Go to notes and disclaimers


The Alliance
by Czara (Nicole)

Chapter Six
Seduction of a Man


"I'm not asking to grow flowers in the desert
But I can feel and hear and see the sun in wintertime
In a big country
Dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice cross the mountainside stay's alive."
—Big Country

Cabins
Fort Bragg, California
Day Eighteen
Hour 1400

Alex stopped at the steps of Garren's cabin. It had been Garren's since the moment he claimed it. Maggie and the Gunmen hadn't even argued; the Gunmen were happy to stay in their trailer and Maggie assured Dana that she preferred the town anyway. Even Antonio had shrugged off the claim as unimportant, and so it was Garren's, though Alex would bet anything that the man would rather burn the frivolous retreat than actually stay in it.

He didn't want to see Garren just now, he was too furious. Garren would ask a million questions and he was in no mood to explain. He backed away from the door and hoped that for once, just once, Garren wouldn't know he was near.

It was a hope in vain as he backed into Garren's solid frame Garren steadied Alex with a frown. What had enraged his mate now? Had the meeting with the prince not gone well? He bent and kissed the shiny black hair before Alex slipped out of his grip and turned with a frustrated noise.

"Garren, not now! I am..."

"Just about to talk to me," Skinner said smoothly, but there was a thread of steel in his tone, one that made Alex jerk away from Garren guiltily before he remembered himself.

"I don't think you want to talk to me now, Skinner," he managed through clenched teeth.

"Oh but I do," Skinner replied.

Garren enfolded Alex in his arms and his eyes glittered a silent warning. "If you were a wise man, ascendant, you would do well to leave Alex..."

Skinner's jaw danced as the two men glared. He noted with something akin to contempt, how Alex did not throw off the wolf's embrace. He threw Garren away from his assassin and grabbed Alex's arm. "I will speak to you. Now." He turned to watch as Garren seemed to coil to spring at him and he smiled. "Alone."

Garren let out a howl of rage as his mate and the ascendant disappeared. His head swiveled about madly looking for what he knew he would not find.

Some trace of Alex. He felt the rage build and the change in him quickened like some eager child, but he controlled it. He thought of the possible people that the ascendant would have gone to and he set members of his pack to watching them. The mother of the changed female was on the outskirts of the town, near the northern most river. She was following the burial committee and spray painting an orange X on the curb in front of a house that had been cleared of the dead. The fear of disease had been a major motivating factor for the burning of the dead. He waited, motionless, until Antonio and Dana were located on the bank of the lazy river. His pack shied away from the ascendant but stayed close enough to watch the two lovers. Garren grinned darkly as he saw Skinner and Alex appear at Antonio's side. Satisfied that his mate was not far away and under the watchful eyes of many of his pack, he let his curiosity of the prince draw him toward the cabin in which he slept.

He made his way silently to the sleeping form and stared down at the cause of Alex's turmoil. His nostrils flared at the intoxicating scent. What lovely skin exposed by negligent sheets. He crouched near and listened to the soft breathing, tilting his head slightly, considering the bounty before him.

Skinner was a fool to leave his sweet prize so tenderly alone and vulnerable.

He reached out a hand and lightly touched the full lips, lips made for pleasure, for surely there was no other practical use for such softness.

Alex loved this human, fiercely. That, rather than fear of Skinner, kept Garren's touch light and gentle. There was exhaustion painted on the pretty face even in sleep and Garren withdrew his hand. A wolf could but take one mate, but had he not already claimed his, this male would be more than satisfactory. As it was he was firmly pledged to Alex and would place no other before him, but he could always sample this male at a later date, when all was settled. Alex might even enjoy watching this one pant and beg with need. Skinner, on the other hand, would not. Garren grinned, imagining the big ascendant's reaction to Garren taking Fox. He could scent the little prince's sex and he clenched his teeth. How easy to draw back the sheet, part the long legs and coax that sex to life with his mouth, his lips, his teeth, his tongue all working together to make the pretty beg. With a sigh he left the room, once more having cause to wonder at the wisdom of taking a human mate. A wolf would have gladly shared, would not have dared to even think of refusing to share. Alex, Garren thought. What a troublesome little cat. Garren left the cabin and looked to the sky. Even in the brightness of day he could sense the moon waxing full. It was calling to him, to hunt, to run free, to slaughter. That was one thing Alex could never keep him from. Soon he would resist the call no longer and he would run with the moon.

xx

Alex wasted no time with looking at Dana or Antonio. He pulled away from Skinner and made to leave.

"We have to talk, Alex," Walter sighed.

"Sir?" Dana gasped, drawing close her unbuttoned blouse, the frilly, sapphire blue camisole beneath a stark contrast to her ivory flesh. "Skinner? Is Mulder... ?"

Skinner looked to his agent and nodded brusquely. "Fox is sleeping now, Scully."

"Is he okay?" she asked, standing, leaving Antonio to recline on the soft, scented grass alone.

"Oh he's okay all right, Scully!" Alex hissed. "Skinner here just made sure he didn't remember that he and I are lovers!"

Skinner sighed. "He doesn't remember any of us, Scully. Try not to barge in like a certain bull I know," Skinner drawled.

She raised a brow and then nudged Antonio with her foot. "Antonio, let's go," she urged, trying to ignore the heated atmosphere between Skinner and Krycek.

Alex waited until the two vanished and he turned on Skinner. "You just couldn't resist could you? Fox, vulnerable, not remembering anything. You couldn't resist putting in his mind that it's you he loves. Why? Are you hoping that once he remembers everything, and he will remember everything, that he will still feel the same way about you?"

Skinner shook his head. "Alex, it wasn't like that."

"Bull shit!"

"When I spoke of the others, Fox could remember small things about them, not what they looked like but little things. With you... and yes I did speak of you, with you it was as if it hurt to try and remember you... like he couldn't even try."

"Why should I believe you?" Alex sneered. "You kept him for four days, four fucking days, Skinner. You could have brought him back immediately, but you kept him to yourself, fucking him, with no thought to how the rest of us were going out of our minds!"

Skinner shook his head. "If you had seen how he was, wanting to go back to Mikhail, the vampire who had taken him, you would understand. He was scared, overwhelmed. I didn't want to place him in an environment where everyone was..."

"Oh cut the crap, will you? You think you are the only one who could have soothed him? He's my lover, Scully is his best friend, the Gunmen even would have been a better choice. At least they wouldn't have fucked him when he was confused."

Skinner remained stubbornly silent.

"You did this before, Skinner. You got me out of the way, sent me to help get Maggie, and you fucked him then, too. We fucking told you we would accept you! What more do you want?" Alex shook his head. "No, don't answer that. I know what you want."

"And what is it that I want, Alex?"

"You want Fox's love!"

"That I already had, assassin. Before all of this, I had it. I don't want what you think I do. I didn't like leaving you alone so long." His face darkened. "And I can see the fruits of that for myself. Tell me, Alex, how long after Fox was abducted did you wait before giving yourself to Garren?" His own jealousy burned bright, but he noticed the pained look that crossed the pretty face and he wished he could take back the words, no matter how true they were.

"I didn't... he just... listen, stop trying to change the conversation," Alex hissed desperately. His own guilt was like a tidal wave. What would Fox think?

"This is the conversation, Alex. Fox and you belong to me. I do what I think is best. I can't regret going after him and I couldn't have retrieved him with you along to slow me down. I would have gone after you as well had you been the one taken."

"But I bet you wouldn't have tried to convince me that I wasn't in love with Fox!"

"I never told Fox that he didn't love you. In fact I think he is a bit jealous of you," Skinner sighed. "He knows what I feel for you, but he doesn't understand the rest."

"The Rest? Oh, yes. The rest being that he loves me," Alex argued.

"Maybe I did want him to love me as much as he loves you, maybe I did keep him for that, but I swear to you it wasn't my motivation, Alex. If I knew that by leaving you alone for so long that you would cleave to Garren, I would have come sooner. I thought you might resist..."

"This isn't about me and Garren," Alex ground out. "Much as you would like to make it. This is about you!"

"What would you like me to do, Alex? I want you and Fox to be happy. I know he wants to remember you, he has dreams that wake him, crying. I know he is trying to remember you. Do you think I want... that I like him to be tortured?" Skinner growled. Now furious, but not only with Alex, with himself as well. It had been partially self-motivation that had kept him from Alex's side.

Alex blanched a bit. "You asked me what I wanted you to do. Do you mean that you would do what I asked?"

"If it wasn't to let you two go off alone... yes. I don't want to have anything like what's happened happen again. I am not keeping you prisoners, but understand that it isn't safe for you... or Fox anymore."

Alex considered him, weighed the truth of his words. "Not going off alone, but being alone. No interference from you, no you trying to make your claim. Just Fox and me. He'll sleep alone until he asks me to sleep with him. You won't interfere. You won't touch either of us until he remembers. That's what I want. That is the only thing that would show to me your sincerity," Alex challenged.

Skinner's eyes flared red for an instant, the urge to crush the rebellion in his little assassin, strong. He wanted to take Alex in his arms and capture the red lips with his own, bend him to his will. Reclaim him from Garren's touch. But the pain in Alex's eyes when he realized that Fox didn't know him made him pause. The excitement when Alex realized that Fox was back, the four days he had kept Alex from that happiness made him nod. "Fine. We will be leaving soon for San Francisco. We will travel by car, slowly. When we make camp you and Fox can be left alone, but I will not let Fox think I don't love him. That would be cruel."

Alex considered this. Knowing he had received more than he expected and not really sure why Skinner was allowing it. "Agreed, but you aren't to have sex with him," he clarified.

"And you aren't to have sex with Garren," Skinner added. Raising his brows when Alex nearly choked. "Is that a problem, Alex?" he whispered dangerously. His blood was pounding, Alex was his. He knew that the change had made Alex and his kind ready and willing for sex, but there could be only one master of this pretty human. Knowing that changed human's lust for sex was primarily a self-defense mechanism, to keep them from going stark raving mad from the attentions of all those who would die to taste their embrace, didn't ease Skinner's mood.

"It is not," Alex whispered. Already wondering how he could ever expect Garren to obey that edict. Garren seemed to care little for what anyone thought or wanted. Except me, a little voice in his head reminded him. And it was true, Garren did seem to want to please him. He shook his head. What was important here was his relationship with Fox.

"Fine. If you do, Alex, all bets are off. I will not stand by while you act the..."

"Don't say it," Alex warned. "Don't fucking say it."

"Fine, I won't say, but don't act on your impulse to spread your legs. I know you can't truly help yourself, but if you need to be taken, there is only one person other than Fox who has that right. And don't you forget it."

Alex stared into the fierce, red eyes and felt himself nodding, dumbly.

"I will put up with a lot from you, Alex, but this is one thing that you will obey me in. Garren is not, will never be, your lover."

Alex nodded again, but he knew that it wasn't true. In the same way that Skinner was his lover, by right of power and conquest, so too was Garren his lover.

"Then let's get back to him," Skinner finally said, his eyes still red for want of Alex, but determined to keep his word. Until Fox remembered Alex, Skinner would not dally with either of them. But should Alex disobey him and slink off to meet Garren, he would be forced to remind the young assassin just to whom both he and Fox belonged.

xx

Cabins
Fort Bragg, California
Day Eighteen
Hour 1930

When Fox opened his eyes it was getting dark in the room. Little shadows were creeping along the walls making fluttering images on there. He stared at the shadows for a bit until his eyes turned to the source. The curtains of the window flapped lazily, the dying sunlight caught in the flapping folds. His heart started to pound in tandem with the sound of the distant surf and he saw that window, darker, the wind moving the curtains then too... something outside calling to him... others in another room arguing. It wasn't the one that called to him that he struggled to remember, but another whose voice was just loud enough to hear, angry, no, frustrated. His heart thudded desperately, he was close to something, black lashes, gentle touch, skin like worn velvet. He could see himself, taking off his gun... straining to hear the conversation beyond. The flap of the curtains continued.

