Go to notes and disclaimers

Cover by Carla Jane


La Princesa Guerrera
by Carla Jane and Jim



Spain, Spring 1813

Here's forty shillings on the drum
For those who'll volunteer to come
To 'list and fight the foe today.
Over the hills and far away.
(Chorus)
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.
When duty calls me I must go
To stand and face another foe.
But part of me will always stray
Over the hills and far away.
If I should fall to rise no more,
As many comrades did before,
Then ask the fifes and drums to play.
Over the hills and far away.
Then fall in lads behind the drum,
With colours blazing like the sun.
Along the road to come-what may.
Over the hills and far away.

XENA (to Gabrielle): "When you think of them, the dead can hear your thoughts."

She had forced her body as far as the pain and blood loss would allow. The bodies of her comrades would draw looters as surely as water drew animals in the desert. The last thing she needed right now was to have to defend herself against bandits. Immortality guaranteed she would live through the savaging those French bastards had inflicted on her but it still hurt, damn it, and it would for a long while.

A small hollow in the rocky hillside was the best shelter as she could expect on such short notice. She collapsed into the rubble, wincing at the new bruises her graceless action provoked. "How can I call myself a warrior... to let this happen?"

She knew that cleaning and binding would help speed the healing her immortal body was capable of but she had neither the energy nor the willpower to bother right now.

"ALL DEAD!" Her mind screamed what she didn't dare wail aloud for fear of attracting predators. "They were my friends." Centuries of constantly speaking to her long dead, ever-present beloved had honed the clarity of her mental voice. "Gods, but I'm tired of trying to fight fair. I'm tired of watching everyone I dare to care about die." Her head lolled back. She tried to study the clear blue of the sky, find her centre, wait for the enchanted ambrosia in her body to begin the healing... but it wouldn't work. Right now what she really wanted to do was hack a swath of savage destruction through the French army with her sword. Although it was her own, the taste of blood was sharply tempting on her tongue.

"They have no right to be here." She justified to her unspeaking conscience. "Why should I restrain myself while they massacre my companions. They drove us from our homes." The blaze of fire consuming the innards of the small house she had been staying in with friends was bright in the back of her mind. Della's youngest children had whimpered so quietly as they watched the only home they had ever known go up in flame. Not so long after that she and Della had dug far too many tiny graves.

"Oh my love. We saw backwoods warlords and barbarians that left less ruin in their paths than these modern soldiers."

She slipped a hand across the wide, ragged tear across the belly of her shirt. Easing sliced skin back into place sent a lance of pain through her abdomen. Further inspection of her now crimson shirt showed a hole near her left shoulder. That explained why her arm had refused to move properly. When the worst of her gut wound healed she would have to use her belt knife to dig out the thrice-damned musket ball. "May the inventor of gunpowder rot in the deepest bowels of Tartarus." She hated guns and artillery with a passion. "It's gotten so easy to kill, beloved. Even untrained children can manage destruction with such simple tools in their hands." She struggled out of her sword harness but kept it close. It was the only possession she had managed to keep when she fled the scene of the battle. "At my worst I wasn't half as bad as these butchers." Plans for revenge were already forming at the edges of her monologue. "They deserve it." Cutting away her sodden shirt was more practical than taking it off. "I could show them what real fear is... how a real warrior deals with cowardly animals."

A snarl escaped as she peeled the fabric away from her wounds.

"I know you think there's other ways, beloved, but they've pushed me into a corner. It's so hard to stay civilised when... " A stream of verbal curses interrupted the internal stream of thought.

It was quite probably her imagination but the sky seemed to have turned a bloody red over the last hour.

"I know you'll disapprove, beloved, but times have changed and the people of this land... "

A more recent face washed across her rambling mind, momentarily pushing her ancient lover to the sidelines. Teresa's fierce grin was always a sight to behold. The Spanish woman had been such a vibrant soul and an apt pupil. "If only I had taught Teresa more she might not be buried in the cold ground right now. I shouldn't have held back, beloved. This is war, not a skirmish with bandits." Another shudder of pain wracked the tall frame. "I wish I'd died with you." It wasn't the first time, or even the one hundredth, that though had surfaced. "I miss you so much, Gabrielle."

xx

XENA: "I don't accept defeat. There are always choices."

Too far away to answer or touch, Gabrielle dropped down into the sweet grass. The threat of wanton violence and desolation in her distant lover's mindvoice caused an ache stronger than the belly wound she was sensing through their connection.

Gabrielle closed her eyes to the peace of her afterlife and concentrated on their inner bond. It wasn't hard to hear only her lover. Any people who might have reason to think of Gabrielle were in their own version of eternity long ago. Only Xena's thoughts pervaded her mind anymore.

She gave a sympathetic wince as her lover explored the scope of the injuries the French soldiers had caused but Gabrielle saved her real concern for the bloodthirsty designs whirling in her warrior's mind.

"Oh Xena." The bard whispered. "You've done so well for so long." Gabrielle wanted to roundly curse whatever mystic force it was that allowed her to hear Xena's thoughts but denied them the reverse. A soul bond shouldn't be simply one way. That was the most monstrous cruelty to the living half of the pair.

The shadow of wanton violence on the former warlord's soul hadn't grown this intense since the Crusades and, as fate would have it, most of Xena's earthly support had died over the last year. All that remained were casual associates who were more like to avidly feed the woman's bloodlust rather than try to curb it. Today's ambush had consumed Migeal. He was a bright-eyed teen Gabrielle had learned to love second hand through Xena's eyes and thoughts. He was the last surviving member of the family she had been boarding with, on and off, for ten years.

"... they've pushed me into a corner." Xena's voice came clear.

Gabrielle wrapped her fingers in the long, warm grass by her knees. "No, my love! You're stronger than this." Sometimes she imagined some phantom of her encouragement reached her lover, but not today. The spiral of anger and the justifications for violence continued unabated.

"I know you'll disapprove... "

"Then don't do it." Gabrielle whispered. "You'll just hate yourself for it." The Bard shook her head at the vision of Teresa, another cherished comrade fallen to the tide of war. Sometimes Gabrielle mixed up her life with her soulmate's. Her own was so placid that Xena's existence tended to trample over top of it.

"... this is war."

"That's no excuse." Gabrielle's eyes were starting to sting with tears. She dreaded where this line of though was leading. "It wasn't justification enough then and it isn't enough now either."

"I wish I'd died with you."

Distant memories of wracking pain spasmed Gabrielle's arms and legs. Not that, not now. The dead Bard slammed that remembrance back into the deepest part of her brain.

"I miss you so much, Gabrielle." Then, weakly tacked on. "I need you."

"I'm coming." Gabrielle forced herself to muffle the sensation of Xena's self-doctoring. Gabrielle opened her green eyes and pulled herself upright, focusing on where she knelt. There had to be a way across the divide between life and death, a way to respond to Xena's failing self-control. That Xena's thoughts could travel to Gabrielle was proof there was some kind of passageway between the worlds.

The Warlord in Xena's soul was seeping too close to the surface. Gabrielle needed to reach her lover before it was too late.

xx

GABRIELLE : "Most people think of death as the end, when in fact, death can be the beginning."

The earth refused to remain still before her eyes. Delirium, Xena decided, her wounds were causing a fever. She needed water, medicine, clean bandages, better shelter and eventually... food. Otherwise her body might rot around her, unable to die and taking months upon months to heal. Unfortunately, acquiring all of those things would require that she drag herself across the heaving landscape.

Xena didn't dare go to any of the nearby towns. The state her body was in right now would have the locals measuring her for a shroud rather than attempting treatment. Food and supplies were too precious due to the voracious appetites of the two nearby armies. The townsfolk would hesitate to waste anything on a stranger who looked to be dying soon anyway. That was assuming they didn't simply turn her over to the French for fear of reprisals over harbouring an obviously active member of the Spanish resistance.

Of course her own provisions had gone to her band's destroyers and the nearest of her many caches of money and gear was three days ride from here.

Xena's head flopped to one side, thumping against the side of the narrow crevasse that she lay in. "Dying has to be easier than having to wait for my damned body to heal itself up with no medicine or aid, beloved." She mused. "It would be over more quickly anyway."

Somewhere in the far distance Xena heard the thunder of horses galloping. "They've got Hazard, beloved. I'm going to miss that horse." It had been a hot, dusty day, much like this one, when Xena had acquired Hazard. She remembered her mouth had tasted of sand and she was looking for a vendor who sold ale. Her mind drifted in dislocated fits and starts. "This damned country never has decent ale on hand, beloved. I should have gone back to Germany years ago. I'm sick of the taste of wine and dust. I just got tired of all the stares my size and colouring drew." Yes, she definitely fit in better here in Spain. "I even passed for a Moreno cousin a few times, what a joke. The one time I had to call the old man 'Uncle Cesar' I broke out laughing."

Oh yes, that's what she been thinking of. Teresa had been the one who had chosen the two smoke-coloured mares from a long string of animals. The Spanish woman had puffed up with pride when Xena had praised her for picking out the best beasts there and getting such a good deal on them as well.

Teresa Moreno, what an incredible woman. "If she'd been inclined, I would have taken her to bed." Xena was certain Gabrielle understood her physical infidelities. Two thousand years was a long time to sleep alone. "None of them have been a match for you, beloved. We're linked together for eternity, what are a few years of casual affection compared against that."

Another thought string unravelled. "Teresa's man, Sharpe, is an officer in the English army, beloved. I've been keeping tabs on him." Perhaps, Xena considered, she could impose upon the connection. The English might be willing to part with supplies if Sharpe vouched for her. Surely Teresa had told her husband about her mentor and that Xena fought on the Spanish side. As a Spanish partisan, Xena was one of their allies. They should be able to spare her some help.

