RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Chance took off ahead of Feral, slipping out of the apartment without being seen and heading home at top speed. He wanted to get there first to warn Jake.

Feral took his time, climbing into his hummer and leaving his apartment building, spending the drive ruminating over what they were going to discuss and trying to come up with some answers.

He drove into the quiet yard some twenty minutes later. Parking out of sight behind a stack of crushed metal scrap, he locked his car then walked to the office.

Meanwhile inside, Jake had been apprised of what was going on so that he had an opportunity to think about the problems before they all sat down. By the time Feral walked in, Jake a few ideas fleshed out.

"Glad we have no business this morning so we can talk in relative privacy," Jake said as they all sat down on the ratty couch in their waiting area.

"That's bad for business but good for the time we need right now," Chance said. "So, you have any ideas, buddy?"

"Well, first you two need to find a new home. Somewhere private and secluded would be best."

"I agree. I had some thoughts as to where on my drive over here," Feral said easily. "There's some nice secluded homes in an area that had suffered financial problems that left them in need of unloading these homes at rock bottom prices. I did check them out one day as a thought toward retirement or getaway from the stresses of the job. Despite the contractor being forced to lower the prices, the homes are truly high end and roomy. They have a cottage feel to them while still being high end in everything else."

Chance grimaced. "Probably still too rich for me though."

"Love, I don't want to squash your pride but I do have the greater income and so much of it is stashed away, I can easily buy the house outright without hardly touching my savings at all. But even though these homes are high end, they have been neglected for some time and do need a little TLC. If you're up for it, we can pick our home, I buy it, and you rehab it...how does that sound?"

The tabby stared at his mate frowning but didn't say anything for a long time. Feral shifted in concern. Had he upset his mate? His body language wasn't angry per se, but it wasn't happy either.

"Chance?" He asked hesitantly.

Chance's face cleared and he nodded. "No, you're right Ulysses. You buy it and I'll take care of doing any repairs that might be needed. I can't be upset by the fact you make more than I...that's just the way things are. Besides, in your condition, you couldn't help do the rehab anyway, so I do feel a contributor to our new home," he said firmly, giving his mate a reassuring smile.

Feral relaxed, relief shining from his eyes. "Good, so that's one problem down."

"The next is how do we function as the SWAT Kats when we are separated and how do you and Chance interact when in the field together," Jake jumped in. "First, I can always alert Chance by communicator then go and pick him up on the road as he meets me by cyclotron. No problem, and it prevents anyone from seeing where he came from. That's the other thing...I will set up a heavy duty security system for you. And, depending on what property you buy, I'll check to see if its possible to build a small secret lair under the home for his SWAT Kat stuff with a fast and secret exit," Jake explained carefully.

"Wow! Great idea. I was worried about the security angle but what about me? I would like to fly my chopper since these homes are a ways from town and would keep me from responding quickly so driving to a call isn't a good option," Feral asked.

"Well, again it depends on the kind of place you two find. With luck, you might have a field nearby that you can buy as well and use as your own private landing area. We could also use it as an emergency landing area for the Turbokat as well. And, as an extra layer of security, you would have to disarm your radio and black box in the chopper so you can't be traced. Which, of course, means you can't leave an address with your enforcers. Your cell phone and portable radio need to be altered so they can't be traced as well."

"Kat's Alive! You do manage to think of all the details, don't you?" Feral said, impressed.

Jake blushed at the compliment. "I do try. However, on the subject of avoiding an accidental reveal of how you feel about each other...I really don't have an idea that would work." He spread his paws showing his helplessness in this sensitive area.

Feral sighed and frowned. "Its in our nature to be worried about a mate and it would be nearly impossible to hide that need to protect the other. I've thought about this one subject the most on the drive over here and the only thing I can come up with is trying to be as circumspect as we can when something happens. No matter how bad it might be, try to keep a lid on the emotional display until we're alone. Other than that...its just a train wreck waiting to happen."

All three sighed and shrugged. Feral was right...it would be only a matter of time before their secret was out but for now they would do their best to keep it hidden.

"Well, there is one good thing that will allow you two to stay a secret for possibly a long time and that's the fact the worst danger to the city has been dealt with," Jake reminded them, trying to lift their spirits and give them hope.

"That's true." Chance said, nodding.