He could almost make out the ghostly words. He pressed his hands to his head and cried out in frustration. Why couldn't he remember? He wanted to scream, but the image was gone.

He got out of bed and could hear people talking just beyond the door.

It was hushed conversation, an attempt not to waken him he knew. A female voice spoke and the familiar tone sent a chill through him. She would have red hair, eyes so blue that the sky looked dull. He didn't understand it, but he was eager to see her. He hurriedly dressed and rushed out of the bedroom. His eyes alighted on first Skinner. Paused for a considerable moment on Alex, before searching her out. She was in the small kitchen pouring water into a small glass. She was tiny, he thought with a frown. Somehow he had pictured her larger. "I heard you talking," he said for want of anything else to say.

When she turned to him with a little gasp he grinned. "I know your voice."

He missed the flash of pain in Alex's eyes at his words. The woman hurried to his side, hugged him briefly, affectionately, before proceeding to eye him clinically, running her hands down his arms.

"Mulder! Are you okay? I've been..." she paused and looked to Alex, "we've been worried sick."

"Do you remember her?" Skinner asked hopefully.

"I don't know," Mulder sighed. "I recognized her voice." He beamed. "I really did!"

She smiled, "That's understandable, you've been hearing me nag you for years.

I'd have to wonder if you couldn't recognize it." She led him to the couch and he was painfully aware of how close Alex was standing to it. He risked a glance at the man, so beautiful that his heart thudded a bit, but the face was completely void of expression. If anything he looked utterly bored.

"What has Skinner told you?" the woman with the wonderful eyes asked.

He heard a small snort come from Alex, but when he looked at him there was just that boredom there. "Not a lot. Just that there has been something, some event that has changed the world... making it like some nasty fairytale."

"What about you? What do you know of your past?" She sat next to him and he took a breath. "Walter told me I was an FBI agent, but I don't remember that. I remember bits and pieces of my childhood. Beyond that I remember strange things. Like faceless people, living dolls, and killer beetles." He looked embarrassed. "And though this is odd I remember a name, one that seems so important to me, Samantha."

"Your sister," the woman stated and smiled gently at his excited gasp. "My name?"

"I guess from what Walter has told me that it is either Maggie or Dana Scully... no it is Dana. I know that." And he did. Alex shifted a bit and he was very aware of the coiled strength in that body. He's dangerous, Fox thought. It wasn't a matter of memory rather than a matter of perception.

He had been an FBI agent, that would have been a wonderful training ground for learning about dangerous men. He risked yet another glance up at Alex.

His eyes met the jade green and his mouth went dry.

"Yes, Maggie is my mother. You and I are partners. We have been for a lot more years than anyone would have bet on us staying together."

"And they tried to split us up," he added. His eyes widened. "I don't know where that came from. But who are they?"

"People who we don't have to worry about anymore," Scully assured him. "Do you remember anything else?"

"Images really," he admitted. "Sometimes, when I am waking I think I might remember it all, like it is there just on the edge of my perception. It's frustrating as hell. I know you're all here, but it's like I'm missing something! Something that is driving me crazy." He rose abruptly and ran a hand through his hair. "What did he do to me?" he whispered, torn. He felt a gentle hand on his back and he looked up, startled to find that it was Alex, a look of concern and sorrow in his vivid eyes.

"You're going to be okay, Fox," Alex said so softly, Fox had to strain to hear him.

"I want to remember." He looked away from Alex. "I was so excited to recognize Dana's voice, but..."

"But what?" Alex asked, his hand still slowly stroking Fox's back.

"I don't know. I feel like I'm missing more than memories. I can't explain it."

"Try," Alex urged.

Fox stared at him again. Black lashes so thick it was hard to tell how they could all fit on the lids. He stared in silence for a moment. "I feel like I need to do something, be somewhere, but I don't know what. It's like a dream." He drew reluctantly away from Alex and went to Skinner's side. He wrapped his arms about Skinner's waist and sighed, resting his head on Skinner's broad shoulder.

"Don't strain yourself, Fox. It'll all come back to you," Skinner soothed.

"So you keep telling me," Fox grumbled.

"It will. The longer you are separated from Mikhail the easier it will be," Skinner assured him softly.

"Mikhail?" Scully looked at Skinner with confusion. "Was he the vam... the one who took Mulder?"

Skinner simply nodded.

"And he caused Mulder to forget who he was? For what purpose?" Scully rose and shook her head. "Was it some attempt at control?"

"I think that is partially the reason. The other was to keep me from finding him," Skinner replied as he bent to kiss Mulder's cheek. One glance at Alex's face and he straightened with a frown.

"How did you find him, sir?" Scully asked. She wanted to be left alone with Mulder, to talk to him without any interference but she knew that Alex wouldn't even consider leaving his side.

"It's a long story, but to cut to the chase I gave up tracking Fox and joined up with a group of travelers, pretended to be hum..." He stopped abruptly and cleared his throat. "Pretended to be just another traveler. I wanted to be attacked by other vampires... or be near when they attacked so that I could find out everything about them, if there was anything that would help me track the one that had Fox. It didn't take long until I got what I wanted. After that tracking Mikhail was easier. He had this penchant for sending me images of what he was doing to Fox... it was a tactical mistake on his part," Skinner finished grimly.

Fox pulled away from him with an embarrassed scowl. "You never told me that you knew what he and I... did... I never knew that. Why would he do that?" Fox clenched his fists. Of all the memories he lacked he wished he could void himself of the still clear memories of Mikhail and the things they had done. Black eyes, soft lips and the blood, always the blood. He felt sick suddenly. He had been fed upon, fed upon and fucked by something out of a nightmare and he had wanted it. "Oh God," he groaned desperately, feeling the bile surge in his throat. He ran toward the bathroom and made it just in time, voiding what little there was in his stomach. A wet cloth was pressed to his lips as his neck was rubbed. He looked up, somehow not surprised to see Alex kneeling beside him, though he had not heard the man enter after him.

"You're safe now, Fox," Alex gritted out. Skinner came to the door but one look from Alex and he retreated with a look of concern on his strong features.

Fox wondered at that. Why would Alex glare at Skinner? He shook his head and tried to stop thinking of blood running down his chest as he watched himself in the mirror. Heaving again at the memories, he bent forward, feeling Alex's strong arm wrap around him, his voice pressed to his ear, whispering soft unintelligible words of comfort as Fox shuddered. When he could, he took a sip of water. "I can't stop thinking about it, Alex. I thought... I thought he was my lover... but he fed on me." He raised wet eyes to Alex's. "I couldn't tell this to Walter, but when he fuck... had sex with me he would always feed... I didn't know that it was wrong... it felt so good."

He closed his eyes and wrapped his arms about his waist, dropping his head down. Alex made an angry noise and Fox found himself drawn to the muscled body. "I didn't want Walter to know," he whispered. "When I realized that it was wrong, that Mikhail was a monster, I didn't want him to know."

"He, none of us think any differently about you, ba... Fox . If you had your memories you could probably recite to me all the ways that vampires can seduce their victims. You would know that this wasn't your fault."

"I know it isn't, but it doesn't change how I feel."

"And how do you feel?" Alex asked gently, not being able to keep from kissing Mulder's lowered head.

"Dirty... but something else too. It's like I know the feeling... like I've felt it before."

Alex helped him to his feet. "You'll be fine. You're the strongest person I know. You'll be fine."

"I am? Strong?" Fox asked, lifting his head.

Alex grinned a little. "Stubborn might be the word I was looking for, but strong is up there too." Alex touched Fox's cheek fleetingly.

"Do you know me? I mean before all this... the change, did you know me?" His eyes met Alex's again and he nearly forgot his question. Where had he gotten the idea that Alex was dangerous? He was clearly an extremely gentle and sweet person. Perhaps it had been the shock of seeing Mulder back in the fold that had sent him off on a tirade against Skinner. That still didn't make sense really. Alex had been excited to see him, ecstatic even. He'd kissed him! It was only after he realized that Mulder was with Skinner that he had lost it. Whatever the case, he must not have been a good agent if he could have thought for one moment that this gentle, young creature was dangerous. He was too beautiful to be anything but what he looked, an angel.

"I knew you." The words were given in a husky voice and Fox frowned. Alex gritted his teeth and led Fox to the bedroom. "Do you want to rest?"

Fox shook his head, but sat down on the bed. "I want to do something... anything. I feel pent up."

Alex bit his upper lip and narrowed his eyes, considering his forgetful lover. "Maybe you need to run. You haven't done that for awhile. I'm sure it would be good for you... exercise always seemed to clear your mind before." He was thinking of the best way to give Mulder what he needed without endangering him. "There's a community center in town, I think it has a track behind it."

"Actually that sounds great," Fox answered. "I think I would like that. Is the town far?"

xx

"No. A quick trip actually. I was going to go there later today anyway, but then you came back and... well I didn't go. It's getting late so if you want to go, we should get going." Alex was doing his best to remain normal, to not push Mulder back on the bed and kiss him until he remembered everything... or just to kiss him until he could convince himself that everything would be okay. More than anything he wanted to lay on the bed and hold Mulder tight. So tight that no one could ever take him away again. He settled for going to find Mulder something to wear. He sorted through the various clothes they had picked up and those that remained from the previous occupants while Mulder stared at him. "Hey, look, a sexy sweat suit that might fit you."

Mulder frowned at the baby blue sweatsuit and sighed. "Sexy huh? I'll look like a Skittle."

Alex laughed, his face transformed into something wonderful, entrancing Mulder who had to look away guiltily.

"A Skittle? Oh so are you soft and chewy... and fruity?" He wiggled his eyebrows at Mulder until Mulder grinned.

"I think I am more a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup kind of guy," Mulder smiled as he stood to accept the shiny, blue tracksuit.

"Oh yeah, that's exactly what you are," Alex purred.

Mulder raised a brow and asked, "Why do I get the feeling I should be careful what I say around you?" when Alex just chuckled and crossed his arms over his muscled chest Mulder sighed. "And why are you agreeing with me?"

"Oh you know... there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's," Alex grinned.

Fox blushed furiously and tried to think of what to say in reply to that. "Oh," he rebutted brilliantly before falling into embarrassed silence. Alex was... well he was definitely a character. He's young, he told himself, though he had no clue as to his own age, or even why he could remember things like Reese's, Skittles and the Big Mac but not who his parents were or his friends.

Alex watched as the flush on Fox's face settled down and he devoured every part of the beloved face. "You can get dressed. I'll be good," he promised as he made a show of covering his eyes.

Fox hurriedly undressed, keeping a wary eye on the scamp. When he was properly festooned in the too-large running suit he gave an exasperated sigh. "I'm decent, you can open your eyes." He looked a himself in the mirror and chuckled. "Walter will love me in this, don't you think, Alex?" He saw the smile go off Alex's face as if it had never resided there. And when the hands were removed there was only the bored young man he'd glimpsed in the living room. He felt guilty then. Alex did love Walter, too. And despite his earlier vow to keep Walter to himself, a vow he had made before meeting Alex, he had no desire to hurt the beautiful young man. He cleared his throat. "Maybe I have some running shoes too."

"I think I saw a pair there. Skinner must have gotten them before you were taken." Alex stood and went to the door. "I'll go tell him we're leaving." A bitter look passed over the fine features. "We need him to start the car."

Mulder nodded and watched as Alex left. Mercurial didn't even begin to start describing Alex, that was for sure. When he had put on socks and the shoes he left the room again. Skinner sat on the couch, alone. "Hey, you," Mulder smiled and went to him. "I'm going to run... want to come?" He knelt at Skinner's feet and placed his hands on the strong thighs, squeezing appreciatively.

"No, I think I'll stay here, try to convince the Gunmen to start on dinner. You'll be back soon right?"

Mulder nodded. "Yeah. Alex says that there is a community center in town. He says that running used to relax me." He grinned then. "I know something even better though," he husked out bending to nibble on Skinner's knee.

Skinner smiled. "You are incorrigible, aren't you?"

"Do you mind?"

