by NovaD
 
 
 
Chapter One:
Inevitable

Originally Published in My Mongoose: Many Faces of Blair
 
 

Dr. Blair Sandburg, a man usually noted for his intelligence, considered how he came to be dangling from that tree branch over a rushing creek of, undoubtedly, cold water. At least, he thought he was intelligent until that afternoon. After all, he was a full professor of Criminal Anthropology and a frequently sought after profiler. That took some brains, right? Maybe his landlady was right. She often posited that those with too many booksmarts usually were lacking in common sense. Of course, that remark usually came after a shouting match with his true love du jour and many slamming doors. But when Blair was at work, he was not prone to such drastic missteps. Nosiree, he had learned long ago, when he was seeking his first dissertation topic, exotic ideas and far flung theories did not make for a happy academic. He had learned the hard way not to seek the holy grail.

The branch began to groan.

"Heeeelllllpppppp!!" Blair called again. The wind was howling up in a mocking response. He doubted anyone could hear him. Then, with his luck, the wrong person would.

The Cascade Strangler Task Force bought into most of his profile. Why couldn't they understand the importance of the location to the ritual? It was so clear to him. He had drawn them to the conclusion as simply and as logically as he could. And he was rebuked; then dismissed. A stray curl blew into his eyes. Great, he didn't have a free hand to brush it away. Maybe it was his hair or the jewelry. He's had problems with law enforcement types accepting him even with his writings as an introduction. No matter how accurate his profiles, there was still some unease amongst the brothers in blue with his appearance or his attire. That just wasn't going to change. He had to spend far too much time burrowing into the minds of freaks and psychos. He had to recognize himself in the mirror.

Blair had run into the problem before. But this time, it stuck in his craw. It was as though he had to make them listen. It wasn't really clear why he was so compelled to come to Cascade. That city had surfaced time and time again with serial bombers and other mayhem. He swore the area attracted it. But, when the case came up, Blair found himself drawn in. His presence hadn't even been necessary to present the report. Something made him go in person only to be rebuffed.

Captain Simon Banks seemed to believe him. Or at least he gave him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it was his department's experience with David Lash. That one would still be killing if he hadn't had that encounter with a fast moving truck. Lash's MO and motivations were so strange that it would tend to leave an investigator open to any possibility. Thus, he was the one that suggested Blair seek out former Major Crimes Detective James Ellison. The sheriff, posted in the wilds of Mount Cascade, was a near recluse after a breakdown some years back. He'd had an impressive history as a soldier and policeman before that. Blair believed that even at half his former self, the man could track down the killer on his own turf. And then there were some very tantalizing details about the nature of the man's breakdown and his time in Peru....

The branch groaned again.

"Someone help me!!!"

But his current position of peril could only be blamed on his impatience. No one wanted to take him up to Ellison's outpost because there was a storm coming. The winter had brought some brutal fronts through that part of the state and no one relished getting stranded up there with the former detective. It seemed the Sheriff had quite a reputation for surliness. Blair didn't feel that he could wait. If his profile was correct, the killer would be lying low near his killing grounds but that wouldn't last for more than a couple of weeks. He didn't want another victim on his hands if he could prevent it. Something, and he assumed it was the case, was yelling loudly for him to go up that mountain. Thus, he got equipped and got directions and set off. He drove up the narrow gravel access road for as far as he could, then set out on foot along a barely visible trail to Ellison's outpost. Somehow, he lost the trail during a brief but hard shower. Then he slipped. He'd grabbed the branch just as he ran out of ground beneath his feet.

It took a moment for Blair to realize that someone was calling to him. He looked down briefly to see an olive colored cap with the Sheriff Department emblem on it.

"You must be Professor Sandburg," the man called up.

Even over the howling wind, Blair recognized sarcasm in the man's voice. "Can I get a little help here?"

"Sure. Why don't you try to drop the pack?" the man replied. "Then you can climb toward the trunk of the tree and drop to the ground."

"I don't know if I can hang on long with one hand, man."

"There is a release lever at the front on either strap," was the reply. "Just pull on them in turn."

Blair swallowed hard then complied moving as quickly as he could so he wouldn't be dangling by one hand for more than a few seconds. The pack slipped from his aching shoulders, but there was no splash.

"I've got it. Now try to move, Professor. That branch won't hold for long," the man said.

Blair did try. He moved one hand over to the other. Then, he moved the hand closest to the trunk over. The branch's groan became a snap. He felt it give way then there was cold and wet and sudden pain in his head then blackness.



Blair awoke slowly. The first thing he realized was that he was dry. He was, in fact, very warm and dry. Upon shifting his body on the fresh flannel sheets, he also realized that he was naked. The Professor sat up suddenly and then the pain in his head was back. It nearly blinded him.

"Easy there, Chief," a husky voice soothed. Gentle hands grasped his shoulders then eased him back on the warm sheets. Those hands felt wonderful. He could feel their imprint even after the touch was gone. "You've got quite a bump on your head."

"I'll say," Blair winced. "Thanks for the rescue, but how did you find me?"

"I heard you hollering," he replied. "I swear half the mountain could."

Blair peeked at his rescuer with one eye. Then, he looked with both eyes. It was quite a handsome face looking at him with pale blue eyes filled with concern and exasperation. He was far better looking than his photos. "It's time," he whispered.

"Pardon?"

"Sheriff Ellison, I presume?" Blair corrected himself.

"In the flesh."

