Go to notes and disclaimers


La Princesa Guerrera IX
by Carla Jane and Jim



XENA: "Nothing like a good ambush to liven things up."

The road that the French took the next morning wasn't much more than an overused trail. A steep ridge shadowed the road on one side providing a convenient lookout but useable paths down the incline were few and far between so it wasn't much of a danger to anyone down below. The wilderness on the other side of the track was actually more imminent a threat. Signs along the ridge suggested recent traffic but they were too old to be evidence of Xena travelling just ahead of them, Mulder concluded. Still, shadowing the warrior's intended target was a sound strategy so that's where he led the women.

He had worried about Gabrielle's impatience but true to her assertions earlier the blonde was much calmer this morning despite her lack of sleep. Mulder would have called it a female thing except for the fact he'd known too many women in his time that were twice as hot-tempered as himself. Gabrielle's serenity had to be coming form a source he couldn't see at the moment. Not that it mattered so long as she stayed quiet and out of his way.

Fox caught sight of the French fairly early in the day. As he had guessed there were around twenty men, a few donkeys burdened with bulging packs and one riding horse. He and the women gradually gained ground on the men down below so by noon they were travelling parallel. A small portion of his brain registered that Dana and Gabrielle were a little disturbed by his narrowed vision but it was something he couldn't afford to bother about at this point. Any misunderstandings that disrupted their newly forming attachment could be sorted out later. He was almost certain he'd seen a patch of rifle green among all those blue French uniforms. He just needed to get one really good look to be sure it was his quarry. The spy's eternal silence was within his grasp. That was the only thing he could concentrate on right now.

"Fox, you're getting a little close to the edge." Dana observed in the muted whisper he had enforced on her several hours ago.

Mulder's response was a snake's hiss. "I know what I'm doing." He gripped an overhanging branch and peered further over the steep cliff. Below him the mounted officer eased to the back of the tight column. The men leading the donkeys automatically distanced themselves providing privacy as the officer bent in the saddle to speak to one of the marchers. There it was, British Rifle Company green. My uniform, Mulder's mind raged. He had to fight against completely blanking out into anger. There was no way Fox was ever going to mistake that sinuous stride or dark, shiny hair for another man. If he lived to be a hundred years old Mulder would never forget Alex Krycek. Not that any real English officer was liable to be travelling so comfortably amid a batch of Frenchmen. Mulder scrambled gingerly back from the precipice. He needed to get ahead of them and find himself a spot to shoot from. Odds were he would only get one clear shot before they boiled up like a poked beehive.

"What is it?" One of the women asked, almost too loudly.

Mulder was so distracted that he wasn't even sure which it had been. "Krycek." Fox snarled as he broke into a run. He realised that they were trying to chase him. He heard a few stumbles as Dana fought to keep up. It was nothing to worry about. He'd go back for them shortly if they lost their way. This was Mulder's element. Slipping through natural obstructions to find a sniper post he felt more alive than he had in days. He almost ran too far. Out of the corner of his eye a rocky protrusion stopped him short. Fox dropped silently to his hands and knees. He reached out before himself carefully, testing the strength of the rock ledge before daring to crawl out on the exposed bit of stone. Even a skittering pebble would be an unacceptable amount of warning. To the left the French were still slowly winding their way forward. To the right he could almost make out a cut in the ridge wall connecting the upper path to the lower. That's where they would doubtlessly climb if they bothered to hunt him down. It looked a bit steep for them to come swarming up. Perhaps if they chose to go on without responding to his assassination he would be able to use it to get down later. Fox hoped they'd leave the body and at least some of his stolen belongings, behind.

"Fox?" The women caught up to him.

"Hush." Mulder hissed without sparing them even a glance. He was too busy checking to see his rifle was primed to fire.

"What are you going to do?" Gabrielle squirmed through the prickly undergrowth to his side.

Mulder glared at her for daring to add more weight to his precarious perch. "I'm going to shoot a rabbit for lunch." He sneered. "What the hell do you think I'm going to do? Christ." He gazed downward. "Now be quiet or you'll spook them."

"Fox, no. You can't just pick him off." Gabrielle persisted in that same soft whisper. "We'll just keep following them. You'll be able to snatch him later this evening... or sooner if Xena attacks. Surely your commander will want to question this man." She reasoned.

Mulder's heavy lips curled. That was the last thing he wanted to happen. Dead, Alex couldn't tell tales. Maybe his indiscretion was minor compared to the military secrets that Krycek had stolen but it meant everything to Fox.

"Fox."

"Snap it shut, Gabrielle. I've work to do."

The scouts came first, not ranging too far ahead of the main body strangely enough. Mulder had noticed their formation was rather clumpish. They had closed ranks against Xena he supposed. The rider was pushing up to the leading edge now. He'd been back and forth all day keeping the soldiers alert and together. The man had two wits about him, that was certain. A quick, clear shot from afar was definitely safer than attempting to tangle with this French officer.

"This is an execution." The bard complained. She was certain that Fox would live to regret what he was about to do.

"He's a spy and a thief. It's justice." Mulder grumbled. His eyes never lifted from the soldiers below. Echoed around inside his head but he didn't voice that accusation aloud. Gabrielle already knew more than she should. What Fox needed was to kill the bastard so he could safely pretend that the tryst had never occurred. Simply by being alive Alex shattered any self-constructed wall of denial for Mulder. Even if no one ever found out about the encounter, Alex would still know it had happened.

"There's more." She prodded.

"There always is, but now isn't the time." Fox concentrated on his rifle's sight. "Be quiet." The order was half for the blonde and half for his own turbulent thoughts.

Gabrielle spared a second to glance over to where Dana knelt then turned her attention back to Fox. The look on his face was so cold it gave her the chills. Every bit of Xena's hatred for guns made perfect sense. They allowed a person to deal death from a distance. Like poison, they minimised the event, turning a warrior into an assassin. "Not like this Fox. You don't want to kill Alex like this." She chanced using the spy's first name as Fox occasionally did. "Maybe if you could look him in the eye and still do this... "

Fox practically spat venom at her to halt the words. "Hss... t!" Mulder's eyes during the brief glare he shot at her showed all the fury that his otherwise unmoving expression denied. "You don't know anything about it." Fox ruthlessly dismissed her from his attention in favour of adjusting his aim. The spy was just coming into range.

Gabrielle looked from her friend to his target and back again. She should have tried to get the full story out of him sooner. It would make deciding how deeply to interfere so much simpler. Gabrielle cautiously extended the tip of her staff and just as his finger tightened on the trigger she thumped his rifle, destroying his aim.

