RATales Archive

Season Six:
Episode 12

by Pic


Disclaimers in Part 1


A military installation
North Dakota
12:32 pm

Two men in black suits approached a military installation. They entered and continued along their way at a brisk pace. The men were silent and encountered only a few people in military uniforms. The installation seemed to be grossly understaffed.

"This way Sir," the younger of the suited men instructed, as his companion turned in the incorrect direction. The older man reversed direction, and they continued along their way. After several turns and a long elevator descent, the two men came to a check point. The check point was manned by an officer responsible for the actual verification procedure, and three visible armed enlisted men.

As they neared their goal, each of the suited men produced an identification card. They handed them to the officer, who visually compared the men with their photos. Satisfied, he then scanned the older man's card, and gestured for the man to place his left hand on what looked to be a black mouse pad. The older man did so. The officer's monitor showed green. The officer waved the older man through, and began to repeat the procedure with regard to the younger man. This time, the officer's monitor showed red.

The guards came instantly alert and focused on the younger man. The object of their attention frowned, sighed and prepared to repeat the procedure. The older man drew his weapon and efficiently gunned down the armed men. The younger man slit the throat of the officer, who had made the fatal mistake of turning toward his companions. The older man then proceeded down the hallway, regretting that the accelerated timetable for this operation had apparently led to an error. The younger man collected the semi-automatic weapons and prepared to hold off the reinforcements, with the knowledge that escape was now impossible.

The older man reached the missile silo. It had been decommissioned. While it was designed for missiles, it had housed various other items. An alien ship. A frightened human. Scientific equipment. Excavation devices and cutting tools. Currently, it held a highly advanced communication facility. The only identification was the number 1013.

They had timed their mission well. There were no personnel in the silo, when the older man reached it. The older man scanned the computer equipment, located an appropriate unit (one that had certain capabilities and was already running a program to avoid the inconvenience of dealing with password-protected access), sat before it and began entering commands. As the computer established an "uplink" and began transferring data to an offsite unit, gunfire began.

The older man smiled coldly, as he drew his weapon and moved to join his partner's delaying tactics.

***

[Cue Xfiles theme music and several commercials.]

"Status report," the First Elder demanded of the young man that had just entered the meeting room.

"All of Katarina's people at the rendezvous point were eliminated. Dimitri had been previously eliminated. One of her strike teams was eliminated early this afternoon in North Dakota. Various personnel in Washington DC, New York, Dallas, San Diego, Paris, Rome, Moscow and Berlin have also been eliminated. We estimate that we have accounted for approximately 70 percent of her people. Without leadership, an organization as scattered as hers will crumble."

"We must assume that she consolidated operations before embarking on her futile assault on us. We must further assume that she instructed Krycek to pick up the pieces. Your views?"

The young man considered for a moment, before responding, "I don't think so. Krycek has never led anything larger than a team of six in Katarina's organization. They won't follow him. Not now."

"I have to disagree," Marleton interrupted. "They'll follow him, because there's no choice. They'll accept him, particularly if Katya does." Marleton didn't miss the First Elder's slight reaction to the young woman's name. Marita had not been mourned long.

The young man responded, "I see no reason why Katya would accept Krycek. She could run the organization herself."

In order to encourage, rather than stifle, assertive behavior, the First Elder corrected, "She will accept him, if Katarina instructed her to do so. Initially. If he does not perform to her satisfaction or exposes her colleagues to what she perceives to be unnecessary risk, she will withdraw her support. Your task," the First Elder instructed the young man, "Is to ensure that Alex faces many challenges in his new role. You may co-opt whatever resources you deem necessary to accomplish it."

Frustration evident, Marleton stated, "I must repeat my emphatic disapproval. The risk of what you propose is unacceptable. Once Krycek regains the memories we require, we can employ drugs or other persuasions to obtain any relevant information. To release them is folly."

"Your arguments have been duly noted. However, we've no idea how long we'll have to wait for the relevant memories to surface, and the tactics you advocate are so ... primitive. We have operatives placed appropriately to obtain the information, when he discloses it to Agent Scully, which we all agree he'll do. Given that, your premise that Katarina's people will accept Krycek argues against your insistence that he remain here. If they accept him, they'll reveal themselves to us, and we can finally completely rid ourselves of that particular distraction. There is also the chance that our smoking friend will provoke the young man into eliminating him. That would be an added benefit."

