Go to notes and disclaimers


La Princesa Guerrera II
by Carla Jane and Jim



GABRIELLE: "What in Tartarus have you been carrying on these shoulders?"

Xena lay on a hill gazing down at the farmhouse below as it's occupants closed up for the night. There was something about observing the routine that settled her even as it angered her. Not so long ago she and Della had followed a similar pattern every night.

xx

Xena had gotten to the point of savouring every day in the company of Della and the children. She was coming to the end of her customary fifteen year stay. The people in this part of Spain were going to start questioning Xena's lack of physical changes soon.

The death of Della's husband three years ago didn't help matters. The Spanish woman had come to rely on Xena's help and companionship. It made for a strong temptation to disregard her self-imposed time limit. Della was such a steady, discreet soul that Xena was certain she would let the lack of change pass without comment, or quietly accept it if Xena chose to give an explanation.

The children were another potent incitement as well. Every one of them from playful Migeal down to the round-faced twins adored their Aunta Xena.

xx

"I miss those kids so much, beloved." Xena watched as shutters closed imperfectly against the night. Light leaked, outlining the roughly shaped windows. "I miss Della too... but to think of those bright, young lives snuffed out."

xx

First they lost the house. Xena had battled off the French patrol that wanted to strip the family of their paltry wealth but the torches that the disgruntled men had tossed as they fled were harder to deal with. Migeal had salvaged the animals and what he could of the contents of the barn while his mother and Xena dealt with the children and the house.

The loss was frustrating, but it was only 'things'. The family, the land, and a shell to begin rebuilding about remained.

Time and the war saw to destroying that comfort soon enough.

Xena and Della returned sweaty and bedraggled from an afternoon in the field. Help was in short supply lately around this area. Those few people who hadn't fled the French invasion... or weren't fighting... had their own farms to tend to. Della had been tempted to put her eldest to the task of gathering the grain behind them but someone had to keep an eye on the little ones.

{What I wouldn't give for a soak in a tub of cool water, right now?} Della sighed, laying her sickle down on the stack of tools by the scorched wall of the barn. It wasn't nearly so satisfying to pour a half-bucket of water over yourself as it was to soak, but time and water weren't things to be wasted right now.

{A cold stream.} Xena countered with a tight smile. {Or a lake, since we're dreaming.}

{And a bottle of good wine.} Della added, mopping her brow. {It seems I can't get the taste of smoke out of my mouth lately.}

The two women exchanged a instantaneous look of panic then turned and ran together. Xena's longer legs brought her to the scene quicker than Della. Considering the smouldering state of the ruins, the attack must have come late in the morning. The tent that Xena had constructed to shade the children from the hot sun was mostly destroyed. Every animal in the place seemed to have been taken. The place was in complete disarray.

Della's scream broke the still air. Xena dived into the faintly smoking debris. Untidy bundles that could easily be mistaken for discarded blankets were each carefully examined. Muskets had ended most of their short lives, although a sword seemed the cause of one death. Only one bloodstained heap still moaned with life.

{Della... find some water.} Xena ordered, rolling Migeal over and onto his back.

The sobbing woman laid down the child she was clinging to and stumbled in search of something Xena suspected she wouldn't find.

A gash on Migeal's head bled sluggishly. Xena lifted his lids to find them unfocused. More blood stained the boy's shirt front and hands. The ancient warrior gathered him up into her arms and stood. All the other bodies were lifeless. This one she might be able to save, but not here, not in the midst of this carnage that threatened to send her into a mindless rage.

Later they would come back to bury the children and pick through the wreckage before leaving the farm entirely to join the resistance.

xx

"It hurt to even look at Della after that day." Xena recalled. "I never want to see such damage in a friend's eyes again There hadn't been much worth stealing either, not nearly enough to justify killing the children. They wouldn't have put up any kind of struggle. Of course, the partisans were pleased enough with us joining up. Della had made a fearless fighter, attempting to join her husband and the children in death without the stain of suicide on her Catholic soul." The warrior shook her head. There had been no reasoning with the woman. All of Xena's attempts to protect Migeal's mother were useless. Della constantly threw herself to the forefront of every conflict, courting disaster. "Gods, beloved. It was almost a relief when that musket ended her life and I could concentrate my efforts on taking care of Migeal." At least the boy had wanted to live through his mission of vengeance.

The light level in the small home dropped, suggesting that some of lamps had been extinguished. The warrior had been considering sneaking down and leaving a handful of coin in exchange for a bit of petty theft, but the idea sat sour in her stomach. She just wasn't hungry any longer.

xx

XENA (about Gabrielle): "When I look at you, I see the purest, the kindest person I have ever known. Someone who's full of wonder and stories, and would never give up on anything...or anyone."

It promised to be cooler than it was for the last few days so travelling would be a little less uncomfortable. The late morning sun was bright and the smell of new spring growth put a little more bounce into Gabrielle's walk. A good dinner and sleeping in a comfortable bed had put her in a good mood that the pleasant day was adding to. "You would have been proud of the way I handled myself last night Xena. Your lessons seemed to have stuck with me and you should have seen the look on that red coat's face." What was his name? Oh yes, Mulder. "The look in his eyes when he saw me take out a man twice my size was priceless." The bard realised he had a completely different look on his face when she smiled at him as she left the room. From out of the dust ahead, a lone rider was slowly making his way towards her. She knew that this time Mulder would not be satisfied with just watching her from a distance and resigned herself to the coming interrogation. "Well, it might be nice to talk to someone. The silence is a little lonely."

Mulder dismounted and waited as the girl approached. He raised his eyes and smiled.

"Good morning Miss."

Gabrielle returned his smile. "And a good morning to you as well, Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder the third." She saw the man hesitate at her formal address. "Oh he is going to be fun to tease."

"Um... ah." He stammered, then realised he had been rather ceremonious in his introduction at the tavern. He relaxed and said, "My friends call me Fox. I hope you will as well, Miss... "

"Gabrielle." She offered. "Just Gabrielle if you don't mind. So tell me, if I call you Fox does that mean that I am one of your friends."

"Well, Gabrielle, after seeing you in action last evening I believe it would be in my best interests to have you as a friend. You seem to be able to discourage anyone from approaching who is less than friendly." Mulder replied with a small grin.

"I believe the gentleman last night was trying to be friendly." Gabrielle returned the grin. "Just a little too friendly for my taste. I did try to talk him out of pursuing his interest but he didn't seem willing to listen."

"I can't fault his taste, only his methods." The officer fell into step beside her. "Where did you learn how to handle yourself in a fight? I don't get the impression it's a common skill in the women over here."

