RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The view from the hovercraft was beautiful “ Jim thought, absentmindedly cupping his stomach. The baby had been getting even more active than before. Jim wondered if the baby knew that they would be reunited with its sire by the end of the evening. He liked to think so. While he had missed Spock, and would be glad to be back on the Enterprise “ that didn’t mean that he couldn’t take in this marvellous view for a bit longer. Warf had brought their diplomatic party on a seemingly touristic attraction for their last day on his home planet “ all but Mateo Wilkes had taken him up on the invitation. It was a canyon similar to the Grand Canyon of Earth only far more vast than that had ever been. The hovercraft was escorted by several of Warf’s cruisers “ patrolling the canyon in its entirety.

He looked down into the steep-sized gorge and marvelled at the overwhelming size as well as its intricate and colorful landscape. Like the Grand Canyon this Klingon canyon - the Havasupai Gorge “ was significant because of the thick sequence of ancient rocks that were beautifully preserved and exposed in the walls of the canyon. The rock layers attested to much if not most of the early geologic history of Ararrat Tiens. The canyon had been eroded by the most beautiful river that Jim had ever laid eyes upon. He could see several rapids and the water of the river itself was a beautiful mix of blue and green water from what Jim could see.

A hand on his shoulder startled Jim as he looked away from the beautiful landscape into the dark eyes of Warf himself. Jim smiled.

“You’re right. The view really is amazing.”

Warf nodded. “I had expected you to like it. Does it truly remind you of your earth’s Grand Canyon?”

Jim had mentioned the seemingly similar geological formation when Warf had described the Havasupai Gorge. Jim nodded as he briefly glanced at the view again. A pang of homesickness and loss hit him as it sunk in that there was no Grand canyon left to visit “ to be in awe of. His children would never see earth.

“I have saddened you.” Warf spoke. “That wasn’t my intention when I suggested this outing.”

“You haven’t saddened me at all.” Jim spoke. “I was just reminiscing about earth.” He sat down on one of the lavish benches on the deck of the hovercraft. “Tell me Ambassador… Do you know why is it called the Havasupai Gorge?”

Warf settled down beside Jim “ nodding at his question.

“It is named after the Havasupai themselves “ the people of the blue-green water. They have lived alongside the river for as long as we can remember.” He looked at Jim “ his dark eyes warm and inviting. “Our geologists have discovered that the erosion of the Havasupai Gorge has been happening for the past 40 million years. It is one of the mosy magnificant sights as well geological treasures in all of the Empire.” He finished proudly.

“It seems that Ararrat Tiens has a lot to be thankful for.” Jim said, thinking back on the memorial, the gorge and its people that he had come to know during the past week. Warf placed a hand on Jim’s shoulder and slid closer “ which startled him a bit. The Klingon was sitting very close at this moment. Jim frowned.

“The people of Ararrat Tiens do have a lot to be thankful for. We are a lush planet with many important features. I hope you have enjoyed your stay on my homeworld, ambassador Kirk.”

Jim paused for a moment but nodded.

“I have enjoyed it very much, though I will be equally as thankful to rejoin my husband and child on the Enterprise.”

As he met Warf’s gaze, he could see a flash of emotion he hadn’t even thought to see in the Klingon’s eyes “ regret. The silence lasted for a moment between them “ weighing more heavily than Jim had noticed before. HE hoped he hadn’t offended Warf by saying anything inappropriate, though he couldn’t really think of anything that he had said that could have been taken the wrong way.

“I had hoped that you might have considered Ararrat Tiens as a more permanent basis to stay on.”

Jim jerked back in surprise “ Warf’s hand falling from Jim’s shoulder to his arm. It was a motion Jim was suddenly very aware of.

“Ambassador… Warf… I … I might be interpreting this the wrong way but…”

Warf shook his head, silencing him.

“I think you haven’t misunderstood me at all. You and your child “ your children “ are very welcome here. You will always be welcome here. Should you ever need a more secure planet to reside on “ to raise your children on “ I would be most honoured if you should join me at my home. I am not a man who easily speaks of his emotions, but I hope that you are now aware of my feelings on some level.”

