RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Spike stood at the top of a hill and looked out over the town below him. He and Riley had been out for hours, just exploring the beautiful country around them. Spike looked behind him. Riley was lying on his back in the soft green grass with his hands tucked behind his head. Spike smiled. He looked like a normal country boy right then.

Spike walked over and flopped down on the grass. He slung an arm over Riley's waist and put his head on Riley's chest.

"You know," Riley murmured. "I'm starting to like it here."

Spike smiled. "I like it here, too. Other then most of the Elders. It's...free."

Riley nodded. He reached up and stroked Spike's hair.

Spike fell silent for a while. Then he said quickly. "I wanna do it."

Riley moved his head enough so he could see Spike and Spike tilted his up. "Do what?"

"I mean, could it really be so bad? They do it here all the time. 'Sides, I always wanted a little girl."

Riley's jaw dropped when he realized what Spike was saying. He sat up. "You want to...?"

Spike shrugged. "Well...why not? I mean, you said you wanted one, once. And I guess it's not so bad. And...I don't want this place to die." He smiled a little nervously. "So what do you say? Wanna make a baby?"

Riley burst out laughing. He hugged Spike. "Spike, you are so weird. Yeah, lets make a baby."

Riley bent his head and kissed Spike. Spike fell backwards, pulling Riley with him.

An hour later Spike was laying pressed against Riley again. He drew patterns on his chest. He felt satisfied this time. He smiled, letting one hand fall to run over the grass. He liked the feel of it under his bare skin.

Riley's big hand started stroking his hair. "How're you doing?"

"I'm trying not to...how did Xander always put it? Freak out?"

Riley laughed. "I think you're entitled to," He said.

"Can I scream?" Spike laughed.

"I think you did enough of that," Riley teased. Spike rolled his eyes.

Spike heard the sound of voices. He grabbed his jeans and Riley quickly did the same when he heard them. Spike didn't bother with his shirt or shoes, and was surprised when Riley didn't, either.

Emnel and Jared appeared. Emnel grinned when he saw them.

"It's fun in the grass, isn't it?" Jared said with a laugh.

"Sure is," Riley answered. Spike flashed him a 'thank you for not freaking out' smile.

"Here for any reason?" Spike asked.

"Actually Emnel and I were just taking a walk. We like it up here." Jared answered.

Spike looked at Emnel. Emnel was looking at Jared in a way Spike recognized very well. He elbowed Riley and tilted his head toward Emnel. Riley grinned when he realized what was going on.

"What?" Emnel asked.

"Nothin'," Spike stood up and grabbed his shirt and shoes. "We're gonna go. Bye."

The two ran down the hill. As soon as they were out of ear shot Spike started laughing.

"Emnel's in love with Jared," Spike said. "I can't bloody believe Jared hasn't noticed."

"I know, he's clueless," Riley laughed.

Riley headed toward their room when they got to the Spirit House. Spike stopped.

"you go ahead," Spike said. "I didn't get to finish my poking around."

Riley rolled his eyes and continued to the room.

Spike turned and jumped when he nearly banged into Alend. He tried to keep from shivering under Alend's icy stare.

"You want somethin'?" Spike asked.

Alend glanced down toward Spike's stomach. "Have you mated, yet?"

"Maybe," Spike said slowly. He started to back away.

With a flick of Alend's wrist, Spike found himself pinned against the wall. He struggled desparately against the invisible bonds.

"Funny way to treat the person who's supposed to save you," Spike said, smirking. He wasn't going to let this man have the pleasure of seeing any fear.

Alend glared. "I am not a patient man. If you don't make love with your mate, you will find the results most unpleasant."

Alend turned and walked off. Spike felt the bonds break and leaped away from the wall. He considered going back to the room, but realized if Alend was watching him, that would seem like a sign of weakness. Instead, he turned and walked outside.

Six children were playing a game with one of the wooden balls. A boy who couldn't have been any older then six spotted him. He had curly blond hair and big blue eyes that got even bigger when he saw him.

"Look, look!" He yelled to the others. They all looked.

The boy raced over to him. "Are you...?" he left the question hanging.

"Am I who?" Spike asked, kneeling down so he was at eye level with the boy.

"Are you the Maren Teli?" The boy asked.

Spike shrugged. "I guess so."

The boy's eyes grew impossibly bigger. "Wow! Guys, it's really him!"

Spike was suddenly surrounded by little kids with a thousand questions. What was it like to be so important, was he pregnant yet, was it really true Solax men couldn't get pregnant, was he scared of getting pregnant? Spike found most of the questions revolved around the Harun'Di.

After a while the kids left, except for the little boy.

"What's your name?" The boy asked.

"Spike," Spike answered. "What's yours?"

"William. But everybody calls me Willy." He answered.

Spike sat down in the grass. Willy sat in front of him.

"How come Solax men can't go through Harun'Di?" Willy asked.

Spike shrugged. "We weren't made to. Don't want to. It kind of makes me nervous thinking about it."

"Why?" Willy asked. "My daddy had a boyfriend before he met mommy. He says giving birth to me wasn't so bad. Besides, don't you like to make life?"

Spike paused. He hadn't thought about it that way. This wasn't just something to save the worlds, this wasn't just an object to help a prophecy...this was life. Spike smiled.

"Yeah, I guess," Spike said.

A woman who looked to be in her mid thirties walked toward them.

"Willy! Come on, it's time for..." She trailed off when she saw Spike. Her eyes grew wide and she dropped a quick curtisy.

"Please don't do that," Spike said. "It makes me feel funny."

She smiled. "Do Solax people not do that?"

"I'm a nothing to them," Spike said.

She looked confused but didn't say anything. "Was Willy bothering you?"

"No," Spike smiled. "He's fine."

She smiled again. "Well, he has to come home for now. Come on, Willy. You can visit your new friend later."

"Can I come over after dinner and meet your mate?" Willy asked.

"Uh...sure," Spike shrugged.

"Yay!" Willy grinned and then raced off after his mother.

Spike got up and walked back to the room. Riley was sitting on one of the couches. He had a pad and pencil in his hand. Spike walked over and curled up to his side.

"Whatcha drawin'?" Spike asked.

Riley held up the pad. It was a drawing of them lying on the hill top after making love.

"I like it," Spike said. "Draw more?"

Riley smiled. "Okay."

"There's a little boy that's going to come over later," Spike said after a minute. "I met him out on the street. His name's Willy."

Riley smiled again. "I know. I went outside for a minute a little while ago and saw you surrounded by kids."

Spike laughed. "I kind of liked it. Willy's kind of neat. You'll like him."

Riley put the pad aside and pulled Spike closer to him.

"He made me think about this differently." Spike said. "I kept thinking about something for a prophecy. But Willy asked me if I liked to make life." Spike smiled. "It makes it seem...I dunno. A lot nicer."

Riley reached up and stroked Spike's hair. "I started thinking about that, too. I think it would be nice."

Spike grinned. "Well, then, I think we need to try some more, don't you?"

"What if Willy comes?"

"I'll bet he's watched before," Spike said with a shrug. "Come on." He stood up and tugged Riley toward the bed. Riley laughed.

"Okay, okay." He said. He kissed Spike. "I surrender."

Spike laughed. "I'm supposed to do that," he said. Riley rolled his eyes, then grinned.

"Okay, then. I'll make you surrender."