"He won't provoke Krycek, unless he's certain there'll be no undesirable repercussions. Of that, I'm certain." Marleton paused to allow the other members of the Consortium to reflect on Cigarette Smoking Man's modus operandi, before adding "At times, he seems almost fond of the boy."

"Fondness is a luxury he doesn't allow himself."

Marleton glanced around the room. He was losing this battle. "Doesn't it bother you that he orchestrated the whole thing? He suggested putting them together, treating them well, letting them see Katarina, and now letting them go. What's he's after? Certainly not a knife in the back or a bullet in the head."

"Sometimes you get what you deserve, rather than what you wish," another member of the Consortium observed.

"Sometimes," Marleton agreed. "But not always. We listened to his advice for years with regard to Fox Mulder. What did that get us? Nothing but trouble."

"Mulder served his role as a foil quite well, albeit reluctantly at times," the First Elder commented. "Enough of this, my friend."

When the First Elder put a hand on Marleton's shoulder, and then turned to address the assembled Consortium members, Marleton knew he had lost the argument. He had known that he would. However, he knew that those in the room would remember that he had made it. That was the important thing.

"We will release Krycek and Scully as planned, unless there are any further objections. By that, I mean, new objections that have not been heard and addressed." The First Elder looked pleased at the silence that greeted his statement. "Now, what word do you have of Katya?"

There was a brief pause before the young man realized that the First Elder's attention had returned to him. "None yet, sir. She'd been working out of Paris, but rumor has it that she's shifted her base of operations to the US. She'll turn up."

"Of course, and when she does, I want her alive. Is that understood?" The First Elder was satisfied with the young man's vigorous affirmative nod.

***

Jeffrey Spender had taken over VCR duties from Skinner. He had replaced tape 1 with tape 2, and glanced at his boss for the go ahead to begin the second tape. He got it immediately. Walter Skinner wanted to get this over with.

The camera showed the viewers the same reasonably well appointed living room/dining room area that they'd seen before. Alex Krycek was again sitting on the couch. This time he was staring straight ahead, without really seeing anything.

Dana Scully sat down next to him, and touched his arm tentatively. "Alex, are you all right?" He nodded. "We need to talk." He nodded again. "Alex."

"Not now!" Krycek, regretting the harsh tone as he saw her startled look, tried again. "Just not right now."

Concerned, Scully put her arm around him. He immediately stood and moved away, toward the window. Darkness had fallen. There was not much to see. It didn't matter to Krycek, he was focused inward.

"Go easy Scully," Mulder cautioned. Fowley and Spender nodded in agreement. Skinner was focused on Scully. She was afraid. He was sure of it.

Dana Scully was afraid that she had made a terrible mistake. The Alex Krycek she had been with for the last two hours (since Katarina's death) was very different from the one that she thought she was beginning to know. Putting aside that fear, she approached the now quite tense man.

"Making noise so he'll know she's coming," Mulder noted with approval. "Reasonable precaution given his tension level."

Krycek turned before Scully got too close, truly focusing on her for the first time in a while. Her fear was easily readable. It surprised him. His mind had been elsewhere, trying to adjust to his world as it now seemed to be. His decision that he had adjusted enough for one day caused his tension level to drop, and he suddenly realized how tired he was. It had been a rough day, and he hadn't gotten much sleep the night before.

Scully relaxed fractionally, observing the change. Confidence bolstered, she came closer. "Out with it," she demanded.

"I can't resist authoritative women." Dana blushed, surprised yet pleased by his tired smile. Knowing that he owed her some sort of answer, Krycek continued, "But, I'm not sure what "it" is exactly. I'm confused, I guess. I mean, I don't really remember Katarina. Even now. I don't know what she was to me, but her loss matters. I feel like it changes things, but I don't know from what or to what. Forget it. I'm not making any sense. I'm ..."

"Tired? Upset? Angry?" Dana's concern was evident in her expression, and that concern deepened as he stepped away from her and failed to meet her eyes. "Alex, you're entitled to be all of those things and more." Something in his expression when he finally looked her in the eye led Scully to ask "Anything else you're contemplating?"

