RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Feral found a parking spot some distance from the entrance of the Megakat Natural History Museum where the ball was being held. He didn't want to be watched like a hawk as they drove up nor have his vehicle vandalized once it was learned which car was his. It also helped to settle their nerves a little by walking the small distance toward the entrance.

A large throng was gathered at the doors. Security was tight so only a few at a time could enter. Lively chatter filled the air as the attendees patiently waited their turn to be security checked then allowed entrance. All the glitz was on display with brilliant and costly gowns and necks draped in expensive jewelry on the fems and elegant tuxes on the males with a sprinkling of dress uniforms, like Feral, scattered about.

They held back at the edge of the crowd, not willing to push closer and have the snide comments begin any sooner than necessary. It took nearly forty minutes for the crowd to finally thin out and allow them to get closer to the doors.

When Feral finally reached the entrance, he spoke with the officer overseeing security. "Any problems?"

"No sir, everything is running smoothly. First pass through was made thirty minutes ago...no problems." The officer said briskly, eyes slipping over to the male standing quietly at Feral's side then quickly returning to the front.

"Excellent. Stay sharp and keep up the good work." Feral rumbled, pleased things were okay so far. With so many wealthy in one place, the temptation for some omega to show up was just too good to miss. He hoped they would have no problems tonight to add to his personal ones.

He and Chance strode past the guards and walked through the large foyer until they came to the huge room the museum was lending them for the ball. It was decorated in warm hues of green and brown, plants were everywhere as were examples of the local kittens art work on the walls in simple but beautiful frames.

A huge banquet table was laid out at the back wall of the room. At one end of the tables was a large ice sculpture carved with the images of two kittens with their parents holding paws. To the left of the entryway were many circles of comfortable leather couches with coffee tables lending a more family flavor to the atmosphere. A large orchestra was to the right of the banquet tables and recessed in the corner. The center of the room was to be used as the dance floor.

"Wow! What a spread." Chance said softly to his mate.

"Yes, they certainly went all out for this." Feral murmured as the two of them moved through the throng and made for the buffet table. They had skipped dinner and he was famished.

As they walked across the huge expanse of floor, they could feel dozens of eyes on them. Feral caught many an admiring look cast on his mate. Chance cut a handsome figure as his powerful form strode easily beside him. Not just fems alone were staring at the tom either he noted with amusement.

Only a small group of attendees were at the table when they reached it and grabbed a plate. Chance stayed close behind Ulysses as he filled his plate. He planned on not opening his mouth too much for fear he would put his foot in it and make things worse. He was tense but was glad it hadn't affected his appetite. He noted however, Ulysses was only putting a few things on his plate. Obviously, his appetite was affected by his level of stress.

Once they had filled their plates, ignoring the looks they were already starting to receive, and got their drinks, they looked for a less crowded place to sit. A couch setting located nearer to the entryway was mostly empty so they made their way through the crowd toward it.

Chance waited until Ulysses was settled before he sat down nearly against his mate, putting his glass on the table. Looking around, he nodded casually at the other two couples sitting across from them. He was given cool nods in response. He didn't let it bother him since he was prepared for the cool reception in the first place.

As he dug into his food, he prayed he'd be able to finish eating before someone started in on them. Glancing to his side, he noted Ulysses was just picking at his food and looking around at the crowd. His mate was on alert for danger, he realized and not the kind they were expecting.

Sighing mentally, he poked his mate in the side, drawing Uly's attention to him. "Look you picked the best of your enforcers for this job. Let them do it. You're here to hobnob and be harassed by the elite, remember?" He murmured in a low voice, injecting some humor to lighten the atmosphere then shoved an hors d'oeuvre in his mate's mouth when Uly tried to respond.

Feral blinked as he had to quickly chew the food that had appeared in his mouth so suddenly. He huffed a little at his mate for the underhanded trick but understood what Chance was trying to tell him, however, no amount of cajoling from his mate could make him relax completely.

One of the couples across from them raised eyebrows at Chance's action which was far too intimate for this setting. Before either of them could point out the tabby's social gaffe, they were prevented by the arrival of the Deputy Mayor and her date.

Vicious gossip was already circulating the room about this second disgraced ex-enforcer attending and, of all things, escorting the Deputy Mayor, no less. 'What was this world coming too?' was the constant refrain heard.

