RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


*-*

It was a glorious morning and Alan felt rested and in shape as he strolled through the emergency reception, looking for one of the doctors he needed to have a word with. Normally he stayed the hell away from this area of the hospital. It was too filled with drama and sad stories for him, and now lately he couldn't stand the smell there either, it was making him queasy. But today had started so well for the small lawyer that he felt well enough to even conquer the smell of fear as people were rushed in, looked at and then rolled away. And as he went there looking the doors flew up as another one floating between life and death was rolled in by an ambulance crew.

"We have a car crash here, female, 48 years old, bleeding heavily!!!" the man in charge screamed as the doctors on call rushed to the stretcher's side. Amongst them was Billy Kronk, the very doctor Alan was searching for. Kronk had a look on a smashed face, covered in blood and let out a gasp as he recognised the torn face.

"Holy crap, it's The Dragon!" he yelled, making more doctors and nurses rush to. Alan stopped dead, in the middle of a step. Was his hearing failing him?? What did Kronk say?? Slowly he approached the stretcher, struggling to see the person being tapped, examined and diagnosed. He tried to peer through, but all he saw was a bloodstained, limp hand.

"Excuse me; I need to speak with Kronk!" Slowly he worked his way through the crowd that was gasping with horror as they watched the lifeless person struggling to stay alive. Finally he reached Kronk's side, only to get shoved aside by the very same man.

"Don't get in my way, Eel!!! I'm trying to save a life here!!!" he barked as he pushed Alan away, staining his suit with the blood of the patient.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to…" Alan excused helplessly: "I just… I had to ask you if I heard you right…"

"Yes, it's the Dragon!! Now get the hell away from my sight Eel, so that I can get to work!!!" Billy roared in the same second as the woman on the stretcher flat lined. One of the nurses pushed Alan away from the scene, and before he knew it he fell down on the floor as his dream vanished before his eyes. If Dreyford died he would loose the baby. All he had hoped for would be flushed down the drain, his hopes crushed beyond imagination. More doctors rushed to the emergency reception as the rumour about The Dragon spread like wildfire through the corridors, and several of them stumbled over Alan on their way to see for themselves.

"Open her up! We need to work her heart!!!!" Billy Kronk howled: "Page Jeffrey!!!"

Alan slowly got to his feet and crept away, the sound of Billy's orders echoing in his ears.

"We're loosing her!" was the last he heard before the door shut behind him. Aaron Shut, the top brain surgeon of Chicago Hope collided with the lawyer as he too rushed towards the emergency room.

"Hey, watch it, Alan!" he yelled, already down the hall, not noticing the distraught face of his colleague.

He sat down behind his desk, face dissolving in tears, as both hands clasped the treasure he was about to loose. Dreyford couldn't die, she had to survive!! Jeffrey was the best of the best; he would fix her up so that she could continue her secret experiment. After a while he felt ashamed of his wallowing in self-pity, after all there were another life at stake here too. So he rose wearily to his feet to find Philip. He would know the status on Ms. Dreyford.

The gloom on Philip's face as he entered told it all.

"She died, didn't she," he muttered as he dumped down in a chair. Philip nodded.

"Fifteen minutes ago. She died on the table, Jeffrey wasn't able to save her…" Alan closed his eyes as the pain in his chest reappeared. So it was over then, he wouldn't have his family after all.

"I'll notify her family," he mumbled and struggled to keep calm on the exterior.

"She didn't have one," Philip said: "She's left no loved ones as far as I know. That woman was too preoccupied with her lab rats to settle down." Alan's eyes darted upwards in disbelief.

"That's not correct!" he said: "She once told me how great it was to be a mother! I'm sure she has a family!"

A confused gaze searched the lawyer.

"She has NO family, Alan. I don't know why she said it was great to be a mother, I'm one hundred percent sure she wasn't!"

How could he have been so stupid. The great tale of the greatness of motherhood was just another little trick to have Alan biting the bait. Alan could have slapped himself for his naivety. He could feel his stomach squirm with unease and knew he'd better head for the men's room pretty quick. But he couldn't leave yet.

"What… happened to her?" he asked wearily, rubbing his forehead with a cold palm.

"Apparently she fell asleep behind the wheel and crashed into a concrete wall," Philip told him. She's probably stayed up half the night working again.

Alan rushed to his feet and excused himself in a hurry. He had to go through her files and destroy incriminating material before anyone else got to it!!! He forgot all about his nausea as he hurried down the corridors on his way to Dreyford's lab. His heart raced as he snook inside her office. Working in a daze, he blocked out the urge to lay down and cry for what he'd lost this day. He had to cover his tracks, then he could go home and wither away.

Alan had no idea of how long he'd been emptying Marion Dreyford's office of evidence, but finally he was all done. He stuffed the papers and various floppy disks in an empty paper bag and went as fast as he could down the hallways, rushing for the exit.