He didn't seem to want to explain, and Dana fully expected further evasive tactics. The no nonsense look in her eyes may have changed his mind. Something did, because he muttered, "The fact that two seemingly intelligent people chose me to continue their work. I'm not sure they made the right decision."

"It was theirs to make," Scully pointed out softly. "You have to decide what you'll do with the opportunity. But before that, we need to figure out how to get out of here."

"Ask and you shall receive," came a recognizable voice from a location outside of the camera's view. Scully stepped away from Krycek slightly, as she turned to face Cigarette Smoking Man.

"Hello Agent Scully. Alex. I've brought a little something to commemorate your liberation." At that, Cigarette Smoking Man turned and motioned to someone waiting outside of the door. A young woman in a black dress entered carrying a tray with a bottle of champagne and three glasses. "Thank you Melinda," he said, after she had set the tray down on the coffee table, opened the bottle and filled the glasses. Melinda stationed herself near the coffee table, observing Scully and Krycek with interest. Cigarette Smoking Man picked up a glass, and gestured toward the remaining two. "Please, help yourselves."

"After you," Krycek said softly to Scully, his eyes never leaving Cigarette Smoking Man.

When all three had a glass, Cigarette Smoking Man proposed a toast. "To a long strange trip, and those about to take it." As they drank, Krycek and Scully were both incredulous and amused at the thought of Cigarette Smoking Man being a fan of the Grateful Dead, until the name of the band took the levity out of it.

"Do you recognize Melinda, Alex?" Cigarette Smoking Man frowned, as the younger man shook his head no. "Well, no matter. She will be your driver when you leave the compound."

"We won't need a driver, but thank you for the offer." Cigarette Smoking Man and Krycek faced each other with matching bland expressions.

"I'm afraid that I must insist. For your safety and the safety of your companion, of course. Accidents in motor vehicles are so tragic."

"Particularly when the gasoline ignites."

"Particularly then."

Scully looked from one man to the other. Cigarette Smoking Man was smiling. Alex winked at her. But what the hell were they talking about?

"They are actually having fun with this," Spender observed in amazement. "Sparring."

"These are the early rounds. The feeling out period." Mulder had adopted Jeffrey's boxing analogy. Agent Fowley took that as a sign that there might be some hope for continued cooperation between the two men.

"Don't worry about us. We'll wear our safety belts. Won't we, Dana?" When Scully nodded, Alex smiled, pulled her close, kissed her very thoroughly. That accomplished, he continued with his attention divided between Dana and Cigarette Smoking Man. "A trip, particularly a long and strange one, would be much more pleasant ... without a chaperone."

All four viewers reacted to what they had seen. Spender was surprised. "Wow," he whispered, glancing at Mulder with concern.

Fowley was impressed. "Dana Scully, I didn't know you had it in you," she thought.

Skinner was determined not to pass judgement, but recognized that he was disappointed. He had developed a deep appreciation of Agent Scully as a person and as a professional over the years, and felt that what he had just witnessed somehow diminished her in his eyes. For that, he blamed Krycek.

Mulder was convinced that Scully and Krycek had reached a truce of some sort, and that the kiss was merely a manifestation of it. "Playing it out," he commented, as he recalled Scully's first volley (when she had practically hauled Krycek's head down to her level by his ears).

"I trust you will take the necessary precautions. All of them." Alex looked thoughtful for a moment, and then nodded slowly. "I'll see what I can do about the driver. More champagne, Alex?"

The viewers watched Krycek look down at his empty glass in surprise, and respond to Cigarette Smoking Man's amused gaze by presenting it to him for a refill. As Melinda moved to take care of that task, Cigarette Smoking Man forestalled her effort. "That will be all." Krycek, Scully and the viewers noted her displeasure at the dismissal.

"I don't think it's a good idea for Krycek to play the smoker's games," Skinner commented.

"I'd agree that that wasn't the time for a testosterone check, sir," Fowley stated. "But what was the driver thing all about?"

When no one else spoke, Mulder did. "I'm not sure, but I think Cancerman is worried that someone might try and keep them from leaving."