"And that's the greatest piece of luck we've gotten since this business of getting mated started. Thanks Jake for your good ideas, that really relieves my mind considerably," Feral added, pleased by the solutions they'd come to.

"Uh...there might be another worry..." Chance started to say, hesitatingly.

"What's that?"

"Hiding how I'll react when the kitten's born...oh crud! We forgot another important thing...a kitten sitter. We both work and have dangerous jobs. Who can we trust to watch our kitten?"

"Hell, that never occurred to me..." Feral groaned in dismay.

Jake could only sigh and rub his head for a moment in thought. "Look, that need is some months away, so we have time to find a solution. With your other problems dealt with, you should be able to focus on that and have an answer soon enough," he finally said encouragingly.

"Yeah, okay...you're right...no sense getting too worried yet," Chance agreed though his mind was already running over possibilities.

"Speaking of time, when are you due to deliver, Commander," Jake asked politely.

"Oh, uhm...in about three months...end of June...sometime."

"Gee, not really soon. What does your doctor say about delivery? As a male herm, I've heard there could be more complications then if you were a she-kat."

Feral flushed and looked away nervously.

"What's wrong, hon?" Chance asked, concerned.

"Well...I...uh...I'm supposed to see a specialist but haven't done so yet," he said rather shamefacedly.

Chance went still and his heart leaped into his throat. In a careful, tight voice, he said, "you haven't sought medical care yet?"

Feral winced at the note of barely held anger in his mate's tone. "Uh...well what with the omegas and all...and how confused and worried I was about being pregnant...I've sort of dragged my feet on it...a bit."

Chance sat still and worked to rein in his temper. In an even tone, he said, "we are going to find you a specialist on Monday morning and get you in immediately. I wish I could go with you though."

"So do I! I hate those types of exams!" Feral said unhappily.

"Yeah, I'm sure you do but you'll go!" Chance said uncompromisingly.

Feral just ducked his head and nodded.

Jake found that a little amusing to see the powerful Chief Enforcer being gently browbeaten by his former antagonist and him taking it on the chin, as it were. What a strange reversal of roles this was.

"Okay, that sounds like everything that could be dealt with at this time has been. What are you two planning to do for the rest of the day? I'm assuming, Chance, that you don't intend to hang around here with me," Jake asked, smirking at his friend, a knowing look in his eye.

"Oh, uh...I don't know...we hadn't discussed the rest of the day..."

"We'll go look at those houses right now," Feral jumped in.

"Right, that's a good idea. You sure you're okay with me going, buddy," Chance turned to ask his friend.

"Yeah. Looks like it's going to be another one of those slow days anyway. Go on and good luck house hunting," Jake said waving them off.

"Let's go in my hummer. I'll bring you back later," Feral decided, getting up and leading the way to his vehicle. Finding no reason to object, Chance tagged alone in his wake.

The drive was over forty-five minutes long. Chance now understood why Ulysses wanted to use his chopper for his commute. They had driven through the city center then on past the limits to the forest that was nestled at the foot of the north mountain range.

Winding their way through the trees, they encountered no one. The only thing that told them there was civilization out this way was a weather beaten sign that advertised the development called Forest Glen on it. They finally arrived in an area where the road seem to end. A modest building sat there by itself and a sign proclaimed it as Honor's Realty/Construction Company Inc.

As they came abreast of the building, Chance could see the road took up again behind the building after you went through a closed metal gate.

"There's no one here today so would you go and open the gate, please," Feral requested as he halted the hummer before the gate.

"Sure, love." Chance got out and walked up to the gate. It was a simple latch system. He opened that then pushed the gate forward until it stayed on the opposite side. He returned to the hummer and climbed back in.

Feral drove up the road a short piece until it branched into many roads. He seemed to pick one at random and drove for five minutes until he reached a home hidden in the trees. Chance stared at it with a jaundiced eye.

"Nope, I don't even want to get out to look at it," he said bluntly.

"No problem!" Feral pulled out and went back till he was at the branches and took another road.

This house had some promise so they got out to look around but after only a few minutes, weren't happy with it. For the next hour they check several of the houses. Finally, they stopped at a house that seemed to have what they were looking for.

It was really nice on the outside. It had wooden siding that allowed it to blend into the forest very nicely. The front yard was left natural except for the drive which went far to the left and behind where a very nice two car garage stood. Entry into the house could be made from the rear of the garage, Chance noted.

