RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Monday morning found Callie knee deep in projects, (the city's and her secret ones) and the normal workload of running the city. That was after she'd run a bug check first, got some coffee, then locked her door and warned her secretary she was not to be disturbed.

For the next blissful and busy hours, she managed to finish the normal morning correspondence, did some research on her special projects, and was presently working through the calls she had to make. What made things infinitely easier, was his honor, the mayor, had already left to go golfing by late morning and hadn't brought anything to her. She counted that as a huge blessing.

Just before lunch, a satisfied, Callie hung up the phone on the last call of the morning. Studying her two lists, she quickly recapped what was discussed, adding notes where required, for her records.

The first list was city business and took her only minutes to finish up and place in her suspense file. The second list, however, dealt with her secret projects and had been made on her cell phone for security reasons. This she went over more carefully, checking to see if she missed anything and adding notes for follow ups.

Her first call had been to her personal lawyer. She'd been lucky to catch Bryant Clount between court cases and quickly laid out Jake's project without going into too many specifics nor his identity. Despite the lack of pertinent information, Clount's curiosity was piqued.

"Why won't you tell me who this bright person is? Why all the secrecy?" He asked.

"The person and the project will be big news when it's released to the public and there are other issues as well which I won't discuss on the phone. Sorry for the all the cloak and dagger stuff but when you hear what I have to say you'll understand. My office isn't secure enough for this conversation so why don't you come by my apartment around one today."

"Your home?" He blurted, stunned. Briggs was notorious for protecting her privacy. "And why the urgency?"

"Again, I can't discuss it. Just trust me...can you make it?"

"Just a moment while I check ... I had a few cancellations..." he hummed to himself a moment. "We're in luck ... I have nothing until very late this afternoon. Give me your address, please..."

She rattled it off. "I'll see you there and will even provide lunch."

"Why thank you. Looking forward to it. Later then..." He disconnected the call.

She smiled in triumph at succeeding in getting him interested enough to put up with her being secretive but, then, that was why he was her lawyer.

Pausing a moment in thought, she frowned as she realized just how much more involved Bryant would have to be once he was briefed on what was required.

Shaking her head and sighing, Callie hated to have to reveal Jake's secret but as they'd discussed on Saturday, there really wasn't any way around it if they wanted all loopholes and problems solved from the beginning.

In her mind, she remembered what Jake had said at the beginning of their relationship and he'd asked advice from Professor Hackle. The inventor's response was a true gem. "You must trust someone, sometime, my young friend. I know your secret is how you keep you and those close to you safe but eventually you do need others in your life." The old scientist had been very right.

With most of the city's worst enemies no longer a real problem, Jake and Chance being taken back into the Enforcers with a new mission, the SWAT Kats slowly transitioning back into mainstream society, a new business venture beginning, and her running for mayor, they'd all acquired many new responsibilities. That meant a greater need to add a wider circle of people to help them. This necessitated more people knowing the big secret they were hiding. So how many were too many?

Right now, there was the therapist, Feral, and herself. She'd already been thinking Professor Hackle, Dr. Konway, and Mr. Young should be clued in because of their active involvement in the new project. And because of his vital role in insuring all this got set up legally ... Clount. Additionally, her new assistant and campaign manager (if they weren't the same person) would have to be included.

She sighed and shook her head, already the list longer than she liked but there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.

I guess it's a good thing the two are slowly getting out of the hero business now that they're back in the Enforcers. It's just sad they have to give it up sooner than they had wanted. Oh well, it is what it is, as Jake would say when he is being his most pragmatic.

Thinking about her lover made her smile. Saturday night and Sunday had been glorious. It was a shame Monday had to come and spoil it with reality. Already she missed him and would worry when he and Chance went undercover.

At least she knew she could defend herself while he was occupied. She'd already been assured she was proficient in using a mini-glovetrix and in hand-to-hand combat. Additionally, therapy and defense training had made sure the four of them were ready for anything, both emotionally and physically and turned them into a cohesive fighting team.

When she had finished the grueling training, the praise from her lover had made her warm and happy but it was the unexpected praise from Ulysses that had surprised and pleased her more. He'd told her he felt confident and safe having her watch his back. That was high praise indeed from someone who rarely gave such a thing to anyone.