No, that wouldn't work. She couldn't. She refused to bargain with the English from the weakened position she found herself in. "They'd most likely pat me on the head and point me to where the camp followers plied their charms, beloved. Men these days have no respect for what a properly trained and experienced warrior can accomplish on the field of battle." Xena would have spit but that was a waste of moisture. "What to do?"

The world did a few more spins across her vision. "If I just lay here its going to get worse before it gets better." That statement was more a scolding to herself than a message for Gabrielle but her thought processes were jumbled.

Xena caught hold of her scabbarded sword and using it as a cane pulled herself upright. She had to have water. Starting simply seemed the way to go. First water, then worry about medicine, shelter and food. Decorating the trees with French entrails was a month or so down the list but thinking of it did bring a grim smile to her face.

Take a step, picture breaking one of those wretched muskets over a soldier's head. Another step and visualise a satisfying decapitation. The bloody images were almost enough to distract her from the bolts of pain that every step caused.

Xena continued the grisly game all the way down the steep hill and towards the distant greenery.

xx

XENA: "Always looking out for me?"

GABRIELLE: "Always."

Gabrielle tasted bile in the back of her throat. Long ago she had progressed past hearing the thoughts Xena consciously aimed at her, past receiving only those thoughts that contained herself. Gabrielle saw Xena's life constantly, like a play being performed in the corner of her mind... unless she concentrated on blocking the steady stream of pictures and sensations.

Today that wasn't a situation she was comfortable with.

The ambush and Xena's wounding had been hard to handle. Gabrielle had been relieved when her immortal beloved had collapsed into sleep. Today however was even worse. The purposeful visualising of the warlord's intended revenge was brutal. The combination of Xena's own pain and that gruesome flow of planning pushed Gabrielle's need to respond to a desperate level.

The Bard tried balancing out Xena's fury. She walked through the convoluted village that made up the core of Gabrielle's afterlife. She paused to take in the sight of her Amazon Regent, Ephiny, standing in a garden kissing her centaur husband. The couple were content in the constant, peaceful NOW of the afterlife. Gabrielle could call out and they would invite her to join them for a picnic in a nearby meadow as they had thousands of times before. If she went then Ephiny and Phantes would act as if it were the first time, as they did every time. Trying to talk seriously about the living world was hard to do when those you spoke to had absolutely no sense of passing time.

It branded Gabrielle as different, having her soulmate still alive. That connection fed her knowledge of time and change. Unlike all her companions she knew when day turned to night and another day came.

A brief walk took her to a shadow of her hometown of Potadeia. Mother and father would be just around one corner. Gabrielle's sister, Lila, and the man she married might be one street over... although sometimes Lila was just a kid living with mother and father. Gabrielle's mood altered the reality she strode through.

Over a rise, off to her right, she would be able to find Xena's brothers and perhaps Solon, as well. He had a bit more understanding than most in regards to Gabrielle's situation. Being Xena's son he drifted through the immortal warrior's thoughts as well, linking him to the outside world, but the bonding was no where near as strong as the tie Xena had with the Bard, the other half of her soul.

A particularly disgusting image of vengeance from Xena's mind caused Gabrielle's steps to falter. This was very bad. If she couldn't find some way to keep her lover from falling into the darkness then both of them would spend the next hundred years or more struggling with Xena's self-loathing at the failing.

xx

GABRIELLE (to Xena): "You promise, if anything happens to me you won't become a monster."

The mud plastered over her face itched but Xena didn't dare scratch. Considering the full brightness of the moon, if her dirt mask were to flake away she would likely be seen. Although her wounds were mostly healed, the ensuing fever and infection had left a legacy of weakness lingering in her badly abused body. Xena didn't want an all out battle, at least not yet.

The warrior kept low to the ground and watched the activity across the meadow. If she was going to steal from someone it might as well be from those who had taken everything from her. The French army owed her a home, a mount, her last years savings... everything but the sword on her back. "Stealing back a few supplies is nothing by comparison, beloved." Xena mindspoke. "Nothing, compared to what I'm going to do to them once I'm recovered." The woman tried to ignore that these weren't in fact the exact same men. Their anonymous uniforms made them painfully easy to meld together in her mind. "If they weren't cut of the same cloth they'd be home with their families, where they belonged." She argued.

"Smug bastards." The hidden woman belittled. "So secure that their brutality has cowed the locals." Despite the proximity of a village, not two hours walk away, the patrol's perimeter line was awkwardly designed and shoddily executed. It was going to be easy slipping inside their defences. She intended to snatch some gear and slit a few throats for fun and cover along the way. A bit of medicine would be nice but highly unlikely. Ammunition, tea leaves, and waybread were more probable.

Xena held tight to the pair of knives she had liberated on her last raid and wiggled forward over the scrubby rise. Her less than optimal condition and the stillness of the night forced her to move at a bare crawl.

Any thoughts of Gabrielle were banished. Her beloved didn't need to be privy to what she was about to do. The truth was over the last fortnight Xena's mental conversations with the dead bard had sharply declined in frequency and depth. It was an unconscious defence against confronting how much her recent actions would disappoint Gabrielle.

Three of the soldiers were separated from the other men by the campfire and a slight mounding of the ground. Their ammo belts and packs were her current objective.

It took what felt like an hour for her to reach the first snoring figure. Now was not the time for hesitation or regret. Xena laid one knife down within easy reach then edged in for the kill. One hand tight across the mouth as her other blade sliced. That neatly did the job. The man bucked at the restraint only a fraction of a second before going limp again. Xena pulled his blanket higher to shroud the situation from a casual observer.

One of the men got out a short squeak of protest before dying but luckily it was her third and last target.

Getting out with the three heavy ammo belts and a pair of bulky packs was more challenging than sneaking up. She had to forsake the careful slither that had brought her in. Xena waited for the sentries to get to the point on the far side of the campfire where they paused almost every time to speak for a moment before continuing on their paths.

Having saved her energy for this, Xena hoisted her burdens and ran back the way she had come, bent slightly under the weight of her stolen supplies. She didn't wait to listen for an uproar. All that mattered was getting back to her picketed horse. Once mounted it wouldn't matter if her visit were discovered. None of this patrol had horses.

Xena waited until she was back in the security of the cave she was using as a hideout and settled in before examining her haul for the evening. When the first pack produced a small sheath of letters tied with a blue ribbon. Xena grimaced and quickly fed the bundle into her tiny fire. So what if the notes were from a mother or a wife and children. It was too late for that man anyway. There was no sense in beating herself up over a done deal. Her conscience, which had begun using Gabrielle's voice within months of meeting the now dead bard, whispered objections in the back of Xena's head. Those letters had threatened to put a name and background to what the warrior needed to keep a faceless body. "They were necessary casualties." The dark-haired woman snarled down at the small, carved horse one of the sidepockets had produced. She closed her hand on it a moment, cutting the shape into her palm before heaving the thing into the consuming flames. It wouldn't do to think on the significance of the wooden toy. "These men were soldiers. They knew the risks." Xena argued against her guilt. Of course part of her realised that her statement skirted the edge of a lie. There was no way the men expected to come up against an immortal, someone with no care for her own life... who would just keep up the battle despite everything.

Finally food. Her pleasure at finding a few hard buns, some wilted carrots, and the bottle of dark broth quickly over-powered any other emotion. The cook-pot she had taken from her last set of victims was actually going to get use tonight.

xx

SCULLY: "Mulder where are you? The drunk tank!!!!!?"

Withdrawing to the back corner of the crowded cell wasn't much help in escaping from the heavy smells of urine, vomit, and alcohol but it did put two walls behind his back. The sniggers and taunts of his cellmates at the contrast between his arrogant bearing and his shoddy appearance were too much to handle after what he'd been through.

He should have stayed at the party his sensible side insisted. Pretty Spanish noblewomen had been flirting with him. Visiting English beauties had flocked around him. Even the men had gathered about, wanting to hear stories of the Canadian wilderness and his skirmishes with the Americans. Lieutenant-Colonel William "Fox" Mulder had been the toast of the ball, and bored out of his skull. So the Canadian had pleaded weariness and slipped out and away from the glittering reception.

Right now that hot, perfume-heavy ballroom would be a welcome alternative. Instead he was in a dirty cell with the dregs of the city, having been mistaken for a thieving, double-dealing deadbeat. The hotel owner and the city guard had ignored his claims of being robbed. Mulder was the one sleeping off a binge in the unpaid room without a cent on him or even a scrap of clothing. Maybe if he could have argued in Spanish they might have taken him more seriously or at least called his friends. Instead he was dressed in prickly rags, hunched up in the city jail.

One of Mulder's cellmates took a step in his direction. Fox glowered, trying to project more energy than he possessed right now. The interloper laughed at his display but he did retreat.

His stomach pitched and ached from something he had ingested the night before. The tiny, but deep cut at the side of his throat itched, as did the bites Alex had inflicted on his neck and chest. Oddly, Fox hadn't noticed how severe they were when the younger man was inflicting them. Much to Mulder's delight the provoking demeanour Alex had displayed down in the tavern had persisted right through the actual encounter. The younger man had been both a task and a pleasure.

Alex 'son of a rabid whore' Krycek was going to pay if Fox ever laid eyes on that rat-bastard again. He'd carve something more into Krycek's letter scarred shoulder besides initials... and then leave the knife embedded a few inches when he was finished. There was no way Mulder had drunk enough to justify the kind of stupor he had fallen into after Alex left. The little weasel must have spiked the farewell drink he insisted Fox have before leaving for his own room. "It's your own damned fault. Idiot." Not so strangely, whenever William berated himself, the internal abuse sounded just like his father, William Senior. "Pretty girls were hanging on your every word but NO, you had to find someone 'interesting'. Damned fool." Mulder scowled. What was he thinking, taking someone he'd barely known for two hours up to his room. He'd lost everything, his money, his orders, his clothes and a good chunk of his self-respect because those dangerous green eyes, and the attitude behind them, had seemed an intriguing challenge.

