RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


A few hours later, the group returned to have dinner with the Captain. During the meal, a lively discussion circled the table about how the Wotan could help Megakat City deal with its omegas without seeming to interfere. Also, they discussed the best way to approach the governments of the world about the Wotan and their suggestion for setting up an interstellar way station.

"Do you think your people will be receptive to a way station?" Captain Ing asked when the subject came up.

"I wish I could say for certain. The fact that I think it's a great idea isn't enough to base a decision on. All we can do is broach the subject at the United Nations which is fortunately located in our city. I guess we could convince Mayor Manx it's a good idea and coax him to bring the idea up with the general assembly as soon as possible. If we can get past the shock barrier that we have visitors that don't mean us harm, then we'll see about introducing you to them so you can make your suggestion. Of course, you must understand, something of this magnitude could take years to decide." Feral said earnestly.

"That's understood. Just getting the subject heard is the first step the rest will follow at its own pace. That's what the diplomats are for and we have a good negotiating team on standby that does this for us. When we reach that point, we'll go home and bring a team back to hammer out the details with your United Nations but until then, I and my team would be happy to begin the process if we are permitted." Captain Ing promised.

"First, though, your omega problem must be dealt with." Major Weigland interjected.

"I agree but you're talking a permanent solution and that breaks out laws." Feral said flatly.

"No, what we propose is a more permanent solution by way of taking them from your world and incarcerating them off planet. The main problem we've seen you have is keeping these criminals in jail to serve their sentences. Taking them off planet will ensure they stay put."

Feral and the SWAT Kats blinked in surprise at that solution. But Feral still had a question.

"Uh...just how far off planet are we talking here?"

"An orbital prison around Aristal. We would help you build it and provide you with the schematics for converting your space probes into orbital ships. You're nearly ready for space so all were doing is giving you a small boost. Your people would be the ones manning it." Kam said, reassuringly.

Feral was stunned. It would indeed solve a major problem and move them into space far sooner then their own scientists projected them to be.

"Wow! That would solve it alright and move us into space finally.." Razor said, echoing Feral's thought, but he had one reservation. "However, that won't hold the Pastmaster."

"We know. I still have hopes what Lt. Tara has planned will solve that problem." Kam said.

"I still don't like that idea but I won't stand in your way when you present it to Ms. Briggs." Feral said slowly.

T-Bone scowled but didn't say anything. He'd already made his feelings on the subject very plain.

"Well then, it seems we've got our plans laid out and all that remains is to see them through. Commander Feral, I would appreciate it if you would initiate first contact with your Mayor with Kam as our representative as soon as possible. Our inadvertent battle in space will have stirred up fear among those that are aware of it. Quickly informing them of our good intentions, will prevent a back lash of negative publicity from the frightened masses once word got out." Ing said seriously. "Now let us enjoy this truly fine meal." He said firmly changing the subject for now."

"Of course, sir." Feral agreed readily, knowing the Captain was right about a possible backlash response.

With the main business out of the way, they enjoyed the rest of their meal, chatting and commenting on how impressed they were of the Wotan. When the meal was finished, the Captain bid them farewell but made a last request.

"Lt. Kam, if you would remain behind for a few minutes."

"Of course, sir."

Everyone filed out of the briefing room except for Kam. Feral had been hustled away by the rest of Kam's crew and was being escorted back to the hangar to prepare for their return trip to Aristal.

Captain Ing studied his lieutenant keenly. "Tennar came to see me and had some interesting news to relay." He began without preamble.

Kam blushed and looked down at his feet.

Ing gave his favorite officer (though he would never tell the young wolf that) a warm smile. The news had been a surprise but a happy one.

"I know this causes some problems for you, but allow me a moment to congratulate you on finding a soul mate. I am very pleased that you have been so blessed." Ing said sincerely.

"Thank you sir. I think so too and Ulysses is a rare find, but..." Kam said, eyes glittering with joy but also concern.

Ing raised his paw to interrupt him. "I know all about it. But Tennar feels strongly that this will solve itself and you know he's never wrong."

Kam let a sigh of relief ease out of him at that information. Commander Tennar was not only their Chief Medical Officer but also their seer. If he said something would be so, it was. They had been very fortunate to have someone of his talent aboard. It was why the Wotan had survived its many encounters over the years.

"That is very good news, sir. But I have one more piece of news to tell you that is probably why Commander Tennar was so confident." Kam said grinning happily.

"Oh, and what might that be?"

"My mate is willing to leave his home to go with us. He could not bear to take me from the stars and, as long as his home is safe, he is content to travel with us and return home on visits."

