Snow
by Fleur


"Silent Night, Holy Night..."

I hear the carollers on the other side of the street, as I walk briskly towards my apartment building. The singing children are holding candles, and sport very rosy cheeks.

My building's only a block away, but I know it's going to take a while to get there. The beggars are watching me, with hollowed out eyes, a few of them with Christmas hats on, a few others with dogs. I wonder, if they're so poor, how they can afford hats?

There is snow falling, but nothing has settled. It's Christmas Day, and it's cold as. I shouldn't have left the warmth of my apartment just for a walk, but I was bored.

Most people on this day would be with their families, but I am alone. I do have family—my mother, at least—but we don't get on that well. Scully's spending the time with her family. She invited me along, as she always does, but I refused—I don't need to spend time feeling like a tagalong.

A lone flake has settled on my black shoes. I've stopped walking without realising, and am now simply looking down at this snowflake. It's joined by another, then a couple more, before I realise the snow has started getting heavier again.

A child squeals with delight; a girl. I look up, wondering where she is, but don't see. Perhaps it's my imagination.

Keeping my head down, I walk on. A few beggars reach out, up towards me, "Spare some change, mister?" but I ignore them. It's not that I don't have money, or that I don't care as such. I just don't want to get involved.

My pace becomes more clipped, and I look up to see the front of my building has somehow appeared. The snow's coming down harder now, and I open the door in order to enter.

The blast of warmth from the heaters hits me, and I blink a few times. The snowflakes on my clothing are rapidly melting into water, probably those in my hair, also.

A woman nods at me in greeting as I pass her, going into the elevator. I press the button for my floor, and stare at the numbers lighting up until my floor, where I get out.

There's an envelope half-under my door, and I slide it back out. In unfamiliar block writing, my name is scrawled. The black ink has smudged a little, I suppose from when the deliverer brought it over here, in the snow.

I ignore it for the time being, and unlock the door. Compared to the warmth of the hallway, my apartment is cool, and I flick the lights on, then a heater.

I peel off my trenchcoat and gloves, hanging them carelessly on the rack. Moving over to the answering machine, I find I have a message. I sit down on the couch after pressing play.

"Mulder, it's me."

Scully. I smile a little, despite myself. There's background noise behind her voice, which makes me think she's simply taken time out in the middle of a family thing to call me.

"Just ringing to see how you are, Merry Christmas, you know. Hope you're having a good day."

Yeah, right. An empty one, sure. Last night was the last time I came remotely to enjoying myself, and that was probably only because I was drunk.

"Call your mother, Mulder, okay? Just call her."

Sure, Scully. Whatever. I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon.

"Speak to you soon. Bye..."

I smile a little at hearing her voice again, and the machine clicks off. I should call her back, but the conversation would be too one-sided... and I don't want to make her feel bad by telling her how depressing my Christmas is.

Instead of reaching for the phone, I reach for the envelope.

I tear it open to find a simple card, one you buy from any bookstore. A red border, and a Christmas tree, with presents under it, grace the cover. I flick it open to find a simple message...

'Mulder,

Merry Christmas.

-Alex'

Alex? Alex Krycek? Alex "you should try drinking some harder stuff sometime" Krycek?

The man must be lonely, as depressed as he looked last night, if he's sending me a Christmas card. I wouldn't have expected to be on his list. His Christmas card list, anyway.

Without knowing why, I walk over to the computer, and place the card beside it. Then I look out the window, down onto the street.

The snow's started in earnest now, and I can see a couple of kids playing around in it, running through.

I draw the curtains, unwilling to watch the outside, happy-it's-Christmas world for any longer than I have to. I move over and collapse onto the couch. Christmas can wait. Even if it doesn't, I don't really care.

Alex Krycek, sending me a Christmas card. What a joke.

Ignoring the incredibly sad mental picture of me, alone and pathetic on Christmas Day, I close my eyes on the world.

14/12/98

xx

Moods III

angels@watercoloured.org or alexkrycek@innocent.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]