Now Mulder was going to be late reporting to Lord Wellington... assuming he could even convince someone to contact the English military and confirm his story. The worst part was that on one level Fox didn't completely regret his decisions. Even now, all those vacant-eyed bits of parlour decoration put together didn't attract him as much as the lowlife sneak who had robbed him. "Stump brained idiot." One of Father's knife sharp rants slashed into William's mind. "What kind of sick pup prefers half-breed Indian sluts to a properly raised lady?" Never mind trying to argue that Eyota wasn't a slut but a warrior as skilled as Fox himself and twice as courageous. Mulder had teased the Indian woman, suggesting she was an Amazon in another life. He then had to explain exactly what he meant by the word. Eyota had laughed in his face, finding the concept of an all-female tribe quite ridiculous. "Silly Fox, where would the children come from?" The Indian woman had pushed him backwards into the stream they were sitting beside and accused him of making the whole idea up. Christ! He missed her and the other Rangers.

And if Father ever found out about the men... now there was a fear that made Mulder's blood run cold. Fox would be both castrated and disowned or dead within minutes of the old man discovering the complete extent of his son's depravity.

Now he had to worry about the army discovering his somewhat indecent predilection thanks to this fiasco with Alex. If the soldiers Fox had encountered back home were any indication this could ruin his career before it even started. "Bloody hell." Mulder scraped a hand back through his hair and snarled at another prisoner who ventured too close.

A 'properly raised lady' was waiting on him. Father and a few of his cronies had arranged a deal with a cash strapped Irish Earl. The Earl was giving Mulder Junior his eldest daughter's hand in marriage in exchange for enough money to keep the man's family and estates afloat. True to form and confident he was doing the right thing... William's father had eagerly bought his son a military commission, a bride, and an impending noble title to further his own dreams of joining the old world gentry. The announcement of the commission in Wellington's army and his betrothal had almost sent Fox running into the western wilderness with his coureur du bois friends. Skinner and the men would have welcomed another strong back to help on the voyage. Mulder had shown himself as a useful addition to their company in the past.

Mulder's little sister Samantha was the only thing that kept him from fleeing. Father had snarled about duty and honour. Mother had simpered about how Samantha could only benefit if William could take his sister out of Canada and introduce her to decent society. Sam herself had coaxed, wheedled, and reminded her big brother that the change would put an ocean between him and father, for a while at least. The lure of that kind of independence and his dread of what father would force Sam into if William refused proved his undoing.

The metal door clanged, rousing Mulder out of his internal musings.

The guard pompously announced something in Spanish. His finger stabbed out, choosing a small lot of men and motioning them to the exit.

Fox climbed to his feet and strode over, only to have an open palm shoved in his face. Everything about the guard's tone of voice and his body language denied Mulder.

"I'm a Lieutenant-Colonel in the British army. Lord Wellington himself is waiting for me to report in." Mulder willed those words or at least Wellington's name to penetrate the language barrier.

The sentence did draw an examining look, but then it got a laugh and another burst of unrecognisable Spanish.

"He says you wait some longer, English." One of the men lined up to leave translated. "That he not be caring if that King from English be your best friend. You wait."

"But I... " Mulder's protest was cut off by a hard shove from the jailer and a warning shake of a fist. "Fine... I'll wait." Fox backed away, holding his hands up in surrender. "But you're going to be sorry later for how you're treating me." The Canadian warned. He returned to his spot, roundly cursing the guard, Spain, intoxicating green eyes, his father, and himself for being such a fool that he had let this happen.

xx

MULDER: "I would never lie; I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation."

Aleksandr Krycek kept himself quietly off to the side of the main group of men. He had discovered that as long as he stayed near the sunlit fabric of the tent and didn't draw attention to himself it was unlikely that he would be sent away from the command centre. He needed to gather as much intelligence as he could in the shortest time possible. Alek cursed himself for the unexpected spark of reluctance that had stopped his knife at the last possible moment. He really should have slit William Mulder's throat back in Madrid. What was one more death on his conscience at this point in his life? As it was the threat of Mulder showing up to expose Aleksandr as an impostor hung over his head. Luckily, his victim was not likely to show up too quickly. Leaving the man naked and without possessions, in an unpaid room seriously cut into the possibility of Mulder's tracking him down promptly.

Three different conversations carried on around him. Leaning over a map, Lord Wellington and one of the higher-ranking officers were debating the merits of two different approaches to a nearby castle. In a back corner of the tent a supply officer and a clerk were discussing how low the provisions of meat and cheese had grown over the last fortnight. Nearest to Aleksandr was Wellington's spymaster, Hogan, telling the tale of a particularly nasty Spanish partisan who was hacking and slashing her way through French patrols. It seemed 'La Princesa Guerrera' was single-handedly taking a healthy chunk out of Napoleon's nearby forces. Hogan seemed undecided whether he should send out a small force to offer the woman aid and direction or simply let her ravage undisturbed.

Aleksandr shifted slightly to see past a shoulder. The many maps spread over Wellington's desk were all marked with arrows and lines. He set to imprinting the information on his remarkable memory.

"What's your take on armed civilians, Colonel Mulder?"

Hogan's question came at the moment Aleksandr least expected it. Alek couldn't help but wonder if the timing of the query had been chosen purposefully. "They've proved invaluable back home." Aleksandr responded. "The Indians, I mean." He clarified trying to recall everything he had ever heard of North America. "They don't have to be properly supplied or paid on a regular basis... and officially we aren't responsible for damage that they may cause." This was more familiar territory. "It's a convenient way to inflict losses on the enemy." Aleksandr was pleased that response seemed intelligent enough. Still, he was constantly regretting he hadn't spent more time pumping Mulder for information on his recent career.

"I should think 'the Fox' had more than his share of backwoods allies over in the Canadas." A young Major chuckled. "That's what they called you over there, wasn't it Colonel?"

"Yes, it was." Mulder's brandy rough voice saying 'my friends call me Fox' was quite firmly embedded in Alek's mind. Aleksandr shrugged. "But that was there. I expect I need to prove myself all over again." He needed to turn the topic of the conversation. His alcohol encouraged interrogation of the real William Mulder hadn't been nearly extensive enough for his stolen persona to stand up to intense questioning. "Has this 'La Princesa Guerrera' done any harm to the English cause, Sir?"

"Not yet, no." Hogan seemed to be studying the new Lieutenant Colonel rather more closely than the situation warranted.

"Well, you would know best how to handle this situation, Sir." Aleksandr attempted to convey admiration in both his tone and expression. "You are the expert."

The tent flaps flicked open and "It's Major Sharpe, my Lord." was announced gravely by a teenage Lieutenant.

"He's back, good." Wellington looked up from his work. "Send him in." The Commander of the Army glanced over at the newcomer to their midst. "Step up here Colonel Mulder. Major Sharpe will be your guide from now until you settle in. He'll be taking you out to see the lay of the land."

So he was finally going to meet the man Ducos had ordered him to kill if the opportunity ever arose. The French spymaster had an absolute hatred for Sharpe. The rumours Aleksandr had heard told of the English Officer making a fool of Ducos and causing him to lose favour with Napoleon and the General staff.

Alek tugged his stolen green jacket straight and put on his most earnest expression. During the last two days he had maintained his pretence of being Lieutenant-Colonel Mulder by deflecting the attention anyone had given him back on the questioner. A perfect method considering the English officer class, as big a bunch of blowhards as Alek had ever come across. He was definitely going to have to change this tactic in order to deal with the Major, considering the man's history and reputation.

The door flapped again. All eyes lifted to the travel-stained figure entering their clean, uniformed group.

"Ah, Major Sharpe." Wellington seemed genuinely pleased. "We've been waiting for you."

"M'lord." Sharpe's dusty blonde head bobbed.

Wellington beckoned Aleksandr closer. "This is Lieutenant-Colonel William Mulder the third." He paused for effect. His tone had skirted the edge of mocking at the unwieldy title but no one would dare to call his Lordship on it. "Your new commanding officer." Was added with a hint of humour.

Sharpe stared, taking in the freshly-made green rifleman's uniform and youth of his new commander.

"Colonel Mulder distinguished himself as a Ranger against the Americans over in the Canadas." Wellington elaborated. "Hogan means to use Mulder to infiltrate the French."

Hogan took this as his cue to join the conversation. "Colonel Mulder speaks the Frogs' own tongue and is quite the sharpshooter as well, or so I'm told. That should help him fit in with your lot, Sharpe. " Hogan remarked. "The Colonel has also pulled a few tricky manoeuvres over on those ruddy Americans. By his'self, he lost a patrol of them in the woods then set to picking them off one at time over the next several days. He had 'em trying to run home with their tails between their legs before he finished them off." That drew a chuckle or three around the tent. "Your skill at using the land against those American upstarts is what earned you the nickname 'the Fox', isn't it, Sir?"

"Damned if I know." Aleksandr ducked his head slightly. "I can only hope to live up to your expectations, Sir." He deflected.

"If half the tales I've had of you prove true... " Hogan trailed off. "Our man Sharpe is just the one to show you the countryside. The Major has quite the way with our local Partisans as well. Eventually I'm hoping you can toss Mulder off to your contacts, Sharpe."

The line of Sharpe's mouth was grim. "As you wish, Sir." He nodded to his new commander. "Lieutenant-Colonel Mulder."

"Major Sharpe." Aleksandr extended his hand. "I've heard about your exploits. You are the same Major Sharpe who took an imperial Eagle at Talavera, are you not? The one who saved Lord Wellington's life?"

"Aye Sir, that would be me." The other man earned a nod but Sharpe's hand showed no sign of returning the handshake.

"This is quite an honour, Major. I hope to prove myself worthy of your fine tutelage." He stepped closer, hoping that distance was the reason for Sharpe's non-response. If his fawning attitude to a lessor officer raised eyebrows in the tent Alek didn't much care. It was important this man trust, and perhaps, like him.

