RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


After being reexamined, Feral and his daughter were allowed to leave. Taking a back exit since the front of the hospital was still being cleaned up, Sgt Fallon helped Feral latch his, now sleeping, daughter into the car seat he'd gotten for the Commander's hummer then helped his superior to get into the passenger seat. He took the driver's seat and carefully took the hummer into the quieter back roads rather than the main streets to give Feral a gentler ride home.

At Feral's apartment, he parked at the rear entry of the building so no one would see the Commander enter with a kitten. They encountered no one when they walked in the door and headed to the elevator. Sergeant Fallon checked the elevator before Feral came into view to make sure the coast was clear, then signaled for the dark tom to come ahead.

In very little time, Feral was once more back in his apartment. It was clean and fresh, the master bed remade with clean linens and a new bassinet sat beside it, also made up with new bedding ready for Elora.

Feral sighed in relief and laid his daughter tenderly in her new bed. He noted a changing table sat next to his dresser with stacks of diapers on the shelves and other necessities and beside that was a small narrow dresser he was certain would be filled with kitten clothing.

He turned back to Fallon who was opening the bags of things the hospital sent and putting some of it away. Bottles were laying on the changing table for him to take to the kitchen. An odd looking device lay on his dresser.

Feral picked it up and saw the directions for it...a breast pump. He blushed a bit and put it down. Fallon, with his armload of bottles was already on his way out of the room.

Feral followed him and removed his coat to hang it up in the coat closet. Fallon returned from the kitchen and prepared to leave.

"Thank you so much for all you've done. I truly appreciate it." He said warmly to his really fantastic assistant.

Fallon blushed and smiled. "I was happy to do it sir. Ms. Briggs was the one who got you the dresser, breast pump, and kitten clothes. She also left you a list of things you're going to need and can get later on your own. There are some age appropriate toys and she found you...uh...more intimate apparel to help prevent leaking milk through your clothes and bedding."

Feral found himself blushing at the mention of breast milk and leaking. "When I see her again, I'll thank her. You both have made this a much easier transition. I have a lot to learn." He said ruefully.

"Oh, as to that, here is a helpful book the hospital sent along with you." Fallon said handing over a flat, brightly drawn book on kitten care.

Feral accepted it and flipped through it a moment. It was simply done with plenty of pics as well as helpful tips. "This should help."

"I'll take my leave now, sir. Remember get as much rest as you can. I've taken the liberty, with the hospital and Ms. Briggs' assistance, to load up your cupboards and fridge with quick and easy meals containing the calories you require to feed Elora adequately. There's a nutrition guide taped to your fridge as well. I'll come check on you say, tomorrow afternoon?" Fallon asked.

Feral blinked. It was just amazing to him to realize how everyone was doing their best to help him. It was very humbling to have so many care about his welfare and were willing to help him over this very difficult time.

"Um...well, why don't you just call first." He said, a little embarrassed to be watched so closely.

"Certainly, sir. Take care and call me if you need me for anything." Fallon said agreeably then left.

Feral sighed and looked around. It felt good to be alone again after the nightmare of the day's events. He tried to decide what he wanted to do now and was unhappy to learn he was very tired. Resigned, he went to the bedroom and stripped off his clothes, grimacing when he saw his shirt was milk soaked.

Tossing the shirt in his laundry basket in the bathroom, he washed his chest clean then went looking for whatever it was Ms. Briggs had gotten him for this problem. When he located it, all he could do was hold it in shock.

It was a bra with special panels that allowed nursing and absorbent pads to be placed in the cups. There was a selection of washable and disposable pads in the top drawer of his dresser. During his search, he also found a kitten bag for use when they left the apartment.

He swallowed at the sight of the feminine piece of clothing. If giving birth and nursing his daughter hadn't brought home to him that he was just as much female as male, this piece of clothing slapped him in the face with it.

He took a deep breath and spent the next fifteen minutes figuring out how to put it on and getting used to wearing something strapped to his chest. He wonder how she-kats got used to this thing.

One thing he knew, he would never hassle a she-kat for taking too long to get ready, ever again. Add to the embarrassment of the bra there was the 'special' underwear pads he had to wear. Because he had male equipment, the pad rode rather oddly and felt just as weird but was necessary since he was still bleeding a little.

By the time he'd finished putting on his motherly gear, he was even more exhausted. He pulled the bedding down and crawled onto the bed and collapsed. He was asleep before his head hit the pillow. Unfortunately, it felt like he'd only been asleep a few minutes when a wailing cry jerked him awake. His body trembled from the adrenaline rush and it took him a moment to orient himself.

Groaning, he shoved his bedding off and leaned over the bassinet to pick up his daughter. His nose detected the need to change her. God he was soo tired. It took him a moment before he could get to his feet. Holding her against his chest, he tried to calm her, that wasn't exactly the right thing to do as her little nose could smell food and wanted it right now.

