RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Feral was walking down the corridor of his new home when he heard his name called over the intercom. Pausing near one on the wall near the turbolift, he tapped it. "Feral here, sir."

"Ulysses, I've been asked by your former Mayor to have you come down for a formal handing off ceremony tomorrow afternoon at one," Captain Ing told him.

"Oh, yes sir, I was going to tell you about that today. They want to swear in Commander Sharpclaws, reveal who the SWAT Kats are and bid them a farewell along with me."

"Ahh, good. Final closure for all then. Carry on, Ulysses."

"Yes, sir, thank you."

Feral felt a little odd being called by his first name but he learned that since none of the crew had last names, he'd been told his first name would be used. It would take some getting used to.

The other thing he had to get used to was not being in charge any longer but that actually felt good right now. He was tired of being in command and wouldn't mind the break. He had been told he would hold a position of authority eventually but not until after a year's worth of training the Captain told him in that private meeting they'd had shortly after he'd come aboard permanently.

"I understand, sir and have no problem with that."

"I'm sure you won't as it is no different than what you had to do in your old career. However, adjusting to being a subordinate will be hard. I know for a fact, you and are of the same rank holding identical responsibilities and now you must accept being demoted as it were. That will not be so easy."

"Yes, sir, I know. But I'll manage," Feral said with certainty.

Ing eyed him quietly a moment. "I know you believe that Ulysses, but you don't truly know. What I'm offering you is a private way to express your anger and frustration as the reality of your situation truly sets in. Come to me and blast away but only here in my private office, understood?"

"Really, sir, I don't think..." Feral had started to object.

Ing put up a paw to halt him. "Trust me. You will find it more difficult than you think. Take the offer. Don't hold it in as that will do you harm. If you never have to take me up on this, all well and good, but if you do...my door is open to you at any time. Are we clear on this?"

"Yes sir, thank you," Feral felt a sort of growing kinship with this leader. Though he didn't think he would have a problem, he was grateful for the Captain's understanding and willingness to be there for him as only someone in the same position could be. Eventually, he thought, they may become friends, something he'd not had in his years as an Enforcer Commander.

"Good, dismissed."

Feral had saluted smartly and left. For the first time since he'd made this decision, it felt right and comfortable. 'I'm going to love the change.'

That had been a few days ago. Since then he'd gotten his new uniform and winced only a little at his new rank of third lieutenant. His rise in rank would depend on what he ended up doing aboard the Wotan and surprisingly he thought he might like engineering but he'd have to see. He may end up back in security when all was said and done.

Right now, he was just getting used to the ship, where everything was located, the ranking system, moving his stuff into Kam's quarters, etc. His name was already affixed to the outside of their door. That did funny things to his stomach.

'Wow! I'm really married,' he thought giddily. It hadn't really sunk in until he'd seen their names together like that. It felt good.

Sighing to himself, he continued down the corridor. He was supposed to meet with Commander Taglar in engineering for a tour and he needed to hurry to be on time.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

When Chance finally woke, his head felt heavy from all the partying but he forced himself up, waking Tara as he climbed off the bed.

"Humph, time to get up already," she growled. She wasn't a morning person either much to his amusement.

He leaned down and kissed her. "Yep, move your tush, love," he said, then left her for the bathroom, hoping it wasn't busy considering all the people in the house but he was lucky. Sighing in relief, he took a quick, wake up shower, then went to get dressed. Tara was finally up and making a dash for the bathroom too. After dressing, he packed his things, looked around his old bedroom one more time, smiling quietly to himself, before leaving to go downstairs.

It was later in the day than they'd thought it would be when they all woke up to greet the day but, hey, it'd been really late when they'd gone to bed. Chance went to the kitchen and wasn't really surprised to see his mother and grandmother already up and making a combination breakfast/lunch for everyone.

"Chance, did you get enough sleep, hon?" his mother asked, handing him a glass of milk and kissing his cheek. "Where's Tara?"

"Oh, you know me, mom, I never think it's enough but I need to get going soon. Tara's in the shower. Jake up yet?"

"Haven't seen him. That is one handsome wolf your friend captured for himself, Chance and you wouldn't do so bad with Tara. We all like her."

"Yea, I know mom, I like her too. We'll have to see where it goes. As for Genus, he's great and loves Jake to death. And what's even better, he understands most everything that fertile brain of Jake spouts out. That gives him a thumbs up in my book," Chance laughed.

"I'm just thankful he's found someone to love him. I know it was hard for him being alone with no family and you've been a good friend to him but he needed someone who loved him as only a mate can," his mother said quietly.

"They're not mates yet, mom."

"They might think so, son, but the rest of us can easily they most certainly are."

"Yea, okay. I bow to your expert knowledge," he said, smirking. She fetched him a swat to the head then went back to her cooking as he rubbed his head and smiled.

The back door opened and in came Donar followed by Genus and Jake. Tara arrived from upstairs at the same time.

"Ahh, here they all are. Welcome! Eat or you won't get anything when the herd arrives," his mother said cheerily.

"Thank you kind fem. Your food is excellent by the way," Donar said, smiling warmly. He really like Furlong's family. Each of the wolves got some food and thanked the she-kats profusely.

Genus and Jake loaded up plates of food and sat down to talk with Chance's grandfather who'd just come in. Tara received a hug from Chance's mother and grandmother before being handed a plate and told to eat up. She smiled and grabbed some food then sat next to Chance.

