RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


"We have a Grade 2 placental abruption. Get the Commander ready for surgery stat." Dr. Freeborn said, grimly. The medical personnel in the room immediately began hurrying around preparing Feral.

Tanlir and Feral looked around in rising consternation and the edge of fear. Dr. Freeborn didn't keep them in suspense.

"Commander, in placental abruption, the placental lining has separated from the uterine wall. The premature labor pains you're feeling is blood beginning to pool behind the placenta. An extremely serious condition. The kitten is also experiencing distress. I won't sugar coat this, there is a thirty percent chance of mortality of the kitten and an eighty percent chance of mortality for the mother." He explained, gravely.

Tanlir went white and Feral felt like fainting.

"You're taking him to surgery. Why?" Tanlir asked, desperately getting a handle on his fear.

"To deliver the kitten and repair the damage before Commander Feral exsanguinates. We must hurry. What's in our favor is the quick response of getting him here and his excellent health. Both things should insure a good outcome." Dr. Freeborn told him, trying to give him hope that everything will work out alright.

"But it's too early!" Feral suddenly blurted. The thought of losing the kitten after trying so hard to keep it was nearly more than he could bear.

"It's only four weeks early, Commander." Dr. Freeborn soothed him. "We've had kittens that young survive. Some have a little difficulty breathing because their lungs are not completely developed but that clears up with age."

Feral was still not appeased but he really didn't have a choice as he was packaged up and quickly rushed to the surgery floor. Tanlir stuck close to his side, his face drawn and worried. He gripped his mate's paw all the way until he was prevented from entering the surgery suite.

Under normal circumstances, he would be allowed in but this was not normal, however, royal protocol required the birth be witnessed. Tanlir made that plain to Dr. Freeborn.

"Must you be in the room?" The doctor asked.

"It can't be on camera, I actually have to witness it as do two of my advisors." Tanlir said firmly.

"Oh it wouldn't be on camera. The room we have him in happens to be a student observatory. New doctors are required to observe procedures they are learning. There is a balcony above the surgical area where you can see everything that's going on and I'll have one of my assistants sit with you and answer all your questions." Dr. Freeborn assured him.

"I'll stay with you as well." The Hospital Administrator said. "Please follow me and I'll take you there now. Are your advisors here?" He asked as he began to lead Tanlir away.

But Tanlir hung back. "Please may I speak with Ulysses a moment before you start." He begged softly.

Dr. Freeborn nodded his understanding and walked him into the suite. The room was quickly being prepared as was Ulysses, who was very nervous and trying to hide his fear.

Tanlir came close and leaned over to kiss his mate and whispered words of comfort before squeezing his paw and reluctantly leaving. His heart felt tight with fear, but he shook himself mentally and reminded himself that he would help Ulysses as much as he could through their bond.

He followed the administrator down the hall and to a door not far from the surgical suite. They went inside and up some stairs. They entered a room that resembled a mini theater because of the way the seats were set in tiers, though there were only three levels. Before the seats was a huge slanted window that did indeed look directly over the bed Ulysses was on.

Tanlir took a seat on the front row and told the administrator that two royal guards and two advisors were required from the group standing outside the surgical ward doors. The administrator nodded and excused himself to retrieve the personnel indicated as well as insure Dr. Freeborn's assistant Dr. Chase had arrived.

While Tanlir waited, he watched tensely as Ulysses was put under anesthesia. He was draped with blue sheets in such a way as to leave his belly open to the air and his feet were placed in stirrups with his legs open wide. IVs had been started with blood plasma and fluids. Other things were attached to his mate that he wasn't very clear on what they were for. Some he knew monitored Uly's breathing, pulse and heart rate. Another, he thought registered the kittens vitals.

The door opened below him and he heard a group coming up the stairs. Both of his advisors came toward him with grave looks and took up seats on either side of him. To his surprise, Felina Feral had also arrived and sat just behind him. Somehow she'd found out about her uncle.

He reached back and grasped her paw in his in mutual comfort. She gave him a wane but worried smile in return, her eyes straying toward her uncle.

"I came as soon as I heard, Tanlir. What do they say is wrong?" Felina asked worriedly.

Tanlir explained what he'd been told and she gripped him even tighter a moment longer before releasing him.

"He's survived so many things. I'm certain he'll make it through this as well." She said, trying to give hope to them both by reminding them how tenacious the Commander was.

"I'm sure he will, Felina." Tanlir said softly returning his gaze below as the doctors prepared to begin surgery.

"Your highness." One of his advisors murmured. "The King and Queen have been notified."

Tanlir just nodded, glad someone had remembered to do that.

