RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The next day was a very long one as Ten had predicted. Feral wasn't happy to learn it would take over a week and a half to repair his damaged tower. Sighing in frustration and anger he gave his damage report to Ms. Briggs who also wasn't terribly happy either.

"This has truly pushed the meager budget to its limit, Commander. Mayor Manx has managed to deplete a quarter of the emergency funds for use on his Tower Project." Callie said ruefully.

Feral grimaced distastefully. "Wish we could oust that fool. This city would run so much better under you."

Callie's eyebrows rose to her hairline in surprise. "I'm speechless to hear you say that, Commander."

Feral shrugged his shoulders. "I know its you who actually runs this city, Ms. Briggs. Its really not a stretch to see you have full control instead of that pompous ass."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence but truthfully, I have more control behind the scenes then I would being in charge even if it shouldn't be that way." Callie said with a unladylike snort.

"Politics! I detest it!" The dark tom grunted in disgust.

"Its what makes the world go round and runs this city." She said comisseratingly.

He shook his head and took his leave of her to return to his office and the considerable pile of work waiting him.

The only good thing that happened over the days and weeks that passed, was no more omegas appeared. The only irritation Feral had to suffer through was the feeling of being suffocated by all the guards surrounding him.

Everywhere he went he had a guard ring of up to ten lions. This made it hard for him to keep a low profile and the news hounds loved to make a point about 'Feral's Lion Ring' at least once a week.

So far there had been no sign of slavers, bounty hunters, or others looking to collect on the ridiculous amount of money for his hide. Meanwhile, his efforts to locate Dark Kat were getting no results. Felina was just as frustrated. None of her squealers had an inkling to what the omega was up to.

Add to his frustrations he still couldn't sense the bond in his mind no matter how many attempts Dubaku tried during their meditation sessions.

Feral was becoming increasingly worried about his mate. Ten looked terrible, though, he made regular attempts to hide his discomfort and insecurity from Feral. Despite that, the dark tom could see its effects when his mate sought his touch and attention with an increasing sense of desperation every time they were alone together.

If this situation wasn't bad enough, Feral began to have symptoms of extreme fatigue, needing to pee often and irritability. He shoved the sensations away during the day at work but at night with only Ten to distract him, they made ignoring them impossible.

With a sense of frustration dogging his heels, Feral caved in finally and went to see Dr. Mewser, the Chief Surgeon for Enforcer Headquarters Medical Wing.

Dr. Mewser gave his Commander a quick but thorough exam then took some blood tests. While he waited for the results he had Feral come to his office after he'd dressed. Once the big tom had settled in a comfortable chair before the doctor's report laden desk, he eyed him for a long moment before speaking.

"Your mate's Imamu has spoken with me and has informed me of the problems you and Tendaji are having completing the soul bond. I'm sorry I can't help you with that, but I am concerned about the stress its causing you by its absence. You and Tendaji have managed to cope as well as expected but it can't last." Mewser said in concern.

"I know that!" Feral bite out in frustration. "But what can I do about it? I'm not physic and all this seems like mumbo-jumbo stuff to me."

"Unfortunately, it is that attitude that is keeping you from completing the bonding process. Your unwillingness to believe in it is preventing you from opening your mind to it." Mewser pressed him.

"That's what Dubaku said as well but, damn it, I don't know how to do this even with his help."

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry but it is all up to you...so..." Mewser paused when there came a knock at his door. His nurse stepped in and handed him a sheet of paper then quickly left them alone again. Mewser studied the lab results for a few minutes. He dropped the paper to his desk and looked up at his patient.

"Well, unfortunately, I will be adding to your problems. You're pregnant."

Feral went still a moment, his mind flashed back to that moment in the lion's ceremony room and their wild mating that consummated their initial bond. His shoulders slumped.

"Well, no surprise there. I was in heat when I was inducted into the pride during the initial bonding ceremony." He grimaced then continued. "Also, his mother told me twins was the usual outcome of all matings."

Mewser sat back in his chair and rubbed his face with one paw. 'When it rains...it pours' he thought heavily. "Well that's just grand news and explains why the test results are stronger than a normal pregnancy should be. I don't have to tell you but I will to make it official, you're automatically removed from combat duty."

Feral moaned in response to that.

"Yeah, I know! Sucks don't it but I expect you to comply anyway! Also, you'll have to see a specialist in hermaphrodite pregnancies. I can set up an appointment for you if you'll let me. It has to be soon." Mewser stated firmly, knowing the Commander's propensity to ignore medical orders.

"Tendaji and I both know about that requirement and, yes, go ahead and do it. It will save me time from looking for one myself." Feral said in resignation.

"Do you have any questions for me?" Mewser asked.

"No...thanks...I guess my symptoms are all related to my pregnancy so I'll wait to see the specialist about how to manage them." Feral said getting up from the chair to leave.

"You are correct but I can tell you one of the things you must do is REST. Something you're notoriously poor at doing. You need to nap during the day, get your feet up frequently, and listen to your body's needs." Mewser instructed him.

"Oh joy! That should be really easy to do...not!" Feral growled.

"I know! Do it anyways."

Feral just rumbled an acknowledgment and left the doctor's office. Mewser stared at the door in frustration then reached for his address book. He had some calls to make.

Feral returned to his office in a foul mood and with a sour stomach. Sighing, he took an antacid and sat down at his desk to tackle the days work.

Later that evening, when he and Ten sat down at dinner, Feral gave him the news.

"I'm pregnant!"

Ten nearly choked on the bite of food he'd just taken as he dropped his fork to stare at his mate.

It took a moment, but soon a grin of utter joy spread across his face. He wanted to get up and hug his mate but he could see Uly wasn't as happy about the news as he was.

He leaned over and kissed his mate on the cheek instead. "Oh love, that's wonderful news."

"Yeah, I bet! And its not to surprising is it?" Feral growled stabbing his food but not really eating it.

Ten felt his heart tighten. "Oh Uly, if only you would see what a precious gift this is. I know it messes with your duties as an enforcer but it is the best news for the pride." He said softly.

"Oh sure, too bad I don't feel the same way about it. I'm constantly tired, mildly nauseated, and I've been removed from combat duty status. I'm feeling pretty shitty right now...thank you very much." Feral rumbled bitterly. "Add to that, is the knowledge that we still haven't found Dark Kat or know what he's up to."

Ten wisely didn't try to cheer up his mate. He would call his Queen later, to inform her his mate was pregnant and let his mother know as well. If only the bond was totally functioning then his mate would be able to feel the emotions of their cubs as they grew in his belly and wouldn't be so upset about their presence so much. He didn't know how much longer he could endure with only a partial bond.

As for the threat by Dark Kat and the sadist that wanted his mate, he'd done as much as he could do to keep a watch out for both. None of his spies had found a hint of the omega's presence anywhere but they had caught some of the idiots that were trying to collect on the bounty for his mate's body. But despite that good fortune, Ten was always on edge for his mate's safety.

The meal finished in silence. Uly barely tolerated him as, later that night, he tried to comfort the dark tom with a massage and a cuddle. Feral wasn't having any of it, so it was an unhappy lion who lay alone on his side of the bed, his mate's back firmly toward him. Sleep was difficult to attain that night.