RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Mayor Manx and Callie stepped back in shock at the two prince's fury. Confused looks spread across their faces as they watched and listened.

The guards were angry as well and had moved to stand in a menacing circle around the brothers and the Commander though no one had noted they had done that, until two of the royal guards suddenly grabbed Feral by his arms and held him prisoner between them.

Feral gasped in surprise but stayed still. He needed to know what was going to happen before he caused an international incident by bringing in his enforcers.

Their actions had an unexpected effect though. Seeing his mate being made prisoner made Tanlir see red. In a roar of fury, he flew at the guards with fangs and claws. Shocked the guards let go of Feral and stepped back.

They weren't permitted to harm any of the royal princes. Tanlir turned, putting his back against his mate and hissed furiously. His eyes fairly glowed green fire.

Both of his brothers stared at him in shocked disbelief. His behavior was not of someone who is ashamed of his actions but a mate in full protection mode.

Though they were still disgusted and furious, Tanlir's behavior caused them to pause and wait, trying to understand what was going on.

As they stood in a momentary standoff, Torr spoke carefully to his brother. "Why have you done this Tanlir? You know the law. How could you have done this? Father will be furious with you." He demanded cautiously.

"We are lifemated. I didn't plan it...it just happened. I can't forswear him now!" Tanlir hissed angrily.

His brothers gaped at him. "Lifemated!" Shane blurted in horrified shock.

"Ohhh, Tanlir!" Torr groaned in pain, his anger gone. Fear and sorrow filled his face. His brother would be banished, stripped of his title and cut off from his family forever.

Tears hovered in Shane's eyes as he too realized what his brother faced when he returned home.

"Wait! Before anyone gets anymore upset, I have something important to say." Feral spoke up for the first time since the confrontation began.

Tanlir's brothers shot him angry, hateful looks. It was because of this tom their brother would be banished and disgraced.

"What could you possibly say to salvage what you have done?" Torr hissed in anguished fury.

"From what Tanlir has told me, all of you are in competition to rule after your father and that the first to breed an heir will be next in line for the throne, correct?" Feral asked, trying to ignore the hatred being directed at him.

"Yes, that is true!" Shane spat angrily.

Sighing in relief, Feral said bluntly, "Then I guess you'll have to bow to your brother for he is now the next ruler of your kingdom because I'm pregnant."

Tanlir spun around in shocked surprise. He pulled Ulysses into his arms and sniffed him deeply. He roared with joy when his nose confirmed the truth. He wrapped his arms around the dark tom and kissed him soundly.

"You have made me incredibly happy. I love you even more than that first time we were together." He said joyfully as he nuzzled his mate who blushed furiously in embarrassment.

"Glad you're happy I wasn't so thrilled when I heard the news." Feral said ruefully.

Tanlir's two brothers gaped in disbelief. Needing to verify for themselves they moved closer to the pair and took in Feral scent. Tanlir held Uly tightly but allowed his siblings to sniff his mate.

They backed up and had identical looks of stunned amazement on their faces.

"How the devil did you manage to find a breeding hermaphrodite?" Torr finally managed to say in utter astonishment.

"By attending a conference!" Tanlir smirked. Relief making him giddy.

"Only you could be so lucky." Shane said shaking his head.

"Father must be told immediately and I guess there's no doubt that you'll be assigned here. You've forced the King's paw and I'm not sure he'll be completely happy about it...but who knows...no one could have ever predicted this." Torr said also shaking his head.

"Wait a minute, when you were in the hospital...you weren't ill with the flu were you?" Callie demanded, interrupting suddenly, having pieced together what had happened last week.

"Aw no. Sorry Ms. Briggs but I wasn't ready for anyone to know until I had a chance to tell Tanlir." Feral said quietly.

"Hospital! Why were you in the hospital?" Tanlir asked in concern.

"It's alright, I'm okay. It's something that apparently happens to male herms that get pregnant." Feral said trying to reassure his mate.

"And that is what exactly?"

Feral sighed and looked around. Everyone was watching him and expecting an answer. This was soo embarrassing.

Taking a deep breath, he said, "In the first few weeks of pregnancy, a male herm cannot produce the amount of blood necessary to sustain the kitten and themselves. To protect itself the uterus will pull all available resources to support the kitten. My physical response to that was severe anemia. I fainted and was further drained by bouts of nausea and exhaustion. The doctors gave me blood and kept me in the hospital until I was stabilized."

"But you're out of danger now and the kitten is alright?" Tanlir asked anxiously.

Feral hesitated, "Well, I have to be monitored for the next couple of months then I'll be out of danger. The kitten is fine though it's really nothing more than cells yet. Male herms react to being pregnant sooner than a female." He said in resignation. "I'm only four weeks along."

"I'm certain that you have also been told you are now removed from combat duty as well." Callie said archly.

Feral grimaced. That was the worst news he had received on top of the one that he was pregnant.

"Yes, unfortunately." He admitted unhappily.

"In your condition that is just as well." Torr said firmly. "Perhaps it might be best that your mate be taken back with us, Tanlir. Before you take up your post, you must introduce your consort to the court. The peaceful quality of our kingdom will also benefit him in ensuring he gets much needed rest."

"You are correct, Torr." Tanlir agreed eyeing his mate in concern.

"Oh now, wait a minute! I have my duties here. I can't just go off for weeks and leave it!" Feral objected in shocked dismay.

"Oh come now, Feral. Your second can handle things. By the sound of it, you don't have any choice anyway. You are mated to royalty and must abide by their customs." Mayor Manx told him firmly.

"But...but..." Feral gasped in bewilderment. It seemed he was being railroaded out of town by someone else's rules and he had no say in them.

"It's alright, my love. You'll be returning here soon enough." Tanlir soothed as he turned to nuzzle his upset mate.

"Oh yeah, that makes me feel soo much better!" Feral said in sarcastic disgust.

Tanlir had the temerity to chuckle at that.