Callie stoutly ignored the shocked and affronted looks she and Jake garnered as she circulated the room, meeting and greeting various wealthy patrons and CEOs, doing her part thumping for the funds they needed.

Feeling a break was required after more than an hour of talking, pleading, cajoling, and fending off nasty comments, Callie gently tugged her date off to the buffet table. Jake was doing far better than she'd hoped in maintaining a bland exterior despite some of the vicious things being said about him. Though, she did see his jaw tighten once or twice. As a reward for his being so gentlemanly, she would spend the next hour focused exclusively on him. She was pleased to see the many admiring looks cast on her date among the hateful ones. Jake cut a handsome silhouette as he escorted her to the buffet table.

Jake found it hard to maintain his facade of indifference to the comments around him when he really wanted to plant a fist in a few of those spiteful faces. He was glad when Callie suggested they get something to eat and sit a bit.

Some of the attention he and Callie were getting had shifted when Feral and Chance entered the room. He felt pain for his buddy. If he thought the comments had been nasty toward him, it didn't compare to what he was now hearing against his best friend. It made him sick to know people could be that vindictive against someone they didn't know at all.

As he filled his plate, out of the corner of his eye, he watched as Feral and Chance began to move through the crowd toward them. Their way was impeded by various groups making a point to snub them and show their disapproval by not moving out of the way.

'Damn this is going to be a long night,' Jake growled mentally as he and Callie grabbed glasses of wine and began to look for a place to sit. Unfortunately, sanctuary would have to wait a little longer as the Mayor buttonholed Callie, pulling her aside away from the crowd.

He urged her toward a quiet corner. Smiling urbanely, he gave the impression things were fine, but his words to his deputy belied that false facade.

"Callie, the hostility is so thick in here you could cut it with a knife. I thought some of this was supposed to have eased before tonight?" He complained, plaintively.

"I know, Mayor. Unfortunately, there are just too many petty minded people in the upper crust. We can only hope the more liberal minded will force their less than sanguine friends to be more civil. Other than that, there's nothing else we can do but keep smiling and pretend we don't hear them," Callie murmured, more than a little miffed herself.

"If you say so, Callie, although this attitude is not very conducive toward making any money and that is the main reason for all this," Manx muttered unhappily before using another false smile and a pat on Callie's shoulder for show to those watching them, then drifting casually away to head for a large group of investors nearby.

Annoyed, Callie clung to her own fake smile as she moved off toward the couches once more, Jake keeping close to her side. He felt a little odd when he noted he was receiving some rather blatant lustful looks from many of the fems as well as a handful of toms as he and Callie crossed the room.

'Weird! Hate me and lust me at the same time. These people are strange,' Jake muttered to himself.

Determined to ignore the odd looks and keeping his attention fixed on his date, Jake's face held a neutral expression as they reached the couch where his partner and Feral were sitting. Sighing mentally, Jake was glad to be away from the nasty crowd, allowing himself to relax a little as he and Callie reached the couches, taking the one beside his friend's. Sitting down close to Callie and nearest to Chance, he began to eat some of the interesting food they were serving here.

"Hi guys, how's the food?" Callie asked brightly, determined to be upbeat.

"Delicious and the place looks fantastic too, Callie. Great job!" Chance said honestly.

"Thanks, Chance. It was a lot of work but I'm pleased at how it all turned out and everyone looks like they are enjoying themselves." She was relieved for that at least as she began to eat her food. She was starving and the food was great.

"Well, some of them are," Feral added in an undertone, his eyes catching yet another hostile glare being hurled in their direction.

Callie, sighed softly in sympathy, giving him a him a sad and understanding look. "No more than we expected," she murmured, picking up a canape and nibbling it.

Feral gave a small growl at that comment and was about to put his plate down when his mate intervened.

"You're really not eating enough, Uly," Chance scolded the dark tom, shoving some of his food from his plate to Uly's, ignoring his mate's protests then pushing another canape into the tom's mouth.

Managing to finish the last bits of food he'd been force fed, Feral protested, "Humph, Chance, enough, I'm full...really."

His mate gave him a doubtful look. "You hadn't had dinner and now you're just picking at your food. I don't want to listen to your empty and angry stomach growl at me later tonight."

