RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


She felt drained and a new headache pounded when she entered her office later that morning. The scene at Enforcer Headquarters had been a nightmare. As she reached for her aspirin bottle, her mind went over her meeting with Feral's officers.

She'd gone there as promised first thing this morning before going to city hall. As she entered the main lobby and headed for the elevators she was hailed by a familiar voice. She halted and was soon joined by Lt. Feral.

"Ms Briggs, my uncle has returned." Felina said abruptly.

"Yes, I know, Lieutenant. He came to see me." Callie said quietly.

"He saw you? When?" Felina said surprised and unhappy.

"This morning. Early." She said quietly as she punched the button for the top floor.

"But...I'm the one who picked him up at the airport. He wouldn't talk to me and had me take him to his apartment." Felina said hurt and confused. She stepped into the elevator with Callie.

Sighing Callie looked at Feral's niece trying to decide how much to tell her without breaking her promise to Ulysses. "I'm sorry Felina but he just didn't feel comfortable enough to tell you what had happened to him. Please understand, I've promised not to say anything. He may still tell you eventually, but please, give him time. It was very traumatic and he's not handling it well." She said seriously.

"I knew something bad must have happened but it hurts that he couldn't tell me." Felina said unhappily as the elevator decanted them on the top floor. "But I'll not bother him about it. I'm just glad he's back. Why is he not here though?" She asked as they walked down the hall toward Feral's office.

"That's what I'd like to know!" Came a familiar and unwelcome voice.

Callie sighed inwardly. She really couldn't stand Feral's second in command. Putting on a bland face she turned to see the blond haired enforcer come up behind them, a deep frown on his arrogant face.

"I'll explain as best I can to all interested parties. Could you have them report to Commander Feral's office please?" She asked with just a hint of command to her request.

"I don't see the need for anyone else to be involved, Deputy Mayor so why don't we just go into the office and you tell me what's going on." Steele said pompously.

Frowning at him in irritation, she said "I promised Commander Feral I would brief his department heads. He did not mean just his second in command. Please do as I requested. I and Lieutenant Feral will be waiting in the Commander's Office." She snapped turning away from him and continuing on to Feral's office. Steele stood there a moment in angry shock before finally stomping off to do her bidding.

"Hello Ms. Briggs, can I help you?" Feral's secretary asked, surprised to see her.

"I'm having a short meeting with Feral's staff in his office per his request." Callie said. Seeing the surprised look on her face, she added, "Yes he's back but he is indisposed right now. Could you get me a coffee...sugar and cream...please?"

Blinking at Callie in shock for a moment, his secretary quickly regained her aplomb, "Certainly Ms. Briggs, right away. Do you wish anything, Lt Feral?" She asked rising from her desk.

"No, thanks." Felina said heading for her uncle's door and pushing it open for Callie.

Callie walked into the room and Felina followed closing the door behind her.

Callie sighed, she was glad Felina didn't badger her with questions. Both of them went to the wall of windows and looked out. The secretary arrived moments later and gave Callie her coffee. Officers began filing in a few at a time over the next fifteen minutes.

Finally Steele returned, "That's everyone Ms. Briggs." He said masking his annoyance at being a gofer.

Callie looked at the ten officers watching her intently, waiting to hear what she had to say.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice. I know all of you are concerned about Commander Feral. All I can tell you is that he was kidnaped and taken far away from Megakat City. Unfortunately, he never saw where he was. One, because he was unconscious when he was taken and two, because he was blindfolded and ear plugged when he was returned. Beyond that information, there is no more I'm allowed to tell you." Callie explained. She could tell by the expressions around her that no one was happy with that.

"But surely he saw his kidnaper at some point? Why was he released or did he escape?" Steele snapped in frustration.

"He did see the one who requested his kidnaping and the one who took him home. Unfortunately, what happened to him there was very upsetting and he is unwilling to speak of it at this time. He is physically and emotionally distraught and I ordered him to stay home and rest for today. If he wishes to tell you anymore then he will be the one to do so." Callie said carefully. "Now I've done what he asked of me so if' you'll excuse me I'm overdue at city hall. . Good day." She said firmly. Nodding at everyone, Callie took her leave under many annoyed eyes. She left the coffee cup with the secretary and headed for the elevators.

"Ms Briggs, wait." Lt. Feral's voice begged her as Callie stepped into the elevator.

Callie held the doors for her and Felina stepped in. She stared at Callie a moment before speaking.

"Callie, is he okay?" She asked softly, concern and fear on her face.

"Not really. I've never seen him so devastated and upset. If he doesn't see a professional then I've offered myself to be his listener. He's going to go through a bad time for a while, Felina. All you can do is give him your support as you always have." Callie said gently.

"I will. Thank you for being there for him. I'm surprised he came to you but I'm glad he went to someone he trusts when he couldn't speak to me." Felina sighed resignedly.

"You're welcome, Felina. Be seeing you around." Callie said in farewell as they exited the car. Felina went to work and Callie left through the main doors for her car.

Now back in her office she sat waiting for her aspirin to kick in before she had to inform his honor that Feral had returned.

Coming in late, as usual, Mayor Manx gave an airy good morning as he swept by her office and into his own. She had fixed him his favorite cup of tea and carried it in to him.

"Why thank you Callie." He said accepting the cup and taking a sip.

"Mayor Manx, I have some news for you this morning. Commander Feral has returned." She said.

"Feral's back? Well it's about tiime. Did he say where he's been?" Manx huffed. "Never mind! Have him come here and explain in person." He ordered.

"I can't do that Mayor. Just listen a moment." Callie said heading off another explosion from the portly Mayor. "Feral was kidnaped, treated horribly, then returned under less than happy circumstances. He's exhausted both physically and emotionally. I ordered him to get some rest. He spoke to me less than an hour after he was returned. He was soo distraught after telling me what happened, I told him I would brief his officers which I did a couple of hours ago. I've told you what I told them. I promised to say no more than that due to the sensitive nature of what Feral told me. It's not a good situation but it's up to him to tell anyone else and I will honor that promise." She told him firmly.

"I don't underrstand. What could possibly have happened to him that could be that bad?" Mayor Manx said frowning.

"Trust me Mayor Manx, it was truly awful and I've never seen Feral look the way he did." Callie said heavily.

"Alright, you know best, Callie. I'm not sure I want to know what happened now if it could shake Feral that badly. Just keep on top of it and only let me know what I have to, alright?" Manx said backing away from the issue altogether.

"Yes sir." Callie said sighing inwardly and wishing she didn't have to deal with it at all. She left his office and returned to her own and her desk full of work.