Mulder let out a frustrated snarl as he watched his target disappear from view between the pack animals. The line of soldiers went into full alert. "You self-righteous snip! You ruined... " His voice roared, giving away their location.

For a moment Gabrielle was almost certain he was going to attack her but instead he shoved roughly past her.

"Come on we've..." A sudden barrage of weapons' fire halted him in place. Fox shot a quick glance downward into the cut, taking note that the French were under attack rather than shooting at them. "Shit! I need to get down there."

xx

Sharpe, Harper, Cooper and Perkins were crouching just inside the tree line on the lower side of the road. Harper and Cooper were just settling back into their places after disposing of the bodies of the two advance French scouts. Pat was breathing heavily, winded by the struggle with the soldier he'd taken down. Both of them had been forced to work hard at killing the scouts quietly. Patrick's victim had fought against having his throat cut with more skill than Harper had come to expect of the average frog soldier. The bastard had almost squirmed out of Pat's grip and gotten off a warning shout. His teeth had even torn slightly at Harper's palm but the big Irishman finally managed to put the scout down without giving away the attack.

Richard was frowning back down the track, considering what they might be up against. Only when Xena had split from Richard and the forward group, taking Harris and Hagman further south down the road to set up their portion of the ambush did Sharpe seriously begin to second-guess the venture. They hadn't so much planned this attack as simply accepted Xena's suggestions. She had outlined it all so smoothly, consulting him and laying out a plan, coaxing him with smiles and soft words so that he found himself nodding in all the right places. It hadn't felt like coercion at the time but Richard was now thinking that she had talked him into an extremely awkward situation. They were laying an ambush for a force that only the partisan had seen and evaluated. On top of that, if the scouts served as fair examples, this bunch was well trained and tough. The situation was almost laughable. That's what he got for thinking below his belt instead of above his collar, the Major reminded himself. When this was over he and Xena needed to have a long talk. Not that he objected to the sex. The woman was talented and had a body that men would kill for the opportunity to tussle with. Which is what he was doing right now, Sharpe mused. Oh sure, they wanted Colonel Mulder back but if he was going to be honest about it Richard was here because it was what Xena wanted.

"We need to try and pick off as many of the bastards as possible before actually closing with them." Richard reminded them needlessly. That earned a vaguely indulgent look from Harper. Sharpe clamped his jaw tighter, trying to stifle the urge to say any other stupid words.

The irritation he felt at his own confusion was not something he meant to take out on the men. All in all they were being fairly understanding. Xena had put some effort into charming them as well. Richard hadn't seen Pat preen so obviously in months. In fact the more he thought about it the more he was beginning to suspect Xena's motives for encouraging his attentions. A little self interest wasn't that horrible a thing in a relationship but Sharpe was going to need to factor that awareness into any further actions he took around the woman.

The rattle of equipment and marching boots warned them that the leading edge of the patrol was approaching. The sounds made Richard frown, suggesting more men than he expected. Richard noticed Harper was sighting carefully down the barrel of the rifle Mulder had left behind. The American built weapon probably felt oddly light in his hands, accustomed as they were to his seven-barrel volley gun. He would be saving that weapon for when they had to close quarters.

Richard's gut tensed further as the French came into sight. This was only the first batch and he counted eight walking soldiers with an officer on horseback just joining them. His mouth pressed into a frown, considering. It was up to Sharpe to decide when the attack would commence. His shot would signal to Xena, Harris and Hagman that they should begin.

Richard dared the briefest of glances at Patrick and saw a mirror expression of concern at the size of the approaching force. It became more apparent with every breath that Sharpe should let this 'patrol' pass them by. Shadowing them and attempting to simply snatch Colonel Mulder later tonight, assuming these blokes even had the officer, would make more sense. Sharpe responded to his men's inquiring looks with a discreet wave of his hand indicating they should let the French pass. That earned nods all around.

Rifles were just beginning to lower when a single shot rang out rousing the enemy to full alert.

"Damn that woman!" Sharpe cursed pushing foreword to get a clear shot. If he lost any of the lads Richard decided he was going to wring Xena's neck for precipitating this uneven battle. The odds looked about three to one or worse.

Cooper and Perkins took out the two leading soldiers but most of the others were still out of their straight line of sight. Richard picked out a victim and fired. Considering the distance he should be able to get one reload in before it came down to swords and bayonets.

More gunpowder was now exploding from the rear of the column. The French were also returning fire although, in their sudden state of panic, they weren't hitting anything. Their Major, the calmest figure in the lot, wheeled his horse and levelled a pistol sending Sharpe diving to one side. A fountain of dirt and greenery marked the spot Richard had just vacated. The French Major was shouting something at his men, attempting to impose some kind of order on the scattering line. Unfortunately for him that just drew English attention to him even faster. They didn't want an organized resistance. The Frenchman's voice strangled off rather suddenly as Harper's shot winged the man, throwing him out of the saddle and dropping the Major's raised sword to the ground. Another blast from a reloaded rifle crumpled their Sergeant as well and a visible wave of indecision ran through the five still standing soldiers, hampering them even further. If that weren't enough a high pitched, undulating scream echoed up from back down the road suggesting dire straits for the rear end of the column.

The French Major was staggering to his feet with a look of shock on his face. His horse had fled and he wasn't exactly sure where his sword had got to. "Surrender!" He evaluated the situation quickly, shouting first to the trees that held the three chosen men and Sharpe then at his own men. "Rendez!" He ordered his soldiers. A nervous glance shot southward. He then looked straight at where Richard had thrown himself. "English. Surrender." The Major located where his weapon had landed. He carefully knelt to pick it up in a manner that indicated he had no intention of wielding it. "Nous rendons."

Sharpe got cautiously to his feet and stepped out, wary of the lesser soldiers but they seemed sufficiently cowed.

"Commandant. English." The Enemy Major addressed Richard, launching into a complex set of sentences in French. He pointed back to the rear of the column with one hand while extending his sword with the other.

Richard caught a reference to 'La Princesa' amid the rest of what sounded like a request. "I don't speak French." Sharpe informed the other.

"Parole?" The frustrated man reverted to simple wording, frowning at Harper, Cooper and Perkins as they appeared just in sight with their rifles all levelled. "Parole?" He repeated nervously as Xena's scream began again.

Heartily annoyed by the deductions he'd made and with Xena's behaviour Sharpe thoughtlessly did the one thing that was sure to frustrate and annoy the partisan. "Yeah." Richard nodded, crossing the distance to snatch up the other man's extended sword. "I accept your parole. Tell yer men to drop their weapons." Richard used the confiscated blade to gesture to the nearest of the French muskets.

