RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


With their plans laid and a home picked out, the pair enjoyed a wonderful and playful weekend. On Monday morning, Feral dutifully contacted a specialist and was able to get an appointment that day.

His new doctor wasn't particularly happy that the Chief Enforcer had delayed his prenatal care and let him know it in no uncertain terms.

"I don't think you realize how much danger you put yourself and your unborn kitten in, Commander. Despite the trouble you endured and confusion about your situation, your primary thoughts should have been about the welfare of the young life you conceived. It didn't decide to be here, you did that. Well that's water under the bridge now. At least neither of you suffered to dangerous a harm when you were kidnapped," Dr. Longfur said with a sigh.

"So, now you will heed everything I say from now on and I'll do everything I can to help you deliver a healthy kitten and survive it yourself."

Feral blanched when he heard that last statement. "What do you mean survive?"

Dr. Longfur gave him a hard look. "Herms have an incredibly hard time with pregnancy and delivery because their organs are a bit mixed up. It's a nightmare for us physicians. The biggest concern is the delivery as you are not really designed to give birth even though you do have a vaginal opening. It is, unfortunately, unable to open wide enough for a kitten's head and to further complicate matters, your pelvis is designed wrong for delivery. There really isn't an option but to take the kitten by C-Section."

Feral paled at that. "So that makes it safer?" He asked in a rather small, fearful voice.

"No! But it has a higher degree of succeeding and allowing both of you to survive. Again your insides are mixed up enough so getting to the uterus is not so straight forward. Despite the risks to the kitten, we have to do an x-ray to see how you look in there and how best to remove the kitten when it's time," Longfur said gravely.

"Wait! What about my previous x-rays? I've had many taken before," Feral asked, very concerned for the kitten's welfare.

"Hmmm," Dr. Longfur paused and thought about that alternative. "That might be sufficient but I'd have to see them before I can decide. An ultrasound will see how the kitten is doing and where it is. If the x-rays have enough data for me to see where everything in your belly is located then we won't have to do more. Have your physician send them over immediately."

"Yes sir," Feral said meekly.

Over the next hour he endured a lengthy discussion about managing his pregnancy, had blood drawn, and an ultrasound done. It was exciting to see his little one for the first time. It was healthy and doing well so far. With bottles of vitamins and instructions in paw, he finally managed to escape the doctor's office.

Sighing in relief but at the same time harboring fear over the delivery, he made the decision to go see his mate right away rather than wait until the end of the day.

Jake knew something was up when he saw Feral drive into the yard an hour before lunch. The tom had an anxious look on his face as he got out of his hummer. Stopping what he was doing, Jake called out to friend who was at the back of the garage.

"Chance, your mate is here and looks worried."

The tabby hurried to the front of the garage, meeting Ulysses at the door. Seeing how upset his mate was, he ushered him into their break area and made him sit on the couch while Jake got him some water.

As Chance took a seat by his mate and Jake handed Feral a glass filled with cold water, he asked, " What happened love?"

Feral gave the small tom a grateful nod and sipped some water before answering his mate. "Good news is the kitten is fine and healthy. The bad news is, delivery will be dangerous and will require a C-section. Even that is no guarantee that we'll survive it."

Chance sucked in a breath, fear gripping his heart but he managed to stay calm and ask, "but what did he say about your chances in particular, love?"

"He wouldn't say until he views the x-rays taken of my belly before I got pregnant. If they aren't clear enough for him, I'll have to get new ones which will risk the kitten. He'll let me know as soon as he can what my chances are then or whether I need to take new x-rays. The waiting is going to be soo hard!"

Chance hugged his mate tightly as he could see Ulysses was on the verge of breaking down. This was frightening news. Feral buried his face in his mate's neck fur and clung to him. Of all the things he'd endured in his life as an enforcer this was the most terrifying and he didn't know how to deal with it.

Jake felt helpless in the face of such scary news. There was nothing he could do but pray that mother and kitten did survive. The only thing now was to keep the mother's spirits up and give him as much encouragement as they could that things would come out alright.

"No point in worrying yourself to death, Feral," he said gently but firmly. "Wait for the doctor's call and do everything he's told you to do. Remember, you've survived things that have killed other kats with your own brand of uncanny luck. Hold on to that and we'll all pray you both survive safe and whole."

