RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


 WOLVES OF ARCANUS

Chapter 37: It’s a New Day

Feral rolled his eyes and sighed.  “We’ve kept everyone out of the loop so that people wouldn’t panic while we investigated everything the archivist uncovered.  That report was a powder keg that had to be dealt with first and foremost.”

“Taking the Mayor out wasn’t first priority in all this?” Jaystar demanded, getting annoyed at all these surprises the pair was dropping on him.

“We didn’t know he was the reason at first.  Believe me, when you read that report, you’ll know just how serious the other threats to the city were.  He was just the reason for why they all happened in the first place.  And, if it weren’t for our alien visitors, we could have blithely gone on not knowing we were sitting on a deadly powder keg that would eventually cause our city to fall to one of the omegas.  We have the Arcanians to thank for advising us to look deeper into the reasons our problems kept repeating themselves.”

“It was Capt Ing’s comment to me about how I needed help to follow-up on the disposition of omegas that lead me to realize it wasn’t being done in the first place.  Dr. Sinian was with us that day and it was she who suggested sending someone to do a thorough investigation into our case files.  That is how we all discovered what was really going on behind our backs by Mayor Manx,” Callie interjected.

Shaking his head, the city prosecutor sat on the edge of his seat and leaned toward the Commander.  “You’d better start explaining....from the beginning!”

Eyeing the tom with a glint of amusement in his eyes, Feral gave Jaystar a quick and dirty thumbnail of just what occurred when their interstellar visitors ‘dropped’ in.

Jaystar’s eyes were nearly popping out of his head by the time the Commander covered most of the amazing occurrences and paused to moisten his dry mouth.

“Utterly amazing! So to sum it up....we’re truly free of all the omegas, except for the Pastmaster and we’ve got new weapons, vehicles, and aircraft for the enforcers, plus new robotic assistance, a new Mayor who’s a sorcerer, and a chance to be a part of a huge galactic community that will hurl us more than a decade into the future......anything else I should know?” he asked, faintly overwhelmed and wishing for a good stiff drink about now.

Feral didn’t say anything as he stood and went to get something from his small refreshment area where he had a mini fridge beneath the coffee machine.  He pulled a bottle out and grabbed some glasses then returned to his companions.

“I do believe you might want a nip before I say anything more,” he said, smiling a bit tightly as he poured a glass of bourbon and eyed the deputy mayor questioningly.

“Yeah, pour me one,”  Callie sighed....it had been a long night.

After handing her a drink, the dark tom filled another for Jaystar, handed it to him, then sat down with his own glass and took a healthy swallow before eyeing the tom intently.

“The only thing you’ve not heard yet was why I would be leaving.”

Jaystar grimaced then took another big swallow of his drink to fortify himself.  He had a feeling he was in for another shock.

Feral leaned back and stared up at the ceiling.  “Lt. Kam, the leader of the insertion team from the Wotan,  was there to feel out our defenses so he had to get close to me.  However, what neither of us expected was to be intensely attracted the moment we stared into each others eyes. I give us both kudos for having such strong wills that we  managed to keep from crossing the line of propriety for nearly two and half weeks before the tension and need became too great.  I’ve never allowed my personal feelings to sway me from my duty but that day, Dark Kat could have blown in and I wouldn’t have known or cared.”

Jaystar gaped at him for a long moment before managing to blurt, “wha.....I never knew you swung that way....uh...not that it’s any business of mine....” His face burned with embarrassment.

“I don’t.”

The prosecutor blinked in bewilderment then snorted, “oh sure....this was just a one time occurrence...or was it because the wolf being alien just shook your tree?” His voice dripped disbelief as he tried desperately to grabble with all Feral was telling him.

Feral didn’t take offense and smiled instead which made Jaystar wonder what he’d missed.

“I don’t consider myself gay.....more like bi even though I’m an hermaphrodite.  However, I never allowed a male to take me that way until I met Kam.  Still, I was rather shocked I so willingly let him take what I wouldn’t allow any other male to have,” he said, shaking his head, still amazed at his sudden capitulation.

Jaystar spit out the mouthful of alcohol he’d drunk and had to grab a napkin to clean up his shirt and pants.  Sputtering, he gasped, “you’re an hermaphrodite? Wow, you hid that well. He must be truly hot for you to just fall all over yourself like that.”

“Oh yes, he’s that alright, Feral smirked then he sighed.  “At first, for me it was just incredible sex but the longer we were together the more attached I became.   Later, after the death of Dark Kat and learning Kam was an alien,  I realized he would have to leave me behind and I was stunned to find myself devastated and torn emotionally about it.  He too knew we had to part but something within him snapped and pushed him into a mating rut, forcing him to take me rather violently.  At that moment, I completely surrendered and knew I would always be his and never leave his side. That’s when I knew we were soul mates. I’ve never felt so complete before.”

