RSS

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +





*~*~*~*~*


Leonard had been torn about whether or not he wanted to speak any further with the Abrbonians. Nothing they had said had so far had helped him in any way, and he honestly hadn't needed them to confess in order work out who was responsible for his current predicament. On the other hand, he wasn't exactly sure how the whole pact he had made with Ge'Ha and Te'Bora would continue to hold as the identity of the other father was likely to be obvious once the child was born, and that would lead to a hell of a lot of questions. Add to that the fact that Leonard had no idea how to even begin explaining a child that was one quarter Vulcan without referring to what else the Abrbonians had done for him. It would be necessary to talk to them, if only to see if any of the rules had changed regarding what he could or could not say. Leonard felt there would need to be some leeway given the mess they had made, but doubted they saw it the same way. He definitely didn't want to end up being on their bad side, given how being on their good side had turned out. With that in mind, he decided that he should at least meet with M'Potbope and No'Tatop again.

It was with some trepidation that Leonard entered the room where he had arranged to meet the Abrbonians. He was a surprised to see all four Abrbonians in attendance and not just the two he had requested. He did not want to speak the twins. Leonard wasn't sure if he'd ever be ready for that conversation. But once again, it would appear that the Abrbonians had taken the decision away from him. He regretted not being able to have anyone from the Enterprise with him for this discussion, but that would have made it impossible to bring up what needed to be discussed. Both Jim and Spock had objected to him coming alone and convincing them otherwise had been difficult. It wasn't as if he could give them a reason for why he had to go alone, other than telling them that it was simply how he needed it to be done.

"I wasn't expecting all of you," Leonard stated with a soft sigh as he came to a stop just inside the door.

"I do understand," No'Tatop said as he stood and gestured towards the empty chair that sat on one side of the table. All four Abrbonians were sitting on the other side. The configuration was unnerving to say the least. "It is necessary for the twins to be here. It is their duty to formally apologize for not correctly approaching the pregnancy."

Leonard sat in the chair and leaned forward, with his forearms on the table. He growled, "I don't need an apology. I need to have this put right. How am I supposed to explain the child's parentage, especially to the other parent? And he will ask; you can be assured of that. Vulcans love asking questions and expect logical answers."

"There is no need for concern," No'Tatop reassured the man as he too took his seat. "The blame may be laid at our feet. You are no wiser to our motives than anyone else."

"You're not kidding," Leonard muttered to himself before saying, with a sinking feeling, "While that would have worked yesterday, it's not going to work today."

M'Potbope tilted her head slightly to the side, pondering the doctor's words. "May I ask why not?"

"Because the Captain is evil," Leonard snapped and rubbed his temple at the headache he was already feeling. This was not good as the conversation had just started. "He goes asking questions when I'm not up to being surreptitious, and I may have revealed the possibility that I had slept with the other parent, or, at least, answered the question in such a way that made those listening believe that I had, including the other parent, I might add."

"You were quite unwell, so it is understandable that you may have slipped," No'Tatop admitted. "However, the pregnancy cannot change the rules of the agreement. You mustn't reveal what Ge'Ha and Te'Bora did, or what you had to forfeit for them to take the actions that they did."

"Great," Leonard griped. "When the baby comes out with Vulcan features, there are going to be tons of questions, and I don't care if its only one quarter Vulcan: there will be features."

No'Tatop gave a little shake of his head. "You cannot know that for certain, doctor. It is possible that the child will appear completely human. You are borrowing trouble."

"I am not," Leonard snapped back. "It's a very real possibility. Also, bear in mind, there are those who already know the other parent's identity. I am not treating myself and I can tell you that they are going to believe that the best thing for me to do is tell him. Combine that with the pressure I know is going to come from Command and my other friends... I will not be able to maintain secrecy."

"You do not need to keep the other parent secret," M'Potbope reminded him.

"I know that," Leonard growled. "What you do not seem to be getting is that the people who know about the other father are among those who are also convinced that I have slept with that father and are trying to figure out how that is possible given that those two," Leonard waved his hand in the general direction of the twins, "put the man back with his ex-girlfriend when they reworked history. Therefore, there is no way any of this could have happened, whether the other father remembers it or not."

