RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


On her next day to work, Callie immediately looked up the number of an old friend of hers. She'd actually used this person's services once due to the overwhelming stress of her job. It had helped her adopt a new perspective on managing Mayor Manx, and the constant threats to her life. She used her new confidence and calm to handle most of the stresses of her life and she hoped her friend would be able to do the same for the four of them.

"Laren Jarstone's office," A soft, cheerful voice said.

"Yes, hello Jeanna...Callie Briggs here. Can I get a moment of Laren's time. I need to ask her something important," Callie said easily.

"Oh, Hello Ms. Briggs. Can you hold a moment while I check to see if she's free?" Jeanna asked politely, knowing the Deputy Mayor was a very busy person.

"For once, I do have time, thanks Jeanna," Callie said.

"Good. Be right back," Jeanna said then put the Deputy Mayor on hold.

Callie stared out her window as she waited. Laren wasn't one of those who subscribed to having music play while clients were on hold. She'd told Callie, when she'd asked out of curiosity, music could have adverse effects on some of her clients so she felt silence was a much safer option. It was only three minutes before another voice came on the line.

"Hello, Callie. What can I do for you?" Laren asked in her soothing voice.

"Hi, Laren. I've got an unusual request to make. I have some people I know that require a therapist who can be extremely discreet. It isn't just because they are very well known that secrecy must be maintained, its because their very lives will be endangered if anyone were to learn about what you'll be privy to. I won't sugar coat this, you too could be in significant danger," Callie said seriously.

There was a moments stunned silence before Jarstone responded in a careful tone. "Wow, this sounds like a mystery novel with all the action and intrigue. So who are these special people you want me to help?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't divulge that over the phone. Would it be possible for you to meet me somewhere safe and discreet...say my apartment around seven tonight?" Callie asked.

"Your home? We really have gone into the cloak and dagger bit, huh? Okay, you have me sufficiently intrigue. I, luckily enough, have nothing going on tonight so I'll be there," Laren said.

"Good, then I'll see you later and thanks, Laren," Callie said in relief as they traded goodbyes and hung up.

Jarstone stared at her phone for a long minute. 'I wonder who the heck is that important and in that much danger?' She thought to herself then sighed. 'Guess I'll have to wait until tonight to find out.'

She reached for her intercom and requested, "Jeanna, would you send in my next patient, please." She was glad to have a full patient load today or the mystery of the patient or patients would drive her buggy.

Now that she'd been able to make an appointment with her friend, Callie dug into her constant desk full of projects and reports.

The day went by swiftly and it wasn't until she'd put the finishing touches on a speech for the Mayor that she even noticed the time. The clock on the wall showed it was swiftly moving toward six p.m.

"Shoot! I've got to hurry if I'm to get home, eat then be ready for Laren," She hissed in annoyance as she quickly grabbed her purse from her desk drawer, locked her desk, got up and put the speech in her secretary's typing basket with an urgent 'do first thing' post-it on it, then turned her lights off, closed her door and hurried down the hall for the elevators.

Callie made it home by fifteen after six. She rushed into her bedroom and turned on the shower. After a quick wash, she put on a comfortable pantsuit then went to the kitchen to fix herself something to eat and make some coffee then set the tea kettle on for her guest, adding a tray with some tasty biscuits and cookies on a fancy serving dish to go with it.

By the time she'd finished her meal and her preparations, there came a knock on her door. 'Made it in time!' She smiled to herself in relief as she carried the tray into the living room and set it on the table before heading to answer the door.

Pulling it open she smiled at the petite she-kat that stood there. Laren Jarstone had a short fall of wavy ash blonde hair, her fur coloring was hues of grey, white and soft orange and had eyes a yellow-green color. Tonight she was wearing a gray pantsuit similar to Callie's with white loafers on her feet.

"Hello Laren, do come in," Callie greeted her guest.

"Good evening, Callie," Laren said, smiling warmly as she did as asked, walking into the nicely appointed apartment.

Callie lead the way to the living room. "Please have a seat. Would you like tea or a cup of coffee?" She asked, always the perfect host.

"Oh, coffee please, cream and sugar," Jaren said as she took a seat.

"Coming right up," Callie responded then disappeared into the kitchen. Minutes later she returned with another tray holding two cups of coffee and fixin's.

"Here you go," she said handing her visitor a filled cup.

"Thank you," Laren said, politely taking the cup from Callie.

Callie sat and picked up the other full cup and sipped it.

"So what is so mysterious about your friends that you couldn't tell me over the phone who they were." Laren said casually, feeling they should get right to the point.

Callie frowned a moment, gathering her thoughts. "It's myself, my boyfriend, Commander Feral and his mate."

Laren raised both her eyebrows in surprise and consternation. "Commander Feral and you? Wow! You're going to have to explain why," she said in confusion.

"How much do you know about Commander Feral's mate?" Callie countered.

"Uh, well only what I heard on the news, that the male was once an enforcer that the Commander kicked out but is now mated to. It caused quite the stir." Laren said, thoughtfully.

"Yes, that's correct. The male's name is Chance Furlong and I'm seeing his partner, Jake Clawson. But they have a secret that could cause a shockwave throughout the population if it were known and enemies that would love to know it as well. So I need to know if you're willing to take us on and help us deal with some serious stress issues," Callie explained without giving away too much more.

Laren frowned. Now how was she supposed to decide when there was obviously something far more about this than Callie was telling her? Needing more information she didn't answer the she-kat's question yet.

"I'm sorry, its very hard for me to make a decision when I don't know what kind of danger you're talking about that would affect me?"

"Because of the secret Chance and Jake possess and the fact you would have to know it to be able to help them, puts you in the direct line of fire from their enemies." Callie said more plainly.