A few snapped words from the surrendering Major had all of them disarming themselves. The man then pointed back down the road again and said something more about La Princesa.

Richard sighed, wishing he'd kept Harris with him.

xx

When Xena first dropped into place she had been pleased to note her primary target was clearly visible on his horse and lingering in the rear of the column. Of course the coward would be protected within the heaviest knot of French soldiers. Her pleasure soured quickly as the Major ended a brief chat with the Englishman and kicked his mount, heading for the leading edge without warning. She was tempted to attack early so she had a better chance at the Major but then they would end up fighting the entire column themselves rather than sharing the task with the lads up front. Besides, Richard would be fit to be tied if she forced the ambush when it was supposed to be his call.

It didn't help that Hagman and Harris were frowning as they realised the actual number of French soldiers. They didn't look worried, merely annoyed at her unspoken deception. "It's nothing we can't handle." The immortal whispered an assurance. Not that the pair of riflemen could back out now. They had no way to communicate with their commander. Her eyes fixed on the slowly moving line. If Richard didn't begin the attack by the time the last of the donkeys passed her she intended to force his hand. Xena idly wondered if Sharpe would still be speaking to her when this was over but that would depend on whether the English took any damage in the uneven battle.

The muscles in her legs twitched demanding action but Xena held perfectly still as the blue-uniformed men trooped past their position. She'd had to wait longer and in even more uncomfortable positions during times past. The warrior used the enforced inactivity to plan her attack out in her mind. The object was to be quick and concise so she could dispense with the back lot and see to her primary business.

Chaos came when a single shot cut through the air. Strangely enough it was high above them rather than up ahead. The French went into full alert, searching for the source of the attack. Xena noticed the green-jacketed man in the centre of the group immediately dived for cover between the pack animals. How typical of an English officer. On the up side, as soon as they realised that their captured Colonel was out of the line of fire Hagman and Harris took their shots, knocking two of the enemy off their feet. Xena's blast wasn't nearly as effective.

The partisan waited for the French soldiers to discharge their weapons then dropped her own spent pistol in favour of wading into the fray with her sword. Her high pitched battle cry bubbled up without thought as she tore across the divide between herself and her prey. Xena's intent was either to scatter them or put them out of action as quickly as possible so she could move on to the officer in charge. The first of them fell backwards attempting to escape the tip of her sword and tripped into the man behind him. Vague contempt made Xena change her mind about slashing into flesh and she kicked out instead. A heady flush of adrenaline hit her system as her instep met resistance. Movement caught the corner of her eye and the warrior whirled in place. A flick of her wrist snapped her sword around and the heavy hilt, along with her closed grip, slammed right into the centre of a soldier's chest throwing him down with a pained whoosh of air.

After so much anticipation her body extended into the pattern of thrusts, ducks and chops eagerly. Xena slammed the French back and to the dirt with ease despite swinging musket stocks and poking bayonets. The only time she actually had to use the bared edge of her blade was when one of them, the Sergeant, brandished a rather wicked looking belt knife her way. The simple parry she used tore the weapon out of his grip, sending a finger or two with it. The man backed away with a howl, further demoralizing the soldiers.

Xena swept a fierce glower about the clearing and was pleased to see the few still coherent soldiers had ended their feeble attempts at resistance. They held their hands extended in surrender, too scared to even speak. "Harris. Hagman." The warrior made an impatient gesture indicating that the French were now their problem. She had more important things to do. When the riflemen didn't immediately respond she shot a glare in the direction she'd left the pair.

They were out of the sheltering brush far enough to have seen the command but their response was hindered by the state of shock they were in. Harris' head was shaking as he looked over her handiwork.

Hagman blew out a breath he seemed to have been holding for too long. "That's fast work, Ma'am." The older man observed with a grimace.

"Secure them." Xena ordered curtly, careless of how they took her attitude now her objective was at hand. She no longer needed their goodwill. Her glacial blue eyes shifted to further up the road where Richard and the rest had to be engaging the front half of the column. Retribution was only a short run away. When the desire to let loose with another battle cry pricked at her Xena didn't deny the urge. She wanted that Major shaking in his boots and the regular soldiers scattering before her wrath.

Harris let out a low whistle as the tall woman turned away from them with an ear-piercing scream and ran. Drifting clouds of black smoke and the road's bend swallowed her up almost immediately.

"Come on." Hagman moved forward, his reloaded weapon pointed in preparation of resistance from the French now that Xena had departed.

Harris paced ahead with a slight detour so he could glance into the cover the French pack animals were providing. "Colonel Mulder where are you?" The rifleman shouted out, hoping for some aid in securing the prisoners. "Colonel Mulder, Sir, are you all right?"

Movement in the bracken at the side of the roadway tore Hagman's attention away from kicking the discarded French muskets into a pile. "Harris, ware the bushes!" He warned his partner, not wanting to take his own eyes off their prisoners.

The red-haired Englishman wheeled around to level his rifle at a stir of branches that didn't appear wind induced. "Step out or I'll fire." Harris warned a shadow-cloaked figure.

"You... " A tall man stepped forward. "... called me." He announced gravely. His rifle was held casually but not too far from a prepared stance. The man was strangely dressed in thin skins of grey, brown and black. A long sword and a heavy knife hung off his belt.

"Drop the gun and step out here." Harris demanded. His rifle barrel twitched indicating the direction.

"I don't have time for this." The newcomer snapped, sweeping an appraising look up the scruffy soldier. "I'm Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder of the South Essex and I'm on the trail of a French spy." He asserted. "Get out of my way and let me tend to my mission." The oddly clothed man took another step towards the clumped donkeys.

"Yeah, right." Harris sighted down the barrel of his rifle. "How about you just drop that gun of yours and those blades hanging off you and we'll step up to see what Major Sharpe has to say about you." He counter-offered. "Or I can kill you where you stand if you'd prefer. I'm not partial to either option. It's your choice."

An exasperated curse in a language Harris didn't even recognise growled out. The newcomer's attention shifted constantly, as if searching for something. "You're letting a spy escape!" He protested harshly, almost strangled by rage. "This is intolerable."

"Three... two... ." Harris began counting down a warning.

"Son of a bitch." The intruder's rifle hit the dirt and a frustrated snarl curled the man's upper lip. "I could have you hung for this, damn it. He's going to get away again."

"Over there." Harris gestured for the man to join the small knot of French soldiers.

xx

Navarre, much to Alek's annoyance, still hadn't come through with the promised money and letters when a blast and the whiz of a shot riled up the soldiers surrounding him. Aleksandr didn't wait to find out who or why before getting himself out of the way. His reflexes of self-preservation were finely honed and not to be ignored. For the next while most of his effort was put to keeping the donkeys from trampling him during the noisiest part of the conflict. It seemed that the animals liked the sound of gunfire even less than Alek did.