Elsewhere in the city, word was just reaching the public about Commander Feral.

Chance and Razor had been eating dinner when a news bulletin interrupted the show they'd been watching.

At city hall, Callie had heard a rumor race through the building and had returned to her office then passed through to the Mayor's to turn on his TV. The Mayor had been preparing to leave for the day.

"What's going on Callie?" He asked, a frown on his face.

"I don't know Mayor, I just heard a rumor concerning the royal couple...shhh...listen!" She said suddenly when Ann Gora of Katseye News appeared on screen.

"This is Ann Gora and I'm standing before the ER entrance of Megakat Trauma Center where Commander Ulysses Feral was rushed here just hours ago. He had been at Pumadyne earlier today to observe the testing of a new weapon when he began experiencing severe abdominal pain.

He was rushed here and quickly examined then taken to surgery. What we've been able to find out is something serious has occurred with Commander Feral's pregnancy. Whatever the problem is, its serious enough to warrant the termination of his pregnancy and the early delivery of his kitten which wasn't due for another four weeks. We've been told the danger to the Commander and his kitten if this is not done, is very high...nearly eighty percent mortality.

Prince Tanlir is at his mate's side as is Lt. Felina Feral, the Commander's niece. We will be standing by here waiting for more information and we'll pass it on to you as soon as we do. This is Ann Gora of Katseye News at Megakat Trauma Center."

"Ahhh...this is terrible. Callie, you must go to the hospital and offer our support and let me know immediately about the outcome." Mayor Manx said, worried about the financial loss of the embassy should Feral die.

"Yes Mayor." She said annoyed at the Mayor knowing exactly what the pompous, greedy Kat was thinking but fortunately, she also wanted to be on hand. She sincerely prayed everything would go alright for Feral and his kitten.

"Crud! After all the effort he's gone through to keep his kitten now this has to happen!" Chance said unhappily.

"Yeah, it just doesn't seem fair." Jake added, an upset look on his face. "Let's pray he and his kitten pulls through."

"I will!" Chance said grimly. Whatever he might think of the Commander in this one area he was just as worried as those close to the prickly tom.

Back at the hospital, Tanlir was sitting on the edge of his seat. He barely asked what was going on, so focused was he on maintaining a steady stream of healing energy to his mate.

Below, the doctors worked quickly and efficiently. They hadn't wanted to do a caesarean section because it carried the greatest risk but the kitten was in distress as was the mother so no other choice was left. The very real chance the mother would bleed to death and his kitten suffocate from lack of oxygen was high.

To ensure a greater chance of survival, Dr. Freeborn had two assistants at paw to be ready to stop any bleeding as quickly as they could and Feral's blood had been tested for clotting and it was a relief to find his clotting factors were present and working.

Dr. Freeborn quickly cut a midline incision for a larger than normal abdominal opening to be able to get at the hidden bleeding behind the placenta. As soon as the cavity was opened, blood poured out. No one panicked as the bleeding was suctioned and the tear was revealed. While his assistants dealt with the bleeding, Dr. Freeborn quickly cut the uterus and removed the kitten, handing it off quickly to the waiting pediatricians.

Tanlir was horrified by the amount of blood but the doctor's calm behavior made him relax just a little. He tensed again when an incredibly tiny creature was lifted from his mate's belly and carefully handed off.

He couldn't see what sex it was and soon his kitten was surrounded by doctors of its own. His nerves were raw as the kitten hadn't cried yet. He flicked his eyes back to his mate. The monitors showed he was holding his own despite the fact the bleeding hadn't been brought under control yet. Dr. Freeborn was removing the evidence of pregnancy to make it easier to seal off the bleeding.

It took nearly ten minutes, but finally the bleeding was stopped. Silence still held as there was still no sound from the table where his kitten was still being worked on.

Dr. Freeborn had glanced over at the pediatricians himself. One could see his brow furrow in concern over his surgical mask.

Finally, to everyone's relief a weak cry was heard. The Hospital Administrator leaned over to depress the mic that allowed them to speak to the doctors.

"Dr. Renson, the kitten must be seen to be witnessed by royal edict. Please show the kitten and tells us its sex." He asked formally.

Dr. Renson looked up and nodded. Gently, he raised the tiny body up and with a nurse staying close with an oxygen hose, he moved closer to the windows and held the kitten up.

"It's a male and in generally good condition for having arrived too early. He must go immediately to the NICU because he still requires a little assistance for breathing and he needs to gain weight before he can go home." Dr. Renson said. "Are you through, because he really needs to go."

The administrator looked toward the advisors and was given the green light. "Yes, he can go and thank you Dr. Renson. The advisors will be coming to the NICU with Prince Tanlir in a little while."

