RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Dimension Two...

Jaren and Ulysses were finished eating and enjoying their wine when Mayor Manx arrived at their table with a small entourage. Feral tensed a bit but relaxed when Jaren touched his paw resting on the table. He smiled warmly and turned with a relaxed look at the Mayor who now stood before them.

"Pardon me, Jaren. I hope I'm not interrupting?" Mayor Manx asked politely.

"No, we're finished. Please have a seat Mayor." Jaren said with a friendly look.

Manx took a seat beside Jaren while Callie sat next to Feral. Ann hovered nearby. Manx barely glanced at Feral, still uncomfortable with what their closeness meant.

"Ahh...I was looking for you earlier. Mr. Thorson and I were discussing an interesting business venture he was proposing and I wanted your opinion on it. You've been a bit hard to locate for a while. Do you think you'll have a little time now to discuss it?" Manx asked maintaining his practiced politician smile even though he was burning with curiosity like everyone else.

"Well if you find Mr. Thorson I might be willing to listen." Jaren smiled pleasantly making no move to get up.

Manx blinked in surprise but recovered quickly and turned to Callie. "Would you go locate Mr. Thorson for me and bring him here, Callie? Thank you!" He signaled a waiter for a drink as Callie got up and left to look for the investor.

During this lull, Ann Gora leaped in, smoothly taking Callie's seat and boldly stared at Jaren.

"Mr. Fangmore, I'm sure you know the entire room is buzzing about what your intimate closeness to Commander Feral means, I know I do." She said getting right to the point. "Unlike them, I believe this is something much more serious than another one of your temporary liaisons."

"Oh...you do heh?" Jaren said smiling like a crocodile. "Well, after years of hopes and dreams, I have finally attained my greatest wish in life." He said turning his eyes to his mate and saying, "The love of the one I've desired, admired and loved for years. Now he is mine and I'm the happiest Kat in Megakat City." Feral found himself blushing furiously and dropping his eyes in embarrassed warmth at the fervent declaration.

Ann raised her eyebrows at the amazing sight of a blushing Chief Enforcer. "Well that does sound serious and I don't think I've ever seen Commander Feral blush before so I'm going to stick my neck out and say that you and he are committed to each other." She said daring Jaren to deny it.

"More than that, Ann. We are lifemated!" Jaren said simply.

"Congratulations! That news is going to infuriate all those females that have been praying for a chance at your side. Now you've dumped them all for a male. Truly this is going to cause quite the uproar. But I have to ask, how do you intend to beget an heir to inherit your considerable business empire?" Ann asked though she had a suspicion she knew though her peers would think she was mad to even entertain the thought.

Feral squirmed uncomfortably, but knew that this question was going to have to be answered otherwise Jaren would be constantly harassed by his stockholders on the subject. His movement caused Jaren to flick his eyes on him. He gave Ulysses an understanding look then turned back to Ann.

"Though it isn't the reason I wanted Ulysses, it was an added bonus that spiced up our romance." Jaren couldn't help but chuckle. "My beloved is a very rare hermaphrodite who can breed. So if fate favors us, we will be blessed soon enough with my future heir." He said taking his mate's paw and squeezing it gently.

She crowed to herself in triumph, she had been right in her assumption. "Well that is good news and another shocking surprise for high society. I don't envy you the outcry you're going to have to put with for this but, I personally, am happy for you both. True love is hard to come by and when you are able to find it you grab it with both paws and hold on to it for dear life. I envy you for it." Ann said genuinely smiling warmly at the two of them.

"Why thank you Ann. We appreciate the sentiment. I waited years to be happy and believe me, I have definitely grabbed it with both paws and didn't let it get away from me this time." Jaren said smiling broadly then leaning close to Ulysses, who was too choked up to express a word, kissed him on the mouth briefly but firmly.

While this was going on, Mayor Manx had been growing more and more uncomfortable. Now that the true state of affairs was out he had to switch gears mentally. Feral was now mated to the most powerful Kat in Megakat City. Loathe as he was to admit it, he had never treated Feral very well but now he would have to watch what he said and how he treated him from now on. His political career depended upon it.

He took a big gulp of his wine for courage. "May I also add my congratulations to you both!" He said with an uncomfortable smile.

"Thank you, Mayor Manx. Oh! I believe Ms. Briggs has found your Mr. Thorson." Jaren said as he spotted Callie coming toward them with a brown striped tabby wearing an expensive linen suit of dark blue.

Seeing them arrive, Ann quickly and politely vacated her seat. Feral reached behind him for another chair for the stranger and moved his own chair closer to Jaren's. Callie sat next to Feral again while Thorson sat next to the Mayor. Manx made introductions then very quickly they got down to business.

Feral looked around the room since the conversation was of no interest to him and caught Callie staring at him obviously not listening to the business conversation near her either.

He leaned close, "Something on your mind, Ms. Briggs?" He asked quietly.