"Not all of this is our doing," M'Potbope stated. She folded her hands in front of her on the table and stared primly at the doctor. She was not as forgiving as No'Tatop had been that the slip had occurred during an attack brought on by the pregnancy. "You revealed something that created that awkwardness. You should not have mentioned the possibility of there having been a sexual relationship."

Leonard jabbed his finger at the twins as his voice rose in agitation. "There wouldn't have been a situation where I could accidentally reveal that if those two hadn't decided to do the whole pregnancy thing. I never asked for, nor did I want, any such thing. As such, I think I should be cut a little slack."

"If someone else were to work out what had happened then you would be able to admit the truth," No'Tatop stated, looking at M'Potbope for confirmation. When she gave a slight inclination of her head, he continued. "This does not allow you to give obvious clues to the situation. You should continue to provide as little information as possible."

Leonard stood up quickly, knocking over the chair he had been sitting on in the process. "If that's all you have to offer in the way of assistance in dealing with the insane circumstances you've put me in, that I be allowed to confirm the truth if someone else works it out, then you are useless to me from this point forward. Thanks for nothing."

"Doctor McCoy," No'Tatop stated in a voice that brooked no argument. "It is essential that Ge'Ha and Te'Bora be allowed to apologize for the mishap."

"Yeah, and I'd like to get through this so-called mishap with my friendships, not to mention my sanity, intact," Leonard growled menacingly. "I've got a funny feeling neither of us is going to get what we want."

On that note, he turned on his heel and stormed out of the room. The effect was slightly spoiled when he ploughed into Spock, who was hovering just outside the door. The two end up sprawling across the floor of the corridor.

"Dammit," Leonard snapped as he looked down at Spock, who was lying beneath him. Not that having someone waiting outside the meeting room came as a surprise to Leonard. However, the fact that it was Spock did startle him a little. He had been expecting the more agitated form known as James T. Kirk. Full body contact with a touch telepath was not a good idea when you didn't have secrets to hide: having it occur when you did have something to conceal was just asking for trouble. More trouble was not something Leonard needed.

"My apologies, doctor," Spock murmured. "I did not expect you to depart at the speed you did."

"Nor did I," No'Tatop stated from above the two, giving Leonard another start. It also snapped him out of his inaction, as he rolled to the side to get a better look at the Abrbonian. It was likely that the man had followed Leonard out of the room with the intention of making him listen to that all-important apology from the twins. That was not going to happen. If they weren't going to be cooperative about the situation, he was going to be just as unhelpful in return. He didn't care if it was childish. If anyone called him on it, he'd claim it was hormones.

Ignoring the Abrbonian, Spock sat up and looked over at Leonard with traces of concern in his features. "Are you unharmed?"

Leonard rolled his eyes at the query and just plain forgot that they were in a hallway and, therefore, could potentially be overheard by anyone passing by as he snapped, "Pregnancy doesn't make me fragile, Spock. I can handle a fall, especially since you were kind enough to break it. I should be asking you, not the other way round."

"Doctor McCoy -" No'Tatop started saying, but Leonard interrupted with a "Not happening."

Spock finally took in the presence of the Abrbonian. His expression was less than friendly as he stood up and brushed himself off, not once taking his eyes off No'Tatop. "Do you have further need of Doctor McCoy? I believe he had declared the meeting closed in the manner in which he departed."

Reaching down to the doctor, the Vulcan helped Leonard up off the floor. "Doctor McCoy, I am aware that you are not fragile. However, you are overly stressed, which, I understand, can increase the chance of injury. I was in a more relaxed condition and, therefore, at lower risk."

Allowing Spock to help him up, Leonard replied, "I guess I should be grateful you aren't spouting statistics on each of our chances of injury. I am perfectly fine, but, as you so nicely pointed out, I am not in the mood to deal with this shit anymore." Turning to look No'Tatop in the eye, Leonard continued. "I have no intention of listening to anything else the twins have to say. I have serious regrets as it is that I ever allowed them to do so much as talk to me, given the situation I now find myself in. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to my quarters before I have another bout of dizziness and end up on the floor for, yet, another reason."

Straightening out his uniform, Leonard elected to simply stroll away this time instead of storming off. He was accompanied by Spock, who was apparently a great Abrbonian deterrent.