RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The epic scale of the memorial on what amounted to be an outer colony of the Klingon empire left Jim in awe. It was large complex, built in stone that resembled white marble as well as a metal that looked to be close to platinum. When the light of the three suns orbiting the planet hit it just right “ the complex almost seemingly lit up. Warf had told him it was a beacon for all inhabitants of the planet “ as well as what amounted to be one of the major Klingon pilgrimage stops.

Warf had told him that there were visitors who entered the complex unsuitably informed and never found their way out again. It was almost like a labyrinth “ built in honour of those that died heroically. A labyrinth that proclaimed lives and whose reputation only grew by taking several each year in that process. It was a daunting thought and Jim was grateful for Warf’s continued presence. Especially since the Klingon had served as one of the acolytes in the memorial. He had been involved in the maintenance as well as the safeguarding of the large complex during several of his teenage years.

Jim understood that it was something of an honour to be permitted to do so “ let alone perform the duties for several years on end. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise to Jim when he learned that Ararrat Tiens - the colony that they were on “ was in fact the home base of Warf’s family.

Warf came from a distinguished line of Klingons. His family was one of the most powerful in the Empire and had had a say in the Klingon High council since it had been established. Warf even had blood ties connecting him to the last actively reigning Klingon emperor, the importance of those ties still a veritable political weapon even if the role of the main imperial family had been reduced to that of a figurehead rather than having an active say in the way the empire was run.

Jim walked alongside a corridor, following Warf as he strode purposefully to one of the main chambers. Once they were there, Warf gruffly nodded to one of the young acolytes in the room. Jim wondered if they were related in any way. He ignored the murmuring echoes of several of the other diplomats that had opted to follow them and turned his attention to one of the large smooth walls. Jim traced one of the engraved names “ his fingers catching on the edges of the pictograms. He wondered what it said.

“This is the memorial plate for my one of my ancestors.” Warf murmured gravelly “ startling Jim. He turned to look at the Klingon whose gaze was locked on Jim’s fingers caressing the wall. The dark eyes connected with his and Jim resisted the urge to look away from that powerful gaze. Even if the man hadn’t been physically built like a wall, the mental strength visible in that gaze would have still impressed Jim all the same.

“This entire room is one of those dedicated to my family.” Warf continued. Jim frowned and glanced at the large chamber. The memorial plates were like smooth engraved tiles, covering the walls from top to bottom and from side to side. This room alone was several yards in length. It was daunting to even think about more of these rooms, dedicated to one family.

“So much loss.” Jim murmured softly, his fingernails etching the pictogram. Warf smiled.

“Klingons value honour above all else.” He spoke. “Those who die with purpose and honor “ those who follow the Way of the Warrior “ are said to join Kahless The Unforgettable in the Black Fleet in Sto-Vo-Kor. It is said to be a paradise where battle and feasting can eternally be shared and won. Kahless was the first Emperor “ also one of my ancestors.”
The Klingon continued softly as he too placed a hand on the memorial plate. Jim’s breath stuttered for a moment, but he didn’t speak “ not wanting to interrupt the man in his revelations. It was strange to learn more and more about Klingons and this man in particular “ it made him feel more involved “ something that always brought complication when dealing with things of a diplomatic sensitive nature.
“Our honored dead are not mourned, but celebrated. Every one of those valiant dead mentioned here are revered.”

Warf shook his head as he looked at Jim.

“Did you know that Klingons roar when one of their number has fallen?” Jim shook his head, fascinated.

“Once a Klingon falls, his comrades open the eyes of a dead warrior and proceed to roar to chase away evil spirits “ the jat'lyn. It’s also a way to warn the warriors in Sto-Vo-Kor that the last fallen warrior is joining their number.”

Jim swallowed as he thought about the cultural insights that Warf had just provided him with. He really wasn’t the person to appreciate it to its full extent, though he was grateful for the insight nonetheless. It told him more about his friend at the very least, and that was something he couldn’t deny.

“Do all warriors go to Sto-Vo-Kor?” Jim asked.

Warf shook his head “ a pensive expression forming on those strong facial expressions and ridges.

“There are those who may fear whether they will be worthy to enter Sto-Vo-Kor, especially if they have not died during a glorious battle. It is permitted to have a dangerous quest held in their name by their surviving mate as well as his or her companions. It isn’t a quest to be undertaken easily though.” Warf looked at Jim once more “ his eyes serious and filled with something close to grief and pain.

“There are also the dishonored to consider. Gre'Thor is the afterlife where the dishonored go when they die. We believe that it is guarded by a fearsome demon named Fek'lhr. The dishonored are faced with eternal torture at the hands of Fek'lhr and his demon ilk.”

Warf slid the hand down the marble and Jim’s eyes were drawn by the motion “ transfixed by the story and epic scale of the history and culture imbedded in this room “ in the entire monument. Warf continued softly.

