Go to notes and disclaimers


Resurrection and Redemption IV
by Ann H


"So, Alex, what do we do now?"

I'm confused. Where is 'you-killed-my-father-you-rat-bastard' Mulder? I search his expressive eyes for signs of hostility or distrust, and find none. All I see is a calm, measured gaze full of curiosity. I'm not ready for this.

"Alex?"

Put up or shut up, Alex. "I'd like to get out of here. It's not safe to stay in one place for too long. I have a place nearby we can use for a few days, until you decide what to do next."

Mulder's lips twist into an amused grin. "Me?"

My sigh is long, deep, and oh, so honest. "You. I'm not playing games, Mulder. It's all gone to hell again, and you're the only one with the intuition and smarts to sort it out. I've pieced together all sorts of information, but you decide what to do with it."

This statement earns me one of those rare, heart-stopping Mulder smiles. Eyes crinkle and shine, lines disappear, and I'm stunned by the brilliance. All too quickly, the smile disappears, and I almost get whiplash from the mood swing. The man next to me is now quiet, introspective, and, for lack of a better word... lost.

"What if I make the wrong choices, Alex? I haven't been exactly... stable, recently. A few days ago, I was dead in the worst possible way. These past few months were a horrible mixture of pain, hopelessness and fear. What makes you think I am remotely capable of doing this?"

God. How do I reach him? I can't goad him into this, and humor would only depress him more. I'm gonna have to go with the truth, which will tell him far more than I want to reveal. Fuck. I hate this!

"Why do I think you can do this? Because Fox Mulder is intelligent. Insightful. Determined. He's perceptive and intuitive, dedicated and tenacious. He's dealt with physical trauma, emotional blackmail, betrayals and lies, and fought back each time."

Breathe, Alex.

"Fox Mulder is a man who believes, against all hope, against all odds. And I believe in him."

xx

When I was dead, it was never this silent. It's not that I don't have anything to say, far from it. I'm full of words, suffused with emotions, and they are all fighting for release, caught in a tangle, leaving me speechless.

Alex won't even look at me now. He resembles a young boy who has confessed to breaking the living room window, waiting for the coming anger and punishment.

I could really hurt him now, without raising a fist. I have often used words as a weapon, sharper and colder than any blade. Those scars don't fade. I know. I learned that lesson at an all-to-early age. I bet the Consortium taught him that, too.

Instead I slowly rise from the bed. That gets his attention. I make my way to him, my legs unsteady, but my confidence returning. He doesn't move, his face shows a mixture of confusion and longing. I bet mine does as well.

It feels so comfortable as I put my arms around his neck. It feels so natural to pull his body to mine. It feels so right to close my eyes and surrender to the warmth and strength and feel of Alex. All of my hesitation and doubt slide away easily, banished by hope.

We can do this. We can do this.

xx

Part 5

Ann062863@aol.com

Title: Resurrection and Redemption, Part 4
Author: Ann H
Written: February 8 , 2001. This part is really short, but it took hours. Darn it, this stuff is hard!
Summary: Fourth part of a series. Originally intended as a response to the December 2000 bodyguard challenge, then the story took on a life of it's own.
Rating, Part 4: PG-13. Anticipation...
Warning: See notes from parts 1 and 2
Mood Music: Against all belief, Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear the Reaper." I did mention I was twisted earlier, right?
Disclaimers: XF characters not mine, his. All of them.
Feedback: Yes. Ann062863@aol.com Or I'll write more Yam fic. If you know what that means, you should be very afraid.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]