Gabrielle laughed. "I've been around. I've picked a few things up over the years." She turned the interview around. "You said 'over here'. Where are you from Fox?"

"Upper Canada." He considered a moment. "That's a British colony north of America... across the ocean."

"That's a long way to travel to join a war." The bard observed. "I wouldn't think you'd have much stake in an English-French conflict." She didn't comment on his patronising explanation of Canada's location. Gabrielle wasn't ready to argue with him yet.

"I suppose it depends on how you look at it." He ran the back of his sleeve over his face, blotting up sweat. "We've a French colony right beside us... Lower Canada. Not that I've ever had a problem with them personally, a lot of my friends were French born. I think Skinner was... and JJ an's family came from there."

"So why are you here, Fox?" Gabrielle used the name a bit like a pry-bar. "For medals, glory, and Napoleon's hoard of gold?"

That got a bark of amusement out of him, causing his horse to toss its head. "I just got this twisted vision of Bonaparte dressed as a leprechaun and perched on a chest overflowing with treasure."

Gabrielle shot him a squinting look then broke into a peal of amusement as well.

"You have the most beautiful laugh I've heard in months, Gabrielle." Mulder informed her in a sincere tone. "I think I should like to hear it every day. It's like sunshine... without the bloody oppressive heat." He mopped his face again. "That didn't come out right. Sorry."

"Nice try though." She conceded.

"It's cooler back home." He shrugged. "And I'm not used to the uniform."

"You weren't a soldier in Canada?"

"Mercy, no." His golden brown head shook. "Father bought me this commission. He said it was time I stopped running about the forest like a wild Indian and acted my age."

Mulder's strides had lengthened slightly forcing Gabrielle to walk faster. She noticed his expression had gone sullen. It appeared as if that was a sore spot. "What were you?" The bard dropped back to her normal walking speed.

"Lots of stuff." Mulder had to stop when he started to answer, finally realising the gap he had opened up between them. "Father had me hooked up with an old colleague of his... for training but a friend convinced me to blow it off. I tagged along with Skinner on a few trading runs out west. We did some exploring for Hudson's Bay. I got into scouting for the army, skirmish work, interpreting... to pacify my Father." He was watching his feet now rather than Gabrielle, almost mumbling. "But I never actually signed up. I preferred the terms of a loose affiliation. Army life is fairly... structured." His chin lifted only as he spoke the last sentence. "Besides, Eyota and the braves were better company."

"Eyota?" Gabrielle coaxed.

The smile was back on his face now. "A Mohawk Indian warrior." He hedged. "You remind me of her. You have a vibrancy about you Gabrielle, a strong spirit. It glows."

"Smoother" The bard commented silently. "You must miss her, your Indian warrior. Are you going home to her when the campaign ends?" She asked him.

Fox shook his head. "I can't." The frown threatened once more. "I'm going to Ireland eventually. Father has a... situation arranged for me. I doubt I'll ever see home again."

"I'm told Ireland is beautiful country." She gave another gentle prod to keep him talking.

"Tidy estates and Old World manners, Mother tells me." He scuffed the dust under his feet. "But I've seen trees that touch the clouds and water that rumbles so loud it's song makes your ears vibrate." He scanned his surroundings, glancing only briefly at his companion.

The look of awe in his eyes was remarkably out of place with his still features and low voice. The shuttered glow was a confidence, not to be shared with a casual viewer.

"And the natives..." He continued. "... are immensely practical, honest people. I got along with them better than I did with the folks in town." Fox stalled out. He looked at the dust cloud ahead of them. An amused sniff of air escaped him. "You're a clever one, Gabrielle. I came back to ask you why you're following the wagon train."

"Did you really?" She offered up a look of innocence. "I was under the impression you came back here to chat me up, Fox."

"Jeez, you're good." Her directness pushed him off balance.

"Why Ireland?" Gabrielle asked.

"Why are you following the caravan?" Mulder persisted.

Gabrielle laughed. "It just happens to be going in the right direction. There's safety in numbers, you know. Why Ireland?"

"You do realise that we're headed towards the British forces, towards the front lines." He obviously didn't want to answer the question.

All the more reason to persist. "What has been arranged in Ireland, Fox? Your next posting?"

"Yeah... " He drawled. "That's as good a way to put it as any. My next assignment." A bit of a sneer seasoned his voice. "Marry the Earl's heir, establish a post, then await the arrival of the rest of the company."

"Ouch." Gabrielle flinched. The cynicism that emerged with that remark completely obliterated the Fox she was just getting to know. The English officer that had stared down his nose at her yesterday returned with a vengeance. The transformation was eerie. "Okay. That's a touchy subject. Let it go for now and try again later." "I'm looking for someone." Gabrielle volunteered the information to coax Fox back out. "An old friend that I've lost track of. Someone who's bound to be in the middle of the fighting."

Mulder blew out a deep breath, lifting the lock of hair hanging over his forehead. "Then you're headed in the right direction. Is he an officer? I've been briefed on most of the command staff." His shoulders were still tight but the white marks on his fingers where he had twisted his reins too tight began to fade. "I'm taking command of the South Essex."

That was a worthwhile boast. Gabrielle had heard mention of the company as she passed through Spain. The South Essex had a hero in it's midst. "Congratulations."

"That's Richard Sharpe's company. He's to be my Major." Fox checked casually to see if she looked impressed. She didn't. "Who are you trying to find?" He visibly loosened up. His shoulders rounded off and his loose gait gradually returned.

"A partisan." Gabrielle definitely preferred this less pretentious version of the man. "La Princesa Guerrera to be precise."

Mulder stopped, turning to gaze down at her in amusement. "You don't set yourself an easy task do you? La Princesa Guerrera has most of the French army attempting to kill her. She's not going to be lounging about in a tavern waiting to be found."

"She's important to me. I need to find her." It was time to try again. He was settled down once more. "Is your family all back in Canada?"

"For now, yeah."

"Won't it be hard not ever going back to see them." She mused, noting that he hunched and his head dropped again at the mention of his family. It had to be some kind of ingrained reaction. She could almost see him shoving his hands in his pockets and squirming although he didn't actually do that.

"I don't really get along so good with Father." Fox finally admitted. "He's got this idea in his head of what I'm supposed to be. Like I said, he bought this commission. I'm his way into the aristocracy. He's got me betrothed to some Irish Earl's oldest daughter so we pick up the title and all when the old man dies. It's kind of mercenary, but it's not much better on their side. The Earl wants Father's money. Then there's Sam... she's my baby sister, Samantha... Father says it's all in Sam's best interest." He faded out. His lips pressed tight together.

"Is she nice, the girl you're going to marry?" Gabrielle looked for a positive aspect in the situation.

