RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


The next morning, Feral was packed and his apartment closed. He had gone to Enforcer Headquarters to give last minute instructions and to answer any questions his second might have. Dr. Taglion was to meet him here and check his blood pressure. He sent his Sergeant down to the lobby to wait his arrival.

He had just finished signing the last of the urgent reports that required his signature when Dr. Taglion arrived trailing behind the Sergeant. He waited until Feral had handed off the documents to his second, who left, then settled back in his chair.

Dr. Taglion strode up the steps and pulled out his blood pressure cuff. Feral sleeves were rolled up so it was easy to place the cuff on and take a reading.

"Excellent. Everything looks good, Commander. We ready to leave?" He asked politely as he put away his cuff in his medical bag.

The Sergeant looked at his superior with a puzzled frown. Feral still had not told anyone why he was going nor that he was pregnant. Eyeing his loyal sergeant thoughtfully, he came to a decision.

"Yes doctor, we'll leave here momentarily but I need to speak with my sergeant for a moment. If you would wait outside, I'll be right out." Feral said to the doctor.

"Certainly."

As soon as Dr. Taglion closed the door behind him, Feral addressed the patiently waiting Sergeant.

"What I'm about to tell you will be in the news within a few days. No one else knows about this but the Mayor and Deputy Mayor. I have recently life mated to Prince Tanlir. This occurred when he was here for the Coalition conference. I've just found out I'm pregnant which makes Tanlir the next in line to the throne. Because I'm male, his parents might be a bit shocked and upset so they haven't been told. Tanlir intends to present me to the King and Queen in person so everything about this has been kept secret. You are not to speak of this until the announcement is made officially by the representatives of Asszeria. Understood?" Feral asked him.

The Sergeant had been stunned by this unprecedented news but recovered quickly. "Understood, sir. May I offer my congratulations on your mating and your pregnancy. I hope all goes well for you." He said warmly.

"Thank you! Take care of things for me." Feral said smiling then he got up from his desk and made for the coat rack. Slipping his coat on, he went out of his office and along with the doctor, went down to the lobby to wait for Tanlir's limo to come pick them up.

Very soon they were aboard the Princes Lear Jet winging their way to Asszeria. Feral and Tanlir sat side by side holding paws while the doctor decided to take a nap. Behind them, Tanlir's brothers were playing a game.

Feral was impressed with the spaciousness of the jets passenger area, with its thick carpeting, excellent sound proofing, and thickly cushioned seats. When they were served lunch halfway through the flight, it was a sumptuous meal of cold cuts, salads, finger foods, deserts, and an excellent wine. Feral stomach's however, was too unsettled to enjoy it much.

"Here Commander, have a little chicken without bread, some watermelon, and some camomile tea. That will give you the calories you need but won't make your stomach upset more. Drink the tea first then eat slowly. I also want you to drink plenty of fluids, no wine or caffeine." The doctor instructed him.

Feral sighed and nodded. Tanlir insisted on making him a plate of the suggested food. They sat and talked, with Feral asking many questions about Tanlir's home and what his parents were like.

"Perhaps, you should take a nap, my love then you'll be fresh when we arrive." Tanlir coaxed.

"I'm not tired." Feral said shaking his head in refusal.

Tanlir leaned close and pulled his mate's head gently toward him and kissed him long and lingeringly. Feral sighed, enjoying the attention. Coaxing with his paws, Tanlir made Feral lean against his chest while he caressed his back in soothing strokes. Feral relaxed into the soothing touch and fell asleep without realizing it.

Tanlir smiled lovingly at his mate as he rested against his chest in slumber. Torr got up and walked up to the pair. He paused and smiled at the tender scene, giving his brother a warm smile and moving on to the rest room.

Torr was thrilled that his younger brother had been so blessed, and lucky, to have found a mate that he shared a life bond with. Though it still amazed him that it was a male, he was envious of Tanlir for his good fortune. He hoped when his time came he would be so blessed, although he wanted a female mate.

When the jet landed, it was late in the afternoon. Royal guards and limos were waiting for the Princes as they deplaned. The press in their kingdom was a bit more polite than they were in Megakat City so there wasn't pushing and shoving with shouted questions and demands for pictures. Instead there were cameras clicking and polite gestures requesting attention that the Princes could choose to ignore if they wished.