“Wow, that’s amazing.  Congratulations on being so fortunate on finding a soul mate, Commander, but I gotta say, it’s really weird that an alien was your perfect match,” Jaystar said, shaking his head as he drank more of his bourbon.

“You won’t get an argument from me on that.”

“So, since he’s an alien and has to leave and you’re bonded to him, this is why you have decided to leave?” Jaystar asked, thoughtfully.

“Yes.  It was a tough decision but I knew I couldn’t take Kam from his exciting life aboard a starship so after speaking with Capt Ing, who told me I could return to Aristal on visits even though it would be years in between, I agreed.  It was no real hardship for me as I  have no family left.   And, anyway, why would anyone turn down a chance to travel in space?  I even get to learn to fly a starship.  I’m looking forward to it,” Feral grinned.

“Oh, I agree with you.  What a fantastic opportunity.  You’re a brave Kat for wanting to leave your world though, I salute you.  You’ll be the first one of us to see the stars.” Jaystar saluted him with his nearly empty glass and smiled broadly.

“Thank you, but I may not be the only one taking the plunge,” Feral corrected him.

Jaystar stared at him askance.  “Oh come on! Just how much more can you possibly shock me with now?”

Feral didn’t speak, only glanced over at Callie questioningly.

She rolled her eyes but willingly took up the tale.  “Well it appears Razor has taken a serious shine to Genus, the team’s engineer and T-Bone has been flirting with Tara, their medical and communications officer.  They’ve both been asked if they’d like to join the crew of the Wotan.  They haven’t said yes yet, but things look like they might.”

“Hmm, well with so little for them to do, they really won’t be missed,” Jaystar snorted, rather pleased he wouldn’t have to deal with those two vigilantes. 

“Well, you might not miss them but there are a lot of Katizens that will including me,” Callie said, annoyed.  “Also, that isn’t the only news, though mine is not to be revealed unless it must.”

“Please tell me you aren’t leaving too?  Wait....that wouldn’t be right....you already said you were willing to be Mayor.  Okay, I’ll bite....what is your secret?” Jaystar sighed.

“Dr. Sinian and I have committed to each other,” she said, lightly.

Feral blinked in surprise.  “Really? I didn’t realize you two were even dating. Congratulations.”

“Thank you, Ulysses. Abi’s the reason I was able to get through all that genetic testing then training to be a sorcerer.  She’s my rock and after secretly dating since the visitors arrived, I popped the question last night and she said yes.   I’m still getting used to not being alone any longer,” she said, a smile of contentment on her face.

“Wonderful feeling, isn’t it?” Feral murmured, toasting her with his glass.

“Yes, it certainly is.”

“So.....is that it?  Anymore incredible surprises you wish to shake my world with?” Jaystar asked rather tiredly.

Callie eyed Feral who returned her look and shrugged, shaking his head.  “Nope, guess that’s it,” she assured him as she finished her drink.

“Good! It’s certainly enough for me to chew on,” Jaystar sighed, rubbing his eyes for a moment.  “Well, guess its time to get some much needed rest, its going to be an extremely busy day for both of us tomorrow.....” he paused to look at his watch, “....uh...make that later today....it’s after two now.”

“Really! Oh my, better get going, myself,” Callie said, surprised to know it was that late.

“Good idea.  Just leave the glasses, my assistant will clean up.  Come on, I’ll see you both out,” Feral said, rising and making for the door. 

The two pulled on their jackets and headed out the door then down to the elevator. 

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

In the jail beneath Enforcer Headquarters, a chubby, former government official sat on a hard bunk in his dimly lit cell wearing an orange jumpsuit, his fancy nightwear having been confiscated.  His face was in his palms and he was moaning softly.  “How could all this have happened?  I was soo careful.” He remembered the humiliating call he had to make after speaking with his lawyer who was definitely no help at all.

“I need help!” He squeaked anxiously into the phone, while behind him, his fellow prisoners were making their own urgent calls.

“What’s happened,” a deep and annoyed voice asked.

“I’ve been arrested along with all those that helped you,” Manx hissed.

“You fool! The phones are tapped.  Hang up....someone will get with you later!” The voice snarled, then hung up.

Manx stared at the receiver a moment in shock then hung it up.  Shivering, he wondered if his contact would be helping him or saving the city the cost of a trial.  Whatever decision the voice made,  there was nothing the fat tom could do about it now but hope he would still be living.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

As the clock on the wall softly chimed seven, Jake sighed and stretched as he set about making breakfast for himself and his partner.  A glance out his kitchen window, showed the clouds of the evening had blown off and the sun was shining brightly.