Cigarette Smoking Man had made a big deal about the three sitting down around the coffee table to continue their conversation. He had moved the lounge chair that Gibson had fallen asleep in, so that it was across the table from the couch, where Krycek and Scully were sitting. When he was satisfied that everyone was seated and that the champagne level in all of the glasses was sufficient, Cigarette Smoking Man took a small device out of his pocket and placed it on the tray.

"Jamming their frequency?" was Krycek's rhetorical question. As Cigarette Smoking Man nodded affirmatively, the four viewers were surprised that they had heard Alex's question. Apparently, the video tape sound system frequency was not being jammed.

"Technical difficulties do tend to occur at the most inopportune moments," Cigarette Smoking Man countered, his demeanor placid. More intensely, he explained, "I don't know exactly what Katarina told you, but I trust that it was enough to get you started. The car will be available tomorrow at 7:00 am. Regardless of whether I am successful in dealing with issue of the driver, make sure the car is clean, Alex. They use nothing exotic. Look for the usual devices."

"Don't worry, we'll take precautions. Wouldn't want any unplanned surprises." Scully smiled sweetly at Cigarette Smoking Man's nod of acknowledgement ... and approval. One question remained from the earlier cryptic conversation, however, and Scully wasn't inclined to let it pass. "Who is Melinda?"

Cigarette Smoking Man looked at Krycek and waited. Alex offered, "Someone expendable. A minion of someone interested in stopping this experiment before it gets started. How did you talk them into this anyway?"

"I had assistance." Cigarette Smoking Man answered in a tone indicative of the final word having been spoken on the topic. "When you leave here, you will make your way to our nation's capital, most preferably in a manner free from scrutiny. Agent Scully must return to the FBI as a Special Agent investigating Xfiles. That is of utmost importance."

Cigarette Smoking Man noted Scully's uncertain expression and concerned glance at Krycek. "I'm sure you will find that Alex can, if he so chooses, be of assistance in advancing those investigations. As for you Alex, you're a free agent. For as long as you choose to be. I anticipate that Katarina's people will accept you as their new employer. Many of your old contacts will become available to you again. And there are ... others that you might call upon, ... if we can reach an understanding."

"Why are the Xfiles suddenly of utmost importance?" Dana asked.

"They always have been," Alex offered. "Some of them anyway. The trick's figuring out which ones." Scully made a mental note to get authoritative with Alex on that topic. As far as she was concerned, Krycek's explanations were just beginning. Mulder and Skinner were having similar thoughts.

"Never more so than now," Cigarette Smoking Man added. "Properly investigated and proven, your Xfiles will give you what you've always wanted."

"The truth?" Scully scoffed. "I hardly think you'd offer that. Not to me. Not to Mulder."

"I wasn't thinking quite so abstractly Agent Scully. It would be wise to remember that information is a commodity, just like anything else. Access is possible, for the right price. It has been determined that your credit is good. Exposure of certain interests is on the table. Interests implicated in Xfiles investigations, since the beginning."

Mulder glanced at Skinner and grinned. The Assistant Director smiled at Mulder's enthusiasm. Skinner believed that Mulder was going to need it before this was all over. Vindication for the Xfiles from Cancerman himself. Unbelievable.

"Giving them the means to do your work for you. Some things never change," Krycek snarled.

Cigarette Smoking Man turned toward Krycek. "You would do well to emulate my tactics, as you have so effectively on occasion in the past." Something in Krycek's expression suggested to Cigarette Smoking Man that the boy did not fully appreciate his situation. That was too dangerous to permit. Needing Alex to listen, he continued in a more patiently. "You need to start thinking differently about many things Alex. Your role has expanded. Whether you like it or not. Playing it well is necessary to your continued survival. The stakes are just as high for the people you interact with. To start, your definitions of "us" and "them" need revisiting and clarification. Periodically, in fact. Loyalty is so ... fluid these days."

"He seems to be ... teaching," Agent Fowley observed. "Telling him what he thinks he needs to know. It's like he has some vested interest in Krycek's success. Have they had this sort of relationship in the past?"

"Not that I'm aware of," Mulder replied. "I've always thought of Krycek as a ... soldier. Taking orders. A hired gun. Did you think otherwise, sir?"

"Not particularly," Skinner replied. "But this conversation appears to be one between equals with one having more information than the other. Don't you agree?" The three agents nodded, and returned their attention to the screen.

