RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


When Hadrian left his lover that evening, his mind was filled with concerns for his hoped-for family's safety. He headed quickly for his hotel and upon arrival went up to his room to make a long distance phone call.

He felt a little ashamed that he hadn't made this call long before, but there had been far too much going on since he'd arrived in Megakat City. Reconnecting with his former lover and getting to know his new daughter had occupied his mind completely but now that they were in so much danger, his mind turned toward the one who had been his rock for so many long years.

"Hmm, hello?" Came a sleepy voice.

Hadrian winced as he realized what time it was in Lignaria. "Tafari, my friend, I am so sorry to be calling this early in the morning. I truly forgot the time differences."

"Hadrian?...No...no...it is nothing, my friend. Are you alright? I've been beside myself with concern over you since you left," his friend said quickly, waking up completely. He made an 'it's okay' gesture to his new mate who muttered in annoyance at the early morning call. Climbing from the bed, he went to the living room so as not to disturb her any further.

"I'm so sorry...things just got so involved that I just didn't make time and now that danger threatens my loved ones, I'm beside myself trying to find a way to protect them," Hadrian said anxiously, pacing the floor of his room.

"Wait...slow down...Hadrian, what danger are you talking about...start at the beginning. So things went well with your meeting with Commander Feral?" Tafari asked, glad to hear from his friend but now concerned about what could have gone wrong.

"Oh yes I've met him and kissed him...he's everything I remembered and so much more. He's willing to begin a relationship and we've already become close in just a few days and my daughter...oh Tafari...she is so beautiful and has such a sweet nature...I love them both with all my heart. I don't think it will take long before I'm with them all the time," Hadrian said, love and joy filling his voice.

Tafari smiled broadly at the sound of such happiness in his friend's voice. "I'm so happy for you, Hadrian. Just be careful you don't hurry things too quickly," he warned, amused. "You've kissed already so things sound very hot between you but a relationship isn't based on just sexual attraction alone."

"Oh I know...but it helps!" Hadrian's smirk could be heard easily over the line. "Every time we are together we set the world on fire but I never cross the line even when I can tell he is starting to get frustrated with me for leaving him so hot and bothered every time we part. Even though I'm honoring his request to go slow...I can't help it if we sort of get very heated when we are together," he said in amusement then became more serious when he went on to say, "...but sexual attraction aside, Tafari, we are dealing with some serious issues right now and they are causing Ulysses a great deal of stress. He is already leaning on me for comfort and advice which is binding us closer together so I feel we have more in common than just being attracted to each."

"Nothing like a crisis for bringing individuals together," Tafari stated, wisely. "So exactly what is this danger that has you both so anxious?"

Hadrian explained the threat of omegas using their daughter as a bargaining chip against the Chief Enforcer, the measures being taken so far, the involvement of the SWAT Kats, and how he was managing to keep himself unknown to the enemy.

Tafari eyes widened in consternation as he listened to his friend. When Hadrian had finished his explanation, his friend was shaking his head. "Oh, Hadrian, this is very serious indeed. I'd heard about all the strange things that are always happening in that city and I'm so very sorry you are now in the middle of such a dangerous situation. I'm glad you're able to keep your identity secret from them so far, but what do you intend to do now?"

"That is why I've called you my friend. I thought if we put our heads together we might come up with a solution using my contacts in the weapons and security fields and yours in the more cloak and dagger business," Hadrian suggested carefully.

His friend's field of expertise was in espionage and he'd always been careful not to probe Tafari nor ask favors of him since that field was extremely dangerous. Just being friends with Tafari all these years carried considerable risks but one that added spice to their friendship and was profitable for him as well. If anyone could help his fledgling family, it would be Tafari.

"Hmm, it's possible but I'll need a current picture of Megakat City's threat level and what Intel the surrounding countries have collected on these omegas, Dark Kat especially since they are under constant threat of invasion if one of these creatures were able to take over such a large and wealthy city state. After speaking with them, I'll get with the local authorities and compare Intel. The locals information will, of course, be tainted by their closeness to the problem and won't necessarily be as accurate. Knowing this criminal's modus operandi will help us determine how best to deal with him and anyone else he's got working with him," Tafari said, already falling into his more professional mind set as he laid out what needed to be done.

"Understood! Ulysses would have that information, of course, but he would want to know why I needed it, so I must be more circumspect. Hmm...perhaps asking the SWAT Kats would be a better choice to get that more personal experience aspect. Then I need to probe the local security forces around here for their input...yes...and some of the more unsavory sources as well. I think it's time I called in some favors..." Hadrian mused, his mind already working on the problem from his end.

"Good! That will lessen the amount of work I'll have to do. However, I do hate for you to do this behind your lover's back when you are at such a delicate stage in your relationship," Tafari murmured in concern.