"Not in the slightest. But, go on. Alex is waiting." Skinner hoped that Mulder would remember Alex soon. He wanted to take Mulder in his arms... to go out and drag Alex out of the car and make them both beg and scream. But, he had promised Alex and in his heart he knew that it was the best thing for them all. Mulder wouldn't thank him for anything less once he regained his memories. While Mulder loved him he was sure of that, Mulder was in love with Alex. Only time could change that, not some mind fuck.

Mulder stood and bent to kiss Walter. "I'll be back. Do you want anything while I'm there?"

Skinner smiled. If he wanted anything, he could simply get it. It was sweet though. "No, Fox, go on. And don't let Alex keep you out too long."

Mulder smiled and headed out to meet Alex. He found Alex standing beside a white Range Rover talking heatedly with the biggest man Mulder was sure he had ever seen. From behind the man looked like a giant, silky blond hair tied back in a simple ponytail. His shoulders appeared to be five feet across though Mulder knew that couldn't be possible. "Hello," he said as he approached.

Alex's mouth clamped shut and he looked at Mulder with a small smile before stepping back from the big man. When the man turned Mulder frowned. He was young. Younger than Alex. Surely barely twenty. And beautiful. A smile curved the full lips and the man looked him up and down.

"Alex tells me you are going to go running." His voice was deep, silky, amused.

Mulder looked to Alex. "That's right. And you are?"

"This is Garren. Ignore him," Alex grumbled.

Fox felt a tightening in his stomach. Images of teeth, of claws dripping with blood, motion so fast it blurred... beating sounds above him, fire illuminating the darkness as things... unknown things... screamed in pain. Someone screaming his name... 'baby, we have run... '

"Fox! Fox, are you okay?"

Mulder shook his head to find Alex in front of him shaking him. "I'm fine... I just..."

"You zoned out," Alex said worriedly. "Maybe you should be in bed."

"Oh he definitely should be in bed," Garren chuckled.

Alex glared at him. "Don't even think about it," he hissed.

Garren simply smiled.

Mulder shrugged off Alex's hands. "Really, I'm okay. I just thought I remembered something... it's nothing. Please... let's just go. Garren, it was... nice to meet you," he managed to say, not knowing why he immediately disliked the man.

"I'll see you soon," Garren purred. "Talk to the old man soon," he added with a dark smile hovering on his face.

"What old man?" Mulder asked, confused.

"Just get in the car, Fox. He talks too much," Alex urged.

When Alex was closing his door, Garren stopped him and leaned in. "Tell Skinner that I'll not follow his little edict, cat."

Alex flushed and remained silent. When Garren pulled back he shut the door with a angry slam. He pulled away and sped up the darkening road. After a few minutes of silence he turned a quick glance at Mulder. "Don't let him get to you, Fox. He isn't important."

"Isn't he your lover?" Fox asked. "The Gunmen said you two were tight."

Alex frowned. "Some people should learn to keep their mouths shut."

"It's not true then? I didn't get the impression that they were liars." For some reason the very idea of someone calling the three goofy men liars, made Fox angry and it showed in his tone.

Alex did want to have this conversation. Not now. Not ever if he could get away with it. "Garren isn't what he seems, Fox. He's not human."

Fox moved his head back in surprise. "Do I want to know?"

"No," Alex answered tersely. He sighed then. "This isn't exactly how I wanted things to go, Fox. I hope you know that." He frowned darkly. "Just tell me this. Skinner did kill the fucking bastard that took you didn't he?"

Fox shook his head. "I don't know. I... he was burning... I don't want to talk about it."

Alex turned to look at him, there was no trace of anger or boredom, just that solicitous concern. "It's okay. You don't have to."

"I'm sorry," Fox sighed. "I think I am not usually this high-strung. It's just been... weird."

Alex nodded and after a moment he said, "But you are always high-strung, Fox." When Fox gave him a shocked look, he shrugged. "Sorry, but you are. Brilliant, driven, loyal to a fault, tenacious like you wouldn't fucking believe, beautiful, paranoid and yes, high-strung."

Mulder flushed again. Every word had sounded like a caress. "Oh," he said. Grinning himself he added, "but wordy I ain't!"

Alex smiled, confused. "What?"

"I never know what to say to you, but 'oh'," he explained.

"Yeah, 'oh... oh... oh'," Alex teased, every syllable a sexual gasp.

Mulder flushed even hotter. "You... you are a flirt!" he accused, disconcerted further when Alex just laughed.

"That is something I can honestly say, no one has accused me of before. A Flirt. Hmm. I think I like it."

"Well just concentrate on driving and stop it," Mulder scolded.

"Why, am I bothering you?" Alex teased, enjoying the hot look on Fox's face. Even in the dim light he could see the flush. He knew it. Fox was on the edge of being turned on. God, he wanted to turn him all the way on... just pull the Range Rover over to the side of the road and show Fox just how he really gasped and groaned that little word.

Fox shifted uncomfortably in the seat. Hearing Alex gasp out 'oh' breathlessly, even when he had just been teasing had made him hot, embarrassed and guilty and hot. Would Alex gasp like that if someone licked the little crevice of his throat... the tender spot behind his ear? He shifted again, trying to ignore the sudden heaviness in his groin. "No... no I just think we should just go down... go to town I mean. Go to town and run," he said flustered.

Alex was suddenly reminded of that first night as lovers. How flustered Fox had been, how his words, every word seemed to connote some sexual vision. Of course at the time he had simply thought that Fox was ill, that was until Fox had molested him. Oh God, why couldn't Fox molest him again? "Okay. I'll be good. I promise," he said huskily, staring at Fox quickly from beneath the shelter of inky lashes.

"Somehow I think I should doubt you," Fox muttered, controlling himself with an effort.

Fort Bragg Community Center
Fort Bragg, California
Day Eighteen
Hour 2030

They made it into town quickly, but for Fox it was a long drive. He couldn't resist taking long looks at Alex. Alex was so beautiful, the features almost too pretty, saved from femininity by the strong jaw and the surprising ability to look so serious. Too serious for one so young and gentle. They reached their destination, the Community Center was sitting dark in the wake of the sun's passage. Gone were the days of fluorescent light. Alex wondered grimly how long it would be before he would stop expecting the little luxuries of the past civilization.

"Well there certainly is a community center, but there aren't any lights," Fox observed. The sun was nearly completely down only giving off a few last, stubborn rays that barely trickled through the high windows of the community center gym. Fox had decided to run inside the center when they arrived, seeing that the track beyond was completely covered with darkness. "I should just run tomorrow," he sighed.

"No. You want to run now, we'll figure out a way. Get lanterns or something," Alex insisted stubbornly. They both stood in the doorway to the gym. Alex didn't like the long shadows that liberally covered the cold room. Fox stepped inside and Alex was able to stop his instinctive urge to drag Fox back. He frowned and kept right behind him. "It's a bit dark, Fox, maybe we should just not explore."

Fox chuckled, the smooth sound going straight to Alex's groin and for a moment he forgot the shadows and the things that might lurk therein.

"Don't worry, Alex, I'll protect you from the bogeyman," Fox assured as he walked to the center of the gym, standing in a beam of pale light. He stared up at the dust motes that were barely visible in the light and he shook his head. "Tomorrow will be soon enough." He turned to go back to Alex, only to find Alex right behind him. He bumped into the other man with a small exclamation of surprise at his nearness. Alex reached out to steady him, his strong hands firm on Fox's upper arms. A moment passed with the two just staring at one another until even that luxury vanished into shadow.

Alex breathed in Fox's scent. God it had been an eternity since he had had the pleasure of holding his lover, feeling their bodies rub against each other... and eternity since he had kissed the fucked-dazed expression off of Fox's face. His body strained in protest at the denial of its lover.

Fox stood, very aware that his erection was but millimeters from Alex's body. He sucked in air to desperate lungs. His eyes widened in surprise when he heard a small groan come from Alex. One that made him want to eat Alex alive.

"Alex... you... do you think we should just go back"?," Fox asked. The proximity of the other man was too much of a temptation. He stepped back and looked away from the sweet face. He sensed that Alex was moving closer and he held up his hand to stop him. "Alex, stop."

"Stop what?" Alex stroked Fox's face. "This?" The feel of Fox's face, stubbled and warm beneath his palm was heaven. Fox. Here with him. Wanting him, even if he didn't understand it. Alex understood then how someone would say they could die happy. That had always seemed, to him, a moronic sentiment, but now he understood. He smiled as Fox rubbed his face into his hand, the soft lips grazing Alex's palm.

"Yes, stop," Fox moaned. He knew he should not let the young man get under his skin, but he just wanted to taste those pink lips, to touch the muscular body everywhere. He gasped as he was drawn tight to that body. God, Alex was so tight, so hot. That thought led to another. How hot, how tight would he really be?

"I can't stop, baby, not now that I have you back. I can't... I can't... I have to touch you, kiss you. God." Alex was trembling as he bent to claim Fox's mouth. "Can't stop, Fox," he sighed. His lips grazed Fox's lightly. In seconds he would have to rape him he knew. Throw him down and reclaim what was his, but for now there was only butterfly kisses over ripe lips, over that tempting mole, all the while the blood throbbing in his erection an insistent reminder that this was the man he loved more than life itself. Fox's hands, hesitant at first, were suddenly avid in their exploration. Alex shuddered as those wonderful hands moved around him to cup his ass. "Fox," he moaned. "Fox. My Fox. My beautiful, beautiful, Fox." The name became a litany on his lips, carried in the darkening room in a voice that was almost tearful.

The emotion in Alex's voice served to break Fox out of his lustful daze. Something was wrong here. Alex was too emotional... he was missing something important and it made him draw back abruptly. "What's going on?" He could barely see Alex now and considering his raging passion that was definitely a plus. "This is wrong..."

"No, Fox, this is the only thing that isn't wrong. Can't you see that? Can't you remember that? Please, baby, remember that," Alex begged. "I need to you to remember that."

Fox looked away from the shadowy figure. He saw movement in the shadows on the east wall of the gym and he started. Alex reached for him again, but he turned so his back was to the young man, shielding him from whatever lurked in the darkness. He spread his arms out to further shield Alex and he moved backwards. "Something is in here, Alex," he whispered. To the darkness he called, "Who's there?" He narrowed his eyes, determined to protect the angel behind him, the sweet youngster who confused him more than his lack of memory. No sooner had he called out than there was a shuffling sound coming from the darkest portion of the gym. He had time to gasp before he was flung behind Alex. "What in the hell?" he growled.

"I know, I know, you can take care of your fucking self," Alex hissed. "Just back toward the door. NOW!"

Fox obeyed, but not before hooking a hand in the waist of Alex's jeans to drag him along with him.

"Let go, Fox," Alex demanded.

"No way," Fox growled.

"Hey, uh... we aren't in any trouble are we?"

"Huh?" both Alex and Fox asked at once. The voice had been young and trembling. Two small figures emerged from the blackness and approached hesitantly.

"Kids?" Fox chuckled. He made to move in front of Alex again but was unceremoniously pushed back.

"Don't assume anything in this fucked up world, Fox. Jesus, I can't believe you are still alive with how careless you are."

"Oh yeah? Well..."

"Are we?" the little boy asked again as he came to a halt before the two bickering men. He looked at his friend and with a little shrug they both ran out of the gym. Sneaking a cigarette was getting too complicated anyway.

The two men watched as the youths were illuminated briefly in the headlights of their vehicle, moving like wraiths in the night. Fox rubbed his arm where Alex had grabbed him and he followed in the wake of the boys. "You know, Alex, I get the distinct impression that you bug me," he growled. "You might think that muscle mass is the most important thing in a fight, but I've got age and experience on you. Need I remind you that I was an FBI agent?" He shook his head at the younger man who had followed him out. The headlights illuminated the bright blue of his running suit, the sheen nearly blinding him. He must look like some alien in the light. He paused at that thought almost missing Alex's chuckle. The sound was pleasant and he looked at Alex with a small grin beginning to form in response to the happy sound.

"I tell you, Fox, the more things change, the more things stay the same."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you always bitch at me for trying to protect you and you always bring up the agent crap... like I wasn't one too... to say nothing of what else I was... am."

