RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Two months had passed and he was floating on air. Even the prospect of discussing the problems he faced with this ball the Mayor was putting on couldn't crush his good mood. Since it was gloriously sunny out today, he decided to walk to city hall. He needed to see if he could try again to get out of this thing that was planned.

Rather than dwell on the coming confrontation, Feral let his mind drift to a much pleasanter topic, like last nights activities when the two of them were home alone. He and Chance had made love for several of hours starting with a fantastic session in the shower.

His mate was very talented in this arena, beating his partner out in the invention category, at least in the area of making love including driving his lover insane with all his little tricks. He felt himself getting a little hot just remembering last night.

He could royally kick his tail now for depriving himself of this feeling of contentedness. There was just nothing that compared to having someone holding you and making you feel better after a bad day. The bond made everything even more intense. It was a feeling of someone residing warmly inside your mind and knowing it was the other half of your soul looking back keeping you company. Never alone! Yeah that's exactly what it felt like.

At first, they had to settle for getting together at night in his apartment but, not being satisfied with that after a month together, they went house hunting. It didn't take too long to find a place hidden and safe that they both fell in love with. Buying furniture and other household items felt strange yet fun at the same time. Feral had decided not to keep anything but a few favorite pieces from his former home while Chance didn't own much in the way of furniture in the first place so it was an adventure merging their different styles into a harmonious home they both enjoyed and loved.

Jake felt a little odd being alone when he'd been living with his friend for so long but he was slowly getting used to it, commenting shortly after his friend had moved out that, "...well now I guess I can begin to think about finding myself someone special too." Chance had answered, "...that's the way to think, buddy. You deserve some happiness too."

Feral's new home with his mate completed him like nothing in his life ever had and he couldn't hide how giddy that made him feel.

Smiling to himself, he reached city hall, walked up the steps and pushed the door open to step into the lobby. As he crossed the foyer to the elevator bank, a voice called out to him.

"Commander Feral, wait up!"

He paused and looked over his shoulder. Ms. Briggs was coming from one of the hallways, stacks of paper and reports in her arms, a look of distraction and frazzled irritation on her face. It was obvious she was not in a very good mood today.

"Ms. Briggs?" He said questioningly as he politely held the elevator door open for her then stepped in after her. He pushed the button for the top floor.

"Thanks, just wanted you to hold the door. It's just been a hectic day and its not even lunch time yet." She sighed.

"The price of a politician's lackey," he said facetiously.

She grimaced at that. "Do I seem like a lackey?" She asked in irritation.

"You run around doing his job before you can get to yours, which falls behind so I'd have to say, yes or doormat if you'd prefer a better term for it," Feral commented, shrugging his shoulders.

"My aren't we witty today," Callie muttered acidly.

"Not trying to belittle you at all Ms. Briggs, it's just hard to see you being constantly swamped with that good for nothings work besides your own. You're too talented to be wasted on what amounts to scut work. And, even though others might not be aware of it, I know it's you that actually runs city hall," he murmured urbanely.

"Ah..." Callie blinked at that and didn't know what to say. At first, she really thought the Commander was being snide with her but what he'd just said certainly wasn't what she'd expected. Frowning in puzzlement, she eyed him critically. "Are you alright? You're not one to give compliments even backhanded ones," she asked suspiciously.

He chuckled deep in his chest. "I'm fine, Ms. Briggs, truly. I was just making an accurate observation. I'd much rather it be you in charge, at least things would get done and you can make others to the scut work,." he told her sincerely. "Also, I'm just feeling very good about myself and my new station in life. I was such a stubborn ass for not taking my mate long ago. Now that I have, I can't imagine ever being alone again." His eyes twinkled with joy.

The doors opened and they stepped out, walking side by side down the hall toward her office.

She eyed him, bemused and a little envious. He did look much happier, more content, and she could have kicked herself for not having noticed his more upbeat demeanor and lack of temper tantrums lately. For a brief moment, she wished for that kind of happiness for herself but dismissed it as she just never had much time to date.

"I'm pleased for you, Commander. You do have the look of someone who is very content and more easy with yourself," she admitted as she laid her armload of work on her desk. "So might I ask what brings you to city hall?" She asked as she began to sort through the pile of reports.

"I need to talk with Manx about the charity affair again." He said, his face taking on a more serious mien.

Surprised, she stopped sorting and looked up at him. "Is something amiss? Please don't say we've got a problem with the venue?" She said, starting to panic a little. Changing the venue for such a large affair at the last minute was a nightmare she didn't want to contemplate.