Yes, far better looking in person. A gorgeous hunk of a presence with a buzz cut and a snug fitting tank top. The eyes had a few more lines around them but he was so much more of an intense presence. Blair felt something almost alive arcing between them.

"What's the matter, Chief?" Ellison asked softly. "You look a little flushed."

Blair slapped himself mentally. "Just my head, I guess."

"Let me check you out," Ellison said. He turned away and headed for a large first aid kit attached to a wall in the next room giving Blair a view of a beautiful denim covered ass. Questions. Questions would take his mind out of the gutter.

"How did you get me out of the creek?"

The Sheriff smiled briefly as he returned. "That wasn't easy. I'd just got that pack on my back.... what is in that thing anyway?"

He didn't wait for Blair to answer. He was gently tilting his head up to shine a light in his eyes. "Keep your eyes open wide, Chief."

Blair swallowed hard. "So you carried me and the pack?"

"I'm not superman," he said softly. "I used the water to support your weight and pulled you along by your shoulders. There is a service road by the creek where my jeep was parked."

"Clever. Medic Training?"

Ellison nodded turning off the light then carefully watched Blair's pupils. When he removed his hands, the Professor immediately missed it.

"Well, there doesn't seem to be any brain damage."

"Other than my hanging from a tree in a rainstorm."

"You said it," Jim smiled. It was a wicked mirthful smile. A smile Blair shouldn't be thinking about. "Hungry?"

"Oh, yeah. That trail was kicking my ass before the tree thing," Blair replied.

"I've got some chili going," Ellison said heading for the door.

"Ummm, Sheriff Ellison?"

"You can call me Jim, Professor."

"Blair... call me Blair."

"Yes, Blair?"

"Can I have some clothes?"

"Your strap-on armoire is next to the bed," he replied. "Shake a leg."

Blair didn't know how to respond to Ellison's jabs. They seemed playful. But he had been warned a great deal about the Sheriff's personality and temper before leaving. This warm, playful person was nowhere in those descriptions. Blair brushed aside his thoughts as the smell of food drifted to his nose. He hurriedly opened the backpack without trying to lift it. His arms felt like wet noodles. He pulled out a set of sweats and a pair of thick, woolen socks. There was a strong temptation to pull out his notes and start talking about the case but something told Blair his time would be better spent getting to know the reclusive Ellison. Besides, nothing could be done until morning at the earliest.

"Smells, good," Blair said upon entering the room.

The rest of the cabin was one large room efficiently divided into an office area, a small parlor and a kitchenette with a small round table for two. There were even some nice plants about for color. All the comforts of home, Blair observed, save for human companionship.

Ellison dished out the chili along with a big, moist piece of cornbread. It looked mouth-watering and tasted even better.

"Hmmmm, this is amazing," Blair murmured. "The spices are perfect."

"I have to be careful. Sometimes seasoning really bother me," Jim replied. "I get so sensitive to even the mildest flavors that I can't stand to eat."

"Defensive cooking, huh?"

"Something like that."

Blair ate for a while in silence trying to figure out how to ask the next question. "And you heard me out there over the wind?"

Ellison shrugged. "Sometimes voices carry over the wind."

Blair hid his skepticism; that wind had been howling like a jet engine. Hearing Blair at all was unlikely. Hearing him well enough to find him was miraculous. Again, an inner voice told Blair to put the excited Professor away and just get to know this man.

"I saw the Jags jacket," Blair said. "You keeping up with the games?"

"Oh, yes," Ellison smiled. "I have a satellite and a small TV. Sometimes, I go to the tavern about ten miles from here. Even full, it's only five guys so it's never too noisy."

Blair let that comment pass as well. They fell into an easy conversation about that season of basketball while finishing off the pot of chili and cleaning the kitchen. It was so easy to be with him. Blair had never felt that so quickly with anyone. All his life he had been the outsider learning how to fit in wherever his mother decided to plant herself. Here, he felt as though he'd belonged all his life. Jim stayed near him. He readily met and held his gaze. He felt as though the man was beckoning him to be close. Then suddenly the warmth was gone. The Sheriff snapped his head toward the door.

"Jim?"

Ellison raised a hand to quiet Blair. Then, he headed for the door. Blair followed the man onto the porch and watched him carefully. The sheriff seemed to be listening and sniffing and feeling.

"Those showers this afternoon were appetizers," he muttered. "There's a big front coming through. You want a shower?"

Blair had been focusing on the human barometer and was thus a little slow on the uptake. "Huh?"

"We'll probably lose the generator in an hour. No hot water heater," he explained.

"Er, sure. I feel like my hair is full of tadpoles," Blair replied. "I'll be fast."

"Okay," Ellison nodded. "I'll make sure we have enough dry wood for the fireplace and stove."

He pointed Blair to a door off the kitchen then headed back outside. The Professor was glad to get away from Ellison for a little while. He was barely able to contain his excitement on any number of levels.

"He has the hearing -- that's for certain; and probably taste and smell," Blair thought as he quickly soaped and shampooed in the narrow shower stall. "And he did spot the release on the front of my back pack from yards away. I can't spook him. It's obvious that he's been through a lot. He isn't a specimen. He's a man... a warm blooded... gorgeous man..."

Blair rinsed himself wishing the water was freezing cold. "I have to stop thinking about that!"

He was toweling his hair in front of the fireplace absorbed in his thoughts and the warm glow when Ellison came back inside. He had been in motion for so long. Proving himself every single day. Always in motion, always thinking. It had been some time since he just sat and enjoyed the beauty of a fire and the sound of a storm.

