RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


"That was the most amazing tour," Ulysses Feral sighed, his eyes closed and his body immersed in a frothing hot tub.

"I agree. Glad we were able to check it out. Those fountains were incredibly beautiful and the art work breathtaking," Kam rumbled, sitting behind his mate and gently circling one of Uly's nipples. He wasn't trying to arouse the tom, though, as they had already indulged in some vigorous sex when they returned to their hotel.

"I'm glad you pushed me to do this around the world thing. I would have never realized just how much was out there to see. Now I'll have an album full of pics to remind me of what my home truly looks like and not just Megakat City."

"My pleasure, my love. It was just as wonderful for me. Whenever I get the chance to spend more than just a few hours or days on a planet, it's exciting to see the sights and immerse myself in a new culture."

Feral chuckled. "Yea, for you it's a new culture but for me it's supposed to be home and I have never seen all of it. Thank you for that."

"You're welcome, handsome."

"So where to next?"

"Hmm, I believe its to an ancient city within the Tymurr Federation."

"Oh yes, I've dealt with them before and visited briefly to retrieve a prisoner. It's an incredible city built entirely of some kind of stone from the region. I remember being very impressed and wishing I had time to really look around."

"Well, now's your chance," Kam chuckled.

They were silent for several long minutes.

"I never thought I'd be doing something like this while still in the prime of my life. It was something to do in the distant future when I was probably too old and damaged to do anything but dream about it," Ulysses mused. "But then you came along and here we are."

"And I never dreamed I would be blessed with a mate. Stopping here at your world was the most incredible life-altering thing of my life," Kam said sincerely, brushing a kiss along his mate's temple.

"The same is true of me. I thought I'd be alone forever as I never made time nor allowed anyone close enough to me to try for any kind of relationship. Maybe I was waiting for you," Ulysses murmured, turning in his mate's arms and kissing him deeply to show just how much he appreciated this once in a lifetime occurrence.

Kam sighed happily, kissing his mate back.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Back in Megakat City, Jake and Chance were having a heart to heart talk.

"All the omegas have been dealt with except for the Pastmaster and Callie's all ready to handle him. The other criminal elements of the city are already feeling the pinch from the better trained and equipped Enforcers even without the robots," Chance mused.

"Yea, and I got an update from Lt. Donar that the first finished robots were on their way to the Enforcers for further training as we speak."

"Further training? I thought all they had to be was programmed." Chance frowned, confused.

"They are programmed but they need to learn how to use that programming in real life instances. For that to work, each is to be paired with a Kat partner then go through a special training course to teach them how to work together," Jake explained.

"Oh...then that means it may be a bit longer before there are robots on the patrols."

"It won't take too long really, perhaps two months. Robots learn fast but the Kat partners will be the ones who will take longer to get used to working with them and learning to trust one as they would a living partner."

"Well that's good to know. I feel much better about this city's chances of keeping the peace we've finally won."

"So do I. That brings us to what we're going to do now that we're no longer really needed. It was cool that Callie found a way to expunge our debt to the Enforcers so that's no longer over our heads," Jake commented.

"Yea, that was the best news ever," Chance agreed then shifted uneasily on the couch. The next conversation made him uncomfortable but they had to discuss it now. "So, how are you and Genus getting along?"

Jake eyed his partner silently a moment. He knew what Chance was really asking. "I love him and he loves me. I think we might become mates though we're not as fortunate as Feral to be bonded," he said softly.

That admission stabbed Chance through the heart. It wasn't as if he hadn't expected this but hearing it spoken aloud had made it more definite and left him still undecided about his own future and how he would deal with losing his longtime friend if he chose not to go along.

"So, you'll go into space with him," he asked slowly.

"Yes." There was no hesitation. "What about you?" Jake asked carefully. He truly couldn't bear leaving his partner of so many years behind but he couldn't leave Genus either. This decision was already tearing his heart apart.

Chance grimaced, tilting his head back to stare at the chipped and peeling ceiling. "I don't know. I like Tara...a lot but love her...not yet and maybe never. But even if she and I never work out, that isn't what has me hesitant. I do have family here, buddy. It will be hard to leave them."

Jake winced. Somehow he'd forgotten about that. He was alone in the world except for Chance so leaving was easier for him just as it was for Feral. "I don't know what to tell you, buddy. I've been promised by Genus that we will be stopping by here especially if it becomes a member of the galactic community," he said earnestly.

"Yea, but there's no certainty of that happening as yet, though I hope it does. But the visits by the Wotan would be years apart. A long time to be separated from family that I already haven't seen much of and my grandparents are up there in age as well," the tabby reminded him.

"True. Then I guess you should just speak with them, Chance. See what they say. You know I want you with me but I won't press you on it. It must be your decision."

