RATales Archive

Season Six:
Episode 11

by Pic


Disclaimers in Part 1

Comment: Yes, in case you were wondering, the consortium has excellent video people.


FBI Headquarters
J. Edgar Hoover Building
Washington D.C.
Three days after the events of Episode 10
6:02 am

Walter Skinner entered his office. It was early, but he was behind in his paperwork. It was a constant state of affairs, which had only gotten worse lately with the number of distractions he faced. Today, however, he was determined to put a dent in it.

As he walked around his desk, he noticed the box on his chair. It looked like a normal box, but you couldn't be too careful. Federal Bureau of Investigation security procedures should preclude unmarked boxes from simply appearing in an Assistant Director's office. Thus, Skinner called in a bomb threat team and settled in to wait for them on one of his guest chairs.

When the team arrived, Skinner gestured to the box. "I found it there when I came in. There is no indication, on the exposed sides anyway, that it was posted."

"When did you leave the office yesterday evening?" the agent assigned to gather information from witnesses asked, as his colleagues approached the box with caution.

"6:30 or so. I don't recall exactly.

"Anything else out of the ordinary?"

Skinner looked around his office with a critical eye. He could see nothing else that seemed out of place. His negative shake of the head seemed to satisfy the questioner. When no further questions were forthcoming, Skinner directed his attention to the group of agents examining the box. The Assistant Director watched their careful actions with interest. After several minutes of scrutiny, the team seemed to come to a conclusion.

"It's clean Sir. Would you prefer that we open it?"

"No. I won't take up any more of your time."

"Better safe than sorry Sir," the youngest of the agents commented with a grin as they prepared to leave. Skinner found himself grinning back, as he approached the box and opened it.

Inside were two video tapes, marked only as 1 and 2.

***

[Cue Xfiles theme music and several commercials.]

Jeffrey Spender was up early. He had been dissatisfied with his level of alertness in the morning hours in Ohio and had vowed to improve. Thus, he had gotten out of bed, had some coffee and gone for a run. He had a usual route: from his apartment to the park; around the bike path in the park; and from the park to home. As he was preparing to exit the park and start on what he thought of as the "home stretch", a figure stepped out from behind a concrete pillar at the park's entrance and into his path. It was the man who Mulder referred to as Cancerman. Spender tried to think of him in that manner, as he slowed his pace.

Cigarette Smoking Man fell in step with Jeffrey, continuing at a walk toward the agent's apartment. "It's time for us to have a discussion concerning access," Cigarette Smoking man said.

Spender didn't reply. Cigarette Smoking Man waited a moment before venturing, "We both have access to certain things. We can help each other."

"You have nothing I want. You never did." Spender toyed with the idea of starting to run again, but rejected it. He couldn't run forever.

"Always so certain . on the surface. Hidden uncertainties still exist Jeffrey. They simply wait to be exposed."

"By you? I don't think so. Not until you have what you want from me or are convinced you won't get it."

Cigarette Smoking Man merely looked at the younger man, as he removed his pack of Morleys from his pocket and began the ritual of lighting a cigarette. Only after blowing smoke from his first drag in Spender's direction, did Cigarette Smoking Man continue. "Actually, I can provide two things that you want. Your favor to me will entitle you to one of them. The choice will be yours, of course." Cigarette Smoking Man noticed that Jeffrey was interested, although he was trying hard to appear nonchalant. Wasting no more time, Cigarette Smoking Man made his offer. "I can return your mother to you, or I can provide you the means to secure Diana Fowley's affections. Which will it be?"

Jeffrey Spender's heart was beating fast and loud, as he asked, "What do you want?"

"A report. A report on the outcome of a series of meetings that you will be attending."

"Just a report? Nothing else."

"Your insights and impressions would be helpful, but are not a requirement. I would prefer our effort to be more . collaborative, but, again, the choice is yours." Cigarette Smoking Man watched Jeffrey consider the matter. He appeared to have some reservations, but also to be amenable to a deal of some sort.

"What meetings?"

