RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


His mouth felt like cotton and everything ached especially his back. He moaned and tried to change position but hissed when pain shot through him.

"Easy my love, you mustn't move too much. Here let me raise the bed just a little. Let me know if it causes you too much discomfort." Came the smooth tones of his mate.

He felt himself rise slowly, he hissed again when he reached a certain point. It eased immediately when Shakil relowered the bed a little. He felt a straw being pressed against his mouth and he immediately sucked at it. 'Oh water never tasted this sweet.' He sighed. His eyes felt gummed together so it took a couple of tries and an attempt to wipe at them before he felt a warm, wet cloth being used on his face.

He finally could open his eyes and saw Shakil leaning over him anxiously. "Shakil" He whispered huskily.

The tiger smiled in relief. "Thank god you're getting better, Ulysses. I've been beside myself with worry since my arrival. It's mid afternoon of the next day by the way. You've been sleeping for a long time. You woke briefly a couple of times but you weren't really aware. I'm sure you don't even remember." Shakil rambled on uncharacteristically.

Uly realized just from that, how upset and afraid his mate had been. Though his limbs still felt like lead he reached slowly and touched his mate's paw. "S'lright" He breathed softly. "They didn't succeed...again. Sooo tired of them trying so often, though." He panted heavily.

"Please love, don't talk too much. It's tiring you. Yes I quite agree, I'm fed up with the constant attempts on your life. I'm staying right here until you are better." Shakil said firmly.

"Your father..." Uly said questioningly.

"He can shove it!" The tiger snarled angrily. "It's because of the clan that you are in so much danger and I cannot be considered your protector if I am not at your side protecting you. How do they expect me to pass my rite of passage if I'm failing to defend my mate. They will just have to try and drag me away because that is the only way I'm leaving your side." He said with finality.

"Good!" Uly said pleased. He was never happy that his mate was constantly away from him. He could never really let his guard down.

The Kamau Enclave...

"You failed!" The old tiger roared throwing a paperweight at his nephew who ducked. He cowered to the floor trying to avoid any further chances of injury from his irate Uncle while trying to explain the failure of the attack on Feral.

"He was stabbed in the back but again those damn SWAT Kats and his enforcers prevented a repeat blow to insure the kitten would be damaged." The crimson tiger explained.

"I'm tired of your excuses! It's time I took matters into my own paws and showed you youngsters how its done." He snapped furiously seating himself again.

"But Uncle, you could be exposed..." His nephew tried to say.

"Nonsense!" The old tiger snapped. "I was very good at these sorts of things when I was your age. My age does not prevent me from using that skill again. We will have to wait for the right moment again. I chaff at the time that gives that Kat to carry that abomination but there is no choice. Shakil and those defenders are on too high an alert right now. Go! Keep me appraised of that Kat's every move and report to me regularly." He ordered his nephew then turned his chair to face the gardens and fumed.

His nephew quickly scuttled out of the room. He was humiliated and furious with his uncle. That old tiger just didn't realize what he was up against. If any city was said to be jinxed it was Megakat City. He was beginning to believe the half-tiger's assertion that Feral led a charmed life. That was the only reason to explain his constant ability to defy the odds in that accursed city.

Two weeks later...

He felt like he was some countries important leader the way he was literally surrounded by security when he was released from the hospital. Even the SWAT Kats were keeping an eye high above them. All he could do was shake his head in disbelief. It seemed strange to think that he was that well thought of that so many wanted to protect him.

He climbed into the specially reinforced limo with Shakil and Felina at his side. They were headed for Enforcer Headquarters. Shakil was willing to forego his luxuries to keep his mate safe though he did request a few modifications to Uly's formerly small quarters. The tiger, of course, footed the bill so that the city wouldn't have to cough it up.

Shakil had one arm around his shoulders holding him close. He was a bit clingy but Uly couldn't be upset with him. He had received a terrible scare, both of them had, and a little over possessiveness was to be expected.