Jim sighed.

“Warf… I am happily bonded to Spock. And what you are implying would amount to you declaring war on the Vulcan-human alliance.” He whispered. “Even the fact that you proposed it to me just now, that’s just dangerous. Our species need to stand strong together.”

Warf growled. “Are you really Jim? Are you really happily bonded to the Vulcan? Didn’t he force you to submit to him “ didn’t he try to break your spirit and take away your freedom?”

Jim swallowed. He needed to be very careful in what he said and how he handled this. While there were diplomatic issues to consider, Jim also felt that Warf had become a true friend. He didn’t want to jeopardize that.

“Spock has a lot of faults, I won’t deny that.” He said. “I also won’t deny that I have had my doubts about our forced bonding. But I do care for him “ very much in fact. And he still remains the father of my child “ of both my children. I consider you a dear friend and hope that you would consider me the same. But we shall always only be that “ friends.”

Warf smiled sadly.

“I had not thought you to say anything different, though I had to try. Hope springs eternal as you Terrans often say.”

Jim took Warf’s hand in his and squeezed.

“Friendship is another kind of love. I hope that you won’t hold the difference against me?”

Warf shook his head firmly.

“I am honoured to be your friend.” He squeezed Jim’s hand again. “Did you know that you are highly regarded by the Klingon people “ by nearly all of the Klingon High Council?”

Jim made a surprised and inquiring noise. Because this was news to him. He didn’t know that most of the Klingons could tell one diplomat from another “ or that they were even particularly inclined to do so.

“Oh yes.” Warf chuckled. “Your heroic battle with the Romulan Nero has inspired several battle songs throughout the Empire already. You sought to attack and battle him when all others had either failed or would have retreated.” He said, referring to Spock’s decision to join up with other Starfleet vessels instead of following Jim’s suggestion of cutting Nero off where it counted. Jim had often wondered if those lost hours had had a more significant impact than anyone could really grasp. It was almost unbearable to consider that in another universe, Jim could have stopped Nero from destroying earth if he had rejoined the Enterprise an hour earlier “ minutes earlier “ seconds earlier.

“You are an admirable and honourable man, James Kirk.” Warf spoke. “I also have to thank you personally for ending Nero’s life.” Warf looked outside the hovercraft at the breathtaking view. “My brother Cronon was one of the officers who served on one of the star ships that he destroyed near our border.” He sighed. “I miss him. I miss him very much. He was an honourable man as well. He died in combat at least. His place in Sto-Vo-Kor is secure. Not that I wouldn’t have performed any quest necessary to assure him of that place.”

Jim sighed. Nero had taken so many lives “ had impacted so very heavily on the universe and the people in it. He shook himself “ readying himself to try and comfort Warf to the best of his abilities “ to anyone’s abilities in such matters “ when a glint of motion caught his eye. He looked outside of the hovercraft “ focussing on several cruisers that seemed to close in on the hovercraft and its accompanying cruisers.

“I didn’t know that the patrolling cruisers would be relieved of duty.” Jim spoke. “I thought you said that they were to remain with the hovercraft at all times?” Warf frowned then turned to look at what Jim had spotted. He immediately sprung up once he spotted the cruisers that he had noticed moments earlier “ startling Jim. He reached for his own intercom device, barking out something that made Jim’s breath catch and his pulse race.

“Possible hostile cruisers closing in on our position “ go to evasive and defensive manoeuvres!”

They had but a moment before all hell broke loose as the foreign cruisers and what now appeared to be unknown shuttlecrafts came into weapon’s distance. The hovercraft turned forcibly, trying to evade the weapons’ fire. Jim spotted the enemy’s attack pattern and thought it seemed familiar. But from the moment one of the photon torpedoes that the enemy cruisers fired on them hit one of the lower decks “ he didn’t have time to think or feel anything beyond coldblooded terror. In the midst of weapon’s fire, screaming as well shrieking metal “ the hovercraft crashed down into the Havasupai Gorge.