"Meetings regarding Special Agent Dana Scully," Cigarette Smoking Man replied with the slightest hint of impatience in his tone. "Now. Which of the two offers will you accept?"

"My mother," was the barely audible reply.

Mulder, Spender and Fowley reported to Skinner's office. The AD seemed distracted. Fowley was going through their formal report of their investigation in Columbus Ohio. There had been none in Pennsylvania, as a result of Senator Sidel's change of heart and the preliminary report offered by Spender when he arrived in Washington. Mulder and Fowley had made the flight to Pittsburgh, only to catch the next available from there to DC. "Therefore, we conclude that the likely cause of death of the three male scientists was suicide."

"All of you?" Skinner asked upon observing Fox Mulder's demeanor.

"No Sir," Mulder interjected. "They were murdered by a person or persons unknown who were likely working under the orders of Marita Covarrubias."

Diana sighed and addressed Skinner. "Perhaps I could rephrase my summary statement to encompass all three of our views." Fowley persisted in the face of Skinner's skeptical raised eyebrow. "Thus, we conclude, based upon the evidence that we were able to obtain, that the likely cause of death of the three male agents was suicide. Intuition is another matter entirely."

"Mulder?"

"I suppose." Mulder replied, wishing simply to end the meeting. His hopes for a quick ending were high until he noticed the scrutiny that Skinner was directing at him. "Is there anything else Sir?" he inquired a bit uncomfortably.

"I received two video tapes from an anonymous source this morning, Agent Mulder. They're the same type as the earlier two that gave us information about Agent Scully's situation. If you can spare the time, I suggest we view them."

All of Mulder's thoughts of escape left him. He had been eagerly awaiting a chance to apply his considerable intellect to any data that might give him a hint as to Scully's location. He missed her. He didn't care to admit that he missed her more after observing certain activities taking place in Diana Fowley's Columbus hotel room. "I have nothing I can't reschedule, sir."

Spender and Fowley glanced at each other, nodded to Skinner and turned their attention to the television that Skinner had set up. As Walter Skinner put video tape number 1 into the VCR, he realized that he was nervous. He didn't know why. Pushing the feeling of foreboding aside, he pressed the play button.

The camera is focused on Alex Krycek, seated on the couch in the living/dining area where he and Dana Scully had been confined. He was reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee. Scully was nowhere in sight. A light knock on the door was followed, without a significant pause, by Marita Covarrubias' entrance into the room. Krycek looked up, smiling slightly. "Morning Marita. What can I do for you?"

Marita appeared to be considering his question seriously, appraising him as she approached. "Many things," she finally replied as she sat next to him. "But they'll have to wait. Your meeting with Katarina has been scheduled. For later today. I'll be back for you in an hour for our trip by car." Marita Covarrubias chuckled as she added, "Make sure you're ready for your field trip. Oh, and Alex, don't forget Katarina's feelings about relationships between operatives. She's likely to try and recruit your . little friend."

Assistant Director Skinner and Agent Fowley focused on the word "relationship," both glancing quickly at Mulder. Apparently, Mulder's thoughts had taken another path.

Mulder and Spender exchanged a look. It seemed that Marita and Katarina had had the discussion referred to in Katarina's letter. And it appeared to have gone better for Marita than either of the men had expected.

"I doubt she'll be interested. She actually seems to like the FBI."

Marita grinned and with mock sympathy stated, "Too bad for you."

That choice of words took Krycek back several months. To a time when he had spoken them to a frightened boy. Krycek frowned as he thought of the boy, Dimitri, who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. He paid for his bad luck with his life. Consciously distancing himself from those thoughts/memories, Krycek refocused his attention on Marita and saw that she was looking at him expectantly.

"He's been in his own little world," Spender commented. "He has no idea what she's just explained to him."

"Is it Dana's loyalty to the FBI that garnered that reaction or something else? His train of thought didn't seem pleasant," Fowley observed.

"Nothing about Krycek is pleasant," Skinner added.

Mulder was looking thoughtfully at the screen. "Too bad for you," he repeated softly.