“It is supposed to be possible to save the souls of the dishonored. The procedure usually entails heroic sacrifices performed by friends and family. As such, it is said that Kahless once travelled to the plain of Gre'Thor to save his brother, Morath, so that his soul could be sent to Sto-Vo-Kor.”



*-*-*-*


Mateo Wilkes cornered Jim as he left his quarters “ Bones and Sarek not there with him for once. The man wasn’t physically intimidating, but Jim had learned at an early age to be wary of anyone who held such hate and anger in his gaze.

“You listen to me Kirk.” Wilkes spoke harshly. “You don’t belong here and you’re certainly not worthy of the title of ambassador.” He poked Jim in the chest with a pointy finger and Jim barely restrained the urge to break the man’s wrist. If Sarek or Bones or even Warf saw the man trying to threaten him like this “ trying to intimidate him and make him uncomfortable “ he really didn’t want to know what their reaction would be. Apparently Mateo Wilkes wasn’t all that good at diplomatic insights either.

“Just, just stay out of my way.” Wilkes hissed and walked away. Jim watched him go “ ignoring as the door next to his quarters hissed open and a puzzled Bones stepped out.

“Jim, you okay?”

He turned to look at Bones once Wilkes passed the corner. He ignored Sarek who frowned at him as he joined his mate.

“I’m fine.” Jim spoke. “Just really tired.”

Bones frowned as well, but nodded uncertainly. The last two days had been tiring for everyone. Jim tried to ignore the ominous feelings that Wilkes had inspired in him. Once the talks were over he would return to the Enterprise and Wilkes would be sent back to the Phoenix.


*-*-*-*


Jim watched interestedly as the Klingon couple battled with fierce swords. Both swords were identical. They had a crescent shape with four sharp points. It looked as if the sword could also be used as a two-handed sword from the swipes both fighters used. Jim shared an incredulous look with Bones at the ferocity being displayed in front of them, but the clanging of metal soon drew his attention back the fight taking place. Warf chuckled as the female Klingon cut her opponent “ drawing first blood. A roar echoed through the supporting faction of the woman.

“This is a wedding?” Jim asked to make sure. Warf looked at Jim’s incredulous face and laughed out loud.

“The couple have to face each other in combat to be found worthy of each other.” Warf began, his eyes drawn back to the fight. “They are battling with the bat'leth. It is known as the sword of honor. Though the bat’leth isn’t used much in open battle anymore, it is still a necessary item for ceremonial rites, boarding parties or when you want to challenge anyone’s power or authority. To not use it “ to not fight “ during the marriage ceremony would weaken the union in the eyes of all Klingons.”

It made a strange sort of sense, for a culture so dependent on combat and honor “ Jim supposed. He watched as the female performed a set of complicated moves, which forced the male on his knees. At the same moment that she held her sword to her fiancée’s throat, the man swiveled his own sword until was pointed at her stomach. Both would be able to deal their opponent a death blow in the position they were in “ though it seemed they had fought themselves into stalemate. From the approving roars that erupted, Jim thought it was one of the better outcomes of the fight. He really didn’t want to think about a possible Klingon marital death toll. The couple stood and an elder fierce-looking Klingon stepped forward “ bashing his own bat’leth against the swords of the couple.

Warf leaned in and whispered.

“Turn on your translator. They will perform the following ceremony in old Klingon. But I think you would appreciate it. It starts with the retelling of what you humans would refer to as our creation myth.”

Jim smiled at the warning and touched the earpiece Warf had supplied the diplomatic corps with, thus activating it. He turned to look at Bones to motion him to do the same. His best friend was staring at Jim though, looking thoughtful as his gaze travelled from Jim to Warf and back. Jim made a motion towards his ear and Bones nodded “ pressing his own earpiece. Satisfied, Jim turned to follow the proceedings. The elder Klingon spoke in a strong voice as the couple placed their swords on top of each other “ crossing them “ joining them. It looked strangely intimate despite being so forceful. Jim swallowed as he listened in fascination.

"With fire and steel did the gods forge the Klingon heart. So fiercely did it beat, so loud was the sound, that the gods cried out, 'On this day we have brought forth the strongest heart in all the heavens. None can stand before it without trembling at its strength.' But then the Klingon heart weakened, its steady rhythm faltered and the gods said, 'Why do you weaken so? We have made you the strongest in all of creation.'

And the heart said... 'I am alone.'

And the gods knew that they had erred. So they went back to their forge and brought forth another heart.

But the second heart beat stronger than the first, and the first was jealous of its power. Fortunately, the second heart was tempered by wisdom.

'If we join together, no force can stop us.'

And when the two hearts began to beat together, they filled the heavens with a terrible sound. For the first time, the gods knew fear. They tried to flee, but it was too late. The Klingon hearts destroyed the gods who created them and turned the heavens to ashes. To this very day, no one can oppose the beating of two Klingon hearts."