Go to notes and disclaimers


La Princesa Guerrera X
by Carla Jane and Jim



Gabrielle: I hope I never disappoint you, Xena.
Xena: Impossible.
Gabrielle: I've learned that anything is possible.

Harper was within a breath of pulling the trigger on his shotgun when a slight blonde woman appeared out of nowhere shouting some babble and inserting herself into the path of Xena's falling blade. As hard as it was to believe, the newcomer was actually able to hold back the furious partisan with a mere stick. The two women traded a few unrecognizable words and a great number of blurringly fast blows. Confident that Xena was distracted temporarily, Patrick rushed over to drag his Major upright and out of the middle of the scuffle. Harper motioned the French officer back as well to provide the combatants with a clear area.

Sharpe didn't even bother to dust himself off. His attention was locked on the women. An expression of disbelief and betrayal, a sight Pat was all too familiar with, marked Richard's face. The temptation was still there to shoot the Partisan while she was involved with the newcomer. Sharpe had suffered through enough pain when he'd lost his wife. Xena's careless abuse of the Major's affections wasn't something Patrick wanted to let slide.

Harper grimaced and kept a tight hold on his volley-gun. His attention had to be split, much to his annoyance. There were prisoners about who were still altogether too close to their discarded weapons. The French officer's horse was running off. Harris and Hagman were just coming into sight with more captives, one of which was struggling against Hagman's grip, attempting to escape custody. Sharpe was cursing quietly and still didn't seem completely prepared to take control of the situation. Pat simply couldn't afford to watch the conflict between the little blonde and Xena. Besides the things that they were saying to each other didn't make any sense to him. "Perkins! Gather up those muskets." He ordered in a loud voice, breaking into the young rifleman's fascination with the unfolding duel. "Cooper! Mind the prisoners." Pat reached out to touch Sharpe's arm. "Sir, what should we do about... ?" Harper's question broke off unfinished as he noticed yet another source of movement. A small smudge of English rifle green appeared in the direction that the blonde girl had come from. It was a single figure running fast towards them.

xx

Dana would have screamed but she didn't have the breath to spare. Her sore body was protesting the tumble she'd taken down that last section of the incline. Fox and Gabrielle had to be related to mountain goats to have taken that pitiful excuse for a path down the cliff without slowing down or breaking their necks. Her legs felt like they were made out of wet straw as she ran to catch up with her companions and her throat hurt from the panting gulps of air she was taking in.

The small clumps of soldiers became visible first. Dana saw green and blue coats with pants of grimy white on some of them. The soldiers, however, were for the most part just standing still. Motion caught her attention, a scene she couldn't quite reconcile with her expectations.

Gabrielle was squaring off against a tall, dark-haired woman. Her staff was fending off hits from a swinging sword. Dana's friend shouted angrily and whacked her opponent in the ribs. That strike seemed to have had more than a physical impact. Finally coming close enough to be able to pick out faces, Dana watched as Gabrielle's duelling partner stepped back shaking her head in denial of what was occurring. It was enough to make Dana's heart ache even more than her body. That had to be Xena. Yet, rather than meeting Gabrielle with joy at the reunion, the partisan was projecting nothing but anger and distrust. The dejection her friend was reacting with made Dana want to rush in and shield Gabrielle with her own body.

Xena's chin was raised and the line of her jaw was tight. That dark head was shaking back and forth while she stepped away. The two women were exchanging curt words.

Dana absently noted that Major Sharpe and Sergeant Harper were nearby. Confident that she'd be in no danger from the soldiers since they knew her, the Irish woman pushed her protesting body into closing the last of the distance so she could slide up to Gabrielle's back and laid a supportive palm on her friend's shoulder. Gathering her courage about her, Dana glared up at the woman who was responsible for Gabrielle's look of anguish.

"Miss Dana! What are you doing here?"

Patrick let out a surprised exclamation but the redhead continued to keep her attention on the confrontation between the two women.

Xena snapped out some especially sharp complaint causing the bard to flinch back into Dana. All about them the men were breaking into cautious action and shouting at each other but the women continued to stand quietly within the centre of a potential storm.

It took Fox's roaring out a protest to slice into the cocoon Dana had felt building. Her fiancée was struggling with one of Sharpe's men in an attempt to get closer to his traveling companions. He was snapping out his name and rank but earning absolutely no creditability with the rifleman. One of them seemed to be preparing to use Fox's own pistol on him if the Ranger didn't stop struggling. Two loyalties plucked at Dana. She decided to resolve the dilemma by diverting Gabrielle from the stalemated confrontation with her former lover.

"Gabrielle. They're going to hurt Fox." Dana squeezed the blonde's arm and pointed out the scuffle to Xena's rear. That done she raised her voice to protest the rifleman's threat. "Mr Harris! Don't!"

Gabrielle made a pacifying 'wait' sort of gesture with her open hand at Xena then set out to put a halt to Mulder's difficulty with Dana in tow. The Irish woman shivered at the intense burn of emotions boiling in the Partisan's pale eyes as Gabrielle turned away.

"Fox! Calm down." The bard's tone soothed. "Give Dana a moment to explain to them who you are." The blonde paced across to where Mulder was being restrained.

"Mr Harris, please, don't hurt him."

The Irish woman's arrival turned the suspicious frowns that Gabrielle was met with to welcoming smiles. "Miss Scully, what are you doing here, M'am?" Hagman asked.

