RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


She looked at the clock on the wall distractedly as she continued to gently knead Ulysses' tense back muscles.

"I...I should be going home, I have to report in just a few hours." He said thickly breaking the long silence between them.

"What are you going to tell your enforcers?" She asked softly moving away and sitting back down again.

He looked at her helplessly. "I don't really know. I have nothing to go on. How long was I really gone?" He asked.

She calculated in her mind before sighing, "It's been almost eighteen days!"

He winced and shuddered. "Kat's Alive! That long?"... I guess I can report that I was kidnaped but not by whom, why, or where I was held. The rest...I just don't know. I really don't want word to get out that I was raped because there is no way to arrest Shakil. Especially if they are as powerful as you say. Besides, even though Megakat City has laws against slavery and rape, doesn't mean the country I had been taken to has the same laws. It is still allowed in many places." He said in frustration.

"I'm afraid you are right about that, Ulysses." She sighed rubbing her temples. "The Kamaus are that powerful and none of the charges would stick. So you're left with no way to get justice. I'm truly sorry."

"I know!" He said bitterly. "I think the only thing I'm truly concerned about is how do I reconcile having to accept the agreement I made to be Shakil's mate. I never planned on becoming pregnant. Having a wife and getting her that way was something I hoped for but now all of that is ruined. And what of the fate of the kittens that I bear? Will I be forced to watch them be taken from me?" He asked in anguish.

Callie swallowed tears of sorrow for Ulysses. This was more than one Kat should have to bear.

"You could tell him that the agreement is null and void because it had been made under coercion?" She said hesitantly.

"I could and it would be legal but you and I both know that that won't matter to Shakil and besides I never renege on an agreement. I still have my honor, such as it is." He sighed in defeat. He was neatly boxed into a corner with no escape clause.

"Then you must somehow try to accept what you can't change. I would, however, get in writing some kind of agreement as to what will happen to your kittens. Who will raise them and where. Those things that are important to you get into a legal document and I will stand by you in enforcing it." Callie said firmly.

"I...I guess you're right and thank you for your support." He said unhappily. He dropped his head into his paws again and said painfully, "It feels like an arranged marriage by ones parents to a stranger with no choice in the matter."

"An unfortunate and accurate analogy Ulysses." She sighed unhappily. "I would strongly urge you to get counseling. You are going to need it badly to handle what's happened and how to accept what will be happening to you in the future." She urged him.

Rubbing his temples, he gave a sad sigh. He pushed the chair back and got to his feet. Callie did as well and moved closer to him. She gently touched his arm.

"If it gets too much to bear, you can come to me and vent. It will be just between the two of us. No one will ever know about this." She promised quietly.

"Thank you Callie. I know we've had our differences but I knew you would be able to understand and help me." He said softly, his face filled with quiet loss and pain.

"I wish there were more I could do besides offer moral support. I'm glad you trust me enough to help you the best I can. You don't need to be so macho that you ignore the fact that you're both physically and emotionally exhausted and truly need your rest. It would be best if you didn't go in at all today. If you want me to, I can go in and tell them of the kidnaping. That will at least keep them from trying to get to you before you have had time to get your feet under you again." She suggested carefully.

He looked at her a moment seemingly lost then shook himself. "Perhaps you're right. I feel totally overwhelmed right now. It's only been hours since it happened and I feel shaky and depressed at the moment and that's so strange for me." He admitted.

The fact that he admitted that much to her, told her his true state of mind and was glad he wouldn't try to face anyone at work right now. It would have been disastrous she was certain.

"Then go home and try to get some rest. I could give you a sleeping pill so that you won't be plagued by nightmares. Those, I'm sorry to say are going to happen that's why I urge you to get counseling. Rape is a terrible thing and the emotional damage caused by it just doesn't disappear no matter how hard you try to push it away." She repeated more concerned than ever that he would be haunted by this for some time without help.

"I know. I just don't know if I can trust someone enough to talk about it besides you." He said tightly. "Thank you for the offer of a pill but I don't do well with those."

Sighing in frustration, she made a different offer. "Well, then maybe you should just come to me on a regular basis and talk about it. I'll get some advice from some friends of mine in the business without going into detail and try my best to give you some kind of help. I fear for your emotional well being if you don't address this at all." She said firmly.

He blinked at her in shock. That she would offer to be a surrogate counselor for him was more than he intended for her to do but it was obvious she was very concerned for him. He needed to think about this before making any more commitments. The last one was already going to be hard to accept as it was.

"Let me think about your generous offer, Callie. I'm still to shaken to agree to anything right now." He pleaded softly.

"Of course. I just wanted you to know the offer was there when or if you need it." She smiled sadly. "Go get some rest." She ordered as she walked with him to her front door.

"I'll try, thank you again. Sorry to have awakened you soo early." He said contritely.

"Don't worry about that. You truly had a very good reason. I'll see you soon." Callie said warmly.

He gave a small smile then made his way to the elevator. She sighed and closed her door. She had a headache now and by the clock, she only had a couple of hours before she had to get ready for work. She headed to her kitchen for some aspirin and water. This would not be a good day.