When the screeching woman emerged from the roadside Aleksandr retreated even further from the scene. It had to be 'La Princesa Guerrera', he reasoned. The Russian lingered just near enough to barely see a sample of the woman's technique in case he ever had to face her in a fight. All he learned was that, given a choice, he didn't ever want to deal with the fully enraged partisan.

Damn. Damn. Damn. She was destroying half his escort to safety and from the sounds of it her companions were laying waste to the other half. If only Navarre had already given him what he wanted Aleksandr would be free to run for Paris. With a snarl of annoyance, he palmed one of his throwing knives and contemplated sending it into the back of the woman's skull while she was distracted with the soldiers. It would solve this problem... but in the grand scheme of the world he owed the woman a debt for her disposal of Malais.

The question was 'if it would be better to simply fade away right now and try to handle his own problems or did Alek want to take his chances here and keep hold of the aid Etienne was offering'. Fuck, but he needed Navarre's winery to hide his siblings.

She took the decision out of his hands by tearing the French apart faster than he could resolve the dilemma then calling to her allies in the trees. "Harris! Hagman!" The partisan snapped imperiously.

The hiding Russian grimaced and immediately began to re-evaluate the situation yet again. His cover was shaken, but still intact so he should be able to secure Etienne's safety then turn this mess into a brief delay rather than an end to his plans. He'd have to come up with a story to explain his disappearance, but Hell, how hard could that be? Perhaps something about that chubby Hogan instructing him to infiltrate the French immediately rather than completing the assigned mission. With a little luck he could extract Navarre and be on their way by nightfall, assuming Sharpe could contain this wild woman.

While he'd been plotting Xena had passed on some directions to the pair of British riflemen and was turning away. Aleksandr was relieved that Harris was one of them. The redhead was the most sympathetic towards Alek of all the Chosen men. It wouldn't take too much effort to convince Harris to go along with his wayward Colonel's orders.

Surprisingly enough, as soon as La Princesa strode away Harris called out to 'Colonel Mulder' and paced over towards the pack animals. They must have seen him with the French before the ambush was sprung. "Colonel Mulder, are you all right?" Honest concern coloured the rifleman's tone.

Aleksandr, with a faint sigh of satisfaction at the other's encouraging manner, was just about to move into view when the elder Brit, Hagman, shouted a warning. "Harris, ware the bushes." Christ, yet another factor to consider, Alek thought in annoyance. Still, best to see what was up before he presented himself. Crouching low to the dirt, he watched and listened as Harris turned away to confront whoever was creeping up on them.

"You... called me."

It only took three words to make Aleksandr's mind start gibbering in reaction. He didn't have to see the newcomer to recognise the speaker. That inviting voice was seared into his mind as surely as Malais' initials were cut into his shoulders. 'My friends call me Fox' resonated inside him yet again, making him shiver. It was intolerable that such a brief encounter with the man had made an unreasonably vivid impression. Alek physically recoiled, the breath completely sucked out of his chest. The situation had turned into a pile of ashes. If Mulder laid hands on him, Aleksandr was a dead man or worse.

"Drop the gun and step out here."

Harris wouldn't dare take that tone with an officer. Okay, Sharpe's lot didn't know the lay of the land yet. Alek scrambled frantically backwards and over into the thin safety of the underbrush.

Mulder was protesting the order in a tone that was all too familiar to Alek. One that simply reeked of command, good breeding and arrogance. The man's distinctive pronunciation caused other words, firmly embedded in Aleksandr's mind, to ricochet about inside his head. (That's what you're after, isn't it pretty one?) The memory almost obliterated what the Canadian was actually saying. Luckily Harris was standing firm against the attempted intimidation even as Alek wriggling away on his hands and knees to keep from drawing any attention to himself. Damn, he knew he liked that clever redhead for a reason.

"You're letting a spy escape!" The man was almost as enraged as the Princesa had been though he handled it differently. What Alek could see of Mulder's expression suggested a long, painful death for Aleksandr if they ever met face to face again. Mulder's eyes were practically blazing with hatred.

"Three... two... " Harris continued on, unruffled by sight.

"Son of a bitch!" Mulder's temper flared threatening damage to his weapon as he threw it down. He had to be in a state of incoherent rage to risk the gun with such a childish gesture. "I could have you hung for this." The Colonel snapped. "He's going to get away again."

You miss me that much, do you Fox? Aleksandr attempted to internally joke himself out of his panic attack. Feeling a little more secure within the cover of the roadside and with Harris completely disregarding Mulder's claim Alek decided to shadow the small group as they moved northward to reconnect with the rest of the attackers. Aleksandr couldn't see any harm in finding out if there might still be a way to extract Navarre from this mess. No one had spotted him yet. It wasn't too late to abandon his possible champion and run if he had to. Moving as quickly as he dared, Alek scrabbled northward through the encroaching bracken to see what was happening to the front end of the column.

xx

The extent of the noise the approaching soldiers were making made Harper frown and stretch his neck to get a better look at the roadway. Xena hadn't suggested the 'patrol' was large enough to justify too much fuss and bother. Pat was thinking about a dozen or so French soldiers made up their intended target. His mouth tightened into a displeased frown. It seemed the Lady had mislead them because Harper doubted the under-exaggeration was due to poor scouting. Using the tip of Mulder's abandoned rifle as a pointer the Irishman began counting off targets as soon as they appeared. His frown deepened even further. Surely the Major knew better than to take this lot on in a straight out firefight. They would need to shave away a fair lot of the French first to bring the number down closer to one on one.

Sharpe, sensibly enough, seemed decided on letting the column pass by. That way they'd have a better grasp on exactly how many French there were and what kind of shape Colonel Mulder was in... or even if the troop had him. They could set up another ambush further up the trail after taking these things into account.

Unfortunately it seemed Xena or someone was intent on taking that choice out of the Major's hands as well. A single rifle blast destroyed the idea of letting them pass without incident. French muskets levelled to firing position and eyes searched frantically for targets. From the south came the blasts of their companions defending themselves from a rear attack. Panicked, they followed suit too soon, wasting their single rounds on movement in the surrounding underbrush without hitting anything.

One of them, higher than the rest, actually spied the attacking English before discharging his pistol. He took a pot shot at Richard, almost hitting the English Major and thereby sealed his fate. Nobody messed with Pat's best friend without paying the consequences. "Bloody hell." Patrick swore softly. If Sharpe hadn't moved that son of a bitch would have got him. The horse and the uniform made it easy while Mulder's too-light rifle and the bite on his hand worked the opposite effect. Harper's ball threw the French Officer to the ground but he knew it wasn't even close to a killing shot. (Damn it to hell.)