Feral could only sigh and appeased Chance by eating a little more before setting his plate down and picking up his wine glass.

Satisfied, Chance went back to looking around and eating his own food. Callie could only shake her head a bit in amazement at the sight of Feral's capitulation to the tabby's light bullying.

'He really does love the tom madly to put up with being coddled,' she mused thoughtfully. The moment was spoiled by a sudden unexpected verbal assault from close by.

Two older couples had sat down on a couch across from them and the male of one of the pairs frowned unhappily at Feral and gave Chance a nasty look.

"Commander Feral! How could you think so little of your position to do something so scandalous as to take up with this 'tom' you yourself booted from the ranks of your officers? You obviously had a good reason for dismissing him so I'm at a loss to understand how you could take him as a mate!" The male barked haughtily, his voice oozing outrage.

Feral's eyes flashed with anger while his mate almost lunged across to assault the male for his nasty comment, but before the dark tom could formulate a suitably scorching response, Jake suddenly spoke up.

"One doesn't chose one's soul mate. It's chosen by fate," he intoned solemnly. "It doesn't differentiate between good or bad persons, it just is. Commander Feral has been an exceptional military leader for this city and has done his duty without complaint. Now fate has rewarded him with a mate to relieve him of his loneliness he has endured for a very long time. He has a right to proudly proclaim this is his bonded which is what this affair is supposed to represent," he dared to scold the older male.

The male scowled at Jake sourly. "That's just a lot of hokum dreamed up by all those feel good gurus. There is no such thing as 'soul bonded'. What rot!"

"It is a scientific fact, sir, and you insult the lucky ones who have had fate smile on them and grant them such a bonding. It's in poor taste to denigrate someone's beliefs," Jake retorted frostily.

The male's eyes widened at being told his behavior was less than acceptable by someone of lower station than he. Before he could put the young upstart in his place another voice interrupted. A member of the city council was staring down at the male with angry, cold eyes.

"I too am so fortunate to be soul bonded. I find it offensive to hear you treat it like something dirty. I must insist on a apology both for myself and for Commander Feral and his mate!" He demanded sharply. There was a hint of a threat that retribution would be swift if he didn't get what he asked.

The male who had been so disrespectful, colored red with embarrassment and not a little fear as he hastily offered an apology then he and his wife beat an immediate retreat.

"Cretin!" The council member hissed after their departing forms then looked back at Feral and gave him and Chance a warm smile, saluted them with his wine glass before drifting off again.

"Well that was certainly nice of Councilor Primstone to do that," Chance said in surprise. "And thanks Jake. Appreciate the support and knowing the right thing to say. I was about ready to pop that guy in the face."

"So I'd guessed," Jake smirked. "And I was only too happy to intervene. That guy was really disrespectful to the both of you." He was pleased by the compliment and the look of approval in Callie's eyes.

"I'm very grateful as well for your quick response, it was far better than what I was struggling to come up with that wouldn't get me into trouble. Thank you for your defense of my character but I admit I certainly hadn't expected you of all people to defend me like that," Feral added, truly taken aback by Jake's action.

"You didn't deserve such an attack, Commander. It was nasty and extremely insulting." Jake said strongly. Feral nodded his understanding and gave him a warm smile.

Jake had only done what he'd felt was right but was warmed by that look of appreciation and warmth in Feral's eyes for him. He was surprised how much that meant to him after all the years of antagonism the two had shared. His ears pricked up suddenly as he heard the orchestra strike up a dance tune and couples began to take the floor.

"Would you like to dance, Callie?" He turned to her and asked.

"Oh, that would be wonderful."

They put their plates aside and Jake helped Callie to her feet then guided her out to the floor.

"Interested in doing the same, love?" Chance asked, finishing with his food and setting his own plate down.

"Uh, not really..." Feral responded, not big on dancing though he did know how.

"Ohh but I want an excuse to get closer to you," Chance purred seductively in his mate's ear.

Feral blushed at that under current of lust in the tabby's tone. Really, he just couldn't resist doing whatever his handsome mate desired so with only a little reluctance he rose to his feet. It warmed him inside when Chance's face lit up with delight as his mate eagerly escorted him out onto the dance floor.