They had talked about this on the trip and had decided to give the press a snippit that something was up without telling them what it was. So Torr moved forward of the group and addressed the press as the others made for the limos and climbed in.

"Our trip was a great success. There will be a press conference soon. Perhaps by tomorrow. Be alert, there is some special news to be presented as well. I thank you for your patience. Good day." He told them then turned and climbed into the limo.

The press went nuts. The sharp-eyed ones had seen the strangers among the royal entourage and wondered at their presence. One member of the press had recognized Commander Feral from a press release on the Coalition Plan. Newsrooms buzzed as they tried to think what the special announcement could be.

The drive to the palace was breathtaking for Feral and Dr. Taglion. Tanlir pointed out the main highlights as they passed.

"This is truly a fairy tale place come true." Taglion said in awe as he stared at the surrounding forests and the horse drawn carts and wagons.

"Yes, you are certainly right there, doctor." Feral agreed. "It's truly beautiful here, Tanlir." Feral murmured to his mate as he continued to stare out the window.

"I'm glad you find it so. I can't wait to show you around, love." Tanlir said warmly.

When they arrived at the palace and climbed out of the limos, the King's Seneschal was there to greet them warmly. He looked surprised to see two extra guests.

"Greetings your highnesses. I trust your flight was uneventful?" He asked politely.

"Yes, smooth as always, Camden." Torr responded with a smile. "We have guests. This is Commander Ulysses Feral, the originator of the Coalition plan and Dr. Taglion. Are our parents available to see us?" He asked.

"They specifically asked that you be brought to them as soon as you arrived, your highness." Camden said smiling back. "They are waiting for you in the atrium where a late dinner has been held awaiting your arrival."

"Excellent! You might as well come along Camden. Tanlir has news that you will want to hear. It's going to rock the kingdom." Torr said with a wicked smile.

"Indeed! Well, perhaps we should hurry. I can't wait to hear what this momentous news could be." Camden said giving Prince Tanlir a studied look before turning to lead the way into the side entry of the main hall.

Feral stared entranced by the opulence and beauty of the furnishings, wall hangings and the elaborate woodwork of the walls, trim work, doorways, and bannisters to the broad stairways. Many oil paintings hung here and there as well. The place was incredible.

Camden opened a set of leaded glass doors that led into a stunning indoor garden. The King and Queen sat on a beautifully embroidered divan. A little ways from them was a large table with heavily padded chairs where a feast was being brought in by servants from another entrance. Seated at some of the chairs were the rest of Tanlir's brothers.

Formality was relaxed in this obvious family setting. Feral had been too busy to be nervous about meeting Tanlir's parents but now, as he stood before them, his heart was in his throat and butterflies in his stomach.

Torr, Shane, and Tanlir led the way to their parents. Camden went to stand behind the King's seat. Both the King and Queen stood up and warmly greeted their sons.

"Oh, it is so good to see you all home safely. I trust everything has gone well?" Their father asked as he gestured for everyone to have a seat.

"Yes father, but before we all sit and discuss it, I have some important news to tell you." Tanlir announced. His knees were trembling and butterflies were swarming in his belly though he didn't show it as he quickly pushed ahead before he lost his nerve.

"Oh? I see we have guests, do they have something to do with your news?" His father asked as he cocked his head inquisitively at the strangers.

"Yes, Father." Tanlir answered then extended his paw to Feral who had stayed in the background with Dr. Taglion.

Swallowing hard with nerves, Feral came forward to take his paw, gripping it tight. Tanlir squeezed back showing just how nervous he was as well.

"Father...Mother...this is Ulysses Feral, Chief Enforcer of Megakat City, originator of the Coalition Plan, and my new lifemate." He said in a rush.

His parents, his other brothers and the Seneschal sat frozen in utter shock. Before they could erupt in anger, Tanlir hurried on. "And he's four weeks pregnant with my kitten. He's a hermaphrodite."

His father's face had begun to turn red with fury but as his ears picked up the addition, his mouth gaped open in utter shock. His mother was still trying to grasp what she'd heard and his brothers were equally at a loss for words.