"Sir." After a little more hesitation Sharpe shook his new commander's hand firmly and ventured a spare smile.

Aleksandr offered up his most dazzling grin. He examined the older man discreetly. Major Sharpe was a rather impressive piece of work. Handsome, in a rough way and if his uniform was a bit scuffed up, well, the man's rifle looked to be in prime condition. He seemed a dangerously competent man, compared to usual parade ground officers that seemed to abound in the British ranks. No wonder Ducos wanted him dead.

"So what did you come across on patrol, Major Sharpe." Wellington interrupted, breaking them apart.

"Nothing extraordinary, M'lord. We caught wind of some rumours." Richard Sharpe snapped a little straighter. "It's said that the partisans have been up to a bit of slaughter and several French patrols have been massacred... but we saw nothing first hand." Sharpe added, almost as an afterthought. "We ended up escorting a supply caravan in, M'lord. We hooked up with them late yesterday. I believe it's already begun unloading."

That caused a stir of movement in the back of the tent as two men excused themselves to tend to new arrivals.

"Nothing else?" Wellington regarded Sharpe.

"No M'lord."

"Very well." Lord Wellington nodded and waved his hand from Sharpe and Aleksandr to the doorway. "That will be all gentlemen. I will talk to you first thing tomorrow morning about a mission."

"Milord." The honorarium escaped them both. The two men withdrew from the command centre.

"How much action did you see in Canada, Sir?" Sharpe covertly inspected the rifle slung across the other man's back.

"Just Mulder, if you please, Major. I spent most of my time in the wilderness and to be honest I don't have much patience with the rigid structure of the army." Aleksandr gazed at the horizon. "I'm looking forward to the change in scenery... the challenge of new opponents." He side-stepped the topic of Mulder's past yet again. "I took a look at our Regiment yesterday. You've done an excellent job with them. I was thinking of running them through a drill. I've heard of your claim that the best of your soldiers can get off three shots a minute. That's something worth seeing."

"All my men can do three rounds a minute... in any weather." Richard paused then added. "Sir."

"I stand corrected. Maybe you'll join me as I drill the troops."

"Sir, before you get started on that... " Sharpe interrupted. "As I said inside, my men and I hooked up with a caravan on our way back from patrol." He hitched his head in the direction of a hive of activity to the south. "Miss Scully, your fiancee, was among the arrivals. I left her in the care of my Sergeant... meaning to look you up after my report."

Aleksandr's posture went stiff and his face paled to bloodless white. "My fiancee... " The words were shocked out of him. "With your Sergeant?"

Richard Sharpe's brow knitted at the other man's reaction. "Not to worry, Sir. Sergeant Harper is Irish too. He's simply talking over the news from home. Harper's a married man."

Aleksandr clamped down on his self-control. Mulder hadn't mentioned a woman was waiting on him. Of course, the situation didn't exactly encourage that kind of confidence. Aleksandr forced a smile. "I'm sure Sergeant Harper is a perfect gentlemen... and being more accustomed to the camp he must know exactly where to settle my future bride." His mind raced. "I'll get round and pay my respects... but it will have to wait until after I drill the men. One never knows when the fighting will erupt and I need to have the measure of the men as swiftly as possible."

Sharpe's head tipped back slightly to stare at his new commander. "As you say Sir."

"Please, just Mulder." Aleksandr repeated. "Do stop by the range later Sharpe. I'd love to hear the tale of Talavera first hand... as well as some of your other battles. I'm sure I've got a lot to learn from you. I've been too long on my own in the woods." He laughed. "I'm a little rusty at anything large scale." Aleksandr put some distance between them. "See you later, Sharpe."

Richard watched the retreat for a few breaths then shrugged and went in search of Harper.

xx

XENA: "This is war! What did you expect? Glamour? There are no good choices only lesser degrees of evil."

Xena urged her horse into a punishing gallop. The gap between her and the French courier that she was chasing closed quickly. Her mount was fresh while his had been travelling the entire day. Gripping the animal tighter with her legs the warrior reached over her shoulder and unsheathed her sword with a quick flowing movement. A quick battle cry was the last thing the fleeing man heard before the edge of her blade caught the crook of his shoulder and sliced sideways.

The man's death throes provoked a panicked burst of energy in the horse. Xena had to follow the animal a good ten minutes before she could lean across and grab hold of it's flapping reins. After a quick look around Xena led the horse over into the scanty cover of some nearby trees.

She ransacked the man's pouches with cold efficiency. As she suspected they contained coded orders and a map with all sorts of obscure symbols pencilled on it. It would require some study before she would be able to make heads or tails of the information.

Xena tore off all the marks that identified the packs and horse as French, tossed the hanging body into the underbrush, and tied the new animal to hers. Her hand ran down the golden fur of the courier's mount. This was a beast worth keeping, clean lined and fast as the wind. If she hadn't ambushed the Frenchman he might have outrun her without too much trouble.

The sight of her grimy fingers in the short, pale hair brought back hazy memories of another mount long turned to dust. Disturbingly enough, the name of that cherished mare refused to surface in her mind right now. Her forehead fell forward against warm, musky flesh three times, willing the memory to surface. "Argo." She finally decided with a sense of satisfaction. Her mind's eye provided a vision of her beloved cautiously catching hold of the big animal's reins. Equating an elusive memory with Gabrielle always made it easier to retrieve.

"So many losses, beloved. " Xena sighed, running her eyes over the horse's clean lines. "I just can't keep taking it. I need you to understand that. Sometimes fighting back is the only way to do it. " She climbed back up into her own saddle. "Maybe I've gone a little bit overboard but... " A nudge of her knee set the horse going. "They brought the fight to me. I didn't go looking for it."

A dull ache in her midsection reminded Xena of the agony she'd recently been through. The healing still wasn't complete. "I might have been able to stay out of it if they'd stuck to bashing each other's brains out, beloved, but I couldn't stand by, not after seeing the price this war demanded of my friends."

Everything about her life had become transient. The sights and sounds she knew in her youth were long gone. Xena had watched empires rise and fall over the last two thousand years. The house she had been born in was ancient dust blowing across the countryside. Good friends were so rare that her heart demanded she cherish what little time she had in their company. "How can I allow them to be taken away from me without demanding retribution, beloved?"

The horse following behind tossed its head nervously at some scent on the evening breeze, skittering sideways. Xena shushed it absently, scanning the surrounding countryside for any threat. Being constantly on alert was hard but she didn't dare let anyone else join up with her now. Things were on the edge of becoming very nasty. The warrior could feel the darkness bubbling up inside her each time she came across some new atrocity committed by the occupying soldiers.

"I can hold it together, but really... what's the point? These men don't respond to anything but violence so that's what I have to use. People haven't changed much. We knew that sort. By Hades, I WAS that sort for a time." Xena sighed, glancing up at the sky then across the fields. "Perhaps it's time I shifted my tactics, my love. I think it's time to fade into the darkness. No, not like that." She pacified. "I would be far more comfortable at night. It helps to even the odds." Xena grimaced. The tactics of death weren't something Gabrielle would be pleased to hear about. The warrior stopped the internal dialogue.

She regretted some of the bloodier images of revenge she had inflicted on her soulmate during her recovery. The gentle Bard would be worried about the state Xena was in, worried that her tenuous control was slipping. "Don't worry, I'm all right, beloved. I can handle it." She assured.

Her toe poked at the courier's pouch she had taken earlier. The next time she ran across a safe contact the documents needed to be passed on. "The British may be able to use this information to move forward. The sooner they drive the French out of Spain, the sooner I can try and get on with my life." Xena realised the war was hard on the Spanish people but the British seemed the lesser of two evils. Wellington actually made an effort to keep his men from ravaging the countryside as they advanced.

She returned her concentration to the world about her and the mission she had set for herself with a weary sigh. Tomorrow might require more killing but that wasn't something Xena wanted to hash over with Gabrielle, or her conscience. Sometimes it was easier not to speak to the Bard than it was to justify actions that the other half of her soul had taught the Warrior were wrong.

xx

MULDER: "I know the difference between expectation and hope."

The girl had impressed Harper from the first moment of their meeting. Leaning out the window of her coach, caught by a stray beam of sunlight, the girl had seemed a vision. She had offered up the traditional greeting of a small silver flask and a shy smile as soon as his accent touched her ears. The brandy was some of the smoothest he had ever tasted, and Patrick Harper prided himself of being an excellent judge of alcohol.

Miss Scully was a tiny Irish beauty with carrot red hair, bright blue eyes and a smattering of freckles across the bridge of her small nose. Of course, her trim waist and the ample curve of her breasts were a nice touch too. It turned out she was a sweetheart as well. A fine, sensible girl, undisturbed by the soldiers' scruffy state. Quite unlike the wilting English blonde who had been sharing her coach. Her company had been a happy addition to the gathering about the fire the night before. The girl had told a sprightly story about fairies, a saucer of milk and her neighbour's prize pig.

Harper couldn't help but think it a damn shame that she was here to marry a Lieutenant Colonel. In his experience a good many of the higher-ranking officers were either idiots, cads or both. Harper's misgivings grew even stronger as the girl admitted she had never actually met her intended husband.

"Of course, I've been exchanging letters with his sister ever since Da first started talking about the marriage." Dana qualified, tucking away the locket she had eagerly shown her new friend. Mulder's picture was too small for much more detail than dark hair and a faintly youthful face but Dana had smiled down at the jewellery-encased portrait. "Samantha speaks very highly of William. She sent me an Indian thing he made... a gift just for me." She smoothed the fabric of her dress. "And William himself wrote to me once, the most touching letter I've ever seen... though he's been terrible busy."

Patrick Harper and Miss Scully were standing at the edge of a whirlwind of activity. Newly arrived supply wagons were at the centre of the bustle.

