Moods IV

Analysis
by Fleur


My peaceful rest, of closed eyes and ignorant bliss, is suddenly interrupted by the shrill ringing of the phone. I manage to open, with considerable effort, one eye, lifting the lid at least to half-mast, and glare at it.

The phone apparently doesn't plan to stop ringing without a fight, and I momentarily consider shooting the damn thing. However, it's probably not worth the extra expense, or having to explain to my neighbours.

Luckily, the answering machine clicks on, and I happily bury my face in one of the cushions again, drowning out the sound of my own voice.

After the tone, there's a pause, as if the person calling has drawn a breath. Then, a muttered, "Oh, fuck."

I frown, moving my head to the top of my pillow and watching the machine, in half-interest. I don't recognise the voice, and I don't know who would be calling me.

"Yeah. Mulder, it's Alex Krycek."

Alex... what the fuck is Alex Krycek up to? First he sends me a card. Okay, sure, I can put that down to loneliness. Fine. Nothing completely disturbingly unusual about that. But calling me, and waking me up? Destroying the one moment of peace, of happiness I've had all day?

Simply out of curiousity, I reach over and pick up the phone.

"What do you want?"

"Thought you might be lurking," he replies, but his voice is hollower than usual. "How's Christmas?"

I wonder what he wants. It's not like Krycek to openly be so friendly. He always has a hidden agenda. Always. "Why the hell do you care?"

"I don't."

At least he's honest. I adjust my position so I'm lying back on the couch, looking out the window. "Then what do you want?"

"Can't I just call up in the interest of friendship?"

I'm stunned into surprised silence for a while, then recover. "Friendship? You can't be serious."

There's no answer, and I shake my head in disbelief. "Krycek, if you consider me a friend, I don't know who your enemies are, but I'd hate to meet them."

"So would I," he shoots back in reply.

His voice has a strange intonation, one which I don't recognise. Not that I pride myself on knowing all the different voice tones the man has (although such a qualification would look interesting on my resumé), but it sounds almost injured. Hurt somehow.

"Have you gone insane," I ask him slowly, patiently, "Or is it just my imagination?"

"Can I just have my own reasons for ringing you up?" he replies, suddenly sounding a bit more incensed, "Or do you have to analyse everything?"

"Analysing things is better, I find."

"Well, analyse this, Mulder... I have fucking feelings for you."

He... what?

What?

What the hell?

By the time I get to staring at the reciever strangely, struggling out of shock, I'm speaking to the dialtone. I don't know where that came from, and I don't know what he means by it...

Okay, so that's a lie. I know. I don't want to admit I know, but I know.

Because I've felt...

How the hell I was planning to finish that thought, is beyond me.

Do I even have his number to call back? I don't think so, and the energy to find it out is currently beyond me. He probably just called from some phone booth in San José. Or something along those lines.

I slam the phone down, and lie back, looking up at the roof. I don't know what to think about that conversation. I don't know how to take it, what to do about it.

Alex Krycek.

Alex "I love this country" Krycek.

Damn. When did this happen, and who neglected telling me?

I realise, without noticing, I've brought my left hand up into my line of vision, and am flexing it, moving it. To reassure me it's still there, I suppose. I know how easily it could have been me, there in the forest.

What would it be like to be Krycek? I don't even know where he lives, let alone what his life's like.

Does he have a family? A father, like he denied me?

Perhaps he has a sister, like I used to have.

I've got to stop making these comparisons. I doubt they're healthy.

Is he like me?

Can I find out?

15/12/98

xx

Moods V

angels@watercoloured.org or alexkrycek@innocent.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]