Laren blinked in shocked surprise. 'What were these guys...criminals? No... that's not right...Callie would never be involved with that kind of person. Were they spies or undercover officers? No, wait...if she remembered correctly both had been former enforcers but now worked at a salvage yard. Okay, this was just getting bizarre. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and take this job otherwise I'm going to go crazy wondering who these guys really are? As for the danger...well my life's been too tame lately...sooo...' she thought to herself then looked at Callie again coming to a decision.

Callie didn't disturb her friend while she stared off into the distance. What she was asking of her was even more dangerous than her friend could possibly guess at.

When Laren turned her attention back to her patiently waiting friend, Callie felt a sense of relief. She could see acceptance in the she kats eyes but waited for her to speak before she jumped to any wrong conclusions.

"I have a confession to make...my life has been pretty tame despite the celebrity patients I'm fortunate to deal with. So I'm going to stick my neck out and say yes. Besides, I'd go nuts trying to guess what all the hush-hush is all about anyway. Also, I know you wouldn't ask me something like this if it wasn't truly important and needful, so my answer is yes, I'll help you and your friends," she said readily enough.

Callie had to smile at her friend's confession but her smile faded as she prepared to tell Laren what she'd gotten herself into...but first there was a serious formality to be dealt with. Eyeing her friend gravely, she said, "Thank you, you don't know how grateful I am about your decision. However, there is one more thing I must ask of you before I tell you anything more. Would you be willing to sign a non-disclosure form?"

Laren stared at the blond she-kat seriously. 'Okay, now I'm really in deep.' She thought before taking a breath and saying, "Certainly. I'll sign whatever you require. I'm assuming my own rules of non-disclosure and confidentiality aren't sufficient in this case?"

"You're right. As for your own rules, hold even more firmly to those in this instance. The document is just more insurance for us all," Callie said, smiling to take the sting out of requiring such drastic measures. Laren nodded her understanding.

"Okay, enough suspense...the reason for all the precautions is you're not just treating Chance and Jake but their personas as T-Bone and Razor." Callie said, dropping the bomb.

Laren gasped and sat up in complete shock. All she could do was gape at Callie wondering frantically if all this was some kind of elaborate joke but the she kat's grim expression said otherwise.

"Okay, I can safely say, I never saw that coming," she finally managed to say, shaking her head in amazement.

Callie just nodded her head sympathetically.

"So, let me get just clarify what I've just been told, Commander Feral is mated to a SWAT Kat and you're in a relationship with the other SWAT Kat, correct?" Laren asked.

"You got it. The problem we're having is our understandable concern for each others safety. As much as Feral and I want to stay out of trouble so our lovers don't fear for us, it just isn't going to happen since our very jobs place us in danger nearly all the time. Our two knights in shining armor are under enough stress keeping our city safe without the added frustration of wanting to keep us safe which is impossible. This can only lead to them getting killed from being so distracted. Can you help us learn how to accept what we can't change and to just enjoy our lives, however long they might be?" Callie asked urgently.

Laren nodded in understanding as she listened patiently to Callie's explanation. Now she better understood why she was needed and was relieved it was something she'd extensive experience with treating.

"Yes, I believe I can. I've dealt with similar problems like this from police officers, firekats, and others in such high risk fields plus their loved ones," she assured the Deputy Mayor. "Your problem is very common even with the unusual twist of secret identities involved."

Callie sighed in relief. "Thank you. So now all we have to do is plan a way to see you that doesn't give away our secrets. Of course, we decided the guys would stay in their civilian guises when we're with you to reduce the risk factors but the visits will have to happen away from your office and in some secure place. I know this is an imposition but it's for all our safety."

"I agree. I think I might know of just the right place that wouldn't seem to implausible for all of you to be seen at without causing any undue attention... Megakat Trauma Center! Each of you has, at one time or another, needed to be there in a private or official capacity. No one would really question your presence, especially if you arrive at different times. I'm assuming I'll be seeing you as separate couples?" Laren asked.

"We thought we'd leave that for you to decide," Callie answered. "I think you're right about the trauma center. All of us have been there for different reasons and it has its own security force. An excellent idea."

"Good. I'll set up a space I can use that's in a little used area of the hospital so our coming and going wouldn't be noticed. I will warn the security force to turn away from that area during the times of your appointments to further insure your anonymity," Laren said, planning as she spoke.

"Uh, just a minute Laren. I think it would be wiser if I speak with the hospital administrator and have him order the security office. It will have more power behind the request and prevent anyone on the security force from making a casual mistake. I will ensure the penalties for invading our privacy are so stiff, no one would dare break it," Callie interrupted.

"Hmm, perhaps you're right. Okay, I'll let you handle it. Just let me find out if the space is available for our use first then I'll call you with the information and a time for your first appointment. Which of you do you think I should see first?" Laren asked.

Callie blushed a moment before she spoke, mildly embarrassed. "Jake and I. He's more sensitive to things than Chance and is more stressed out about this problem."

"Okay, then I'll get back with you as soon as I have my information. By the way, is there any period that's difficult for you?" Laren asked.

For the next few minutes both females checked their schedules and came up with some tentative time periods.

"Okay, now that's settled. I'll take my leave of you. There might come a point where I'll have all four of you attend but for now it will be just couples. We'll see how things go after we get started," Laren told her warmly as she stood up to prepare to leave.

"That's perfect. I'll await your call and thank so much for taking us on," Callie said, smiling wanly as she too rose to her feet and escorted her guest to the door.

"You're welcome, Callie. Speak with you soon," Laren said smiling back then said farewell and went out the door.

Callie sighed as she closed and locked her door. She went about cleaning up and planning what she would tell Jake tomorrow. She was happy they were finally going to get help. Only time would tell if it would ease their stress or not.