Soon everyone was chowing down as more members of the household began to appear. In very little time the air was filled with soft chatter. Knowing Chance would be leaving today, everyone made an effort to get up so they could see him and his partner off. After filling their bellies, the wolves said farewell. Their shuttles took off forty minutes later amid shouts, squeals and shouts of goodbye, as well as last minute hugs by Chance and Jake with Tara and Genus.

Another hour later and it was Chance and Jake's turn. A large crowd of family hugged and cried as they said their farewells to Chance. Finally, his close family, mother, grandparents and siblings made their tearful farewells, hugging him for all they were worth.

"Take care of yourself, son and return to us safely when you pass this way again," his mother said, her eyes filled with tears as she reluctantly released her oldest and stepped back, her father pulled her into a hug to comfort her, her mother on her other side.

"I will mom, promise. Love you all," Chance said, climbing on his bike as Jake waited on his nearby. Not wanting to drag out this painful goodbye, he turned on his engine, put his helmet on, waved one last time, then gunned the motor that roared loudly and sped off like a rocket, his partner right by his side like always.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

They flew along the road, a blur no one could really see as they sped to the other side of the city to the salvage yard. Driving into the quiet yard, no one was around as they drove to the secret entrance to the hangar.

Parking, the engines were shut off at nearly the same time and silence fell as they took their helmets off. Chance looked around.

"Wow! Looks just like when we first came down here except for her of course." He tossed a thumb at the jet on its turntable. "You really cleaned the place out. So let me get to my own packing and we can go."

He headed for the ladder followed closely by his partner. They walked through the empty garage, all personal items and tools gone, and up the stairs to their apartment. Chance headed right for his room then waited for Jake to remove his nasty little device.

"Want me to pack your clothes?" Jake asked, grabbing a box.

"Sure, that'd be great," Chance said, moving with another box to his comic collection and beginning to put them carefully inside. He stopped and looked at them sadly. Turning to his friend he said, "I'm going to miss getting these," he waved the comic at his friend.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you wouldn't be able to get those. Hey, I wonder if you could have your family get them for you. Just leave them some money, tell them what you collect and they'll have them waiting for you when you stop by," Jake suggested.

"Dang, you're right. I should have done that in the first place." Chance wanted to kick himself for not thinking of it. While he remembered, he pulled out his phone and called his sister.

"Hey sis!... yea I know I just left but I just remembered something and I wonder if you'd do me a favor..." He went on to explain what he wanted and was pleased when she agreed. He gave her the information and said he would send her the money. She forbid it.

"Let me do this for you, bro. It would be something I can do for my starship trooper," she laughed, referring to a science fiction movie they both liked. Anything else you might have forgotten?"

"Uh..." he thought hard, scratching his head.

"Scaredy Kat..." Jake prompted, smirking.

"Oh yeah, dang...but how...oh right...hey sis, would you be willing to record Scaredy Kat cartoons for me?"

"Oh Lord, the kittens love that stupid show, no surprise you would too. Sure no problem. Anything else?"

"Nope, that's it. Thanks sis, you're the greatest," Chance said warmly.

"Anytime, brother mine. Love you."

"Love you too, bye." He hung up. "Thanks Jake. That will be something I'll look forward to besides family of course, when I come to visit." Smiling, he went about packing again.

"That's what I'm here for, buddy," Jake said amused.

In very little time they finished up packing Chance's room. They carried the boxes down to the hangar to put in the jet. It took about three trips total before they were done and locking up the jet again, each with a backpack.

"Okay, where to first?" Chance asked, holding his helmet.

"Hmm, how about our favorite mondo pepper place, it is getting toward dinner time now," Jake suggested.

"Good idea. Hey, how about we look for seeds to plant our own in the...what did they call their garden area again?"

"The hydroponics section."

"Right."

"I should have thought of that," Jake snorted. "Yea, let's find a nursery before they close and load up with seeds."

"Copy that!" Chance said, grinning, starting his engine.

They zoomed off to shop for things that only could be gotten from their home to take with them. By the time they returned to sleep that evening, they had enough things on them to fill two more boxes. They laughed about that as they watched some TV then went to bed. Day one of their vacation was over.

The next morning was a bit cloudy but not too bad though it was the first sign of the rainy season beginning. After loading their two new boxes on the jet, they took off for their favorite eatery for breakfast and enjoyed the familiar sights and old friends they knew. As they mounted their bikes and prepared to leave, Jake's comm unit went off.

Surprised, they paused so he could answer it.

"Yes, Ms. Briggs, what's going on?"

"Hi Razor. No trouble. Just needed to catch you guys and have you come to city hall for an official hand off of the Enforcer Command from Feral to Colonel Sharpclaws. I want you to appear and announce your retirement as well. Also, I would like you to reveal yourself so you and your families can be honored for all your years of selfless defense of our city."

"Crud, Callie, you really sound like a politician now," Jake snorted.

"?" She wondered why he sounded so familiar when he called her by her first name. "Uh, sorry. I'm having to learn to do that now that I am Mayor."

"Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't, it was just a surprise to receive such a speech ourselves," Jake chuckled.

"Oh...yes...sorry," she muttered, embarrassed. "Anyway, could you please appear at one today?"

Jake blinked then looked at his watch...it was going on ten now. "Well, yeah I guess we can do that. Where?"

"On the steps of city hall and thanks, Razor."

"You're welcome." The connection cut off and Jake put away the comm in his pocket. "So, I guess we have an appointment at one then."

Chance snorted. "Where to until then?"

Jake thought a moment and suggested a few places. They picked one and were off again.