Ulysses sighed and leaned against the tiger's body. Despite resting for two weeks, he still tired easily. The doctor told him it was the pregnancy as well as his injuries and that he would have to take many naps until he was fully healed. Nothing would speed it along faster.

They arrived at Enforcer Headquarters and was greeted by a cordon of enforcers leading from the car to the entrance. Feral sighed in aggravation. There were better uses for his enforcers than guarding him but held his piece. It would do him no good anyway. He moved slowly up the stairs and through the main doors. At least here the business of law enforcement was being conducted as usual. A few officers saluted and there were many calls of welcome from others as he made his way to the elevators.

He wanted to go to his office but Shakil pressed the button for quarters, he sighed again. Shakil looked at him sympathetically but was unyielding about where he wanted his mate to be right now. Grumbling softly, Feral walked down the hall to his, now shared, quarters. Shakil unlocked the door and Feral stepped into a surprise.

Enforcer quarters were spartan at best. The officers decorated them with homey touches but it didn't alter the utilitarian look of them. Shakil had contractors alter their quarters to look like a five star hotel. The walls were painted in earth tones and had various expensive paintings on them. The furniture was expensive and comfortable. An up-to-date electronics setup was in the entertainment cabinet. Wandering into the bedroom, which had originally been another apartment, was a larger than kingsize bed and other richly appointed furniture.

He sat down on the bed in bewilderment. Shakil sat next to him and placed an arm around his waist and nuzzled his neck.

"Does it meet your approval, love," He murmured.

"It a little over done, don't you think? This is supposed to be a barrack not a hotel." Feral muttered a bit put out.

"Considering you must reside here for some time to come, I didn't think there was any reason to be uncomfortable or cramped. I think the interior designer did a wonderful job sprucing these quarters to be more liveable." Shakil said coaxingly.

"I suppose so!"His mate sighed.

"Here, if you wish to go to your office today, then I insist that you nap a little right now," the tiger said pulling his mate's coat off then his boots. He pulled his mate carefully onto the bed more fully and laid a light blanket over him. "I promise to wake you in an hour or so." He murmured leaning down to kiss Feral's cheek then left the room after closing the curtains.

In the dim room, Feral sighed yet again. He had been doing that a lot lately, especially now that he was pregnant. Even if he wanted to object, his body had other ideas and very soon, he was sound asleep.

In a different country...

An old tiger sat in a darkened corner of a small elite restaurant waiting. He had a bottle of high quality, expensive wine before him. He griped the base of his filled wine glass and his forbidding expression insured he would not be disturbed unless he signaled otherwise.

It was some ten minutes later when a tall, willowy female came in. She wore a business suit of deep blue and over that an overcoat of black leather. Her boots were thigh high and clicked authoritatively as she strode across the floor toward his table. Her cold blue eyes focused on the old tiger as she approached the tiger.

"You are Blackfire?" She asked flatly in a low accented voice.

"Yes and you are Turmoil?" He questioned back.

She nodded and sat down in a chair opposite him but with her back facing a wall. Her avenue of escape unimpeded.

"Would you care for some wine? It's a very good vintage." He offered.

She nodded sharply, her eyes looking him over as she reached for her now filled glass.

"You wanted to speak with me. Why?" She asked getting straight to the point.

"I have a proposition for you. A certain prominent person in Megakat City is a serious slap to my clan. I don't want this person dead but I do want what he carries destroyed. If he dies in the process..." He shrugged his shoulders eloquently , "...well those things happen. He is a thorn in your side as well...or at least one of them. I'm willing to make it worth your while. Money is no problem. I have many connections that can get you back in the air and with a force to be reckoned with." He said watching her reaction closely.

Turmoil's eyes narrowed as she considered the tiger's offer.

"Who's the target?" She asked bluntly.

"Feral!" He spat distastefully.

"The female or male?"

"Male."

"You said you wanted what he carries killed but not him. What do you mean?" She asked sipping her wine and looking puzzled.

