RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Hadrian was impressed with the layout of Professor Hackle's lab/residence. There was a long drive up to his front door with a security gate blocking some distance from the home itself.

Feral paused at the gate. He'd never been here and was impressed by the security measures he was seeing so far. There was a security camera just above the heavily reinforced gate attached to a high rock wall that went a long distance in both directions. A heavy forest hid most of the back of Hackle's home, the front faced the ocean over a high cliff to the beach below. This gate was at the side of the home.

He pressed the button attached to a small web cam set on an arm far enough out to reach a car. He quickly pulled his hat off so he could be properly recognized. "Hello, Professor Hackle. This is Commander Feral. Could we be allowed in to see you?"

It seemed to take forever before an elderly voice finally spoke through the speaker. "Commander? Why are you here?" His voice sounded concerned and surprised.

"I really needed to see where my daughter would be staying and to have her meet you," Feral admitted.

"Ah, I see. My sensors indicate you have another passenger besides your daughter." Hackle's voice questioned carefully.

"That is my daughter's father, Hadrian. He's safe," Feral assured the elderly Kat.

There was silence for a long moment then..."very well, come on in," Hackle said.

The gates opened slowly. When there was enough room, Feral carefully drove through and up the long drive. Along the way he spotted various security measures; cameras in trees as well as hidden lasers that his training allowed him to spot even though they were cleverly hidden amongst the greenery that was given free rein here, lending the area a jungle feel.

They finally reached a small parking area under some huge trees. Feral could see that the trees effectively hid any vehicles visiting the Professor from anyone flying above. They climbed out, Hadrian grabbing the diaper bag while Feral retrieved his daughter from her seat. She'd fallen asleep on the drive over.

This side of the Professor's home had what appeared to be a simple ornate door but even here there was a security keypad and screen. Feral reached to the pad and touched the button that said visitor.

The door looked like an ordinary front door then it did something totally surprising. Instead of swinging open, it slid to one side into the framing. Feral blinked at it in amazement. The professor waited on the other side, eyeing them curiously. As he passed over the threshold, he paused to look at the door more closely. It wasn't a flimsy slider but a very thick panel that could most likely handle most munitions shot at it. He was impressed.

He stepped the rest of the way in and watched the door silently slide close once more. He turned his attention back to Professor Hackle who was giving him a small smile of amusement. If this was just a sample of what the old inventor had protecting his home then Feral wasn't the least bit worried about his daughter's safety. He felt his shoulders relax their tension and he sighed.

"Professor, your place is like Fort Knox. I'm truly impressed and know Elora will be safe here. I do apologize for showing up without calling you first, but I couldn't allow anyone to know I intended to leave my apartment with Elora nor where I was going," Feral told him.

"Not a problem, Commander. I understand many eyes and ears are watching your every move right now. But how did you manage to leave your home without being spotted?" Hackle asked curiously.

"Hadrian came up with the idea of carrying Elora in a bag like he was carrying clothing while I left some minutes later dressed in a long coat and slouch hat. To further confuse anyone watching, I even dumped a bag of trash out then made my way to Hadrian's car. No one except the SWAT Kats even knows about him so no one had a reason to watch him. It seemed to have worked as I detected no one following us," Feral explained.

"Ahhh, an excellent plan. So you wished to 'case' the place your daughter will be staying... is that it?" Hackle asked gently.

Feral felt his face burn. "Yes. It's not that I don't trust you but I don't know you and wanted to be sure Elora accepted you as well as seeing how you planned to care for such a small kitten when you've never been a father," he said earnestly.

"I understand completely, Commander. I had reservations myself when the SWAT Kats approached me about your problem. I was extremely surprised that you accepted their assistance considering your rather acerbic behavior towards them," Hackle said, shaking his head in amazement.

Feral grimaced then sighed. "It isn't like they gave me much of a choice nor did I have a choice once I learned what it was like being a new mother. I may hate what they represent but they are good Kats and they have been nothing but unfailingly devoted to Elora and seeing to my welfare for her sake. I may be hard headed at times but I'm not stupid. They were lifesavers when I truly needed them and now they are doing it again...ensuring Elora's safety. What else can I say?" He said helplessly, spreading his paws in frustration.

