RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


His conversation with Ms. Briggs had helped a little to ease some of his grief, enough to allow him to finally let go and let sleep drag him under.

"My beauty, you are mine now. Let me show you what it means to belong to a Kamau." A powerful voice whispered into his dreams. Once more he felt the weight of the tiger's body over his, remembered the helpless feeling as he struggled violently to prevent what was going to happen. A scream clawed its way from his throat and the presence of the tiger blew away with the remnants of his nightmare.

He struggled from the bed and fled to the bathroom. He barely made it to the toilet where he heaved repeatedly. Panting, his throat burning, his stomach in knots he slid away from the bowl and pressed his back to the wall. Tears of anguish and grief began slowly running down his face.

He felt as if he were at the edge of a precipice. He didn't know how long he remained on the floor but finally, he dragged himself to his feet. Leaning heavily on the sink he washed his face and rinsed his mouth out. Back in his bedroom he stared at the bed and shuddered. Just the sight of it made his stomach tighten even more.

He forced his tired body out into his living area and dropped into an easy chair. He noted it was only eleven o'clock. He'd been asleep about five hours. He stared blankly around him unable to focus on anything. Leaning back into the chair, he stared emptily at the ceiling. He never knew when conscious left him until he woke stiff and aching much later.

Dust was falling outside by the way the sun was pouring dimly across his face and still he didn't move. It was full dark when his bladder made its demands known. Groaning he pushed himself to his feet and staggered unsteadily toward his bedroom again. Once in the bathroom, he emptied his aching bladder then turned on the shower. When it was hot, he stepped in and moaned with relief as the steaming water eased his stiffness. A moment later he hissed as the hot water stung the open holes in his nipples. He remembered unwillingly the small bottle the female collie had given him.

Leaving the shower after nearly a half hour soaking himself, he stood slumped shouldered in the dryer until his fur fluffed then moved jerkily to the bedroom. He pawed through his drawers and pulled on a pair of soft sleep pants and equally soft short sleeved shirt. He couldn't stand to be naked even though that had been his chosen method of sleep before all this happened.

The shirt rubbed his sore nipples drawing another hiss of discomfort from him. Leaning down he rummaged through the borrowed clothes he'd worn for the antiseptic. Using a handkerchief, he applied the meds. It had an anesthetic in it which eased the sting. Sighing he closed the bottle and placed it on his dresser. He kicked the clothes into a corner and made his way out to the kitchen.

As he crossed the living room he was startled by someone clearing their throat. He turned his head sharply and saw Ms. Briggs standing there uncomfortably.

She been soo worried about him all day. Unable to stay away, she'd coaxed Feral's building security guard to allow her into his apartment. She'd only told him that he'd suffered a traumatic event and that she was concerned for his welfare. He'd been reluctant but finally took her to Feral's apartment and unlocked it for her.

When she stepped in, she could hear the shower running. She nodded thanks to the guard and closed the door quietly in his face and relocked it. She heard him walk away. Sighing she went to the couch and sat to wait.

She stood as soon as he stepped through the door of the bedroom making a noise to get his attention. Her heart was in her throat and tears threatened when she beheld his sunken eyes, slumped shoulders, and lost expression. 'Oh this was much worse than she'd expected.' She moaned helplessly to herself.

Moving carefully forward, she reached out and touched his arm. "Ulysses, I'm sorry to barge in like this but I just couldn't shake the feeling that you might need someone." She said softly.

He turned away from her, unable to speak for a moment. "I...it's not been a good day and sleep hasn't helped, what little I got that wasn't broken by nightmares." He finally said hoarsely.

She squeezed his arm a little, "Have you eaten at all?" She asked hesitantly.

"No, not hungry...was just getting something for my throat...it's a little sore." He murmured heavily.

"You need some tea. Do you have some?" She said pushing him a little to continue on to the kitchen.

"I don't know...maybe." He whispered moving slowly.

In the kitchen, she pulled a chair out and made him sit. She quickly looked around the cupboards finding cups, a tea kettle and some herbal tea. She also found a can of chicken broth. He didn't make a sound as she puttered around his kitchen. The kettle whistled and she quickly poured it into a mug and placed it before him. The microwave dinged a moment later.

He hadn't moved to take the first mug when she placed the second one beside it. Taking a seat near him, she gently got his attention by touching his face. He'd been staring off into space, his face a blank. She was worried. He showed all the signs of emotional overload and shock.

"Ulysses, please, drink the tea. It will help a little." she urged gently bringing his paw up to it.

He blinked in confusion for a moment then snapped back into focus. He looked down at the mug and carefully brought it up to his mouth. He sighed a bit as the hot tea soothed his throat and eased his stomach some. He set it back down again and just stared at it. He couldn't seem to keep his attention focused for long.