"This is Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder." Dana rushed out the announcement. "There was a horrible mistake. That man who came out with you is a spy." She explained.

"I told you." Fox shoved impatiently at the slackened hands on his arms. "The spy is back there. Running away, no doubt."

When Mulder made a move as if to return to that section of the road Gabrielle caught at him, stopping the action. "Wait Fox. Some things need to be sorted out before you run off again."

"None of this matters." He said dismissively.

Still she kept a tight grip on him. "I must disagree, Lieutenant Colonel Mulder." Gabrielle wielded his title like a weapon. "These men, your men, have just captured a French patrol and the officer in charge of it. I think, Colonel, it would be best if you helped to sort this situation out before seeing to your personal concerns." Her tone was stiff.

"Fox, please." Dana seconded the request. "There's trouble between Xena and the men. Let's help settle one thing before beginning another."

"All right, damn it." Mulder extended his hand. "Give me my weapons back, Soldier." He demanded.

Dana caught Harris' eye and motioned her encouragement. "He really is Colonel Mulder. You've my every assurance." She attempted to look sincere.

With obvious reluctance the red-haired rifleman held out the pistol.

Fox grabbed it. "And my rifle too." He prompted.

"Beggin' your pardon, Miss Scully." Harris' tone was tentative. "But he's not dressed like any officer I've ever seen before. Surely you understand our reluctance, Miss... Sir." He inclined his head slightly at the angry newcomer. "I need to speak to the Major about all this."

"The spy stole my Rifle uniform and I couldn't very well travel discreetly in one of those bloody lobster jackets." Fox closed the distance and snatched his weapon. "Where's Major Sharpe then? The sooner this is straightened out the quicker I'll be on Krycek's trail." He grimaced. "And you two! Mind the French. Take them over with the rest of the prisoners."

Dana's fingers flexed as if she might reach out for Mulder but then her hand found Gabrielle's instead.

xx

The sensible thing to do, Aleksandr knew, would be to count his blessings and run like a rabbit. He wasn't a match for the people assembled in the clearing just below his vantage point. His allies were neutralized and the victors would happily blow his head off if he poked it above the brush line. Still, he lingered.

Damn it to hell. He wanted Navarre's money and the sanctuary that the Frenchman had offered. If there was a way to extract Etienne from the English without risking his own life then Aleksandr intended to discover it.

The first point in his favour was the obvious conflict among the temporary allies. Sharpe had fought with the woman who had to be the Warrior Princess. Some new arrival, who seemed to be in league with Mulder, had sparred with the Partisan as well. Fox was, true to Aleksandr's expectations, completely at odds with the riflemen already even though they'd just met. Perhaps between the conflicts and the pressure of dealing with captives a weakness would present itself.

The Russian settled in the most comfortable pose that the local camouflage would allow for and studied his targets. The primary threats had to be examined first. Mulder was at the top of the list. If the Canadian was hot-tempered enough to chase Aleksandr this far, he wasn't going to stop simply because of this muddle. Mulder had reclaimed his weapons and was on his way to convincing the riflemen of his identity in record time. Alek had hoped the lot of them would have dismissed Mulder's claims out of hand. The acceptance seemed to have a great deal to do with the two women that had appeared. The redhead spoke to Hagman and Harris and all was peaceable, if not perfect. Then there was the blonde who'd stood in Xena's path. The redhead might be Mulder's fiancée but Alek had no idea on the other's identity. Either way, by dragging a couple of females on his quest Fox was just inviting trouble.

Aleksandr's thoughts continued to simmer as the redhead ran to Major Sharpe and barely stopped short of throwing her arms around that bastard Harper. She seemed to be the one introducing the handsome Fox to the pair who ranked second on Alek's threat list. The scenario practically screamed 'Achilles' heel' into Aleksandr's ear.

He didn't miss the wary stare Xena had fastened on the blonde hovering by the side of the woman who was likely Dana Scully either. As a point of fact, the blonde's presence seemed to be the only thing distracting the Warrior Princess from her intent to kill Etienne.

Well, wasn't this just too simple for words. A plan leapt almost fully formed into Aleksandr's brain. The Russian wasn't fond of using women in his ploys or taking hostages but Fox was the one who had brought them into the conflict thus making them fair game.

xx

"We don't have the time or the men to take prisoners." Lieutenant Colonel Mulder responded to Harper's mention of the French soldiers before Sharpe had a chance to. Despite the fact he had reached the same conclusion, Richard resented that the unfamiliar officer was speaking first. That was assuming the strangely clad man was indeed their Lieutenant Colonel. Sharpe had no reason to doubt Dana Scully, but accepting a new commander on the word of a woman he barely knew made him uncomfortable.

"Kill 'em all." Xena's jaw was tight as she looked to Gabrielle for the bard's reaction.

Mulder said, "That would work." At the same time that protests raised all about.

Dana Scully and the blonde beside her seemed especially appalled at the possibility. "You don't kill someone simply because they're inconvenient." The Bard insisted.

"Gabrielle." Mulder began. "Don't start that argument up again."

Xena noticeably flinched at hearing the name.

"It's completely impractical to take them back to camp or keep them with us under guard." Fox explained. "If Krycek slips away from me now I'll never find him again. I can't afford to be burdened with a bunch of prisoners."

"We strip the soldiers of weapons and supplies then send them on their way." Richard interrupted before the debate went any further. "We take the officer back to Lord Wellington." He outlined policy.