Her cries increased and her little claws dug into his chest demandingly. Growling in defeat, Feral gave up trying to get to his feet and lay back down.

"Easy, sweety. Mommy's hurrying." He said groggily as he fumbled to open the special section of the bra. Finally he freed his nipple and Elora latched on urgently. Feral sighed and rested as his daughter nursed. Her tugging and sucking felt strange and wonderful at the same time.

He didn't know how long his mind drifted but he finally realized Elora had finished eating and was now asleep. He sighed unhappily, she still needed changing.

He sat up carefully with her in his arms and got slowly to his feet. He walked slowly to the changing table and laid her down gently. During the time he had been feeding her she had soaked through her clothes. He tilted his head toward the ceiling, as tired as he was this seemed like the last straw but he knew this was just the beginning.

Shaking himself, he carefully pulled her clothes off. Elora showed her displeasure by fussing sleepily. He got her all cleaned up then redressed. He carried her to her bed and laid her down. He watched her sigh and settle into a deeper sleep before moving off to the bathroom to take care of his own needs.

He checked the time and saw he'd only been asleep less than two hours. He groaned and crawled back into bed once more.

By evening, Feral was soo tired he could hardly see what he was doing. How did females handle this? Of course, most had a mate that helped split the work but he had no one and felt it. After feeding Elora yet again, he struggled to make himself something to eat, really glad for the quick prepared foods. He barely knew what he was eating and had to force himself to finish it then put his dishes in the sink, dragging himself back to bed once more.

Just after the incident in the hospital, the SWAT Kats returned to their hangar. As they changed their clothes they couldn't help thinking about Feral's new situation.

"I'm still blown away by the fact Feral is mother." Chance said shaking his head as he zipped up his coveralls.

"Yeah, it's a shock alright." Jake said. "What's worse is he's trying to do this alone. He has no clue what its like to take care of a newborn and try to get sleep yourself. By the end of today he'll be like the walking dead."

Chance's face scrunched up. "How the heck do you know all that? I thought you were an only kitten?"

"I was, but I helped a cousin who was having to raise her new kitten on her own. I was in school and I would stop by to give her a paw everyday and evenings. She was so grateful because it was far more than she'd expected and she was exhausted." Jake said, shrugging.

"I know that as well, having seen my mother after the birth of my little sister. My dad had to go to work so I would help her out when I was home and my dad did it at night. Still we were all really glad when Jayna slept through the night." Chance said, smiling at the memory.

"Well, we've got work to do, buddy. Let's get to it." Jake sighed, heading for the ladder and climbing up to the garage. His mind, though, was still on Feral's plight.

As they cleared their work load, both couldn't shake just how hard Feral's new life was going to be and though they never really liked the big arrogant and stubborn tom, having a kitten on his own without a mate had changed their feelings about him and brought out their compassionate side.

When they closed up their shop for the evening and went up to order dinner, they sat on the couch waiting for their food and brooding.

"Ya know..." Chance began.

"I think..." Jake said at the same time.

They stopped and stared at each other in surprise.

"You go ahead, buddy." Chance finally said.

"Uh, okay. I think I should give Feral a paw. He's going to be so exhausted and that will be detrimental to himself and his kitten." Jake said seriously.

Chance shook his head. "What a surprise that we're both thinking the same thing. Despite what I normally feel for that pain in the neck, I do feel sorry for him. He's in way over his head and with him keeping it secret, he can't get help during these early days."

Jake eyed his partner in surprise. "I never thought I'd hear you say you'd be willing to help Feral but I'm glad. I think the best way to help is to take turns giving him assistance through the night. What do you say?" He asked.

"Good idea. Flip you for tonight!" Chance said, pulling a coin out of his pocket and flipping it.

"Heads!" Jake called.

"Huh! Heads it is. Looks like you have Feral watch first." Chance sighed.

Their doorbell rang. Their dinner had arrived. Once he'd finished eating and ensuring he had his signaler on him in case of a call for the SWAT Kats, Razor took off on his cyclotron for Feral's apartment.

Parking his bike behind a huge dumpster behind the apartment building and setting its security system, Razor shot his grappling line to the roof and repelled up. He entered the building through the roof door. He knew Feral had his apartment near the exit and on the top floor for easy access for chopper pickup.

Slipping into the quiet hallway from the emergency stairs, Razor padded softly to the Commander's apartment door. Using his glovatrix he jimmied the lock and snuck in. The apartment was dark and silent.

He closed and locked the door behind him then padded across the living room for the bedroom. A small night light lit the room making it easier for him to see Feral sound asleep and just beyond him, the bassinet. Smiling quietly, he let them be and went into the living room. Turning on the TV, sound very low, he flipped the channels until he found something interesting and settled in.

