RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Jim settled down into the comfortable chair provided specifically for him. It was an ornately carved wooden chair, with almost decadently patterned velvet-like cushions. It supported him in all the right ways and for the first time in the last month his back didn’t twinge quite as insistently when he sat upright like this. He happily ignored Bones’ fussing and smiled brilliantly and thankfully at Warf “ the Klingon ambassador that Jim was most at ease with. Jim was also sure of the fact that he had this particular Klingon to thank for the arrangement. Warf, who had become a friend of sorts, in as much as two representatives of opposing forces could be friends “ was most assuredly responsible for his very comfy and padded seat. Jim wondered if he could somehow smuggle the chair on board the Enterprise once the diplomatic sessions had ended. He absentmindedly patted the equally armrest. It really was a nice gesture.

Warf bowed slightly at Jim’s acknowledgement and then settled down at the large roundish table with two of his diplomatic aides. The seating placed the fierce looking Klingon right next to Jim, without really imposing on Jim’s own position in the seating. It was a little disconcerting “ this display of what could only be described as visible support. Klingons usually operated on the divide and conquer principle.

He startled even further though as Warf gestured firmly at one of the guards, who immediately replaced Jim’s steaming wine goblet with a decanter of water. Jim looked at Warf in surprise. It wasn’t as if Jim would have drunk from the wine or that the Klingons would have objected in light of his pregnancy, but this gesture was particularly welcoming. Most Klingons didn’t believe in drinking water at a negotiation “ or at all if they could help it. While Jim’s pregnancy would have safeguarded him from drinking “ the water still wasn’t a given. In fact, Bones had packed several flasks in his medical bag just to be sure that Jim wouldn’t get dehydrated “ having already told Jim that he would drink the flasks during the breaks at the very least or suffer Bones’ wrath.

“We shall share Blood Wine once your offspring has been born. I am sure we shall shed our blood equally and with honour into the goblet when doing so.” The Klingon spoke gruffly. Jim blinked as he realised that Warf actually wanted to drink their combined blood merged with the traditional wine “ a wine normally reserved for special ceremonies or to be consumed after a battle or during the reminiscing of one. It spoke of much respect and a shared sense of honour “ it took a lot for any Klingon to even offer it, especially to a non-Klingon who might not even be aware of all the cultural implications. It wasn’t to be taken lightly. Even if Jim wasn’t particularly looking forward to ingesting blood, he did feel oddly honoured by the implied trust he was being shown.

It didn’t mean that Jim couldn’t share a meaningful look about the latest turn of events with an equally surprised Bones though, who sat on a much less comfortable chair to the left and behind Jim. Sarek sat to his direct left at the round table itself. The Vulcan was merely reviewing several notes “ meticulously reading the reports that had no doubt trickled in only that morning. If he had heard what Warf had offered, he showed no signs of it.

Jim frowned slightly. Klingons had their own form of mental abilities. The rumour went that sufficiently trained Klingons could even fend off an insistent mindmeld. It was something that didn’t sat too well wit the Vulcans “ the meld being one of their most formidable weapons in intelligence gathering once they deemed the necessity of it to be logical and required. In turn, the Klingons placed a high amount of respect on being able to physically and mentally resist any interloper. Vulcans possessed the physical and mental strength that would put the Klingons on constant guard “ continually viewing them as a threat waiting to present itself and to be dealt with. It was one of the reasons why the Klingons insisted on a mixed diplomatic corps on their part “ bringing both human and Vulcan ambassadors to the table.

As the other diplomats, the Klingon as well as their own representatives, settled down “ the mood shifted slightly. The atmosphere became more predatory and more oppressive. Jim sighed faintly, reaching for his own notes and readying himself for the barrage of diplomatic posturing that was sure to come. He had a feeling that it would be a very long week. At least there were several ceremonies and sights to be witnessed and attended as well as the diplomatic talks that would probably bore Jim to death.




*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*



Jim tried to stretch his muscles trying to not be too obvious about it. From Bones’ barely audible muttering and the glances he got from Warf, Sarek and several other diplomats he probably wasn’t too successful in his efforts. He grimaced slightly, reaching for his water goblet. He had a throbbing head ache and this particular session had lasted for over six hours without a break. He sipped slowly from his water goblet and tried to pay attention to a diplomat from the USS Phoenix “ Mateo Wilkes. The man had the most nasal and flat voice imaginable. He wondered how the man had ever made it as high as he had.

“On the matter of the Klingon territories, bordering on the outer limits the deadzone, I would like to suggest that…”

Warf held up a hand forcefully and banged his wine goblet with the other, interrupting Wilkes’ tirade neatly. Wilkes gaped at the intrusion though “ completely bewildered at the turn of events.

“Perhaps it would be beneficial to take a recess. It seems ads though this last hour hasn’t amounted to many agreements. I suggest we resume talks in an hour?” Warf spoke curtly. He glanced briefly at Jim, who blinked. Surely the Klingon hadn’t said it just to give Jim a brief period of rest. Whatever the reason though, Jim was grateful.

“That would be most satisfactory.” Sarek spoke swiftly as silence descended upon their party after Warf’s words. Jim shared an amused glance with Bones. The Vulcan sounded almost frazzled. It seemed humans and Klingons weren’t the only ones who would appreciate a temporary truce of sorts on their little verbal war.