"How long have you been fighting Patrick?" She used his first name as he had insisted the night before.

It sounded good to Harper, hearing his name on the lips of a pretty Irish girl after so long in Spain. "Feels like forever, Miss." Patrick spotted Sharpe weaving through the crowd. "Here comes the Major now." Oddly enough, no strange Colonel walked with him. "No luck, Sir?" Harper asked. "I could take Miss Dana about... look for him."

"No need for that Pat." Richard shook his head. "It turns out Colonel Mulder is our new commanding officer. I met him in Lord Wellington's tent." Sharpe resisted the urge to duck his head and not look the girl in the eye. "I told him you were here, lass, but he's drilling the regiment right now. I'm sure he means to look you up afterwards."

Dana's disappointment was painfully clear on her face. She forced a smile however. "Of course he's at his duties. His sister Samantha warned me that he was constantly away from home... " A strand of red hair was caught and tucked behind an ear. "William takes his duties ever so seriously."

"Let me escort you to your quarters Miss Dana." Harper offered.

"Posh Patrick." Dana objected playfully. "That wife you've been telling me of is no doubt waiting impatiently on you. Be off with you." She scolded. "I would dearly like to meet Ramona and the wee one though. I'll come find your camp after I've settled in and perhaps William will be there by then." With one last smile the young woman walked off in the direction her luggage had taken earlier.

Harper watched the green skirt vanish into the crowd. "If I were a few years younger... " He trailed off.

"Ramona would still kick your arse." Richard chuckled.

Harper joined in on the laugh a moment then sobered. "What kind of man would keep a sweet girl like that waiting on him?"

"A dedicated officer I suppose." Sharpe guessed. "Come on. Let's get cleaned up, have a cup of tea...then we'll head over to the drilling ground and see for sure what kind of man he is."

They made their way over to where the South Essex billeted. A small crisp tent was set up right beside Sharpe's quarters. Patrick and Richard exchanged a look, surprised at the location of what must be Mulder's lodgings.

All around the nearest campfire the men looked up.

"New officer." Harris spoke over his steaming mug.

"Aye." Sharpe acknowledged as he scrounged up his own battered cup. "I met him briefly."

"An odd fish by all accounts so far." The seated rifleman continued. "They say he's kind of twitchy... doesn't hold still long enough to say much." Harris took a sip of tea. "And the lad that collected him from Madrid is eager to share the tale of his first sighting of the Colonel. He came running over before we'd even sat down."

"Whatcha mean, Harris?" Sharpe asked, taking a nearby seat.

"It seems that when Johnson banged on the Colonel's door and called him... Mulder poked his head out the room across the hall." Harris laughed, recalling the look on Johnson's face as he told the story. "So Johnson twisted around, right quick, and catches an eyeful. Mulder's looking a mite on the flustered side... only half dressed and he's got company on the bed behind him."

Harper spat into the fire. "And him with that bonny girl waiting on him." Patrick was frowning and shaking his dark head. "Poor girl."

A shrug was Sharpe's response. He would wait to see what kind of soldier the man was. Mulder's personal life wasn't his concern.

xx

GABRIELLE: "More hot sand. Touring the world is sure tough on shoes."

The road north out of Madrid was hot and very dusty as she hiked towards where she had been told Wellington's advancing forces had pushed the retreating French.

"I wish I didn't need to wear all these clothes." She complained to no one, plucking at where her sweat had plastered the loose shirt to her skin. "My old outfit would be so much more comfortable in this heat, although it really would make me stand out. Still, at least I'm not stuck in that corset and dress." She grimaced "That was truly uncomfortable."

Although the world seemed strange to her and much of what she had seen on her journey surprised her, she had quickly realised that Xena had taught her many of the things she needed to know to live in this time. Gabrielle wondered if her warrior knew that every time she "talked" to her bard, she was teaching her soulmate about the changes the world had gone through in the time since her death. Everything from the geography of the modern world to what denominations of money were worth had come to Gabrielle through their bond. She had even learned twelve different languages over the course of two thousand years. Xena usually drifted to thinking in whatever the local language was after she had been living in one spot more than a few years. Her mindvoice would follow the change when speaking to Gabrielle not even pausing to wonder whether it would translate.

"It's funny to think about how when we were together you wouldn't say much to me at all. Since I crossed over you talked to me more in a day than you used to in a week."

Speaking aloud was a defence against the months of inner silence, a part of the price for stepping out into the real world. She now lacked Xena's mindvoice, a constant companion for two millennia. It had made her feel very lonely and, at first, afraid. The world was a very different place now and no matter how much she had learned from Xena's observations over the years the adjustment had been hard. The world was much larger and had more people in it. When she saw her first big city she stood in awe at its size.

"When you first took me to Athens I was stunned by how vast it was. Now the city I recall was barely a tenth the size it is now. It's a good thing that it had not grown as far as the cave where you stashed those supplies years ago. I wouldn't have made it this far without that money for clothes and transport."

Gabrielle felt Xena would be proud of how far she had travelled on her own. Living off the land wasn't really new to her but having to keep attention away from herself and still interact with the people around her was a challenge. She knew an independent woman travelling alone wasn't normal in these days and that alone could cause problems she didn't have time or patience for. Thankfully, when she felt the attention grow a little too close, she was able to use charm and money to remain unnoticed. Some things really haven't changed at all.

The dust cloud that was raised by the supply caravan travelling ahead of her had settled. Gabrielle realised it meant that they had halted for a rest. Some short trees to her right offered shelter from the mid-day sun so she angled her steps there. Leaning the staff against the tree and removing her shoulder bag, the bard settled in what little shade there was.

"As good a place as any to have lunch" she said while removing some leftover breakfast from her sack. "It was lucky I was able to find this caravan. Following it to the fighting is better than wandering alone."

She knew the soldiers, acting as escorts, should deter anyone from bothering the supply train and hoped to share in that security. Gabrielle followed close enough so that she wouldn't have to get directions to where the fighting was, but not so close as to make them suspicious of her " I know you're near where the armies are, lover."

The bard glanced toward the stopped caravan now and then to see if they had started to move again. As she finished her meal and was repacking her bag she noticed one of the soldiers was slowly riding toward her. " Not that you would miss these guys. The red coats they wear really stand out. "

Inside that self-same red coat 'Fox' William Mulder was cooking in his own sweat. Wearing heavy wool in this weather was absolutely insane but such were the dictates of the uniform. He urged his borrowed horse a little bit further so they could halt in the shade of some withered trees. Mulder had wanted a closer look at the person who had been trailing after the supply wagons for most of the day. The other soldiers had stated there wasn't much to worry about on such a well-travelled route as this but Fox needed to know that for himself. Besides it got him away from the two other officers in the company during the break... when boredom made carefully obscure, but nasty, comments on Mulder's difficulties in Madrid weasel into the conversation.

Mulder gazed down at the traveller from his seat high atop his horse. A peasant, most likely farm raised considering the girl was wearing coarse spun pants. She carried a tall walking staff, a battered knapsack and a good portion of her full, blondish hair was tucked inside a scarf to keep the worst of the road dust off it. That suggested she had put in a fair bit of time on the road. Not local stock from the look of her, but there wasn't anything remarkable about the girl. There was no reason to either address the traveller or be concerned about her presence. It was after all, just a harmless little girl. Without speaking Mulder pulled a rein hard, clicking an order to his mount and turned his back on the stranger. Maybe he could quickly scoop up a bit of cold meat and bread then eat in the saddle now the line-up at the cook wagon had dissipated.

Gabrielle waited until the soldier had silently turned away then flashed a grin at the man's stiff back. Her first reaction to his 'down the nose' inspection of her had been mild annoyance. Between that nose of his and the attitude the man seemed to be projecting he reminded her of a Roman officer looking over a barbarian but then again his abrupt dismissal of her meant she had been judged 'no threat'. She should be able to continue trailing the caravan without any interference from the escort.

xx

MULDER: "When I first met you I figured you were just ambitious. This morning, my opinion changed. I thought you were arrogant. Now I'm beginning to wonder what you're protecting."

Aleksandr kept most of his attention on the men as they went through the motions of forming a square. He spared only a fraction of his mind noting Major Sharpe's gradual, roundabout approach. It wouldn't do to give Sharpe the impression that he wasn't completely enthralled by the regiment's movements.

In reality Alek would rather have been on the far side of the camp from the drilling field and the nearby firing range. Whenever a shot went off in the near distance Aleksandr had to grit his teeth to keep from covering his ears and dropping to the trampled grass. God, but he hated the sound of muskets firing.

Sharpe was within a few feet now so Aleksandr looked up, composing a harmless admiring look on his face. There had been precious few people Alek had met since the French soldiers had taken his family's lands that didn't respond to mindless adoration. "Major Sharpe. My compliments." He smiled happily. "The men are so well trained they don't seem to even need my orders. You've done an excellent job with them."

"Thank you, Sir." Sharpe nodded and looked over the field.

Still 'Sir'. Aleksandr swallowed a sigh of annoyance. Sharpe was proving more difficult to manipulate than most of these British twits. He was going to need to deal differently with this Major. "The men aren't within hearing distance... Mulder really is fine with me." Alek insisted. "Do you prefer Sharpe or Richard?"

A slow blink prefaced the answer. "Sharpe will do fine... Mulder." The Major's discomfort with the familiarity came through in his tone.

"How have they performed under fire so far?" Aleksandr returned to the safety of discussing the troops, carefully asking something that required more than a 'yes' or 'no' response.

"They're a brave enough lot." Sharpe's attention was entirely on the drilling ground as he spoke. "There's not another regiment I'd rather serve with."

The younger man refused to let the silence alone. "So, how fast can they get out of Squares and into lines?" Aleksandr tried putting a hint of provocation into his voice.

Sharpe's posture tightened up just a little. "As fast as need be." The Major assured his new commander. "Send down the order and see for yourself."