"Oh, hi," Blair murmured when he realized that Ellison had been watching him. There was a tenderness and longing in the man's eyes that made him catch his breath. He had to calm himself before he could trust his voice not to shake. "Finished in seven minutes flat. There should be enough water for yours."

"Great. Everything is locked down," Ellison said softly. "You should sit on the sofa, Chief. That floor gets cold."

Blair nodded then yawned suddenly. The hike, the fall, the food and the shower all caught up with him. He was soundly asleep as soon as he settled back on the sofa.



Once again, Blair woke up very warm. It was almost too warm. It was the kind of warmth that made eye lids and limbs too heavy to move. He felt wonderfully safe and content even as what seemed to be the mother of all rainstorms raged outside. As Blair became more aware of his surroundings, he realized that he was spooned around something solid and breathing. Upon opening an eye, he discovered he was pressed against the entire backside of his host. But before he could work himself into a panic or distance himself, Jim chuckled.

"Don't sweat it, Chief. The floor's too cold even with a sleeping bag. Besides, I've shared trenches and pup tents with a lot worse," he rumbled.

"Thanks," Blair mumbled. "I think. Sorry to get so personal."

"The body seeks warmth," he shrugged. "The other thing is natural for men in the morning."

Blair resisted the strong temptation to roll away and try to disappear into the wall from mortification. Instead, he calmly sat up to put some distance between his body and that very warm rear end.

"You're very understanding," Blair replied drily. "Can I make you breakfast or something?"

Jim peeked back at him with mirthful eyes making Blair realize his faux pas. The Professor was beside himself. "You know, you are not exactly as advertised!" He said in exasperation.

Jim raised a brow then turned onto his back with a puzzled expression. "How so?"

"I thought you'd barely be civil. The image you have in Cascade is of a snarling monster," Blair replied.

"Yeah, I suppose it is," Jim mused. He seemed to regret that. "Would you be more comfortable if I rachet up the asshole factor?"

"No," Blair said quickly. He fiddled with the pillow near Jim's head. "I like you the way you are."

"Thanks," Jim said softly. He smiled at him. "I've only recently started acting like a human being. I think Simon must have picked up on that when we spoke. Otherwise, he wouldn't have sent you up here."

"Oh."

"Let's get some breakfast then figure out what the weather will do to your plans."

"Sounds great."

Jim was half out of bed when he leaned in towards Blair. "I wanted you to know something," he said very softly.

"Yes?" Blair asked trying desperately not to react to the blazing blue eyes boring into him.

"While I think it's probably an unwise idea," he whispered close to the Professor's lips. "I feel the same things you do."

Then he claimed Blair's mouth in a gentle kiss. Before Blair could respond by diving for tonsils, Jim pulled back. The electricity was there and stronger than ever. They stared at each other for a moment, then the Sheriff smiled.

"I'll start the stove."

Somehow, Blair got himself together and made his way to the kitchen table. The coffee was already percolating and the bacon was sizzling.

"You'll have to let me make lunch," Blair said. "I'm not used to being waited on like this."

"I need the practice," Jim said handing him a cup of coffee.

"Thanks, man."

"Now, why don't you tell me why you think the Cascade Strangler is on this mountain?"

Blair nodded flipping through his notes. He went over the basic profile of the unknown subject or Unsub then focused on how all the victims had been killed at a place other than where they were found; the presence of spores on the body that were unique to the mountain and the amoebae found in the hair of the victims that comes from bodies of water in the region.

"I could buy the spores being carried on the wind in a few of the cases but not every single one. Nor can I buy the microbes migrating," Blair concluded.

"Why would he risk taking a victim from one place, travel so far only to bring the body back?" Jim asked.

"That's part of the thrill of the killing. There is the successful hunt and the thrill of the actual kill. The return of the body caps it off because it is a way of flaunting the fact that he has killed and gotten away with it. For these guys, the peripheral elements are as important as the act itself. You'll find, if you get the Unsub to talk to you, that there is a very elaborate fantasy woven around the killings.

"Why this mountain?"

"Any number of reasons. It may be the site of his first fulfilled fantasy. It may symbolize purity for him. Most likely, it's a place that he knows very well and feels comfortable in."

"He feels safe up here."

"Exactly."

"It makes sense," Jim said thoughtfully. "I read your report. There is no way the victims were killed where they were found. From the photos Simon transmitted, it looked like some of the victims had suffered from exposure. Why didn't they listen to you?"

"I think it's my hair," Blair quipped. "Or my earrings... or both..."

"Unfortunately, that could be, Chief," Jim replied as he dished out the eggs and bacon. "I know those men on the team. They're all very good, but most of them view profiling as one step removed from telephone psychics. Then, here you come with all of this..."

Jim ran a gentle hand over Blair's hair then caressed his ear lobes playing with the earrings.

"And sandals, too," Blair laughed.

Jim rolled his eyes. "All you needed were love beads."

"I gotta be me, man," Blair replied with a smile. Then, he sobered. "Otherwise, I'd get lost in some pretty dark places."

"I know," Jim said holding his eyes with a level gaze. "You've done some good work, Blair."

"You know my work?"

"I checked you out when Simon told me that I should help you," Jim replied. "I was impressed with the academic and field work."

"Thanks, Jim," Blair smiled. Much to his consternation he blushed.

Jim smiled at him. "I don't know if my beliefs will help much. We're likely rained in until tomorrow. The murder site will be obliterated."