Chance gave his friend a grateful look while Feral tried to take hope from the smaller tom's words of wisdom. It still wouldn't make the wait any easier.

After he left his mate, Feral went back to work and tried to concentrate but it was difficult. His worry made him irritable and disagreeable toward his officers who did their best to avoid him as much as they could.

Unfortunately, Sgt Fallon could not escape so had to endure his superior's more sour than usual behavior. He wished he knew what the problem was so he could try to ease it but Feral still kept everyone in the dark about his condition.

However, when Feral had to see Ms. Briggs later that day about a matter concerning the clean up of the city after the battle with Dark Kat, his foul temper made her stop in mid sentence and frown. She got up from her seat and closed her door, locking it. Returning to stand before Feral, she crossed her arms and gave him a stern look.

"Look! I can cut you some slack for your behavior because pregnancy makes one very irritable at times but this goes beyond just being touchy and I won't stand for it. Just what is troubling you so much that you're snapping and snarling at me before we've even begun discussing why you are here?" She demanded.

Feral sucked in a breath about to blast her for calling him to task then deflated immediately. She was right, he was being really churlish and his only excuse was fear. Blushing in embarrassment he murmured, "I'm sorry Callie. I'm afraid and its making me crazy right now," he admitted.

Callie immediately looked concerned and reached out a paw to touch his arm, offering what comfort she could. "Why are you scared...is it the kitten?"

"I...I was just told delivery would be extremely dangerous for me and my kitten. Because of my differences, my doctor said I would require a C-Section but even with that he said our odds at surviving weren't the best."

"Ohhh, Ulysses, I'm sorry he scared you like that. Honestly, some doctors are soo tactless. Trust me, he only said that because he was trying to prepare you for the worst case scenario just as you would during a battle. But really, with the excellent care provided now a days, such incidents are rare even for a male herm like you. So don't get so upset and worry yourself to death about it. Things will work out, I'm certain of it. A C-Section means you'll be in the hospital longer and have a longer recovery but other than that it needn't be something terrifying. It does have its dangers, I won't mislead you there and I may not know about this from personal experience, but I have had friends that had it done both female and one herm I knew a long time ago and they came through the procedure just fine," she reassured him gently.

Feral managed a wane smile. "Thank you, Callie that does make me feel a little better," he sighed, trying to relax a bit.

"Here, have a seat while we cover the things I need discussed and let me get you a cup of tea to help ease you further," she said briskly, giving him a warm smile and pushing him toward a chair. Once he sat down, she went to her serving counter and made him a hot cup of tea then handed it to him. He thanked her. The tea helped and they got through what needed done within an hour. He left her feeling less upset and worried which made the rest of his day easier to bear.

However, it was nerve-wracking to wait more than twenty-four hours for an answer but by late the next day, Feral heard from the doctor. It was the first good news he'd gotten since he'd become pregnant.

"Well, we're in luck, Commander. The x-rays were sufficient so more aren't needed. According to them, a C-Section should be fairly straight forward for you, barring any of the complications I've already briefed you on. Just continue taking care of yourself and I'll do the rest to ensure you deliver safely. See you next week for your appointment," Dr. Lockfur said encouragingly.

"Thank you and I will doctor. See you then," Feral said, relief pouring through him. As soon as he hung up, he called his mate with the good news. Chance was thrilled and relieved as well. Now all they had to do was wait for the kitten to arrive.

Over the next few months, Chance worked on their new home with Jake putting in the new security system while Ulysses purchased new furniture for their place. He had succeeded, with some firm negotiations, in purchasing the adjoining land as well as the house. Jake and Chance worked on clearing the area for a landing field every moment they had free.

Jake had taken Feral's suggestion to heart and had already put feelers out in his Razor persona on-line in selling his ideas. He was shocked and amazed at how phenomenally popular he was and how much people were willing to pay for his designs. Some of his inventions were to aid Kat kind and for those items he charged very little so that his, foam bomb, net missile, mini personal defense devices, mole missile, vibro missile, sky claw and heat suit would be circulated much quicker to those whose job it was to protect the innocent.

As Feral had predicted, their debt to the enforcers was shrinking rapidly. He made enough at the moment to cut back on their work in the garage since this new job of his took a lot of his time.