"Yes, they can certainly get under ones fur. They do care...for every katizen and this city and I'm glad you realize it. But I do know you can't publicly acknowledge it either. I promise I won't hold that against you. I thank you for telling me this though. I now have a better picture of why you're allowing them to help you," Hackle said thoughtfully.

He came closer to Feral's side and stared down at the tiny creature in the car seat. "Oh, Commander, she is a beauty. You are the most amazing tom to have been able to give birth to your own kitten. I salute you, sir," Hackle said warmly.

"Now, T-Bone had already warned me of your reaction to leaving your little one here. I don't blame you for being afraid and concerned. No mother wants their kitten too far from them or to be taken by strangers no matter how serious the reason. Please, come with me and I'll show you where Elora will be staying while with me," Hackle told him, turning away and leading them through a side hall and into another heavily secured area where the elderly Kat tapped in a code which caused the door to open revealing a series of labs.

They stepped through the door and followed Hackle through several small to large areas until they came to one that held lots of books, a huge mainframe computer, tables full of various projects, a big desk overflowing with paperwork, a large open area where some kind of vehicle was being assembled, and to one side of one work table was a small area that held a crib, a swing, changing table with diapers nearby, a small fridge with a bottle warmer set on top of it, and a small robot that stood quietly nearby. Also in that area was a large picture window that looked out over the bay and allowed warm sunshine to pour in.

Hackle walked over to this mini-kitten area. "As you can see, I and the SWAT Kats have tried to meet every one of Elora's needs. This is Cybertron," he said gesturing to the small robot. "He is the one that helped the SWAT Kats defeat the Pastmaster's mummies last year. He suffered a great deal of damage but I've been able to repair him and he's good as new. Say hello, cybertron," he instructed the little robot.

It made soft beeps and uttered a mechanical hello that was understandable as it rolled to Feral and Hadrian and offered its three-fingered paw for them to shake.

Feral blinked in bemusement as he automatically extended his paw and it shook Feral's paw with just the right amount of pressure and released it before the little robot went to Hadrian and did the same before rolling back to the Professor's side.

"This thing is going to take care of my daughter?" Feral asked dubiously.

"Part of the time, while I am occupied. Of course, I'll handle Elora's feedings and comfortings if she needs it, though over time, I'm sure she'll grow to love cybertron," Hackle assured the mother.

Feral shook his head in unease. He wasn't so certain about this. After all, the last robots he had dealt with were Mac and Molly Mange. Suddenly, Elora began to make fussy sounds. Feral found an empty table top and placed her carrier there so he could take her out of her seat.

"She needs changing." Feral muttered more to himself than anyone else.

"Please, allow Cybertron to show you what he can do. It will be the only way you will know for certain that she is perfectly safe with him," Hackle coaxed.

Feral looked down at the little robot waiting patiently. He hugged Elora to him as he tried to decide if he could do this. Seeing his difficulty and understanding perfectly because he felt the same way, Hadrian came to his side.

"He's right Ulysses. It's the only way we'll know if Elora will be alright with this. I'm a little worried too but we already agreed this was the only way to protect her," he said gently, touching his lover's arm.

Feral sighed as he nervously lowered Elora so that she could see the robot. Cybertron stayed still and made no move to reach for Elora. Everyone waited. Elora's eyes weren't that sharp yet but apparently she felt no fear for the metallic creature as she reached out and bopped it on its electronic face shield where its glowing red eyes were with her tiny paw.

Feral sucked in his breath but nothing happened. Elora giggled while Cybertron just stood there patiently. Still nervous, he carefully extended his kitten toward the robot.

"She needs her diaper changed. Would you do it please?" He asked, feeling strange asking a machine.

Cybertron made a happy whistling sound and gently took Elora from Feral's paws. It held the kitten close while making strange musical noises as it made for the changing table, set at his height. Carefully and with obvious expertise, Cybertron set about changing the diaper. In just a few minutes, Elora was changed and heading back to her mother. The whole time, the kitten made happy noises and waved her arms and legs around excitedly.

Feral accepted his daughter back in his arms. He hugged her close while he stared at the robot in amazement. "Well, he certainly did that well and Elora didn't complain," he admitted.

Professor Hackle had been holding his breath. Though he had programmed Cybertron and knew the little robot capable, he still had his reservations about how the kitten and robot would react to each other. He was extremely relieved that all was well.