Feral pulled up to the garage door and parked. They walked around the whole outside and found the backyard was small and fenced but had a gate that led to the forest beyond. They opened it and peered into the forest. Chance spotted a clearing through the trees and made for it. Trees had been chopped down to apparently build another house but this was probably when the project ran out of funds.

Looking around, he nodded and called to his mate who still stood at the edge of the clearing. "This will be perfect for a hidden landing field, don't you think?"

"Needs to be cleared properly, but yeah, I think its perfect. I think this is the house I looked at before and rather liked. Let's take a look."

"Sure." Chance quickly rejoined his mate and went to the house. The back door was unlocked and they went in.

After thirty minutes, they left by the back door in a good mood.

"This is it! Since its empty, we should be able to close quickly then begin on the repairs," Feral said, smiling, pleased their search had ended.

It was moving onto lunch time when they left the area to head back to the yard. They stopped at a drive in for food, picking up something for Jake. When they arrived, Jake was sorting junk not far from the gate and waved at them as they passed through.

"Jake, we got food! Come eat!" Chance shouted out his window.

Jake waved a paw showing that he'd heard then Feral drove to the spot he'd parked at before and shut the hummer off. They climbed out and made for the break area, Jake coming to join them.

"Well, we found the perfect place...even has a clearing in the trees that apparently was supposed to be another house. Need to be cleared...has tree stumps all over it but it is the right size for a discrete landing field," Chance said, happily as he handed his friend his share of the food.

"That's great news. Congrats you two!" Jake said, grinning.

"Thanks! Anyway, Uly will call the realtor and make the buy for both places on Monday. I can't wait to get started making repairs," Chance enthused.

They talked about what needed to be done to the place while they ate their lunch. When they finished, Chance asked, "still quiet around here?"

"Yeah. Thought I'd do some of the stuff we never had time to...being so busy and all. The jet is ready so nothing I need to do there and I've already made sure our weapons are primed, loaded and ready as well. Nothing to do but tidy up the yard," Jake said, shrugging.

Something clicked in Feral's mind when Jake mentioned weapons and the two's chronic shortage of funds to pay off their debt.

"Jake?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you ever thought about selling your weapon's designs?"

Jake faced took on a stony cast. "Once that was all I wanted to do until someone stole my ideas while I was still in graduate school. Because I complained and made a stink about it, I was black balled by the CEOs of Pumadyne and couldn't get anyone to hire me. That's when I went into the enforcers."

Feral blinked in shocked surprise. That had never been in his file and it made him furious to see yet another example of greed destroying someone's life.

"I'm sorry that happened to you. I've certainly seen it often enough in this job. But...wait...only as Jake Clawson are you black balled...and honestly, I wish I could get you justice for that bit of nastiness...but as Razor you could sell yourself outside Megakat City easily, I'm certain of it!"

Jake gaped at Feral in shocked surprise. "Shit! Why the hell didn't I think of that?"

"Probably because you were too busy to have time to think about it but now that things have calmed down around here, you should have time to follow your dreams even if its under a different name. I bet you could pay your debt off in less than a year with the kind of income you'd make doing what you do best...invent the best damn weapons I've ever seen and don't forget you also have non-weapon tools that many agencies would love to have like the foam bomb and the net missiles for animal control...just to name a few."

"Wow! You're right!" Chance said in awe, as he thought about the implications. "Jake, you could make a fortune!" He said excitedly to his friend.

Jake could only shake his head as his mind raced with the possibilities. "You know..." he said slowly, "we don't need to run a garage any longer if I do make a lot of money. That would allow you to be a full time father, Chance."

Chance stilled and thought about that. "Gee, that would be cool though I would still need a kitten sitter when I'm called out as a SWAT Kat. I like it!"

"You guys go enjoy your weekend. I've got a lot of research and thinking to do," Jake said distractedly as he got up and went downstairs to his work station.

"Gee, he didn't even say goodbye," Chance chuckled. "That was the best and most incredible idea, my love. Our future looks bright now!"

"Glad to help out. So how about we go home for some one on one time, hmmm?" Feral asked coyly, batting his eyelashes at his mate.

Chance's expression became darkly passionate as he murmured huskily while wrapping an arm possessively around his mate's waist as they walked out of the garage, "now that's another very good idea, my love!"