RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The call to his parents was long and filled with comfort and joy. The King and Queen were glad Ulysses made it through alive and that their new grandson was holding his own so far. He was warned to keep them updated on Jory's progress, to send pictures, and they couldn't wait for them to be able to travel and be welcomed into the family formally. The call made Tanlir feel better as he returned to his mate's room.

In the end, Tanlir couldn't bring himself to leave the hospital. The administrator accommodated him by having a bed brought into his mate's room. His guards set a rotating schedule outside the room. The nurses grumbled a little about having to be checked each time they went in and out but otherwise the night passed quietly.

Feeding Jory was handled by the NICU as he couldn't eat by mouth and was on a feeding tube. Feral was taught how to pump his milk so that his breasts wouldn't become tight and sore or dry out. His milk was stored for Jory's use when he could take nourishment by mouth.

Feral wasn't able to visit his kitten for twenty-four hours after the birth due to the threat of him possibly bleeding again. He was required to rest with no distractions or visitors except for his niece and mate.

On the morning of the third day, he was finally allowed to go see Jory. He was helped into a special reclining wheelchair and taken down to the NICU. Tanlir had been persuaded to go home yesterday but was back to be with his mate to see their son together.

Still looking very pale, Feral stared in awe at his tiny son. The kitten was a tawny color with cheetah spots and a black tail tip like his father. A tiny thatch of black hair and black lines around his eyes were from him. He wondered what color eyes Jory would have when he opened them. He would have to wait about ten days to know.

The day nurse that was responsible for their son's care, came close and coaxed Feral to reach in and touch his son.

Feral was enthralled as his son wrapped his tiny paw around his mother's pinky finger. When Jory released his mother's finger, Feral tenderly caressed his son's face and arm, speaking soft nonsense to him. Jory waved his arms and legs in response showing that he did indeed hear his mother's voice and recognized it.

Tanlir was leaning close to his mate's face as they watched their son. All their focus was centered on their tiny son and everything else simply vanished in this perfect moment.

"He's so tiny! Gods I wish he could have stayed inside a little longer." Feral murmured in regret.

"It wasn't your fault, my love. Stop blaming yourself. You weren't really meant to carry a kitten and yet you managed it. Be proud of that." Tanlir said softly, nuzzling Ulysses tenderly.

"He's right. You did something truly remarkable and I was afraid you weren't going to make it." A familiar voice spoke softly behind them.

They looked up and saw Dr. Taglion smiling warmly at them.

"Glad to see you." Tanlir said, smiling.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world. Sorry I wasn't available at the finale but Dr. Freeborn is top in his field. You were very lucky to have him at such a dangerous time." Dr. Taglion said. He looked into the incubator and eyed the tiny kitten. "He's a strong one. He's suffered a couple of small setbacks according to the nurses but he's pulled through each time. Not surprising considering who his mother is." He murmured in gentle levity.

"Yes, he's strong and a fighter but he has such a long way to go..." Feral trailed off worriedly.

"Just keep touching him when you can and let him know you're there. They've found kittens that have been handled frequently do grow faster and respond to treatment more successfully." Taglion reassured Feral.

"I'll try." Feral said humbly.

"You should go back to bed now, Commander. You're getting a bit too pale and wane looking for my comfort." Taglion said in concern.

"Okay..." He muttered reluctantly. As much as he wanted to stay, he was feeling really tired and weak. He gave his son a last touch then closed the incubator.

An attendant, waiting nearby, jumped forward and carefully wheeled Feral back to the elevator. On his floor, his nurses noted his return and followed the chair to the tom's room. They helped Feral get resettled on his bed and hooked back up to IVs.

"Go back to work, Tanlir. I'll just be sleeping. I'll see you tonight." Feral murmured sleepily.

"Alright, love. Rest well and I'll see you later." Tanlir said reluctantly, leaning down and kissing his mate tenderly before leaving the room.

The day after the royal kitten was born, the news had raced around the city like wildfire. Jake was eating his breakfast and catching up on the news when Chance stumbled in, still groggy with sleep, holding his own bowl of cereal. He dropped onto the couch, sitting next to Jake, when the piece about the royal couple came on.

"This is Ann Gora from Katseye News with an update on Commander Feral. As we reported earlier, the Commander had been rushed to Megakat Trauma Center with complications involving his pregnancy. The latest report taken from Lt. Felina Feral stated, the Commander had come through surgery successfully and, though very small, their son is doing well."

Jake flicked the channel to another station and sighed. "Well, that's a relief."

"Way to go Feral. A son, man I bet Tanlir is flying to the moon." Chance said, chuckling.

"I don't doubt that. I bet Feral's really sore today though. It's still hard to believe he was pregnant and managed to give birth. That's an incredible feat, buddy." Jake said admiringly.

"You'll get no argument from, Jake. That took a lot of guts and he nearly lost his life accomplishing it." Chance agreed.

"Yeah. Well, he'll be out of commission for a while and we'll have to deal with Steele again." Jake said, snorting in disgust.

"Aw, Jake. I could have gone all day without hearing that." Chance grumbled, getting to his feet and taking his dish to the kitchen. "Come on, let's get to work."

"Yeah, I'm coming." Jake said, turning off the TV and following his partner.

A little after lunch, Feral got a visitor. Ms. Briggs wanted to see how Feral was doing and give the Mayor an update.

"Hello, Commander. How are you doing?" She asked, smiling warmly.

"Tired, sore and glad its over." He murmured, still a bit sleepy.

"I'm certain of that. How's your son doing?"

Feral gave a tired grin and a soft look came over his features. "He's so tiny but so perfect. I look at him and can't believe he's mine."

Callie felt a small pang of jealously at the look of wonder on the Commander's face. It was obvious he was smitten with his son as any mother would be. He'd paid a heavy price for the privilege to call himself that too.

"That's wonderful to hear. Congratulations. I bet Tanlir is overjoyed." She said grinning.

"Oh yes. He couldn't bring himself to leave so stayed overnight but I made him go while I was getting some rest. We're supposed to visit Jory again this evening." Feral said shifting a bit uncomfortably.

"I can tell you're still pretty sore so I just have something to ask before I let you get some more rest to hasten your healing. I'm assuming, that you'll be on maternity leave for however long the doctor decrees then as soon as your son can travel you'll be going to Asszeria for Jory's formal welcome into the royal family. Is this correct?" Callie asked.

"Uh...you're ahead of me on this, Ms. Briggs. I have no idea though I'm sure Tanlir does and will inform me later. I'm not happy about leaving again but since getting rid of Steele, my new second in command is more competent. At least I won't return to the mess I did the first time." Feral sighed, half closing his eyes.

"Guess I need to have a word with your mate then. Glad you have a second in command you trust to do the job finally. And, again, congratulations from the Mayor and I." Callie said, patting Feral gently on his arm then turned and left.

Feral yawned and tried to get comfortable. He needed his strength to be able to see his son this afternoon.