"I know but I'd hate to lose you to space. And I'm afraid if I don't go, I'll regret it. I mean this is a once in a lifetime offer to learn to fly a spaceship and see other worlds. I'm just so torn," Chance groaned, bending forward and putting his face in his paws.

Jake put a comforting arm over his distressed friend's shoulders. "I know, I'm sorry."

Chance shook his head. "You know I'll have to tell them I'm a SWAT Kat."

"Yes, I realize that because when I leave you won't be one any longer unless you decide to take another partner but then I don't know if you'll see much action to bother."

"That's why I feel it's important to tell them. I have no desire to be a SWAT Kat without you. You're right about our time being over. I need to move on to other things but I have no idea what that might be so talking with my family might help me come to a decision."

"When will you go to see them?"

Chance looked up then stared around the garage. No cars were there to be fixed as they had decided to close it permanently even before they'd discussed giving up being the SWAT Kats. He wouldn't miss this part of his life but he would miss the adventure and excitement of being a hero. However, going into space might be the right decision except for one major stumbling block.

"Probably go this week, but Jake there's one more thing about going into space...we've been in control of our own lives and choices for years. Are you sure you can handle being under someone else's command again?" He asked seriously.

"Honestly, I hadn't thought about it, Chance, but you're right, we have gotten used to being our own bosses. However, now that I really think about it, I realize I'm tired of being a lone ranger and feeling responsible for the safety of an entire city. Older and, I hope wiser, I think I won't have a problem accepting the orders of someone like Captain Ing. He's impressed me as a kind, but firm, and excellent leader of his people. Unlike being under Feral's command, I won't be as frustrated because the Wotan's mission is far different from the Enforcers. So, no, I won't regret giving up control, it will actually be a relief," Jake said, sincerely.

Chance stared at him for a long time, thinking deeply about what his best friend had said. Then he nodded. "That's what had me concerned. I liked being in control and aboard the Wotan, I wouldn't be. Could I handle that? I don't know. But hearing you state it like that has given me a more clearer idea of what I would be getting myself into if I went with you and you're right, what we'd be doing is a way different from being an Enforcer and a SWAT Kat, for that matter. That may be what decides me about going."

"Glad I could help. Oh, I haven't had a chance to tell you this but I've been told I will have a lab of my own to invent to my hearts content and, if I want to, I can be a member of an insertion team. My life will be filled with new adventures so I won't miss being a SWAT Kat as much as I thought I would. It doesn't hurt that I won't be alone either. Genus is just so wonderful and I feel lucky to have found him. I so can't wait to leave," Jake said, eyes bright with excitement.

His partner sighed. A warmth spread through him at seeing just how happy Jake was but would going into space be the same for him? He still wasn't certain. He had wanted a family eventually, would going into space keep him from that or would he find someone like Jake had? So many questions. It was beginning to hurt his brain.

"I'm very glad you've found someone who makes you so happy, buddy," he said, smiling warmly. "I was told I'd be a pilot but what else I'd be doing, I have no idea. To be honest, I never asked Captain Ing. So, I guess that's something else I need to check on to help me make a decision. Meanwhile, you've given me plenty to think about and much of it will help me when I go discuss this with my family so thank you." Jake nodded quietly. "This is going to be really hard but I'll let you know what my answer will be soon."

"I understand. Well, if there's nothing more to say, I and Genus are going to see the sights. Sort of a round the world tour just like Feral is doing right now with his mate. If you decide to go, you should consider doing the same thing...building strong memories of home before stepping out into space."

"I may not go see the world, but I will take in more of Megakat City and spend a lot of time with my family if I do decide to go. I guess I won't see you for...what...a month?" Chance asked, smiling warmly as he gave his friend a hug.

"Yea, pretty much. That should be long enough for both of us then we will spend time, just you and I, visiting all our favorite haunts together, okay?" Jake asked, hugging his friend back.

"Great idea. I like that. I'll see you in a month then." Chance felt a small pang in his chest as he and his best friend in the world parted for a time.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

A few days later, Chance stood before a nice two story home with a fenced yard and a huge old oak tree hovering over the home on the right side of it. The closest neighbor was about a block away.

This was not the home he'd grown up in. That had been a small apartment on the upper west side when his father was a young enforcer. When he was killed in the line of duty, it hurt too much for his mother to stay there so she moved them to live with her parents. This house was theirs and had been in the Furlong family for more than fifty years. He'd loved it here and had many fond memories of his siblings and grandparents. Being the oldest, he'd shoulder the responsibilities of being the 'male' of the house despite the presence of his grandfather.

His grandfather had been the one to foster the young tom's love of cars and taught him how to repair them. They had all been proud when he'd become an enforcer and was touted as being the best pilot the force had seen in a while. It hadn't gone so well when he'd been kicked out years later.