"Pay attention, Alex. I don't have a lot of spare time this morning." When he looked suitably attentive, she continued, "As I said, we'll proceed to a secured location two miles outside of the compound. Katarina and her people will be waiting."

"That's too close."

"Maybe. But that's the plan. You and Scully will leave the car and ."

"Scully won't be attending," Krycek interrupted. In the face of Marita's surprised expression, he pressed on. "She hasn't learned anything that they'll kill her to prevent Mulder from finding out. Yet."

"And you've taken it upon yourself to keep it that way?" One affirmative shake of the head was her answer. Marita considered and grinned broadly at the man facing her. "If I didn't know you better, I'd think you had taken a non-professional interest in Dr. Scully."

"Professionally speaking, she's best deployed at the FBI. You know that as well as I do. She's uniquely suited .."

"Save it, Alex. Your motives are your own."

"Fine. Then I go alone."

"No. Katarina was very specific on this point. As were . certain other parties." Placing her hand on his shoulder, she continued in a gentler tone. "Alex, don't fight it. You can't." Holding up her hand to forestall further interruption, she delivered the rest of the instructions. "You . and Scully will proceed along a hiking trail for about a mile and a quarter. It opens into a small meadow. Katarina will meet you there."

"Who else?"

"No one."

Krycek raised an eyebrow, but didn't pursue the subject further. "Anything else I should know?"

"Not on this topic. Good luck Alex." With that, Marita exited the room. Krycek sighed, and glanced toward the bedroom door and then down at his watch. As he moved toward the door, the scene shifted.

As it did, Skinner stopped the tape. "Comments?"

Something had been bothering Mulder as he watched the tape. Suddenly, the realization hit him. "His left arm. It's intact. Somehow." Skinner nodded slowly, his expression unreadable.

Fowley looked from Mulder to Skinner with a puzzled expression. Her eyes tracked to Spender, as she muttered "Intact?"

He mouthed "I'll tell you later."

She nodded.

"He's protecting her," Mulder blurted through gritted teeth, forgetting his earlier wish for that exact behavior from Krycek. "Trying to anyway."

"Ms. Covarrubias' comments as to the nature of Scully's relationship with Krycek trouble me," Skinner began cautiously. "As does the suggestion of an impending effort to recruit her."

"Scully's a good agent, sir," Spender commented. "I'm sure she'll resist any attempt at recruitment, regardless of the form it takes."

"Mulder?"

"I think he's afraid he's being set up. For what, I have no idea. He doesn't like the location, and isn't convinced that Katarina will come alone. And Scully will be in the middle of it." Mulder's last statement was spoken softly, but the others in the room could hear the fear and frustration in his voice.

Silence fell. Skinner noted it, and inquired, "Shall we continue?"

The scene was outdoors in a clearing in a wooded area. Alex Krycek was standing next to Dana Scully. Both were examining their surroundings. After a few moments, their eyes met. Krycek shrugged. Dana nodded. They resumed waiting and watching. Restlessly.

"Tension's running high," Spender commented. Mulder had to agree. Scully generally didn't fidget.

Suddenly, Scully froze and pointed with her jaw to a location to their left. Krycek turned toward where she had indicated. He frowned. Scully placed her hand on his arm to get his attention. When she had it, she raised her eyebrows questioningly. He shook his head once, indicating "no."

Finally, the camera angle permitted the viewers a look at what had attracted Scully's attention. A striking woman in her early forties was approaching. She was dressed much like they were, in a t-shirt, blue jeans and a brown leather jacket. Her expression was neutral, as she stopped about two feet from Krycek. Then she smiled at him affectionately. "Under the circumstances, I won't be insulted if you don't remember me, Alexander, but I would like to know one way or the other."

Mulder noticed Krycek's slight hesitation, but he doubted whether his fellow viewers did. Moreover, it seemed to Mulder that both Scully and the woman he assumed was Katarina were aware of the miniscule delay in Krycek's response. "You seem . familiar, but . I .."

