RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Just as the conspirators feared, Dark Kat set his plan in motion just two days later. It was late evening to Jaynard's surprise. Perhaps the sinister Kat felt darkness would give him the edge against the defenders and catch everyone off guard even more.

He was right. Jaynard nearly missed his arrival since the Fear Ship was nearly silent. He only knew about it because he happened to be patrolling the outer fence line at the time and heard the loud hum of his approach. Looking up, he just made out the completely black Fear Ship as it came over the fence to hover near the entrance to the plant.

Wasting no time, he signaled T-Bone.

At the garage, Chance and Jake were watching a little TV before heading to bed after a very long day working on vehicles. Chance felt the buzz of the signal and nearly jumped from his seat. He controlled himself, pretended to yawn and stretch, and rose from the couch.

"I'm beat. Going to crash now, how about you?" He asked his partner.

"Yeah, you're right, I'm tired too. This waiting is just too draining." Jake said shutting off the TV.

"I know what you mean buddy." Chance said pretending a relaxed but tired mien when really inside he was anxious to leave.

They went upstairs and said good night then disappeared behind their bedroom doors. Chance stood still in the middle of his room and waited tensely. He heard Jake go to the bathroom. He waited until he heard the shower go on before flicking his light off then carefully slipping out his bedroom window which faced the rear of the garage. Using his glovatrix, he had left in his room just in case, he rappeled to the ground and ran toward the other entrance to the hangar.

The tricky part was getting the Turbokat out without alerting his partner. He hurriedly got changed, paused to grab the weapons off Jake's work bench then climbed into the jet and started the engines. Taxiing out, he immediately went to hover mode, the least noisy way to leave the area without Jake hearing him...he hoped.

As soon as he was far enough away, he engaged thrusters and shot away to the Nuclear Power Plant at maximum speed. Upon arrival to the area, he slowed his flight and went to hover. He didn't want Dark Kat to know he was there as yet. He hit the signaler to tell Jaynard he had arrived.

Jaynard had been watching Dark Kat's ship tensely while he waited for T-Bone. The night appearance was skewing some of their plans but they couldn't back out now. He just prayed neither Razor or Feral appeared until they had accomplished what they had planned.

The signaler went off in his pocket. He quickly looked around and spotted the Turbokat hanging just toward the right of the entrance but far enough away that Dark Kat wouldn't have noticed him yet. As for the criminal, he seemed to be waiting for something. Jaynard suspected it was for Viper to get into position before he made his move. This, actually, would make things far easier for the conspirators.

T-Bone grimaced to himself. The plan had already altered significantly from what they had discussed. He just hoped it didn't blow up in their faces. He used his x-ray scanner to locate Jaynard and found him not far away. Carefully, he moved even further away from the entrance and landed.

Jaynard watched T-Bone land inside the fence. He had already alerted the security around the plant of the plan to use the SWAT Kats to take out Dark Kat. None were very happy about that but obeyed orders so no alarm went out when the Turbokat landed. Jaynard trotted over to the jet quickly. The canopy was open as he leaped up onto the wing and dropped into the weapon's seat.

"Well, things have changed from what we hoped." T-Bone said grimly.

"Yes, actually they are better than we could have imagined. Dark Kat is waiting and I'm certain its because he's letting Dr. Viper get into position first. This is a really good thing because now we can take him out just as he moves in to start his plan. The alarm will only just be going out by the time we catch him in the act and take him out." Jaynard said positively as he quickly familiarized himself with the weapon's panel and noted that he needed to install the special laser where Razor had already removed the previous one.

"Yeah, well that's certainly true. I left Razor getting ready for bed so he doesn't have a clue I've even left so I guess you're right." T-Bone said, a little relieved. "How you coming with the install?" He asked as he heard Jaynard moving about behind him.

"Just about got it!" Jaynard grunted. "Have to wire it up now then I'm ready."

T-Bone kept his eyes on Dark Kat's ship. Some tense minutes passed when he spotted movement. "Heads up Jaynard! He's on the move."

"I'm ready!" The Major acknowledged.

The next few minutes were a confusion of noise, alarms, and the sound of battle. Dark Kat fired his lasers at the entrance showing his might. The security bolstered by hidden enforcers opened fire with everything they had which Dark Kat just brushed off with his force field. The Turbokat swept in and engaged Dark Kat for a few moments to make the criminal cocky, over confident and certain no one could take him down then T-Bone lined the jet up for Jaynard to take his shot.

With pinpoint accuracy worthy of his partner, Jaynard scored a direct hit. Razor's weapon did as advertised. Dark Kat's force field went down with a splash of sparks then the ship itself began to shake apart. It was a grim scene, as everyone watched the ship shatter to pieces including its passengers and shower particles no bigger than one's paw all over the landscape.

T-Bone shivered at the total destruction of their enemy. It felt wrong somehow but also a great relief that they would no longer be plagued by him. He was startled by a radio call.

"T-Bone, you there?" Came a familiar voice.

"Yeah, Lieutenant. I didn't think you were on duty?" He asked in surprise.

"I wasn't, but I did stay at headquarters so that I could respond as soon as I got the alert. I raced here ahead of my uncle and the rest of the chopper flight. They are on their way here now. Since the plan has already strayed completely from the original, what do you intend to do now?" Felina asked flying along side the jet.

Jaynard answered, "I think we should just go ahead and use the Turbokat and finish this. We'll be done before Feral and Razor can get here or respond."

"Good idea! I'll stay here and delay my uncle. Where's Razor now by the way?" She asked.

"He's at home and totally unaware of what's going on." T-Bone said grimly.

