by NovaD
 
 
 
Chapter Five:
Scent of Summer

Originally Published in My Mongoose
 
 

Jim had enjoyed Blair during their first winter in Cascade. The Guide was like a present with multiple wrappings hiding a delightful surprise. It should have been frustrating. Jim had never been one to have patience in opening presents. He barely left boxes in tact. And then there was baring Blair for his pleasure. As much as Jim enjoyed having Blair naked and keeping Blair naked, he just couldn't rush undressing him that first winter. Blair's wrappings were just far more interesting than paper or foil. Each layer told a story about Blair's day.

Jim could tell if Blair had spent a lot of time outside in the weather by the scents on his coat and scarf. When Blair didn't wear a hat, his hair would capture the scent of rain or frost. He knew Blair was spending too much time outside trying to coax more life into that so called 'classic' car by the scents in his hair. There was some grumbling, but Blair had ultimately agreed to a new vehicle. He had spent one too many hours shivering in the cold sedan waiting for a tow truck or a jump.

But aside from having the practical applications of protecting the Guide, Jim simply enjoyed inhaling the combination of scents found in each layer. And as much as he enjoyed unwrapping his living present, Blair enjoyed being unwrapped and savored. By the time Jim reached skin, he didn't need enhanced senses to know that Blair was highly aroused by the intense attention. A simple greeting at the door often turned into incredible lovemaking before they could eat dinner. It was a wonderful winter for Jim. Though the warming days meant seeing more of Blair's skin without effort, he regretted the changing of the seasons.

But then one bright beautiful June afternoon, Jim caught a scent on his Guide as he sat across from him in the Major Crimes bullpen. It was delicate and familiar though unusual.

"That's honeysuckle," Jim said quietly looking at Blair with his head tilted in concentration. "Where have you been today?"

It took a moment for Blair to answer. He looked surprised.

"I was at the arboretum this morning. They were having a flower show," he replied startled. "I was only there about ten minutes."

Jim shrugged. He wondered how far along the curly strands the scent went. He wondered if there were any tastes associated with the morning's activities evident on his Guide's warm, smooth skin. Blair squinted at Jim leaning in close to him.

"Oh, no you don't," he hissed. "There will be no sniffing or licking in the bullpen or anywhere else except for home."

Jim tried to look innocent then affronted. Neither expression worked in front of Blair's knowing glower.

"I would think that you would be happy that I'm honing my skills," he said returning to his files with indignation.

Blair sighed. He leaned in towards Jim so that he couldn't be heard. "I am glad that you are actively using your talent. I am pleased with your progress with sensitivity and control. For all I know, the Guide is supposed to provide a testing field. Lord knows, it's been great for promoting bonding."

Blair paused to try to figure out the words. It also seemed to Jim that he was struggling for control. "However, I believe that ancient Sentinels and Guides had a lot of jungle to hide in when urges struck and the peoples they aided probably expected all that.... bonding... But you driving me crazy in the Bullpen will only get us both fired or arrested."

Blair pulled back to look at his own paperwork. He was taking deep breaths. Jim didn't want to, but he found himself tracking Blair's vitals. He was concerned that he'd caused his Guide some distress. Blair's heart was pounding, but it wasn't from distressed. He was aroused. Jim had to focus hard on the words floating in front of him to keep from leaping across both desks and fulfilling Blair's prediction.

"You see what I mean," Blair said mildly. He wouldn't meet Jim's gaze.

Jim knew the neutral tone was an act. Blair's heart was still pounding.

"I understand," he said quietly. "I'll try to restrict my...explorations to the loft, but it's difficult."

Blair looked up. There was more sympathy in his expression. "I know. It's probably instinctual."

Jim gave that some thought. "Some of it is. Not all of it. Most of it's you."

The Sentinel sighed. Then he got out of his seat. "I'm going for coffee. You want some?"

"Er, no," Blair replied. "Bottled water would be nice."