"Only Tanlir could succeed in finding a breeding hermaphrodite at a conference, lifemate with him and get him pregnant. Believe me, father, Shane and I were totally envious. How could one Kat be that lucky?" Torr spoke quickly into the silence trying to use levity to break the strained atmosphere.

"He's pregnant?" The Queen finally managed to ask in a bewildered tone.

"Yes, Mother. He's a bit fragile right now. This is Dr. Taglion..." Tanlir quickly gestured for the doctor to come forward. "He's a specialist in herms and will be monitoring Ulysses' condition while he's here." He informed them.

"Fragile? He's a big, apparently healthy looking tom! How could he be fragile?" Tanlir's brother Vito blurted out in disbelief.

"Pardon me, your highness, your majesties. I will explain. Male herms are not designed very well for pregnancy. The foetus gathers all the blood it needs to sustain itself in the first trimester. A female automatically begins to produce more blood to compensate but male herm bodies don't institute this safety feature until much later in the pregnancy. Because of this, they are subject to severe anemia and even heart failure during these crucial first few months. This is why he must be constantly monitored and not allowed to take many risks his job usually entails or be under any real stress until this period passes." Dr. Taglion explained quietly.

"Oh my! What a risk you take sir." The Queen said in concern and sympathy toward her new son-in-law. "Have you been able to avoid any of these problems?" She asked.

"I wasn't aware I was pregnant, your majesty, until I, unfortunately passed out while on duty. I did suffer a bout of anemia but I assure you I'm fine right now." Feral answered reassuringly.

"Oh dear! How awful. Well, we will certainly make sure you suffer no excessive stress here, only rest and relaxation. Welcome to our family, Ulysses." The Queen said warmly as she stood and gave Feral a hug which he returned rather tentatively.

The King, in the meanwhile, was still trying to grasp the fact that this was his son's new mate and that the kitten this male carried was the next heir to the throne. It boggled his mind.

He stood without realizing it and came to Feral's side. The male was as tall as the King and was well built and strong. He was a handsome Kat but it still was a hard thing to accept that this was his son-in-law (?). It was very weird. He sniffed the air lightly and detected the definite scent of a pregnant female that was strangely laced with the obvious scent of a male. He shook his head and tried to think how he was going to explain this to his council much less the populace.

"Father?" Tanlir asked hesitantly seeing his father studying his mate, a frown of concentration on his face. He was worried that perhaps the King would not accept his bonding.

His father came out of his thoughts and eyed his son in bemusement.

"Forgive me, my son. This is very difficult to accept even though the evidence is indisputable. Your pardon, Ulysses for my poor manners in not greeting you properly as is your due. Welcome to our family." The King said politely giving Feral a brief hug.

"Thank you sir. It's a pleasure to be here. Your kingdom is so very beautiful." Feral said searching for words to appease the King.

The King smiled warmly at that statement. "We like to think so. I'm sure Tanlir will be showing you around once you've settled in. How long do you intend to stay?" He asked.

"Tanlir told me it would take about two months to have me introduced and for our bond to be formally acknowledged." Feral said questioningly.

"Yes that would be about right though in this strange case, it might be a bit longer." The King said thoughtfully. "But come, let's sit down and have a bite to eat and you can tell me how this came about."

Everyone dutifully took their seats and were served. Excited questions began to fly when the main course had been served. Tanlir and Feral tried to answer them all as honestly as they could. By the time desert was served, the most pressing questions had been answered. The King and Queen bid them a good evening and left them alone with the brothers.

But before any of them could start a new round of questioning, Tanlir had noticed his mate was getting tired and looking a bit pale from the high state of alert he'd been sustaining while the King and Queen were still around. So he put his foot down.

"Now look! Tomorrow will be soon enough to ask more questions but right now, Ulysses needs his rest. He's looking a bit pale so I want Dr. Taglion to check him out before going to bed. So we will now say good night." Tanlir told his brothers firmly.

There were looks of disappointment but no one voiced an objection. Sighing mentally in relief, Tanlir signaled his mate and Dr. Taglion to follow him to his quarters.