"He is an hermaphrodite and is five months pregnant." He said flatly drinking more of his wine.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. "Well, that is certainly news to me!" She said shocked.

"Are you interested?" He asked impatiently.

"What are you offering?"

He named a figure. She sucked in her breath and went still. She looked at him hard. It was apparent that this old tiger had it in for Feral to be willing to put out that kind of money.

"How soon do you want this done?" She asked already planning how she would accomplish it.

"Within a week!"

She jerked her head up and back. "No way! I wouldn't have time to gather some troops and equipment to do the job." She protested.

"Not a problem!" He cut her off. "I can provide you a small force right now. All you have to do is be a very big distraction. I have another person in mind to further cause havoc in Enforcer Headquarters where Feral is under near constant guard." He explained. "My own people are going to be the ones to do the actual deed not you."

"Aah! I see!"

"Interested?" He demanded again.

She smiled ferally, "Yes."

He nodded pleased, "I will send you the particulars by late tonight. Will you be at the number you gave me?" He asked.

"Yes. I'll be standing by. It is a pleasure doing business with you." She said simply then rose to her feet and took her leave.

He stayed some fifteen minutes longer before finally leaving himself. He had someone else to see tonight.

Enforcer Headquarters...evening...

He could barely stand on his feet, even though he had only worked a few hours, he was completely wiped.

He stepped into his quarters, Felina, who had been his guard, bid him a quiet good night and a promise to collect him in the morning. He nodded at her warmly then closed the door.

From what used to be a bedroom, he heard his mate speaking on the phone. Shakil had turned the small room into his office.

He went to the open door way and leaned against it. His mate looked up and saw him. He continued to talk as he got up from his seat and went to Ulysses' side and pulled him against his chest in a gentle, supportive hug.

Feral sighed and leaned against his mate's willing body. It felt strange to feel so comfortable in this tiger's arms now considering how their relationship had begun.

He liked the feel of being protected and comforted when he needed it. Shakil hung up the phone and tossed the phone onto his desk. He turned his face to his mate and gave him a warm kiss.

"You are very tired, my beauty. Have you eaten?" He asked softly as he guided his exhausted love to their bedroom.

"No, no yet. I can't believe how tired I am." He complained not caring that it sounded like whining.

"Then I must rectify that oversight immediately. But first let's get you into a shower. I wish you could soak in a tub, but, alas, that is forbidden to you right now." Shakil said regretfully as he helped his mate to sit on the bed.

"You start undressing and I'll start the shower." He told his mate.

When he returned, Uly had removed his uniform shirt and pulled off the t-shirt he wore underneath. He moved stiffly, a waterproof bandage was spread across his wound on his lower back. Shakil helped him remove his boots and pants. Helping him to his feet he pulled Uly's underwear down and off.

The tiger wrapped his arm around his mate's waist, careful of his sore back and helped him into the shower. He stripped his own clothes off and stepped in. He gently washed Uly making his mate hold the wall for support as he quickly shampooed him. Rinsing him off, he reached past his mate to turn off the water then aided Uly to the dryers.

Dry, he put light sleep wear on Uly and sleep pants on himself and a robe. He tucked Ulysses into bed, propped by a mound of pillows. He gave the brown tom the remote so that he could watch TV while the tiger made dinner.

Shakil had already preordered a meal and it was in the oven staying warm. He quickly served up the food and poured a couple of glasses of milk and placed it all on a tray. He carried it to the bedroom. His mate was nearly asleep when he placed the tray on the bed.

"Here you go love. I know you're tired but you need to eat first." Shakil coaxed.

"It smells good and I am hungry." Ulysses sighed softly quickly tucking into his food.

It didn't take long to finish. Shakil took away the tray and set it down. He reached over and helped his mate get settled, placing pillows in strategic places. After putting away their dishes and tidying up, he went back to finish up some last minute work before finally crawling into bed and spooning his mate from behind.