Fox was trying to absorb the words, both the facts and the sense of history behind them. "You were an agent? Jesus, you are a kid!"

Alex frowned. "I am most certainly not a kid! I might be younger than you, but I am not a kid."

"Well, you might have been an agent, but you couldn't have been a good one," Fox judged.

Alex groaned. "I don't even want to know why you have reached that conclusion."

"Well, first you didn't even know we weren't alone..."

"You didn't either," Alex barked, though he was, in fact, very disturbed by that very same thing. Whatever had happened to change him was making him so easily distracted. Usually it was when he was with Fox, so distracted by his presence that he was deaf and blind to the things around him. He shook his head. Though he would have always been slightly distracted by Fox, his old self would never have completely relaxed, tantalizing though Fox was.

"I have just gone through a traumatic experience... I am supposed to be..." he snapped his fingers, searching for the word he wanted.

"Ditzy?" Alex offered helpfully.

Fox glared at him and climbed into the driver's seat. He waited until Alex clambered in and continued, "distracted. I am supposed to be distracted. And, second, you can't even tell a child from a monster."

Alex shook his head. "I don't think it is a safe bet that things are what they seem."

"Oh stop talking in that Obiwan Kenobi way, will you?"

Alex chuckled. "You are too much. I am more a Han Solo guy."

"Oh great, now we're onto Star Wars. Have we ever had a normal conversation?"

"No," Alex grinned. "Normal has never been our strong point."

"Our?" Fox had that feeling again. The feeling that there was something important just beyond his cognizance.

"Yeah. Fox?"

"What?"

"What exactly did Skinner tell you about me... about us?"

Fox frowned. "I told you that already. And why do you call him Skinner? He said he and you... well you are lovers aren't you?"

Alex glowered. "Is that what he said? Did he happen to mention that you and I were lovers?"

Fox flushed and felt his pulse begin a steady thrum straight to his groin. "He may have mentioned that," he admitted in an embarrassed voice. "I didn't know what to make of that. Why would I... we... be in a relationship like that? I guess it is different now. I mean you have Garren."

Alex flinched. "I do not have Garren. Jesus, what a mess. You and I are in love. You and I! Not you and Skinner, or me and Garren. Don't you remember that?"

Fox shook his head and his breathing became harsh. He saw black eyes, intent and commanding. His head ached and yet he tried, tried so hard to remember that which he could not. He grabbed his head as the pain increased, but still he tried. A mural above him, green garments so lovely.

"Fox!" Alex cried as his lover lowered his head to the steering wheel. He leaned over to Fox, grabbing his shoulders and bringing Fox to him. "Fox... I'm sorry, what's wrong? You don't have to remember." When Fox whimpered in pain, Alex thought he might lose his mind. "Fox! Stop trying... I'm sorry. We aren't lovers. I was kidding. Just pulling the old chain. C'mon, baby, stop, you're scaring me."

Green. Green silk. Green, jade. 'I'm going to want everything,' a phantom voice, husky with passion. He shivered with pain. Alex was shaking him, his voice cutting through the pain. When he stopped trying to remember the pain vanished. He looked into Alex's eyes, noting the fear there. "I don't understand, Alex. If we love each other, why can't I remember you?" He traced one finger over Alex's cheek. "Why, if we love each other are you with Garren?"

Alex closed his eyes and shook his head. "Why you can't remember me? I don't know. Maybe you... maybe you don't want to... maybe..."

"Why wouldn't I want to?" Fox asked. "Alex, I can tell that you care for me... I can even feel that there is a certain... attraction between us. Please tell me what is going on! I can't stand this. I can't stand not knowing. Can't you see that?"

Alex stroked Fox's face. "I'll tell you anything... everything."

"Thank you," Fox murmured turning to face Alex with his body. He rubbed his lower lip. "I want to know about Garren, for some reason that is what I can't accept." He paused. "Maybe that is understandable... maybe despite my memory lapse, the fact that you have another lover should concern me. Or am I wrong? Is this just another twist to an already confusing tale?"

"Garren is not my lover... not in the way you are... more in the way Skinner is," Alex began. "You and I are in love. We were together before any of this happened... before the world went to shit. Everything else... Skinner, Garren everything is part of this craziness."

"Walter is not crazy!" Fox argued. "He loves me... he loves you."

Alex nodded. "I think he does love you, maybe even me, but if this hadn't happened, if he hadn't changed somehow we wouldn't be with him. We agreed to stay with him, Fox, we did, but only because he could protect us." Alex leaned forward. "We are lovers, Fox. Can't you see how it makes me feel for you to recognize Scully's voice and not mine?"

Alex looked away then and in the lights from the dash Fox could see moisture in those expressive eyes. "And Garren?"

Alex leaned his head back and gave a harsh laugh. "Yeah, Garren. He is another story, isn't he? He pretty much just takes what he wants."

Fox felt a surge of anger. "He rapes you?"

Alex looked out the passenger side window. "I... not anymore."

Fox reached out to touch Alex's face but Alex moved away. "Alex?"

"I can't explain it, Fox, I wish to Christ I could."

"You love him." It was a statement that caused Alex to turn to Fox with a surprised look.

"No!"

Fox nodded.

"No, Fox! I don't."

"I think you do," Fox rasped.

"I only love you. In all my adult life, I have only loved you. If I could get away from Garren, I would. If I could understand what makes him... what makes me want him I would change it. If I could leave this whole fucking thing behind, I would, if I could take you with me." Alex's voice was shaking, not with anger but with emotion of a different nature.

Fox had to look away from those eyes or he felt he might burn in their intensity. "I don't know what to do, Alex. I don't want to leave Walter. I do love him." He heard Alex's expulsion of breath and the pain in that sound hurt him too. "I want to remember you, Alex. Please don't think I don't. If it is true and you and I are in love, how could I not want to?"

"We should get back," Alex rasped.

"I don't want to hurt you," Fox whispered.

"I know you don't." A muscle flexed in Alex's jaw and Fox watched him for a moment.

"Maybe you should drive, Alex."

Alex frowned. "Okay. Why? Are you still in pain?"

The worry on his face made Fox feel ashamed that he had hurt him, even if he had had no desire to do so. "No," he managed. He got out of the car and walked to the passenger side. The night was quiet, too quiet. He felt like he was in a ghost town. No streetlights, no traffic noises, no distant sounds of television. Not even the sound of a barking dog. No insects buzzing. He stopped and looked around him. Distant windows were lit, but with flickering light. Alex put a hand on his shoulder.

"It's eerie isn't it?"

Fox looked at Alex and nodded.

"Let's get you back. I don't want anything else to happen."

"There aren't any sounds," Fox observed. "No birds, no insects..." he stopped abruptly when he saw several pairs of luminous eyes in the darkness around them. Amber lit eyes that winked in and out of the darkness, moving a bit. "Alex?"

Alex followed his gaze and frowned. "C'mon, get in."

Fox slid into the seat, but waited until Alex was safely in before he shut his own door, not wanting to impede any need to go to Alex's aid. "You saw them right?"

"Yeah. I think it's okay, but we need to get back." Alex maneuvered the vehicle back onto the street.

The flash of headlights illuminated several large men with glowing eyes and Fox stared at them in fascination until Alex sped away. "Alex, I swear they had hair growing in and out of their faces. Hairy one second, smooth the next."

"They are too afraid of Skinner and Antonio to stay changed."

"You know what they are?"

Alex nodded, "They're werewolves." He saw Mulder nod, not at all shocked, and he had to smile a little. Only Fox Mulder would take that information with aplomb. "That doesn't surprise you?" he had to ask.

"Werewolves have existed in human folklore for as long as recorded history... longer than that. In some caves in Malaysia, they even found depictions of what looked to be, large, hairy men, tearing to pieces and eating the flesh of warriors." He stopped. "I remember that! And I can't remember that it is my sister whose name is Samantha or who I'm in love with? But I remember there are cave drawings in Malaysia?"

Alex shook his head. "They say all memory is simply electrical impulses tied together with associations. You have enough associations and you can't forget. Of course you have an eidetic memory so whatever you read or see, you never forget so I don't know how it works with you. Maybe if you find enough associations..."

"It's not that, Alex. My memory was taken from me," Fox sighed.

"Fox, I'm no scientist, but memory can't be taken from anyone... it can only be suppressed. Believe me, I have seen it tried"

Fox bit his lower lip, sucking on it while he thought. Alex's little groan broke him out of his reverie and he looked to the other man with a questioning, raised brow.

"Stop that, Fox. Stop sucking on your lip, stop looking so fucking dazed. Unless you want me to stop this car and... just stop it okay?"

Fox smiled a bit. "Sorry. A little too sexy for you?"

"It isn't funny," Alex growled.

xx

"I know," Fox said in a voice that just barely sounded serious. He was looking innocently out the window when Alex glared at him.

'I'm serious, Fox."

"Me too," Fox assured.

"Unless you want me to stop this car and show you how serious I am you just stop."

"Oh, that serious. Hmmm. Do you want to?" he purred. "Make me remember? I wouldn't think that is the best suggestion. I mean there are wolves out there."

"They're Garren's. I think it's safe," Alex growled.

Fox looked at the serious, young man. "Garren is a..."

"Yes!" Alex snapped.

"Oh."

This time there was no teasing by Alex. Fox grew serious. "I'm sorry." Alex remained silent, a flex of muscle his only indication that he had heard Fox at all. "I was teasing. It was supposed to lighten the mood." He got a brief glare for that. "You know, ha ha?"

"Fox, I'm warning you. Stop! It isn't funny. You may think this is no big deal. But while you have no fucking memory of me, I can remember every thing about you. How you taste, how you feel and how you sound when we're making love. I can remember how you would look at me... just stop."

"I'm sorry," Fox whispered. "I didn't mean to upset you. I really didn't."

Alex nodded. And the silence in the car was tangible for the rest of the drive.

McClellan Air Force Base
Sacramento, CA
Day Eighteen
Hour 1430

He walked down the corridor, he didn't hurry though his news was of great importance. The steady sound of his shoes on the tile helped him think. Fox Mulder was back in the fold. Back with Krycek. Were they even now ripping off one another's clothes? Was Alex fingering him as he had done so beautifully that morning? Or was the naughty Fox Mulder down on his knees sucking Alex's cock? He knew the taste so well himself that he reflexively licked his own lips. There were other uses for Krycek that was true. A man like that was invaluable... nearly. He was so sweetly deadly, like a cobra slithering out of its straw basket. Seemingly tamed to the trainer's hand, but viscious and almost certain to strike. Bill's son was lucky to get so close, to stroke the deadly thing and come away unscathed. Perhaps Alex was indeed tamed for Agent Mulder. What would he do for him? Anything? Everything? Would that loyalty extend to anyone who looked like the pretty agent? Or was it for him alone?

There were plans to be made. Plans that had to be quite clear before he reached his destination. That they would take blood from Mulder was a fait accompli. He had already sent word for his men to get the blood the next day. He had even told them how they might get close to the agent. He smiled, he had even warned them of his killer, Krycek. But he must be clever. There had to be a way to keep some little prize for himself. To keep Bill from suspecting anything. That was the trick. Bill Mulder was no one's fool. The door was before him and he paused, finalizing his decision. He entered the room and sat down in a chair near Bill.

"Your wayward child has been returned," he smiled. "But then you must know this already."

"I do," Bill nodded. "As I know that you sent our men to retrieve the samples."

Spender nodded. "Yes."

"So we are in readiness here?"

"We are. As soon as the material is delivered, we can begin. We need to decide an age," Spender added.

"As close to the real age as we can get," Bill said impatiently. "I do not want young clones of my son to be given away." His tone suggested that that would be hideous, while giving away older looking, absolutely innocent clones to be used as carnal pets by a monster was highly acceptable.

"Of course. However, how young does your son look now?"

"It doesn't matter. We are trying to please Murdoch, and he wanted my son as he is... was."

"There is the time consideration as well," Spender purred.

