RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Megakat City, midafternoon...

Though she had slept six hours straight, Felina still felt groggy. She woke up more fully after a hot shower and a cup of coffee. Checking the time, she quickly left for City Hall. As she'd hoped, Deputy Mayor Calico Briggs was having her lunch at her desk while going through her mail. Her secretary was gone to lunch, so Felina was able to slip in and quietly knock on the door frame of Callie's office.

The Deputy Mayor looked up in surprise to see Lt Feral at her door in civilian clothes. "Lt Feral what brings you here?"

Felina stepped in the office and closed the door behind her. Walking up to Callie's desk, she took a seat in one of the comfortable chairs in front of the oak desk. "I doubt Lt Commander Steele saw fit to inform you that my uncle and his chopper disappeared last night as he was returning to Enforcer Headquarters?" She asked and wasn't surprised to see the shocked look on Callie's face at the news.

"What? Commander Feral is missing? What's being done to find him?" Callie asked very upset.

"Steele has made a search of the surrounding area where my uncle was last seen but there are no clues as to what happened to him. When I went off shift this morning, I called Shere Khan to tell him of his mate's disappearance. I was surprised to find out Khan already knew about it because he had received a ransom note from the kidnappers. It turns out, an air pirate by the name of Don Karnage had snuck into Megakat City and caught my uncle in some kind of giant air ship that literally swallowed my uncle's chopper inside. Khan says that my uncle is being held at a hidden base in the south pacific." Felina explained.

"If Khan knows what's happened to Feral what's he doing about it?" Callie asked finding the whole story fantastic.

"That's the part I don't like. Khan knows a pilot who had a run in with this pirate before and knows where this secret base is. He plans to lure the pirate out of his nest by dangling a chance for riches in his face. This pirate is known for attacking and stealing valuable cargo from the seaplanes that are the main transport system around the south pacific. Anyway, Khan intends to let it be known that he is transporting a large sum of money to another island in hopes of drawing the pirate out so that he, this pilot and one other person will be able to slip into the base when it is lightly manned and rescue my uncle. There is apparently a back entrance loaded with traps that they intend to use to get into the base." Felina's voice showed how much she disapproved of this plan.

"It does sound a bit suicidal but Khan is there and is more familiar with this pirate than we are so it makes sense he might think this is the best plan." Callie said democratically.

"That's pretty much what he said as well but Callie I can't sit here not doing anything. I've taken a few days off and I have a favor to ask of you." Felina said earnestly.

"Well, I'll have to hear it first before I grant it but Felina, what do you think you can do? After all, you aren't familiar with Cape Suzette?" Callie tried to enter a note of caution.

"I just feel I should be able to help rescue my uncle. All I want you to do for me is contact the SWAT Kats." Felina requested knowing Callie wasn't going to like it.

"The SWAT Kats! But Felina I can't ask the SWAT Kats to go to a city they don't know. They might get into trouble with the police just by being there." Callie objected.

"Please, Callie. We will keep a low profile and I'm sure Khan will smooth over any problems that may occur, if it gets him the extra help he's going to need to succeed in this wild plan of his." Felina begged.

Sighing, Callie stared at Felina for a moment and finally came to a decision. "Okay, I'll call them but it will be their decision to do this. I won't ask it of them."

"That's all I want, Callie, is the chance to ask. Can you do it now? I've lost enough time already." Felina urged. "Oh, and don't tell them anything over the radio someone might be listening in."

Sighing again, Callie reached for her purse and searching around a minute she found the tiny transmitter. Clicking it on she waited to hear one of the SWAT Kats answer.

"Razor here Ms Briggs. What's the problem?" Came Razor's gruff voice through the tiny speaker.

"Hi Razor. I don't have a problem, thankfully. However, Lt Feral needs to speak to you guys but not over the radio. Can you come here to my office, please? She's sitting here with me." Callie asked.