Pat didn't bother trying to reload the unfamiliar weapon. He'd leave the second volley to the others. Instead he grabbed up his own gun and crawled, edging closer to the confused French men. With luck he'd take out two or three of the bastards. The good Lord knew with the chaos erupting about them no one was liable to notice his stealthy approach.

The hair on the back of his neck stood up as a screeching wail from the back of the column sliced into his ear. Now that was a war cry that would do a banshee proud. It had to be Xena. Harper was just popping up to take down the nearest bunch of Frogs when their officer started yelping about surrender. Patrick almost laughed aloud at how much easier this was than he had feared. The enemy was obviously unsettled about what was happening further down the trail, completely unaware of how small the English force was and were ready to throw down their spent muskets. The Major that Harper had wounded had turned all his attention on Sharpe and was going through the motions of surrendering.

Pat, not trusting such an easy victory, cast baleful glares about those soldiers still standing. He kept the barrel of his gun trained in their direction and took a few steps closer to insure a good scatter over them if he fired.

Richard, strangely enough, seemed well on his way to taking the enemy officer's parole and was coming over so Patrick left the common soldiers to Cooper and Perkins's supervision. His concern was in keeping his Major safe from harm.

A flicker of movement caught the corner of his eye, distracting Pat from the cross language muddle Sharpe and the French officer were attempting. He hoped it was Harris coming to handle translation duties but he feared the back end of the column hadn't gotten the order to surrender. Another few long strides brought the tall figure clear. Xena was closing the distance at a quick pace. Her shoulders were squared and the Partisan's blade was raised menacingly. There was something definitely off here, between her shoving them into the unwanted ambush and the manner of her approach.

"Major, Sir." Harper lifted his voice in warning. A quick look showed him that the French soldiers were passive but hesitating in the act of discarding their bayonets as they began to notice the approaching woman. Not that Harper was completely unsympathetic to their fear. It became more obvious as she grew closer that the woman was in an absolute rage. There was no sign of the lady who'd been playfully chatting with them only a couple of hours ago. Xena's grim expression gave the impression she was ready to start hacking heads from bodies. "Major Sharpe." Patrick moved to narrow the distance between himself and his friend. Sharpe needed to look up and see what was barrelling in their direction.

Richard, however, simply wasn't aware of the angry Partisan, wrapped up as he was in the French officer's attempts at communication. Worse yet, Sharpe now stood next to that man and was accepting the bloke's sword. Pat was dead certain Xena wouldn't be too pleased to discover that the Frog had been allowed to surrender. He distinctly recalled her wanting see the death of that one last night.

Another threatening scream from the woman warrior seemed to confirm his suspicions. She stalked forward, looking the very image of an executioner about to go work. Her jawline was hard as rock and her eyes practically burned from inside. It didn't appear as if she intended to let anyone or anything stop her from slicing that Frog Officer into bloody strips. If the Major had already given the bloke parole, which Pat expected he had, there was going to be big trouble.

Harper realised that Richard was thwarting Xena's plans so he set to slowing her down, wanting the Major to have a chance to prepare for her arrival. "Beggin' your pardon, Miss Xena, but could you be telling me what's happening back there? Have the lads got things under control already?" Patrick shifted himself in front of the tall woman, attempting to make her to pause without getting too confrontational. "That was fast."

Xena's manner seemed completely at odds with those ferocious war cries and what he suspected of her intentions but the precise control she was demonstrating made her seem all the more frightening. "I've a man to kill." She responded in an eerily calm tone. "And you and your precious Major better stay the hell out of my way or I'll cut down the pair of you as well." Her wintry blue eyes looked past him as if he were no more than a bug on the trail and not one scrap of affection softened her voice.

Patrick flinched internally. Oh sweet Jesus. That's all poor Sharpe needed now, was to have the first Lady he'd taken a strong fancy to since his wife died turn on him without a second thought. It'd break his spirit right back down into the pit where it had been when Teresa was first murdered.

Xena attempted to side step around him.

Harper reluctantly matched the evasion and continued to wall her off from the officers. "I'm not meaning anything by it, Miss Xena, but surely you can spare a brief moment to talk to Major Sharpe before you execute the prisoner."

The words and action earned him the Partisan's attention. A dark eyebrow quirked as Xena actually looked at who was delaying her for the first time. "I'm in a hurry."

One gloved hand snapped out and, with strength of arm that Harper couldn't believe the woman possessed, he was shoved aside. The Irishman landed a good six feet away on his arse, staring up in complete shock. Patrick hesitated only a breath before scrabbling after the gun she'd knocked loose from his hands. The only person left standing between that woman and her intended target was the Major and Harper feared Sharpe was quite likely to do something honourable and deadly foolish.

xx

They weren't doing as badly as Navarre feared they would after a month of slacking discipline and an entire day spent in dread filled anticipation. The initial fluster of disorganisation was disheartening but Etienne had managed to send an enemy officer scrambling for cover and he was attempting to settle his soldiers into a proper defence when a hard blow knocked from his saddle. He recognised the searing pain across his rib cage quickly enough. He'd been hit before worse than this more times than he cared to recall. It didn't feel like anything more than a flesh wound. Unfortunately, in the time it took him to stagger back up to his feet his men had lost cohesion once more. Rifle fire was coming from two directions now indicating that the rear soldiers wouldn't be coming to their aid anytime soon and some wild undulating scream was setting his teeth on edge. Tales he'd heard from other patrols had described just such a wail. Damn, they were in even deeper trouble than he feared. It appeared as if the Princesa had hooked herself up with a British rifle company and was in on this ambush as well. Things were growing more disheartening with every breath he took it seemed.

Sergeant Bascar was sprawled in the dust like a child's broken toy, Etienne's mount had vanished and he wasn't even sure were his sword had gotten to. Lord have mercy. This had to be the worst his troop had ever preformed. He hoped Malais was burning in purgatory for the damage he was still doing from beyond the grave. Navarre knew it was time to cut his losses and he looked around to see how many of his men were left to surrender. As bad luck would have it, the best of them were down leaving only five adequate soldiers still upright. "Surrender!" Etienne began in English, needing to stop the carnage now. It was a lost cause. "Rendez!" The Major shouted the order to his men. Too many of them were clutching at wounds or laying still. This particular batch of attackers wore British uniforms. They would honour a proper surrender. Better that than trusting his men to the vengeful cruelties of La Princesa. An image of what she had done flashed inside his brain brining a shiver of dread that made him glance nervously in her direction to see if she was approaching.