"What age can we attain in the quickest time? Mind you nothing younger than, say twenty-four will be acceptable."

"Such an arbitrary number, Bill. It is all irrelevant in any case. These clones will be as knowledgless as any infant. We never age clones in stasis. Whatever we produce will be childlike."

Bill frowned. "What are you suggesting?"

"A compromise."

"Yes?"

"We age them to the oldest age possible in a limited time... keep them for a week after to expose them to some experience... just enough that we aren't handing over blank slates."

"Why? So they can know that there is another reality other than that of sex slave? We don't even know if they will be changed."

"As I said, it is irrelevant. And in the end, the decision is yours."

Bill stood and walked to the window. "We'll age them past the age of twenty-four. If we have the time, we will give them some basic experiences... how to eat, how to clothe themselves." He stopped. It was all necessary, but distasteful. "How long to age them?"

"Not long. Not with our allies' experience with aging their own young, say two weeks?"

Bill frowned. It wasn't that long, but their allies were growing restless. "You are in charge of this, Spender."

Spender hid a smile. "I think you should be the one to take them to Murdoch. He'll know that you are in charge. He might take offense to an underling being sent to him." His words were smooth, with just the right level of deference.

Bill considered this. "You may be right, old friend."

"And as the father of his obsession, you might even hold some honor in his eyes."

Bill raised a brow. "Honor a man who would sell his own son, or part of him?"

"Murdoch is a man like us. He sees the end beyond the means."

Bill chuckled and poured himself a brandy. "A true end needs no justification, is that it?"

"It has been said, I think."

The two men chuckled together and for awhile they sat and talked of inconsequential things. The plans were set in motion. All they had to do was sit back and wait.

Cabins
Fort Bragg, California
Day Eighteen
Hour 2115

The cabin was brightly lit and both men had their own thoughts about the difference between it and the town. Fox was happy that Skinner was able to provide light and other luxuries, while Alex was resentful of the reminder of how dependent they were on Skinner. He slid out of the expensive vehicle pausing only briefly to assure himself that Fox was coming and continued on toward the cabin. Fox's voice stopped him.

"Alex?"

He sighed, stopped and turned back to Fox. Even in that bright blue sweatsuit, Fox was beautiful. He clenched his fists to keep from dragging Fox to him... to keep from forcing Fox to accept the way things were!

"Don't be angry with me." He reached out and touched Alex's arm. His eyes were earnest and worried, slightly wider than normal, searching Alex's face. "I shouldn't have teased you. It wasn't fair."

Alex shook his head, "I'm not angry with you, Fox... just the situation."

"But, I shouldn't have made fun of you. You were right."

Fox looked down at his feet, looking so much like a little, lost boy who expected to be yelled at that Alex couldn't resist pulling Fox to him and burying his face in Fox's fragrant hair. "I'm the one who should be sorry, baby, you've been through enough, you don't need me to make it worse... to try and force you to remember. It was selfish."

Fox shook his head, not in the slightest bit interested in pulling away, there was something so wonderfully comfortable about being wrapped in Alex's arms. Alex smelled nice, soapy... musky. "No it wasn't. I want to remember. I need help to remember."

Alex made a strange noise and Fox looked up from the warm chest, feeling strangely vulnerable, strangely reluctant to withdraw from the embrace.

"I don't want you to be in pain. If it comes back to you, fine, if not, I want you to promise not to force it. Baby, you were in pain... I can't stand that. I'd rather anything happen to me or anyone else than you be in pain."

Fox stared into the serious, face. The eyes that were so wide, so innocent of the horrors of the world. He reached out a hand to stroke that young face. "I don't want you to worry, Alex. I think I can handle a little pain." He smiled as a dark frowned marred the angelic look of Alex's face. "Don't frown. I think Walter's right. The longer I am away from Mikhail the easier it will be... that is if he didn't really take my memories from me."

Alex didn't look convinced, but the door to the cabin opened and Skinner stepped out.

"You two are back so soon. Is everything okay?" Skinner's voice was worried as he stepped close to the two.

Fox smiled and nodded his head. "We're fine. It was too dark."

Skinner frowned. "I could have..."

Alex shook his head, "Forget it, Skinner. We don't need to be that pampered."

"I didn't mean..." Skinner began.

"We know what you meant," Alex growled. "We aren't pets."

"Alex," Fox scolded. "Walter was just being nice."

Alex rolled his eyes, but he didn't continue baiting Skinner. He moved past the big man into the cabin pausing in the doorway for Fox to follow.

Fox squeezed Walter's hand and gave him a little smile. "Let's go inside," he suggested.

Skinner smiled back and thumbed Fox's lower lip. "Langly is making a great dinner. You won't believe all the food. I'm sorry you couldn't run. I didn't even think about the lights."

"Don't worry, Walter. I ended up with something better," Fox smiled in Alex's direction. "Alex and I talked."

Skinner raised a brow, "Good?"

"Yeah, good."

"Fox, come on," Alex urged.

Fox turned to go in, but paused and looked back into the warm brown eyes. "I know why you said I would want to come back, now. Not just for my friends, but for him."

Skinner nodded. "Do you remember now?"

"Not a bit," Fox smiled. "But, thank you."

Skinner laughed a bit. "Don't thank me, Fox. I would have brought you back with me even if there had been no Alex to come home to."

Fox grinned, and for a minute all he could think of was warm nights and Skinner above him, the slick slide of Skinner possessing him. He shivered with desire and for a moment he seriously thought about leaning in to capture the stern mouth, aching to feel the slow burn he knew it could ignite in him, but Alex was waiting. Alex. He turned to go to him hoping that Walter would follow, that things would work out for them all, but not sure how it would. He still felt as if Walter was his, but Alex was so sweet, so gentle, so beautiful. How could he not want him?

Inside the three Gunmen were gathered in the kitchen, Scully sat on the lap of a man he hadn't yet seen and an older woman sat in a chair near them. The older woman got up and went to him, a soft smile on her face. This must be Maggie, he thought before the woman gathered him in for a hug.

"I am so glad you're back with us, Fox," she said softly. "Antonio came and brought me here to be with you." She gave Antonio a small smile. "That was an interesting experience," she smiled. "How are you?"

He tilted his head and shrugged, "I guess I am doing great."

"But, you don't remember anything?"

"He will," Scully assured from the comfort of the darkly handsome man's lap.

Fox eyed the man with a bit of concern. Somehow he didn't quite think Scully was the type to sit on a man's lap. It bothered him for some reason.

"Mulder, Skinner wouldn't let us make burritos," the man with the long, blond hair bemoaned from the kitchen.

Fox smiled, but his expression changed to one of contemplation as the three men skittered out of Alex's way as he went to inspect the meal in progress. They, save for the shortest of the trio, seemed to want to scatter like a herd of antelope with a big cat prowling near. It, frankly, stunned Fox. They eyed the young man warily, even the short one. Alex was scowling, but otherwise not doing anything threatening. What could the men possibly fear from his little angel? He frowned at the men, wondering if their reaction might somehow hurt Alex. Alex was obviously very sensitive, Fox mused. In a show of support he went to Alex's side and put his hand on the small of his back, peering over the wide shoulder at the food Alex was inspecting.

"I'm making shrimp linguine," Langly stuttered. The blonde man actually squeaked when Alex turned his gaze on him. "Y-you like shrimp don't you, Krycek?"

Alex nodded.

"My compadre has taste," the little man approved. "I'm Frohike, Mulder. Do you know that?"

Fox shook his head. "It does seem right though."

"This is Byers," Frohike said, pointing to the slight, bearded man. "And this is Langly." The blonde bowed a bit, yet his eyes were still trained on Alex.

"You prefer burritos," Langly informed him. Alex moved away from the stove and the men shifted like that same antelope herd. Fox held on to his temper, just glad that Alex hadn't seemed to notice. When Alex was out of ear shot Langly moved beside him. "Is Krycek angry? He seems... uh... tense."

"Yeah, and a tense Krycek is a scary Krycek," Byers added.

"Are you guys for real?" Fox whispered. "Alex is just upset that I can't remember, but scary? He doesn't even look old enough to shave! C'mon guys." Bending into the huddle of odd men felt strangely familiar, as if he had spent many an hour in just the same manner, whispering, plotting, and just plain theorizing with the three men.

"Mulder, I know you don't remember, but Krycek is scary," Langly whispered, his eyes swimming oddly behind incredibly thick frames.

"Yes, Mulder, just because he is soft on you, doesn't change that," Byers added, taking a moment to verify that Krycek was indeed out of earshot.

"We've even seen his handiwork." He looked to Frohike. "Remember Mulder's apartment? It looked like a scene out of 'Faces of Death' and that is going lightly on the subject."

Frohike turned a little green at the memory. "Oh, I had blocked that out. Don't get us wrong, Mulder," he said in a conspiratorial whisper, "he's cool and all... but when he is angry... well, it is best to be careful."

"Look at them," Skinner chuckled. He stared at the four men, huddled together whispering amongst themselves. Scully grinned. "They must have some magnetic attraction."

"They do tend to huddle," she agreed. "Amazing. Mulder can't remember any of us, but there he is, conferring with his three muses as always."

Alex was staring out the window, seeing nothing but trees shadowed by the full moon. In the distance he heard the eerie howls of the wolves calling to the moon. He shivered, wondering if one of those howls painting the night was Garren's. The wind carried the sound, but he knew the wolves were far away. He looked at the moon, it was dominant in the sky, a huge gem surrounded by a billion stars. Did it enchant the wolves as the legends proclaimed? He had seen so little of Garren since Fox's return. While he was grateful to have time alone with Fox, he wondered at it. Was Garren simply giving him space, or had he lost interest? Neither explanation rang true, and he stared at the moon once more. Skinner touched his shoulder and he tensed for a moment, but he relaxed as that hand just gently rubbed.

"Are you all right, Alex," Skinner asked.

"I will be."

"He will remember. You'll see."

"I... he tried, but when he did..."

"It hurt him," Skinner finished for him.

"Yes." Alex looked at Skinner then, his eyes softer than Skinner had seen them since he'd realized that Skinner had brought Fox back. "I know that you were telling the truth about that at least." Alex narrowed his eyes, thinking. "It doesn't excuse you keeping him from me so long, but at least you were telling the truth about that."

Skinner sighed, a tired sound that held no indignation. "I don't have to tell you that I want him to remember. You know that I do."

"Yes, but..."

"There are no buts." Skinner traced one hand over the fine line of Alex's jaw. "After dinner, you and Fox will be alone. And you, assassin, will keep both of you from mischief."

Alex frowned. "Where will you go?"

"I want to leave tomorrow." Skinner moved away from Alex with regret. "As I need less sleep than before, I'll see to our transportation, supplies and meet with the town leaders to assure them that our departure will not change their lives."

Alex nodded. "Garren..."

Skinner's face darkened. "What about him?"

Alex shook his head, "Nothing." It wouldn't do anything to tell Skinner that Garren would refuse his edict. What happened beyond he and Fox was nothing that he wanted to think of. He and Skinner both looked as one toward Fox who was just now emerging from his huddle.

xx

Fox sat on the floor, his warm mug on the coffee table, elbows propped on the slick, wooden surface, face cradled in his hands as he listened with great amusement while Scully told another "Mulder" story. Alex was sitting beside him, knees drawn up and his fingers laced around his knees. Frequently he smiled at Mulder, seeming content to just sit next to him and listen to the conversation around them. The man sitting next to Scully, Antonio, stared at Fox frequently, frank desire on his classical features. Antonio was like Skinner, Mulder knew instinctively. The two radiated something almost tangible, some power that flowed just beneath the surface, electric and compelling. Maggie was different from the rest. Skinner had explained to him some bit of the changes and though Fox couldn't really tell, not having been around many normal people since Skinner rescued him, he could tell that Maggie was... normal. That was the only thing he could think of. The others were more there somehow, though that did not detract from Maggie's charm. She was yawning and soon rose, looking to Antonio expectantly.

Scully looked at Mulder and smiled. "I guess it is late. We should get going."