The dark tom sighed happily as he and Chance held each other close and danced to the strains of a love song. For the first time that evening, he was able to ignore everyone else and just enjoy being with his mate.

Chance smiled as he felt his mate relax in his arms. He stroked a paw daringly down the dark tom's back in a gentle caress but nothing more blatant as he didn't want to incur even more hostility from the stuffier upper crust.

Not far away, Jake and Callie moved around the dance floor with easy grace. Jake was soaring inside at the chance to dance with the lovely she-kat. He was forever grateful his mother had insisted he learn how to dance. That motherly insistence translated into the most wonderful night of his life. Callie felt incredible in his arms, all soft curves and smelling heavenly.

Callie sighed with pleasure, Jake's arms were strong and he moved with easy assurance. He was a very good dancer and she was glad she had decided to take him as her date. Tonight he had shown wonderful tact and more poise than the elite that had been trained proper social behavior from birth.

The two couples managed to dance a couple of enjoyable sets before disaster blew in. Screams filled the air when confronted by the sound of a machine gun firing. No one could flee because the doors were blocked by tough and mean looking mercenary types holding assault weapons. Blocking the main entrance were Mac and Molly Mange dressed in dark suits with fedoras on their metal heads.

"Listen up!" Mac bellowed in his electronic voice. "Everyone sit on the floor or you'll be in the same shape the enforcers are in now and that is mostly dead."

There was a scramble as every guest sat down. Feral, Chance, Jake and Callie were the last to sit, as they didn't like the feeling of being helpless. Inside Feral felt pain and fury at the loss of more of his officers.

"Now, be good rich kitties and hand over your jewels and money," Mac ordered.

A small group of mercenaries, standing behind the Metallikats, came forward and began to circulate among the attendees with bags in their paws.

Feral was about to lunge to his feet and try to distract the two metal heads from their victims but his mate had grabbed his collar and made him stay put. He turned his head to glare questioningly at Chance.

The tabby's face was grim and his eyes flicked to his partner in silent answer to his mate's question. Feral glanced over then down as he saw Jake in the process of pulling something stealthily from the back of his pants. When it finally appeared, he realized it was one of their glovatrix.

Jake kept it hidden from view as he checked to see where the Metallikats were and how close their minions were from their small group. Chance was removing a similar glovatrix from his pants too. They had been lucky enough to have been near the orchestra when the attack began so it would take the crooks a little more time to reach them.

The Metallikats hadn't seen Feral yet so Chance muttered to his mate to keep his head down to buy them more time. If they saw Feral, the two metal heads would drag him out or kill him whichever mood struck them. They only had a few minutes more to hatch a plan of a attack.

"We have gas grenades on us," Jake muttered very softly, barely moving his lips as he worked at his glovatrix and removed something from it.

Feral could feel his mate moving his paws behind him and had to assume Chance was doing the same thing as Jake.

"That won't take out Mac and Molly," Feral murmured, worriedly.

"No, but it will take out the mercenaries and cause the guests to pass out too. It's quick acting. Here..." Jake pushed something into Feral's paws. "You throw to the left, I'll throw straight ahead and Chance to the right. I have something new that I hope will take out our two headaches. Leave it to me. After you've thrown your capsules, hold your breaths for a count of twenty and pretend to collapse along with the guests. I'll take those two out when they get closer to us," Jake hissed softly. "Now wait for my command then throw!"

All three tensed. The mercenaries weren't close to them yet but it wouldn't be long. The Metallikats were standing in the center of the dance floor watching everyone with their internal scanners. They needed to act soon before their sensors detected the glovatrixes.

"Now!" Jake hissed.

Hurling from their seated positions they lobbed the capsules as far as they could. The mercenaries whirled toward the thrown objects but the capsules vanished among the guests and, once striking the floors, spread the invisible gas rapidly. Being extremely potent, everyone, including the mercenaries, collapsed instantly, leaving only the Metallikats standing.

Infuriated and confused, they focused on the location of the attack but could find no one. Suspicious, the two walked slowing forward searching everyone closely.

"What the heck happened?" Mac demanded angrily.

"How should I know!" Molly snarled as she leaned down and shook one of their mercenaries. "They're out cold. Had to be some kind of gas to take them all out at once," she muttered angrily.