She blushed at where her thoughts had been. She had been picturing the pair again at the hot tub. That image was going to stay with her for some time. "Oh...ah...not really Commander. I suspect I missed something. Ann Gora left the table when I arrived so I'm assuming she got what she was after and perhaps you could clue me in on what happened?" She asked him.

With a lazy smile, Feral said, "Jaren simply announced our official mated status and that I am capable of breeding an heir. That was the gist of it in a nutshell."

"Ohh..." She couldn't help blushing again. "Ahh...well let me offer my congratulations as well, Commander. You and he look very happy. I must say that I'm truly glad for you. You've always seemed rather alone and unhappy since I've known you." She offered quietly.

"Yes, I was but never realized it until that little side trip I made to another dimension. That truly opened my eyes and made me realize I was letting a chance to be happy pass me by. I've now corrected that oversight." He said quietly with a look of contentment. He'd had to tell Briggs about that trip because of the alarm at the Nuclear Power Plant but she agreed to keep it secret and never informed the Mayor about it.

"Not many Kats are lucky enough to get a second chance, Commander. So glad you were given that opportunity." Callie said warmly. Feral returned the smile with an equally warm one of his own.

Dimension One...

While Razor worked out a defense plan with Professor Hackle, T-Bone had other worries to occupy his time.

It was a big concern that Dark Kat had some major offensive planned for the city but, unfortunately, it took a backseat to T-Bone's current worry. Ulysses was having difficulties with this pregnancy. Medi was concerned about Feral's rising blood pressure. He was using medications to try and keep it lowered but as of today, it was no longer being affective.

Now they were in the medical suite at their hangar while Medi ran some tests on the foetus and rechecked Uly's blood pressure. Uly was exhausted and was grateful to be off his feet. He'd never been soo wiped out before and he wasn't really feeling so good either.

"I must tell you these readings I'm getting don't bode well for your pregnancy. Much as I do not want to make this choice, I may have to do a caesarean very soon. The kitten's readings are holding steady but Commander Feral's are failing and I cannot find the cause." Medi told them unhappily.

Scared witless, T-Bone said, "If you delivered it now would it survive? It's soo early!"

"It has an eighty percent chance of surviving with immediate and continual care." Medi told him bluntly. "Commander Feral's chances of survival is at seventy percent and declining the longer the pregnancy continues."

T-Bone's jaw dropped in horror. Feral's face paled and he looked like he was going to faint. The tabby clasped one of his mate's paws in his own tightly. "I can't lose you, please Uly let Medi do the surgery now while your chances are still good. The kitten has a chance though not as good as if it could stay within you but I'm not losing you." He told his mate pleadingly.

Closing his eyes, Feral was afraid. He didn't want to lose his kitten not after carrying it so long but he also didn't want to die and leave little Zira alone and the love he'd found with Chance. Swallowing hard, he opened his eyes and looked at Medi.

"Do it!" He said harshly. "I need to live...for both of them!"

"As you wish, sir. I need to prepare things so I need you to try and get as much rest as you can. I'm going to administer fluids to help build up your strength." Medi said quietly and went about its business preparing for the surgery to come.

T-Bone leaned over his mate and rubbed his face trying to find comfort for both of them. "I am soo afraid babe...for both of you!" He whispered in anguish.

"So am I." Ulysses said thickly, fear closing his throat. "You need to go get the kitten's things and Zira with Clara then contact your partner and Felina. They should be here. I'll try and get some rest. Go love!" He urged his mate.

T-Bone kissed his mate holding back his tears until he could be alone. He quickly left the base. Tears of worry and fear coursed down his face as he piloted the Turbokat by instinct alone. He went to retrieve Felina first.

He was fortunate to reach her on her cell phone. After explaining the urgency, she told him to pick her up on the Enforcer flight line. Withing five minutes he was lowering the ramp and Felina boarded quickly. He lifted and headed for home. Landing, he and Felina went to retrieve Clara and Zira. Before leaving again, he used their private line to Hackle's place to call Razor.

In the lab the phone rang stridently jarring the two inventor's concentration. Hackle hobbled over to the phone.

"Professor Hackle." He answered

"Professor, T-Bone! I need Razor asap." T-Bone said quickly.

"Razor, it's T-Bone. He says its urgent." Hackle said holding out the phone to Razor.

He got up quickly and took the phone from the Professor. "What's wrong buddy?" He asked in concern.

"It's Uly. His health is declining and Medi says for him to survive the kitten must be delivered now." T-Bone said hurriedly.

"Oh God! T-Bone I'm soo sorry. What do you want me to do?" Razor said anxiously.

"Uly wanted everyone there so I'm here at my house picking up Zira and Clara. I've already picked up Felina. Rush here fast and we'll get back to the base. Hurry!" T-Bone said worry thickening his voice.

"On my way!" Razor said hanging up the phone. "Professor, it's Feral. He's in trouble with the kitten. Medi's doing a c-section. He wants me to be there."

"Oh my that's terrible! Wait! Take me as well! I have some medical skills and I might be of help." The Professor said quickly.

"Oh yes! Good idea! Let's go!" Razor said in relief. Very quickly Razor helped the Professor get on his bike and they were speeding up the road to T-Bone's home.