Skinner walked everyone to the door and touched Maggie's arm. "I'll take you back to town if that is where you'd like to sleep. I wanted to talk to some people there about our plans to leave in the morning anyway."

Maggie nodded, waved at Fox and Alex and went outside to wait for Skinner.

The Gunmen decided to go into town as well and Skinner sighed. He had hoped to just take Maggie in the quickest way, just going to the side of any of the people in town would have done the trick, but with all the Gunmen along he decided to just take the Range Rover.

Fox stood and went to Skinner's side. "Are you coming back late?"

Skinner nodded. "Don't wait up. I may not come back tonight at all." At Fox's disappointed look he chuckled, knowing the cause, smelling Fox's need. "You will be fine here with Alex."

Fox looked at Alex who had risen as well, but had stayed near the couch. He smiled at the young man. "I know I will, I just..."

Skinner bent and kissed Fox's cheek. "Baby, you can do whatever you like. Trust me, I rather love you and Alex together."

Fox frowned, confused again. He couldn't understand the relationship the three of them had, but he knew that he wanted sex. It was something he didn't think he'd like to go without much longer. And though Alex was beautiful, and his lover, he didn't know him really... though when he thought about it, he didn't know Walter either. He sighed. Sure that whatever he was, he seemed to be a nymphomaniac.

"Alex, take care of him," Walter ordered, with a gleam in his eyes.

Alex raised one brow and said nothing, but his eyes glittered dangerously. Walter chuckled at that, enjoying Alex's every expression.

Fox watched everyone leave and then turned to Alex. "So."

Alex smiled, "So."

Fox found his feet interesting, watching one foot rub the other. "I think everyone had a good time," he mumbled lamely, watching the way the blue tracksuit reflected the light.

Alex wanted to go to Fox and tell him not to be so nervous, but instead he affected a yawn. "I think I am going to just go to sleep on the couch. I know you wouldn't feel right sleeping with me just yet, and you need your sleep, baby."

Fox didn't want to sleep, but neither was he sure he wanted to sleep next to Alex just yet. Just sitting next to him was enough to rattle every nerve in his body. But instead of agreeing he just stared at the picture Alex made, standing in the light of the dying fire behind him, built more for atmosphere than any need for warmth. A flash of memory assailed, so brief that he barely had time to make any sound of the pain that accompanied the memory, Alex stumbling out of the darkness, the feeling of utter relief at seeing him, Frohike's voice shouting something... 'zombie' and then nothing. Alex was at his side asking him if he were okay and Fox frowned. He wasn't some china doll that would fall apart with any little pain, but Alex seemed to think so. He couldn't work up any anger over Alex's concern though, especially not when he had just remembered something of him.

"I'm fine... I just saw you... you... were drunk I think... stumbling."

"I have never been drunk a day in my life," Alex retorted, sounding insulted. "I have pretended to be, but never have actually been."

Fox chuckled. "Give yourself a few years, Alex."

Alex groaned. How young did Fox think he was anyway?

"But you were there, in my memory. Don't you see? I think it will all come back." Fox was excited, but his excitement was cut off by a huge yawn. "I think maybe if I get some rest..."

Alex smiled, feeling a great deal better about sleeping apart from his lover. If Fox was starting to remember then he wouldn't have many nights alone... maybe just this one. "Let me just take a quick shower and then I'll leave you to the bedroom."

Fox nodded and then the image of water sluicing down Alex's body hit him. Whether it was a lurid fantasy or a memory, he had to turn away quickly to hide the flush on his face. He could see the way the hot water would trail down the rounded pecs, flush over the hard stomach, finding little crevices to linger in the defined muscled there, gathering in the dark hair below... he made a small sound, a desperate sound. He almost begged to be there with Alex, kneeling on the shower floor, mouth open to catch the water that would wash from the juncture of his muscled legs. Tonguing the hard flesh, tasting it, knowing it would taste so good.

"Fox?" Alex inquired, worry in his voice once more.

Fox was able to escape the fantasy at the tone. Alex would get sick of having to worry about him soon. He was probably more used to Fox worrying over him. "Oh nothing, just yawning."

Alex frowned, rubbed Fox's back and nodded. "Okay." He stepped around Fox, casting one last look in his direction before going into the bathroom off the only bedroom.

Fox followed, eager to take off the tracksuit, grinning a bit at how polite everyone but the Gunmen were about it. Langly had asked for sunglasses while the other two snickered. He felt good around these people, comfortable. The sound of the shower going on made him groan again. The sound of the shower door closing made him hard. God he wanted him. Memory or no, he wanted Alex. He would be wet now, the black hair slick, everywhere. The smell of soap drifted out of the open door. That was his angel, sweet and clean, wet and hot. He buried his face in his hands, wanting to remember everything about Alex. He could go in there, he knew. Alex would welcome him.

He could taste him, hold him, but what of Walter? Would he, despite his words, be hurt? With resolution he finished undressing and found a pair of pajamas, too big, again too blue. What was it with the former owner and blue?

The shower ended abruptly and a whole new set of erotic images assailed him. Alex toweling his body off, would he caress himself? Did he feel the same need for sensation that Fox did? Fox ran a hand down his own body, lightly touching the rings in his nipples through the thin, cotton fabric, gasping at the jolt that touch sent to his groin.

Alex came out of the shower, a towel around his waist. Of course it seemed wrong. Alex would have sauntered out nude, proud of his body, or unconcerned about its effect. HE was being considerate, Fox supposed. It wasn't enough. He looked positively edible. He turned away from the vision, hiding in the pillow and hoping his lust wasn't visible. It felt as if anyone with eyes could see the strong emotion, but Alex simply bid him goodnight, his voice husky with some emotion, and left Fox to his misery. Shower. Cold shower, Fox thought. That is what I need. A scene flashed, him pushing Alex against a wall, claiming those pretty lips while those green eyes were wide with shock, rubbing himself up against the delicious body. It was another memory, he knew. He smiled to himself. He would remember everything in time.

xx

Shenadoah Valley, California
Day Eighteen
Hour 2300

Garren ran with the night, listened to the distant sound of thunder and let his limbs stretched out, finding the rhythm of the chase. Far away from Skinner and Antonio, east of them, toward the call of Murdoch, but not so far that he couldn't make it to Alex's side in a few hours time. He had forbidden most of the pack to come with him, ordering them to Alex's protection. Alex's and the sweet, hot little prince. Alex couldn't take losing Fox again, and so the pack would protect Fox as well. The honor of protecting Garren's mate was one that would not be for the pack members in the area for long. Even now the strongest of the pack worldwide were making their way to him, to take their place as his mate's guardians. Even his littermates wanted to come, but the bloodline would have to stay spread round the world or the pack would grow restless without it. And so his littermates stayed where they were, no matter how much they longed for the honor. The oldest wolves, some so strong that even an ascendant would take pause, would let nothing stop them to get to Garren's side. Garren grinned. Poor Skinner, he would soon find himself surrounded, not by weak pack members, but frightening creatures that would let nothing stand in their way in their loyalty to the bloodline, to Garren. Of course Garren had to be careful for his cat's sake. No matter what his cat hissed and spat at Skinner, he cared for him. The prince was especially fond of the ascendant and would be hurt by any trauma to Skinner.

It was difficult for Garren to judge just the best route to take. He would prefer to have the pack descend on Skinner. There would be massive loses on the side of the pack, but eventually they would tear him limb from limb, taking the pieces far apart to prevent Skinner from regaining form, but Alex would hate that. Too there was the benefit to the pack if Skinner could balance out Murdoch. Murdoch was strong to the east, his hunters ripping through the human population without thought. The pack needed humans, would not survive without them. They could feed on anything but it was human's that they needed, that made life interesting. Of course Skinner would not let them hunt humans, but he and his allies would ensure that humans prospered. For the benefit of the pack, Garren would have to insist they roam far from Skinner, but they could hunt Murdoch's humans and around the world. He sighed, putting more distance between he and the ascendant and consequently, his mate. Still the run, the hunt was exhilarating. He was in the valley now, the moon heavy above him. Further east a band of humans were making their way toward the safety of Skinner. Maybe he would take just a few of them. The lure of hot blood in the moonlight, gasping cries of pleasure as flesh was ripped from bone made him howl again and race in the moon's shadow.

Cabins
Fort Bragg, California
Day Nineteen
Hour 0300

In his dream he saw the room as it was, elegant, sumptuous. The bed beneath him almost too soft, Mikhail above him, hard. Some terrible feeling, some horrible loss as Mikhail stroked him so gently. His words whispered into Fox's ear, //I wish I could do the same to your memories of the other, but I cannot risk that. But it was Alex you gave your soul to wasn't it, love? Was he your little strength? Was he? I have never known such love as that which you tried to cling to, but at least it explains your fight. I will remember him for you, Fox. I will remember his midnight hair and cat eyes.// Fox sat up gasping, sweating, his heart racing. Awake.

"Alex," he gasped. He started to get up, to find Alex in the other room but he was there, standing over the bed already. He was standing in the thread of moonlight looking for all the world like some fantastic vision; hair tousled from uneasy sleep; dressed only in unbuttoned jeans, his body gloriously formed, like some mythical warrior snatched from the pages of a fairytale. Surprised to see Alex beside the bed, Fox almost forgot his strange dream.

"I heard you, you sounded like you were having a nightmare," Alex said softly, explaining his presence in the bedroom. He sat gently on the edge of the bed. "Are you all right?"

Fox could almost see the color of Alex's eyes in the dark. "Green eyes," he whispered to himself. "I was dreaming of Mikhail..."

"He can't hurt you anymore, baby," Alex sighed and reached out to stroke Fox's face.

"No, I was remembering... he said your name, said he would remember you for me." Fox grabbed Alex's hand. "I kept thinking of... seeing green... I didn't understand it... but it was you, all the time, your eyes." He pulled Alex's hand back to his face, rubbing the long fingers over his cheek. "I was trying to remember you... and he took it away..."

xx

Alex felt the moisture on Fox's face and he pulled him to him, holding him tight. "Oh, baby, I'm so sorry."

"I can't... I don't understand why, but I remember feeling like I was dying." He held tight to Alex's muscular frame. "He took you away from me. I don't... I can't..."

"Shhh. You're with me now," Alex sighed warmly into Fox's ear.

"But, I don't remember falling in love, I don't remember loving you... why would he do that? I gave him everything he wanted, why would he take that from me?"

"I don't know."

"I gave him everything... I didn't fight... I didn't try to get away... I just let him do anything, everything," Fox choked out.

Alex was trembling, wanting to cry as he felt Fox shudder, feeling helpless in the face of Fox's pain. "Maybe you were fighting him and you didn't know it, maybe that is why he had to take all your memories... to make you think he really was your lover," he said in a soothing voice. "You're with me now, Fox, and I'll love enough for both of us until you remember... remember me." He squeezed Fox tighter, almost too tight, but Fox simply returned the embrace.

Here, smelling Alex's skin, feeling the heat of his body pressed tight to him, Fox felt, for the first time since Walter had carried him out of the burning house, that he was home. The horrible feeling of loss, of missing something important was gone for the moment. He pushed aside his feelings for Walter, feeling so right, so very nearly perfect. "Will you stay with me tonight?"

Alex tensed, always wary of being given something, especially that which he wanted above all else. "I'll stay," he managed to say.

Fox lay back, pulling Alex down beside him, suddenly exhausted. But the feel of Alex's body, curled up behind him was sticking a needle full of speed into his arm. Every inch of him ached with desire and warred with sadness inside him. Alex was stroking his hair, kissing his neck, soothingly, but it made Fox moan and arch into the touch. Alex stiffened, realizing that his comforting touches were having quite the effect on Fox. He groaned into Fox's ear and held him tighter, his hardness a sudden pressure on Fox's buttocks.

Alex wanted to kiss every inch of Fox, the little gasps of desire his simple touches had elicited made him burn. When Fox pushed back against his erection he groaned, "Please, baby, you're driving me crazy. I can't be like this with you and not have you."