"So they can re-arm themselves and attack us again next week? How absurd." Mulder shook his head and looked to Xena, expecting that she would understand his reasoning. "You must realise how foolish the idea of letting them go is, Princesa." He insisted. "I saw what you did to those French soldiers back at those farms. You understand how ruthless you have to be to fight ahead of the frontline in enemy territory. The display you put on was inspired, the way you used the bodies to send out your message... you've an excellent grasp of mental scare tactics."

For half a second Xena felt a twinge of pleasure at hearing her strategy complimented so sincerely, then she noticed Gabrielle's shudder of distaste and the way the blond looked down and away, grimacing. Sharpe was also staring at the partisan with a curious expression on his face, as if wondering exactly what Mulder was referring to.

The Canadian continued on. "Chopping off that Sergeants hands was... "

"Shut up." Xena cut him off with a hostile scowl. Gabrielle had to have seen what Xena had done. There was no other explanation for the look of revulsion that the warrior saw suddenly clouding her soulmate's expression.

Fox's mouth snapped shut, reminded of how the women had reacted to his earlier enthusiasm for the Princesa's display. Christ, he couldn't seem to say anything right lately. Mulder turned to Major Sharpe and dragged his comments back to the topic at hand. "What I was trying to point out is that back in the Canadas..."

"Pardon me, Sir." Sharpe cut in, using the courtesy title with a certain amount of disbelief. "But we ain't in the colonies. We're in Spain." He stated the obvious. "Now I don't know who you are, despite what Miss Dana says,so all things considered we'll be sticking to the way we do things here... Sir." The honorarium sounded even more like an afterthought the second time.

"He really is Lieutenant Colonel Mulder." Gabrielle offered without coming any closer. "I travelled with him and the supply caravan coming in to Wellington's camp."

"No offence, Lass." Sharpe spared the blonde woman a brief glance. "But I don't know you from a hole in the ground either so your word don't mean much to me."

Xena's snarl cut across the entire scene making everyone jump. "SHE DOESN'T LIE!"

The endorsement caused a flare of hope to spark up inside Gabrielle.

Sharpe responded with a slight frown to the Partisan's interference. Still, as long as the possible Colonel didn't make any decisions that Richard himself didn't approve of it couldn't hurt to play along with the idea. "So long as we stick to regular procedure, Colonel Sir, I don't see any reason for us to fight over command." The hard glitter in Sharpe's eyes suggested that any attempt the newcomer made to take complete control would be doomed to failure.

Some hostile emotion flitted across Mulder's face and it looked for a moment as if an argument would erupt but the darkness passed. "Sure. Fine. Whatever." Fox gestured vaguely with his hand. "I don't have the time to waste on trivialities."

"That French Major is mine." In the momentary break Xena re-asserted her claim.

"We're not talking about the Major." Sharpe snapped back. "We're talking about the soldiers. Pat, see to confiscating their gear then send them packing."

"Yes, Sir." Harper overdid his sense of obedience to his Major, playing it up for the audience.

"Are we done here?" Mulder's attention had wandered down the road again. "Because I've more important work to do."

"Fox." Dana touched his arm. "You've obligations." She might have said anything to keep him from haring off again but her choice was the worst possible one.

"Obligations." He repeated the word as if it were a curse.

"Perhaps we should take this somewhere else?" Gabrielle suggested. Her hand gestured, indicating the soldiers that Patrick was preparing to release. "Somewhere more secure so we can discuss our problems and come to some kind of understanding." The Bard looked around for assent, choosing to meet Xena's gaze last. The force of the Warrior's stare was enough to set her soul vibrating like a plucked string on a lyre. It rattled her to the very core. {We need to talk, Xena. I promise. We will talk.} She proclaimed.

{Damned straight.} The two words ground out between gritted teeth. The ancient language felt strange after all this time but it seemed the only appropriate way to address Gabrielle.

"Sorry, Sir." Hagman paced over and presented himself to the Major. "We did a quick run back to collect the animals and such-like. There's no sign of the Lieutenant Colonel or where he might have got to. Not a first glance. The ground is too messed up."

"I'M COLONEL MULDER!" The Canadian snapped yet again, his frustration boiling over. "Do you men not have one brain between you?" Mulder's tone dropped to a gritty complaint and glaring down at his feet he rumbled almost to himself. "That bastard was nothing but a spy, a liar and dirty whore." Fox looked up to glare fiercely about the gathering. His voice rose to a more normal tone. "I AM Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder." He repeated precisely. "Stop calling that damned spy by my name."

Dana, who had flinched away from the original roar, backed away from Fox and into the protection of Major Sharpe's frame. Gabrielle's head snapped around and she stared, eyes impossibly wide at their travelling companion as the last piece of the puzzle finally dropped into place for her with his choice of muted insults. It made perfect sense all of a sudden. Fox's use of the spy's first name, a few completely inappropriate comments, the almost insane zeal with which Mulder was pursuing his quarry. In some way or manner Fox must have had a liaison with the spy. The bard shot a quick glance Dana's way, wondering if the redhead had caught the quiet complaint, and with it, the implication behind Fox's choice of accusations. It was hard to tell. Dana looked startled but not appalled. Perhaps she still hadn't made the connection between all the hints Mulder had given away over the last few days.