Navarre made himself shake off that thought and he set to searching for the English officer he had shot at earlier amid the attackers "Nous rendons!" His didn't dare trust his grasp of the unfamiliar language. Surely the man would understand such a simple phrase or at least their actions. French musket barrels were dropping, pointing bayonets down to the warm dirt in response to his order.

A glint of light caught Navarre's eyes and he bent to retrieve his sword, picking it up below the handle so as to make it obvious he had no intention of wielding it against the blonde Major in rifle green who stood not four feet from Etienne. "Commandant. English." Etienne began then realised the futility of getting across anything in that illogical, awkward language. {Major, I need you to intercede. You can't let the Warrior Princess get her hands on my men. She's a monster.} Navarre gestured to the back of the column trying to make the strange officer understand what kind of threat the woman was while at the same time offering up his sword to make his intentions completely clear. {You've got to control the Warrior Princess, keep her away from the men. It's only fair.} Etienne glanced nervously in that direction wondering the best way to handle the Aleksandr situation. {We have one of your officers, an English Colonel, with us.} Etienne supplied. {We didn't harm him. He's back there with the animals. If you'll just speak to him he'll straighten everything out.} Alek claimed he had held cover against the English patrol he had fled and it was quite possible this was that same bunch. With a little luck the spy might be able to extricate them without further damages. Navarre held his hands clearly at his sides.

"I don't speak French." The scruffy Englishman shook his head in denial of what Etienne was trying to get across.

This damned man was going to be no help at all. They needed Alek up here. "Parole?" Navarre baby-talked with a sigh of frustration. If he lived through this, Etienne vowed to himself he was going try to learn the basics of that ridiculous language. More uniformed English were appearing from the underbrush. This had to be a proper company, surely they would treat prisoners with the respect they deserved and not allow that woman to hack them all into vulture bait.

As if on cue the Partisan's wail cut through the air once more, sending an uncontrollable quake of primal fear up Etienne's spine. "Parole." He insisted again, a bit more franticly, with an unconscious flinch at the nearness of the angry woman.

Finally the rough looking officer seemed to grasp what Navarre was trying to do. "Yeah." With a certain amount of reluctance the man walked up and carelessly snatched the extended weapon from Etienne's hand. "I accept yer parole. Tell yer men to drop their weapons." Although the words didn't make sense the Major's accompanying action clarified the command slightly. He was flicking the tip of Navarre's cherished sword as if it were a stick of wood and pointing at the still armed if not ready French soldiers.

{These English will see to your safety from the Warrior Princess.} Etienne called over to his men, projecting more confidence than he felt. {Lay down your weapons. It's over.} He turned back to the strange Major. {You are going to contain la Princesa, aren't you?}

At that point the reason for his men's hesitation to disarm finally became clear. Turning his head Etienne eyes finally registered that an infuriated sword-toting woman was barrelling down on him. One of the Brits, a Sergeant by the looks of it and no small man at that, attempted to slow her down by planting himself in the partisan's path only to find himself tossed aside like a rag doll scant moments later.

The English Major finally noticed the woman's intentions and moved to place himself in her way. The Brit shouted out something about surrender and held his hand up, palm out to halt her. Unfortunately the warrior woman showed no sign of accepting the order. She continued on even faster raising her weapon as she approached.

The Englishman dropped Navarre's sword to the trampled ground and pulled his own weapon. "Xena. No!" The name and demand blurted out as the man hesitantly lifted his blade in defence of his prisoner. An explanatory remark about surrender and parole came out of the defending Major, at least that's what it sounded like to Etienne. So the man was taking his word seriously, thank God. The Englishman's shoulders were tight with tension and his stance shifted nervously.

A quick glance about the gathered soldiers suggested to Navarre that the Major's move might precipitate yet another conflict. Concern was clear on the faces of the English and the downed Sergeant was scrambling after his fallen gun with an expression of worry that was aimed in the woman's direction rather than at the surrendering French.

A clang of metal dragged Navarre's attention back to the woman and his defender. The Major had overextended himself slightly to block a swing of the Princesa's sword. She issued a curt order in a growl that reminded Etienne of a feral cat. The woman emphasised her point with a casual swipe of her weapon that required the Englishman to perform yet another risky block.

xx

"Xena, no. You can't. I gave him parole. He's under my protection." Richard could feel the knots forming in his stomach. Sharpe knew from the moment that he raised his sword that he didn't stand a chance against Xena in a swordfight, not after the performance she'd put on this morning. He'd also seen the kind of fury that glittered in her eyes too many times not to comprehend the danger of stepping between the partisan and her prey. His actions, made in a state of irritation suddenly seemed incredibly foolish. Protests that he had accepted the French Major's parole would likely mean less than nothing to the angry woman but there was also no way his honour would allow him to stand aside and watch while she slaughtered a man who had surrendered his weapon. He barely blocked a powerful down stroke. "I don't want to fight with you."

"Then move. He's mine to deal with." Her sword did another of those lightning fast swipes that jarred him to the core to intercept. What was worse, Xena showed no sign that the actions required any real effort on her part. These brutal cuts were nothing more than warnings. "I could chop off your hands... or worse if you don't get out of my way Richard." Xena announced calmly.

"But I thought, hoped, that last night and this morning meant... Xena please." What a mess. Damn, he should have realised this was how she would react upon sighting the officer she'd been hunting. He shouldn't have accepted the French bastard's surrender so quickly, not after what Xena had told him about the man's past actions. He should have minded Pat's warning voice sooner rather than dismissing his Sergeant's words in favour of the French Major's confusing blabber. The other man wouldn't have been calling to him during the exchange if it weren't a matter of grave importance. This was nothing but one screw up after another, but the fact was, he HAD accepted the request for parole and there was no way he could withdraw it just because it didn't suit Xena's intentions. "Don't do this. I gave my word."

"I don't care." She gritted out before stabbing negligently forward.

Richard had to jump aside and even with that quick response he still felt fabric snag and tear on her blade. The shallow slice she made stung, hurting more than it should. Christ on a crutch, if she was actually prepared to draw blood over this how much further would she be willing to press her claim? A quick glance to the side showed that Patrick was upright once more and had retrieved his volley-gun. His companion was taking aim at the furious partisan. A part of the Major's brain wondered idly if the Irishman could bring himself to actually kill the woman in time to spare him a deathblow. "I'll make sure he's justly punished, Xena. It's not like... " Sharpe stalled. Desperately searching her expression he was dismayed to find no hint of the flirtatious woman he had spent the morning with. Not a single touch of regard for him seemed to taint her perfect fury. "He's going to pay for his crimes. We'll tell Wellington how he was treating the locals."