Alek allowed himself a smirk. What hollow flattery and coaxing hadn't accomplished, the challenge did. Sharpe was actually responding naturally for the first time. Aleksandr pulled in a deep breath and bellowed at the nearest Sergeant. "Lines! QUICKLY!" The authority in his tone may have left something to be desired but a much more experienced soldier relayed his wishes. The men scrambled to obey.

A pleased smile tugged at the corner of Richard's mouth. "Quick enough, I'd say. Of course a good officer would see what's needed and give the order in plenty of time.

"I'll do my best." Alek shrugged. "But you can't expect much from a shiny new kid like me I suppose." He teasingly invited derision that Sharpe would never dare give voice to. "I'm going over for a close look, Sharpe. Would you join me?"

They had just reached the first soldier in the line when Aleksandr noticed another green clad rifleman approaching. The man was a bit taller than either Sharpe or himself with a healthy, broad-shouldered frame. Untidy black curls and rough shadowed cheeks gave the impression of a common soldier. Alek took one look at the newcomer, flashed back to the Sergeant from the force that had taken his family home, and felt both an immediate dislike and a touch of fear chill his soul.

xx

Aleksandr's father had died fairly quickly. Papa had insisted that the family not burn their holdings and flee in the face of the French army despite the Czar's orders. It was a mercy that he didn't live long enough to see what his foolishness had wrought. The screams from Mama and the girls had gone on a long time. Alek was certain it was Mama's blood plastered on the uniform of that bastard Sergeant when he came to find out what the fuss was near the stables. Blood had stained that dark, greasy hair as the Sergeant slicked it back, glaring down at where Aleksandr tried to shield his baby brother and last remaining sister, wildly wielding father's old sword. {A field mouse! You're letting a field mouse hold you off? I'll show you how to handle the likes of this one.} And he had, over and over again during the next few days.

xx

Sharpe's meagre smile filled out at the arrival. He took no notice of the younger man's suddenly stiff posture. "Colonel Mulder, this is Sergeant Harper, the finest man I've ever had stand at my back." Richard introduced. "Harper, this is Miss Scully's intended and our new commander... Lieutenant Colonel Mulder."

"Sergeant Harper." Aleksandr smiled tightly, fighting the urge to flinch as the Rifleman stepped closer. Malais was far from here... most likely drunk in cheap Parisian brothel waiting for Alek's return, the spy reminded himself. This was just another dull oaf he had to deceive, one that he currently outranked. "So, you're the gentleman that the Major set to minding my fiancee. Thank you."

"My pleasure, Sir." Patrick Harper inclined his head. "Your Miss Scully's a rose of a girl. You're a damned lucky man."

"Quite." Alek answered blankly. "Did you see Miss Scully settled in then?"

"Aye Sir. The Quartermaster's given her a tent near the kitchens but Miss Scully isn't there right now." Harper elaborated. "The young Miss brought herself over to our site, sir, to call on my wife and perhaps yourself." A slight waver of emotion was bending the Sergeant's tone. "The short of things is... my son has been feeling poorly so your Miss Scully is tending on the baby. She's got quite the soothing manner, your Miss Scully does." Harper glanced briefly over his shoulder. "She tells me she did a little doctoring back on her father's lands. The good Lord knows we can always use another set of healing hands about here. My Ramona is thanking the Saints for your Miss Scully's arrival."

Aleksandr took an unconscious step backwards, seizing on a way of getting rid of the Sergeant. "You must be worried sick over your little one, Sergeant. I can't see you spending your time here on a routine inspection when such as that is on your mind. I must insist that you return to site, Sergeant Harper." Alek gave it as an order. "Keep my fiancee as long as need be to tend your baby. I'm sure Miss Scully is best off in the company of your fine wife as anywhere in the camp." Aleksandr tore his eyes away from Harper's disturbing presence and looked at the waiting line of soldiers. "Would that I could come by and pay my respects to the Lady, but your sick child and my duties here must take precedence." The authority in his voice increased as Alek distanced himself from the looming Irishman. "Do tell her I'm thinking of her. Thank you Sergeant. You're excused."

Harper frowned briefly at the quick dismissal. "Begging your pardon, Sir." He lingered. "But your Miss Scully did mention that some certain medicines might be just the thing for my little one. If yourself or the Major could see clear to intervening with the Army doctors they would most likely part with just the wee bit required."

Aleksandr had wanted to keep Sharpe at his side so he could work on the Major but anything to get rid of the Sergeant and keep Mulder's inconvenient fiancee busy and away from him. Alek looked up from the musket he had taken into his hands. "Well then, Major Sharpe you should go along as well and see to it Miss Scully has everything she could possibly require. I can handle things here. You already know the men. This is entirely for my benefit anyway."

"Aye Sir." Sharpe acknowledged over top of Harper's quiet thanks.

"Off you go then." Aleksandr addressed the only one of the pair he would look in the eye, putting every bit of charm he had into the dismissal. "I'll see you later, Major." Alek smiled now.

"Aye Sir." Richard repeated, withdrawing and taking Harper with him.

Aleksandr handed back the first musket and moved to the second soldier but his ears strained after the departing officers.

"Not that I don't appreciate what he's doing... but he's a strange sort of man, Sir... that he hasn't come round to see his bonny lass, what with the way she's pining for him?" Harper mumbled softly.

Sharpe tossed a glance back over their shoulders. "Cut him some slack, Pat. You do have to admire his dedication to the job... putting the men first, afore his social life."

The rest of the conversation was lost as the divide between them increased. Aleksandr spared only a blink of his eyes to assure himself that the tall Sergeant was gone then put all his concentration on the inspection.

xx

XENA: "What's the matter, you having trouble getting inside my head right now? Let me help you."

Xena had wedged herself into the shattered remains of a church steeple. The ransacked building made a decent hide out and the high perch of the bell tower gave her a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside. The spyglass that she had liberated from a French officer a few days ago was coming in handy.

That lot of Frog bastards hadn't been content with some abandoned building for night. They had taken over a cottage, using it as bandits might, careless of the hard work that had been put into stocking the larder.

"They would have killed that farmer to take what they wanted, beloved." She frowned at the landscape. "Maybe have hurt the children... probably raped his wife." Luckily the party hadn't progressed that far before luck and Xena's tracking skills brought her to the door. That small troop of French soldiers had been only one short step away from renegades. The officer hadn't held any semblance of control over the motley gang.

"I know those two that ran away... Chasing them down like that was a bit harsh but... " The only thing Xena hated more than French soldiers at this point in time were the scavengers. She despised the men who had fled authority from both sides of the conflict and now lived off pillaging people already abused and dispossessed by the war. They were worms to be ground underfoot.

The warrior watched the small village down the hill from the deserted church for a time. Only a few people moved about. It might be safe to approach. Most of the locals had fled this area. It was too close to several prime battlegrounds. The villagers might come back once Wellington got off his ass and moved the front line further north where it belonged.

"Maybe once the French are securely back inside their own boarders I could stop." She considered. "But what's to stop them from attacking again once our guard goes down? We have to finish it hard, beloved. That's the best way to insure they stay away from our homes."

Her thoughts wandered. Xena rested her forehead against the sun-warmed stone. "Do you remember Daria, beloved?" The Warrior's smile was bittersweet. "How many years... ? It's been three or four hundred at least. That girl was forever climbing up into the most unlikely perches." The face wouldn't come clear. Only a halo of untidy brown curls and an imp's grin would form. Xena's mouth tightened in annoyance. She had spent six years in the company of the former thief. Granted, six years wasn't much when weighed against the over two thousand years worth of memories that crammed her skull, but... "How could I forget... ?" A moment of panic racked the immortal. With careful precision she attempted to visualise Gabrielle. Her mind's eye looked down. The Bard was shorter than she was, but then most women were, especially back in the old days. Blonde hair, more red tones in the winter, but in the summer as golden as the sun itself. Xena placed the emerging figure in a dappled woodland clearing, staff in hand with a sheath full of rolled scrolls tossed casually over one elegant shoulder. Make the hair long, Gabrielle's short locks had too many bad memories entangled in it. All right. Green eyes, sparkling green eyes accented with curving brows and thick blonde bangs. Long lashes, top and bottom. The image wavered uncertainly, squeezing Xena's heart painfully. Soft, pink lips, the bottom a bit heavier than the top. A small, straight nose and a stubborn, clearly defined chin. The Warrior's fingers twitched, wishing she could reach out and trace. Surely her fingers recalled even more than her mind. The body was lean, with a flat stomach, strong arms and smooth skin. A groan escaped. "I'd best put some clothes on you, beloved. The nights are cold enough as it is." The jest was weak. "I always liked that little green shirt and leather skirt."

When the picture finally solidified, her relief was a tangible thing. "If I ever forget what you look like... " The thought trailed off unfinished. The reality was that there was little she could do to prevent that situation besides this occasional game of visualisation and nothing she could do to repair the hurt if the image ever faded beyond recall. A hunger gnawed at her that had little to do with food. "Too much thinking, not enough action." She scolded herself. The melancholy was shaken off with a physical shudder. "Action." Xena repeated aloud in an attempt to dispel the mood.

She tucked away the telescope and set to picking her way down from the precarious perch. Her horse could stay inside the ransacked church while she slipped down to what remained of the town. They might be willing to trade some fresh food for the trinkets she had lifted off some of her targets. Foraging didn't provide nearly enough meat in the short time she gave to the task and at her performance level she needed more. Hopefully the few people she would encounter were cut off enough from the rest of the country not to recognise her or they were sympathetic to the cause. Better the first. Even admitting they had traded with the Warrior Princess would be a death sentence if the French found out.