Those words, spoken in the dark, with such painful desire made Fox come undone. He turned quickly in Alex's arms, pinning the younger man to the bed, surprising Alex. But he didn't pause to admire the surprised look on the pretty face, he simply bent and devoured those pink, moist lips. Groaning as Alex's mouth opened and an eager tongue slid hotly against his own. He drank up the kisses as a starving man might gulp water after stumbling out of a burning desert, and like that man, he couldn't get enough, was a little crazed in the drinking. Sweet, hot, slick, that was Alex. That was his little angel. He left the mouth to kiss those eyes, closed with passion, he bit gently on the elegant brows, tonguing the fine, black hair. He slid his mouth to the sharp cheekbones moaning Alex's name, more a ode to his beauty than any attempt at eliciting a response. Alex was running his hands up and down Fox's back, moving down to squeeze and part Fox's buttocks, Fox's name on his lips, his own ode to love.

Fox wanted more. He slid down to kiss and nibble Alex's neck, feeling the erratic pulse beneath the tender skin. Alex was rubbing Fox's cheeks together, so hot, that Fox wanted to die right then. His flesh ached as Alex pulled the two cheeks apart, hard, frantically, but it wasn't that that Fox wanted. He would have Alex in that way later, for now he wanted to devour him, devour every inch of the soapy, hot skin. Take him into his mouth and swallow him whole, then part those muscled legs and reclaim him. He shook with his need and moved his mouth to Alex's nipples, worshipping there until Alex began to pant, biting them until Alex cried out. Every sound Alex made, every restless shift of his beautiful body on the sheets made Fox crazier. Such a wanton angel, such a feast for the senses. Alex.

He trailed his mouth down Alex hard stomach tonguing the indentations of muscled flesh.

"God, your mouth, baby, it's so soft... oh... F-Fox," Alex whimpered, tossing his head back and forth on the pillow.

Fox moved lower, tugging at the unwanted denim until Alex lifted his hips and let Fox slide the jeans off. Fox stared at the nude glory in the moonlight. All hard. All muscle. All his. He gripped Alex's thighs, pushing them apart to make room for his body. He wanted to tease Alex, make him scream, but he would be torturing himself. Alex's erection was hard against his belly, wetting his navel with his excitement. Fox bent to it, lapped at the head, tonguing it in long lapping strokes until Alex did scream. The sound made Fox growl, and he held the stiff erection in his hand and fed it to his greedy lips, sucking hard, making Alex scream again. Alex's legs were spread out, his arms above him holding on to the headboard to keep from grabbing Fox and taking him. Fox watched Alex in the moonlight, how he thrashed and whimpered and screamed, his legs scissoring back and forth in tandem with his head. He slid up off Alex's cock, grabbing Alex's thighs and pushing them up to his chest, not pausing for a second before nipping gently at the tight scrotum, trailing liquid heat down behind it to find the sweet spot that he was hungry to claim. His tongue there, swabbing, parting tight muscle, sliding in and stroking.

Alex was beyond screaming, beyond panting, he just tried to breathe. Fox, this was Fox. Fox was doing these wonderful things to him. No one but Fox. God, it was all he wanted. He heard cloth sliding over flesh and realized that Fox was taking off the pajamas. Fox was naked between his legs. He wanted to open his eyes to feast upon the sight, but a finger was probing him, gently, shaking with lust and then another. He cried out in frustration as Fox moved away, but he returned too soon to complain.

"I figured this would be nearby," Fox moaned.

Alex had no idea what he was talking about. Didn't care, just wanted Fox inside him. He had a moment to understand when he felt the slickness of lube being rubbed in, but then coherent thought was gone as Fox began to enter him. His head so perfect and fat, pushing past the reluctant muscles and sinking slowly inside. There was no moment of rest, no calm before the storm, there was only the storm, the sliding thrusts that that took Alex's breath away. "Fox, yes, Fox. Fox," he moaned.

Fox couldn't describe, even to himself, how good Alex felt. How hot, tight and slick. A tight sheath of velvet that squeezed him and shuddered around his cock. He angled up and heard Alex scream, a sound that made him thrust harder, again and again, thrusting just so, making Alex buck and writhe, his head hitting the pillow. Fox bent to kiss Alex's mouth, and their tongues mated wildly. Fox swallowed Alex's scream as he grabbed Alex's erection, pumping it in time to his thrusts. He swallowed the next scream and the next until his screams mingled with Alex's in the heat of their mouths. Their bodies moved together frantically, the feeling building to such sensation that they both grew silent and there was only the sound of their bodies.

And when they had stilled, and Alex was cuddled up to Fox, his back to Fox's belly, Alex whispered. "I love you, baby." When there was no reply, Alex chuckled. "Are you back yet?"

Fox couldn't hear him; he had fallen asleep, the smell of his angel's hair, the warmth of his body, lulling him into dreamless surrender.

The gentle breathing behind him made Alex sigh with pleasure. He didn't need to move he was perfect just as he was, Fox still inside him, soft now, but present, his strong arms about him, the smell of him everywhere. As Alex was drifting to sleep, pressed back into Fox's chest, he felt what seemed to be warm metal rings pushing into his back, yawning tiredly he simply let the sensation blend in with the others and he joined Fox in slumber.

J. Edgar Hoover Building
Washington D.C.
Day Nineteen
Hour 0600

Murdoch walked through the deserted halls of the Hoover building. He went to Skinner's office, everything as it was as Skinner had left it. Files on cases neatly stacked, coffee mug rinsed out and placed to the side. He looked around until he found what he was looking for, an address book.

He flipped through it and smiled. "Mom and Dad's," Murdoch read aloud. "How sweet." He would send someone to check to see if Skinner's parents were still alive, just as he had sent some of his followers to find and retrieve Tina Mulder. She was already ensconced in a penthouse apartment in the glorious city, catered to and treated like a queen. Skinner's parents would not fare so well. They would beg for death, long before it came, if they still lived. Tina had not been impressed by the pampering really, just stared at Murdoch when they had met, stared at him with eyes that reminded him so of his sweet foxling. She had asked no questions and had seemed completely unaffected by the changes around her, until he had mentioned her son. Then her eyes had narrowed and she picked up the cup of tea she had ignored before, sipping slowly before meeting his eyes without any fear.

"What have you done with him?" She asked, her voice betraying any emotion, but Murdoch could smell her anger, her reluctant fear for her child.

He sensed to that she was not surprised that he would mention Fox.

Standing now, in Skinner's old office with the trappings of his meaningless life about him, he wondered at Fox's mother's response to his declaration of love for her son. His plans for her beautiful child.

"He won't love you. He can't love anyone. His father and I saw to that."

Her words had been, like all the others, emotionless, but he had smelled her guilt, her regret so thick in the air. "His father with his lies and his scheming and me without anything to give him." She had stood then and walked to the window, staring out at the city, lights everywhere people crowding the street, kept in order by things out of nightmares. "I am glad he is alive," she finally said, and she resumed sipping her tea.

An odd woman, a cold woman, Murdoch mused. How has one such as she raised such an incredible man? Fox was everything she was not, impetuous, passionate and deeply emotional. Those things were not really necessary for Murdoch to enjoy him, Fox need only lay with his legs widely spread, mouth obediently open, for Murdoch to enjoy him, but it did make the whole package so sweet. The shadows in Skinner's office moved as the Shades crept about him, waiting to be of use. He scattered them as he made his way to the elevator and Fox's basement office.

"I Want to Believe," Murdoch chuckled. What an enchanting sentiment. Did his prince still want to believe? And where had the witches gone?

They had not completed their task, nor had they bothered to make contact since he had sent them on it. He went to Fox's desk, fingering the chair that had cradled the long, lean body and sat in it himself, feeling close to his prince.

He looked above him and chuckled darkly. Dozens of pencils were in the ceiling as if his pet had been bored many a long day in the office. He looked through Fox's things, his precious files, until pressing business called. He took the elevator back o the main floor and walked toward the front entrance.

The smell of the dead was lovely but the corpses would bring disease to his fine city. He smiled as he stepped over them, most intertwined, nude. He ordered that the building be cleared, that every building be cleared, the dead would burn in glorious piles for weeks to come. He closed the door to Fox's office and bid that no one enter it save himself and in due course his prince.

He walked outside, the air was cool, the day ready to be born. A thousand humans had been picked already to be allowed to live in the city, attractive every one of them. He chuckled. They thought their looks had saved them, but his eyes already had fallen on a dozen beauties who would decorate his slings, long legs tied and spread, their bounty naked for his toys.

The Mall had been transformed into a gallery of such sights, his followers toying with lovely women and men alike. But in his personal slings they were all men, of different races and looks, but all lean and well-formed. Strong enough to last long for his pleasure.

He took the leash of his sweet foxling-alike, the one that had become a permanent fixture to his side. Poor thing looked exhausted, head bowed so that a lock of russet hair fell onto his forehead, hazel eyes dazed, ripe lips swollen from use. Two changed males stood at the ready as well.

While they were the focus of attention human and hunter alike, it was his foxling alike that would sit on his lap for the ride to his Penthouse, the one whose ass he would part and enter on the short drive. He set the two changed males to pleasuring each other once the long, black limousine was in motion.

The smell of them even excited sweet Michael and he rode Murdoch eagerly, twisting his hips to touch the spot that made him purr. Even when Foxling was at his side, he would keep this sweet young one around. He grinned, of course it would be Foxling who looked exhausted then, but still he would play with this one. He watched the changed males sucking each other, their scent intoxicating, their bodies writhing in helpless pleasure. Like mindless animals when the need for sex took over. What little treasures. They were fingering each other, moaning and pumping their bodies, exciting his foxling-alike even more. He bent to bite the smooth shoulder, not so hard as to cause agony as he would do later with one of his sling-toys, but enough to make him cry out, and perfectly trained, to come.

Cabins
Fort Bragg, California
Day Nineteen
Hour 0700

Mulder woke first, to find that he was laying atop Alex, head nestled in Alex's neck, one hand curled in Alex's dark hair. He grinned a little.

Not going to let him sneak away, he thought. It made him pause. Why would he think Alex would sneak off? Indeed, he had thought in that brief moment that Alex might vanish... as if he had done so many times before. His frown could not live long on his face as he raised his head to stare down at Alex.

Asleep, he looked so innocent, so damn young. He frowned again, resolving to never let anyone hurt this gentle creature. To never let anyone... not even the Gunmen do anything that might wound his tender feelings. "I'm going to take care of you, Angel," he whispered and received a sleepy sigh in reply. What had begun as Alex teasing and tempting him had birthed itself into a seduction of his heart as much as his body. He felt so tender now, staring down at Alex. If ever a man had been seduced, it had been him.

Seduced by beauty that was nearly painful to look upon. Seduced by tender devotion and concern. Seduced by the ultimate gift of his body, given so wantonly, so unselfishly. He would spend the rest of the day finding ways to seduce Alex.

Bring him gifts, stroke his skin. But, he remembered they were leaving today. He smiled. When they stopped for the night, as he and Walter had done, then he would make Alex feel special and wanted. He only hoped that Walter would understand. Whatever there was between he and Alex was too special to let anyone else interfere with it, even someone he loved as much as he still loved Walter.