Succeeding in becoming a team was timed well. When the shit storm hit, after she announced her political intentions, their friendship and love would be all that stood between them and the unrelenting pressure of an already tainted election.

That last fact rankled her. To know Megakat City had been undergoing a systematic invasion right under their very noses! It should have been a simple, straight forward, election, but no...they now had to weed out the spidery organization that had made deep inroads while the defenders attentions had been elsewhere. It was just aggravating.

Okay, enough wool gathering, I have other things that need doing, she chided herself.

Studying her list again, she made a special note next to the item about Frostburn. She had a contact she trusted, within the Council Archives and Files Section. Warning him to secrecy, she asked Joshua to dig out anything, no matter how small, about the Jackal Construction Company (one of Frostburn's shadow companies that had been associated with the two dirty councilors). She stressed the importance that he not be discovered doing this. He'd given her a knowing look and promised to get to it immediately. She suspected he might already be aware of something not quite right going on and that was why he was so willing to keep it secret.

The next thing on her list still rankled her. As she'd told Ulysses, she still couldn't find an assistant. All her personal contacts had come up empty. She hadn't thought it would be easy but a sudden dearth of assistants was totally unexpected and a bit suspicious.

She had a bad feeling her hidden competitor had already grabbed up the best in town or scared them off, leaving behind the barely trained, the slightly tarnished, and the downright incompetent. So she was grateful to Ulysses for the suggestion to ask Mr. Young. Speaking of which, that was her next call. She looked at her watch and saw it was just the start of the day for him in his time zone. Perfect!

Setting her list down, she pulled out her cell and speed dialed Mr. Young's personal number he'd given her. After four rings, he answered, sounding fresh and alert despite how early it was in his part of the world.

"Hello, Ms. Briggs, what can I do for you?"

"I hope I didn't catch you at a bad time..."

"No, your timing is impeccable as I am between meetings."

"Excellent. I need a personal meet to bring you up to date on the latest developments here and I need your help finding an assistant and someone for that other thing I had mentioned to you or someone who can do both. Seems someone has been grabbing qualified people up rather quickly around here." She was deliberately vague to prevent the wrong people listening in. Even though she'd checked for bugs, there was no reason to be careless now.

Knowing how precarious her position was, Mr. Young had no problem divining what she didn't say and be able to answer her in the same manner.

"Hmm, not a good situation and very suspicious. However, it is not insurmountable. It so happens, I might have the perfect persons. And may I say, fortune smiles on us both as I am scheduled to be in Megakat City on Wednesday this week. I suggest we meet at our favorite spot for lunch," he said warmly. "As for your request, allow me to speak with my prospects first before committing them to anything and if everything works out, I'll bring them to our meeting. Will that do?"

"Oh, definitely. You are wonderful for making the effort on my behalf and I'm very pleased that our schedules are going to work for this," Callie said, relieved and pleased they could meet much sooner than she'd hoped.

"Not at all. But save your thanks for when I am successful, Ms. Briggs and I am always pleased to be of assistance to you at any time. See you later this week," Mr. Young said warmly.

"Then I will wish you a successful hunt and see you then. Farewell." They both hung up. She wrote down the meeting date under the item on her list and sighed.

Since her first meeting with Mr. Young, they'd been working closely for weeks after on the project and campaign, forming a close friendship rather than what they really were ... business partners. He was a good listener, sharp observer, and she dearly loved his dry wit. He also had a core of steel and could be ruthless. She pitied anyone who underestimated him and was very glad he was firmly on her side. She couldn't wait to see him later this week.

Checking the time on her wristwatch, she saw it was time to leave for her meeting with her lawyer. Perfect! She tucked her secret list into her briefcase then gathered her other sensitive papers and shoved them into the case as well, leaving her daily office work on her desk to wait for her return.

Pulling out her purse from the bottom drawer of her desk, she flicked her computer off and stood up, absently tugging her clothing straight before heading out the door.

"Angie, I've got a personal meeting to attend. Be back around two thirty or so," she told her secretary as she passed by.

