Go to notes and disclaimers


It's not a Habit
by Amy B


Fox Mulder walked out of A.D. Skinner's office full of anger and hurt that even the reopening of the X-Files could not assuage. Alex Krycek had disappeared. His telephone had been disconnected and Mulder was sure his apartment had been cleaned out. He shouldn't be surprised after finding that damned Morley butt in Krycek's ashtray, but he had held some faint hope that at least one person in this whole debacle would get the punishment he deserved.

Mulder cursed both himself and Krycek as he made his way home that night. He cursed himself for being a fool and Krycek for betraying him. Fox Mulder did not trust lightly— he didn't really trust anyone unconditionally. Even Scully and Skinner were on shaky ground some of the time. Now Scully was gone; abducted— and it was Mulder's own lover who had aided her disappearance and possibly killed the only witness. Even if Duane Barry was the raving lunatic everyone else thought he was, he had been their best lead to whoever took Scully.

He walked into his apartment like a man going to the electric chair. He knew the memories would overwhelm him, and they did. That first night— he had brought Alex home with him and changed their relationship forever. Alex— cuddling with him on the couch. Alex—naked and teasing in the shower. Alex—writhing on the bed and telling Mulder how much he loved him.

Mulder slumped in the chair across from the couch and rubbed his eyes. He knew he should be focused on finding Scully right now but thoughts of Alex kept popping up. He thought about the morning after Barry had taken Scully from her apartment and Skinner had ordered Krycek to take Mulder home to rest.

Alex had known Mulder would never be able to sleep so he had stretched him out on the bed and loved him so gently that Mulder had been moved to tears. He had proceeded to sob out some of his frustration and fear on Alex's shoulder. Alex had been so tender and sweet, stroking Mulder's back and wiping his tears away. Reassuring him that Scully would be okay and they would find her. Mulder had been slightly comforted at the time but now wondered whether the reassurances were just more lies or based on some kind of inside information.

He looked over at the flashing red light on the answering machine, remembering Scully's voice yelling his name in that last fateful message, and felt his heart break just a little more. He hadn't thought it was a possible to hurt any more but apparently it was. The wellspring of pain inside him just seem to grow with each disappearance, each betrayal.

His isolation was even greater than ever—speaking to Mrs. Scully had only driven that point home. He tried to imagine his parents' reaction if he had been the one abducted. His mind conjured up a rather grim picture of stoic acceptance, so he tried to shake that off too, only to be confronted with his solitude-both physical and emotional.

Mulder finally hauled himself out of his chair and went to take a shower. It seemed like days since he had felt clean. The hot water did little to soothe him and if his face was wet with more tears than water he ignored it. He dried off mechanically and went to his room for a fresh t-shirt and boxers.

Avoiding even a glimpse of the bed, he dressed quickly and went back to the living room. He turned on the television for background noise then lay down on the couch. It held just as much of Alex as the bed did, but, oddly enough, Mulder could pretend for just a moment that Alex had never been here. He tried to pretend for another moment that he had never met—and loved—Alex Krycek. He couldn't do it. Alex—for all his lies— had burrowed right into Mulder's heart. So now it felt like that part of him had been ripped out.

He sniffled and sat up. Brooding wasn't the answer but he had gotten little or no sleep in the last days so he had precious little energy left to do anything else. He stood up a bit unsteadily as exhaustion started to take its toll. He went to the kitchen for aspirin then to his bedroom door. He stood there, braced against the door frame and slowly raised his eyes to the bed. The scene of the crime, Mulder thought— his criminal stupidity in getting involved with Alex Krycek in the first place.