Jim nodded then walked swiftly toward the break room. Blair let out a sigh. He didn't mean to rankle Jim, but he really had to put his foot down. After that incredible winter, one flare of Jim's nostrils made him instantly and painfully erect. And the need for completion during those times was overwhelming. Blair had never felt such a need to possess or be possessed. Often, they didn't even make it to bed before they were on each other and in each other. The pull was so strong that he didn't think he could refuse even if Jim beckoned to him in the bullpen. He needed a little distance.

The mutual nature of the sense related lust-fests suggested to Blair that somewhere it was Sentinel related. Jim had honed his skills over those months to an almost paranormal level and the physical bonding had deepened Blair's intuitive skills with Jim as a Guide. He was certain that if they were still in the mountains, Blair could hear Jim's thoughts. He was close to it despite the distractions of the city. But they had to get control of themselves at work. They had too much to lose. After a moment or two, Blair had tamped down the lust. By the time Jim returned with the coffee and the water, he had done so as well.

"Here you go, Chief," Jim said quietly. He smiled at Blair as he accepted the bottle. "It's okay."

"Thanks, Jim," Blair nodded.

The rest of the day passed normally enough, but Jim realized that the manifestation of Summer in Blair's hair was just the beginning of a warm weather sensual assault on him. He would have to confine his reactions to times when they were safely behind closed doors. But it would not be easy. It had been simple to wait and unwrap the covered up Blair. The layers kept the temptations hidden. Warm weather Blair was right there uncovered and exposed for the taking all day long.

The next day was tough as they went through an investigation. Much of it was spent in the bright sunshine. The rays lit Blair's hair with highlights that ranged from reds to gold in the rich brown curls as they walked from location to location. Jim could detect the heat that had been absorbed along the length of his hair. It was a great temptation to keep from sinking it into that wonderful silkiness and track the warmth. Were it not for Blair's voice keeping him grounded while he interviewed a witness, Jim would have zoned trying to see all the different colors that the sunlight was creating in that hair. Blair finished the questioning on his own and wrapped up the interview while Jim did his strong and silent routine.

Jim was even more unsettled as the interview ended. The civilized man who was a Major Crimes Detective told him to go back to the station and write up the notes of the interviews for the report. Some other part, that pre-civilized man Blair once spoke of, demanded to know this warm weather Guide. He was the Guide. It was the Sentinel's right to know him in all possible situations. It was a necessity. He barely heard the Guide's words as he took an exit off the highway that lead towards the foothills. They had pulled into a remote rest area before he really heard Blair's concerned voice.

"Jim, are you with me?"

"I'm here," he replied softly. "Come with me."

It was a short path to a meadow with a picnic table. The place was a riot of colors and fragrances, but he was only focused on his Guide.

"There is no one for miles," Jim said roughly before moving towards Blair.

The heat had penetrated his hair to the scalp. Jim could feel the warmth along each wave and valley of the curls as he clutched them in his hands. Blair gasped as he was brought close. He did not resist as Jim scented his hair.

"Jim...oh God, ...Jim..."

Blair's voice was husky with need. Jim would attend to that but he had to explore all those delightful scents and sights that had been beckoning to him all day. He found the scent of freshly mowed grass and honeysuckle that had been blooming along the entryway to the office park they had just left. The scents combined enticingly with the natural scent of his lover's curls. Jim gently sucked at the skin behind Blair's ear to taste the flavors that went with the scents. Blair moaned out loud. By now he had lost the ability to speak. Jim proceeded to map Blair's body with his nose, his tongue then his fingers. For his part, all Blair could do as he was splayed across the picnic table is hold onto Jim, not shift very much because of splinters and come really hard. He didn't know if Jim came or not. As his clothes were rearranged to something close to their former order, he didn't care. The Guide followed his Sentinel back to the truck and buckled himself in quite docilely. His synapses weren't firing normally until they were almost back in town.

"That's some loophole you found," Blair murmured.

"I'm glad you like it."

"Oh, I do," Blair said with a big smile. "I just hope that our expressions don't look too out of place doing paperwork."