"But by who?" Mac asked rhetorically as he kept trying to find the culprits.

Feral had tucked his head in his arms to hide his identity, letting the rest of his body slump over to his side. His mate was laying over his waist to hide him further. He badly wanted to see what the two were up to but knew he didn't dare move a muscle. It was fortunate the two weren't aware the SWAT Kats were here in their other identities. He prayed Jake's new weapon worked or they were screwed. Not much could take down these two easily.

Jake kept his eyes on the pair. His body lay protectively over Callie but was positioned in such a way that he could shoot in seconds. He watched them from under his arm. His body tensed as Mac and Molly finally came close enough to their position. Firing from his prone position he hit both with strange missiles that stuck to their metallic form and sent a pulse of energy through their bodies. It made their bodies jerk violently, causing them to scream. It took nearly two minutes for the missiles to do their work before the two robots dropped into a heap of lifeless metal on the floor.

They waited for a count of ten before scrambling to their feet and making for the bodies. Feral kicked at Mac's head but got no response while Chance nudged Molly's side with a toe...nothing happened.

"Wow! That was fantastic buddy," Chance said admiringly.

"What did you do?" Feral asked curiously.

"Since electronic scrambler missiles had no effect on them, I modified them to send a pulse of high energy that would disrupt computer disks which is what the Professor stored their memories on. So, instead of trying to defeat their obviously more powerful bodies, I just went for their 'brains'. It should have pretty much destroyed their memory disks...no restoring them again...I hope...that is if Hackle hasn't made duplicates of the disks...which I doubt," Jake explained a bit proudly.

"Hmm, not sure it was right to end their lives... but if that's actually happened, I won't complain as they have been a thorn in the city's side for far too long. Guess we won't know for sure until Hackle looks them over." Feral grimaced at that thought. "Let's hope we've seen the last of them."

Jake shrugged. "So do I, but like I said, only Hackle would know for sure. Anyway, their definitely down for the count for now."

Feral nodded then looked around the room at the many silent bodies. "How long does the gas last, Jake?"

Jake looked around as well. "Only about another ten minutes so you better call for backup and wrap these mercenaries up before they are able to get away or cause further trouble."

"Let's just gather bozos up and place them in one area so we have better control over them until help arrives," Chance suggested, reaching down to grab the ankles of two of the crooks and drag them off to a small alcove to the right of the orchestra. Jake followed Chance's example, moving carefully around the innocent party goers to reach the criminals then dragging them off. Meanwhile, Feral pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and called for help before going to aid the other two in hauling bodies.

By the time his enforcers arrived, Feral, Jake and Chance had all the crooks in one area and were holding them with their own guns, while behind them the party goers were just waking up...confused and angry.

It took a couple of hours before things were cleaned up, guests were given their valuables back, anyone needing medical care had been taken away or treated on site, while the rest sat and tried to recover.

For the ones that had stayed, which were quite a few, surprisingly, Feral briefed them on what had happened. For the first time in his life, he covered for the SWAT Kats by saying they had appeared and saved them before taking off again. Feral finished by saying Chance and Jake along with himself had held their breaths and aided the SWAT Kats in taking down the Metallikats then collecting the mercenaries before they could do anymore harm.

Since they were unconscious during the whole affair, no one could call them liars so they had to accept that the ones they'd been bad mouthing all night had saved their lives.

Though having the Metallikats crash the party had been a disaster, the aftermath actually ended up benefiting the fund raising efforts. By the time the party broke up, a little earlier than planned, the guests were so grateful, they donated enough to help the Mayor exceed their goal for raising enough money for the charities and the treasury. All in all a very good night indeed.

Riding the limo back to the salvage yard, Jake and Callie were indulging in a little kissing action. Callie knew Jake had done his part during the incident though not certain how much and wanted to show her gratitude.

'This is the best part of the evening,' Jake sighed mentally as he returned her passionate kisses.

Feral was happy and relaxed as he drove them home, Chance yawning beside him. He smiled tenderly, another enemy routed and he was beginning to think fate meant for them to finally win the battle against the city's worst enemies and all because he allowed himself to be bonded. On top of that, the incident went a long ways toward them becoming accepted by the social strata of the city. The future now looked much brighter for him and Chance.