He walked slowly to the side of the bed. The neatly made up bed. Mulder had never bothered but Alex always made the bed... and washed the dishes, dusted the tables and bookshelves, and folded and hung his clothes with military precision. Mulder had laughingly told Alex on more than one occasion that he would make some lucky guy a great wife someday. Tonight Alex's neatness was not amusing to Mulder, it was infuriating. He leaned down and grabbed the bedclothes in two big handfuls and wrenched them from the mattress. The pillows flew off to the side, and he scooped them up and threw them in the corner with the rest. He was sure he could still smell Alex's scent so he turned the mattress over. He collapsed on the bare bed, the last of his energy drained. He lay there gasping for a moment before finally giving in to sleep.

xx

Mulder awoke with a hand over his mouth and a warm body draped half over his chest. He was surrounded by a familiar scent It all felt too familiar as he looked up into green eyes glittering in the faint light from the hallway. The room was dark but for that single shaft of gold falling through the door and across the bed, but Mulder could see Krycek well enough to know that the green FBI agent was gone. This man, dressed all in black with his hair rumpled, seemed to be someone else entirely.

Krycek pulled his hand away in a slow caress and Mulder's throat constricted. He swallowed hard and croaked, "Why?" He had a hundred questions and accusations but only one made it through.

"There's a half dozen reasons for doing anything. I can't tell you much. I did try to protect you." Alex's voice was low and gentle and, Mulder thought, possibly regretful. But maybe that was wishful thinking. His trip up Skyland Mountain flashed through his mind.

"You tried to kill me on that tram." He was angry again and tried to sit up but Alex held him down. They struggled very briefly before Mulder fell back tiredly.

"I wasn't trying to kill you, just slow you down. It was your bright idea to climb out of the tram car in the first place. I was under orders but I never wanted to hurt you, Fox."

"Don't call me that! You don't have that right anymore." He was almost embarrassed by his outburst over what could be viewed as a trivial point. For some reason, it seemed terribly important just now. "You rat bastard, don't ever do that again."

"I'm sorry." At Mulder's disbelieving glare, he nodded. "I am. I really didn't want to hurt you—in any way—but I had no choice."

"Everybody has a choice. You chose to betray me, the FBI, and probably this country. And Scully. Where is she? Just tell me that and I can forget the rest."

"Forget? Forget this?" Alex leaned down and kissed Mulder on both cheeks then his mouth. He almost smiled when he felt Mulder's lips tremble under his own. He pulled back just a bit and whispered, "You won't forget. You might hate it and try to convince yourself that you hate me, but you will never forget."

Mulder shuddered under the truth of that statement. Having an eidetic memory could be a real bitch sometimes. His throat seemed to close up as he tried to swallow back the anguish. Alex was giving him that adoring look again. The look that had always made Mulder wonder what it was Alex was seeing in that moment. He closed his eyes and tried to calm down and think instead of feeling so damn much.

"Where's Scully? Is she all right? Tell me where she is... please." His voice had remained hoarse but steady until the last word then it broke. He sniffed and cleared his throat and spoke again, looking in Krycek's eyes this time. "Please Alex. Tell me where she is. I won't ask if I meant anything to you. I won't ask if it was all an assignment. Just tell me where she is because it's the right thing to do."

"I can't. I'm a dead man if I tell you anything. I may be one for coming here tonight but I had to see you one more time. I had to say goodbye."

"You already did that. The last time we were in this bed. There's nothing left to say."

"You're right. I better go." He still held Mulder down on the bed. He leaned down for one more kiss but Mulder jerked his head to the side and it landed on his cheek. Krycek's lips lingered for a moment. Then he whispered, "I do love you, Fox Mulder. And we will meet again. Someday."

Then he released Mulder and disappeared out the door in a dark blur. Mulder lay there stunned for a moment then jumped up and rushed after his former lover. But Krycek was gone as if he had never been there and Mulder was left alone and hurting once again.

The end.

xx

From the song "Not an Addict" by K's Choice and written by Sarah & Gert Bettens -Taken completely out of context ;-)

It's over now, I'm cold, alone I'm just a person on my own
Nothing means a thing to me
(nothing means a thing to me)
It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)
Free me, leave me
Watch me as I'm going down
Free me, see me
Look at me, I'm falling and I'm falling...

xx

Part IV

jb7811@bellsouth.net

This takes place directly after the episode "Ascension" and is a bit of a follow-up to my previous M/K stories, but is totally unlike them.
Be warned: sadness and angst ahead-well, my pitiful attempt at such anyway. Characters property of Chris Carter who probably wouldn't like this. So let's not tell him, 'k? Call this a soft R-no real sex.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]