"You want to 'tell on him'?" Xena barked out a harsh laugh. "This isn't some child's game, Richard. The man's a butcher. His victims demand retribution."

"Not like this." He continued to argue, keeping himself between her and the Frenchman. "You'll have to go through me to kill him, and I don't think you're willing to do that." Sharpe announced with more conviction than he thought possible under the circumstances.

"If that's the way you want it. Fine." With a look of complete disgust the warrior spun about and flattened him with a completely unexpected backhand across the face. The force of the blow dropped Richard to the ground, face throbbing. Xena snorted dismissively at him and elegantly whirled her blade in a complete circle. She then raised it as if to finish the job by severing his head from his body.

Strangely enough Richard thought he heard a woman's voice shouting somewhere nearby. The situation almost made him laugh, it was so odd. He'd always expected to die at another man's hand in the company of nothing but soldiers.

xx

If Xena had told her once she'd told her a thousand times 'act, don't react' but that simple piece of advice refused to take hold right now. Perhaps her sleepless night was affecting her more than she thought. Gabrielle had bumped Fox's rifle without really considering all the angles. When the ambush had erupted down below she chased after Fox as he searched for an acceptable place to slide down the incline to join in the melee. When the long-unheard and sorely missed 'Aii yii yii' of Xena's battle cry reached her ears most of her reason fled. All that mattered was getting down the ravine wall as quickly as possible. Gabrielle skidded down the rocky slope right behind the Ranger without considering that Dana might have difficulty following in their footsteps. After two thousand years her beloved was only a short run away and Gabrielle needed to close the distance NOW.

They hit the bottom with only the briefest of stumbles. Fox skidded wildly, kicking up dust, and took off running again. Damn, he was fast for such a tall man. He was ghosting along the edges of the road, aiming to get to the back of the column as quickly as he could without being stopped by anyone involved in the closer conflict. The Ranger's full night's sleep and long legs gave him the advantage. In no time flat he had vanished along his intended route leaving Gabrielle alone. Not that it mattered. Most of the gunfire had ended but some kind of set-to was erupting not too far off. Another of those distinct battle cries told Gabrielle where she needed to go. Xena was rapidly moving in her direction.

Although it was too far to make out the exact words Gabrielle's ears caught the unmistakable tones of her soulmate's voice and a painful thrill pierced her. How tragic was it that after so long her first earful was tainted with anger? The distance between them couldn't close fast enough. The blood was pounding in her ears.

The scene that finally greeted her searching eyes was all the more hurtful for the eager anticipation that had been thrilling through her. Gabrielle had expected to find her beloved in the centre of a conflict, but she wasn't prepared for this. The larger battle seemed to have ended and the only person still attempting to fight was Xena. The soldier that the immortal was crossing swords with was clothed in an English uniform just like the one Dana had been wearing all this time. She had turned on those that should have been her allies. Worse yet she was toying with him as a vicious cat with a mouse while the man attempted to guard an unarmed Frenchman. Intimately acquainted with sword work, Gabrielle knew a sadly mismatched duel when she saw one. The Englishman was attempting to stall, speaking earnestly, but Xena was completely disinterested in words. Gods, it was everything Gabrielle had feared through the long day and night, her greatest fear come to life. She really might be too late.

When Xena slammed the man to the dirt and flipped her blade about as if preparing to deliver a deathblow a cry of protest broke out without thought. {Beloved! Don't!} The language of her birth tore instinctively forth from Gabrielle's throat. She threw herself forward with every bit of strength left in her legs to interrupt the execution.

xx

Mulder's gaze swept the area as the English soldiers herded him right back to the portion of the column that Fox had attempted to avoid. Krycek was at the rear, damn it, and likely disappearing further into the wilderness with every breath.

It wasn't like the English Major in charge of this lot had any time to spare either, Mulder realised as they came in sight of the small knot of people around the bend in the trail. It appeared as if the warrior Princess had done what the English Commanders had feared and turned on her allies. At least Fox supposed the tall beauty battering away at the Major in green was Xena. He doubted that there could be two such women in the area. Her style was everything he expected and more. The man she was trading blows with was so far below her skill level that it was almost laughable. "Your Major is in trouble." Mulder observed aloud. "Perhaps you should return my pistol so I can lend a hand." If the pair of combatants weren't separated soon the blonde was a dead man.

The muskets belonging to the French soldiers had been left in a pile back with the animals but the red-haired soldier had hooked the strap of the expensive rifle over his shoulder and shoved Mulder's pistol into his belt.

Pale tinted movement caught Fox's eye so he turned away from the glare his request had invoked. Gabrielle was headed towards the conflict at a full out run. That blasted staff of her's, the one Fox was quickly learning to dislike, was twisting in an arch as she ran. Gabrielle surely couldn't be intending on stepping into a swordfight with only her stick as a weapon, Mulder thought. Not that it was going to matter in a moment he decided as Fox turned his attention back to the duel. In a move that simply reeked of contempt the warrior woman backhanded the English officer, tossing him to the dirt. She then twirled her sword, drawing everyone's attention to the brightly flashing metal. Not only was the woman a skilled fighter but she was an artist about it as well.

Gabrielle's voice tore through the moment of still the action had precipitated with a horrified shout. Her unrecognisable words couldn't be anything but a protest. Fox dared the wrath of his escort and broke into a run as well. He had to intercept his friend because it looked liked she was about to throw herself right in the way of that descending blade.

xx

Damn Patrick for stepping in her path. Xena cursed internally. She hadn't wanted to strike out at the good-natured Irishman but neither could she allow his obvious attempts at slowing her down. Every breath that French bastard took was an affront to his victims in their graves.

And double damn Richard for taking the monster's parole. She'd made her position absolutely clear last night and had gotten the impression that the pair of them were in complete agreement with her. How dare Sharpe decide on some kind of whim that justice was something that those useless buggers back at Wellington's camp would be given the chance to dispense? Xena had explained the situation. She had told him that she had every intention of cutting the French officer into pieces yet Richard had made no objections until this very moment. The arrogance of the man was staggering, to decide the Frenchman's fate without consulting her when she was the one who had brought them to this point. That he stood there with every expectation of Xena caving into his will was more than the immortal cared to take.

Xena's annoyance at Sharpe's presumption was skewing her behaviour. She realised that. It would have been easy enough to simply toss the English Major aside and get on with her task but his thoughtless actions demanded correction. So the warrior woman postponed her retribution long enough to swing her sword at her lover of the night before.

"I don't want to fight with you." Richard wielded his sword clumsily. His defence was strong enough but far too primitive. He obviously wasn't used to doing much more than hacking at obstacles with that heavy weapon he carried.

