Go to notes and disclaimers


Resurrection and Redemption III
by Ann H


The truth is out there... and it's wonderful.

Let's start with the basics: I'm alive. I can breathe. I can move, but I really don't want to.

Alex Krycek is nestled against me, at rest as innocent and trusting as a child. His slightly parted lips allow for a partial glimpse of even white teeth. He has let his hair grow: while still short, it now reaches his shirt collar, and a few stray mahogany locks fall carelessly over his forehead. The hair and his dark, lush eyelashes nicely contrast with his soft, pale skin. This sleeping young man is so many people: betrayer/patriot, thief/informant, killer/lifesaver.

For the first time in far too long, my focus was on someone other than myself. For seventy-two hours I concentrated on the words and emotions pouring from my one-time enemy. Distanced myself from the agonizing shards of pain racking my abused body, and focused on his pain. I listened and watched and learned. My eidectic memory has cataloged every word and deed.

I never knew Alex Krycek before. Oh, when I first met him, I thought I did. He was the rookie agent, awkward and eager, who would listen to even my wackiest theories, not dismissing them outright. We were developing our partnership, a balance and rhythm that grew more comfortable each day. I missed working directly with Scully, but in a way my life was perfect: I had them both. Scully would keep me grounded, her approach always meticulously scientific and logical, tempered by her kindness and her generous nature. Alex would work cases with an enthusiasm and spirit that was contagious. I was finally working cases not only to aid my search for Samantha and the truth, but also because I enjoyed the challenge. I was even beginning to think I could have more than my work, let myself experience companionship and trust in ways I'd learned to repress in my teens. Then Scully was taken, Krycek disappeared, and my whole world fell apart once again.

The next time I saw Alex, I was going to kill him. I was strung out on LSD at the time, but that didn't matter. I suspected he killed my father, and, despite my avowals at the time, that didn't matter either. As I bashed him against the wall, and smashed him against that car, all I could see was that look of surprise and fear in his eyes. It made him seem young and harmless, and my eidetic memory replayed over and again past moments of cocky grins and adoring gazes. I was so angry and confused and hurt, and just moments away from pulling the trigger, when it clicked.

He knew I was going to kill him, and accepted it. A small part of him continued the pretense of struggle, but it was there, in his posture, in his voice, in his tear-filled eyes:

//Go ahead.//

//I deserve it.//

//I want you to do it.//

Then Scully appeared, shot me to save me, and Krycek disappeared yet again. I was no closer to the answers I needed.

In Hong Kong I met a different Alex Krycek. Gone forever were the cheap suits and ugly ties. This Alex was all tight jeans, leather, stubble and attitude. Every moment at the airport was electric and heat. We were going to strip away every last pretension and lie, there and then. Fool that I was, I left him alone, just a few minutes, while I tried to restore my own composure. The Alex that emerged from the airport bathroom was silent and cold.

For all my knowledge, training, and acute paranoia, I can be such an idiot. How could I have not known something was wrong? Alex was a liar and probably a murderer, but he always exuded an unchecked passion and vibrancy. My companion on the long return trip to DC ignored my questions, didn't try to excuse or explain his actions, and made no efforts to escape. When we were driven off the road, my head pounding from the concussive force, I wasn't thinking about the answers on the MJ tape. I was thinking about the answers in Alex Krycek. When I awoke at the hospital, he was gone, but I didn't give up. Scully and I tracked him to North Dakota, started searching the endless silos, when we were dragged away by Cancer Man's goons.

He was there. I felt him. I thought for sure Spender would kill him. I would never resolve the anger and confusion I felt about Alex.

Months later, when I unexpectedly saw him with those militia men, complete with stupid-ass haircut, I was stunned, yet estatic. I was so happy he was alive, I couldn't stop hitting him. Scully couldn't understand my behavior... how could I tell her I didn't, either?

I didn't understand Alex's behavior, too. He was sending me information, handed me this bust, and raving about 'destroying the destroyers,' taking down the powerful Consortium leaders. At least I knew this was Alex, and not some alien host. The fire was back, though tempered by strength and cunning. Life on the run was actually good for Alex, he was sharper and tougher and smart; because of that, I had to hit him some more.

As always, whenever Alex Krycek is involved, things go completely out of control. I go out of control. How else to explain incarceration in a Siberian prison, black oil experiments, or the fact that I'm the one that dragged us there? Once that truck crashed, and Alex and I were separated, who would have picked me as the one to escape unscathed? Not that I knew about his arm until much later. Oh, Alex...

I pause my reflections to look down at the exhausted man still curled around me. He's laying on his right side, soft breaths warm and comfortable on my left collarbone. He's wearing the prosthetic; only the hand and wrist are visible as they emerge from the sleeve of his long-sleeved black shirt. The hand rests between Alex and I, the coolness of the plastic a contrast to the heat centered everywhere else we touch.

The last time we touched, he kissed me. On the cheek, the bastard.

He controlled every aspect of that meeting. The note, the attack, the taunting.

//I could beat you with one hand.//

//Isn't that how you like to beat yourself?//

OK, he didn't control everything. I'm still amazed he let me live after that crack. Instead, he gave me back my beliefs. Told me about the rebel alien, gave me his location. Threw me that damned curve ball. Then left. Again.

I'm still not sure if I really saw him or not as I lay, confused and lost, months later in that stairwell. I do know I flew into a rage the moment he and Marita walked into my office with the information about the alien ship. My emotions were all over the map: I was worried about Scully, excited about the ship, energized by Krycek's mere presence, yet he just stood there, calm, serious, aloof.

This time he wasn't going to give me clues, then leave. No, I left him. He had wanted to accompany Skinner and I to Oregon. Naturally, I ditched him... wonder if that brought back any memories for him?

Of course, the joke was on me. I disappeared into that bright light, found myself surrounded by other abductees... and the shapeshifting monsters that would use me in their foul experiments and leave me for dead. No, not 'for dead.' Dead.

The shudder that ran though me just now startled me. It's still a shock to actually have my motor functions back, both the voluntary and involuntary ones. Alex is instantly alert, sits up sharply and looks down at me with his piercing gaze. His voice, overworked these last few days, is deeper and huskier than ever before. Concern and hope color every concise word.

"How do you feel, Mulder?"

How do I feel?

"I feel like a new man, Krycek."

And that's the truth. I'm renewed. Re-invigorated. I have people to see, conspiracies to unravel and a rat bastard to understand. No more hiding from my needs, fears, and deepest desires.

With his gentle actions and soothing words, his unexpected care and all-too-welcome comfort, Alex Krycek's thrown me another curve ball. Only this one's in my sights, and I'm driving it out of the park. Home run. Score one for Mulder.

"So, Alex, what do we do now?"

xx

Part IV

Ann062863@aol.com

Title: Resurrection and Redemption, Part 3
Author: Ann H
Written: January 28—31, 2001. This is getting harder as I go along.
Summary: Third part of a series. Originally intended as a response to the December 2000 bodyguard challenge, then the story took on a life of it's own.
Rating, Part 3: PG-13. Good stuff coming, promise...
Warning: See notes from parts 1 and 2
Note: In this story, I've been alternating point-of-view between Mulder and Krycek. Since I only post parts when I feel like it, sometimes it's hard to keep track. Mulder's turn, okay?
Mood Music: This time it's Crowded House. Doesn't matter which CD... they are all great. If you don't like my story, listen to their music anyway. Trust me on this one.
Disclaimers: XF characters not mine, his. All of them.
Feedback: Yes. Ann062863@aol.com It is a scientific fact that people who provide feedback live longer and have happier lives than those who don't.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]