"Yes ma'am."

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

She stopped at her favorite Thai restaurant and picked up the take out she'd ordered while she was driving to their location. Hot food making her borrowed car smell heavenly, she made her way through midday traffic with practiced ease. She had to admit, the ugly little blue car did drive like a dream but she'd be glad when she was able to get herself one that suited her station.

As she approached her building, she saw her lawyer was leaning against his car and watching the traffic, hoping to spot her. However, since she wasn't in her normal sedan, he never glanced her way as she drove past him into the underground parking garage.

Pulling into her parking spot, she cut the engine. Reaching beside her, she grabbed her case, the take out bags, and pulled her purse strap over her arm then got out, locking the door behind her. Her heels made a loud tack-tack sound on the cement flooring as she walked briskly to the elevator. Stepping into the waiting car she pressed the button for the lobby.

"Hello, Ms. Briggs," the guard said when he saw her step from the elevator.

"Hello Reggie. See the tom standing out there?" She pointed outside the lobby doors. He nodded. "That's my lawyer. Would you escort him in please."

"Certainly ma'am." The powerfully built guard went past her and out the door. He spoke only a moment to Clount then turned and led the tom inside.

"Thank you Reggie," Callie said, warmly. The guard nodded with a smile then returned to his post while she turned and stepped back into the waiting elevator.

"I'm sorry but I didn't see you arrive," her lawyer apologized as he joined her in the car.

"No worries, Bryant. You wouldn't have known but my car is kaput and I'm using a loner." She hit the button for her floor.

"Oh, back in the shop again?" He asked solicitously, aware of her problems with her old sedan.

"No. It's had it and I'm in the market for a new one but haven't the time to hunt right now. Besides, it serves a purpose right now."

He frowned in confusion but when she didn't elaborate he kept silent and changed the subject. "Hmm! Something smells mighty good and spicy if I don't miss my guess," he said, grinning.

"It's Thai! My favorite. So glad you could make the time for me. I know it was a rather sudden request."

"I could hardly refuse when you hand me such an interesting mystery. Can't wait to hear what it is," he said, arching a curious eyebrow at her.

He was a handsome tom of medium built, dressed in a dark blue pinstriped suit paired with a baby blue silk dress shirt. The color matched his silver and black stripped fur beautifully. He had a full head of black, slightly wavy hair that he wore to his collar, which gave him a rather rakish air.

She had liked him instantly when she'd been introduced during one of the many fund raisers high society attended. They'd hit it off immediately but it wasn't attraction, much to her relief. They were just very compatible in their thinking which made doing business much easier. It didn't hurt, he was brilliant in his field and scrupulously honest. They'd been associated for more than four years now and she trusted him implicitly.

They reached her apartment without meeting anyone, the richly carpeted hall of burgundy muffled their footsteps so only silence greeted their ears. He graciously took the bags of food so she could fish her keys out of her purse and open the door.

"Just go on through and put it on the dining room table, Bryant. I need to clean up ... will only be a moment."

"I'd be happy to ... take your time," he said equitably. He walked past the hallway she turned down and went through the beautifully decorated living room and on through an archway that led to a simple but elegant dining room. He could see the kitchen as he placed the bags on the breakfast bar. It was state of the art and had a skylight that made it very bright. She obviously enjoyed plants because there were many dotted around the place giving it a very warm and inviting feeling.

He pulled his suit jacket off and hung it on one of the bar stools then opened the bags and set the food containers on the dining room table. She joined him only moments later, going past him into the kitchen to retrieve some silverware and plates. Returning, she handed them to him to set out at each place setting.

"Would you like a white wine, water, coffee, or milk?" She asked returning to the kitchen to get some glasses.

"Milk please, it'll cut the spice for me."

"Certainly." She poured him a large tumbler full then filled a glass flute with her favorite wine and returned to the table, handing him his glass while putting hers next to her plate.

They both sat then served up the hot food. They kept the conversation on inconsequential things, tacitly agreeing to leave the more serious discussion for afterward. Fifteen minutes later, they finished.

"That was excellent. Here let me help clear the table," he offered, standing and reaching for the plates.

