Go to notes and disclaimers


Resurrection and Redemption V
by Ann H


I'm holding onto Mulder for dear life. Seems like he has the same idea. This is perfect.

Thoughts scatter, our surroundings fade away, and each second is an eternity of bliss. For the first time in far too long, all I do is feel. Feel the heat of the body pressed against mine. Feel the soft tickle of his breath on my right ear. Feel the rapid, strong heartbeats that match mine.

Finally, my brain converts the sensory overload into words. Wonder. Pleasure. Complete. Mulder.

Love.

That last thought startles me, and I pull away from Mulder. At the same time, the door opens.

"Agent Mulder, I'm glad to see you looking so well."

I can count all the humans I trust on one hand. Convenient, I know. I can count the aliens I trust on one finger: Jeremiah Smith. And that's only because he's helped Mulder in the past, and Mulder trusts him.

Mulder seems to have reverted to his usual quirky self. "You gonna charge me for this visit? I don't think the FBI medical plan covers dead agents." "Mr. Mulder," Smith replied. "this one's on the house. I would suggest, however, you keep a low profile for a while. You are the first abductee to make a successful recovery: public knowledge of your revival would be dangerous."

No shit. All the remaining players must already know about the disappearance of the "dead" body. Mulder needs to lay low for now.

"Time to go, Mulder. Smith, we'll be in touch."

For a moment, Mulder hesitates: is our fragile friendship over so soon? But then he shrugs easily, and heads out the door. As I rush to catch up, he turns back, and dazzles me with that lazy Mulder-grin.

"C'mon, Alex. You're buying me dinner. Hope you have some serious cash on you, I'm not a cheap date."

When did the idea of following Mulder's orders become such fun?

xx

I've seen Alex Krycek look angry; I've seen him appear terrified. But I have never, ever seen him with a widespread grin that can only be described as... goofy.

It's endearing. I want to see another one.

We've made our way back to his car. This ought to do it.

"Alex, why don't you drive?"

Oh, yeah, there it is again. This is addicting.

"Mulder, I think I should check your blood. Or my sanity."

I've smiled more in the last few hours than I did all last year. This is a change for the better. Think I'll go with the flow.

"Alex. I am human. You are sane. And you have the car keys, so you might want to unlock the doors. I wasn't kidding, earlier. If I don't get fed soon, I'll have to consider cannibalism."

Too late I realize that may not have been the most tactful thing to say. For once, luck is with me: Alex seems to have decided to share in the merriment... or, at least to humor me.

Fine. Whatever works. He unlocks the car, and in moments we're on the road.

"Tell you what, Mulder... I'm driving us to my latest bolthole. Once we get you a shower and a change of clothes, maybe the restaurant of your choice would actually serve us. Or, we can always order in... that should make you feel right at home."

OK, he has a point. I smell. No, I reek. But will I let former rat bastard Alex Krycek have the last word? No, I don't think so!

Besides, I've missed our give-and-take. Especially the giving...

"Alex! Trying to make me comfortable? Very generous of you. Did you stock up on my videos, too?"

Oh, I got him. He's actually blushing! I'm being childish, but, hey, I've been through a lot; a little juvenile humor is well deserved.

Where was I? Oh, yeah... got him!

"Nope, Mulder. I want my couch to stay clean, thank you very much."

"..."

xx

Mulder doesn't say anything for the next ten minutes. Oh, he's sooooo embarrassed. Ha!

It's only as I drive into my parking space located in front of the aging twelve-story building that Mulder regains his voice.

"Alex... we're really not where I think we are... are we?"

Oh, yes. I, Alex Krycek, love irony.

"Yes, Mulder, we really are three blocks away from your old apartment. From my balcony we should have quite a view. Hope the fish are still alive."

Judging from the glare Mulder's giving me, the teasing's gone far enough. And he may not acknowledge it, but he's still weak.

"Look, Mulder, I just moved in last week. I have my reasons, and I'll share them with you when we get upstairs. I'm feeling a little exposed out here. Can we please go in?"

A slight gust of wind, and suddenly he's shaking. My arm is around his shoulder without conscious thought, and I'm urging Mulder inside.

The antiquated elevator creaks and grinds its way to the eighth floor. Down the hall, far right, twist of the key, and we're in.

Time for Mulder to see how the rat lives.

End part 5

xx

Part 6

Ann062863@aol.com

Title: Resurrection and Redemption, Part 5
Author: Ann H
Written: February 15, 2001.
Summary: Fifth part of a series; the darn thing keeps growing, and I haven't even gotten to a real plot, yet! Originally intended as a response to the December 2000 bodyguard challenge, then the story took on a life of it's own.
Rating, Part 5: PG. But, eventually...
Warning: See notes from parts 1 and 2
Mood Music: None.
Disclaimers: XF characters not mine, his. All of them.
Feedback: Yes. Ann062863@aol.com Please?

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]