"Easy Ms. Briggs, there's nothing amiss with the function itself. As far as I know everything is still a go. I've already delegated the security team for it and they've been briefed. Everything on site is as secure as I could make it," he soothed her quickly.

"This is personal and has to do with what we discussed yesterday, the requirement of bringing ones mate or significant other," he explained, hesitantly. He was having second thoughts about speaking to the Mayor directly, perhaps he should bounce this off Ms. Briggs first to see how she would react.

While he dithered a moment, she was still reacting to what he'd said before. "Oh, thank goodness. I was afraid I'd be running around trying to move the venue." She sighed in relief. "Anyway, I'm afraid you can't speak with the Mayor right now. He's having a breakfast meeting with some investors. Anything I can help you with?" She asked.

'And she's given me an opening too...' He thought then decided to go ahead. "Could we talk privately. I don't want to be overheard. It's a very sensitive matter," he requested softly.

Raising her brows in surprise but saying nothing, she gestured toward the Mayor's office. Feral nodded and walked into the office followed by Callie who shut the door behind her.

"Alright, what's the problem?" She asked, keeping her voice low..

He sighed and spread his paws. "How set is he on me bringing my mate to this thing?"

Frowning and wondering why on earth this was such a problem for him, she remembered him objecting earlier when they spoke of the function yesterday.

"Why is it so difficult for your mate to be with you, Commander? Trust me, I do understand your need to protect her but you are in the public eye and as such, you really don't have a private life. Believe me, I commiserate with you and her but in answer to your question...he's adamant. Told me to be sure I had a date instead of him this time. I'm in a bit of a quandary about that right now myself since I don't have anyone I'd be willing to call a 'significant other'." Sighing, she shook her head in resignation. She had no idea how she was going to solve that problem, either.

"Well, it's because my mate is a he not a she, Ms. Briggs," Feral corrected her assumption, softly.

"Huh!...what did you say?" She blurted. 'Surely she hadn't heard that right!' .

Feral looked put upon for a moment. This was harder than he'd thought and it wasn't even that fool Manx he trying to explain it to.

"Callie, I'm an hermaphrodite. My mate is male," he said precisely, wincing inside. He'd never admitted that aloud to anyone but his physician.

She could only stare, her mouth hanging open. She knew it wasn't polite to just gape but to think of this huge tom as possessing both sexes had frozen her tongue with shock. Shaking her head sharply, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Oookay. So you have a very valid reason for not having him be there," she said thickly when she was able to finally find her voice. Her mind was still whirling from this new development. 'Oh joy! This is not going to go over well with the Mayor.'

"Oh yeah." Feral sighed in unhappy agreement.

Before either could say anything more, the Mayor unexpectedly burst into his office. He blinked in surprise to see Feral there.

"Feral! Has something happened?" He asked anxiously stopping to stare at him in concern.

"Uh...no Mayor Manx..." Feral began but his tongue froze, unable to repeat what he'd said to Briggs himself.

As for Callie, she'd never thought she ever see that 'deer in the headlights' look on Feral's face in her life, as he glanced over at her desperately asking with his eyes what he should do now. For once she didn't have an answer for him and could only shrug and gesture for him to go ahead and tell the Mayor what he'd told her. Feral looked like he'd rather face Dark Kat at that moment and she really couldn't blame him.

Swallowing in humiliation, not liking to say something so personal yet again to someone else since it certainly wasn't getting any easier the more times he was required to say it, Feral took a steadying breath then said rather bluntly, "I'm afraid I really can't bring my mate to this charity affair, Mayor because it's a male not female so..."

"What?" Manx shouted in shock cutting Feral off. "D-d-d-did you say male?"

"Yes, I did. I'm..." Feral tried again.

"Nooooo. You can't be gay! It won't do at all!" Manx shouted again, going off in a panic, raising his paws and waving them in agitation.

"If you'd just shut up a moment, I'll explain!" Feral roared, getting infuriated by the Mayor's incorrect assumptions and over reactive behavior.

Manx gaped at him and shut up in surprise at Feral daring to order him.

Huffing and trying to rein in his temper, Feral started to explain when a brilliant idea flashed in his mind. His mouth was still open but he was distracted by this idea that might be a perfect solution to his problems.

'He looks like a fish out of water and just as strange,' Callie thought, wondering why he'd paused like that.

Snapping his mouth closed, Feral eyed the Mayor carefully a moment. No he better tell the Mayor first then see what he said before he tried his idea. It might not be needed.