The woman seemed pleased with what she deemed to be an honest answer. "Thank you for your candidness, Alex." Turning toward Scully, she continued. "Agent Scully, my name is Katarina. My surname has taken so many forms over the years that it is really quite irrelevant, particularly in the present circumstances." The two women nodded politely at each other. The mutual appraisal took close to a full minute. "Your taste is improving, Alex. Finally." Remembering the uncertain state of his memory, she added with a chuckle, "Take my word for it."

Fowley glanced at Mulder and Skinner. She noticed a slight tensing in Mulder's jaw, and assumed he was gritting his teeth again. Skinner looked worried in an almost paternal sense.

"Why are we here, Katarina?" Scully asked as her eyes once again explored her surroundings. She felt exposed and uneasy in the relatively small open space among the trees. "Fine place for an ambush," the FBI agent thought.

"Why indeed?" Katarina began rhetorically, before turning to Scully. "Thank you, my dear. I do tend to prolong introductions, and we have no time for that today. If I digress again, please don't hesitate to step in. Now then .."

"Before we go any further, we need to clarify something," Krycek interrupted. "Agent Scully plans to return to the FBI. Any information that'll prevent that, only I hear. Ok?" Scully frowned, but said nothing. Katarina merely nodded.

"Very protective," Fowley commented, as she noticed Mulder's displeased expression. Fox Mulder now remembered that he had been fervently hoping that Krycek would protect Scully. Witnessing his wish come true bothered him. Fundamentally.

"Agent Scully doesn't seem to care for it," Skinner noted with pride.

"If there is nothing else, I'll begin." Katarina had adopted a clipped, no nonsense tone, but Mulder observed that she seemed to be amused by the fact that Scully and Krycek had unconsciously shifted their relative positions.

"Watching each other's back," Spender commented. "Standard FBI procedure for two agents in a potentially hostile environment."

"Unlike most of the people you've recently encountered, Alex, I'm not seeking information. My purpose is to provide it. Your British friend has placed you in a very interesting position. Your smoking colleague is, as usual, running several interrelated, and sometimes mutually exclusive, operations. As part of those dealings, he placed the two of you together." Katarina scrutinized the two individuals she was addressing and seemed satisfied in some manner with what she saw. "Occasionally, he has an inspired moment."

Fowley glanced at Mulder, and knew that he had seen the look exchanged between his current and former partners. Alex looked annoyed. Dana looked surprised and, perhaps, a little afraid. When they turned back toward Katarina, they each wore their own version of a "What of it?" expression.

"Inspired," Katarina repeated with a winning smile. "His interrelated operations are, by their nature, amenable only to a certain level of control. Outcomes of individual ops are uncertain. Too many variables. Not enough equations. Some of those operations will, or already have, become Xfiles. Agent Mulder is continuing his work, with some of his associates and as much support as Assistant Director Skinner can muster. That level of support will increase in the coming months, since Mr. Skinner has recently made contact with certain high level personages."

The three agents looked at Skinner questioningly. He merely gestured toward the screen and pointedly directed his attention to it. The strong suggestion that they follow suit was not ignored.

"Other operations will resemble assignments of the type that you have become more familiar with, Alexander. They will not require your talents, however. Still other of his machinations are more general in scope. More global in implementation and impact. Then, there are operations like this one."

Krycek, Scully and the viewers all heard the change in Katarina's voice and demeanor. Her last statement had been delivered in a near whisper tinged with what sounded like regret or, perhaps, resignation. "This particular operation required the cooperation of interests that have traditionally been at odds. A common cause sometimes produces unusual alliances, don't you agree?"

Scully chose to answer that loaded question with one of her own. "What cause?"

All business now, Katarina's voice was hard. "Regaining a role in our future, Agent Scully. A meaningful role. One other than that of vehicle or incubator. Do you recall enough to verify, Alex?"

"That's what the old man was after." As he spoke, Alex focused on Dana. "Partly because there are those that can serve neither purpose."

Alex's tone and expression seemed to be implying that Dana was one of the "those." Also, what he had told her of the two strains of the black oil virus was consistent with Katarina's stated uses. In her adult life, Dana Scully had never thought of herself as useless. When she considered carefully, the reason became clear. "The vaccine. I have antibodies in my system."