"I'm being careful, beloved." Xena picked her way through the debris that littered the churchyard and down the hill. Blue eyes moved restlessly over the surrounding countryside. "Bread. Nice, soft bread would taste good... maybe with honey, and a cup of fresh milk." Perhaps if she repeated that often enough she could convince herself that food was what she was actually craving.

xx

XENA: "Well, isn't that just a typical man. I give you a few smiles and a kiss and you're convinced that I'm in love with you."

There was a limit to how much cold meat and day old bread Mulder could stomach. With the brief exception of his stay in Madrid, which was spoiled by prison porridge, Fox had eaten few decent meals since leaving Canada. Therefore, given the choice between eating yet another bland sandwich off the cook wagon or visiting the inn near where the caravan had stopped for the night... the choice was simple. Mulder could put up with the less than savoury company of his two fellow officers if he could get some still sizzling meat and vegetables that hadn't wilted sometime last winter.

Lieutenant Nixon ordered a massive pitcher of ale but after his recent experience Fox decided to avoid drinking much alcohol. Nixon and the Captain, a fat man named George Hackett, more than made up for Mulder's aversion to the ale.

"Nixon here tells me you're for the South Essex, Colonel Mulder." Hackett sucked the foam off the top of his mug.

Mulder nodded, inhaling the aroma heavy air of the inn.

"That's Major Sharpe's lot." Hackett observed aloud.

"So I've been told." Mulder leaned slightly forward. "I've heard a few tales of the famous Major Sharpe already... How he captured an Imperial Eagle at the battle of Talavera, for one. The Major is quite the topic of conversation in Madrid. Have you served with Sharpe, Captain Hackett."

"Not personally, no, but one can't serve in Wellington's army and not hear of Major Sharpe. It's not often that an enlisted man climbs up the ranks... and to reach Major. Well." Hackett blew out a breath. "It comes from always being first into the breach and the last to retreat, I suppose. Sharpe's not one for taking on easy tasks. I heard tell he took a deserters outpost then held it against the French with nothing more than a handful of men and some creative bluffing." The Captain chuckled.

"I worked under Major Sharpe... when he was a Lieutenant." Nixon offered. "He was assigned to the wagons for a brief time. He didn't have much patience for the job and he wasn't at it long... but Lord did he make an impression. No one wanted to get on his bad side." Nixon chewed at a breadstick. "His lady was this hot-blooded Spanish Partisan. 'The needle' they called her, but I think her name was Teresa. Takes a certain kind of man to bed down with a blood-thirsty assassin."

Mulder smiled down at the table. He could certainly relate to that situation. A woman willing to throw herself into the middle of a conflict, who could hold her own in a fight, was definitely an attraction he could understand.

"His Spanish woman's dead now, I heard." Captain Hackett interrupted. "Teresa, aye. Some scoundrel deserter shot her. Messy business."

An elderly, bent man carried a tray over to their table and proceeded to set steaming bowls in front of each man.

Noticing that they had lost Mulder's attention, the two officers were soon chatting between themselves about the dubious reputation of some jewellery broker.

Mulder ignored them in favour of the creamy mushroom soup in front of him. Between bites his gaze drifted through the lamp-lit interior of the inn. The crowd was an odd mix of travellers with perhaps a few locals near the empty fireplace. Fox noticed the girl he'd seen on the road earlier that day sitting in a quiet corner. Her long, gold hair was uncovered now, making her stand out from the crowd.

A roasted chicken came as Mulder finished his soup. He was half way through the succulent bird when some movement caught his eye. A crudely dressed, huge, bruiser of a man had decided the girl needed company. Mulder feared his pleasant meal was about to be disrupted by the look of the scene. The lout rested his knuckles on the girl's table and leaned over her, rumbling something about pretty Senoritas and leering. Fox couldn't catch the exact words, it being in Spanish, but he got the general impression from what their body language told him. The blonde laughed sweetly and waved the big guy off murmuring some firm but playful taunt.

{What's wrong with right now, Missy?} The interloper bent further down, laying a grubby, blunt fingered hand on her wrist. His considerable bulk actually tipped the table.

Gabrielle winced back from the heavy, sour smells coming from the man looming over her. {Really.} Responding in Spanish. {I've had a tough day and I'm not in the mood.} She had to work at shaking off the weight of his hand.

{What? You think you're too good for me. Is that it, yellow hair?} The lummox flexed his arms. {I got these muscles working the land... putting food in the mouths of the likes of you, little girl.}

{And it's quite impressive.} Gabrielle pacified. {I'm flattered, but no thanks.} Her voice was beginning to loose its musical tone. She noticed one of those red coated soldiers rising and turning in her direction. The last thing Gabrielle wanted was to play the damsel in distress for some self-righteous officer. {Listen, I... }

The giant didn't wait for his prey's next objection. Meaty fingers curled, tightened and pulled the blonde to her feet. {Come have a drink with me, pretty one.} He demanded, yanking her around.

Gabrielle went with the motion, lifting her free hand as she turned. The flat of her palm impacted hard with the drunk's nose at the same time her foot stomped down on his instep. His hand spasmed open, releasing her. {I said no} Gabrielle announced evenly.

The farmer held his hands to his nose, astonished for a moment by the rush of blood and sharp pain of the break. Within a second however he shook of the shock and roared in fury. Bloody hands lifted to catch hold of his tiny opponent.

The annoyed Bard cursed to herself, took a quick step back, then kicked up into the man's groin. When he bent over in reaction a knee lifted hard into his face dropping the giant heavily to the floor. Gabrielle straightened up, rolling her own shoulders to shake out the tension and turned back to her table.

The British officer was standing right behind her staring in shock at the scene he had just witnessed. Gabrielle couldn't resist. She lifted a hand, one finger extended and pushed up on the man's chin, closing his mouth. {You'll catch flies.} The bard teased, still in Spanish.

"What? I don't understand. You... that man... "

Eloquent, Gabrielle thought, almost giggling. Switching languages, she explained. "I said no, several times." Her head tipped to one side and she smiled radiantly.

"Yeah, all right... " Mulder backed up a step, only half-aware he was still staring, like an idiot. It must be his time for falling into killer green eyes, only this pair sparkled with light and amusement. "I thought... " He completely revised his earlier impression from the roadside. This was no girl. Her sweet face and small stature were deceiving, taking attention away from her lean, fit body and confident stance. "... But you're fine."

"Quite."

She spoke perfect English as well, Mulder realised. His manners snapped back into place, straightening up and making him bow slightly. "Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder the third." He announced. "At your service."

"Thanks, but I'm fine, except my dinner." Gabrielle pointed. "It's getting cold."

"Right. Sorry." He nodded. "Nice meeting you, Miss... "

Gabrielle chuckled, turned away and settled back down at her table. She noticed the innkeeper and two other men were dragging her unconscious suitor out the back door.

Fox went back to his own dinner but it didn't hold anywhere near as much interest as it had just a few minutes ago. He picked at the remains of his chicken and waved off the waiter's other offerings with absent attention. Mulder continued to watch the golden haired beauty, admiring her gently curving shoulders, long neck and graceful movements until the young woman gathered up her knapsack and staff. She paused at the bottom of a darkened stairway and gifted William with another one of those blinding smiles before disappearing into the darkness. When Fox's attention finally returned to the table he sat at Mulder noticed his dinner companions snickering and looking anywhere but into Mulder's eyes.

xx

(to Sharpe) "It doesn't do to duel with your new commanding officer"

Sharpe emerged from his tent to find the tea already brewed. Harper handed up a steaming cup from where he sat on his tied up bedroll.

"You spent the night out here?" Richard took one scalding sip.

"Aye." Patrick nodded. "Miss Dana stayed the night with Ramona and the babe. He's much recovered this morning." Harper assured Richard when he noticed his friend's look of alarm. "I suspect the lass is hoping to catch a moment of the Colonel's time... not that she could." He frowned at the tent beside Sharpe's. "His-self never came back last night, at least not that I saw, and he's not there now."

Richard looked up into the early morning sky. "We're to get a new mission today. Perhaps the Colonel has gone to Wellington already." Sharpe took another deep gulp of his tea. "I suppose I should catch up with him." The rest of the mugfull was tossed away.

Sharpe strode off towards the command centre, tugging his clothing into order and trying to fasten up his many silver buttons as he walked. He didn't get half way there before noticing the Colonel's dark green uniform among a small crowd of red jackets. Riflemen's uniforms were so rare in this part of the encampment it was near on impossible not to take note of each other.

"Major Sharpe." Aleksandr shouted, closing the distance between them so they met in an unusually isolated point in the camp. His eyes took in the other man's still untidy state. "No need to rush yourself, Sharpe." No other soldiers were close enough to be privy to the more casual address. "I've already seen Lord Wellington and got our orders." Alek was delighted with the way things were going. He had feared he would have to make a break for it today and risk being hunted down as a deserter or a spy but instead he was actually being ordered out of the camp and toward the French lines immediately. His playful mood manifested itself in a reckless wish to reach across and run his fingers up the intricately decorated breast of Sharpe's jacket. Damn, but the man looked enticingly rumpled this morning. "We... " Aleksandr dragged his attention up from the slices of rough green fabric, white shirt, and smooth skin. "That is to say you, I and no more than a few others are to go out and find a woman... 'La Princesa Guerrera'. Colonel Hogan told me you've a few chosen men that you like to take on missions like this."

"Aye Sir. I've a small lot of riflemen that'll fit the bill just right." Sharpe acknowledged.

"Excellent. We'll be out until we find this 'Warrior Princess' so everyone will need full packs." Aleksandr glanced around to see if anyone was paying attention to the pair of them. His imagination had alighted on just the method to keep the Major off balance while having fun at the same time. "I'm ready to go now." No one was looking. "I'll saddle up my horse and meet you... and whichever men you decide to bring at the north gate in about an hour." By this time tomorrow he may have already slipped Sharpe's supervision and taken to the road to report in. Alek surrendered to temptation. He reached over to finger one of Sharpe's unfastened buttons, briefly brushing warm, bare skin in the process. The action earned him a startled flinch and a confused frown from the older man but it was worth it for the brief moment of pure tactile enjoyment. "This one's loose." Aleksandr tugged lightly then released the little silver ball. "You should sew it tighter before it falls off, Sharpe." The reality that he was the other man's superior officer and his liberties couldn't be violently repulsed or even complained about made Aleksandr smile. The worst the Major could do was avoid him, and upon cold reflection, that might be the best way for Alek to hold his cover and keep himself under control until they parted ways.