"Fox." Gabrielle moved forward to seize Mulder's arm and drag him a few steps away from the surrounding audience. Her voice dropped to the barest whisper that would reach his ear. "Unless you want to deal with the consequences of what you calling Alex a 'whore' involves... " The bard used both the spy's name and the word Fox had employed to get her point across. "I'd suggest you calm down, start thinking like an officer, and give me a hand straightening out this mess before you chase after your previous indiscretion and try to silence him." During the days she'd spent in his company Gabrielle had seen Mulder run through a wide range of emotions and attitudes but this had to be the first time she'd seen him look honestly frightened.

His voice was a horrified hiss. "You don't understand." Fox didn't even try to free himself from her grasp. "Son of a... You can't tell anyone, Gabrielle. You wouldn't." He searched her expression for confirmation of his desperate hope. "You don't understand what it would mean." Mulder repeated with a darting glance in the direction of Major Sharpe and his fiancée.

"Just... " She released his arm. "Just get a hold of yourself and let's get this muddle sorted out. I need to concentrate on Xena. You have to deal with the soldiers, Dana and see about keeping yourself in control. I do not want a bloodbath here. I refuse to accept that. YOU are going to see it doesn't happen." Gabrielle realized that sounded a bit like blackmail but she was running out of patience.

Mulder drew in a breath, his body straightening out as he did so. A completely calm mask dropped down over his expression and he turned back to the others. The voice that boomed out simply dripped with the expectation that he would be obeyed without question. "Policy being what it is. Release the common soldiers. Gather up what is practical of the supplies for our own use. See to it that the French Major is placed under guard." Fox dictated. "Senorita Xena, your claims will be addressed once the practicalities of the day are taken care of. You have my every assurance."

The British riflemen perked up, responding to the familiar tone of command but every single one of them looked to Major Sharpe for confirmation of the orders. With a barely smothered smirk Richard nodded his head signalling to the men that they should comply.

xx

Gabrielle: "You put people on a pedestal, sooner or later they're going to fall and your expectations fall with them."

The place they chose to set up a temporary camp wasn't too far from the ambush point but it seemed distant enough that they wouldn't be bothered. An inventory of the things they had taken in the attack was in order and some kind of agreement had to be reached regarding the French Major before they could move forward.

In a compromise to Xena's wishes, the Frenchman's wrists were bound and he was under guard despite having offered his parole to Sharpe. Right at this moment, the man sat on the ground in the centre of all their activity. Only the most cursory questions had been asked of the Frenchman because Xena, Mulder, and on Sharpe's behalf, Harris, would all need to be in attendance for the interrogation. For the present time a perimeter, a meal and some discussions amongst themselves seemed to be taking precedence. Dana was explaining how it was that she, Gabrielle and Mulder came upon Sharpe's small company. Mulder was supplying whatever assurances he could come up with to prove his claim of identity and shooting loaded glances towards where the blonde bard had removed herself to speak to Xena in private.

In all the years of her life and afterlife, few situations had left Gabrielle speechless. Words were a tool she wielded with comfort and ease. However right at this moment, the Bard was having a difficult time choosing where to begin. Xena wasn't offering much encouragement either. The warrior was offering up an expression so cold it could have been a mask. It was hard to pierce that disguise. Gabrielle may have been living inside of Xena's head for two thousand years but she was out of practice at deciphering her beloved's expression.

"I know it's been so long." The blonde began. "And I'm the last person you ever expected to see again."

Xena's dark brows were drawn together. "How?" She demanded curtly. "If it's really you, how?" the tall woman used the ancient Greek tongue they had once shared, thereby insisting on even more proof of Gabrielle's identity.

"I'd asked for release before." Gabrielle explained. "So many times I'd lost count of my requests and who I'd made them to. Hades. Artemis. All the old Gods, then eventually the newer ones."

Xena leaned back against a tree, distain and disbelief still stamped on her expression.

The bard sympathised. The cruelty of making the immortal walk the earth for two millennia alone was enough to crush anyone's spirit. She should have been prepared for anger, resentment and denial from her lover. It was a natural response but her excitement over the reunion had subsumed more practical thoughts.

One hand flicked from within tightly crossed arms prompting the blonde to continue.

"I had no allies left, only the shadows of souls that were connected to me. Most of their core essences had moved on with other lifetimes. The Gods we knew are little more than token entities anymore." Gabrielle tried to explain. "Still, when I realised how badly you needed me at your side I went to them all again. I cornered every power you and I have ever brushed against and pleaded our case. I protested that separating soulmates for so long was unreasonably evil. I petitioned anyone who seemed the least bit sympathetic to our plight. I sought out beings the like of which I'd never imagined when I was still alive and pleaded my case." Green eyes searched for some sign that her words were having an impact.

Xena's frown was cut into her face just as strongly as ever.

"I took each one of their blessings and... " Gabrielle drew in a hitching breath. "I stacked and moulded their blessings, forming a sword of power." Even thinking of the spiritual weapon she had briefly held in her hands sent a warming pulse through her. "Each time I found another entity willing to add their approval to my quest, I would slice at the sky." Condensing the internal journey into a comprehensible timeline was nearly impossible. "The last was a guardian Angel with an incredibly sad face and huge, dark eyes." Of course there was more to the telling of that particular encounter, but now wasn't the time for it. "The Angel, she offered me such a torrent of force that I thought the flow would burn my fingers away. That's what it took. The power I gathered finally peaked." The bard's voice took on a bold reverence. "It was like cutting a slice in the fabric of the universe. The sword dissolved and there was a shimmering tear that I could just barely squeeze though." The let down that always came at the end of a fine tale hit Gabrielle. "I found myself in Greece. As soon as I could I saw about making my way here. That trip took much of the time between your call and my arrival."