It had split him from his brother who thought he'd brought his ousting on himself because he was such a hot head. His mother refused to take sides but was disappointed in him as were his grandparents. His sister, on the other paw, staunchly stood by him and thought Feral was a dickhead. Chance had roared with laughter when she'd said that to him.

As he stood on the sidewalk looking at the home that hadn't really changed much in all these years, he wondered how they would react to learning he'd been a vigilante all this time. Shaking his head, well he wasn't going to find out until he talked to them. He'd called two days ago and had asked that all his family attend a special meeting.

Hopefully, they were all inside waiting. By the looks of the number of cars nearby, most of them were. Taking a deep breath, he opened the gate and walked the brick pathway to the broad porch, leaping the three steps, to knock firmly on the front door.

Squeals could be heard through the heavy door letting him know his sibs kittens were about. The door swung open to the smiling face of his mother who hugged him tightly.

"Chance! So good to see you after so long...come in...come in," she urged him, stepping back to allow him entrance.

As he'd surmised, the younger of his nieces and nephews were just inside and once they saw him, they squealed and leaped onto him. The older ones watched him from the doorway to the huge parlor, not willing to make a spectacle of themselves by clamoring around their uncle.

He could hardly walk as he carried some kittens while others were clinging to his legs as he followed his mother into the parlor. He was relieved to see his brother had been willing to see him despite their bitter differences. The darker tabby eyed him from a stuffed chair near the fireplace. The kittens were encouraged to let go of their uncle so Chance could sit down.

Everyone gathered with bottles of milk, soda, coffee, or tea, around him. At first, the conversation was all about the kittens, their jobs, and what they'd all been up to the past few years since they'd last seen him. Dinner brought up the gabfest for a little as everyone pitched in making it and serving it at a huge dining room table. The meal was accompanied by light banter. Chance deliberately refused to talk about why they were meeting like this in the first place. He deflected any deep questions while asking a great many of his own. About himself, he would only talk about the garage and his best friend, but nothing else.

When dinner was over, the food had been put away and the dishes done, they gathered once more in the parlor. The youngest kittens had been sent to bed. The older ones in their teens had been allowed to stay and listen. Everyone settled down and waited to hear what Chance had to say.

"First of all, I want to admit that I have been keeping something secret from you." Exclamations of dismay, anger, and surprise met that statement. Chance held up his paws, asking for patience.

"The reason was to keep you safe from my enemies but now that is no longer necessary. If you would please sit and wait a moment, I'll show you why as that will easier than trying to explain it." Chance turned and left the room. He grabbed the backpack he'd brought from the foyer and went into the bathroom. He changed quickly and strode nervously back in the room.

"Holy crap! It's T-Bone!" his fourteen year old nephew Jacob blurted. They all gaped at him in shock for a long moment as they stared at him then a few voiced suspicions that this might be a joke.

"What gives, Chance? Is this a prank because if it is, it's not funny." His brother demanded, not impressed nor happy with what he thought was a charade.

His mother was pale and shaking her head, not certain what to think. His grandfather frowned and his grandmother had a paw to her mouth, disbelief in her eyes. His sister looked excited and pleased while the teens were in awe.

"No, Dereck. I'm exactly who I look like, T-Bone, a SWAT KAT." He demonstrated by revealing some of the gadgets on his glovatrix. "My cyclotron is parked out of sight and I'll show it to you later. I can even call the Turbokat to me if you insist," he stated firmly, his face serious.

"No, your words good enough for me, Chance. Though you can be a jokester at times, I seriously doubt you would have gathered us all here to pull such an elaborate hoax. But why are you telling us this now?" his grandfather asked, concerned.

"Well I'm not convinced," his brother muttered but didn't argue.

"Because we're no longer needed," Chance said plainly then turned to his mother, "I'm sorry, mom. When Jake and I were booted out we just couldn't stand by and watch the omegas kick the Enforcers tails and get away to do it all over again. So Jake came up with this plan to get us back into fighting crime. And that's how we became the SWAT Kats. We didn't tell you because our enemies wouldn't hesitate to hurt you to get to us."

"Well I'll be...I never would have thought you'd do something like this...be a vigilante," his grandfather said, disappointed but also rather proud.

Chance's face colored and he hung his head a moment knowing he'd disappointed his family a little. "Yes sir, I know but it just seemed right." He looked up again, face proud and unapologetic. "And I would do it again if need be but thanks to the visitors from space and our own efforts, the omega threat is finally over."

"Does that mean the SWAT Kats are quitting?" His sister asked, dismayed. She thought it was the coolest thing that her brother was a SWAT Kat. The Furlongs were going to be in the history books for this. She was very proud of him.

"Yes, I'm afraid so, sis. We've done what we meant to do and with the city safe once more, it's now time for us to let the newly beefed up Enforcers take over and we do something else. And that's why I've asked you all here. I need your help making a very big decision." He pulled his mask off and rubbed his neck.