"True, but he has to hole up somewhere," Blair replied. "There will be souvenirs."

Jim nodded. "We can run through the citations and complaints I've taken over my time here. If I understand your profile, he probably has been very anti-social out here."

"You may have even met him once or twice," Blair said. "His type likes to engage law enforcement personnel to find out if he's been detected or just to show how superior he is."

"To show that he's so clever he can hide right under their noses," Jim said.

"Exactly," Blair replied. "He is a man of amazingly low self-esteem combined with supreme arrogance."

They finished breakfast in a comfortable silence. Then, while Blair cleaned up the dishes, Jim checked the weather on his battery powered radio. He also let his superiors below know that Blair had made it to the cabin.

"The news is not good," Jim said. "That storm front is moving slowly. We're stuck until at least the morning -- maybe longer. But then, so is our adversary."

"Yeah," Blair murmured. He was disappointed.

Jim sensed it. "In police work, Blair, you have to wait for your moment."

"I know. I know... Long stakeouts and cold coffee... " Blair said.

"You don't like being dismissed," Jim said. "You want to prove them wrong."

"I want him not to kill anyone else," Blair muttered, "but that's part of it, too. I've had to give up on a belief I held once and I still regret it. I'm not letting that happen again."

Jim walked over to gently squeeze Blair's shoulders. "We all do what we think is best on a case, Chief."

"Sorry... I can be an impatient pain in the ass," Blair sighed.

"Oh, I don't know if you're all that impatient," Jim smiled. "I know that here are things you're dying to ask me about. I suspect there are things you very much want to do..."

Blair swallowed hard. He found himself once again looking at Jim's lips. He blushed again. "Just waiting for a good moment."

"You see," Jim said softly. "I knew you could. Let's get to work."



They split the files up. Jim took the front half of the alphabet. Blair took the rest. Again, he was surprised at the easy comraudery they shared. And he was intrigued by the potent erotic connection that simmered underneath the routine tasks they were doing. Being around Jim was like being near a purring cat. There was this buzz that lulled him or aroused him depending on Ellison's focus on him. At that moment, it was easy to concentrate on the work. Jim's intense blue gaze was on the files. Blair could tell that he was trying to visualize each encounter. He certainly made it easy to plow through the documents. The Professor was impressed with the orderliness and incredible detail in the reports.

"You should be doing my field notes," he commented. "These reports are amazing."

Jim smiled at that. "It's not that I have anything else to do, Chief. Simon Banks would give you a whole different perspective on me and writing reports."

Most of the reports were incidents of camping or hunting or fishing infractions. Blair noticed that the number of citations went down from Jim's initial time on duty to the present. The reports also had less confrontation in them and more education of the violators. Jim was telling the truth. He had been very surly early on. As he pressed further, he did find some odd residents but none that sent up a red flag for him. He put them aside for Jim to look at.

When they finished, there were six reports pulled. Jim glanced at them thoughtfully. Only two of them had property of any kind in the area.

"This one, George Muntz is a real whacko," Jim said. "But I wouldn't make him for this sort of thing. He's more of a Unabomber, anti-government, paranoid type. That sort of thing. Most of the folks here say he hasn't left the mountain in over ten years."

"So, he's in the 'no' pile?"

Jim frowned. "We should have a look at his place anyway. He is a pretty big freak and maybe he's fooled everyone up here."

"What about this one?"

"Ah, yes. Lester Pragg. He's big on my creep list but I've often wondered if he should be," Jim said.

"How so?"

"Our initial encounters were when I was still deep in my asshole period," Jim explained with a grimace. "I'm not sure if my opinion of him is entirely objective."

"But something still bothers you about him," Blair said. "I've noticed that others you tangled with in the past don't have that carry-over hostility."

"It's nothing concrete," Jim said. "But he'd ask me a lot about my job and my routine. He seemed to wonder how I could fill up my days patrolling such a sparsely populated area. Why I wasn't lonely. But those questions aren't unusual."

"Really?"

Jim shook his head. "The local ladies ask me that whenever I'm in town long enough to chat. They aren't as discreet about their intentions as certain professors are."

Blair found himself blushing again. He was really getting annoyed at himself over that.

"So why were his questions so annoying," he asked trying to refocus Jim's intense attention elsewhere.

"I thought he was implying that I was somewhere goofing off," Jim replied I even found out that he'd ask some of the townies about my whereabouts from time to time. Like he was checking up on me. The one time I wrote him a citation I was certain that he'd file a complaint."

"But he didn't?"

"Nope," Jim replied studying the file. "And he didn't pay the ticket either. He may have a bench warrant."

"What is he like physically?"

"Average looks," Jim replied with a shrug. "I wouldn't have looked at him twice if he hadn't been in my face. Average height, slight build. His family used to come up here on vacations, but he's pretty much lived in the cabin since they died."

Blair grew thoughtful. "Is he up here now?"

"I'm pretty sure I saw him in town yesterday. I know I saw that scruffy old van," Jim replied. "You like him for it?"

Blair nodded. "He fits the profile but I don't want to get my hopes up. We should get as much info on him as we can."

"I'll have Simon run his record and I'll contact the county courts to see if he has that bench warrant," Jim said., "That could come in handy with probable cause."

Blair felt hopeful. His spirits started to rise. So did his appetite. His stomach grumbled.

Jim chuckled at him. "Looks like it's time for lunch. Why don't you rustle up something while I try to get in touch with Simon."

