RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Feral left his mate to continue getting more work done. Tanlir and his brothers met with architects and security specialists for the redesign of their new embassy. Torr had reported to his father on their new acquisition and the successful completion of the agreement but never spoke of Tanlir's new status. Their father was pleased with his news and wished them a safe trip home the next day.

Leaving his brothers to take care of any final details, Tanlir left with his guards to pick up Ulysses and head to his afternoon appointment.

Feral was waiting for them on the curb with his own set of guards. His enforcers had been staring at the guards wherever he went, puzzled as to why their commander needed them. He wasn't about to tell them.

He'd spent the morning briefing his second in command, Lt. Commander Winsor, a recent transferee from Sandaval Bay Conferation's Security Forces. He'd only been in Megakat City for six months. Not long enough for him to be familiar enough with the threats against the city or the hassle of handling the SWAT Kats but he didn't have any choice. All he could do was give the slim gray tom Kat an over view of what he faced and his cell phone number. Feral prayed the omegas would just lay low for a bit.

Just before he had to leave, he held a special meeting with his department heads and squadron leaders about his absence and their need to help the second as much as possible. He didn't explain why he was leaving which left them confused and concerned. Feral wasn't worried. In a few days the whole world would be aware of his new status.

He still felt conspicuous with these guards hanging around him. He was glad Tanlir was on time so he wasn't feeling like a target standing here. He climbed in hurriedly as did the guards and they were soon speeding on their way. Feral gave the nearest guard the address which he passed to the driver.

He and Tanlir traded the day's news as their limo made its laborious way through heavy mid town traffic. Twenty minutes later they were pulling into an underground parking garage of a ten story medical building. The driver pulled up near the elevator and waited as Tanlir, Feral, and four guards got out. Feral pressed the button for the fifth floor. Tanlir took his paw in his own and kept it as doors opened on their floor. Feral lead the way to an office some two doors down.

Entering the quiet and empty waiting room, Feral signed in and was told he would be summoned in just a few minutes.

Tanlir pushed him gently toward a comfortable chair and took the one beside him. The guards ranged themselves nearby. Feral didn't feel like talking so they sat in comfortable silence until he was called in. She was a bit startled and annoyed by the large group following her.

"Excuse me but only the patient and his mate are allowed back here!" She said politely but firmly to the four guards.

"I'm sorry madam, but Prince Tanlir is not allowed to travel anywhere alone for his safety. We will not go into the exam room except to check it for security reasons but we will remain nearby." The lead guard said firmly, his face stony and implacable.

The nurse gaped at Tanlir in shocked surprise. "A Prince?"

"Yes, I am. Could we move on please?" Tanlir said politely, mildly amused at her reaction.

"Oh, yes, of course." She said, quite flustered as she continued down the hall. She quickly restored her professionalism as she stopped at a scale. "Alright Commander, you know the drill by now."

Feral sighed and removed his coat and weapon handing them to Tanlir as he stepped onto the scale. The nurse noted his weight then they were on their way again. She opened a door and was quickly but gently moved aside as a guard went in, looked around, then nodded it was safe and stepped back out. Rolling his eyes in annoyance, Feral stepped into the room followed by Tanlir.

"I know how you feel, my love. I've had to pretend I'm alone all my life." Tanlir said in mild amusement.

"I can imagine it feels like being in a fish bowl." Feral said dryly as he began to undress.

"Well put, Uly. That's how it feels exactly." The cheetah grinned then moved quickly to prevent his mate from leaning down.

"Please let me do it, love." He said firmly and Feral sighed and sat up, letting the Prince pull his boots off and place them under a chair and hanging the Commander's clothes on the hooks provided. Feral put on the really too small gown and waited.

Only moments later, his physician, a slim cream-colored tabby male, knocked then stepped into the room.

"Well so this is your mate. I hear he's a real live Prince. Congratulations, Commander on a fine catch." The doctor said smiling warmly.

"Dr. Vander, this is Prince Tanlir from the Kingdom of Asszeria." Feral introduced his mate.

"A pleasure to meet you sir," Dr. Vander said politely as he shook the cheetah's paw.

"And you sir. We have an urgent question to ask you doctor. Ulysses must go to my home to be introduced to the King and Queen and the people of my home. He's explained how fragile his condition is and I've checked and there are no specialists in my land that can monitor his pregnancy. We are hoping you or someone you know can travel with us and monitor him. You will be well compensated." Tanlir explained their problem.

"Oh...well I'm flattered but I'm afraid I have far too many patients to do that. Hmmm, there might be someone but I'll have to call him and see if he'll be willing. He's semi-retired and not taking active patients anymore. He would be perfect for what you need. How much time does he have to make a decision?" Dr. Vander asked.

"We leave tomorrow." Tanlir said, shrugging in apology at the short notice.

"Oh my, well, again, all I can do is ask him. Let's finish up here and I'll give him a call." He said.

The exam was quick and thorough. The doctor also checked his blood pressure and had the nurse draw his blood.

"Okay, Commander, you can get dressed now...everything looks good. Let's hope your blood results are the same. Come to my office as soon as you're dressed." The doctor said as he stripped his gloves off, tossed them in the trash and left the room.

Tanlir helped Uly redress then they stepped back out into the hallway. Feral led the way to another door and stepped in. Dr. Vander was writing notes, apparently in Feral's file, when they took their seats before his desk. They waited patiently as the doctor finished.

"I'm pleased to say your blood volumes are in the normal range, thankfully. Your blood count only has to be monitored this carefully for at least another month and a half for you to be safely past the danger zone." He told Feral. "Now, if you'll wait in the outer room for a little, I'll try and contact my colleague and see if he can take you on for the period you're out of country." Dr. Vander requested.