Hadrian sighed, "I know! I hate doing it as well but he is very stubborn and very much by the book. What you and I do protects and defends the world at large while Ulysses is only concerned with his small corner of it. Besides which, much of it is in that gray area no self-respecting law enforcement person will go, least of all...my lover. If I even mentioned this to him, we would be butting heads and getting no where very quickly...so, no...I won't let him in on what I'm up to. He only knows what my company's face is to the world which is repairing businesses and bringing them back to robust life. He'd really flip if he knew it was in reality a troubleshooter enforcement operation that protects his place in the world. I haven't lied to him though, I really do help companies get back on their feet but that's after my company has cleaned their house of pesky criminals first. You know I can't tell him the real mission of my company and it's really not something he needs to know since my part of it is safe and above board...ah..most of the time that is...there have been a few, shall we say, ticklish situations, over the years."

Tafari snickered. "Oh yes, some of those situations were quite dangerous and tread perilously close to breaking the law on many occasions but it's what has made you the top 'fix-it' Kat in your chosen profession, my friend."

Hadrian snorted, smiling, though his friend couldn't see it. "One does what one has to in getting the job done. So, we have a plan of action?"

"Yes, I'll get to it immediately from my end then catch the next flight out to Megakat City in a day or so," Tafari agreed readily, already moving ahead in his mind on what he needed to get done and who he needed to speak with.

"Thank you, my friend. I truly hated to ask this of you, but..."

"Don't! You've never asked anything of me...ever. This is the most important thing in your life and as your best friend, I will do anything in my power to see you happy and safe. Think nothing of it. See you soon, Hadrian," Tafari told him briskly, not brooking any argument or apology from his friend.

Sighing in relief, Hadrian said, "thank you my friend. See you soon!" He broke the connection and turned his mind to what he needed to do.

Going to his briefcase, he drew out some paper and a pen, took a seat at the small table near the window and began to make some notes. When he finished, he locked it back up in his briefcase and went to bed. Tomorrow morning he would be with his lover until Elora went off to the sitter then it was off to begin his covert work. He hoped by the time he saw Ulysses tomorrow evening, his plans would be in motion and see fruition before Dark Kat made his move.

In the dilapidated mansion that was Dark Kat's present hideout, Hard Drive had finally had enough. What Dark Kat planned was hideous and he wanted no part in it. And it didn't help that Dr. Viper had a plan of his own that would trump everyone's and leave a totally devastated city no one could live in but himself and his creatures.

He had been fortunate to have overheard Viper while he was zipping through the security system in the house to test it for DK. Good thing the ugly mutant loved to talk to his plants. At the time, he thought Dark Kat wasn't paying attention to his 'partner's' doings but not too long after he'd discovered Viper's plans, he found Dark Kat wasn't as completely oblivious to Viper's mechanizations as he'd thought due to an off-hand comment the big tom had made one day, but Dark Kat was soo arrogant, the fool truly thought he would be able to put Viper down before the mutant could pull off his nightmare plan.

Hard Drive may not have been as brilliant as these two were, but he wasn't stupid. Because he really didn't have that much of an ego that needed to be stroked, he was able to see clearly that these two would either kill each other or one of them would succeed in their mission. But no matter what the outcome was, he and the city wouldn't survive it.

So despite Dark Kat's threats, which were formidable and scared him witless, he made his plans to escape. All he needed was an opportunity.

Hadrian rose early and was at Ulysses' apartment, carrying breakfast, once more. Entering quickly when his lover opened the door, he grinned widely at the sight of Elora reaching for him from her mother's arms. He loved her madly and was thrilled she accepted him so easily.

Smiling indulgently, Feral willingly handed over their daughter while he took their breakfast to the kitchen. Hadrian followed, cooing and tickling his daughter...she giggled happily and spit bubbles of milk at him. He chuckled and grabbed a tissue to wipe her mouth before giving her a kiss.

"She is in good spirits this morning, my love," he murmured to Ulysses who was setting out glasses of milk.

"Yes, she is. She's also beginning to sleep longer through the night, though I've been told she needs to begin eating solid food soon for that to happen completely," Feral said, smiling at the picture before him...the doting father playing with his daughter...it made him warm inside, despite the worried flutters about her leaving soon.

"Ooohh, that will be an adventure," Hadrian said delightedly. "How about that Elora? Would you like to try some cereal that you'll spit at you papa, eh?" Elora just cooed happily.

Feral shook his head as he took his daughter back from her father then set her in her small carrier that allowed her to be near her parents. "Here sweety," Feral cooed, handing over a set of plastic keys for his daughter to play with.

Her strong little fingers clasped it tightly then shook it, enchanted by the sound they made. Her father smiled warmly down at her as he began to eat his breakfast.

"She is such a treasure, my love. What a wonderful thing we've done even if it wasn't planned by either of us," he sighed, totally besotted with her.

Feral blushed warmly and had to agree with Hadrian...Elora was the greatest treasure in his life now as was this wonderful tom. If he could just get rid of this doom hanging over them, they could be just like any other family...enjoying life and love...he'd waited long enough for it, after all. That gloomy thought made his smile fade, his gaze staring into the distance. No matter how he pushed his ops people, no one had been able to find a hint of where Dark Kat was holed up but he had heard disturbing rumors that Viper was with him.