"Okay."

Blair foraged in the small refrigerator and found the makings for a simple salad and some left over stew. He stoked the fires in the stove and the fireplace then began to heat the stew. Jim was having trouble getting through on the radio.

"Pragg, P-R-A-G-G. Yeah, I'll call you tomorrow. Out," Jim was practically shouting. He sighed putting the radio headset on the table. "I think he heard me. The static was pretty thick."

"Well, at least we got a line on him," Blair replied. "This stew smells great."

Jim took out the plates and set the table.

"So why did you come out here?" Blair asked quietly.

Jim shrugged. It seemed he was struggling for words. "Everything seemed to be too much. I couldn't eat or work or sleep. Even clothes got to be an intolerable weight on my skin."

"When did it start?"

"During this bombing investigation. I had been out in the woods staking out a suspect for a couple of weeks," he began. He ate some stew then paused. "I couldn't figure out what it was; it just kept getting worse. I ended up checking myself into the VA hospital that treated me after I got home from Peru."

"Did they recommend that you move out here?"

"Sort of. They noticed that I would do very well if I didn't have a lot of stimulation," he said. "They think I'm having some sort of post-traumatic problem with being in a city."

"Is that what you think it is?"

Jim shook his head. "No. It always seemed that there was a problem with things being to loud or too bright or too close or too everything sometimes, I could forget. It seemed to have been a help for me when I was in Peru, but once home, I really became unglued for a while. Being out here alone helped a lot."

"Why were you an asshole, then?"

"I was angry. I'd lost a career I liked after losing my Army career. It came on the heels of my divorce," Jim replied with a shrug. "I thought fate didn't like me very much. I couldn't understand why. I've always tried to be a stand-up guy."

Blair had to breathe very deeply and continue eating normally. Fate is right. He was going to attend grad school in Cascade but opted for Berkeley because of one of Naomi's old boyfriends. He would have found him! The being his advisors were certain didn't exist. All five senses. All this wasted time.

"Jim, do you know what a nose is? The occupation, not the part of the anatomy."

"Yeah, works for perfume companies."

"And wineries," Blair said. Then the Professor began a very careful conversation about heightened senses using the examples of the perfume and wine business; Vietnamese scouts, even safe crackers. The sheriff seemed to be listening. Blair wasn't certain whether he believed him or just liked the sound of his voice.

"I think you have a genetic advantage with all five senses," Blair continued as he moved to the heart of the matter. He told Jim of tribal Sentinels who used their gifts to protect their tribes. He was convinced that was how Jim survived alone in Peru. It was likely the Chopec knew what he was. Blair even told how he had wanted to find one for as long as he could remember and how he gave up his search at the behest of his mother's friend.

"You think I'm one of these Sentinels?"

"I'm certain. I'm sure you were one for the Chopec in Peru," Blair said. "I think your stay at the VA suppressed it all until you were in those woods a few years ago. If I'd listened to my gut about grad school, I know I would have found you then."

"Maybe," Jim shrugged. "Or maybe I wouldn't have wanted to hear you then."

"Why did you get so mellow?" Blair asked.

Jim's expression grew wistful. "After a year out here, I began to remember the Chopec and my time with them. Not details, really but I remembered that the way I felt wasn't such a strange thing there. I was watching a rainstorm here when I remembered something their Shaman said about finding acceptance. From that comes peace and from that peace, your heart's desire and your life's work."

Blair listened patiently though his heart was in his throat.

"I realized that on the whole, I was very lucky. I was healthy. My Army pension and my current salary made me very secure financially. And this is a beautiful locale," he said. "I didn't really have a lot to complain about."

"So you stopped being angry."

Jim looked at Blair with such a warm expression of tenderness that his breath caught.

"And then Simon sent me you," he said softly.

Before Blair knew what was happening, He was in Jim's arms pressed against that long muscular body. He felt so content and so safe. The Professor found himself wrapping his arms around that broad back and pressing even closer.

"I think you listened to that inner voice when it most mattered, Chief," he murmured. "When I was ready and completely open to everything. And when there was a real urgency."

"Open to me?" Blair whispered. He moaned when he felt one of Jim's large, hot hands in his curls tilting his head back.

"To you most of all."

Jim was claiming his mouth once more. Blair wondered, as he lost himself in the feel of that tongue, whether this man was claiming a whole lot more. Somehow, he knew that his life was about to change forever and he couldn't find any reason to fight it. Especially when the change came with this marvelously hard body and an amazing tongue.

Blair moaned again when his mouth was abandoned for his ear. He swore he could hear Jim purring as he nipped and tongued at his ear. Somewhere in the erotic haze that was swiftly clouding Blair's brain, he remembered something about Sentinels bonding emotionally and sexually with their Guides. I'll have to remember to tell Jim. At that moment, Jim reached down with his other hand to squeeze Blair's ass and press him even closer into his erection.

Later, I'll tell him later.

For a man who presumedly hadn't been with anyone in quite a long time, Jim Ellison had no problem remembering how things were done. Blair soon found himself naked and flat on his back in bed. The aforementioned Mr. Ellison was still using that tongue. He seemed to be orally cataloguing every centimeter of Blair's over sensitized skin.

"I thought " Blair gasped as his left nipple was being exquisitely sucked. "You weren't suppose to get overly stimulated."

"I'm doing fine," Jim murmured against the other nipple. He could feel the man smiling against his skin. "Just let me do the driving, Blair. Just let me..."