"Mayor Manx, listen closely because I'm not willing to repeat this and, I'm warning you not to speak of it outside this office unless I say so or I'll find a way to ruin you and you know I can." He said coldly, making it clear he wasn't bluffing.

Manx continued to gape at him. First the tom orders him to shut up then he threatens him. What the hell was going on?

"I'm an hermaphrodite and have a male for a mate. Since most of high society are not so comfortable with my type of sexuality, they would be rather put off by having that shoved in their faces if I was to attend with him so I don't think it's a good idea if I went at all," he said carefully.

Manx stared at Feral in stunned amazement. Being near his desk, he backed up until he was behind it while still staring at the dark tom. His paws searched behind him desperately for his chair then sat heavily into it.

'Well I'll be damned!' He thought. 'Of all the Kats in this city why did the Chief Enforcer have to be one of those.' He closed his eyes and let his mind race over the complications this could present. He was being adamant about dates because this charity affair was about unity and family. It was important that his people show solidarity by having their significant others attend. He couldn't back down on this now. What to do? Really there wasn't any choice!

"Well, that is a complication alright but let me tell you why this affair is so vital. A major part of our future funding is hoped to be gained from this charity function. The theme, which was picked by the city council, not me, is about family unity. Having all attendees come with their significant others is a show of solidarity. Even I must show up with someone and I've not been attached since my wife died. So I can't in good conscious excuse you from attending, especially since all society will be there and are aware you're no longer single," Manx explained slowly in an unusual show of understanding and willingness to explain his decision, which he wasn't well known for with his employees.

"Wait a minute! Only my enforcers and you were supposed to know I was even mated. It wasn't meant for public consumption and I've seen nothing about it on the news," Feral objected angrily.

"That's because we put a news blackout on it but that hardly mattered since it did leak out somehow just not to the public in general. The reality though is not many in our social circle isn't aware of your new status," Manx relayed, surprised Feral hadn't been aware of that already.

The Commander blanched, fear and anger warring inside him.

Callie was as surprised as the Mayor by Feral's reaction. Normally, the dark tom was fully in tune with what high society circles were up to so he could head off any nasty problems that could upset the balance of power throughout the city's upper strata but apparently this had managed to blindside him.

To be fair, he probably failed to see this because, one, it was about him and, two, he was still enjoying the honeymoon phase of his new mating failing to realize that new love was the talk of his social peers behind his back. It was obvious he was truly upset by this news.

"Excuse me! I need to speak with my mate. I'll be back in a few minutes," Feral suddenly blurted out then left Manx's office as if his tail were on fire, leaving Callie and the Mayor confused and surprised by his sudden departure.

He didn't care what they thought, he just knew he needed to call Chance right away. Pausing a moment in the hall in indecision, he looked both ways before coming to a decision that the clock tower would be the most secure place for this call.

Once in the darkened little room that housed the clock mechanism, Feral quickly used his special communicator he was given to contact Chance. It was felt the device would be much more secure than their cell phones.

At the garage, Chance heard his comm go off in his pocket. Wiping his paws off on a rag, he looked around first before pulling it out of his pocket.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"Chance, listen. I'm here at city hall..." Feral began then explained what had happened.

"Crud! The Mayor's saying everyone in the upper strata of this city knows about you being mated?" Chance asked angrily.

"Yes! And because this event I have to attend is about solidarity, everyone attending will be bringing someone close to them. I can't be excused and neither can you. The only thing no one knows about is my mate is male except, of course, Manx and Briggs, now," Feral said bitterly.

"Oh great! What a mess."

"This is just going to get worse no matter what I do. I can adamantly refuse and suffer the consequences which could include a back lash response from those attending this thing or come out completely about myself and present you, which is another problem all by itself."

"What do you mean 'present me'?"

"I mean everyone will know I'm mated to Chance Furlong."

"What?" His mate shouted. "Are you out of your mind?"

Jake had been listening in and now stepped forward to interrupt. "Chance, as much as I don't like this either, Feral's right. The more he tries to hide this the more likely it's going to come back and bite him bad and you by extension. I wish we could stay low like we planned but since the city knows he's mated, not telling them who it is will only fuel speculation and have people in power start poking their noses in Feral's business."

"Trust me! That would be an even worse nightmare because Feral can be accused of deliberately hiding the fact he's with a known trouble maker who'd been kicked from the force and there's the possibility that under such scrutiny someone might learn who we really are. His reputation will be ruined and the SWAT Kats will be no more. However, if you guys simply 'bare it all' now and do damage control, it will blow over quicker and sooner and keep anyone from learning something much more important about us," he said gravely.