"Thank you."

In minutes they were finished tidying up, placing the dishes in the dishwasher then heading with the refilled glasses for the living room.

Her briefcase was on the coffee table and his was behind the couch. They each retrieved their cases and sat down on the couch to set to work. Callie opened her case, pulled out a folder, and handed it off to Clount.

He accepted it with a nod and pulled out a large tablet and pen from his case then began to read the prospectus for the project. She sipped her wine and let him be.

His expression was amazed and excited when he finished. Tapping the folder he said, "This is utterly amazing and if it wasn't you bringing this to me, I would have said you were crazy but obviously you've done your homework and know this is possible. Sounds fantastic but I can see why Commander Feral would be leaping for joy for something like this. So who is the finder of this unique system?" He asked.

"Razor..."

Bryant's eyes widened in shock. "The SWAT Kat?"

She couldn't help but chuckle a little at his gobsmacked expression. "You heard right! The system and other tech was given to him by the alien visitors we had last year. The ones called The Loonatics."

"I thought that was a hoax of some kind. I mean who would call themselves that?" He shook his head in disbelief.

"I don't blame you, it does sound weird but then they were very weird people. However, they were very nice and extremely intelligent. But what was more wonderful was their willingness and generosity in giving us schematics of their incredibly advanced technology," she said, smiling broadly.

"But there's even more we got that we didn't even realize ... listen as I tell you of what's been going on these past few months and why you're needed."

Over the next thirty minutes, Callie gave her lawyer a thumbnail briefing of her meeting with Mr. Young, what the tom had told her about their system's other possible applications and his willingness to be one of its backers, then went on to explain what this would mean to the Enforcers and covered more about the project itself. However, she kept her plans to run for mayor to herself for a bit. She felt she'd given him enough to think about for the moment.

Clount listened, his expression incredulous, but he didn't interrupt. When she finally stopped talking, he could only shake his head in disbelief.

She reached for her wine and drank some while she waited for him to absorb this fantastic development.

Her lawyer turned his gaze to a lovely painting of a sea scene on the wall behind her as he tried to get a grip on what he'd heard. After a good five minutes of cogitation, he finally turned back to her and smiled broadly.

"If anyone else was telling me this I would have them committed but I know you and I have to say this is the most incredible thing I've ever heard. I want in. I can see the applications that Mr. Young mentioned and this is going to be huge if it tests out like everyone hopes."

Then his face fell into more serious lines as he leaned closer to her and asked, "The declaration of finder and getting the patent for Razor will be fairly straight forward and won't be questioned except for the fact that is not his real name but if he uses his new corporation name instead ... and I would highly recommend he do that ... then there won't be a problem. But what I need to know before we move forward with this is what you've done so far."

Callie smiled in relief. She had harbored a small doubt that he'd been willing to do something this involved but now that he was fully committed to help, the first hurdle had been passed now to dump the rest on him. Pulling out her notes, she went over all the things she'd begun to accomplish so far.

He listened closely and asked lots of questions while taking reams of notes himself.

"You've done a very good job in covering all aspects of what's needed, Callie. Thank you. That makes my job simpler. However, there is one very big snag..."

Callie nodded. Now we get to the shock factor. Hope he doesn't have a heart attack when I drop the bomb.

"Yes, I know, the fact the CEO and head of the project is a SWAT Kat. Even though we can get past that for the patent, I know it won't fly when the board of directors is set up and the project is begun and especially when the Enforcers and city hall become involved."

Clount nodded.

"That actually isn't the real problem," Callie stated bluntly ignoring the surprised look on Bryant's face as she pushed on. "His real name will be on all the documents but due to security reasons that fact will have to remain a secret until the project is actually ready to be built. Right now the building isn't even in the Enforcer's paws and won't be for at least another week then clean out will have to be done and that's estimated to take a month."

Bryant's mouth dropped open. "The SWAT Kats are coming out?"

"Yes ... eventually but not right now," she stressed. "For the moment, only a small group of trusted individuals are in the know and we need to keep it that way until I give the go ahead."

"Then I'm not to be included?"

