Go to notes and disclaimers


The Course of True Love...
by Beth



Act 3

Mulder frowned, beginning to feel a little pissed. In the past ten minutes, they had found out Pendrell's name, the names of his sisters, and the occupation of his parents. And Mulder watched in growing agitation as Alex kept brushing against the other man, or touching his arm... Obviously he wasn't serious. He couldn't be serious, not with the way he treated the lab-boy. Then he remembered how much he and Alex had fought initially... But no. No way. Right?

Then he saw Scully's face.

Heh.

xx

Scully was getting increasingly angry with Alex. And even though she kept telling herself it was just because he was teasing Pendrell that didn't really explain the jealousy she felt when Pendrell smiled at him. She knew that Krycek was playing with him, and it made her feel an absurd urge to protect him... She'd better not tell him that.

She was so confused about what she felt. She just knew that she didn't like the way that Alex was looking at Pendrell, and she felt an overwhelming desire to pull them apart. Judging by the frown on his face, Mulder was feeling the same.

xx

Pendrell was confused. Krycek and Mulder were now having a heated debate in whispers, and he was sure that he had heard his name mentioned. And now Agent Scully was being really nice to him... And then it hit him.

Don't get mad. Think soothing thoughts. Sheep.

But years of repression, years of letting others use him as a door mat, years of keeping his love for Scully under wraps finally made him boil over.

"Just leave me alone, All of you!" Three shocked pairs of eyes stared at him.

"This is just a game to you, I realise that. But I am so damn sick of being treated like comic relief. I would expect it from you, Krycek," the man had the grace to look ashamed, "but I thought that you had a little more respect for me than that, Agent Mulder." He turned away, unable even to meet Scully's eyes. He flinched away from the small hand that was placed on his back. "I know that you realise how I feel about you, Agent Scully... and I would have thought that this was beneath you. You'll have to find someone else to perform for you." He faintly heard clapping from the speakers and felt slightly better for the support. Whoever the hell they were

xx

Alex needed to pee. He really had to pee. Resolve it already! he leant back against Mulder and smiled as he felt the older man wrap his arms around his chest.

xx

Scully glanced away from Pendrell's upset face for a moment and saw the amused look on Alex's face. Alright for him... he'd started this mess and now he expected her to solve it. Seeing the pain in Pendrell's eyes, and knowing that she was part of the reason it was there, was hurting a lot. There were a lot of things that she would have to say to him, starting with the fact that she might just love him... she just wished that she didn't have quite such a large audience.

xx

Mulder's mouth dropped open as he heard what Scully had to say to Pendrell, and he glanced at Alex, impressed. He was supposed to be the crack profiler in the team, but as far as Scully was concerned Alex was doing a hell of a lot better than he ever had. Maybe it was because Alex was so honest with himself about his feelings that he could see those feelings in others. He'd certainly realised how Mulder had felt before the older agent had even admitted it to himself. He tightened his hold on the younger man, afraid that something would take away the thing that made him so happy. He felt Alex press himself closer to him, rubbing his ass slightly against his crotch. He cleared his throat and whispered shakily into his ear.

"I love you, babe."

Alex tensed slightly, then whispered back softly. "I think that's just your dick talking." The younger man sounded nervous.

Mulder spun him around and kissed him deeply. "Alex. I love you." Alex looked into his eyes and obviously liked what he saw there because he smiled beatifically at him.

"I love you too, Fox."

End...

xx

Curtain call

"Alright, we rule all!" Langly jumped up and started bowing to an imaginary audience. Byers ignored him and put his hand on Frohike's arm. The smaller man shook him off and dived out of the van, striding away from them. He gazed after him and sighed. It couldn't work out for everyone, could it? He was living proof.

Alex's voice crackled over the intercom and threatened them with hot pokers if they didn't start the elevator right that second. He reached over and pressed the little switch again.

Langly was unable to resist crowing, and started ragging on Scully for not noticing someone that was under her nose the whole time. He was acting like the whole thing was his idea in the first place. Judging from the look on Scully's face, and the grip she had on Pendrell's hand, he didn't think that she was paying a hell of a lot of attention to what Langly had to say. It was Alex that eventually responded, just before he left the elevator.

"You can hardly talk, Langly. What about Byers? He's been under your nose for years." Byers closed his eyes and lowered his head into his hands. Well... it was bound to come out eventually. He almost smiled at the choice of phrase.

Langly switched off the intercom, and then there was silence. And more silence.

Finally Byers couldn't stand any more, and he grabbed his coat and headed for the door, unable to face the rejection he knew he would see on the other man's face.

"John?"

He stopped with his hand on the door handle and waited. But the other man didn't say anymore. There was just the feel of arms going around him, and turning him to meet a kiss that he had wanted for so long.

End.

But everyone's not happy...

xx

Epilogue

Frohike was happy for them. Sure he was.

So what if he was the only one that was getting nothing out of the previous nights work? So what if Scully was in love with someone else? At least she'd never had a chance with Mulder.

"Why me?"

His voice was almost drowned out by the door buzzer. Unless that was Scully coming to tell him she'd made a mistake he really wasn't interested.

There was no one outside the door, only a big cardboard box and a note.

Frohike—I don't need these any more. Have fun. Mulder

Never before has a box of videos caused so much jubilation.

End.

Now everyone's happy.

xx

banjo_skunk@hotmail.com

Disclaimer: Blah blah blah, Chris Carter, blah blah blah. Smarmy git.
Summary: And everybody's happy.
This is for Rach (again), and also for Tom who still can't believe I do this. Somehow he got the idea that I'm all sweet and innocent. Mwahahahaha!
Oh, and by the way... this is based loosely on Midsummer Night's Dream. Just so ya know.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]