No one noticed how happy they were at their desks doing reports. Most of their co-workers thought them to be a bit odd anyway. Blair hummed as his fingers flew over the keyboards. His face was absolute contentment. His eyes were warm when he met Jim's gaze over the monitors. That made Jim feel less guilty about having dragged his partner off into the woods to lick and suck him into oblivion. He hadn't been able to stop himself. And though Blair's arousal and climax spoke of his enjoyment, Jim wondered if he were forcing Blair into something he didn't really want.

Blair seemed to pick up on his Sentinel's slight shift in mood. His gaze had become curious as the afternoon wore on. He didn't broach the matter until they were on their way back to the loft.

"Don't you dare feel guilty about this afternoon," Blair said softly.

Jim was startled. "How much can you hear in my head, Chief?"

Blair shrugged. "I just get feelings. Don't change the subject. I love what you do to me. I've never felt so wanted...or loved."

"Really?"

"Really, he says," Blair muttered. "You must have heard and felt my responses. You had me so far gone that I didn't even care if you came."

Jim shot him a sideways glance.

Blair shrugged with a chuckle. "You hit me like a freight train, man. What do you want from me?"

"Point taken," Jim replied turning his gaze back to the road. "I just want to make sure that this... intensity isn't one way."

"It's so not that. I promise you."

Jim was placated. He was looking forward to getting home. The sun was still out and the air smelled sweet. The romp in the meadow whetted his appetite for sun on his skin. He missed the solitude of the mountains as the weather grew warm. He had been in the habit of wearing very little when not on duty much the way he had when he was in Peru. This was a bit impractical on Prospect Street. But perhaps he could get away with some time on a sunny balcony.

"I'll start dinner," Blair said as he headed into the kitchen.

Jim nodded at that then went upstairs to strip down. He passed through the living room unnoticed as Blair was chopping herbs in the kitchen.

 

The sauce was good, but if it had a half an hour to simmer it would be great. Jim hadn't said anything about being really hungry. Maybe he could wait a bit on dinner. Blair was suddenly curious about the silence. Usually the smell of food brought a hungry Sentinel to hover over the pots. Cooking with aromatic herbs brought him around to scent and lick Blair's fingers at the very least. On nights like that, they used the kitchen table for everything but eating. He suddenly realized that he couldn't hear Jim doing anything. The TV news wasn't on nor was the shower running.

"What could you be up to?" Blair wondered aloud. He hoped that his lover wasn't hiding upstairs feeling guilty about the meadow. That man could do guilt like nobody's business. As Blair headed for the stairs, he found that wallowing guilt was not the case for his Sentinel.

Blair found Jim out on the balcony in one of the lounge chairs. He was lounging nearly naked beneath the late afternoon sun wearing the tiniest shorts he'd ever seen on the man. Blair was strongly reminded of a big cat stretched out on a sunny day. His face had a peaceful expression. A small smile graced his face. His muscles were completely relaxed. A thin sheen of sweat covered those beautiful muscles. Blair found himself approaching the doorway. He watched as drops of sweat moved slowly down his torso. He watched the sweat that sheened that chiseled face. Jim's hair was visibly damp. His whole appearance reminded Blair of how Jim looked and felt fresh out of the shower.

As soon as Blair's shadow touched a millimeter of Jim's skin, those pale blue eyes snapped open. His gaze was all the bluer as his pupils went to pinpoints against the sun. The small smile grew bigger as Jim assessed the look on his partner's face. Blair realized that he must be seeing and scenting and hearing all the lust that was building inside of him.

"Do it," Jim whispered.

Blair moaned softly. He moved with surprising grace for the urgency in his body towards the chair then carefully sinking to his knees. He didn't know where to begin with all that amazing and glistening skin. He swiped one peck with his tongue then latched onto a nipple with his lips humming in pleasure. This time Jim moaned. As he arched off the chaise, Blair sunk his fingers into the damp hair and held him down.

"Don't move," Blair rasped as he moved to the other nipple. "So sweet...."