"What do you want from this organization I'm supposed to build?" Krycek asked Cigarette Smoking Man tiredly. His fatigue was catching up with him.

Cigarette Smoking Man chuckled. "Nothing. All I want, my own people can achieve."

Krycek laughed. "Right. Let me try again. What do you expect from this nascent organization? Cannon fodder?"

"Perhaps. Technical difficulties can only last so long. Other items we should cover?"

"Anything you can tell me about the 'free' part of 'free agent?' Krycek's inquiry was casual, almost stated as a joke. Mulder suspected that his level of interest was actually much greater.

Cigarette Smoking Man passed a manila envelope toward Krycek. Alex waited until Cigarette Smoking Man took his hand away and sat back in the lounge chair before casually reaching for it. Memories of earlier petty humiliations, both received and witnessed, guided his behavior. Cigarette Smoking Man approved of Krycek's strategy and continued patience. Alex had simply put the envelope on the couch unopened. The young man had always been a relatively quick learner.

"Still fencing, Mulder," Spender commented.

Mulder nodded, but was contemplating another subject. "Freedom to operate. How will they secure that for him?"

"I can answer that, Agent Mulder," Assistant Director Skinner stated sharply. "After we're finished with this." Mulder suddenly had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, as he returned his attention to the video tape.

"Any other envelopes over there?" Alex asked in his almost sarcastic voice. His confidence level was high. He was holding his own with the smoker. Dana would pick up any information he missed. A few glasses of champagne on an empty stomach didn't hurt either.

"Don't get cocky boy," Skinner instructed, and laughed as Dana Scully kicked Alex in the shin. None too lightly.

"That looked like it hurt," Spender added with a grin, as the viewers watched Scully and Krycek exchange looks that spoke volumes. In essence, his "What the hell was that for?" was answered by her "To remind you of who you're dealing with."

Cigarette Smoking Man looked as though he may have been hiding a smile behind his hand, but during their exchange he had placed a second, much larger envelope on the coffee table. "Some items you may find useful."

Krycek merely nodded and left the second envelope where it was. "Many of my old contacts have expressed their desire for no further interaction quite clearly. Why would that change?"

"Don't ask questions to which you already know the answers. We don't have time for that."

It was obvious to Mulder that Alex reacted to the derision in Cigarette Smoking Man's voice. Subtly, but definitely. Alex had involuntarily flinched backward, then sat up a little straighter and opened his mouth to protest. He shut it again without speaking.

"Doesn't like to be scolded," Mulder said aloud. "He reacted and knows it. Just another gentle reminder from Cancerman that this is the big leagues, and Alex is little better than a rookie."

"Seems like he's hanging in there to me," Fowley disagreed gently.

When Cigarette Smoking Man saw Krycek's eyes, which had been looking everywhere, come to rest on the first envelope, he nodded. "Exactly. Other questions?"

"What sort of understanding did you have in mind?"

"We'll speak of that in Washington. Now, I believe the time has come for our technical difficulties to be resolved. And Alex, I do regret that I have provoked you so substantially, but your fuse is really much too short." With that, Cigarette Smoking Man retrieved his jamming device, put it in his pocket, lit a cigarette and prepared to make his exit.

As Cigarette Smoking Man went about his business, Krycek stood. Muscles tensed. Poised on the balls of his feet. Glaring at Cigarette Smoking Man. "I think you've gone far enough. In more ways than one." Krycek's voice was threatening.

"What you think has never had any significance Alex. I thought you understood that, if nothing else."

Krycek moved fast. Not fast enough. Cigarette Smoking Man had attained enough distance between them, allowing the four young men who entered the room to stop Alex's forward progress short of his goal. They did so with a bit more enthusiasm than was warranted in Krycek's opinion.

Alex was in a good deal of pain, and Scully was already assessing his injuries, when Cigarette Smoking Man spoke again. "Don't try my patience Alex. With respect to you, it is wearing extremely thin."

"Very nice performance," Fowley acknowledged. "They've done that sort of thing before."

"Not lately though," Skinner asserted.

"We don't know that," Mulder cautioned softly. "We have no way of knowing that." Skinner had to admit that Mulder was correct.