Chance didn't begrudge his friend his new career. It actually made his life much easier as well as he could spend more time on his new home. He looked forward with eagerness, to the birth of his kitten and spent a lot of his free time (what little there was) in taking care of his mate's every need.

During this time, the city enjoyed the peace it had long sought. Repairs took some time to complete but a month before Feral was due, the new orphanage was finished as was a state of the art insane asylum. Manx grandly stood before the doors of the beautifully built home for orphans and cut the ribbon to a fanfare of cheers and news coverage.

As for the asylum, there was no fanfare when it opened and very few prisoners as yet. The older residents, like Lenny Ringtail had been killed when Dark Kat had callously blown it up. The new residents were fairly harmless...no new criminal masterminds or 'take over the world' megalomaniacs lived here yet much to the relief of the city. The new asylum boasted a strong and effective security system for once, and had much better doctors to treat the patients than before.

Now that the city was calmer, the SWAT Kats found themselves hardly needed at all. However, making it known that the vigilantes would be tolerated when a mega emergency happened, Feral was able to get the city emergency crews to call on them through Enforcer Headquarters to help on things like: mine disasters, a skyscraper fire, oil spill, and other mundane but hazardous mishaps as well as the occasional experiment that had run amok. The SWAT Kats more superior technology reduced fatalities to fewer than ten percent which endeared them to the Katizens and earned them grudging admiration and acceptance from the enforcers and other emergency services.

The birth of their kitten during this time of peace was well timed even if it hadn't been planned. Just two weeks before their kitten was born, Chance and Ulysses finally moved into their new home. They couldn't celebrate the fact, though, as Ulysses was not allowed sex until after the birth. It had moved down into the birth canal and was being watched very closely.

At this time, his condition was now well known as his belly had pushed out far enough to show too easily. It caused consternation for his health among his enforcers and excitement among the ordinary Katizens. Who his mate was, remained hidden despite the reporters every effort to find out. Here Chance and Feral succeeded better than they had hoped in keeping the tabby out of the media frenzy surrounding Feral at this time. Breeding male herms were still very rare so Feral had to endure being harassed by the press wherever he went. His enforcers made it their mission to keep him safe and unmolested.

Waiting was beginning to wear on the two's nerves as Feral became uber irritable and sharp tempered, forcing Chance to tiptoe as if on eggshells around his mate to keep stress levels down. It was with great relief when, on a cloudy, rain threatened dawn, Feral finally went into labor.

They'd been cuddled tightly together under the covers that early morning when Feral moaned and shifted uncomfortably in his sleep. His rather violent movements woke Chance who blinked sleepily, laying still to ascertain what had woke him up. His mate moaned again at that moment making the tabby quickly rise up and turn on a nearby lamp.

Leaning over Feral in concern, he could see the tom's face was scrunched up in pain and his paws were holding his belly. He was panting but before Chance could ask him anything, he groaned loudly again. His mate placed a paw over the distended belly and felt the contraction begin to ease off.

Nodding to himself, he got out of bed and quickly got dressed. He paused at his dresser to activate his communicator he'd left there.

"Yeah, is it time?" Razor asked, waking immediately and fully alert.

"Definitely. Come a running!"

"Roger, be there in five!" The connection cut off.

T-Bone selected a collection of clothing for the trip, grabbed the pre-prepared diaper bag then went to his mate's side.

"Come on, love. Time to have this kitten." He helped his grimacing mate get dressed in a pair of comfortable sweats and pull-over sweatshirt as it was chilly outside then slipped on a pair of loafers before helping his mate stand.

Gritting his teeth, Feral worked hard to walk despite the constant contractions as his mate steadied him and they made their way out the back door, through the rear yard and out the gate to their landing field. The Turbokat waited for them with the ramp down. With Razor at the controls, T-Bone remained in the cargo hold with his mate, helping Feral breathe through the contractions.

They arrived at the hospital within fifteen minutes. Only helping his mate to off load into the doctor's paws, insure the diaper bag went along, then the SWAT Kats quickly took their leave. It was bittersweet for T-Bone who had a hard time letting go his mate at this critical and dangerous time.