"Dana Scully." Mulder mumbled. "Sam's been trading letters with her. She says Miss Scully is just perfect for me." His chuckle was jagged. "As if I belonged with a proper little lady like that." Fox shot a look sideways. "I've always preferred being with someone who could stand on their own two feet, who could hold their own in a scrap. I need a woman like you... or Eyota... rather than a fancy bit of parlour decoration."

Gabrielle pointed with her staff. "Your wagon train is slowing down by the looks of things." This wasn't where she wanted the conversation to go.

No shouts of alarm suggested trouble but Mulder needed to check out the unexpected reduction in speed. "Come up to the caravan with me. Why walk when you can ride on a wagon?" Fox lifted his foot to the stirrup and jumped up into his saddle. "Besides, if bandits attack I'd rather have you at my back than that slug Hackett." His hand extended, offering to pull her up behind him.

Gabrielle considered briefly then accepted. Fox drew her up without any effort.

"Hang on."

"Sneak." Gabrielle thought as he kicked his horse into a run, forcing her to catch at his waist with the hand not griping her staff. "I owe you one for this."

xx

HAGMAN: "We stick together, you see. Ramona is part of us."

Ramona patted Dana's shoulder, attempting to soothe the upset girl. "I know it's awful but I'm afraid it happens all the time." She said sadly.

"The idea that some... brute... was going through my things, touching all my clothes." The Irish woman shivered. "And whatever reason would someone have to steal my diary of all things?" Dana tied the flaps of William's tent closed with a hard tug. "I'll not wear a stitch of it until I've a chance to wash everything that thief pawed through."

"Don't you worry now. We'll get all your clothes washed up first thing in the morning." Ramona gestured to the surrounding area. "No one's going to touch your things ever again now they're in the Colonel's tent. The South Essex will see to that." The Spanish woman's voice held more than a hint of pride. "And it's not like the Colonel will be using his tent while he's out with Patrick. You'll be much better off here with us, Miss Dana. This is where you should have come right off."

"Just Dana, Ramona." The redhead insisted once again. "I can't have a friend such as you've been to me calling me 'Miss' all the time."

The older woman smiled, reaching out to take Dana's hand. "Now you're all settled in we can go over and see what the wagon train has brought in. The baby should sleep for Maria and I'll not waste the free time we have on things we can't change. Come along." Ramona pulled.

Dana couldn't stop the many thoughts pestering her mind right now but she did try to push the worst of them off to one side and enjoy Ramona's company. The coming night had brought a fresh westerly breeze, nothing but her diary had been stolen, and if she didn't have William at least she had the security of his quarters and rank. Ramona was right. Brooding would do no good right now.

As the women walked lamps were beginning to flare to life like miniature stars in the distance. The unloading caravan was a blaze of torchlight and activity amid the settling encampment.

Ramona angled for a point near the end of the wagon train where most of the women seemed to be gathered.

{Ramona.} One of the camp women called out in Spanish. {Angela says they brought some spices in. You should ask for some.} Patrick's position as Major Sharpe's right hand man sometimes earned Ramona perks.

Dana looked over the small grouping as she was pulled closer. She couldn't help but feel a bit out of place in her delicately embroidered, lace trimmed dress. Dana had put the outfit on in hopes of impressing William but that was before the sick baby, her night in Ramona's tent and the riffling of her belongings. Not that she had many practical clothes with her in the first place. She wished her Ma hadn't supervised her packing or she might have been able to sneak in some of her working clothes. Dana brushed at her richly coloured skirt and squeezed Ramona's hand quickly before releasing it. The Spanish woman's presence shielded her from the distrust these women would normally turn on any other officer's woman who intruded into their circle.

Dana noticed another woman within the pool of flickering light who seemed to stand apart from the norm despite being in the centre of the activity. It might have been the reddish blonde hair or that the girl wore pants amid the swirl of dark Spanish women in peasant dresses. What caught Dana's attention the most was the girl's confident stance and that she listened intently to those around her with her whole posture and face, not just her ears.

Ramona had drawn near to the dust stained traveller so Dana took the opportunity to follow her friend into the crowd. The newcomer was tossing occasional questions out into the hum of women's' voices. Dana thought she caught something about 'searching' but the smattering of Spanish she had picked up en route to William wasn't up to the task of understanding the quick give and take.

When the words 'La Princesa Guerrera' came out of the smiling blonde both Ramona and Dana took notice.

{She's a very famous partisan.} Ramona commented.

Gabrielle turned with a grin towards the dark eyed woman who had come up on her left side. {Do you know of the Warrior Princess?}

{Yes, most of the soldiers' women have, I should think.}

{Ramona knows more than most actual soldiers.} Another woman teased. {I think her Patrick must talk in his sleep.}

Gabrielle laughed along with the rest of the women, waiting to hear more.

{I'd like to be there to find out if her Patrick's Major talks in his sleep.} A young, snugly outfitted girl cooed. {He's a handsome rascal.}

{I'll try and remember to tell Major Sharpe you think so Angela. I'm sure he'll want to thank you personally for such a compliment.} Ramona taunted with a gentle smile, causing a few exclamations all around.

{You do just that, Ramona.} Angela tossed her long hair back confidently. {Major Sharpe's been alone since his Teresa died. I should think he's about ready for a new woman in his tent.}

Ramona let out a gusty laugh. {Oh really girl! How alone do you think our fine Major's been? Open your eyes and look at him.}

Gabrielle grinned as a connection clicked into place. {Teresa?} She cut in. {Do you mean 'the needle'? I've heard she trained under the Warrior Princess.}

Ramona's good humour dropped a notch. She frowned at the newcomer. {Why are you so interested in the Warrior Princess?}

The blonde head tilted slightly to one side. {I'm a storyteller.} She announced to the crowd of women. {Would you like to hear a tale?} Her eyes sparkled.

The offer drew an enthusiastic chorus of agreement from all around.

"She's a storyteller." Ramona drew Dana closer to her side, whispering.

A delighted smile was on the bard's face as she began to weave a tale in flowing, liquid Spanish.

"She's talking about a village... early in the war... " Ramona translated for her Irish friend. "La Princesa Guerrera and a small band... they held the French back with nothing but rocks and her steel." She murmured right by Dana's ear so as not to disturb the woman's art. "She tells it better than my translation." Ramona added as an aside.

Gabrielle's hands and body emphasised the highlights.

"The people of the village escaped with all they could carry." Ramona's forehead creased slightly. The bard told the story in such fine detail with brief insights that seemed to make it feel personal. "The partisans faded back into the hills and all the French got were empty buildings." Ramona concluded over the shouts of pleasure the other women showered the storyteller with.