Blair moaned as Jim licked his navel. Dimly, the Professor realized that his lover was imprinting him on his senses. Every sense was focused on him. Jim was tasting him and scenting him. His eyes and his hands worshiped his skin. He was being claimed by this incredible man. Never had anyone made love to him so completely. And it only grew more intense.

Jim made his way down to Blair's very excited groin. He slowly ran hand his face through Blair's hair there inhaling deeply. He murmured appreciatively before beginning to tongue the straining erection. Blair arched off the bed. Jim had to hold him still to taste his fill of the turgid red shaft and the testicles nestled below.

"Jiiiiiiiimmmm...please..."

His Sentinel heard him. He felt that incredible mouth envelope his cock to the root. One of Jim's hands was pressed over Blair's heart holding him in so many ways. He clutched the sheets in a fierce grip lost in the wet heat of that mouth that was learning him in seconds. Where was his mind? He should have been panicked... would have been in any other circumstance. But it felt too right. It felt too good. For once, his mind let go. He gave himself to that man and that feeling and fell into a blinding light of absolute pleasure.

Blair came harder and longer than he ever had in his life. He was trembling and exhausted when Jim finally finished milking and licking his spent member then kissed his way back up to Blair's lips. The Professor didn't think he had anything left to give to this man. But then Jim growled against his lips.

"Mine..."

He claimed Blair's mouth again with even more vigor than before.

"Mine!" He demanded as the kiss ended.

"Yes... yes, yours, Jim."

The admission satisfied his lover on that issue, but his hunger was another matter. Blair felt his boneless body being turned onto his belly. Jim gently spread his legs settling between them to nip at his buttocks and lick his spine. Blair was still reeling in a post orgasmic fog. He barely noticed when Jim gently penetrated him with one, then two fingers. By the time he was alert enough to respond to the third one, Jim had found his magic button. Once again, Blair's brain shut down. He was all carnal need and response. He found himself pushing back on the fingers and moaning for more. Then Jim was deep in him and around him pulsing and surging within him. He was hard again and straining for release. Jim was there too stroking him dragging him into the upward heady spiral. And he was loving it. He loved being free of his constantly moving mind and being reduced to the elegant simplicity of need and fulfillment. Jim pumped into him and stroked him and it went on and on until they were covered in sweat. And just when Blair thought he had parted company from his mind forever, Jim hit that spot once again and Blair came again gasping his tormentor's name. Then, he felt Jim clench and moan filling him. The Professor collapsed onto the mattress.



Blair awoke with a start alone in bed. For a moment, he thought he'd dreamed making incredible love with Jim Ellison. But he was sore in places that had nothing to do with the hike the day before.

"Jim?" He whispered.

"I'm right here, Blair," Jim said as he came through the door. He was carrying a bucket filled with steamy water. "I thought you might want to clean up and I just never got around to whittling that two-person tub."

"Well, what can you do?" Blair smiled. He moved to get up, but Jim gently pushed him flat against the mattress.

"Let me," he whispered before kissing him into stillness.

Jim then soaked a washcloth and began the sponge bath.

Blair watched him intently. "Maybe it was better that we met this way. Falling for the subject of the research is such a major no-no. As it is, we're treading on some questionable ground professionally."

"I don't know if I would have liked the idea of being a subject. I have to tell you, Chief, I was not the most open and forthcoming individual then," Jim said as he gently cleansed Blair's skin. "I do like this idea of falling for me though."

"What about professionalism?"

Jim turned him over to cleanse Blair's tender bottom. "I made sure we ran makes on our suspects before I laid my lips on you, Chief."

Blair sighed as he was patted dry then turned back into Jim's embrace. "Point taken."

They snuggled in silence under the comforter enjoying the sound of the rain. Jim was stroking Blair's hair absently. Neither man was close to sleeping.

"You know how to help me control this," Jim murmured.

Blair nodded against his chest. "I'm fairly certain I can. I think I was meant to help you."

Jim squeezed him for a moment. "Maybe I can go back to the Cascade PD."

"Maybe," Blair murmured.

"Wait. I'm being selfish," Jim said. He maneuvered the man in his arms until they could look at each other. "I shouldn't assume that I know where you want to live."

Blair gently traced Jim's lips gazing at him solemnly. "I don't want to leave you. I've waited so long to find you. I'll have to tie up some loose ends with my job, but I don't think Cascade will turn down a full time profiler."

"How many loose ends, Blair," Jim asked quietly. "How long?"

Blair saw fear in his new lover's eyes and he didn't like it. Sentinels and Guides aren't meant to be separated even by a distance that a three hour flight would cover. "You must have some vacation time. Come with me."

Jim smiled at Blair then kissed him gently. "Okay, but we have to catch our perp first."

"Okay. Sounds professional."

"Let's get a little rest while we can."

Blair found that he liked falling asleep in Jim Ellison's arms. He found he liked waking up in them as well. He really liked waking up with the man if being kissed senseless was involved. Blair was barely aware that he was really awake before he was half way to orgasm.

"Jim... wait..wait..."

"What..." Jim murmured. He raised his head from the nipple he had been torturing with his tongue. "Am I doing something wrong?"

"Lord, no," Blair gasped. "It's just... let me do something for you."

"You are," Jim replied softly. He leaned up to capture his lips briefly. "You're letting me learn you."

Blair gasped. "Oh, man."

He was using those senses on him. There would be no place where this man couldn't find him. He would know every nuance of his body's reaction to everything. He would know him better than anyone ever had.