He stared into each of their eyes earnestly. "You see, I've been asked to join the crew of the Wotan as one of their pilots and explorers. It's an incredible opportunity for me to learn to fly spaceships and see other worlds but..." He stopped when he saw the looks on their faces.

All of them, even his doubtful brother, stared at him in open mouthed shock.

"You're leaving us again? But...we've just learned you've been a hero to the city all this time and now when everything's finally peaceful, you're not even staying to enjoy it?" His mother choked out, more than a little upset by this turn of events.

"Perhaps Chance, you should let us absorb the first shocking news before trying to get us to discuss another set of stunning news, eh?" His grandfather said, a bit taken aback as well.

"Of course, granddad. I understand." Chance went to sit on a nearby wooden chair, turning it around so he could lean on the back of it. "How about you all ask me questions. I know you're dying to so let's do that for now. At least you'll know what my life has truly been like since I left the Enforcers."

His offer was immediately taken up and he was bombarded with questions. They didn't run dry until the moon was rising. Sated for the time being, they all said good night and went to the rooms given them for the night. They would meet again in the morning to discuss the other subject.

Kissing her son on the cheek, his mother said, softly. "For what's worth Chance, I'm proud of you. Your father would have been too, once he got over you becoming a vigilante, that is," she smirked.

Chance blushed and smiled, pleased she had accepted what he'd done. He kissed her back then slipped into his old room. Sighing, he stared out his window at the familiar view before turning in.

The next day, he dressed in his SWAT Kat gear and after a huge breakfast where his younger nieces and nephews gaped at him in surprise and when they learned it was their uncle, amazed joy, he offered rides to all of them in the Turbokat.

Surprisingly, even his disbelieving brother volunteered to take a ride if he produced the jet. Since the neighborhood wasn't the ideal place for this, he invited them to go to the ball field that wasn't in use right now and meet him there.

Thirty minutes later, the Furlong clan stood beside the bleachers of the field and watched in awe as the sleek looking jet began to descend from the sky controlled by T-Bone standing beside a cool looking bike.

When the jet smoothly touched down, his brother Dereck could only gape at it.

Smirking behind his mask, T-Bone asked innocently, "well, brother, believe me now?"

"Incredible! I'm just floored that you had the balls to do this!"

"Dereck!" his mother, grandmother and wife snapped at him for swearing but his brother didn't care. He was simply too blown away.

"So, whose going up with me in the cockpit and who wants to ride in the back?" T-Bone asked loudly. It was settled that all the kittens and family would ride in the cargo hold but the first two to ride with T-Bone in the cockpit would be his brother and sister.

After more than two hours, everyone had a chance to sit in the cockpit if they wanted to. The more adventurous went on a skilled and hair-raising ride that demonstrated why T-Bone was the best pilot there was alive. The ones watching from the ground were amazed at his flying skills.

Once back on the ground, T-Bone sent the jet homeward and they all enjoyed a picnic lunch. Then, when they were done, he gave rides to the kittens on his cyclotron. Finishing up their fun day, he demonstrated a few of the special gimmicks his glovatrix could do. The kittens were all tired but thrilled to have been lucky enough to have a SWAT Kat for a relative. They couldn't wait to tell their friends, though they did ask their uncle if it was alright first.

Everyone returned to the Furlong home to make dinner. Chance changed his clothes and gave a paw in the preparations of the meal. Conversation around the dinner table was animated and full of questions.

His grandfather allowed him to hide the cyclotron in the garage and when the kittens had been sent to bed, the adults went out to give the bike a closer look.

"Your partner is a genius. What an amazing looking bike," his grandfather said, admiringly.

"Yeah, he's that alright. That's why the Wotan wants him so badly. They told him he could go so much further in space than if he stayed," Chance said, a hint of sadness in his voice and eyes that his mother didn't miss.

"He's leaving then?" She asked.

"Yes, he's met someone from the ship and fell in love. He's truly looking forward to going but is torn about leaving me."

"You're not certain you want to go?" She asked gently.

"I...I haven't seen any of you much in the last few years, for obvious reasons. Now that I have time, I'm torn about what I'll do with my life from now on. If I turn down the offer will I kick myself with regrets later? Should I stay and when the Wotan returns go then? Or should I go now and be trained with my best buddy then drop in to visit when we pass by here knowing it could be years in between before we see each other again. That's why I wanted to speak with you all. I'm so torn about this it hurts."

Everyone was silent for a long while then his grandfather put his arm around his troubled grandson's shoulders.

"Chance, why don't we all head to bed and think on this? Perhaps in the morning someone will be able to guide you on what to do because I can tell you plainly, I would want you to stay around longer but that's just my preference."

Chance gave him a weak smile and they all troop inside and went to their assigned rooms for the night.