Xena's pale eyes blinked. She still didn't speak.

"Silence isn't helping, Beloved." Gabrielle attempted to coax Xena into revealing some emotion. "I know you've been alone a long time. Too long, far too long." The blonde missed the intimacy of the binding between them sharply. What wouldn't she give to hear her beloved's mind voice at this moment?

"Two thousand years." The warrior finally whispered out a response.

"I know." Gabrielle acknowledged. "I shared your every thought, Beloved. I know how hard it was."

A shout would have hurt less than the hiss that erupted from Xena's lips. "Then why did you wait so long? How could you?" Belief was no longer an issue and that left the warrior to deal with an anger so hot it felt as if the blood were boiling inside her veins. "I needed you." Xena's admission was closer to an accusation.

"I came as soon as I could."

"Not soon enough." She lashed out both emotionally and physically, slamming her hand against a limb of the tree with enough force to crack it. Anger, pain, guilt, shame and nearly every darker emotion Xena knew of brewed themselves up into a maelstrom inside of her. If she'd even suspected that her beloved would be returning to her side the warrior would have done so many things differently over the last few days, few years, even over the centuries. Gabrielle knew, she had to know, every single horrible thing Xena had done during their separation. The warrior had never expected to have to face those clear green eyes again and be forced to acknowledge her past actions in the face of Gabrielle's comparative purity. It wasn't just the matter of her transgressions of the last few months either but of every act she had committed over their entire time apart. Xena had raged against the division but this reunion was uniquely painful in it's own way.

Gabrielle closed the distance between them and attempted to place her palm against the taller woman's arm. It tore her heart that Xena flinched away from the contact. "But without the justification of how much time we'd been parted I would never have earned enough sympathy from the powers to come back to you." Gabrielle insisted. "I tried so may times before. I was willing to accept existence as only a spirit. I pleaded for rebirth and was told my tie to you prevented it. How absurd! At times when I heard you wishing for death, I begged that it would be allowed so we could be reunited and finally continue on together. I would have taken any option but none were allowed."

Xena's mouth was a thin slash across her lovely face.

"Don't you think I would have come sooner if it were possible?" The bard was on the edge of tears.

"I don't know anymore!" The admission was a low growl. "I don't know anything anymore." Xena's eyes closed against the thoughts of what her activities had done to the other woman. Gods, one of the last things Gabrielle must have seen through her eyes were the images of death and destruction that the warrior had used to entice herself back into movement when the French had hacked her apart months ago. The guilt that Xena would have to recognize and contend with now that she faced her other half was monumental. Denying her conscience when it spoke in Gabrielle's voice was one thing, attempting to smother those same inconvenient scruples when her beloved stood right in front of her was impossible. Xena simply couldn't afford to feel this kind of regret, not now. Small mercy the communion between them hadn't been in effect last night when she'd used the beloved husband of an old friend as a convenience and bound him to her side by way of sex as a tool. Xena blinked once and her face settled into the hard lines that she used to deny any emotion whatsoever and backed away.

The action pushed Gabrielle over the line. The blonde collapsed down into a huddled crouch. Her face dropped into the shield of her cupped hands as she considered the possibility that her soul mate was denying her after all.

It could have been that the display might have cut through Xena's bleak mind-set but fate and Dana Katherine Scully decided to intervene. The Irish woman broke away from the gathering of men to cross the distance and turn herself into a human shield. Dana aimed a burning blue glare up at the warrior Princess as she knelt down and wrapped her arms about Gabrielle's shoulders.

Xena's frame stiffened. So Gabrielle had a protector. The girl wasn't very imposing but she was an ardent defender. The immortal couldn't fault the newcomer for attempting to protect Gabrielle but she could resent the intrusion. Her face turned away from the two with an expression so cold and unfeeling it could have been carved from ice. The men arguing on the other side of the clearing drew the warrior's attention. Without another word to the kneeling woman Xena stalked over to add her voice to the discussion over what to do with the French Major.

Dana murmured a few soothing nothings and encouraged Gabrielle back to her feet. "Come on." A bit of distance from the men would be just the thing.

On the opposite side of the tentative camp, Hagman noticed their departure with a frown. A few steps brought him close enough to tap Harper and point out what was happening.

"I'll see to watching over them." Patrick was grateful enough for this distraction. A bilingual argument was erupting as this new Colonel Mulder attempted to question the prisoner and Harris translated for Major Sharpe. The fact that Xena had jumped in with a curt sounding accusation in French only enlarged the headache Harper could feel coming on. "Mind the Major's back while I'm gone."

"Aye Sergeant." Hagman touched his forehead briefly as the other man turned away.

xx

Mulder: I never expected this. I thought I was protecting you.

"That's not the response you expected." Dana stated as the two women gained some distance between themselves and the makeshift camp.

"I should have." Gabrielle's voice was pitched to carry no further than her companion. She had noticed that one of the British soldiers was shadowing them. It was a sensible precaution she supposed. "I should have come sooner. How could I have been so... ?" The sentence trailed away. "She must think I'm cruel. That I only respond to bad behaviour. That it took this kind of trouble to get my attention."