Scully helped Krycek back to the couch, struggling valiantly not to smile. She failed. "Dr. Scully, isn't smirking at injured people frowned upon in the bedside manner handbook?"

"I was just thinking that you and Mulder really are alike. That's all."

"Does he get the smirk treatment, or is he a higher class of patient?" When Scully just started laughing and kept smirking, Alex gave up on that line of inquiry.

"Let's see what the smoking bastard thinks we need." Scully was focused on Alex's injuries, but she did look up as he began to empty the larger envelope. Scully's service weapon was the first thing Alex extracted. A second weapon was next. Two extra clips for each followed. Dana's wallet. $2500.00 in cash. A smaller envelope, including a driver's license, social security card and several major credit cards in Alex Krycek's name. And a brand new, black leather wallet.

"Very nice," Scully commented with a grin. "Anything else?"

"That's it."

"Bastards stole my cell phone."

The tape ended.

"When do you suppose "tomorrow" was?" Fowley asked.

"Who made the video? And who was it that allegedly couldn't hear the conversation?" Spender asked.

"Can Cancerman and Krycek reach an understanding and, if so, what implications will that have?" Skinner asked.

"What is Krycek really after? And what do the Xfiles have to do with it?" Mulder asked.

The four questioners looked at each other. True to form, Mulder spoke first. "Unfortunately, the questions we just asked can't be answered with the available information. But what about the ones that can? Like, how will Krycek attain free agent status?"

Walter Skinner sighed. He was not particularly interested in pursuing this matter at the moment, but he sensed he had no choice. He could use his position as Mulder's superior to delay the inevitable, but the point of that escaped him. Might as well get it over with. He picked up the relevant folder from the ones on his desk and handed it to Mulder.

As the Special Agent opened it and began to scan the contents, Skinner described them for the other agents. "A full pardon. Signed by the President. This was arranged at the highest levels."

Fowley and Spender watched Mulder with growing concern. He was staring at the document in front of him, but not really seeing it. Alex Krycek had killed his father. He had participated in Scully's kidnapping and the murder of Scully's sister. Mulder could prove none of these things to satisfy a judicial burden of proof, but he knew them to be true. He knew it in his heart. A pardon could save Krycek from prosecution. It couldn't save him from Mulder. Nothing could do that.

When Mulder finally met Skinner's eyes, the AD read his intentions easily. "Agent Mulder, I suggest that you follow that line of reasoning no farther. No one can protect you, if you go there. And you'll need it. From any number of highly placed government officials and, quite possibly, from Agent Scully."

Diana Fowley could see that Skinner's reference to Scully had knocked back Mulder's defiance a bit. She hoped to engage his intellect with her next question. "That will cover the sins of the past. I find it hard to believe that all of his future activities will be on the correct side of federal statute."

"That's true," Mulder brightened, as he stood and began to pace. "And we'll be waiting for him to cross the line."

Skinner gave Fowley a look that appeared to say "Please don't help me." She merely shrugged "Sorry" at him.

Sighing, Skinner added, "Other documents in that folder afford Alex Krycek diplomatic privilege and immunity based on dual Russian/American citizenship."

"Krycek isn't a Russian citizen," Mulder protested. "I've seen his personnel file, including his birth records."

"Look again. I'm sure that his FBI personnel file, and other government files ... local, state and federal, now reflect dual citizenship. The man I put on it hasn't completed the check yet, but his preliminary findings are consistent with what appears in that folder."

"Is dual citizenship even a proper basis for diplomatic immunity?" Spender asked in a puzzled tone.

"It's irregular, but not unprecedented."

Fox Mulder sat down, defeated. Diana Fowley didn't like that look. She'd never seen anything remotely like it from Mulder before.

Mulder muttered, "What if he screws up somewhere else?"

"I have been lead to believe that similar documents exist for certain other countries."

"So he gets away with it."

"He already did Agent Mulder," Skinner pointed out quietly. "We could prove nothing without a confession."

The truth of Skinner's words only further agitated Mulder. "And I'm supposed to help him. Fat chance of that."

"Even if that means not helping Scully?" Spender asked. That question hung in the air like the other shoe waiting for its cue for the proverbial drop. Mulder glared at Spender and left Skinner's office, slamming the door behind him.

End Of Episode 12

Continued in Episode 13