Jim paused hovering above him.

"You're afraid," he whispered. He held Blair's gaze forcing the young man to be honest.

"Not of you, Jim," Blair replied. "I've never been really close to anyone for long. Maybe I'm afraid I won't cut this kind of commitment."

Jim looked at him for a long time. "Yes, you can. A man with self-doubt couldn't be a profiler. And a well-thought of one at that. You know that I'm yours."

Blair caressed the broad shoulders above him. Those eyes were so warm and tender. Blair knew he was thinking too much. There was a time when a moment like this would have been lost because of his doubts and worries. But he knew he wanted, and needed, this man that he'd waited so long to find. Thus, in answer to that statement, Blair angled himself up and set his lips against his lover's inviting general ravishment. Jim obligingly rendered his brain to mush then fried what was left with the orgasm.

They ate leftover stew for dinner then curled up on the sofa to enjoy the fire. The rain continued as though it would never stop. Blair didn't care. Jim wanted to talk about being a Sentinel, so Blair happily complied. He talked about how Jim could learn to control his senses and the practical applications behind the theories. Jim told him about the great loft apartment he had in Cascade and of the great guys he had worked with in Major Crimes. They began to make plans for beyond the mountain.

After one last check of the radio which was still not working, they headed for bed for the night. When Blair came out of the bathroom, he found Jim stretched out naked on the bed gazing at him expectantly.

"Turn out the lights, Blair," he said softly.

Blair complied and the room glowed golden from the candles Jim had lit on the night stand. His Sentinel was beautiful in that light. He considered Blair with almost dreamy eyes.

"Learn me," he whispered.

Blair somehow made his legs move. He straddled Jim at his groin settling there provocatively. The Professor knew that his patience wasn't that of his lover's but he would do his best before lust absolutely took over. He used his hands first petting the soft short hair on his head then gently tracing his fine facial features. Jim closed his eyes in pleasure allowing Blair to kiss his eyelids before moving to his mouth. While Blair kissed that mouth to his fill, his hands roamed the chiseled chest fondling the taut nipples until Jim moaned and moved beneath him.

Blair slid down that wonderful body imprisoning Jim's thighs. Meanwhile, he used his mouth to taste the Sentinel.. He found that Jim's ears were sensitive to sucking and that nipping at the curve of his neck made him gasp. Licking and nipping at the nipples made him arch off the bed and his navel was delicious.

Oh, but nothing compared to tasting that beautiful cock. And nothing made Jim more responsive. All the while he laved and sucked, Jim moaned and gasped and writhed and clutched at sheets. It was an incredible rush controlling such a powerful body. Blair played with him enjoying his taste and his scent while using all of his control to bring Jim to the brink and pull him back until they were both half crazy. He finally really went after his lover sucking with all he could. Jim gasped his name shooting into his mouth.

Blair crawled up his lover then collapsed onto his chest. Jim petted his hair.

"You're one quick study, Chief," Jim sighed.

Blair smiled against his chest. "Always have been. Wait until I've done more research."

Jim chuckled. "Heaven help me."



The storm ended sometime during the night. Morning was bright and beautiful. While Blair heated wash water for the two of them, Jim tried to get through to civilization on the radio. By the time there was enough water warmed, Jim was coming into the bathroom with a scowl.

"Who did you get?" Blair asked.

"Captain Piller," Jim replied. "He's been on the phone with Banks off and on since we spoke yesterday. Seems Pragg was spotted heading off the mountain just before the storm really hit. A state trooper almost had him turn back, but Pragg convinced him that it was safer to head for the interstate rather than back up."

"He didn't run him, I take it?"

"No, but he piped up when Piller put out an APB yesterday after talking to Banks. Seems the reason Pragg is holed up here is a long string of convictions from peeping tom stuff to actual assault," Jim said.

"He fits the profile like a glove," Blair whistled.

"Yeah. Banks and a crime scene team are en route now that the weather's clear," Jim said. "We're supposed to meet them up there. I hope someone spots him."

"Don't worry," Blair said grimly. "He's coming back."

"Why?"

"He wasn't running, Jim. He was going hunting," Blair replied.. "The timing is right, and the rain has made his killing field pristine again. He went down there to find another victim."

They washed up and dressed quickly. Breakfast was what they could carry in hand and bottles of water. The pair was on the road in less than a half an hour. The morning was breath taking in it's beauty. The air was absolutely delicious.

"Wow, it's beautiful," Blair murmured. "It even sounds beautiful. Are you sure you want to give it up for a dirty, noisy and smelly city?"

Jim shrugged. "I loved the city when it wasn't overwhelming me. Besides, I can do so much more than writing tickets to campers. And this isn't where your work is, Chief."

"Jim..."

"I'm not giving anything up, Blair," Jim said glancing at him. "I'm gaining so much."

They rode in a comfortable silence up the very faint mountain road. It was muddy on either side but generally passable. Jim slowed to a stop as they reached another road which branched from the main one. There was a mail box at the juncture with Pragg printed on it in box letters.

"Can you tell me how to see and hear up that road so I'll know who's there?" Jim asked.

"I think so," Blair replied.

Jim listened as Blair quietly coached him in focusing one sense then piggybacking the other. All the while he kept his hand on Jim's to keep him grounded. The man was absolutely still for more than a minute. Then, he closed his eyes and relaxed into his seat.

"Jim?"

He looked at Blair in amazement. "That was incredible, Chief. I could see all the way into the cabin. I could hear everything there."

