Go to notes and disclaimers


The Course of True Love...

Part I
by Beth


Act 1

"Good morning, sir."

"You asked to see me, Agent Scully?" Straight to the point as usual... Scully vaguely wondered if Skinner had ever smiled.

"Yes, sir... it's about Agent Krycek." Weary brown eyes met hers, and she read barely disguised impatience in them. She supposed that it was justified—this would not be the first she'd complained, and he couldn't be ignorant of the constant bickering that Mulder pretended to be unaware of. Was it her fault that he managed to push all her buttons?

"What now, Agent Scully? Is it any particular incident this time?" It was, but Scully didn't think that her boss would react well to being told that she no longer wanted to work with Alex Krycek because somehow he'd filled her inbox with "slash" e-zines, and her mail box with back issues of "Holes" and "Big Hard Cocks". Mulder had acted shocked and promised to have a word with him, but she'd noticed the sparkle in his hazel eyes, and the barely disguised shaking of his shoulders as he walked out.

But it wasn't just that... she wasn't petty. "His methods are hardly orthodox, and the theories that he comes out with are often even more ridiculous than Mulder's. Last night they were holed up at Mulder's and wouldn't answer the phone because they were watching episodes of "Barney", looking for subliminal messages planted by the CIA. They must have been at it all night, because neither of them could keep their eyes open this morning..." Skinner's snort interrupted her, but he covered quickly with a coughing fit. She couldn't really be that naive...?

"So you're in essence complaining because they're ganging up against you?"

She frowned. Put like that, it sounded so damned childish. "That's not all, sir. I'm not sure if you are aware how unorthodox Krycek's methods actually are. Several times he has made extremely shady deals, and I cannot guarantee that he hasn't broken the law..."

"And yet he provides results, Agent Scully. Agent Krycek seems to have patrons higher up the chain of command than I had previously been aware of, and because of that he is allowed a certain degree of autonomy."

"But what about Sean Murphy?" Skinner's eyes darkened as she mentioned the killer's name. Mulder had been investigating a case a while ago, involving the disappearance of several men over the previous months. One night, he had left a message on Krycek's machine—a sign of trust that Scully had resented at the time—and had mentioned some leads that he wanted to follow up.

It was the younger man that had eventually found him, almost a week after he had disappeared—his body showing signs of horrific brutality. A few days later, Murphy had been found, beaten severely and barely alive. The two agents had been a lot closer since that incident, Krycek looking after Mulder as he recovered.

Skinner replied to Scully's enquiry in a flat monotone. "Sean Murphy is unwilling to name his assailant. And Krycek wasn't the only one with... bad feelings toward the man, Agent Scully." He made a visible effort to relax, then continued. "Unless any proof comes to light that he was involved, I would appreciate you not mentioning your suspicions."

Despite feeling firmly put in her place, Scully ventured "weren't some blood samples taken?"

Skinner didn't meet her eyes, seemingly absorbed in shuffling through some paperwork on his desk as he answered. "Those samples unfortunately disappeared from the lab. And why do I get the impression that if it were anyone else that were involved you would be less concerned?" She flushed and looked down.

Skinner buzzed through to his secretary and asked her to show Mulder and Krycek in. Scully stared at him accusingly—she had been unaware that they would be attending this meeting—so she missed the slight wince as Mulder sat down, his uncomfortable shifting on the hard chair. Skinner noticed. And he looked at Krycek to find the sardonic green eyes fixed on him, a satisfied smile on the other man's lips.

Scully glared at Alex, infuriated by the smug smile she assumed was for her benefit. He had been pulled in off a stake-out for this meeting, and she eyed his figure-hugging black jeans, tight black t-shirt and battered leather jacket. He looked dangerous, looked more like he belonged with the people he fought against than with those currently in the room with him. He managed to lounge and look relaxed even in the deliberately uncomfortable seating available. As he glanced over and met her gaze, she looked away and fought a flush. Even in his suits he exuded an air of dangerous sensuality, and having him so close to her in these clothes was having a dangerous effect on her equilibrium. Not that she found him attractive...

Her tastes ran more to golden-brown hair instead of sable, hazel eyes instead of laser green. As she met the eyes of the man she had secretly loved for years, he jerked his head toward Skinner. Turning her head, she found the older man's eyes fixed on her expectantly.

"I...um... I'm sorry?" She sensed Krycek's smirk without even looking at the other man, and heard Skinner sigh.

"I said, Agent Scully, that I would like you to attempt to sort this out between yourselves. Despite the arguments—most of which seem to be instigated by you, Krycek," the younger man grinned unrepentantly, "the three of you seem to get results. I am reluctant to break up such a successful team. However, I may be forced to do that if you can't settle this matter. Now go and get some work done."

Scully headed off to talk to Agent Pendrell about some evidence she needed analyzed, and Mulder and Krycek entered the elevator on their way down to the—slightly larger—basement office they now shared. As soon as the doors had closed, Krycek pushed mulder against the wall and kissed him hard. Sensing the other man's reluctance, he growled and stopped the elevator. As Mulder's eyes widened in shock, Krycek wrapped his arms around the older man and placed a tender kiss on his lips.