Dr. Renson nodded and returned to the warming table to finish his exam and to place the kitten in an incubator. The little one was soon being rolled out and taken away to the Newborn Intensive Care Unit.

Tanlir stayed in the surgical suite until his mate was taken to the recovery room. Limp with relief, he and Felina went together to the NICU followed by his advisors.

His son was still being hooked up with all kinds of monitoring devices as well as oxygen when he arrived. He and his advisors were allowed close but not to hold or get close until the nurses were finished.

Tanlir stared in amazement at his son. The kitten was no bigger than his two palms together.

"Oh, Goddess! He is so tiny. Its so unfair that he had to come so soon." He moaned in sorrow.

"He looks strong though, Tanlir. Don't sell him short. He'll make it." Felina said gently, wrapping a comforting arm around the cheetah.

Tanlir couldn't answer, his throat was too tight. After about thirty minutes, the nurse in charge of his son's care indicated he could come close but no one else.

Tanlir approached the incubator with some trepidation. His son looked lost in the huge incubator and almost completely hidden by all the equipment that was monitoring him. He carefully reached in as the nurse coaxed him to do and gently caressed the tiny cheek and arm. The kitten shivered a bit in response but otherwise made no other sound.

"He knows you're there, he's just too tired from all he's been through." The nurse said kindly. "Do you have any questions about your son's care?"

"Uhh...no not right now. You're doing a great job of caring for him. Thank you." Tanlir said, not able to take his eyes or fingers off his new son.

"You're welcome. You can visit any time you want. When Commander Feral is able, he will be wheeled down to see him as well." The nurse told him then went about her duties.

The Prince stayed for some twenty minutes more before leaving to see Ulysses. His advisors said their farewells. Felina gave him a hug and left to return to duty.

"Do you wish me to call the King and Queen, your highness?" One advisor asked politely.

Tanlir blinked, looking back at the NICU distractedly. "Ah no, I'll...I'll call them after I've seen Ulysses. Thank you anyway."

"Of course, your highness. See you later and please, do get some rest. Your new family will need you alert." The advisor chided him gently before he and his fellow advisor took their leave of the prince.

His advisor was right, he did need to get some rest before he fell over. Giving so much energy to his mate, had left Tanlir limp and exhausted, he needed to recoup it soon. He walked into the recovery room but learned Ulysses had already been taken up to his private room. Trailed by his guards, Tanlir went to the sixth floor and down to the room the nurses had told him Ulysses would be.

Stepping into the quiet room, he found his mate sleeping, IVs were still in his arms and monitors were making soft beeping and clicking noises. He went to Ulysses' side and leaned down to kiss the tired and very pale brow.

Uly's bloodshot gold eyes fluttered open and stared up at him blearily. He tried to speak but only a croak came out. Tanlir quickly filled a glass that was nearby, and a straw, placing it in his mate's mouth so that he could suck some water down while the cheetah kept hold of the glass.

Feral sighed. His mouth had tasted like sand and he ached everywhere. His body felt like lead. His mind felt like molasses as well because it took him several minutes to even ask about his kitten.

"Our kitten..."

"He's fine, love. He's very tiny but he's doing alright so far." Tanlir said softly.

Feral let his fear run out of him at that news. 'A son...Wow!' He thought deliriously.

"I'm so proud of you my love. It was a great risk for you and you succeeded. Now we need a name for him." Tanlir said, a frown of concentration on his face as he tried to think of a perfect name for their little one.

Ulysses' mind was like mush but a stray thought swam up and he blurted, " Jory."

Tanlir blinked. It was a rather odd name but it sounded nice and was easy on the ears. He smiled and accepted. "Jory it is, my love."

Calico Briggs was waiting patiently outside the surgery area when Felina came out with the advisors. She stopped to talk with the Deputy Mayor.

"How's your uncle?" Callie asked.

"He made it through the surgery alright despite some really heavy bleeding and the kitten, though small, is doing okay as well in the NICU." Felina said, sighing in relief.

"That's good to hear." Callie said, equally relieved. "Beware the press is lurking just outside." Callie said in mild amusement.

Felina grimaced. "Oh joy! Maybe I should ask for a chopper pickup?" She mused a moment.

"If you do, can I hitch a ride. I'm not interested in a press conference when I'm not ready for it. You could fill me in for the Mayor's report." Callie suggested with grin.

"Good idea. Let me contact the tower and see if we can catch a patrol and get out of here." Felina decided. She pulled out her cell and contacted the comm center at Enforcer Headquarters. She got lucky and in about fifteen minutes, she and the Deputy Mayor were being collected from the hospital chopper pad atop the roof.