"Uh...just a second!" Razor apparently was shouting to T-Bone somewhere in the hangar. He was back a moment later, "Yeah no problem, Ms. Briggs. We will be there in a few minutes." He clicked off.

Callie returned to her mail while she and Felina chatted. Not long after the SWAT Kats came walking into her office. Both toms listened patiently while Felina brought them up to date on her uncle's disappearance.

Rubbing his chin, T-Bone tried to find a polite way of telling Felina they didn't want to go to this unknown city to rescue someone who didn't like them. But then Felina dropped a last bit of information on them.

"Another reason for the urgency to rescue my uncle is what he found out two days ago. He doesn't want anyone to really know about this so please don't repeat it. My uncle is eight weeks pregnant." Felina said worriedly

"Pregnant?" both SWAT Kats and Ms Briggs said in unison.

"I would never have guessed Feral was a hermaphrodite. Crud, now that kinda changes things a bit." T-Bone said reluctantly. Razor nodded in agreement. Sighing he glanced at his partner to see what he wanted to do. Razor shrugged helplessly.

"I suppose we have to do something, T-Bone, though I don't like the idea of being so far away from Megakat City if there were an emergency especially since the Chief Enforcer isn't here too." Razor cautioned.

"Yes, that's what I don't like about the idea either guys, but you might be the edge Khan needs to be able to make his plan work." Callie said reluctantly.

"Hmm...well yeah, I guess you're right. I just hope Dark Kat doesn't take it into his head to appear right now or any of the other pains in the tails." T-Bone sighed.

"So do I guys. Maybe you should get going soon then you will be back that much sooner." Callie suggested.

"Yeah, okay but first we have to load up with fuel and more munitions. How about we pick you up here in say about an hour Lt.?" T-Bone said turning to Felina as the pair prepared to take their leave.

"Sounds perfect. I'll be ready." Felina nodded briskly and left quickly for her apartment.

"Good luck everyone and get back here safely." Callie called to their departing backs.

An hour later, the Turbokat was winging its way across the ocean toward the distant city of Cape Suzette. Some five hours later they were within Cape Suzette's airspace and trying to determine how to enter the protected city. Placing the jet in VTOL mode, T-Bone waited for Felina to make contact with Shere Khan.

"Khan here" answered the tiger since it was late and all his workers were gone for the day. He had been clearing his desk trying to keep busy until the day after tomorrow when the bait would be taking to the air. He was too tense and restless to go home.

"Felina here, Mr. Khan. I am holding position in the SWAT Kats jet a few miles from the entrance to your city. Can you get us clearance for entry?" She asked briskly.

"I told you not to come here!" Khan said in shocked anger.

"Yeah, well, I told you I wanted in on this rescue scheme and here I am with super backup so are you going to let us in or let the pirates spot us here?" Felina threatened.

Hissing to himself, Khan knew he had no choice. "Just hold your position, I'll send a fleet of my fighters to meet you and lead you to a secure airfield for that jet. I will meet you there." Angrily Khan hung up the phone then dialed his operations center and sent a small squadron to escort his unwanted help to a guarded airfield. His next call was to his driver to have his car at the entrance then locked up his office and went down the elevator. Soon he was being driven quickly through the early evening traffic.

Khan's fighter squadron was suitably impressed by the unusual jet they were escorting. When they all landed, the SWAT Kats found themselves surrounded by a fascinated group of pilots asking many questions. They had never beheld a jet that could hover and resembled nothing they had ever seen before. Without giving away any trade secrets, they tried to satisfy their unexpected fan club. Felina could only smile in amusement as she watched from nearby.

A limo smoothly pulled along side the crowd and an angry tiger climbed out. "What is going on here?" He growled annoyed. At his voice, his pilots jumped and hastily hurried away leaving the four alone beside the Turbokat. Khan studied the unusual jet for a moment, his curiosity momentarily overcoming his anger.

"What an interesting craft. When there's time I would very much enjoy finding out more about it. For now, I am Shere Khan and you are...?" He asked the colorful pair of Kats.