Chance felt a thrill of fear race down his spine at the scenario his partner had laid out. Jake was right, that could very well happen. "Did you hear that, Uly?"

"Yes, and as much as I'm hating all this, he's very right. I hadn't even thought about how far the the repercussions could reach out and devastate the city. By destroying our credibility it would leave the city entirely open to the depredations of the omegas," Feral said tightly. "Glad you're on our side Jake. So, Chance, to prevent that from happening, I need you to come to city hall asap. It will be much easier showing rather than just telling Manx."

"Crud, what a mess!" His mate groaned then sighed. "Yeah, Uly, I'll be there as quick as I can."

"Thanks love, see you soon," Feral murmured, relieved, then cut the connection. His feet dragging, he unwillingly returned to the Mayor's office.

Manx was drinking a cup of tea to soothe his frazzled nerves when Feral reentered his office. Eyeing him carefully, Callie made him sit down then handed him a cup of chamomile tea, hoping to soothe him.

"Here Commander, you're obviously very stressed out about this too.".

He gave her a wane smile and a murmured thanks. Sipping the tea did make him feel a little better.

"So, is there something more I need to know about your mate that you haven't shared yet?" Manx asked warily.

"Uh yeah, but we need to wait until he gets here. Believe me, who he is will cause a violent stir among the elite as well as my officers. This has the making of a media nightmare," Feral warned the Mayor gravely.

Manx set his cup down sharply. "Who the heck did you mate with...Lenny Ringtail?" He asked facetiously.

Feral just rolled his eyes and didn't respond. Clenching his tea cup tightly and kept a rein on his temper, allowing the tea to calm him but it was no longer helping much now.

They sat there tensely for some fifteen minutes, saying nothing more, the silence stretching out uncomfortably. Suddenly, a certain familiar tom dressed in clean black jeans and a nice forest green polo shirt with tennis shoes entered the office. The shirt brought out the emerald green of his eyes.

"Chance?" Callie blurted in shocked surprise at seeing her handsome mechanic here.

"Hi, Callie," Chance said lightly, giving her a lopsided smile, then walked up to Feral's seated form, leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Sorry it took me so long love, but I thought I should clean up first."

Feral inhaled his mate's scent and sighed. "You smell nice," he murmured warmly.

Chance grinned with pleasure and whispered in one of Feral's ears. "Just for you love."

Feral blushed, tilting his head up to give his mate a small smile in return.

"I don't believe this! You threw him and Jake out of the enforcers!" Callie exploded, disbelief at the loving scene before her.

"Who are you?" Manx interrupted irritable at being left out. "Callie! You obviously know who this stranger is, but I don't!"

Annoyed and angry at Manx for putting his mate in this position, Chance glared at the portly Kat and answered the question before Callie could speak. "I'm Chance Furlong, ex-enforcer and one of two city workers who handle your salvage yard." He took a protective stance behind Feral putting a paw on his mate's shoulder to show his support.

Feral reached up and placed his paw on Chance's and squeezed. "Easy, tiger."

Callie could not believe what she was seeing. Chance and Jake had no love for Feral after what had transpired when they'd been kicked off the force. But right before her eyes she could clearly see their feelings had changed dramatically.

The tough, powerfully, built tabby was tender and warm to the big, gruff, and temper-prone dark tom. Said tom returning those warm touches with ones of his own.

"How did this happen? You both hated each other?" She demanded in utter confusion.

Chance just snorted, shoving his mate's shoulder to get Feral to respond, but the dark tom seemed totally reluctant to do so. Sighing in mild annoyance, the tabby looked over at Callie and answered her question.

"This is pretty personal stuff, Callie. All I'll tell you is, Ulysses knew I was his mate when I went through the academy but refused to claim me due to officer fratnization rules but then when I was kicked out, we weren't on speaking terms. Only recently have certain events occurred to break down that barrier and brought us together. What can I say, we're both stubborn but we couldn't fight the intense need to bond and I'm glad we failed because I'm happier than I ever thought I'd be. A soul bond is like nothing in this world," Chance said passionately.

Callie could only shake her head in amazement. "That's just...I don't have any words for it but its obvious you both are very happy."

"That's all well and good but the fact he's an ex-enforcer and Feral is the one who kicked him out is going to cause a scandal," Manx moaned, holding his head in consternation.

"Well now you know why I didn't want to take to the charity ball," Feral said sardonically.

Manx could only roll his eyes in disgust at that statement.