They had drifted far enough, well past earshot of the company. Dana halted, catching at the other's arm to keep her wandering further. "I don't completely understand. You can't have been apart that very long. Why is this so big a problem?"

Gabrielle's mouth quirked in a semblance of a smile but the sadness in her eyes refuted any real pleasure. "You can't understand, Dana. Not completely." Perhaps the Irish woman could be told the real situation but this wasn't the proper time for the story. "But in it's simplest terms; I returned too late and for the wrong reasons. I fear that Xena's thinking I didn't come for the love of her but rather to scold and punish her."

Dana pondered the situation a moment. "Sort of like when a Mother only pays attention to a child because he's being naughty." She paralleled. "When what he really wanted was praise and affection the rest of the time. I can understand that."

Gabrielle's green eyes closed wearily and she sank down to sit on her heels. Fingers ran back over her scalp, threading into her hair.

"You should have slept last night." Dana lowered herself so she could drape an arm over her companion's shoulders. "It's harder to think straight when you're tired." She observed.

A dry chuckle grated out of the Bard's throat. "I had enough rest for thirty lifetimes while Xena and I were parted. The loss of one night's sleep shouldn't weigh on me, Dana."

"You and Fox." The redhead sounded indulgently put upon. "You both seem to think you're something more than human." Her hand petted absently. "Rest a bit. Give Xena a little while to calm down after all that excitement then try again to talk to her. I somehow doubt you'd give your heart to someone who would fail to appreciate the value of what you've given her."

Gabrielle's face turned down and she examined the ground between her feet with more interest than it could possibly deserve. "It always comes back to time." Her mind turned the encounter with Xena over yet again, trying to pick it apart. She was missing something. She had to be. The Bard frowned and began replaying the meeting one word at a time inside her mind looking for a clue to the problem.

Dana's hand stroked over pale hair as she watched Gabrielle's brow crease in deep thought. The pair of them dropped down to the scrubby ground, neither seeming to care about the sticks and pebbles that lay uncomfortably under them. The Irish woman laid an absent kiss on the crown of her companion's head. A smallpart of Dana's mind, a part she was extremely ashamed of, was revelling in the warmth of the body pressed against her rather than concentrating on Gabrielle's distress. This might be the very last time they would ever be so close. Xena and Gabrielle would work out their differences, Dana was convinced of it, and she herself would be returning to Wellington's camp to marry Fox. Dana wanted to etch this interlude into her heart for the future stretching out before her.

They sat, preoccupied and still, long enough for the shadows about them to shift slightly. About them the wafting wind and a faint twitter of birds drowned out the distant sounds of argument from the campsite. Closer, Patrick Harper occasionally shuffled in place but made little noise. The small huffing exhale the Sergeant let out at one point didn't seem unusual at the time.

It wasn't until someone's tread disturbed the bracken and intruded on their privacy that Dana raised her face from Gabrielle's thick hair. Her squeak of shock came just a second too late as a heavy branch arched around and clubbed into the side of the Bard's head before Gabrielle could untangle herself from Dana's embrace.

"Scream... " Aleksandr dropped his makeshift staff and palmed a dagger that glittered in the dappled light. "Scream and I'll see to it that you and your friend are both dead before any help arrives."

Dana stared up at the man looming over them, trying to understand the conflict of someone in British Rifle green hurting Gabrielle and threatening her. She shot a hopeful glance in the direction that Sergeant Harper had been then cursed herself for being so transparent.

"Your thick-headed Paddy protector is resting peacefully." A vicious smirk hooked his lips up. He squatted briefly to press his fingers to Gabrielle's throat. "She's alive. If you want her to stay that way, you'll do as I tell you." Standing once more he warned. "The nearest help is over a minute away and I only need ten seconds to deal with the pair of you. Now get up, stand with your arms out and don't make a sound."

Dana climbed unsteadily to her feet and took up the position Gabrielle's attacker had described. He slid cautiously up and, keeping his knife at the ready, began running his free hand over Dana. First her arms, then her body were subjected to an intrusive search. When he knelt and began feeling around and up the inside of her legs the Redhead pulled in a breath to protest. The tip of his knife resting against her ribs caused her to puff the air out silently. Only after his palm had mauled over her entire frame did he stand once more. Still not satisfied his fingers threaded into her matted curls searching for anything hidden there.

"I left my pistol back with the men." Dana whispered. "That's the only weapon I had."

"Stupid." He muttered almost absently. "How could Fox be so stupid as to tote along a bit of fluff like you while he chased me?"

"You're the spy."

The deduction made Aleksandr actually look into the woman's eyes for the first time since beginning his body search. "Alex. My name is Alex... and you're Dana." He copied the leap of logic. "I've been reading about you, Mam'selle. You've quite the unrealistic vision of what life with our temperamental Fox is going to be like."

Dana couldn't hide her shock at the other's choice of words.

The surprised look on the young woman's face made Alek chuckle to himself. He stepped back and looked Dana up and down, shaking his head. His gaze moved slightly to take in Gabrielle's prone form while still watching his first target. "She's safely out of action for a while." A frown pressed his lips into a hard line. Pausing only a brief moment to consider Aleksandr bent and scooped Gabrielle's limp form up in one arm. "Let's go see your paddy bastard." After taking one step and realising that Dana wasn't following Alek's dagger slanted to catch the light. "It would be so easy to slide this under her skin. She's not in any position to protect herself, Dana. It's all up to you whether she lives or dies." He played the tip of the knife over Gabrielle's exposed throat. "Come on."