Gabrielle settled back with a pleased smile, attempting to catch the eye of the woman whose challenge had brought the story out.

{The way you tell it... } Ramona was the one to close the distance. {You sound as if you were there.}

{I wasn't, not exactly, but I got the details straight from Xena.}

Ramona stiffened in surprise. {You know her.} She stated. {Not many know the Warrior Princess' real name.} The Spanish woman confirmed.

{You do.}

{Only through Teresa's stories.} Ramona corrected. {She would talk sometimes, around the Major's campfire.}

{Major Sharpe.} Gabrielle prompted, trying to draw the other woman out. Ramona was obviously not a common camp follower considering the way the others treated her and the English-speaking redhead she had in tow.

{My Patrick is Major Sharpe's man. My Patrick minds the Major's back.}

{I'd like to meet the Major. Xena has mentioned him.} Gabrielle took a chance. {Xena and I lost touch some time ago.} She edged over to one side casually, drawing Ramona and the Lady along. A little privacy was just the thing. {I'm trying to find her again. Needless to say she doesn't make it easy for anyone to track her down.}

Ramona hesitated, trying to decide if she could trust her instincts about this newcomer. Her insides had never guided her wrong before. {Patrick, the Major... some of the men, oh, and Colonel Mulder... they went looking for the Warrior Princess. They left this morning.}

Gabrielle's initial delight at the disclosure snagged on a name. {Colonel Mulder?}

Dana had caught the first reference to her fiancee and listened to the words, trying to understand. Hearing his name repeated by the storyteller brought her up on her toes.

{I came in with a Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder.} Gabrielle glanced absently in the direction Fox had disappeared. {That's an odd coincidence.}

{No. No. No.} Ramona's had shook. {That's the name of Patrick's new Colonel. He's been in camp for days. He left this morning with the riflemen.}

Dana was tugging at Ramona's sleeve.

Gabrielle shook her head. {William Mulder was escorting this wagon train in.} She gestured. {I first met him a few of days ago. We've been travelling together since the day after I first saw him. William and I have shared a campfire each night. He's from Canada and he's got some stories I've never... }

"Ramona!" Dana almost shouted to get attention. "What's all this about William? What are you talking about?" She looked from her friend to the blonde and back again. "Does she know my fiancee?"

Ramona's right hand bunched into the fabric of her long skirt. "The storyteller has heard of the Colonel, Dana." She twisted the truth, not really wanting to upset the girl even more this evening. "I was telling her that he's Patrick's new commander. That's all."

Gabrielle looked closer at the red haired girl. This was Fox's fiancee then. She couldn't let Ramona's mangled version of her words stand, not considering the odd clashing of facts and Miss Scully's stake in the matter. "No." The bard switched to English for the first time since speaking to the women. "There was a Colonel Mulder travelling with this caravan. I met up with Fox on the road some ways back and he invited me to travel along with them. He's been with us. He didn't ride ahead."

Ramona shook her head in confusion. "But, that can't be right. Colonel Mulder left with Patrick."

"Fox." Dana Scully bit down on one of her thumbnails. His sister seldom called him Fox. However, Samantha had said his friends and the Rangers he worked with, all used that nickname. "So, William just got here then?"

Gabrielle nodded. "He's about this tall." She held her hand about seven inches above her head. "Earth brown hair... sort of bluish eyes. He has an odd accent, a bit on the nasal side. He's been telling me about Indians, his sister Sam, and how he's got an Irish bride he's never met waiting here in camp." Gabrielle paused. "That would be you. Dana Scully, right?"

"That's my William, Ramona. I'm sure of it. No one but William calls Samantha that, she told me that in one of her letters." Dana said firmly, catching and squeezing her friend's wrist in emphasis.

Ramona grimaced. The Colonel she had seen in and about the site before Dana had arrived had almost black hair and Patrick had remarked on the man's shifting eyes, saying they were a venomous green, like a snake. "But then... " She fought down panic. "But if Colonel Mulder just came in who's with Patrick and the Major. This is bad... very bad."

"I don't know what's going on." Dana's temper and the frustration of the last two days stiffened her back. She'd had just about enough of trying to be the proper lady Da had told her William was expecting. "But by the hills, I'm going to find out. Where did William go?" She demanded of Gabrielle.

"To report in."

"If you'll excuse me then." Dana's chin lifted. "I'm to see Lord Wellington."

"You do just that." Ramona encouraged, pleasantly surprised by the spark in her friend's eyes.

"I'll be to the tents as soon as I've some satisfaction." Dana's accent had thickened. She turned and walked confidently towards the centre of the camp.

"Come with me, storyteller. I know a thing or two about the Warrior Princess that you might like to know." Ramona offered.

"Gabrielle. My name is Gabrielle."

xx

HOGAN: "Stick with me Richard. I'll see you right."

SHARPE: "You'll see me dead, Sir."

HOGAN: "That's my boy."

A light scratching at the material of the tent preceded the interruption. Arthur Wellesley, Lord of Wellington and his first advisor, Hogan looked up from the documents scattered across the desktop. Wellington's assistant slipped into the tent, wincing at the sudden change in light and the intense gaze of the two senior officers.

"There seems to be a bit of a problem, Milord... Sir... that needs sorting out." The young man said hesitantly.

Wellington rose to his feet. "What's the problem. Spit it out already, lad." He ordered as his junior officer squirmed under the attention, looking more uncomfortable than Wellesley had ever seen him act before.

"Well Milord, Sir... There's a Lieutenant Colonel William Mulder outside. He came in with the new caravan from Madrid just now and he's demanding to see you, Milord." The Lieutenant grimaced. "A completely different sort of Colonel Mulder, Milord." He clarified unnecessarily.

The two senior officers were silent a moment then Hogan let out a gust of laughter. "That would explain a few things, wouldn't it? I think that perhaps we should have a look at the new Colonel. Don't you, Milord?"

"Quite." Wellington pressed the bridge of his nose to soothe the sudden headache that was threatening to erupt. "Bloody hell." He swore softly. "Have Colonel Mulder brought in immediately."

"Yes Milord." The youth disappeared.

"It's part of your job to keep things like this from happening, Michael." Wellington complained snappishly.

"Not to worry. Not to worry. This may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise." Hogan pacified. "If you would, please, follow my lead on handling this one."

An armed guard entered at the side of a red-coated Colonel. This Mulder looked to be a few years older than the last. Hogan had been a bit surprised by how youthful the first man had looked, but he dismissed it with the reasoning that everyone's face aged differently. The new officer's hair was a shade lighter and the man's features were much more sharply cut that the previous Colonel Mulder.

