Go to notes and disclaimers


The Course of True Love...
by Beth



Act 2

Scully walked toward the elevator, amazed at quite how guilty she felt. Turning down Agent Pendrell's offer of a drink had been like kicking a puppy. She'd seen the hurt in his eyes, but he hadn't pushed it; she respected that. Most of the other agents that had come on to her had acted like they were doing her a favour, and refused to take no for an answer.

Any other day she might have taken him up on it. He was cute, in a vulnerable kind of way, and he seemed quite decent. But a careless comment from the oblivious man, about knocking before going into her office, had finally forced her to admit the truth to herself. Now she just wanted to go home, eat a ton of ice-cream, and finally indulge in the feeling of hopelessness she'd been smothering ever since Alex Krycek had invaded their partnership. She needed to watch a chick-flick, have a good cry, listen to "I Will Survive", and return to work with some semblance of normality.

She was actually surprised at how little she felt—guilt over her treatment of Pendrell was currently her strongest emotion.

It'd probably hit her later.

xx

Mulder walked toward the elevator, gleeful that he'd finally managed to make Alex leave work. It wasn't usually this hard—his lover was mostly as eager as he was to return to the apartment, the water-bed, and the array of...toys... they'd collected.

But today Alex had seemed particularly engrossed in a file about some UFO sightings in Utah, and it had taken all of his persuasive skills to convince him to leave it until tomorrow. Most people had already left for the night by now, but they still couldn't hold hands, just in case. But for him, just having the other man near him was enough. The man he loved. Maybe tonight he'd finally tell him.

xx

Krycek walked toward the elevator, smiling as he thought of how much Mulder had whined before he'd finally decided it was late enough that they and Scully would be the only ones in the building. As the three of them walked along the hallway he dropped back a little so that he could admire Mulder's ass. He han't told him yet that he loved him—that he only wanted to make him happy.

If tonight's events went according to plan, Mulder would be happy enough.

Let's see her try and avoid the subject now.

Then maybe he could tell him how he felt.

xx

Pendrell walked toward the elevator, trying to forget the humiliating day he'd had. If he could just get home without anything else happening, he might be able to keep going. One more incident and he was moving to Utah to raise sheep. Nothing ever happened there.

xx

"Hold on!"

The voice called out just as Krycek leant against the emergency button, letting out a buzz that made him jump like a scalded cat. She managed to stop before pressing the button, waiting until the man had entered the elevator. A familiar face flushed bright red as he realised who it was that was already there.

She smiled at him and pressed the button, noticing the hostile look that Krycek was giving the poor guy.

The fact that he didn't like Pendrell made her even more determined to be nice to him.

xx

Mulder was bored, and he was horny. Standing so close to Alex, occasionally brushing against him, was not helping any.

xx

On a dark,dark night, in a dark, dark basement, in a dark, dark van, three men were arguing. The little one said Now? The blond one said No. The bearded one pressed a switch. In a dark, dark place, a little light blinked.

~The lights flickered as the elevator ground to a halt, and the grating muzak (a new idea from sadistic bosses) stopped. The woman gasped, and thought of oxygen ratios and ice-cream. The man with red hair seemed to shrink in on himself a little and thought longingly of sheep. The tall man with golden brown hair tensed and thought of conspiracies and abductions. The dark man smiled.~

The maintenance crew had been extremely unhelpful. When Scully had pushed the button, the buzzer had sounded again, making Pendrell visibly tense. The guy said it would take at least an hour to get to them, and had then called her "babe", putting Scully in a foul mood. Mulder had gone silent, apparentely thinking.

"Krycek...?" Green eyes widened innocently in response to the tone. "Why did the maintenance guy sound so much like Frohike?" The other man couldn't stop his mouth from twitching.

"I really have no idea. Coincidence?" By now Scully was also glaring up at him, while Pendrell just looked confused. His frown deepened further as music came through the speakers.

Scully cocked her head, and almost without thinking identified the "test, this is a test" refrain. "That's a WWF themetune. Test."

Two pairs of incredulous eyes stared at her. The other pair were closed and tears were streaming out of them as Alex cracked up.

"What, women aren't allowed to enjoy physical activity?"

In a dark, dark van, a small man moaned.

Mulder scanned their temporary cell, looking for surveillance equipment. The gunmen wouldn't just leave them to get on with it... "Frohike... Byers, Langly—are you there too?" Soul Coughing's "Unmarked helicopters" came on. They'd always joked that it was pretty much their theme tune. What the hell were they up to?

Krycek frowned. "They can hear us?" That wasn't part of the deal. "Can you see this?" Another song came over the speakers. He didn't recognise it, but Pendrell mumbled something. "What?"

"Um... it's "Middle Finger Salute", by Propoghandi."

"God, don't you guys have anything better to do with your time?" Krycek's annoyance increased as they put on "Stuck With Me", by Greenday. Funny. He started singing. "Go away, go away, today, nah nah why don't you get a job?" Not exactly faithful to the original, and kind of juvenile, but maybe they'd get the point and stop intefering. then again, this was the Gunmen...

It was Scully's turn to crack up as they played Smash Mouth's "Sorry About Your Penis". Now that was juvenile. Krycek noticed how Scully had instinctively turned to Pendrell to share the joke. He'd been pissed at the other agent for messing up his plan, but now he had got a new idea. He decided to have a little fun.

xx

Pendrell was getting steadily more unnerved as the green eyes remained fixed on him. He knew Krycek didn't like him a whole lot, but he wasn't sure what he'd done that warranted this much attention. He jumped a little as the other agent reached out to touch his arm, and frowned at the smoky, almost... seductive tone the other agent used as he asked "So, Agent Pendrell... do you have a first name?"

end Act 2...

xx

Interval 2


Frohike was absorbed in watching the top of Scully's head, claiming that about 5 minutes before he'd seen her bra. Byers muttered "Wishful thinking", and got out of the van. It was absoloutley freezing in the car park, but anything was better than being shut up in a confined space with both the most sex obsessed man in the Universe (but only if the sex involved a certain G-woman), and the most sexy man in the Universe. His breath plumed in front of him as he laughed, as he realised how trite even his thoughts were getting.

Which was why he'd pretty much stopped talking recently. He was scared if he couldn't get the guy out of his head that he'd say something that would give him away. He hardly even looked at him, in case his eyes showed what he was feeling.

The worst of it was that he thought that Frohike had realised something. He kept giving him really sympathetic glances. And he really didn't need that. He tensed as the van door opened, and he felt a heavy warmth settle on his shoulders.

"You forgot your coat." And these little moments of genuine concern, or moments when they were laughing together or when he smiled at him... These were the moments he couldn't deal with. Because they made him feel like maybe it wasn't just lust. And he didn't think he could deal with a love that would never be returned. The other man seemed about to speak, when another song leaked out of the van.

"Beth I know you're lonely, but I hope you'll be alright..."

Langly frowned and turned back to the van. ""Aliens exist" is on the other side do-hickey."

Byers smiled and followed him back into the van.

How can I be in love with a man that puts Kiss and Blink 182 on the same tape?

End, for now....

xx

Act III

banjo_skunk@hotmail.com

Disclaimer: Same stuff applies. They're not mine, wish they were, and the songs are also from somewhere else. If anyone want to sue me, I have 83 pence in my bank account. So... don't.
Summary: The lift makes another appearance.
Again, I have no friends, no beta has taken place, so sorry for mistakes. I would like to thank the people who make breadsticks, for sustaining me through my periods away from the world—if not for them, my stories would not exist. And Rach.
Feedback: Oh please oh please oh please oh... Banjo_skunk@hotmail.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]