"What's the matter, babe?"

"I... It just doesn't feel right, Alex. Not right now. I'm worried about Scully. She won't tell me what's bothering her, and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose her. And you're not helping."

"You really don't know what's bothering her?" Dark eyebrows raised as he realised that Mulder really was totally clueless about how Scully felt. "What's bothering her is that even though she won't admit it to herself, she has realised that you are finally completely out of her reach. She's pissed at me for taking "her" place, and pissed at you for letting me."

"But... I don't understand. Scully doesn't... she can't..."

"She can, and she does> But it's not your fault you're gorgeous, babe. Don't worry about it. I'll sort it out." He only grinned when Mulder asked what he meant, his innocent expression belied by the devilish twinkle in his eyes. To take the other man's mind off it, he pressed himself against his lover's body and kissed him again. Stroking his hand over the obvious bulge in the front of Mulder's trousers, he looked into his eyes and said " you're sure it doesn't feel right?"

"Krycek," Mulder ground out, "stop trying to change the subject."

"Krycek? What happened to Alex?" He smirked, his hands busily undoing Mulder's trousers. His only response was a soft moan as he slipped his hand inside. Then Mulder gasped loudly as the other man dropped to his knees in front of him and sucked the entire length of his erection down his throat. He closed his eyes and threw his head back as his lover started to move... and despite the sexual marathon of the night before, it wasn't long before he came, Alex taking everything he had to give before he tenderly licked him clean and straightened his clothing.

Ignoring the discomfort of his own straining erection, he stood up and kissed Mulder, sharing the salty, bitter taste with his lover. Then he started the elevator again, smirking as he reflected on his skill at manipulation. Not that he hadn't enjoyed it... but it had successfully changed the subject.

In their office, Mulder jumped him, kissing Krycek fiercely. His hand roved over the sculpted torso then moved a little lower, moulding his gorgeous ass. He only realised he hadn't shut the door when a cleared throat caught his attention. He turned to find Agent Pendrell in the doorway, his red face clashing with the ginger hair and his eyes fixed firmly on the folder in his hands.

"Um... Agent Scully left these with me by accident. I... could you see that she gets them, please?"

Mulder glanced warningly at Krycek—who hated interruptions—staying any remarks that the younger man might have made, and thanked the earnest young agent. Despite Scully's obvious indifference, and Krycek's snide comments about his likeness to a small puppy, Mulder liked Agent Pendrell. He just wished that the guy had chosen someone slightly less indifferent to fall in love with... or that there was some way that he could make her love him back. That would solve a lot of problems.

The red-head left, and Krycek followed, saying he had some "business" to take care of. That always spelt trouble for someone...

end Act 1...

Interval 1 No one noticed as the workman left the hoover building, but he still checked around for a few minutes before disappearing into the basement carpark and the dark blue van that waited there. He opened the back door silently, but was disappointed. Only one of the other men was there, staring intently at a computer screen.

"Surely one day they're going to sort it out," he muttered to himself. Langly's head appeared around the driver's head rest and beamed as he noticed the badly disguised bulge in the front of the other man's shirt.

"Killing two birds, do-hickey?" He opened the door beside him and jumped out, groaning loudly as he stretched and walked around to the back of the vehicle. "You wanna spend a little longer doing your thang next time, man? cos I don't think I spend half enough time screwed up in a car seat."

"you could always sit in the back with Byers..."

"Nah. I'm afraid that he wouldn't be able to keep his hands off my beautiful body, and then we'd never get work done." He grinned over at Byers, but the man was still absorbed in whatever he was doing. The light from the computer screen wasn't sufficient to show the other man's blush, so Langly figured he hadn't heard.

He straightened out his "Sex Pistols" shirt, then jumped as Frohike suddenly yelled "I knew it!"

"Knew what?"

"The funding for "Barney" has recently started coming from a certain company that we all know was set up by the CIA... wait until Mulder hears about this!" A quiet voice from inside the van interrupted his excitement, bringing his mind back to the job.

"Everything's in working order. But I still don't understand why he wanted a camera and microphone..." and then, off the other man's look, "he didn't, did he. Frohike..."

"Why should he have all the fun? Oh, and we can change the muzak, too. Add a little atmosphere..."

end, for now...

xx

Act II

banjo_skunk@hotmail.com

Disclaimer: The story is stolen from Billy Shakespeare, and the characters are stolen from some bloke who's name I can't seem to remember... Suing me would be extremely pointless.
Spoilers: None. I've taken loads of liberties. It's completely outside the story arc we all know and love. Krycek is working at the FBI, and it's "The red and the black", leather clad Krycek, but with two arms. He's working with Scully and Mulder. Pendrell is alive, Skinner is Skinner, and the Lone Gunmen... well who ever knows what the hell they're up to?
Summary: A mid-floors nightmare.
Feedback: Could you? That'd be great. Banjo_skunk@hotmail.com
This is for my mate Rach.
Sorry for any typos, but I went to see the Offspring at Wembley last night, and I'm wrecked. :)

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]