"So do I. Another thing we have in common."

"Being useless?"

Krycek smiled ruefully and nodded, before adding, "And expendable."

Agent Fowley noted that Katarina had simply observed this exchange. The woman seemed pleased with the way they worked together. She appeared to be... hopeful.

Fox Mulder's attention was completely focused on the screen. The topics they discussed so casually were ones of great interest to him. At this moment, Mulder would've given anything he possessed or could beg, borrow or steal to have 24 hours to question Alex Krycek. And some sort of truth serum. Spender's attention was focused only slightly less narrowly. Skinner and Fowley exchanged a glance, acknowledging the intensity of both of the younger men.

"Why are you here?" Krycek asked.

"To provide information and advice. Let me continue, Alex, time is growing short." Krycek nodded, by that gesture agreeing to postpone his next question. "The group that has managed the interactions with our ... neighbors has become splintered. They have also become more interested in personal power than in their responsibilities. A body of overseers, formed when concerns regarding improper management were first raised, have become ... dissatisfied."

Mulder noticed Krycek nodding in agreement. "I need access to what he knows," the Special Agent thought once again.

"The management group is no longer suitable. Replacement is required. That is your mission goal, Alexander."

"Assets?" Fowley noted Scully's look of alarm. So did Krycek. "I haven't agreed to anything, Dana. I need to know what she's asking first."

"Dana?" Mulder repeated questioningly. "He calls her Dana? No one outside of her family calls her that."

"A primary asset is standing to your right."

Scully was standing there.

"No." Krycek's answer was definite. Final.

"What happened to finding out what she's asking first?"

Alex looked at Dana, preparing to make defend his position. Before he began to speak, he seemed to notice what Mulder did concerning Dana. Her posture and expression connoted defiance and ... anger ... and humiliation that he had answered for her. Facing Katarina again, he sighed and muttered, "It seems I've presumed, without sufficient information, the status of a potential primary asset. Continue."

"Smart boy." The men looked at Agent Fowley with some hostility. "C'mon guys. She's in this "operation" up to her eyeballs. It's her decision." Fowley had to grin at the varied grunts of disagreement she received.

"There will be surviving operatives. They will make themselves known to you. Your memory loss may make it a bit more challenging for them. Also, ..."

"You expect casualties today?" Krycek's tone was conversational, but his eyes were everywhere, evaluating their options.

"I've already lost Dimitri, Alexander, and today ... I'll lose the people that made this meeting possible. All of them." Katarina watched Krycek's face with interest. So did Mulder. Krycek had not yet regained his ability to hide his emotions. Mulder saw Krycek's eyes widen a moment before he himself realized that Katarina was likely including herself among the casualties-to-be.

Katarina resumed. "It was the only way to deliver this information in a controlled way. We got a few steps ahead. The group may be slow, but they are exceedingly thorough. If you don't remember that, you will." Faced with a stubborn and defiant Alex Krycek, Katarina moved closer and took his chin in her hand to tilt his head to an angle allowing her to look him in the eye. "You and I have been through much together. I have found the experience worth the trouble, and I hope you'll feel the same when you remember. Those ... adventures end today. I believe I leave you in capable hands."

Krycek didn't appear to register Katarina's glance at Scully. The woman in question and the viewers did, however. "Look, Kat. Just go. Go now. We can figure it out from here."

Katarina smiled, signaling to Mulder that Alex had recalled her nickname. The special agent didn't like Krycek's pronoun choice though.

Katarina slowly shook her head. "You know that's not possible, Alexander. One of the lessons I tried to teach you was to accept what can't be changed."

"I find the trend toward self-sacrifice on my behalf disturbing. I feel like ...." Krycek stopped abruptly, took a deep breath, trying to calm down.

Ignoring his struggle for control, Katarina tentatively finished his sentence for him. "Mulder?"