"Lord Wellington." Mulder did a quick survey of Hogan. "Colonel." He concluded at once. "I am William Mulder from Upper Canada. There seems to have been a serious misunderstanding." He planted himself solidly in front of the Commander of the army. "I have a note from General Sanchez of Madrid, explaining my difficulties and the reason I no longer carry my original orders." Fox announced. "I was robbed while in that city and it appears as if the thief has used those stolen papers and my uniform to impersonate me."

"Really?" Hogan commented blandly. "And how are we to know that you are the real Colonel Mulder?"

Fox's eyes darkened and he looked almost annoyed with the older man. "I could tell you I was born in Maine and my mother's maiden name was Kuipers. I could elaborate on my Canadian Commander's habit of pouring apple sauce over absolutely everything he ate including his meat and potatoes... " His voice took on a deeply pitched monotone. "Or if you bring me that son of a bitch who's pretending to be me I will gladly do a demonstration of the Indian technique of removing a man's scalp while still leaving him alive to confess his crimes and betray his mission. But it all comes down to the fact I'm Fox Mulder because I say I am, God damn it!" Mulder's posture didn't change, only the blazing in his eyes betrayed the level of anger he felt at the constant challenge he had been receiving to his identity since arriving in Wellington's camp. "And if that's not good enough I'll quite happily turn around and go as soon as I can find something to wear besides this 'shoot me, I'm a bloody target' uniform."

"Colonel Mulder!" Wellington warned. "Remember your place."

"My apologies Milord... I am sorry. It's been a very bad week." William damped down on the anger that threatened to choke him, recalling who he spoke to.

Hogan's lips quirked once then a thick chuckle of amusement escaped him. "I'm inclined not to care which is the real one. I'd rather have this man on our side than that twitchy young kiss-ass any day."

"Milord Wellington." Came the newest interruption from the doorway. "There's a Miss Scully demanding to see you, my Lord. She insists that it's quite urgent."

"Not now Smithers." Wellington waved the teenager off. "I'm busy."

"Excuse me Milord." Hogan forestalled the dismissal. "Did you say Miss Scully, lad?"

"My fiancee." Mulder cut in. "That's my fiancee's name."

The spymaster nodded, recalling something he had picked up. "I knew the Earl of Thistlemoor back in my younger days. You may have met Wallace Scully yourself, Milord. His daughter is here to marry Colonel Mulder. She arrived early yesterday morning with that supply train Sharpe brought in."

"Oh yes... " Wellington's mouth curved slightly. "I've had an occasional encounter with Thistlemoor." Most of which involved taking the Earl's money. Wallace Scully was known for carelessly considered gambles. "Well, let's have Thistlemoor's daughter brought in. The young lady should be able to settle the question of the Colonel's identity."

Dana entered in a fit of fire but upon seeing the Lord Wellington and realising the officer to the left was her intended husband she forced herself to calm down. The future of her family's holdings rested on making this marriage. "Milord." Dana curtsied.

"Miss Scully." Hogan took the lead. "We have a slight situation on our hands. Would you be so kind as to verify whether this man is William Mulder." He pointed.

Dana shifted her gaze to look full on the man she was going to marry for the first time. Samantha hadn't exaggerated, William really was an extremely handsome man. "I would like to help, Milord, but I've never actually met William before."

"So I've heard." Hogan confirmed. "But a few questions should solve the mystery. You must have been told some things about your intended... or perhaps exchanged gifts."

Dana nodded. "Samantha passed along this round, hanging thing that William made. It's very beautiful. It has feathers... " Her voice was almost reverent.

Hogan raised his hand, silencing Dana. "Tell us about it Colonel Mulder."

Fox studied his future bride, surprised that she seemed so pleased with something he had tossed together while wedged in a tree waiting for action. "It's called a dream-catcher." He clarified. "It's a long willow switch bent into a hoop... with beads suspended by thread... woven inside the circle. The feathers hanging off it are from the owl's nest I was sitting in. Frohike, one of the coureur du bois taught me how to make them."

They all turned to Dana, who nodded.

Wellington and Hogan exchanged a long look. Hogan frowned. "That's settled... but this means the Colonel Mulder who set out with Sharpe is a spy." Hogan's thoughts were racing, considering what information the false Mulder could have had access to and how to use the situation to their advantage.

"You sent him on a mission." Fox reasoned out in a crisp tone. "Point me in the right direction, Milord, and I'll bring you back his head."

Wellington sat down, folding his hands on the desktop. This man was definitely closer to what they had expected to receive... an ill-mannered, colonial woodsman. Major Sharpe was definitely going to prefer this Colonel.

"No. I don't think the Colonel should, my Lord." Hogan finally stated, shooting an overtone-laden stare at Wellington. He turned back to Mulder. "You don't know the territory and we can't afford another troop to escort you. They're tracking down 'La Princesa Guerrera', a partisan. They'll be too hard to find by now. Not to worry though, I'm quite certain Major Sharpe will uncover and deal with the traitor in his own fashion."

Wellington covered his surprise at Hogan's recommendation with a thoughtful pause.

"But Milord Wellington... " Fox stared in disbelief.

"I have to agree with Colonel Hogan in this case, Colonel Mulder." Wellington put his trust in his spymaster's mind.

"Miss Scully." Hogan said firmly. "Allow me to walk with you." He stepped forward. "We will take the Colonel over to the South Essex's site, Milord. That's where the other Mulder has placed the Colonel's gear, is it not Miss Scully?"

"Yes Sir." She agreed. "That man... he left some things in his... I mean William's... tent."

"Alex Krycek." Fox interrupted. "He told me his name was Alex Krycek." He didn't really want to admit that the theft had been considerably more personal than a whack on the head in a dark alley, but the name might prove to be important some time in the future.

Hogan paused at the unfamiliar name, none of his informants had ever made any references to a Krycek. The spymaster prided himself on his awareness of French agents, and this one had taken him totally by surprise. Ducos must have sent some one brand new against them. That would explain why the man's face hadn't set any alarm bells off in Hogan's head. Considering the Russian flavour of the name, he suspected the young man had been recruited from the eastern front of Napoleon's war. "Shall we go Colonel Mulder?"

"But... "

"The decision has been made. I don't suggest you press me any further on this matter." Wellington flicked his hand, dismissing Hogan, Miss Scully and Mulder.

"Come with me, Colonel." Hogan led the way.

Fox swallowed his complaints, forcing his expression to one of bland acceptance. He'd had plenty of practice at hiding his hostility from his father back home. "As you wish, my Lord." Mulder followed Hogan and his fiancee out of the tent

xx

SHARPE: "It doesn't make sense."