"Well, that is good news. I think he would be an important and talented addition to our crew when trained as well. This is excellent!" Ing said impressed and pleased.

"Thank you sir, I think so as well." Kam said, delight emanating from him.

"Now that matter is settled, you'd better report to the hangar on the double. We have a lot of work to do here before we're off again." Captain Ing said smiling in farewell.

"Yes sir." Kam saluted then left hurriedly to rejoin his crew waiting for him.

Feeling relief and joy about his new status, he was buoyant and ready for anything the next few months would bring them as they made this world ready for space and rid them of their deadly enemies and, perhaps, a much better prepared force if Donar's idea panned out.

His crew was already aboard their shuttle and the SWAT Kats were in their jet, its engines idling in preparation for departure. He quickly boarded, the door sealing up behind him as he headed for the pilot's seat.

His paw caressed his mate's back in passing, flashing Ulysses a warm smile and receiving one in return.

Once in his seat, his demeanor became all business. "Ready for departure!" He ordered

"Roger!" Came his crew's response.

Within moments the heavy thrum of the shuttles engines were felt. Checklists were done briskly and professionally, each member of the team calling out green lights signifying the ship's readiness for takeoff.

"Tara, request permission to depart!" Kam ordered.

Only a moment of silence passed before she responded with, "Permission granted, sir."

Kam gently engaged the engine and caused the ship to lift smoothly from its pad then glide slowly forward to the opening space doors. The Turbokat lifted just behind them and floated just as gracefully. Kam sent the shuttle soaring out into space and, once clear of the ship's gravity well, he shot them away to the planet below. Engaging their speed-o-heat shield and all four engines, the SWAT Kats followed close behind.

It had been decided the whole group would land at Enforcer Headquarters.

His second in command became alarmed when he received a call on his radio that an alien craft lead by the SWAT Kats was approaching their building. He immediately called an alert so that by the time the Turbokat came into view, the landing apron was fairly bristling with armament.

Feral got on the radio and called the tower, informing them that he was aboard and the visitor's weren't hostile. Still suspicious, Major Linston had SWAT remain on the flightline while they watched nervously as the alien craft landed just behind the Turbokat.

The door opened and Feral walked out first, causing his officers to relax a little. The SWAT Kats jumped down from their jet and walked over to join the crew of the shuttle. T-Bone moved close to Donar.

"I would love to fly that sweet ride sometime." He said, eyeing the shuttle admiringly.

"Maybe you'll get a chance to." Donar grinned, happy to accommodate a fellow pilot.

Feral barked orders to Major Linston, "Have them stand down. There's no cause for alarm."

"Yes sir." Linston said, saluting then giving commands for the SWAT to return to duty.

Feral led the way to his office and went straight to his desk to put in a call to the Mayor's office.

"Ms. Briggs. I need you to get the Mayor over to my office. I have some stunning news to tell you both as well as show you something. Please say nothing to anyone but get here quickly." Feral said briskly.

"Commander, what is going on? We heard you had been called to the observatory suddenly but nothing else." Ms. Briggs demanded, concern lacing her voice.

"You'll have your answers when you get here Ms. Briggs. I'm not saying anything over the phone."

Confused and annoyed, Callie agreed and hung up. Feral looked at the others.

"Is there anyone else you wish to have here for this meeting?" He asked Kam.

Kam looked at his crew questioningly.

"I think Dr. Sinian should be included because of the suggestion we're going to make of Ms. Briggs." Tara said immediately.

"You're right. Also, we should have Professor Hackle join us too. Perhaps it will convince him my plan will benefit all." Donar quickly agreed.

"There's your answer, Ulysses." Kam told Feral.

The dark tom nodded his agreement and got on the phone to the two parties they wanted here.

"I suggest we go get them and save time." Razor said.

Kam thought that was a great idea but waited until Feral was speaking with Dr. Sinian before signaling him.

"Just a moment , Dr. Sinian..." Feral said into the phone then looked questioningly at Kam.

"Razor suggests they go retrieve Dr. Sinian and Professor Hackle to save time." Kam told him.

Feral nodded his understanding and relayed that to Dr. Sinian then to Professor Hackle. By the time he hung up with the Professor, the SWAT Kats had already left on their errand.

"Sgt Fallon, go get some food and coffee for our guests. We'll be in my conference room." Feral told the older enforcer. Fallon turned smartly and hurried out.

"Alright, if you'll follow me, we'll wait for our guests in here, " Feral said, walking out of his office and into a large conference room next door. He paused long enough by his secretary's desk to tell her to have Major Linston report for this meeting as well.