"Then move. He's mine to deal with." Xena reminded the Englishman and took another swipe at him. She'd claimed the right to kill this one already. "I could chop off your hands." The immortal reminded him of her skill. "Or worse if you don't get out of my way."

"But I thought, hoped, that last night and this morning meant... Xena please." Sharpe attempted to sway her.

The warrior glared coldly. He was one to talk about what the evening before had meant, she thought grimly. She'd made her position clear right from the start and Richard had shown no sign of objecting to her intentions when he was getting what he wanted from her.

"Don't do this. I gave my word."

As if his given word was supposed to bind her? A single night of shared satisfaction didn't turn her into his servant or his wife. "I don't care." Xena thrust the point of her sword at him. With each warning strike she drew a little closer to seriously damaging him, physically ordering him to walk away from this conflict. The immortal took first blood, reminding him how much better she was with her sword.

"I'll make sure he's justly punished, Xena. It's not like... " Sharpe hedged. "He's going to pay for his crimes. We'll tell Wellington how he was treating the locals."

And then those stupid bastards would ransom the Frenchman back to put more gold in their pockets. Xena couldn't help but laugh at Sharpe's naïve expectation of justice being given by the British officer class. "You want to 'tell on him'?" The warrior woman asked sarcastically, what the hell was the fool Brit thinking. "This isn't some child's game, Richard." She responded with an amused sneer. "The man's a butcher. His victim's demand retribution."

"Not like this." Sharpe continued to block her away. "You'll have to go through me to kill him, and I don't think you're willing to do that."

The insolence in that statement twanged jarringly across every nerve she had. It didn't help that the French officer standing behind Richard chose that moment to actually look her in the face. Up until this point Xena thought she had herself under control but absolute fury roared up and attempted to consume all rational thought. "If that's the way you want it. Fine." She'd teach Richard a lesson that he wouldn't soon forget. Xena whipped in a circle to gather up as much momentum as possible. Her hand shot out, connected with Sharpe's face with a satisfying smack of flesh on flesh, and knocked the Brit down. Going for the most dramatic effect possible the immortal spun her bared blade then raised it high, demanding the Major's attention. The way his eyes widened in fear was almost satisfying enough to stop her but Xena decided to go for the full performance. {Beloved! Don't!} Inside her head, more clearly than it had sounded in over a thousand years, the immortal could hear Gabrielle screaming out her objection to the punishment she was inflicting on her lover of the night before. If she didn't know better Xena would've swung about in search of the source of the sound, fully expecting to meet the bard's disappointed green eyes.

The warrior woman grimaced and let her blade begin its descent towards Richard's neck. She'd halt the movement before she cut skin, but Sharpe wouldn't soon forget the feelings that impending death would send rushing through him. To Xena's complete astonishment the edge of her sword thunked against hard wood sending a bone-rattling jolt up her arms. She wouldn't have been surprised by the blast of a rifle but that someone would dare to interfere in such a manner was inconceivable. Flashing blue eyes shifted to discover which of Sharpe's lads had the balls to step in only to discover something even more improbable.

A young woman. A young blonde woman. The immortal's brain processed sluggishly. A young blond woman who looked like her long departed soulmate. Xena didn't know whether to drop her weapon and stare or disembowel the doppelganger for inflicting this kind of cruel torment on her.

The blonde held her ground, keeping up a steady pressure with her tall staff so that the partisan's blade got no closer to Sharpe's prone form. "Xena" The newcomer looked up with huge green eyes that attempted to convey more than words could hope to achieve. Her gaze seemed to be trying to swallow the immortal's essence whole. {By the Gods, my love, I'd forgotten how magnificent you are.} The compliment was in a hushed, reverent tone.

It couldn't be. Xena yanked her sword free and raised it in threat, this time against the interloper. "Who the hell are you?" The warrior demanded in a bare whisper. All the air had been torn out of her lungs by shock and rage. Her muscles bunched and screamed demanding some kind of physical reaction to the adrenaline now burning its way through her body.

The first response was a pained blink. The blonde flinched back, anguish marking her lovely face. {Beloved, has it been so long? It's me, Gabrielle}

Her staff had lowered. Now was the time to strike the woman down, but... Greek. The immortal's mind managed to realise. An old, almost ancient dialect. Something deep inside her wailed. [Impossible!]

{Lower your sword, Beloved. I can explain.}

{Impossible!} Xena roared back in that same language and dared a powerful swipe of her long sword. "IMPOSSIBLE!" She reverted to English as another chip was torn and thrown off the stained staff leaving a pale wound behind. The warrior launched into an attack with every bit of skill she possessed but each move of the assault was either blocked by that rapidly moving stick or evaded entirely.

Several blows into the attack the interloper's look of astonishment was replaced by a frown of annoyed anger. {Xena stop it!} She demanded imperiously while fending off some of the immortal's most effective moves. {It's me, Gabrielle. I've come back. It's me, beloved. I can prove it to you.} For the first time the blonde made an offensive move, rapping the immortal hard on the ribs to make her point. {STOP IT!}

Panting more from the emotions tearing through her than from exertion, Xena pulled back away from the conflict and stared at her opponent once more. Gods, she wished she could believe but she didn't dare. Searching the newcomer's face and comparing it to slightly faded memories told her it was. That amazing staff work that Xena had never seen duplicated told her it was. The very blood rushing inside her body surged at the possibility but there was no way that Xena could believe the fates could allow this to happen. It had to be some kind of trick because if it were true, that Gabrielle could return, then why hadn't her soulmate done just that long before now?

xx

La Princesa Guerrera X

jimcarla@hotmail.com

Is that an Indiana Jones cliffhanger or what?

Insert a vision of Jim snickering maliciously here ;- )

La Princesa Guerrera
Chapter IX
By Carla Jane and Jim
January 2000
THE FULL DISCLAIMER LIST IS AT THE BEGINNING OF CHAPTER I. Perhaps you should go and check out all the warnings if you're a sensitive reader
Ownership: The characters from Xena: Warrior Princess, the X-files and Sharpe are not and never will be ours. This is all for fun, not profit... honest.
Violence, language and sexual content: This chapter gets an R rating for violence and dirty words. The story, as a whole, contains f/f, f/m, and m/m sexual relationships.
If any of this offends you, or if you are underage, or it's illegal where you live... please, stop reading now.
Direct any compliments, productive criticism or orders to "hurry up, damnit!" to:
jimcarla@hotmail.com
Feel free to visit our homepage at:
Other websites— http://members.dencity.com/CarlaJane/homepage.html

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]