Less than an hour later, a soft cry came drifting out of the bedroom. Razor got to his feet instantly and entered the room. Feral was still asleep and hadn't responded yet. The cinnamon tom padded around the bed quietly and raised the little one from her bed.

He carried her over to the changing table and did a diaper change. Once done, he carried her over to Feral's side. Elora was fussing nosily but the Commander still hadn't heard her. Razor shook his head in sympathy, the Commander was just too tired.

As gently as he could he pulled the covers down from Feral's front and saw the bra, nodding to himself, he reached forward and popped the snap on the upper breast because he could see it was swollen more than the one below meaning this one was the one needing to be emptied. He used a spare pillow to hold Elora at the right height and helped her latch on. Feral grunted as she sucked hard but made no other sound nor woke up.

It took Elora some fifteen minutes to finish nursing. Razor stayed close and watched with a small smile as he waited. When she was done, he gently picked her up, tapped her back gently until she burped then laid her back in her bed.

He went to the dresser next and looked around. Opening the top drawer he found what he was looking for. He grabbed a clean pad and returned to the bed. He removed the soaked one and replaced it then snapped the bra flap closed and pulled the covers back over Feral. Nodding in satisfaction, he left the room to do the dishes and some light housekeeping then watched TV again.

Razor took care of Elora at several intervals throughout the night. The last time was when dawn was peeking through the curtains. Elora cried out and he quickly went through to pick her up. This time, however, Feral snorted awake and was shocked to see his daughter in the paws of a SWAT Kat.

"What the heck!" He blurted trying to get out of his bedding, frantically.

"Easy, don't stir yourself unless you need to go to the bathroom. I'll get her cleaned up and changed so you can feed her when you get back." Razor soothed him as he expertly began doing just what he'd said.

Feral gaped at him as he watched Razor expertly change Elora.

"What is going on?" He finally managed to ask as he slowly got out of bed.

"Well, its like this...T-Bone and I got to thinking just how hard this was going to be for you. We both have experience from our kittenhood of doing kitten duty so we thought we'd supply you night time help so that you can get some much needed sleep." Razor said simply as he finished his chore and raised Elora into his arms gently. He turned to Feral.

"Don't you feel a little more rested?" He asked, smiling.

Feral blinked at that question, actually he did feel more rested.

"Yes, I do surprisingly." He said slowly staring at Razor with new eyes. "Why do you want to do this? You don't like me." He asked, trying to get a handle on this new behavior from his constant antagonist.

"Yeah, well, you are a pain in the neck but you've done something truly amazing and shouldn't suffer for it as most new mother's do." Razor said, shrugging again, blushing a little.

Feral still found this hard to believe but he couldn't deny that he felt more rested and he hadn't woke all night and he knew Elora had but she was clean, though hungry and, to his shocked embarrassment, so was he.

"Uh, you didn't by chance..." He started to ask, face flushing in mortification that the SWAT Kat had done something so intimate for him.

"Yeah, I did. I helped my cousin. It makes sore nipples if it isn't done. Think nothing of it." The cinnamon tom said, smoothing over the awkward moment quickly.

"Uh, thanks. I..." Feral began before Elora let out a particularly loud complaint.

"Guess she's lost her patience. Do you need to use the bathroom first?" Razor asked politely, as he bounced the kitten to calm her.

Feral blushed yet again but realized he did need to go and hurriedly got up, vanishing into the bathroom. Moments later he was back and beginning to reach for Elora.

"I've got her, you go and get back into bed so you can feed her more comfortably. By the way, it's your left breast she needs." Razor said quietly.

Feral raised an eyebrow at him but didn't argue as he moved to the bed and laid down on the side he needed, he'd already grabbed a replacement pad. He opened his bra and waited. Razor came over to him and tenderly laid the kitten next to her mother.

Elora, however, was angry and wouldn't latch on despite how hungry she was. Feral frowned in frustration as he tried to coax her to eat.

"Its alright, she's just too angry. Try caressing her face gently and purr, she'll come around." Razor advised.

Desperate to try anything at this point, Feral did as suggested. Gradually, Elora calmed and was soon nursing with gusto.

Feral sighed then looked up and stared at Razor for a long moment. "Thank you, you obviously do know something about caring for kittens. I have no such background and am lost."

"Hey, you're welcome. So I've go to go home now. T-Bone will be on duty tonight."

Feral blinked at him in shock. "What?"

"We're taking turns. You have her all day and we'll help you all night. She'll space her feedings out in about another month. We'll do this for the next week or two for you since that is the worst time for a mother in the beginning. Take it easy today, don't try to do to much. If you haven't gotten your necessary chores done, don't sweat it. We'll get the dishes, housecleaning and laundry done while you sleep." Razor assured the stunned Commander. He waved good bye and left the apartment.

Feral lay there in complete astonishment. Never would he have dreamed these two vigilantes would reach out a helping paw to him but here they were doing it. It changed his way of thinking about them considerably.