"Aye Sir. I'll see to it." The Major backed up a step, a puzzled, disbelieving expression on his face.

Aleksandr paced him, keeping the distance between them the same if not closer. God, but the man smelled good. An enticing mix of cheap soap, smoke, and something indefinably male. "Really Richard, you don't need to 'sir' me all the time." Maybe, if the Englishman proved amusing enough, he wouldn't try to follow Ducos 'kill' order on Sharpe. It would be such a horrible waste.

"Major Sharpe!" Patrick Harper ambled casually up to the pair of officers. His shout preceded him by a fair length. "Colonel Mulder." Harper greeted, coming up to halt slightly off centre and behind Sharpe's left shoulder. "Good morning to you Colonel." He stared straight into the other's eyes.

Now it was Alek's turn to back away, although he resisted the automatic impulse to lift his hands in surrender by tightly gripping the hilt of his sword. "Sergeant Harper." Christ, was that his voice squeaking so pitifully? Aleksandr cleared his throat nervously and inched even further back. "I've a few loose ends to tidy up... " A pack to retrieve from it's hiding place, for one. Alek had stashed it last night after searching Dana Scully's tent. He had wanted his escape prepared, just in case Wellington didn't send them out first thing this morning. "I'll see you in an hour at the north gate Major Sharpe." He walked backwards until he was well out of striking distance before turning and striding off into the bustle of the morning.

"I do believe the Colonel is afraid of you, Pat." Sharpe turned around to face his best friend.

"Of me? Perish the thought. You know what great respect I have for these men who buy their Officer's rank like some trinket off a gypsy cart, Sir." The Sergeant's mouth quirked into a feral grin. His head tilted to one side and Harper's gaze fastened on Sharpe's chest.

"What?" Richard looked down at himself with a scowl.

"Oh nothing, Sir." One of Patrick's eyebrows lifted. "I'm just wondering if there's something wrong with your buttons."

The Major's cheeks and ears deepened to hot red. "Don't say it, Harper, just don't."

Colonel Michael Hogan chose that moment to walk up to the pair. "Ah, Major Sharpe, we missed you at the briefing this morning." The intelligence officer flashed a brief smile. "I was hoping for a few words with you before you left camp." Hogan gestured for Sharpe to walk with him.

They headed in the direction of where the South Essex was billeted. Harper fell into step right behind his Major.

"The mission may seem simple enough... " Began Hogan. "... But there's several layers to it, Sharpe."

Of course there were. Hogan was far too devious for Richard to figure out every twist in even the most straightforward of the man's instructions.

They threaded their way through campfires and tent guidelines. "First and foremost we need you to acquaint Mulder with the lay of the land and bring him up to snuff on the situation around here. His stay with the South Essex isn't like to be very long at all. I've plans for him, so I need him to be able to pass for a Frog as soon as possible."

"I understand, Sir." Sharpe stepped over a muddy trickle.

"Then there's 'La Princesa Guerrera'." Hogan shook his head. "Such enthusiasm for killing as her's... it's for the young." He mused aloud. "I'm hoping you can track this Partisan down, knowing your way with the locals. Did your Teresa ever mention this Warrior Princess? They seem to have worked the same areas."

Richard hesitated. Teresa had been glowing in her descriptions of her mentor, Xena, but Sharpe wasn't prepared to share that much information just yet. "I recall some mentions, yes Sir."

"Good. Good. That's my boy. You can find the woman and bring her to us, Sharpe. I want to know what she's up to next and make sure she's firmly aimed at the Frogs. We wouldn't want to be tripping over each others paths now, would we?"

"No Sir."

Hogan glanced sideways as they walked together, trying to judge whether Sharpe was taking him seriously. All those 'yes sirs' and 'no sirs' were usually a sign of trouble. "And then there's Colonel Mulder himself. I'm thinking that if he comes back alive after spending a week or three with your lot... and if you haven't shot him yourself... well, then he may just turn out to be a decent officer after all." A blustery laugh escaped the big man.

Behind them Harper chuckled. Pat's amusement was decidedly more sinister.

Hogan noticed, but spared the Sergeant minimal attention. "I honestly value your opinion, Richard." The Colonel said gravely.

They approached the cluster of tents that housed Sharpe and his chosen men.

"I haven't had any contact in private with the young Colonel other than a few brief words last night near the cook wagons." Hogan paused, wondering once again why Mulder had been about there so late at night. "The young man strikes me a bit odd. Not exactly what I expected. What do you think of him so far, Sharpe?"

Richard came to a halt, not wanting to be too near the tents in case Miss Scully emerged while they were discussing her fiancee. "He seems dedicated enough. I wouldn't venture an opinion yet, Sir. I barely know the man."

"Dedicated, I suppose." Colonel Hogan looked off into the distance. "I heard he was on the drilling field most of yesterday. How did he take to the men, Sharpe?"

In the barest of whispers, by Richard's ear, Patrick rumbled. "Mulder taking to the men isn't like to be a problem, now is it?"

Sharpe dared a quick jab of his elbow back into his Sergeant's stomach. To Patrick's credit he didn't make a sound of reaction.

"The Colonel seemed pleased with the Regiment, Sir." Richard managed to say.

Hogan nodded. "I did notice the Colonel was extraordinarily happy about having you placed under him, Sharpe."

Patrick leaned forward once more only to have Sharpe take a quick side step and level his most lethal glare at the Sergeant. "Speak a word and you're a dead man, Harper." Richard warned.

Colonel Hogan frowned at the interchange but considering the look on Sharpe's face he decided not to question the threat. "I'll leave you to your preparations then. Keep an eye on Mulder for me. I'll want details when you get back."

"Aye Sir." As soon as Hogan was safely away Sharpe whirled in place and stalked over to his tent, barking over his shoulder. "The lads and us... north gate. See to it Harper." He disappeared inside and the sound of him ransacking his gear came through the fabric walls.

Harper crossed over to his own tent. One look at the women waiting for him smothered the smile from his face however. On the bright side Ramona was happily holding the baby and beaming up at Patrick. Unfortunately Dana Scully was right beside her, scanning the area with a hopeful look on her face. "Hagman, Harris, Cooper, Perkins... " He shouted at the men. "Full kits. NOW! We're to be on the trail right away. We've got ourselves a Warrior Princess to track down so we're going to be a while."

The specified men scrambled after their supplies.

Dana edged forward, craning her neck. "Patrick, where's William? Is he staying in camp or going on the mission with you?" Her hands nervously smoothed the fancy dress she had put on last night in hopes of meeting her intended.

Harper bit down on the flare of anger that erupted as he realised the Colonel had absolutely no intention of coming to see the girl before leaving. "Sorry, Miss Dana, but he's for the trail with us... waiting at the gate as we speak I think."

Sad blue eyes dropped to the dirt and she crossed her arms over her chest. "Of course. I'm sure it's very important and quite urgent."

Ramona sidled up closer to the younger woman, wrapping one arm around her while the other held the baby. "Don't worry I'm sure they'll be back in no time." She lied, knowing what the look on Patrick's face meant. "Here, you hold the little one while I help Patrick pack... then after the men are gone you and I can sit down to a quiet cup of tea and talk."

Dana smiled weakly and took the child, walking absently over to Mulder's tent as if she hoped the man still might show up at the last moment.

"So, is he a bad one then?" Ramona demanded in a whisper.

"I'm afraid he might be, love." Patrick admitted.

Swearing in Spanish, Ramona set to putting together Patrick's kit.

xx

La Princesa Guerrera II

jimcarla@hotmail.com

March 1999
DISCLAIMERS:
Ownership: The characters from Xena:Warrior Princess are the property of Renaissance Pictures and Universal MCA. Krycek, Mulder, Scully and any X-files characters belong to Chris Carter and Fox. The people that populate the Sharpe universe are the intellectual property of Bernard Cornwell. No profit is being made from this fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.
Violence and language: This is a story for mature readers. Seriously folks, we're talking Xena and the Napoleonic war here. There is a fair bit of violence in this story but it's not frightfully graphic. Some of the characters suffer from potty mouth, in several different languages. The violence content won't be too much stronger than your average episode of Xena or the X-files. We also wish to warn you that there is mention (for plot purposes) of sexual violence and child abuse.
Sexual content: Xena and Gabrielle are soulmates and lovers. Mulder and Scully are betrothed. Krycek sleeps around. There are no extemely descriptive sex scenes, but there will be female/female, female/male, and male/male sexual relationships. This story may eventually go past PG-13.
If any of this offends you, or you are underage, or it's illegal where you live... please, stop reading now.
AUTHORS' NOTES:
Our story is set during the Napoleonic wars as illustrated by Bernard Cornwell in his series of 'Sharpe' books and the subsequent TV movies. As our tale begins the British forces are pushing the French out of Spain. Richard Sharpe is now a Major and has been recently widowed.
Xena, because of the ambrosia she consumed (Episode: The Quest), is immortal and has been travelling the world for two thousand years since the death of her soulmate, Gabrielle.
X-files fans will recognise the names Mulder, Scully, Krycek, etc... however our characters have been adapted to the times they live in the and histories we've given them.
This is our first joint effort at fanfiction. Try not to be too hard on us but we really would like to hear your opinion of our work. Feedback can be sent to jimcarla@hotmail.com Please and thank you.
Other websites—http://members.dencity.com/CarlaJane/homepage.html

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]