Callie rubbed her forehead. It wasn't like him to give up this way. She knew he was in serious trouble and needed help now. She racked her brains for an answer and finally one came to her. She reached for her purse and pawed around for her address book. Getting up from the table she went out into the living area, using her cell phone she tapped in the number.

She prayed her acquaintance was home. A warm voice answered the phone to Callie's relief.

"Hello Sheila, this is Calico Briggs. I'm sorry to be calling so late but I need your help on a serious matter."

"You have me intrigued, Callie. Tell me what's the problem." Sheila said warmly.

Carefully, Callie told Sheila Norson what she could without telling her the name of the person she was describing.

"It's difficult to know for certain over the phone but you are right to be concerned. It sounds like this individual is disassociating from reality. The incident is just too much for him to bear right now. Even though he is a strong willed person and usually can handle most anything as you say from knowing his normal behavior, what's just happened to him has pushed him beyond that ability. It can be temporary with immediate treatment. His own resiliency should be able to aid him in coping and recovering his balance more quickly but not if he fails to receive care. He will continue to withdraw within his mind to escape what he presently conceives as a no win situation." She said seriously.

"Oh God! Sheila this is very bad. This individual is important to the city's welfare and to have him completely out of commission now is terrible plus, unfortunately, his problem will be coming back to collect on his agreement. We must get him taken care of now for all our sakes not just his." Callie said worriedly.

"Then I'll need to see him immediately, Callie. Can you get him to my clinic or will you need an ambulance?" Sheila asked preparing to leave.

Callie moved back to the kitchen and checked on Ulysses. He still sat staring at the cup and hadn't moved. "He seems more out of it than I thought. I'm afraid an ambulance will be necessary, but Sheila, security must be strict and the barest minimum of Kats can know about this. It's extremely important." Callie stressed.

"I understand. He's high profile. We know how to deal with that. I'll come along. Give me the address and we will be there within thirty minutes." Sheila said briskly, putting on her physician persona.

Callie quickly gave the address and hung up. She called downstairs to the security guard and warned him an ambulance was coming for Commander Feral, to be alert for it and guide them up. He voiced his concern and she reassured him that the Commander would be alright but that he did need to receive some medical care. He assured her he would try to maintain Feral's privacy. She thanked him and hung up.

Sighing, she thought a moment then went into his bedroom and looked for a robe. She found it hanging on the bathroom door. She carried it to the kitchen.

"Ulysses, let's put this on." She coaxed as she pushed one arm into a sleeve. He barely moved as she worked the robe onto his body.

He'd felt himself draw further and further away from everything around him since Callie's arrival. He could no longer feel her there. He should feel frightened by that but instead he felt oddly comforted. Nothing seemed to be able to reach him here and that felt safe. The world seemed distant and hazy like an out of focus camera. His body felt heavy and lethargic.

She took the cups and placed them in the sink then took a seat again and stared worriedly at him. He looked nothing more than a statue sitting there. It sent chills down her spine to see him like this. She truly hoped Sheila could help him.

Some twenty minutes later there was a sharp knock on the door. She jumped up and hurried to answer it. She was greeted by Sheila Norson, two orderlies with a gurney and the security guard. She quickly stepped out of the way.

"He's in the kitchen." She told them pointing the way.

The orderlies nodded and moved in that direction followed by Sheila and Callie with the security guard trailing behind in concern.

Sheila sucked in a breath when she saw who her patient was but maintained a professional attitude as she moved to his side and took his vitals.

"Commander, can you hear me?" She asked quietly. He didn't respond. He blinked slowly when she shone a small light in his eyes. Shaking her head, she placed her bag on the table and reached in for a small phial and syringe. She drew out a small amount of clear fluid. Pushing the robe off his shoulder she injected him.

"This should help him a little." She said quietly to Callie who hovered nearby. Turning to the orderlies she said, "Okay guys, let's gently get him onto the gurney. Might as well keep him in his upright position. He won't startle that way."

She stepped out of the way and the two orderlies carefully and gently pulled Feral from his chair and pushed his body to the gurney and then arranged his limbs comfortably on it. They covered him with a light blanket and shook out a sheet placing it on a chair for the moment then they strapped him to the gurney. Moving him out of the kitchen, Dr. Norson grabbed the sheet and followed. When they reached the hallway, they halted a moment and the sheet was gently draped over Feral's head hiding him. The security guard made sure to turn off the lights, checked that everything was secure then locked the Commander's apartment door. He squeezed into the elevator with the group. It was a silent ride down. The guard led the way and held open the outside door as Feral's gurney was rolled out. Fortunately, there was no one around as the silent group moved to the ambulance and Feral was loaded.

"I'll meet you at the clinic, Sheila." Callie said grimly. The doctor nodded and boarded the ambulance with her patient as Callie headed for her car.