"I need to check Gabrielle. You shouldn't haul her around like that. It's dangerous. You might damage her spine. You might have cracked her skull."

"Give me trouble and I'll slit her throat to finish the job." Aleksandr inclined his head, pointing towards where Patrick had been standing watch. "Move. Quietly." He reminded the Irish woman, resting his knife against Gabrielle's neck to re-enforce his statement.

Harper was slumped against a small tree. His arms had been tied behind him and around the tree with a long ragged scrap of cloth. Another band of material was shoved into Patrick's mouth and fastened, gagging the Sergeant. His head lolled bonelessly.

Alek dumped Gabrielle to the forest floor then snagged Dana's arm. She was pulled down with him as he squatted down beside the unconscious man. Dana was twisted in place and shoved onto her rump. She couldn't help but struggle a bit as her back was forced against the rough bark. When her captor reached over she finally noticed the small pile of fabric strips lying on the ground. Dana's wrists were caught and in a few simple movements the spy had her bound tight to the same tree as Patrick.

"There. That's better." He smiled briefly. "I'd like to believe you won't scream but... Open up, Dana." Alek picked up one of the shorter strips.

Her jaw went hard briefly then she recalled the situation and forced herself to comply. To his credit he was gentler than Dana had expected him to be. Once he was satisfied with the security of Dana's bindings the last few strips of cloth were put to use binding Gabrielle's arms behind her back from her wrists to her elbows.

Scrubbing his sleeve once across his upper lip, Aleksandr nodded and turned back to his tree anchored captives. He showed quite another side of his personality entirely when the time came to deal with Patrick. Dana could see the malice shining in the spy's eyes as he turned to the Sergeant. Aleksandr indulged himself in a full-armed, open-handed slap across Harper's face. The woman beside them winced as two more were delivered quickly on the heels of the first. Patrick's eyes cracked open a bit after the third hard blow.

"Dobroe utro, khueplet." Aleksandr's smile was absolutely brilliant. "I can't stay long. The pretty blonde and I have to put a little distance between us and the boys... but I need you to give Richard and Fox a message for me." Green eyes sparkled. "Tell their lovelinesses and La Princesa that I will trade this one... " His thumb hooked, indicating Gabrielle. "... for the French Major, alive and unharmed, and all three of the horses... Mulder's and both of La Princesa's mounts." He smiled. "I've no desire to be chased down and killed before we've a chance to leave the area."

Some absolutely vile curse, muffled by the makeshift gag, snarled out of Harper. The Russian responded by slamming his hand across the other man's face yet again. Dana whimpered behind her gag and her eyes widened. He hadn't said anything about taking Gabrielle before.

"The place the French were camped at when I first found them. Major Navarre will know where I mean." Aleksandr elaborated. "Richard makes the trade when I show up with the woman. I want every single one of you there tomorrow at noon. Your lot better be standing all accounted for and quiet on the far south side of the clearing... Mulder and the Princesa too, right out in front where I can keep an eye on them... or I will vanish and you'll find nothing but the woman's dead body." With a nervous glance in the direction of the encampment Aleksandr rose to his feet, stepped over to Gabrielle and gathered her up over his shoulder. "Das vidaniya." He whispered before fading into the surrounding bracken with his captive.

xx

Sharpe: You fight dirty, Harper.
Harper: So do you, Sir.

{You fail to grasp the situation.} The French Major protested in Mulder's direction. His expression was frustrated as he attempted to follow three different lines of questions and accusations. {Mister Krycek has nothing of value and is only attempting to remove himself from the conflict. Left alone he will not report in or return to his commanding officer. Pursuing him gains you nothing. As a point of fact it may even force him to return to his superior.}

Fox sneered. His head tipped to one side and his eyes narrowed as he studied the prisoner with more suspicion than before.

"Forget the spy. He's inconsequential." Xena interrupted. {You are a butcher, Major.} She accused. {Nothing you could tell us or do is going to stop me from avenging the death and destruction you left behind you.}

Navarre almost opened his mouth to protest that he hadn't been responsible but something told him that defence would only enrage the Partisan even further. {My men... the Sergeant... } Etienne sought for the right way to explain. {I must accept responsibility for what occurred but for what it's worth. I never condoned the atrocities committed by Sergeant Malais.}

{It's worth nothing!} Xena snarled immediately.

Harris was attempting to translate the rapid-fire exchange as quickly as possible for Major Sharpe without transgressing on what was being said.

"He's admitting to WHAT?" Richard demanded. "What crimes is the man admitting to? Wellington will want particulars."

"The dead are gone." Mulder complained. "There's no urgency to dealing with this matter. The spy is alive and moving." He turned back to Navarre. {You must tell me Krycek's intensions, Major. Perhaps the disclosure might earn you mercy.}

Xena moved until she was invading Mulder's breathing space. "I will allow no 'MERCY'. This monster is responsible for the slaughter of defenceless farmers, unarmed women and children. There is no hell black enough to punish the like of him." The warrior professed. "He deserves no better than to have crows pluck out his eyes while his body lies writhing in agony. No mercy. No matter what secrets his lying tongue attempts."

Mulder refused to meet her challenge. His attention stayed fixed on the prisoner and he shifted to avoid Xena. {Did Krycek tell you where he was going? Whom does he report to?} Fox persisted in his line of questioning.