"Now, I suppose it's my turn. I will admit I have never held a little one before, Commander. If you would instruct me please...?" Hackle asked as he came close to take the kitten into his own arms after hanging his cane on a table nearby.

"Here Elora, what do you think of him?" Feral asked his daughter as he turned Elora around so that she could see Hackle.

Elora eyed the old Kat with apparent fascination and no fear. She cooed and held her arms out as if to reach for the Kat's glasses. Hackle couldn't help but chuckle at her antics.

"Aw, you are such a sweet little thing. Your mother is a very lucky Kat to have such a good- natured kitten such as you," Hackle cooed at her.

Feral passed his daughter to Hackle. "You hold her head like this and her body like that..." he instructed, moving the old Kat's arms into the proper positions.

Hackle stared down at the kitten in amazement. Such a little thing she was and what a wonderful disposition she had. Even now Elora was making efforts to try and pull on Hackle's hair or reach for his glasses. He felt his heart warm at the sight and smell of her. He could see why the SWAT Kats had fallen in love with her. She was such a wonderful treasure.

"She seems very fascinated with my spectacles," he observed as he rocked her in his arms and smiled down at her tiny face.

"Probably sees her own reflection in them," Hadrian said smiling in relief. It seemed Elora was going to be very happy here and safe.

"Well I guess that answers the question about her being comfortable here. I certainly can't complain that she won't be safe and now I can see her needs will be handled as well. So there's only one thing left to discuss; her important information and how to stay in touch," Feral said, relieved Elora would be fine though still unhappy about leaving her at all.

"Certainly Commander. I have made a special device with Razor's assistance that will allow us to call each other securely. No one will know the frequency and be able to tap into it. You just send an information sheet on her care like how often she feeds, how much usually, and anything else you'd like me to know about her care," Hackle said. "I'm certain we'll get along very well leaving you to be able to concentrate on your work. Distractions are very dangerous for you. Elora would be lost without you," Hackle warned gently.

"I know. I intend to be more watchful and not take as many risks as I used to," Feral promised solemnly as he took Elora back into his arms. "Thank you, Cybertron. I appreciate your care of her."

Cybertron made a brisk salute and piped a, 'You're welcome, sir,' to Feral.

"We should be going now. I don't want anyone to realize I have left my home. Thank you for reassuring me, Professor. I'll still have a problem being separated from her but at least I know she will be safe and that will have to satisfy my instincts for protecting her," Feral sighed reluctantly.

"It will be hard, I'm certain, for you to part with her everyday. I won't be annoyed if you want to call me often for the first few days to ease your protective instincts. I'm glad you, sir, have reentered the picture. T-Bone informed me of your intentions to perhaps begin a relationship with your daughter's mother. I hope all goes well between you for her sake. Good luck to you both," Hackle said warmly to the two adults as he saw them out of his home.

"Thank you, I hope it will work out as well and thank you for taking on this responsibility of guarding my daughter. If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to call me," Hadrian said sincerely as he handed over his business card to Hackle.

"Why, thank you and you are entirely welcome. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and stay safe," Hackle said in farewell.

They nodded and stepped through the door back to the outside. Feral placed Elora's carrier in the back seat and cinched it in place while Hadrian tossed the diaper bag beside it.

As they were driving down the long road from Hackle's toward the city once more, Hadrian mused about the odd inventor and his fortress.

"What's the story on this guy, Ulysses?" He asked curiously.

Feral snorted then told Hadrian all he knew about Professor Hackle.

"Oh, a pacifist, huh? But still an inventor. I think his idea of robot helpers for Katkind is a good one though there should be some stringent safeguards to go with them. He's a nice fellow and I'm glad Elora likes him," Hadrian said thoughtfully. "Do you feel better about her staying with him?"

Feral sighed but nodded his head. "I still don't like being parted from her but...yes...I am relieved she will be well protected and cared for."

"Good then when the SWAT Kats take her Monday morning, I'll be right there by your side to make the transition as easy as possible on you and a shoulder to cry on afterwards," Hadrian promised, his face serious.

"You are beginning to know me far too well," Feral said ruefully.

"I'm working on it, Uly, I'm working on it."