"Pleased to meet you Mr. Khan. I'm T-Bone and this is my partner Razor were the SWAT Kats. Lt Feral asked us to come and give you a hand in rescuing Feral from some air pirates. I gotta tell you, we're not happy to be soo far from Megakat City leaving it undefended. I hope this caper is going down soon?" T-Bone rumbled.

Khan eyed the undeniably powerful pair and their jet and felt maybe they would really have a better chance to save Feral after all. Though he still wasn't happy by their appearance he wasn't going to turn down their help.

"I assure you I share your concern. The plan is set to take place day after tomorrow. I find it very difficult to just wait. Right now, I think it important that you meet the other members of this rescue attempt. If you will come with me, we will go meet them." Khan waved them toward his limo.

"Yeah that sounds like a very good idea. Let me just set the security on the jet first." Razor said as he turned and pointed a strange device on his wrist at the jet which immediately glowed with a faint sheen.

"Interesting. A shield of some kind?" Khan asked unable to curb his curiosity.

"Something like it." Razor smiled secretly as he climbed in after his partner and the others. Soon they were headed toward the bay. Khan called ahead to ensure Ms Cunningham and Baloo were home and was pleased to find they were all there. He asked if he could stop in to see them, that there was a slight change in plans that needed to be discussed. Ms Cunningham said to come ahead and he told her they would be there soon and hung up.

On their way to the harbor, the visitors admired this beautiful city, so very unlike Megakat. In very little time they arrived at the wharf of Higher for Hirer. Khan led the way to the office/residence. Kit answered the door. He stared in surprise at the strangers as he moved out of the way to let them in the small office space. It was a bit crowded, so Becky waved them into the area that once was all storage but was now a small residential area for Baloo and Kit with a new wall that divided the area with cargo storage on the other side.

The Cape Suzette residents stared at their guests with open curiosity. Shere Khan made the introductions.

"Thank you for seeing us this late, Ms Cunningham. Our guests are Lt Felina Feral, my mate's niece and an Enforcer like him and these are the SWAT Kats, T-Bone and Razor. They are vigilantes who are not sanctioned but tolerated by the legitimate defenders of Megakat City."

T-Bone snorted in annoyance at that off hand description. "Hey, we may not be enforcers but we take care of the big problems that they can't and Feral knows it."

"Yes, as my mate has unwillingly admitted at the same time fuming at your very existence." Khan said haughtily.

"Well too bad because now you and he need us. Besides we're here because Lt Feral asked us so let's hear this plan you got in mind to rescue the Commander." Razor dragged them back to the reason for their presence here.

"Your pardon, Razor. The mastermind behind the plan is Baloo, pilot of the cargo plane, the Sea Duck. The other members of Higher for Hirer is it's owner, Rebecca Cunningham, their mechanic, Wildcat and the navigator Kit Cloudkicker.

"Pleased to meet you all, but to tell you the truth, I'm not certain what you guys are going to do here." Baloo said scratching his head.

"Why don't you tell us the plan and we can figure out what part we play in it, okay." T-Bone sighed impatiently.

A bit put off by T-Bone's attitude, Baloo reluctantly explained the plan. So you see, we are the best chance of getting Feral because of familiarity with the pirate's hideaway. Kit used to be member of the gang so knows most of the traps and we've tried to prepare ourselves for any new ones Karnage may have put in place because of Kit's knowledge." Baloo finished.

"Well, I agree that what you want to do is probably the best way to go. I think Razor and I will bird dog the squadron with the money and take out the pirates for Cape Suzette once and for all." T-Bone grunted.

"Can anyone tell me what kind of armaments this Iron Vulture has and the pirates CT-37's? It's very likely they will be totally defenseless against our more modern weaponry but it would help me to know as much about them as I can." Razor explained.

"Won't the pirate see you?" Kit asked thinking these two were a bit too over confident.