Navarre looked up at each of his captor in turn. There was nothing he could say that would please three such different people equally. Etienne had no intention of turning on Aleksandr to gain the dubious mercy that the man in leather was offering. The Partisan woman wanted little beyond his death. It was a small consolation that Major Sharpe was acting the part of a normal English officer. It was Major Sharpe that Etienne was going to have to rely on for the voice of sanity. {I have nothing to say. I will present my case to Lord Wellington.}

"You son of a... " Xena's arm shot out and her hand wrapped around the front of the Frenchman's throat. "I should kill you now."

"Don't Xena." Sharpe pulled his rifle forward and casually aimed toward his lover of the night before. "I took his parole. I will honour it."

She glared frostily at Richard. It appeared that he had finally regained his composure after the loops she'd knocked him through. Xena couldn't help but feel a flicker of appreciation that Sharpe was standing up to her but she didn't dare let her approval show. Her fingers released slowly, one at a time, pushing the limit. {It would be too quick. I want you to have time to think on your crimes as you die.} She informed Navarre. Her arms crossed and she scowled down at the man sitting in the dirt. Gabrielle wasn't going to like what Xena had to do with this Major but the situation had been set in motion before her soulmate's arrival. Damn! Her thoughts insisted on wandering again. It was intolerable! The Warrior couldn't back down from the vows she had sworn over the shattered bodies of the last little while. Focus was required here. There were a lot of things Xena would have to face up to before she and Gabrielle could even attempt to rebuild what they'd once shared. If she thought about all that lay before her it would petrify her. The immortal's concentration couldn't stand this kind of branching complication. The best Xena could do would be to finish the task she'd started here then see about mending the damage time and different paths had done to her relationship with Gabrielle.

{Major.} Fox sank down to rest on his heels. {I am Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder. That man, Krycek, he doesn't deserve your protection.} Serious hazel eyes caught and held Navarre's gaze attempting to suggest some sort of sympathy. {You are a soldier, an officer. Surely you can't want a common thief and a murderer escaping all responsibility for his actions simply because he sells information. A man like Krycek, his loyalty is to the highest bidder and perhaps your Emperor won't be the highest bidder next time.} Fox reasoned.

{You... } Major Navarre responded in a soft voice. {... know nothing about Aleksandr or his motivations. I will not betray his intentions.} Etienne vowed earnestly.

Fox's head tilted and his brows raised slightly. {'He' would betray 'you' in a heartbeat.} Mulder leaned in to whisper, disregarding the disapproval the action stirred up around them. {Everything he told you is a lie.}

{He may have lied to you, Colonel Mulder.} Navarre speculated, pinning down the other's emotional tone and trying to recall what Aleksandr had said about the man whose jacket he had taken. {But it wasn't that way with me.}

Mulder's lips pressed together firmly, giving the impression of a child pouting. A question was obvious in Fox's eyes but he didn't dare ask it in front of everyone. The world around them may have muted but it hadn't disappeared.

Etienne felt no such constraints. {If Aleksandr behaved badly in your company, Colonel, perhaps it was because you weren't worth the effort of anything more.} The statement was steeped in hidden innuendo.

Mulder's fist was up and smashing into the captive's face before the smug gleam he though he saw could expand from Navarre's eyes to his mouth.

"Bloody Hell!" Sharpe threw himself forward to topple Mulder and prevent another strike against their bound prisoner. "What the crud do you think you're at?"

The Canadian shoved Richard off and he scrambled backward, his chest heaving. It looked as if he might spout off but Fox's throat worked and swallowed whatever curses he was about to spew. Mulder purposefully ran his gaze over each of the people and the surrounding area. When he looked back to Sharpe, his composure had firmed up once more. "If you chose not to acknowledge my identity and rank, fine. If you chose not to listen to any orders I give, it doesn't matter." He stated in a resonating monotone. "I am finished here. As soon as I take my leave of Dana and Gabrielle I intend to track the spy down. I would appreciate it if your men would see to it that my fiancée is returned to the safety of Lord Wellington's base camp. I will return after I tend to Krycek and face whatever consequences my actions rate." Kicking up a small spray of rubble, Mulder turned on his heel and stalked off in the direction he had seen the women take.

xx

jimcarla@hotmail.com

To be continued...

Hopefully with a shorter interval involved than the last pause, Sorry.

La Princesa Guerrera
Chapter X
By Carla Jane and Jim jimcarla@hotmail.com
May 2000
THE FULL DISCLAIMER LIST IS AT THE BEGINNING OF CHAPTER I. Perhaps you should go and check out all the warnings if you're a sensitive reader Ownership: The characters from Xena: Warrior Princess, the X-files and Sharpe are not and never will be ours. No profit made. No harm intended. Violence, language and sexual content: Hey, this chapter is only PG rated. Neat. The story, as a whole however, contains f/f, f/m, and m/m sexual relationships. Ummm... now would be a good time to remind y'all that we started this story and plotted it out just as the India arch began, so we didn't allow for that plotline and all that followed on Xena so please excuse us for divergences that arose from the conflict. Thanks.
Oh look... we didn't lose our beta-reader during the lull in performance. Thanks ever so mousehounde for tolerating my neglectful behaviour.
Feel free to curse at the bards (well, CJ's the problem actually) about taking so bloody long. Trust me it works. That's why I started up again. jimcarla@hotmail.com
Or come visit our homepage at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/carla.patterson/homepage.html
Yeah, yeah... I know this one took a while but I'm back on the horse.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]