Fox Mulder was as surprised as Alex Krycek looked. Actually, more so. His surprise was fueled by Alex's reluctant affirmative nod. Purposefully pushing the notion away for later analysis, Mulder returned his attention to the screen.

"The two of you are more similar than either of you think. Agent Scully is in a position to know, Alexander. Ask her in a less hectic moment." Both Krycek and Mulder looked at Scully, who was nodding affirmatively, before their attention was drawn back to Katarina.

"Your other assets include the information you possess, including that which you don't yet remember, your training and your experience. The smoker will aid, if it suits him. Another asset is ... Mulder."

"Give me a break. Mulder doesn't assist. That's what other people are for."

"If you accept nothing else of what I tell you today, you must accept this Alex. You need Mulder. He can see patterns and connections you cannot. In turn, Mulder needs you. You have information and experience that he does not. Is that clear?" When she received no response and observed the calculating look in his eyes as he scanned the tree line, she spoke with desperate intensity. "Stop looking for a way out for me! There is none. Do you think I haven't considered all the possibilities?"

Krycek actually blushed at the rebuke in her tone. "Need Mulder. Got it."

"Agent Scully, please use whatever influence you have with this ruffian in this regard. It's important." Satisfied with Scully's affirmative nod and obviously approving of her action in grasping Alex's arm just above the elbow, Katarina smiled and backed away from the pair slightly. "I have made some arrangements that will allow you to operate more freely, particularly in the United States, Alexander. Sufficient capital will be made available in the usual manner."

Krycek nodded and instinctively moved to close the distance, as Katarina moved further from he and Dana. Mulder could see the internal struggle, as Krycek complied, more or less, with Katarina's "no" and Scully's restraining hand.

Katarina continued, "The Overseers may contact you. Either of you. Unfortunately, I am not privy to any means of identifying them. You will have to rely on your instincts. Failing that, the persons who have made contact with Assistant Director Skinner could likely identify them."

Katarina continued to back away. "The fact that you are standing together today indicates that you have, to an extent, reevaluated the past. One of you by necessity. The other by choice. You must continue in that fashion. Everything that has gone before must be reexamined. Accepted premises must be tested. Traditional alliances must be looked upon with new eyes. Things have changed." With that, Katarina sighed in what appeared to the viewers to be relief. "I've said all that I came to say. Regrettably, no time for questions. Take care. Both of you. Alexander, when you see Katya, tell her I love her."

Krycek could only nod. Scully looked at Katarina with respect. The sound of gunfire was heard from the direction in which they had left their vehicle. "Marita," Alex murmured as he turned toward the sound.

"She served well ... in the end." Krycek's attention returned immediately to Katarina, as the sound of gunfire got closer. Presumably, the sentries and other operatives Katarina had brought with her were under attack.

The whole scene seemed surreal to Scully. Katarina had retreated to a rise above them and appeared simply to be waiting. Dana tightened her grip on Alex's arm, and sensed his turmoil. Frustration and helplessness was evident on his face. He didn't react, as weapons were fired in the clearing. Alarmed, Scully, in her best imitation of a very undersized middle linebacker, knocked Krycek to the ground to ensure he was out of the line of fire.

Scully had her arms around him, as they observed the scene before them. Alex stared at Katarina's body. He frowned when he saw what he assumed to be the Consortium's soldiers approach her. Gently, he extricated himself from Dana's grasp, stood and moved toward Katarina. He had only gotten a step, when a young man shoved a semi-automatic weapon in his face and told him not to move. At one level, Alex was interested that he hadn't noticed the soldiers surrounding him and Dana. At another, he realized that they were irrelevant. Krycek glared at the young man between him and his objective and ordered, "Out of my way." Something in his tone or his demeanor convinced the soldier that there was no harm in allowing the man to move about a little bit.

Krycek walked toward Katarina's body and knelt down beside it. Daring the soldiers close to her to stop him, he turned her head toward him. Only half of her face remained. Alex Krycek stared at the body for a long time. Long enough to make the soldiers very nervous. Then he stood and turned. His face was cold ... devoid of emotion.

The tape ended.

End Of Episode 11

Continued in Episode 12