"Excuse me doctor, is it safe for Ulysses to travel?" Tanlir asked in concern.

"Let me very blunt here, your highness. Commander Feral's health is very precarious at this time. If my colleague cannot go then the Commander definitely can't. He has to be constantly monitored. If his blood volume plunges suddenly, he could suffer heart failure. Male herms are just not built that well to sustain a pregnancy as easily as a female. So, though I understand the very real need for him to go, I can't sanction him doing so without medical support." The doctor said grimly.

Feral shivered at hearing his risks so bluntly stated. He'd been told before but it was really hitting home that he had to take great care of himself. Something he wasn't very good at when it came to the needs of his job.

Tanlir swallowed. This was far more serious than he had imagined. "Then I truly hope your colleague can do this, doctor. We'll go to the waiting room and hope for a positive outcome." He said quietly, standing up.

"I hope so too, your highness." Dr. Vander said with a nod.

Feral got up and followed Tanlir as they collected their guards and went to the waiting room. It was thirty minutes later when the doctor finally appeared. He handed Feral a piece of paper and a thick folder.

"Dr. Taglion may be interested but he'd like to see you first. This is his address and these are your medical records with today's exam enclosed. If he takes you on, then he will continue to monitor your pregnancy from now on. I'll be backup if need be. Good luck, Commander. Hope all goes well with you. It was a pleasure meeting you, your highness." Dr. Vander said in farewell.

"Thank you so much for your help and for your excellent care of my mate." Tanlir said warmly.

"Thank you." Feral added, holding the file tightly in his paw.

The doctor nodded then returned to his office as they made their way out.

"I am truly grateful that his colleague might help us. Let's hurry to his place so that you and he will have time to put your affairs in order and pack." Tanlir said in pleased excitement as he handed the address to the driver.

Feral just sighed in agreement though he really hated to be poked and prodded.

The drive was a good forty minutes from city center. It seemed the doctor lived in the countryside. They were soon driving up a long paved road that lead to a heavily forested area with a very nice home nestled in it. When they knocked on the door, a pleasant looking she-kat opened it and smiled.

"Ah, you must be Commander Feral. Welcome sir. I am Dr. Taglion's housekeeper. Please follow me to his office." She said, stepping back and gesturing them into the spacious entryway.

Once they were all in, Tanlir turned to his guards and gestured for them to remain here. Two of them were already patrolling outside. The housekeeper led then deeper into the house. They reached a comfortable office/den. Filled bookcases covered a wall, a heavy oak desk sat under a wide bay window, and a comfortable couch was across from it.

Just coming from behind the desk and approaching them was an older black and white tuxedo tom Kat. Some grey was streaking his mane of hair and his facial fur.

"Greeting, Commander Feral and Prince Tanlir. Welcome to my home." He said briskly, his gruff manner tempered by a small smile.

"Thank you for being willing to see us on such short notice, doctor." Tanlir said politely.

"Well, it sounded intriguing. I don't get out much anymore. I do a lot of research since I retired but I do take the occasional patient that interests me. So Commander, you've already had an incident of anemia. Any other problems I should know about?" He asked, taking the medical file from Feral and getting down to business.

For the next hour, the doctor grilled Feral, did another exam then asked Tanlir some pertinent medical questions about himself. When he was through, he had them go with his housekeeper to get a bite of lunch, dismissing Feral's objection with a tart, 'You are feeding two now, sir. Go eat!' Not able to argue with him especially since Tanlir seconded it, he was now enjoying a delicious home made roasted tuna sandwich, with soup and cold glass of milk.

As they were finishing, the doctor walked into the sunny dining room. The housekeeper silently but pointedly placed a plate before him when he sat down. He nodded absently picking up the sandwich and taking a bite as he directed his attention to the pair waiting for him expectantly.

"I'll take the job. I already know it's not going to be a picnic with you, Feral. You are notorious for not listening to medical advice. Let me make myself perfectly clear...you will do as I tell you if you want to get through this pregnancy alive and healthy. I'll brook none of your attitude when it concerns your health. Do you understand me, sir?" The doctor's eyes stared at him implacably.

Feral sighed. He really didn't have a choice and that seemed to be the way his life was going lately.

"I understand. Thank you for doing this." He said heavily.

The doctor gave him a small smile of understanding. "It's hard having all your choices made for you isn't it, Commander? You're used to making all the decisions and this time they are out of your paws. Buck up! I'll get you through this! All I ask is that you do your best to avoid getting into trouble, which, you must admit, you are prone to finding or it finds you." He said knowingly.

Feral grimaced and gave the doctor a wane smile in return. Dr. Taglion understood him better than any of the doctors that had been responsible for his care. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Our plane departs at eleven o'clock tomorrow, doctor. Would you like to be picked up?" Tanlir asked.

"Thank you. I would appreciate that. How long do I need to pack for?" He asked.

"About a month or two." Tanlir responded.

"Alright. See you two tomorrow. Commander, get plenty of rest and hydrate yourself before flying and don't skip a meal. If your blood pressure is low when I check it in the morning, we will not be taking off until it improves." He warned firmly.

"Understood, sir. I'll make sure of it." Tanlir said firmly as they took their leave. The doctor nodded and the housekeeper saw them out.

As they climbed aboard the limo, Tanlir said, "I feel much better about you going home with me now. I like Dr. Taglion no nonsense attitude and competent manner."

"Yeah. I like him too." Feral agreed with a sigh. He had some major packing to do and preparing his apartment for his long absence as well as inform building security to keep an eye on it.