Jim eased the jeep onto the private road. "No one around for miles."

Blair was still reacting to seeing an actual Sentinel in action. "Good... good... I'm sure you'll know if that changes."

The cabin was large. It looked very much like a family vacation spot. There was a deck with a barbeque but the property didn't look well maintained. The landscaping had overgrown. The cabin needed repair. The rain storm had been hard on the structure.

"We can't go in until the warrant and the team arrives," Jim said. "How do we find his killing ground?"

They climbed out of the jeep. Blair looked about the property. "It may not be a formal path but it's a route trod upon many times over the years. Even after all this rain, you should be able to see it."

Jim nodded wandering a little ahead of Blair. They headed around the back of the property. Jim began to move a little faster towards the east. Blair couldn't see the path but followed quickly keeping his eyes on Jim's back. They walked for about ten minutes before stepping into a clearing amidst the trees.

Jim stared at the ground for a moment with a frown. "The rain did a number out here. Whatever was on the grass is undoubtedly half way down the mountain. If this is even the place."

Blair looked at the secluded place. It was very serene surrounded by the trees. There was just enough light to illuminate the area. "I'm sure it is. Let's begin with scent."

Blair stepped closer to Jim placing a hand on the small of his back. "Let's try what we did earlier. Let the other senses fall away until there is only scent. I'll be here to keep you from getting lost."

Jim closed his eyes then slowly inhaled. He held it then repeated. His head tilted as though he was hearing something or perhaps remembering something. Blair watched this incredible man in rapt fascination. When he stilled for a moment too long, Blair rubbed his back.

"Jim... Jim..."

The Sentinel opened his eyes with a shudder. "I'm okay, Chief."

"What did you find?"

Jim looked at him sadly. "There are dead bodies here. How can that be when he took them back to town?"

Blair thought for a moment. "He may have buried them here in the beginning. But then there isn't the thrill of flaunting the kills. This may have been too secluded for his escalating fantasy."

"I'll have to get a cadaver dog up here," Jim said. Then, he went still again. His eyes focused on something in the trees.

"What is it Jim? What do you see?"

"I'm not sure," he replied quietly. "Come on."

Jim moved with quick, sure steps in between the trees. He stopped suddenly then knelt near the base of one tree with particularly large roots. He reached down into the mud then pulled out a purple leather ladies pump with an fm heel.

"Victim number three had a missing shoe," Blair said. "A purple leather pump."

"She probably ran and lost it in these roots," Jim said. "He either couldn't find it or didn't bother. Simon is just at the beginning of the private road."

The forensics team found a treasure trove in the cabin. There were personal mementoes from every victim known to law enforcement and some from three others. There was physical evidence of the presence of several victims. Finally, the cadaver dogs found remains for at least five victims. Simon and Captain Piller were impressed when it was all tallied.

"There are going to be a lot of people eating crow over this, Professor Sandburg," Banks said shaking his head.

"That's okay. I'm used to it," Blair replied. "But it was Jim that put it all together."

Banks smiled warmly. "The Ellison touch. I knew it wouldn't be gone for good. Man, if I could get you back to Major Crimes."

Jim smiled back. "Maybe you can, Sir."

"Really?" Banks said quietly. "You wouldn't be pulling my leg?"

"No, sir," Jim said. "I want to tell my superior. But as soon as I can arrange a replacement. I'm resigning my post here."

"When could you come back?"

Jim looked at Blair. "Two weeks after?"

Blair nodded.

Banks noticed the look between them but said nothing.

"And I was wondering, Captain Banks," Blair piped up. "If the Major Crimes would be interested in the services of a criminal anthropologist and profiler? It seems I'll be taking a position at Rainier University."

"After this case, you could write your own ticket," Banks said.

"Great," Jim said with a happy sigh. "All we need is Pragg."

"I think I can make everyone very happy," Piller said. "I just got word from the state troopers. They picked up Pragg coming up the mountain. The girl he had in the van is shaken up, but fine. Great work, men. Beers are on me when we get to town."

Jim told Captain Piller while they were having beers at the tavern. Banks spent the evening trying to get Blair to tell him how he could reach his best detective when no one else could. Fortunately for Blair, Jim wasn't anxious to prolonged the outing. He knew that their lives would change when they left the mountain. He would have to share Jim with his cases and with his co-workers. They had barely become acquainted. He wanted as much time as possible to know this man. He wanted to make sure the other parts of their lives never came between them. At one point, they looked at each other and Blair knew that Jim felt the same way. A short while later goodbyes were said and they headed back to Jim's cabin.

Later, after the post-case lovemaking and a long shared shower, they clung to each other in bed under the seductive warmth of the comforter.

"It will all change when we get to Cascade. We will be pulled by so many factions," Blair said. "So many people will want parts of us. How will we stay focused?"

"We're ready for it, Chief. We're older and wiser," Jim said holding him close. "I've lost my mind in front of my co-workers and survived. I have no face to save. I don't care what people think about me. You have your degree and your reputation."

Blair thought of himself as he was at the beginning of Grad school. He may have been able to get Jim to listen, but what a rocky road it would have been. He snuggled closer to Jim.

"I'm glad fate didn't wait any longer. I really like being here," Blair murmured making sure Jim knew that he meant in his arms.

"The feeling is mutual, Chief," Jim sighed. "Stay a while?"

"I think I can arrange that," Blair replied. "I've got several decades to spare.

Home
Inevitable 2: The Scent of Frost