"Oh no, you most definitely are going to be added to our small circle as well as possibly three or four others. We all know how important it is for you to be completely on board and in the know if you're to do what we need you to do. But I can't stress enough how important it is that what I tell you remain a secret until I say otherwise," she said, her expression grim.

Her lawyer eyed her, his own face matching hers but with a touch of trepidation. He felt like he was about to step off a cliff here. Knowing the identities of the SWAT Kats was like a loaded gun and it sent a chill up his spine to be trusted with something so important and deadly.

Clearing his throat, he said with some gravity, "I understand completely. But before you impart something so dire, are you totally certain your apartment is truly secure and not bugged?"

"Believe me, not even the best spy out there could break the security on my apartment because the smartest and brightest techee alive set up my security system and even monitors me 24/7," she told him.

Bryant blinked in surprise but still wasn't assured. "And this person is trustworthy?"

"Oh yes ... definitely because he's Razor ... and my lover.

"You're joking?" Her lawyer blurted then blushed in embarrassment at his reaction. "Of course, you're not. I'm speechless. That is why you know who he is, right?" She nodded.

"Then you also know who his partner is as well?" He asked warily.

"Yes and so do you."

Clount blinked in confusion. She said nothing, taking a sip of her wine and watching him. He thought hard. He had heard she was seeing someone ... wait the ball ... the scandal of who Commander Feral's mate was and that his partner and friend was squiring Callie ... crud!"

His head jerked up and he gaped at her. "OMG! Feral is mated to a SWAT Kat and you're dating one!"

"You got it in one," she said, mildly amused.

"How the hell does he manage to keep that to himself?"

"By not flaunting his mating publically. He and Chance keep a very low profile or hadn't you noticed?"

"Well, now that you've mentioned it, yeah, and so have you come to think of it. If you hadn't reminded me of that high society scandal I wouldn't have connected the two." He shook his head. "He must be walking on egg shells all the time as his Enforcers would crucify him if they found out."

"He is indeed but he's working hard to fix that problem. So, you see why I said it must be kept secret for now?"

"Oh yes, definitely," Byrant said, pulling at his necktie as if it was strangling him then hurriedly went back to the main subject of this discussion as the last few minutes were far too disturbing for him.

"Okay, I can do this. All I have to do is draw up all the paperwork needed without putting his name on any of it but when we get ready to file it into the public documents, I will have to do some fancy subterfuge to keep the county clerk from not paying too much attention to the names and make sure he files it immediately so it doesn't sit out for unwanted eyes to see and definitely no announcements...that's optional and we'll use that..." he said more to himself than her as he quickly took notes for himself.

"I appreciate that you've already gotten the technical and business side of it plotted out," he continued briskly, more comfortable now that he was on familiar ground. "I'll help you with the contractual documents, business setup, and getting the patent filed and secured. However, what needs to be done right before this system and company are announced is to show the new state of cooperation between the Enforcers and the SWAT Kats. Commander Feral will have to come up with a creative way to allow the pair to be acceptable under the eyes of the law. They are supposed to be on the wrong side...so to speak."

"Don't worry, that's what I meant when I said Commander Feral was already working on that. And I pray the two of them don't get themselves killed while they're doing it for him."

"They're already on a mission? But how will that help them be accepted by the Enforcers?"

"Because it's connected with something else you need to know ... I'm announcing my candidacy for mayor."

Clount gaped at her then shook his head. "Anything else you want to drop on me?" He asked rather wild eyed. This was getting to be quite the bomb-filled meeting.

She sighed, her expression going grim which made him tighten with apprehension. He wasn't sure he could take any more surprises.

In grim tones, Callie bluntly laid out the sordid details on what they suspected Mob Boss Frostburn had done and what, at the present, was being done to deal with it.

"Obviously, I'm under surveillance by both the enemy and the good guys trying to keep me safe."

Clount's expression became as grim as hers by the time she'd finished.

"Frostburn! I've heard rumors about him. What an opportunist bastard. While the omegas were ripping us apart, he was working hard to take this city down from inside."

"My sentiment exactly," Callie said sourly.