"Man, I don't envy you later, T-Bone." Felina said in sympathy.

"Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it either. We better get going. See you later, Lieutenant." T-Bone said signing off.

"Good luck!" She said in parting then cut the comm. She quickly moved off to check the damage done by Dark Kat and begin the clean up.

T-Bone sent the Turbokat at maximum speed for Megakat Towers. He took a higher altitude to avoid the arriving enforcer squadron. He left the enforcer channel open to keep an ear for where Feral was at all times.

Meanwhile, at the garage, Jake had heard something while in the shower. He shut the water off and listened. He could swear he had heard the Turbokat. Frowning, he quickly dried off, stepped out of the bathroom and knocked lightly on Chance's door. Getting no answer, he opened it and found it empty.

Cursing furiously, he ran to his room and threw on some underwear then raced down the stairs to the hangar. Checking his work bench first, he screamed in fury when he discovered what Chance had done. Running to his locker, he dressed rapidly then ran for a cyclotron. As he raced for the Nuclear Power Plant he tuned into the enforcer band.

As he raced along, he heard nothing for some miles then as he was within a couple of miles of the plant he heard the battle, the brief chatter from enforcer headquarters, then the explosion and subsequent destruction of Dark Kat's Fear Ship.

He halted the cyclotron just a half a mile from the plant and watched his enemy disintegrate. Inside he was thrilled his weapon had truly worked but at the same time was furious that it hadn't been he that had done the final touch. His partner was going to get an earful when he caught up with him. He switched frequencies to try to reach his partner but was startled to discover he was shut out. His partner had obviously messed with his radio. He looked up when he heard the Turbokat go to maximum thrusters and head back to the city.

Razor gritted his teeth as he realized where his partner was going next. He would not make it there in time to catch up and it pissed him off. Over his radio he heard Feral. Jerking his head back around, he could make out the enforcer squadron arriving at the scene.

'Feral shouldn't be here! He should have been already taken out.' He thought angrily.

In renewed fury, Razor raced his cyclotron toward the entrance where he could see a chopper landing. He arrived, spraying gravel and just in time to prevent Feral from striding toward the plant entrance. He shut his engine and leaped off, dumping his helmet then confronted Feral.

Feral was furious. He had been delayed by numerous problems before he could respond to the alarm at the Nuclear Plant. Some of the problems were suspicious but he couldn't pin down who the culprit was or if it had truly been an unusual series of mishaps. However, the fact he couldn't find Felina or Major Jaynard begged the question that it might have been planned. He couldn't pursue that now. But as he arrived on scene, he could see there was nothing left of his hated enemy. He was both relieved and furious to be deprived of his chance to end it personally.

Now, as if things weren't annoying enough, here was Razor getting in his face.

"Where do you think you're going?" Razor hissed furiously.

"Doing my job!" He spit back then blinked in confusion. "Wait a minute! What are you doing here? And where is your partner?"

Razor scowled angrily and spit out, "He double crossed me and you. He took my weapons and finished Dark Kat."

Feral gaped at him. He never dreamed the big SWAT Kat would do something like this. Wait! If he had done this then he was already on his way to take Viper.

"He's gone to finish Viper!" He said aloud.

"I know!" Razor said angrily. "There's no way we're going to be able to catch him before he finishes the job. We've been screwed."

"Yes, but it was for your own good...both of you!" Came a familiar voice, angrily admonishing them. Felina strode up out of the darkness to confront them. "We couldn't allow you two to ruin your lives for revenge. You need to get past this and move on. You have a different reason now, one that hasn't a choice in the first place." She said firmly.

"Felina! What are you doing here? You were a part of this?" Feral asked in shocked surprise.

"Yes Uncle. Though Dark Kat messed those original plans up a bit, it actually worked better this way and for your information, Razor...it's not T-Bone whose doing the deed. He's just the transport. Major Jaynard is black ops and this is part of his job. His government instructed him to take out the enemy...permanently. That is what he's doing." She told them.

Razor and Feral stood there in shocked surprise. A total stranger was solving their problems for them.

"Don't take it so hard, Razor. It was you after all that made it possible for Jaynard to complete his mission. That should be enough for you both." Felina said quietly then she walked off to leave them alone.

Neither Kat said a word for some moments. Then over Feral's radio they heard an alert.

"Feral here! Report!" Feral barked into it.

"Sir, Dr. Viper had vines growing all over the towers again but the SWAT Kats arrived and fired some weird beam at them and they all shriveled up leaving the building intact if a bit messy then fired a missile at Viper as he was trying to escape that turned him into a liquid pile of goo. That's just nasty, sir. No one is really willing to clean that up. The Turbokat has left already. What are your orders?"

Feral just stared at his radio for a long moment. He took a breath and relayed the normal orders for clean up and clicked off. He lowered the radio and stared at Razor.

"It's over!" He said in stunned amazement.

"Yeah." Razor said, unable to decide whether to be relieved, angry, bitter, or lost. He ended up feeling nothing. In a flat, distant voice, he said, "Don't go near the plant, there's no need for you to anyway. Go home and rest."

Feral just stared at him equally uncertain how to feel about this turn of events. Razor turned and made for his cyclotron. Putting his helmet on, he glanced back at Feral a moment longer, then started his bike and tore away.

Shaking his head in bewilderment, Feral turned around and went back to his chopper. Inside, the Sergeant had been monitoring the radio and was greatly relieved to know it was all over and no one had been hurt especially the ones they had been trying to protect. Feeling better about his part in the plot he engaged the chopper and took his Commander back to headquarters.