"Nah, the Turbokat is capable of flying in the stratosphere where none of your planes is able to. Razor's instruments can watch the fleet from quite a distance and since the Turbokat can go faster than the speed of light we can drop in on them in seconds. They will never know what hit them." T-Bone smirked.

Baloo's jaw dropped, "You fly faster than the speed of light?"

"Oh yeah and the Turbokat is capable of traveling in space for a short time too with our speed of heat shields." Razor added proudly.

Even Khan looked impressed at that. Both Baloo and Kit were stunned that such a plane existed.

"Wow! I'd sure like to see that!" Baloo said awed. Kit nodded in agreement. "Maybe when this is over you'll give us a quick ride in that fancy jet of yours."

"Well see, anything is possible." T-Bone smiled.

"So, who has that info I need." Razor asked again.

"Oh sorry, I guess I'm the most qualified to give you that, Razor. Why don't we sit over here and I'll try to answer all your questions." Kit blushed embarrassed and waved the smaller SWAT Kat over to corner where they could talk privately.

"Alright, that just leave me." Felina suddenly spoke up. The rest turned to her in surprise. "I think I should go in with you Khan. After all I am a trained enforcer."

Becky looked at her in shock but it was Baloo who didn't like the idea at all. "Uh, Uh...lady! There is no way I'm taking you on this trip."

Narrowing her eyes at Baloo, Felina decided a demonstration would be more impressive then any argument she could give him. So, without warning, she was next to Baloo with a laser stunner to his throat before he could blink. Everyone froze in shock. Kit had stopped talking to Razor and was gaping with the rest of them. T-Bone and Razor just watched in amusement.

"So what do you say now, chubby guy?" Felina growled still holding the weapon on Baloo.

"Uh, I guess you're going." Baloo gasped. Felina removed her weapon and reholstered it. "Sheesh! Megakat City must be a real dangerous place. Remind me never to visit it." Baloo said carefully avoiding getting too close to the Lt. Shaking his head in amazement, Kit returned to his conversation with Razor.

Still looking a bit stunned at Felina's actions, Becky tried to get everyone to sit down and relax and perhaps learn a little more about each other. They were soon sitting on the old furniture and chatting quietly while waiting for Razor and Kit to be done. Wildcat found the conversation too much over his head so excused himself to return home. Khan offered to order dinner since it was getting late and no one had eaten. That suggestion was met with a rousing agreement and Becky obliged by ordering piazza. Very soon they were consuming large piazza pies and soda.

"It's getting very late. Are you finished getting the information you need, Razor?" Khan asked.

"Yeah. I now know as much as Kit does. My assumptions are right on. The pirates have nothing the Turbokat can't handle easily. It should be fairly quick taking them down." Razor said confidently.

"Excellent, that is good news. But forgive me if I reserve judgement on that till after the pirates are defeated and Ulysses is rescued." Khan said cooly. "Right now I think we need to get some rest. I have guest rooms for you at my tower so I think it's time we take our leave."

"Good idea. I'm bushed! It's been a long day and a real long flight here. I could use some shuteye. Thanks for the chow and we'll be seeing everyone again the day after tomorrow, right?" T-Bone asked ignoring Khan's lack of confidence in them.

Could we see your jet tomorrow?" Kit begged. "It's hard waiting around here doing nothing and I'd really like to see it."

"Hmm, well I don't know what we will be doing while were waiting..." T-Bone hesitated and looked at Khan for an answer.

"I think that's an excellent idea. I too would like to see your jet a little closer. I'd say just after lunch time tomorrow will work since I have to make sure all the details for the trap are in place. I have to brief my squadron that's involved and since they are located where your jet is parked I will be able to take care of that then as well. We will stop by and pick you both up. Will that be alright?" Khan asked.

"Sounds great. See you tomorrow!" Baloo agreed enthusiastically as Kit grinned happily. Becky just sighed and shook her head. Males and their toys!