HARPER: "Not everything in this world has to make sense."

Harper was away from Sharpe's side for the first time that day. The big man was rolled up in a blanket, snoring softly. He, Harris and Cooper were already asleep in expectation of their turn at watch. Hagman and Perkins ranged about the camp keeping an eye on their surroundings.

Sharpe had ghosted around the edges of their small encampment himself until the Colonel had settled down beside the fire. Richard wanted to keep his distance from Mulder after the other man's disturbing behaviour this morning. When he was finally confident that the Colonel was enthralled in the small burgundy book he held Sharpe settled down on a flat rock near where Harper was lying.

It may have been a bit cowardly but Sharpe had kept Harper near at hand all day long on purpose. It seemed that wherever Harper was, Mulder made an effort to be elsewhere. The Colonel had stayed mounted on his horse while on the road. Mulder hadn't attempted to enter any of the places when Sharpe had stopped to question the locals. The man chose instead to lean over and talk to Harris about all sorts of book learned nonsense that had Perkins wincing and rolling his eyes. All in all it was odd behaviour for someone of Mulder's history, but on the positive side, Harris hadn't been happier in weeks. The former teacher didn't meet many common soldiers with his level of education and the officers weren't usually inclined to talk to the like of Harris. Richard decided that Mulder seemed to be trying his very best but it was falling short. Patrick had spent the time he wasn't tormenting Sharpe about the morning's flirtation grumbling that to track Mulder needed to be a damned sight closer to the ground. Richard had been put in the uncomfortable situation of having to defend Mulder's behaviour to Pat when he didn't much like it himself.

The mission looked a lot more difficult than it had this morning too. When he wasn't asking the locals about the Warrior Princess, Sharpe was trying to sift through his own memory for clues. Teresa's descriptions of Xena just weren't matching up to the shadow 'La Princesa Guerrera' was currently casting. Of course most of the hack and slash rumours Sharpe had heard came from the camp or captured French soldiers, not the locals, who seemed to adore the Warrior Princess.

Teresa had spoken of a cool-headed, perfectly trained warrior. Xena had a sparse network of friends that she was fiercely protective of and usually in close contact with, none of which Richard could get a lead on today. Teresa had been intensely proud that the warrior had considered her a friend. Of course the word 'pride' was forever entangled with Teresa's image in his mind.

A piece of damp wood in the fire popped, making an almost shot-like noise in the night's silence.

Sharpe had to swallow a laugh at Mulder's gasp of surprise and the way he dropped his book. That spark of enjoyment vanished quickly as Richard found his eyes meeting the other man's above the tiny blaze.

The Colonel made a faint throat clearing noise then began. "Richard, I... "

Sharpe stood abruptly, catching up the blanket roll at his feet. "I'm exhausted." He undid the strapping around it and made a careful show of laying his blanket right beside Patrick. "Goodnight Sir." Sharpe laid down, twisting to put his back to the fire and his commanding officer.

He wasn't exactly sleepy but Richard wanted to think, not deal with Mulder. Over the years he had perfected the semblance of being asleep when he wasn't. It was a useful skill to allow yourself and those around you a bit of privacy. In the workhouse it gave the boy in the next bed a chance to cry into his pallet with less shame. In the lower ranks of the army, when the man beside you might die in the morning, there were prayers and self-gratification that needed ignoring. Lately feigned sleep was something to give an enemy a false sense of security.

Richard replayed the day inside his mind as he lay in the darkness. The baker Sharpe had spoken to last had heard that the Warrior Princess was killed about two or three months ago. The man had been delighted to discover his mistake a week ago when his sister had come with news that Xena had halted a looting near their home village. That information had Sharpe turning the men in a more Easterly direction. They were in for another long walk tomorrow.

At times, mostly when he was hot or his legs were tired Richard envied officers on horseback. The increased speed and few extra feet in height were almost requisite at the beginning of a battle. Still, after all his years slogging it out down with ordinary men the few times he did borrow a horse it had felt decidedly odd.

A snippet of part of his training speech came back to him at that moment bringing a smile with it. When attacking, the wise move is always to kill the officers first if you can and throw the ranks into chaos. Maybe some French patrol would do them the favour of an ambush. It was fairly obvious to a casual viewer which man made the best target in this group and he was certain all his men would keep wits enough about them to escape.

Wouldn't that solve all his problems in a quick toss of fate's dice? A laugh tickled Sharpe's throat but he had warning enough to turn it into a cough.

On the far side of the fire Aleksandr looked up at the slightly choked off noise. His eyes were tired from the glaring sun of the past day and the small handwriting in the book he held was making it worse. At least Mulder's fiancee had tidy penmanship. It reminded him of his father's handwriting in the family bible.

Aleksandr had skimmed the newest entries first. He read of long, boring carriage rides, frustration at the language barrier, and a few girlishly embarrassing speculations on William Mulder and what it would be like to be married to him. Only the fear of drawing attention to himself halted Alek's impulse to slam the small volume against his own forehead when the full import of Miss Scully's careful writing penetrated. The girl had never laid eyes on William in her life. He had spent an agitated day and one very long night agonising over a discovery that the girl was in no position to make. It was a small mercy he hadn't gone through with his plan to slit the girl's throat in order to squeeze another day or two out of his situation. Best he got out of that place when he did. Aleksandr had enough information cached in his brain to keep Ducos happy with him for a while. He had a perfect escort into French territory. As an added bonus Harris was fine company and Sharpe made for nice scenery. If only he could think of a vaguely plausible reason to dispatch that beastly Sergeant Harper back to camp then the next few days would be perfect.

Alek considered tossing Miss Scully's diary into the coals but if it didn't burn thoroughly... that would raise questions. Besides which, he liked reading the thing. It was a welcome escape from the complications that his real life had in abundance. Aleksandr tucked the diary back into his jacket, set out his own bedroll and lay down to rest his burning eyes picturing how much different things would have been if he was a member of the placid Scully clan instead of who he really was.

xx

KRYCEK: "Then you've got no choice but to deal with me."

Ramona and Gabrielle heard them coming before they saw Dana and the two officers.

Mulder was attempting to explain what had happened in Madrid. "... that's all I can remember, Sir. I think there was something in the wine I was drinking." Fox's face burned at having to recount how he had lost his possessions to the spy. Luckily the darkness hid the visible signs of his embarrassment so his carefully edited version of the encounter seemed to be holding up.

Hogan murmured some non-committal noise.

"I realise that drinking with a complete stranger seems somewhat... beneath the dignity of a British officer and I do regret it, Sir." Guilt was pushing him to say more than he wanted to. "I'm afraid I'm still new to the rank. As a Ranger no one much cared how I behaved." Mulder explained. "I will attempt to adjust quickly Sir."