What had the Gunmen said? A tense Krycek was a scary Krycek? "Alex Krycek," he tested the name quietly on his lips. There was nothing remotely scary about him. Perhaps he had simply been moody when Fox had been taken. That was probably it. But what had they said about his apartment and Alex's handiwork. There were a lot of things he didn't understand, but the man who had given himself so completely to him in the night had been like a fantasy. Sex with Walter was wonderful, but Alex had seemed so right in his arms. It was obvious that they had loved each other, maybe forever. How long had they been lovers? A year? Two? Months? He didn't want to wake Alex to find out, but his mind was working too eagerly to stay in bed. So he gingerly lifted off the warm body, smiling as a little frown painted itself over the pink lips. "Poor baby," he whispered and covered him with a blanket, before heading to the closet. He picked out a light, gray sweater, cashmere by the feel, but very thin. He grabbed a pair of jeans he hoped would fit him and slipped into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

Alex was still sleeping when he emerged, hair still wet, Levi's that fitted buttoned up, pulling on the thin sweater. He got socks and several different shoes from the closet and tried them on to see which pair would fit. A pair of lace-up, black boots fit and he smiled, ready to face the day. The chill morning cut through the thin sweater and he shivered a bit, but refused to go back inside and risk waking Alex. He saw that the Range Rover was still gone, so Walter must still be in town. It hadn't been all that long of a drive and he wanted the exercise anyway. Maybe he could pick up something in town to bring back to Alex. Coffee and muffins perhaps. So thinking, he headed off up the dirt road wishing he had thought before to go into town, he could have found some different running gear and made the run. Regardless, he was anxious for the exercise.

xx

Alex stretched, waking with a strange sensation. Alone, he was alone in a bed. Something he hadn't been in quite a while. He sat up quickly, completely awake in seconds. He didn't need to call out for Fox, he knew his lover was no longer in the cabin. He saw the steam still in the shower and his panic abated. Fox had taken a shower and left. Why? Why hadn't he woken him? Did he regret their making love? Had he gone to Skinner?

These thoughts were with him as he took a quick, joyless shower. He dressed and hurried outside.

Two big men came out of the woods. "Are you all right?" one asked.

Alex stopped looking around for Fox and tilted his head. "What? Oh no, don't even tell me! Don't even tell me you are watching me for Garren!"

The men looked at each other, shrugged and nodded. "Yes, we are. It is more of an honor than even to hunt with him." It was obvious to the two, why wasn't it to the mate?

"Oh is that where he is, hunting?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm looking for someone, so you can just go off and fuck yourselves."

Two pairs of amber eyes grew confused. But the bigger of the two cleared his throat. "Are you looking for your pet?"

Alex frowned, utterly lost. "Uh, no."

"Because if you were, he just walked toward town... looked beautiful too," he added with a wide grin.

"Fox? You're talking about Fox?"

"Yes."

"He's not my pet, you fuck," Alex growled and turned to follow the path.

The two wolves shrugged and fell into step behind the mate.

Alex sighed, hearing them following. He stopped. "Do you have to follow me? I have to say, I am holding my temper, but just barely." He waited but heard no reply. When he looked behind him they were gone, but he knew the bastards would be in the trees, following discretely. He was going to have to do something about that, but for now he just wanted to catch up to his wandering lover. He froze. The wolf had said Fox looked beautiful. Would they try to take him? The idea of Fox being attacked made him pick up speed.

xx

The air was even cooler in the shade of the trees but he was filled with happiness, filled with lovely thoughts of Alex. How sweetly he had given himself. He wanted to hurry back to him, but wanted to bring him something.

He felt like a teenager. He wanted to bring Alex flowers, bring him a book of poetry. He grinned like an idiot, knowing he was being silly, but he knew how he had fallen in love with Alex before. Even now he loved him, without knowing anything about him, except he had the sweetest smile. He whistled a song he made up as he went and let his steady stride carry him toward town.

The road widened, became paved and he quickened his stride. The town was close. He heard a chopping noise in the distance, one he recognized instantly, a helicopter. He stood, fascinated as it touched down on the road ahead of him. The stench of the machine was a surprise, it wasn't just the burning oil, but it was the unfamiliarity of it that made him wrinkle his nose. How long had it been since he'd smelled these types of fumes. Surely not long, but their reappearance in this fragrant wilderness was a shock.

Soldiers piled out of the helicopter and for the first time he thought to be worried. They were running toward him and he began to back away. Two huge creatures sped out of the trees and in a flash of fangs and teeth they took out three of the soldiers so fast that the others were stunned for a moment.

Fox dived to the ground as the soldiers still in the helicopter turned machine guns on the creatures, the hundreds of rounds ripping into the hairy bodies and knocking them back in a bloody heap.

He scrambled to his feet when the guns clattered to silence only to be met with two soldiers who grabbed him quickly.

"Don't fight, Agent Mulder, we're from your father. We won't hurt you. Don't fight," the soldier to his left hissed in his ear.

His father? His father, dying in his arms, the world shifting and moving surreally. The memories of that man, his father pounded into him... a strong hand on his face, 'Why did you let them take her? Are you such a weakling you won't even fight for your own blood?' He shook his head, dimly aware that the soldiers were shoving his sweater sleeve up his arm. The gun clattered again and another beast that came from the woods went down, even as the first began to struggle to rise.

"Jesus Christ, hurry up! They're dozens of them coming," a voice shouted from the helicopter.

A needle was shoved into his arm and he cried out. He hated needles.

"Don't fight, Agent Mulder. You are helping your father."

"My father is dead," he cried. Another needle. They were taking his blood. Why? Another needle, quick, sucking the blood out of him until he felt dizzy with it. The large reservoir flooded with dark liquid.

"Hurry the fuck up!" the soldier in the helicopter shouted.

He was released and the soldiers sprinted for the helicopter, lifting off just as dozens of monsters came bursting out of the trees. Fox's thoughts went to Alex. What would his angel do when he found Fox's body, bloody and torn? He looked around for escape and slowly began to back away from the furious beasts. So far they hadn't seemed to notice him, seemingly content to rip at the dead soldiers in their fury.

He felt sick as he saw the steam coming from the ripped out intestines. "Oh God," he whispered, turning to run back the way he came. He cursed himself as he stumbled, but he regained his footing and nearly died when he saw Alex running toward him. He sped toward him, determined to keep him from the beasts. There were two running behind Alex, but they made no move to overtake him.

"Fox!" Alex shouted. He grabbed at Fox and ignoring the beasts he looked over Fox, frantically. "Baby, are you okay? What happened?"

Fox stared at him as if he were mad, but the beasts had stopped ten yards behind Alex, just watching them. He looked behind him to see the wolves there fading into the trees. "I, they said they were from my father. They took... Alex there are werewolves everywhere."

Alex called to Skinner as Fox fell against him. Skinner was there immediately his face hard.

"What happened?" he asked as he made to take Fox from Alex. He had been sitting in the Mayor's home saying goodbye when he'd heard Alex's call for help. He didn't even wonder what the woman and her family thought as he had just abruptly disappeared.

Alex held tight to Fox and shook his head. "I heard a helicopter... then gunfire. Some men came to take Fox..."

"No, they didn't want to take me anywhere, they said they were from my father and they took blood from me."

Skinner's face went white with fury. "They what?"

"Soldiers in the helicopter, the wolves attacked them, but they told me that they didn't want to hurt me, they took blood, lot's of it," he said trying to stop leaning so heavily on Alex.

"Fox, listen to me," Skinner said firmly. "You need to call to me if you need me. I can get to your side and protect you."

"I... I wasn't thinking," Mulder admitted. "They said they were from my father, but he's dead."

Alex stiffened against him.

Fox looked into Alex's eyes. "Are you all right, Alex?"

"He will be when you stop scaring him to death," Walter growled. What had it taken to get his assassin to actually call for help? How much had it cost the proud man? He wanted to shake Fox. "What were you doing alone anyway?" His voice was harsh and Fox frowned at him.

"Leave him alone, Skinner, he's just had a pretty fucked up experience," Alex spat out.

Skinner looked to the wolves who still dared to stand close and he sent out his displeasure watching them flee into the forest with a frown.

"We're leaving. Is there anything you two want at the cabin?"

"The medallions," Alex answered quickly.

"Fine," Walter sighed and gathered them close. In a moment they were back at the cabins, this time in Antonio's cabin. He was staring at them calmly when they appeared and Alex assumed that there was some strange communication between the two ascendants.

"So we are leaving now," Antonio mused.

"Yes, collect whatever you want. The Gunmen and Maggie are ready to go," Skinner informed his brother.

Scully had a bag slung over her shoulder but she took one look at Mulder and dropped it. "Mulder, what happened?"

Fox turned to Alex, "Alex, would you get whatever you think, I'd want?" Alex nodded and with one last caress of Fox's face he left.

Fox pulled Scully off to the side, "Scully, I... did Alex kill my father?"

She looked surprised.

"I have this memory, and in it my father is dead... I think that Alex killed him, only that must be crazy because Alex wouldn't do anything like that."

He sounded desperate and Scully measured her words. "You spent a lot of years thinking that he did kill him, Mulder," she said gently. He looked like he was going to be sick. "But, you didn't believe that anymore. You told me so yourself."

He looked into her eyes, hope burning there again. "I did?"

"Yes, and I didn't believe it at first, but you did. You were quite convinced that he hadn't done anything to your father."

He pulled her to him in a quick hug. "God! Thank you, Scully... do I call you Scully or Dana... somehow Scully seems more normal."

"You do not, call me Dana, at least very rarely." She grinned suddenly, "Of course you used to foam at the mouth if anyone called you Fox, but you rather seemed to like Alex calling you that." His expression grew serious, "Now, tell me what happened. Why do you look so pale?"

"I had some blood stolen from me," he grinned. Now in the aftermath it seemed a bit ridiculous. Ridiculous and horrible at the same time. "Yep, some Black Ops type swung in from the sky in a black helicopter that wasn't powered by any magic, by the way, ran at me, got attacked by werewolves, and there was a lot of shooting. Meanwhile some soldiers are grabbing me, telling me they are from my father and they jab me with needles and take a bunch of blood."

She shook her head and sighed, but wasn't phased. "So, what you're saying is that you had a typical day at the office?"

He threw his head back and laughed. How did he know she would say something like that? Just having her near him, so exasperated, made him feel better, grounded. As if everything would really work out.

"God, Mulder, you need your own 'phobia' named after you."

"Phobia?"

"Yes, disasteraphobia. Murphy's law-aphobia. Something," she sighed.

"Here, let me disinfect these puncture wounds. Knowing you, they probably didn't bother to use antiseptic."

"Well, they were a bit rushed," Mulder admitted.

She raised a brow and said nothing, somehow saying a lot.

"What I want to know, is how they powered the machine," Antonio drawled, his accent a delight to Mulder's ears. "There were no other ascendants in the area."

Skinner narrowed his eyes. "That is an excellent question. One that I intend to find the answer to."

"And why did the wolves attack to protect sweet Fox, here?" Antonio added.

Skinner frowned. He didn't want to admit it, but he was glad that they had. Had the men been sent to take Fox, he would have not known, without Alex's call to him he had simply been uneasy, not aware of what was happening. It illuminated the extent of his ability to protect his family. Unless they called to him, he would not always be able to protect them. But the wolves were there, and from the corpses of the wolves that the machine guns had taken down, they were apparently willing to die to protect even Fox. He could understand the wolves protecting Alex, if Garren thought Alex belonged to him, but why Fox? He would get the answers from Garren, for he felt he would be seeing the man soon.

When Alex returned from the cabin that had been their home for the past several weeks, Skinner gathered up his family and went to the side for the Gunmen. Antonio did the same with Dana. They would begin their journey to San Francisco and there they would stay and build a new life.

xx

Part VII: Allies
uvalley@msn.com

Outstanding Skinner AU
Honorable mention

02/01/00
RATING: Very NC-17
SPOILERS: Probably, but do you care?
SUMMARY: Alternate Universe After the events of The Changing, the world is ruled by magic and Mulder has to learn to find a role for himself in the new paradigm.
WARNING: Sexual Assault, Angst, explicit sex (consensual and non-consensual) between hot men, magic, and B&D. If that isn't your thing or you are below the age of consent. DO NOT READ!!!!!!!!!! My Krycek has two arms and he's going to keep them thank you.
DISCLAIMER: They aren't mine. They belong to CC and 1013 Productions. I don't make any money... wouldn't take it if I could, just borrowing, you can have them back.
FEEDBACK: uvalley@msn.com
Website if applicable: http://www.slashingmulder.com/Author_N.htm
DEDICATED TO: Megaera for beta and for reminding me that the supernatural exists beyond the written word, (but mostly near her home) And to JoB (who gives great beta and has an arsenal of ideas). Thanks to Cerulean_Blue,
Amothea, and Michael for their support, beta and delicious* ideas... keep 'em coming love.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]