Razor had suggested a way he could be there some weeks before. Holding a high position over the hospital, T-Bone changed out of his clothes and into a simple slack and polo shirt covered by an orderly's uniform that covered most of him that they had 'borrowed' a month ago. Since his face wasn't that well known except to a handful of enforcers, Jake had thought he could slip in and be close by for the birth of his kitten.

"Chance, here!" Razor called to his partner who sat behind the pilot's seat for the first time.

"What is it?"

"A camera, buddy! You want to catch that first look don't you?" His friend smirked, handing over a miniature camera.

"Thanks!"

"Okay, here we go!" Razor took the jet as close as he dared to the roof top then Chance went down by rope quickly before he could be seen. Luckily, it was still dark though the sun was beginning to rise in the distance.

As soon as he was down, he scurried for the roof top entry point used by the emergency helicopter. He was in luck, no one was manning the area at the moment since they had left to take Ulysses to the maternity floor.

Pretending this was like any other undercover op he'd performed before, Chance pulled out the fake ID hanging on a lanyard that Jake had made for him then casually walked down the hall as if he belonged there. He took the elevator to the maternity floor and pretended he was doing things as he searched and listened to where his mate might be.

Finally, he overheard some nurses talking about a male herm arrival and where the C-Section was being performed. He moved with purpose toward the surgical doors then found a place to hide outside them while he waited for his mate to come out. He managed to find a spot that allowed him to be invisible but hear everything that went in and out of the suite.

It seemed like a long time, but it was only an hour when a nurse and doctor came out with a kitten in an isolette. The doctor was telling the nurse that the kitten would be fine and the mother would be along in about forty minutes or so. The kitten was to go to the nursery to wait and be checked over. While the two talked, Chance managed to get a glimpse of the kitten and the name on its carrier.

His heart soared as he saw Feral's name then beheld his new daughter. She had Ulysses' hair color and her father's fur color and with stripes surprisingly on her face and tiny arms. He overheard the nurse ask if the male mother was going to be alright and was assured Commander Feral had come through better than hoped and should recover well then the nurse headed off down the hall and the doctor stepped back into the surgical suite.

Chance was torn by whether he should wait here or go. Finally, he decided to follow his kitten and see Uly when he was put into a room. Moving swiftly down the hall, he made his way to the nursery he'd found earlier. Again luck favored him. The window to the nursery had several new relatives standing staring in. One more wouldn't be noticed as he took his place nearby and stared in as well.

His new daughter was being examined and he drank in the sight of her, his arms aching to hold her. She was crying lustily as they examined, weighed then dressed her before laying her down in her bed once more.

It was more than an hour before a nurse began to wheel his kitten from the room. He waited until she was some distance from him before following her. At the end of the corridor, she turned and went past many rooms before stopping at one halfway down. She knocked then rolled the isolette in. She wasn't there long before coming out and walking to the nurses station further down the corridor.

Carefully looking around, he saw the place was extremely busy with morning rounds. Smiling at those he passed genially, he continued his pretense that he knew what he was doing and that he belonged as he made his way down the hall and opened his mate's door.

Sighing in relief to find Uly alone in the room, he hurriedly went to his mate's side.

"Ulysses?" He hissed softly. His mate was pale looking but otherwise alright.

Sleepy eyes opened groggily, really not focusing well, as Chance put his face closer. "Hey love! It's me!"

"Chance..." Feral exhaled out. "The kitten...you see her?"

"Yes, I did. She's beautiful and I'm so proud of you," he murmured lovingly, leaning down and giving Ulysses a kiss.

"Want to see her..." Feral whispered hoarsely.

"Sure, love...just a sec." Chance went around the bed and beheld his new daughter. "Hello, little one!" He whispered as he carefully lifted her tiny body from her bed...she never woke.

She felt so light and small in his big paws as he gently carried her over to her mother. "Here you go, love," he said softly, lowering her carefully into his mate's waiting arms.

Feral blinked until he could see and stared in dazed amazement at the tiny thing in his arms. "She's so tiny," he breathed.

"Yeah, she is that alright. What will we call her?" Chance asked, touching her tiny face with a finger.

"Elora?"

"Really? That's a pretty name and goes well with Furlong. Hello Elora Feral-Furlong! Welcome to our world."