Except for the occasional twinge of a protesting muscle, he was feeling fantastic.  It was nearly two months since he’d been injured in Dark Kat’s former hideout.  It still amazed him to have no lasting effects except some minor muscle aches from the deadly fall he’d suffered. 

Not only was Chance thrilled to have him back in one piece, Genus wasted no time in checking him thoroughly before making love. 

As he finished cooking bacon and cracked some eggs for scrambling, he smiled in contentment.  Chance had briefed him that all their chores were completed and things around the city had been very peaceful.  It was so quiet, his friend admitted to spending a lot more time with a certain she-wolf.

Jake had asked him a few weeks ago, if they were getting serious.

“Well, I’m not sure.  I do like being with her.  She’s fun and very smart but doesn’t shove that into your face and the sex is hot,” Chance said, a small smile on his face as he remembered the night before.

“That’s great.  Glad you’re getting your own needs met, finally,” Jake smirked.

Chance snorted.  “I always got that but with Tara it’s different.” He shrugged, unable to describe what he felt any clearer.  He did like her...a lot but was it enough to just up and leave their world?  He was still torn about that. However, his resistance to the idea was starting to weaken as the thought of being able to fly a real starship made him excited.

Jake was hoping his partner and best friend would be willing to go as he had pretty much decided he couldn’t be without Genus but leaving his friend would be agonizing.  All he could do right now was wait and hope for the best.

He came back from his reverie in time to keep from burning the eggs which he poured onto two plates, added bacon and toast.  He was about to yell when his tousle headed friend appeared in the door, his nose twitching.

“Hmm, smells good, buddy.  So decided to make a full breakfast, eh?  What’s the occasion?”  Chance asked, taking a seat and beginning to dig in.

Jake chuckled as he poured two glasses of milk and set them on the table, putting the milk jug away.  He took a seat across from his friend.

“Just decided I wanted a hot breakfast.  It’s going to be a sunny day and I thought, since we have no work, I’d see if Genus is free and we could go to the beach.”

“Hey, good idea.  We deserve a vacation finally.  Maybe Tara is free too.....I’ll call her in a bit,” Chance said, grinning.

They finished up and set their dishes in the sink to wash later.  Jake went into the living room to flick on the TV so he could check the weather.  It might be sunny now but it could change by later in the day.  The news was just coming on.  Chance had gone to his room to comb his hair and find his cell phone.

“Holy cow!!! Chance come here!” Jake shouted when he heard what the news guy said.

“Huh! What’s up?”  Chance asked as he hurried into the living room.

“Listen!” Jake hissed, turning the sound up. 

When the news anchor finished and began to speak about something else, Jake lowered the sound and just stared in stunned disbelief at the screen.

Chance could only shake his head for a long moment before finally saying, “wow, I can’t believe it....who knew Manx had done all that?”

“I think I’ve had a suspicion these past few years but was always too busy to dig around a bit.  It certainly explains a lot of why so many things the archivist found were never dealt with in the first place and why the Enforcers were always short funded,” Jake growled, disgusted and angry.

“Well, I sure wouldn’t have thought that fat tom could have been responsible for being so underhanded.”

“Oh, I think he was certainly greedy enough but I’m not so sure he was smart enough to do something on this great a scale.  He had to have had help,” Jake said grimly, a thoughtful look on his face.

“Huh?  And who would help him besides all those councilkats that were arrested with him?

“They were just followers.....no....it’s someone powerful and well funded that’s running this from behind the scenes.  It’s our own fault that we haven’t been paying attention to the small mob families that are still located here and what they are up to.  One of them would have the kind of power to do this.”

Chance scowled.  “Weren’t the omegas bad enough.....now we have to worry about some nebulous group of thugs,” he said, disgusted.

“I don’t think that battle will be ours, buddy.” Jake said, slowly, shaking his head.

“What? Why wouldn’t it be?”

“Callie is Mayor now.  That’s her job and the revamped Enforcers.  After all, that’s what everyone was trying to do.....make them capable of handling things on their own.  No, buddy, this isn’t our fight any longer,” Jake sighed, rubbing his neck.

Chance stood there shocked but relaxed gradually as he thought about what Jake had said.  His friend was right.  This was exactly what the Enforcers were meant for and it wasn’t right for them to take that responsibility away from them.  Besides, that had never been the SWAT Kats mission in the first place. 

No, it was the Enforcer’s job and despite feeling rather odd at bowing out, he had to accept the fact that the time was past for the two of them to come to the rescue anymore.  

Shaking his head, he sighed.  When did he begin to realize the SWAT Kats weren’t a help but a hindrance?  When the omegas were disposed of and all the loose ends were taken care of......he gave his own answer.  So, maybe going into space was their next life’s course. 

He would have to think about this a bit more.