"That will do, Colonel Mulder." Hogan took pity on the younger man. It was a trifle cruel to interrogate Mulder about the incident in front of his fiancee. The man's flawed story was most likely tailored to cover up the mention that there were tavern whores involved. On one hand it was a terrible pity, Hogan thought. Mulder wasn't anywhere near the adept liar that Krycek had proven. The Colonel had to envy Ducos that kind of operative. It boggled the spymaster that Krycek had put in four days hanging around Wellington's tent with no one the wiser. Hogan shook his head. He'd been spending too much time in the company of officers instead of the field. Luckily Sharpe didn't have that handicap. The Major likely suspected something was wrong with his new Colonel already. Sharpe and Harper had seemed a bit off this morning before leaving camp.

"I've put my belongings in William's tent." Dana spoke into the silence that had descended when they reached the South Essex's site. She extricated herself from the arm of the vaguely familiar Irish Colonel. "Someone went through my things where I was before." She explained. "My diary was stolen." Dana felt the rush of defilement again. She looked to William for support only to notice that his attention had drifted to where Ramona and the Storyteller sat. "What kind of cad would steal a woman's diary?" Her voice challenged.

William seemed oblivious to her distress. However, Colonel Hogan did reach out to pat her shoulder.

Dana blushed. "Anyway, Ramona suggested that I move in over here while William was gone." The light of the nearest campfire was enough to illuminate her fiancee's face. He had dismissed her from his attention in favour of gazing at the blonde bard. A smile was tugging at the corners of his heavy lips. "Too many people were always about the kitchens. Ramona thought I would be safer over here." Dana finished lamely. At least Colonel Hogan was still listening to her.

"The kitchens?" Hogan questioned. "I saw the spy, Krycek, over there near on midnight yesterday. He was carrying a burgundy bound book. I didn't think much of it at the time, but... "

"My diary." Dana exclaimed. "That scoundrel was the one in my tent."

At the raising of her voice Mulder glanced briefly at his fiancee but she was merely yelping about trivialities. The firelight burnishing Gabrielle's beautiful face was a much more fascinating view.

"I suppose it's a good thing you didn't go home last night, child. He may have intended you harm." Hogan reasoned out. "You could have exposed him."

Ramona couldn't hold back any longer. She crossed the space between them with quick, angry steps. "SÂ nor Hogan!" Ramona never did like the way this crafty officer was constantly using Major Sharpe as some kind of game piece. "You'd better tell me what's going on! Who's that man out with my Patrick and the men? If my Patrick's in trouble... " She let the threat hang.

"Dear, dear Ramona. Calm yerself." Hogan turned from Dana to soothe the furious Spanish woman. "As if one man could prove a harm to your strong Patrick and clever Major Sharpe. Really."

"I should go after them, Sir." Mulder tried one last time for official approval. "They need to be warned that Krycek is a spy."

"Doma arriba!" Ramona let out a shout of anger and swatted Hogan's consoling hand away. "A spy? You sent my poor Patrick out with a spy at his back?"

"Colonel Mulder." Hogan snapped, annoyed now. "Lord Wellington made his position quite clear. We've no one to spare to take you out. A major offensive is imminent. We are barely able to spare Sharpe and his lot on this bit of northern foolishness." He gave Mulder a direction. "If 'la Princesa Guerrera' wasn't so enthusiastic in her attacks we most likely would have ignored her like the rest of the partisans."

Dana couldn't help but see the intense look William traded with the Storyteller at that moment. Both sets of eyes were flashing dangerously.

"You will stay here on site and keep out of trouble until Sharpe returns." The spymaster took careful note of the raging insubordination that was creeping across Mulder's face, but he made no mention of it.

"I understand perfectly, Sir." Fox nearly hissed. His hands were fisted at his sides.

Hogan almost smiled but that would spoil the game. The Colonel would be on his way by dawn at the latest or Hogan knew nothing about human nature. If Mulder pulled this off Wellington could be assured that this man was up to the job they had tentatively planned for the Canadian. If he didn't, Wellington had full deniability and a good excuse to rid himself of a less than useful Ranger.

" SÂ nor Hogan!" Ramona shrilled. "Aren't you going to do anything?" She demanded.

"Patrick's a fine strapping man, Ramona. He can handle one little rat like that." Colonel Hogan inclined his head to Dana. "Goodnight Miss Scully. Perhaps over the next few days there will be better opportunities to chat. I've a story or two about your Da's younger days that might take away that sorrowful look you're wearing right now. Goodnight Ramona, Colonel Mulder." Hogan strode off with a pleased smirk on his face.

"If that don't beat all." Ramona glared after the retreating officer. "What exactly is going on Miss Dana?"

The Irish woman's eyes were on William as he stared over at the blonde, Gabrielle, who offered up a friendly smile in return. "The man who went out with the mission is an impostor." She began in an absent tone. How dare William so obviously admire another right in front of her? The least he could do was make some attempt at discretion. "This Krycek person robbed William in Madrid and took his papers... " Her recitation was flat. God damn it, but it was hard to keep up at playing the proper Lady when all she wanted to do was pop the smiling blonde on the chin. "... and everything. Mr Hogan seems to think he's a French spy." Ma never warned her it was this hard to act like a Lady. Mind, Ma didn't have Dana's temper-torn nature to contend with. "I don't understand why they aren't chasing him down." Good, William was going into his tent. That made it easier to actually pay attention to Ramona. "Maybe he didn't steal any useful information." Dana guessed. "But it does appear he was the one who ransacked my tent and stole my diary."

"Mia Madre!" Ramona absorbed it all. "And that one? Is he your real William?"

Dana nodded.

From inside the Colonel's tent came the sounds of fabric hitting the walls and buckles being fumbled with. Mulder had left the flaps slightly open to admit some light. The break in the door provided Dana with intriguing flashes of movement.

'It appears as if your things are suffering even further indignities." Gabrielle commented from her place near the fire. "He seems to be in quite the froth."

Dana's lip curled slightly. She had no desire to hear the Bard's opinion. "He wants to track down Major Sharpe and the men but Lord Wellington had forbid him leave to go." Dana explained to Ramona then turned. She squared her shoulders and walked over to William's tent. A quick tug pulled the right flap all the way open.

William's uniform was crumpled on the ground at his feet. Several weapons were carefully laid out on the cot. He was half-dressed in some kind of leather or buckskin pants of a dark, shadowy colour.

"You're packing." Dana observed coolly, despite the distracting expanse of skin he was unconsciously displaying.