"Well, I'm glad you found out in time to do something about it and that you and Feral are on such good working terms now. That can only benefit the city in cleaning house. It's just unfortunate Frostburn managed to get so deeply entrenched that it will take some good hard evidence to dig him out."

"I know and I'm glad to say, Commander Feral is working on that right now. He wants the criminal out before he can do anymore harm or prevent a legitimate election from taking place."

"Good to know." Clount nodded. "You say security around you has been tightened, by who? I didn't see anyone physically guarding you."

She smiled coldly. "Oh, they're there never fear. I can't see them either but Feral has his most elite team of black ops dogging my steps, plus, of course, the security Razor has set up around me here at home, at work, and even in my car. Add to that, I've recently completed a grueling self defense training program and have been declared capable of taking care of my own safety and I am always armed. So, as you can see, I've done everything I can to protect myself so when I announce my candidacy for mayor, I'll be ready for most anything."

His eyebrows rose to his hairline as she mentioned defense training, being armed, and having her very own black ops team shadowing her.

"Well, I'll admit you're more covered than the United Nation's President. That makes me feel better. So, have you managed to find a campaign manager and maybe an assistant to take the load off you?"

"Not yet but I have someone looking into it for me. I'm hoping he's successful and I'll have someone by this Wednesday."

Clount nodded, looking relieved. "Good! But, if you don't mind, I'll keep my eyes open too, just in case your contact doesn't pan out. As for the rest, you've certainly given me a lot of dangerous stuff to deal with here, Callie."

"I know but I can't think of anyone who can handle adversity like you," she said with a wane smile.

Clount simply rolled his eyes and snorted. "Seems this city just can't catch a break," he mused.

"Those were Chance's exact words when we found out. So Feral is already working to locate all the bodies so they can be yanked out but it will take time and great care so as not to tip them off before he moves in."

"Ahh...so his secret weapons have gone undercover to do this..." Bryant leaped to the right conclusion as to what the former SWAT Kats were doing now to redeem their reputations. "I'm assuming they are now Enforcers once more?"

"Correct."

"So anything else I need to know?" He asked, afraid of the answer.

"No, that's it."

"It's certainly enough. I don't know how you're handling all of this but I can tell you're going to make one kick-ass mayor," he said, smiling wanly.

"Thank you. But first I have to get in the seat."

"Well, I'd be glad to add my contribution to your campaign. Do you have a manager yet?"

"No but Mr. Young is looking into that for me as well as an assistant."

"Excellent. I imagine he has better resources for that too. Is he helping in other ways besides funding the project?"

"Oh yes, he was the first to ask to contribute to my campaign and my lover is going to ask Professor Hackle too but I already know he'll jump on board as he's in my court already. Then there's my lover who'll also be contributing."

"Huh? How's he going to do that when the project is still only on paper?"

"He's an inventor in his own right as Razor. He's been selling his inventions on line for several months now. If he had a portfolio, he'd be in the top 100 Fortune CEO's right now," she said, smirking.

He blinked and shook his head. "Wow, that's amazing and right under everyone's noses too. Well, you've gotten a great start there, Callie."

He began to tuck his notes and the file copies she'd given him into his briefcase. "You've certainly given me plenty to do, Callie, and I think to do this properly, I'm going to have to close some cases quickly and stop taking any new clients. This calls for my complete attention."

"Oh my! That's a lot of confidence you're placing in me to win, Byrant," Callie said, surprised and pleased at how far he was willing to go.

"Having you mayor will be a great boon to this city, Callie. Then there's how rich I can become being apart of this new project and don't forget how much it will help my reputation. I'd be a fool to pass this up no matter how dangerous it might get. But truthfully, in the end it's the excitement. This will be the most scary fun I've had in ages," He laughed, amazed at himself for doing this.

Callie smiled at him and shook her head. "I hope you don't come to regret that decision but welcome aboard the Callie Express. Fasten your seatbelt! It's going to be a bumpy and dangerous ride."

Bryant raised his glass of wine toward her, she smiled and did the same. They clinked their glasses together.

"To the next mayor of Megakat City!" He said stoutly, downing his drink in one go.

"Thank you, Bryant, cheers!" She did the same. A very successful lunch if I do say myself, she thought, smugly.