Blair licked his way up to Jim's mouth sealing over it in a hot kiss. The blood was pounding in his head to taste and take, and the need was fueled by Jim's movements and the sounds he made. In that instant, Blair felt an incredible hunger for his mate. He understood the power of that want that could make Jim so single minded and determined. Blair felt it. He felt it powerfully. He had to possess his Sentinel. Jim was responding to that need. He relaxed against Blair's touch allowing himself to be held down and spreading his legs for access. Blair felt the movement. He tore his mouth away from Jim's to pull those scandalous shorts off.

"Beautiful," he murmured. Blair nuzzled the hard leaking shaft and scenting the thatch of hair around it. His skin wasn't as warm as the uncovered parts of his body. But even to his non-Sentinel tongue, Blair knew that that skin was warming up quickly. He laved the hard length from base to tip managing to taste the pre-cum with each swipe. Jim gasped each time Blair swirled over the slit at he head.

"Blair!.... Please...."

"I like the way you sound when you're like this," Blair murmured with a smile. It was so rare that Jim let himself go like that. He wasn't trying to turn the tables or rush Blair's enjoyment. He was very still on the chaise save for the heaving of his chest. He kept clutching his hands into fists as if he ached to grab Blair, but he kept his arms at his sides. Blair was torn. He wanted to suck Jim into oblivion, but he also wanted to come inside that heat. He simply couldn't decide.

"Tell me what you want, Jim," Blair whispered nuzzling the inside of a warm, muscular thigh.

"In me," Jim gasped. "Want... you in me."

Blair groaned and started to get up. He knew there was lube in the sofa cushions, but wondered if he had enough brain cells working to find it. Jim stopped him with a hot hand wrapped around his wrist. He pressed a tube of sunscreen into his hand.

"Don't go... please, now..." Jim rasped. His eyes were like fire.

Blair took the tube from that hot hand and squeezed out a dollop. Jim scooted up to drape his legs over the arms of the chair causing his lover to chuckle.

"You really are a whore, aren't you?" Blair asked mildly.

Jim let a smile tug at the corners of his mouth, but his eyes remained fever hot. "Only for you."

That earned him a hot kiss while Blair hurriedly used his slick fingers to ease his entry. He could have been gentler, but Jim seemed more anxious to get Blair inside than about his discomfort. He relaxed easily as Blair pushed inside. The chaise creaked with their combined weight. For an instant, Blair wondered what the EMTs would think if they had some sort of sex and lounge chair related accident. Then Jim pushed against him. He stopped worrying and started pumping. They were both drenched with sweat in minutes barely able to hold onto each other, but it was too good to stop.

"Oh...god...Blair!" Jim rasped as Blair hit that perfect spot to send him over the edge.

Blair barely notices the additional hot wetness between them. He did feel Jim clench around him bringing him off as well. He surged forward with the power of the orgasm leaving him in a heap on top of Jim.

"We will never make it to the fall," Blair murmured.

Jim held him laughing softly.

 

A shared hot shower later found the men enjoying the long simmering pasta sauce over delicate pasta. Despite the thorough cleansing, Blair looked like a debauched angel. An angel staring ruefully over his forkful of fettuccine.

"Are you satisfied that this flesh obsession is not one way?" Blair asked.

Jim smiled at him. "Yes, I believe I do."

"Now, we just need to move to a deserted island where we can slake our lusts until we die of too many orgasm," Blair replied rolling his eyes. "We are going to get so busted before the summer is over. I can see why Burton's description of Sentinel and Guide was so.... vague and euphemistic."

"Slake?" Jim asked.

"Jim," Blair sighed.

"You worry too much, Chief," Jim said. "We always pull it together when we need to for a case. Otherwise, let's enjoy each other."

Blair almost gasped at the tenderness in that pale blue gaze.

"I know I've never been happier," Jim said.

Blair smiled. "Me either."

"Let's finish eating then go for a walk," Jim said with a leer. "I think there's night blooming jasmine out there somewhere."


Home