It only took them ten minutes for Razor to reach the house then ride past to the landing field. T-Bone had the ramp still lowered and he drove his bike up inside. He helped the Professor climb off and get into a seat. He gave Zira a quick tussle of her hair and a nod at Felina before climbing up into his seat above them.

Zira squealed as the jet launched quickly into the air. She always enjoyed this part. Felina and the Professor smiled wanly at her cheerfulness then traded concerned looks between them.

Fifteen minutes later they were off loading in their hangar. T-Bone and Razor didn't bother to blindfold their guests simply hustled them quickly across the hangar floor to the elevator and to the medical floor. Zira dashed into the medical suite at the sight of her mom.

"Mommy, mommy!" She cried feeling afraid though she wasn't sure why.

"It's okay honey!" Feral said softly reaching his arms out. T-Bone lifted his daughter up to her mother's arms. "I'm afraid your little sibling will have to come early. That's why mommy is here. Don't worry, I just wanted you to be here too. You are going to go play in daddy's room until he tells you your little brother or sister is here, okay?" Feral said gently.

"Okay mommy! You be okay okay?" Zira said carefully, her little face scrunched up with a serious expression.

"Okay. I promise." Feral murmured getting tireder. T-Bone could see that it was becoming harder for Uly to stay awake.

"Okay, squirt, off you go, daddy see you later!" He told Zira as he lifted her off her mother's bed and gave her a tight hug before handing her over to Clara who took her quickly away.

Once the kitten was out everyone's face turned grim and worried. Medi had returned to the room and was wheeling an isolette for the premie kitten. "Alright we need to prep the area and get the Commander ready for surgery. Good to see you here Professor. I was concerned about doing this alone."

"I'm glad to be of assistance, Medi." Hackle said quietly. "Please brief me as we prep."

"Of course sir. The rest of you must go into the observation room please." Medi ordered as he busied himself.

Felina, T-Bone and Razor moved into the small observation room as the Professor and Medi sealed the room and sterilized it with special rays. They gently stripped Feral of his clothes and covered him with surgical drapes. Medi gave Feral a saddle block anesthetic. He had modified it so that it would work on Feral's unique physiology.

He would be awake for the procedure and the kitten would not be adversely affected by it. Medi would be the one conducting the actual surgery while the Professor would back up the medical scanners monitoring Feral's condition during the operation. Medi placed an oxygen mask on Feral's face to ease him as he was having some difficulties breathing.

Some fifteen minutes later they were ready. Medi made the first incision and proceeded carefully and quickly. He reached the uterus without any difficulties and Feral was continuing to hold his own. He cut the bulging sack and out gushed fluids and blood that Medi quickly used a suction tube extended from his robotic body to whisk it away until he could see the kitten laying nestled in its mother's body. Lifting it out gently, he suction its mouth and nose, cut it's umbilical cord then handed it to the Professor. Hackle turned to the table beside the bed that had a warming light, cleaning basin and other implements right near by.

While Hackle cared for the kitten that hadn't cried yet, Medi removed the afterbirth and suctioned the uterus. Suddenly bleeding began to increase in the cavity. As fast as Medi suctioned it kept filling up. Because he was a robot, he didn't panic but he was very concerned. If he didn't stop this bleeding Feral would simply bleed to death.

Searching quickly with his special eyes he finally found the problem. The placenta had torn a small hole in the uterine wall, using a surgical laser he cauterized the wound. As suddenly as it had started it stopped. Relieved, Medi finished the cleanup then sealed the incisions up. He reached for the plasma he had waiting just in case and began infusing it into Feral's body to help recoup what he'd lost.

Feral felt strange when Medi began working in his belly. It felt like he was pulling his shoulders down from the inside. His breathing picked up when he felt strangely cold and everything began to blur and slow. It felt like he was under water. Gradually though, sound began to filter back in and he heard a loud cry heralding his newborn's living existence. He sighed in relief. He still felt a bit floaty but he was getting warmer and it seemed everything was going to be okay as he listened to his kitten's cry.

When his mate began to bleed profusely, T-Bone had cried out in fear. Both Razor and Felina had to restrain him from trying to get into the room. It had been a terrible moment until Medi had stopped the bleeding. The next problem to catch their attention was the lack of sound where the kitten was. They couldn't see it for the Professor blocking the view. He seemed to be working frantically.

Professor Hackle wished not for the first time, that he was a specialist in newborns. The kitten was so very tiny. He suctioned more fluids out and then applied oxygen. The newborn was a dusky blue. He gently massaged the little body over and over again, praying for a miracle.

He couldn't bring himself to stop even though time was passing without a response then when he felt despair starting to close in on him a faint cry reached his ears. He continued his efforts and he was rewarded with a stronger cry and the kitten's color began to take on a healthy pink under its dark fur. He sighed with relief.

T-Bone felt tears of relief course down his face as he slumped emotionally exhausted against the glass. His kitten and his mate were going to make it. He wouldn't allow himself to think otherwise.