That had left a cold feeling in the pit of his stomach. One of those criminals was bad enough but when they teamed up, no one survived. It was only their egos and their total lack of trust with each other that had made their plans fail time after time. Unfortunately, it took only one time for their cooperation to work then they would all suffer the consequences. He desperately wanted to catch them before that ever happened.

It felt truly odd to know the SWAT Kats felt just as desperate about the situation as he did, though it really shouldn't have since their stated goal in life had always been to rid the city of omegas but, he'd never believed that fully until recently. Now he knew them better, he realized they did indeed want peace for the city just as much as he did...just was willing to accomplish it their own way. Inwardly, he groaned at that because their way always gave him major headaches due to the amount of property damage they caused. He was drawn from his gloomy introspection by a light touch on his arm. He blinked and cleared his thoughts to give his lover his full attention.

"I don't think I have to guess at why you have such a mournful look on your face that our daughter's disposition couldn't hold at bay," Hadrian murmured quietly.

Feral grimaced, then sighed, "no, I doubt you have to guess. I just wish we could find that crud!"

"I know love, so do I. I hate that it is interfering with our desire to get to know each other better and that it endangers our daughter," Hadrian agreed grimly.

Feral could only nod. All this fear held a pall over what should be a wonderful experience. He wanted nothing more than to drag his lover to his bed and be with him and hang the 'take it slow' pace he, himself had advocated, but with this hanging over their heads...life truly sucked at times.

A noise in the living area warned of Razor's arrival. Feral's body tightened with worry once more as he gently picked up his now drowsing daughter, took her toy from her limp grasp, and prepared her to leave him for the day. Hugging her tightly, Feral carried her out to the living area followed by Hadrian.

Razor already had the pod open and ready on the couch while he slipped the already prepared diaper bag over his head and right shoulder.

"Good morning all. Are we ready to go?" He asked warmly.

Feral could only give a wane smile as he hugged Elora one more time then laid her tenderly inside her travel cocoon. Razor gave a comforting smile to the worried mother as he briskly got Elora ready then closed the pod, slipped it over his shoulders, waved goodbye and strode across the room to the balcony where he climbed over and disappeared from view. Hadrian was grateful to the SWAT Kat's brisk and efficient method of leave-taking...his lover may be still anguished at the parting but at least it was quick and not drawn out.

Shuddering, Feral wrapped his arms around his body. This was the second time Elora had been carried off from him and it felt just as nerve-wracking as the first time. A warm arm wrapped around his waist and a familiar scent filled his nose as Hadrian leaned close and nuzzled his neck, offering comfort.

He sighed out a long breath and stood still accepting the comfort then straightened his spine and readied himself to go to work. Feeling his lover, take back control of himself, Hadrian deposited a brief kiss on the dark brown cheek before releasing the tom.

"Have a safe day, my love. I will see you this evening as usual...try not to worry too much," he said gently.

"I'll try. Hadrian?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for being here. It's...made it easier to...let her go. I'm not sure I would have been able to handle it as well without you."

Hadrian smiled. "Oh, I think you sell yourself short on that, Ulysses, you'd be unhappy and worried but you'd do what was necessary regardless. However, I'm glad you don't have to. Besides, I need the comforting just as much as you do," he said encouragingly.

Feral smiled wanly, very glad he was here too. "Have a good day, Hadrian...see you later!" He said warmly, seeing his lover to the door, trading a rather scorching kiss before opening the door to peer out, checking to see if the coast was clear. Giving the 'all clear', he stepped out of the way and Hadrian hurriedly slipped past him and ran to the stairs, quickly disappearing from view.

Feral closed the door and sighed again. He went to the kitchen, quickly tidied up, put on his gun harness, slipped his gun in it then pulled on his coat. Picking up his radio from the table near the door, he stepped out of his apartment. Time to get to the office and focus on work.

The cyclotron roared through the open hangar door and pulled to a smooth stop. Razor shut the engine and climbed off. No one was in sight as he walked through the hangar and passed through two labs before coming to the one where Elora spent her day.

Cybertron greeted him with a happy electronic whistle.

"Good morning to you too. Well here she is. Where's your master?" Razor asked as he unshipped Elora's pod from his back and set it on the changing table.

"I am here, Razor. Good morning to you both," Professor Hackle's voice came from behind him.

He turned his head and gave a quick smile hello before turning back to open the pod and undo Elora's restraints. The kitten, as was usual, was asleep.

"I think the vibrations of the bike put her to sleep," he commented as he carried her over to her crib and gently laid her down, covering her with her blanket. He handed the diaper bag off to Cybertron who carried it off to be emptied.

"I'm sure they do," Hackle said in amusement.

"I've got a lot of work to do so I'll be off Professor. Have a good day!" Razor said heading back out.

"You too...be safe!" The professor called out to the retreating back before returning to his own work.