He shrugged into a grey looking shirt.

"You're going after them." She accused, angry at the way he was ignoring her. "That's desertion. I could report you."

Mulder fished a vest out of the mess of clothes strewn about and began lacing it up. Krycek had left all of Fox's Ranger gear behind. "You can't marry a dead man for his money Miss Scully. You don't want them to hang me."

Dana ground her teeth. So that's what he thought of her. Damn Da, and his careless ways. This arrangement kept growing more difficult every moment. "Take me with you and I won't be able to report you." She just needed some of his time to really talk to him.

Fox looked up briefly but didn't respond. He bent to gather up and strap on weapons and an ammunition belt. The sword he had got in Madrid from General Sanchez hooked onto his belt.

"I need to go with you."

"Listen, I appreciate your help earlier and I'll bring back your precious diary if I can." His tone grew condescending. "But this isn't the kind of trip I can take someone like you on, little girl."

Dana Scully's arm pulled back of it's own will but she tightened her self-control and didn't swing. She internally cursed her father's vices once more for putting her in the situation of needing this arrogant son of bitch and his father's money. Dana cursed Samantha for describing her brother as a much better man than this. But mostly she cursed herself for having the idiocy to half fall in love with a man who she only knew through someone else's perceptions.

Fox let out a puff of laughter at her frustrated fury and pushed past carrying a small pack and his uniform jacket. The wretched red monstrosity would get him out of camp if nothing else. The pickets weren't like to challenge his Colonel's insignias. He walked across the site to Gabrielle. "The spy is on a mission... chasing down the Warrior Princess." He told his new friend. "They've got a day's lead on us but I think we can catch them."

Behind him Dana's anger mounted to absolute rage.

"I need your help, Gabrielle, please. If you can talk to the locals... " Fox explained. "... get us into the general vicinity, then I'm positive I can track them down. My broken Spanish isn't up to this, and you know the lay of the land hereabouts better than me." He was trying to learn the language but that took time, and time wasn't something he had to spare.

Dana Scully stomped up behind her intended husband and swatted him hard on the shoulder, making her palm sting. It did turn him around though. "How can you discard me, your bloody wife to be, then have the stones to invite her along on your little escapade." Her full Irish accent overtook the words, dropping her 'H's and hardening the vowels. "I'll not be standing for it."

Gabrielle looked past Fox to take in the indignation on the red-haired girl's face.

"The two of you will not be leaving me behind William Mulder. I've had a belly full of being ignored and dismissed. No more." Dana glared jealously at the Storyteller. What did that one have that she herself didn't? "You're going to take me with you. I'm sure I can be useful."

"Fox." Gabrielle interrupted. "I think you should bring her." The girl was covering the desperation with anger but Gabrielle could see how badly Dana wanted to be with Fox. She recalled that burning need from ever so long ago when she had first pleaded with Xena.

xx

Gabrielle had knelt before the low bench. The feel of Xena's armour was unfamiliar in her hands. "Xena, you've got to take me with you. Teach me everything you know." Gazing up into those pale blue eyes. "You can't leave me here in Potadeia. I want to go with you." Gabrielle had tried so hard to convince the Warrior. "I've studied the stars, spoken with philosophers and I have the gift of prophecy. I can be very valuable. Take me with you. I want so much to be like you."

xx

Gabrielle shook off the memory. Dana was staring at her in shock. Just a hint of gratitude was creeping onto that freckled face.

Mulder, however, was still in full scowl. He had been looking forward to more travelling on the road with Gabrielle, this time without a whole caravan of people breathing down their necks. "She'll just be in the way."

"You don't know anything about me. You don't have any idea what I'm capable of. You're supposed to be an officer and a gentlemen. Why don't you try acting like one instead of tossing this colonial back-woods attitude at me?" Dana changed her tactics. "Ramona." She called the older woman over to her side. "Do you think that you and the South Essex could cover up Colonel Mulder's absence from camp while we go and warn Patrick?"

"Si. For you Miss Dana... " Ramona grinned. "Anything."

"You see what I can do, William?" Dana asserted. "At my word you can go from being a deserter to having fifty people swear 'he was here just a few minutes ago Sir, try the other side of the camp'." She grinned.

"That Colonel... Hogan, he wants me to go. I can tell." Fox argued.

"That doesn't make it official." Dana persisted. "Ramona is there any way you could scare us up a couple of days rations to start us off?"

The Spanish woman almost laughed at the frustration on the new Colonel's face. "I think I could manage a few useful things for your packs... and some travelling clothes for you Miss Dana." She hinted.

"We certainly could use the supplies." Gabrielle agreed. "Bring her along Fox." Besides, Mulder's attentions needed to be gently deflected. What better choice could Gabrielle make than to open Fox's eyes to his own fiancee who was fast proving herself more than she seemed?

Fox closed his eyes and grumbled harshly. "Putain de merde! Fine. I give up. Go get yourself ready. I don't want to have to wait on you and you'd better not slow us down.."

Dana turned and ran in the direction that Ramona was urging her.

Mulder watched her go, muttering under his breath. "Fils de pute."

Gabrielle shook her head slowly and playfully poked her companion. "Fox."

"What?" He looked wearily down at her.

{Did I mention that I speak several different languages.} Gabrielle teased in French. {Nice words to use in front of a Lady.}

Mulder stared in shock a moment, then gathered his confidence back around himself like a cloak. "Clever, Gabrielle." He sighed theatrically, grinning mischievously and switching to Mohawk. The chance that she would understand that were slight. {I want to hear your screams of pleasure when I make love to you.}

Gabrielle had no clue what Fox was saying but she could hear the attempt at seduction behind the words. Yes, he definitely needed another woman to focus on. "Two can play at this game and I know I'm better equipped than he is." {You'll be thanking me for bringing her along when you realise you don't have a snowball's chance in Tartarus with me.} She taunted back in Greek as she walked after Ramona and Dana.

xx

La Princesa Guerrera III

jimcarla@hotmail.com

April 1999
THE FULL DISCLAIMER LIST IS AT THE BEGINNING OF CHAPTER I. Please go and check out all the warnings if you're a sensitive reader
Ownership: The characters from Xena: Warrior Princess, the X-files and Sharpe are not ours. We're making no profit.
Violence, language and sexual content: PG... this contains f/f, f/m, and m/m sexual relationships.
If any of this offends you, or you are underage, or it's illegal where you live... please, stop reading now.
Feedback: We're always up for acknowledgement that someone's out there and pleased... and we'll try to accept creative criticism with dignity. Send it to jimcarla@hotmail.com Please and thank you.
Other websites—http://members.dencity.com/CarlaJane/homepage.html

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]